Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next Speaker

Comments

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:
    Hahahaha

52/48, basically

What did we do to deserve this trolling from God?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Peston saying Boris should/could accept the A50 extension as a price for calling an election. Makes sense.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    MaxPB said:

Lol Labour MPs now backing the May deal. Too late you complete and utter ****s. Three fucking chances to push it through and now we're going to end up with a disaster no deal because you ****s couldn't stand up and be counted when it mattered.

I have even less respect for those MPs than for Grieve or Baker.

They are utter c*nts who don't even have the excuse of acting from conviction.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Not sure why he bothers. He will be deselected by his constituents anyway.
  • Options

Spineless doesn’t even begin to describe the Scottish Tories. They are pure jelly.
    I dare say there will be a bit of 'if only Saint Ruth's hand was on the tiller' revisionism, but I'm convinced they'd behave in exactly the same way if she was still in charge. We've got the evidence of the last two years to draw on after all.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

DougSeal said:

If Boris fails and the UK remains then on the plus side it will finish Scottish Independence.

And the Tories will have cleared the stables.

If A happens it will finish Scottish independence.

If B happens it will finish Scottish independence.

If C happens it will finish Scottish independence.

... Ad infinitum.

There is always one more straw for the Brit Nats to cling on to. Until there isn’t.
    Quite. You can’t “finish” an idea. An idea may rise and fall in popularity but it will never be “finished”. This binary Manichaeanism is what I find most dispiriting in modern politics.
    If binary Manichaeanism is the thing you find most dispiriting in modern politics then you are a lucky man.

The thing I find most dispiriting about modern politics is that we have no decent journalists to hold the incompetent shits to account.
    The two are related. Increasingly extreme clickbait (“Watch Nigel Farage DESTROY Remoaner caller”) pushes coverage to the extremes in the hope of getting attention, issues are not properly covered, partisan attacks replace the type of analysis required to hold these people to account. There’s too much shouting, too much media full stop.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Adagio: Sehr feierlich und sehr langsam (C♯ minor)

And Boris Johnson heroically watched his majority fall apart.

Think I have made the right call listening to The Vienna Phil on Radio 3.

You could have been listening to Spreadsheet Phil on The Parliament Channel.
    Slumming it in Glasgow again this week :)

Stirling to Alloa done yesterday evening
    Craigendoran to Oban done today - in the pouring rain :)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

What did we do to deserve this trolling from God?

"And if I only could / I'd legislate against no deal with God / And I'd get him to swap our places"
  • Options
    Lucas: "Mogg's body language has been contemptuous tonight"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    To divide society like this and pit one person against another is the start of fascism.

I wonder when the modern, UK version of krystalnaucht will be scheduled?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Scott_P said:
    So for the sake of argument if the unsures split evenly it is 331 vs 303, 52.2% vs 47.8%. Might as well get as close to the referendum percentages as they can, for the symbolism.
  • Options

I rarely agree with her but she is right.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    https://twitter.com/amy_hoggart/status/1168984035575705602

I know he's listening to the speaker, but "the optics" are terrible, and will appear on opposition posters at the election
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Member for Witney now speaking. Oh, the irony.

Robert Courts. The new young MP speaks quite well.
  • Options

I'm no fan of Mogg, but I think criticising people for body language is itself pretty darn petty, I think there are much better angles of attack. Possibly she has seen twitter moaning at his slouching and wants to be down with the kids?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Scott_P said:
    Cummings couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
    I read earlier that it lasted for the whole of that week, and that the same problem would apply every day.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    The 15th (2nd day of Tabernacles) is significantly better than the 14th (the 1st day). The festival ends at nightfall on the 15th, which is around 7pm. So we'd have a few hours to clear up and get down the polling stations. Turnout would still definitely be down.

The other positive of the 15th is that those of us who care would at least be able to watch the results overnight, which would not be the case on the 14th...

Edit: further to the point made by @Chris, there are also those who would refrain from writing during the rest of the (9 days in total) festival, so that's Tuesday evening out as well, and also the rest of the week. It's a much smaller proportion of the community, though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Explain it to me - the master strategy...

Corbyn is unlikely to lose Jewish votes given his issues (because none will vote for him)

Cummings is doing his best to ensure that they cannot vote Tory.

Err... who benefits?

It just looks like yet another c*ck-up
    They will not vote on their holy day ie 14th October
    I know that. The govt should have known t as well. Everything is wargamed and displayed on the NASA go/no-go board in Downing St.

Or so we are led to believe.
  • Options
    Ed Vaizey sitting amongst the rebels.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Lol Labour MPs now backing the May deal. Too late you complete and utter ****s. Three fucking chances to push it through and now we're going to end up with a disaster no deal because you ****s couldn't stand up and be counted when it mattered.

I have even less respect for those MPs than for Grieve or Baker.

They are utter c*nts who don't even have the excuse of acting from conviction.

When I say this, in much milder terms, everyone argues they are behaving perfectly properly. Will be interesting to see if that’s the case here
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I rarely agree with her but she is right.
    Focus on the weightier matters G - not like the airhead Lucas.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I know he's listening to the speaker, but "the optics" are terrible, and will appear on opposition posters at the election

Draw me like one of your French girls.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:

I don't know if you have ever heard him on LBC* but he really is nothing more than a posh Farage.

* I'm not recommending listening, it's dire.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I cannot say how angry this makes me
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm no fan of Mogg, but I think criticising people for body language is itself pretty darn petty, I think there are much better angles of attack. Possibly she has seen twitter moaning at his slouching and wants to be down with the kids?
    He can sit up straight, straighten his tie (and sing the national anthem if he likes). Didn’t his nanny teach him that?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No. This will not stand. JRM might be a creepy Victorian undertaker, ready to embalm democracy, but in this instance he is damn well doing his job and trying to listen, as best he can, to a backbencher. As you admit.

It is shameful that an MP is blatantly twisting this into some libelous meme. Hope she gets the clap, like she did before.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You're probably right, but if that is what he is doing, and if he is those MPs moaning about him surely know it, then how utterly childish of them.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Adagio: Sehr feierlich und sehr langsam (C♯ minor)

And Boris Johnson heroically watched his majority fall apart.

Think I have made the right call listening to The Vienna Phil on Radio 3.

You could have been listening to Spreadsheet Phil on The Parliament Channel.
    Slumming it in Glasgow again this week :)

Stirling to Alloa done yesterday evening
    Craigendoran to Oban done today - in the pouring rain :)
    I am also in Scotland. Just sampled the Class 68s on the Fife commuter turns.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Cummings couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
    I read earlier that it lasted for the whole of that week, and that the same problem would apply every day.
    No, only the first day is a strict non-work observance.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes, a trifle unfair but Miliband’s Sarnie and all that.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    This country is in a right state. Jesus.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Time to clear this remoaner anti British shyte out of Parliament now. Let's have a GE!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

No. This will not stand. JRM might be a creepy Victorian undertaker, ready to embalm democracy, but in this instance he is damn well doing his job and trying to listen, as best he can, to a backbencher. As you admit.

It is shameful that an MP is blatantly twisting this into some libelous meme. Hope she gets the clap, like she did before.
    It is inexcusable behaviour
  • Options

Scott_P said:

HE’S VERY TALL AND HE’S LISTENING TO THE SPEAKER IN THE BENCH BEHIND HIM
  • Options

I know that. The govt should have known t as well. Everything is wargamed and displayed on the NASA go/no-go board in Downing St.

Or so we are led to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVnLnI277E
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

350m a week let’s spend it on the NHS
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They are not very good at this are they
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yes, a trifle unfair but Miliband’s Sarnie and all that.
    At least that was begun by media, not MPs who surely know better pretending they don't know there is a speaker there.

I'd think the contempt of his words is a stronger point.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    When you get reports like that it makes you wonder if a bunch of random thought generators like PB really are more clued up than these people. That's terrifying and I hope it is not true.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

It is inexcusable behaviour
    I give up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

kle4 said:

He can sit up straight, straighten his tie (and sing the national anthem if he likes). Didn’t his nanny teach him that?
    TBF, I’m pretty horizontal after listening to a couple of hours of this stuff.
    There are better reasons for finding him intolerable,
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    He can sit up properly and listen to the Speaker. Lying down with his eyes closed isn't necessary
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Moggster is saving a seat for the Chief Whip. He's like one of those twats on the train who says "someone is sitting there" when their mate hasn't even boarded the train yet.
  • Options
    They are master strategists.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Stop shouting.

I know what he is doing but he looks ridiculous and is a gift to his opponents
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    kle4 said:

He's supposed to be doing his job, and he's supposed to be doing his job at an important time. If this was a momentary thing, a signal, then I think it was a poor choice of action, but if this was other than momentary then I think its disrespectful to pretty much everyone.

He did not accidentally find himself so disposed.

(I quite like Rees-Mogg)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Charming.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Byronic said:

Arrogant, irresponsible, shortsighted europhile twats, like him, are one of the main reasons we are where we are. He will not be forgiven by history.

glug, glug, glug.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Stop shouting.

You’re a moron
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Genuine question, but aren't the speakers in the benches the round things on the seats? There isn't one where he's lying at the end of the row.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    That he's never seen someone lay down like that to listen to the speaker does not mean he is not doing so for that reason, or make the guffaws at this arrogant fop less silly when they can focus on what this government is doing and saying instead.
  • Options

Spineless doesn’t even begin to describe the Scottish Tories. They are pure jelly.
    I dare say there will be a bit of 'if only Saint Ruth's hand was on the tiller' revisionism, but I'm convinced they'd behave in exactly the same way if she was still in charge. We've got the evidence of the last two years to draw on after all.
    Ruth jumped before the inevitable crash. If she’d stayed in the driving seat she’d have gone down as the reckless driver. As it is, she is bashed, dismayed and bruised, but the Ruth myth lives on.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see her making a decent career of it post-independence.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Stop shouting.

You’re a moron
    Charming
  • Options
    Lol Caroline Lucas is awful. A screeching harridan who has no place in Parliament just like her party
  • Options

They are master strategists.

CUMMINGS HAS WARGAMED THIS !!!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No doubt it'll all be framed as part of the way to whip the public up for a people vs the parliament election (whenever they can get it over the line somehow), but I do wonder if Boris and co really considered how much Bercow can f*ck them if he really wants to.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I'm sure most of you know this but the reason some MPs look like they're slouching is practical. Acoustics in the Chamber are awful, but if you lie back with your ear to the loudspeakers positioned in the rear of the seats you can hear okay.

I also think that body posture is a pretty minor reason to criticise anyone, but Mogg's was pretty extreme. I've been mildly deaf for many years, but I could hear debate well just by leaning back on the bench towards the mike - you really don't need to go into full recline mode like Mogg.

More seriously, I think that Team Boris is being intellectually outgunned - the coalition stretching from Philip Hammond via Ken Clarke vis Hilary Benn via Tony Blair (whose elephant trap warning got serious attention) via Vince Cable via John McDonnell to Caroline Lucas knows procedure better, spots logical inconsistencies better and handles major debates better than Cummings and his insurgents.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:
    Looks like someone has definetely told him to tone down the "Fs"

A month ago that would have been:

"This is ******* well such a ******* powefully stupid ****** thing to ******* do!

:D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

We are watching the Corn Laws Redux. History is being written tonight as the Tory party splits before our eyes.

The Tory party has a 10% lead in tonight's poll, Corbyn Labour is polling worse than under Foot, the Boris Tories are fine thanks
    But according to Yougov , Labour is now polling higher than when May called the 2017 election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    That he's never seen someone lay down like that to listen to the speaker does not mean he is not doing so for that reason, and make the guffaws at this arrogant fop less silly when they can focus on what this government is doing and saying.
    Strikes me as odd that Mogg who is supposed to be famous for his manners and courtsey should slouch on the seats.

Perhaps the power is going to his head.

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261
    Ave_it said:

Lol Caroline Lucas is awful. A screeching harridan who has no place in Parliament just like her party

Sexist arse?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    This is the plague God has delivered on us for allowing people to eat pizzas with pineapples on them.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Thornberry on BBC apparently saying that Labour will never trust a Boris request for a GE. As he might shift the date.

How does that work? Labour will never go for an election, ever?

Unless the polls start showing something like Lab 45% and Con 30% I fear cowardly Labour are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a general election. :(
    Given this they are frit

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/1168950227426074627
    Seems that way but the lead was much bigger in 2017 and jezza was well up for it.

The change from 2017 to now is very odd. Maybe its because they can't play the "we'll respect the refernedum" card in their northern leave seats this time?
    It's only temporary. As soon as there is an extension signed, sealed and delivered, they will back a general election.

I'm not certain Johnson will still want one, but we'll see. It might be out of his hands.
    Not sure. @Byronic was reporting Thornberry as saying Labour would NEVER agree to a Johnson election?

And why does Labour care so much about an extension if they think they will win the election?

Everything they are sayling and doing today looks like they've pretty given up on any chance at the election and are desperate to avoid it.

It looks strange.
    Byronic was, I believe, mistaken. The Guardian report Thornberry thusly "She says the party wants to see the bill ruling out a no-deal Brexit on 31 October passed first."

Only a matter of sequencing.
    So if the tories got in with a huge majority on a platform of no deal their hands will still be tied?

(Unlikely I know)

A new government, elected with a majority on a manifesto commitment to take us out of the EU can do so at any time, and in any way that wins the support of a majority of MPs.

The point is to avoid no deal before Labour have a chance to takeover. If the voters choose Johnson and his no deal, so be it.
  • Options
    timmo said:
    Private Notice Question.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    What happens:
    - if Rebels/Opposition win tonight and pass No No-Deal bill tomorrow
    - Johnson also cannot get FTPA election through

Limbo ? Specially if they withdraw the whip of 15 MPs.
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    This is the plague God has delivered on us for allowing people to eat pizzas with pineapples on them.
    No - it is retribution for @Cyclefree's agenda to remove chocolate dusting from capuchinos
  • Options
    Kamski - who, Caroline Lucas?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

We are watching the Corn Laws Redux. History is being written tonight as the Tory party splits before our eyes.

The Tory party has a 10% lead in tonight's poll, Corbyn Labour is polling worse than under Foot, the Boris Tories are fine thanks
    But according to Yougov , Labour is now polling higher than when May called the 2017 election.
    And the Tories lower
  • Options
    Has Rees-Mogg tried wearing a hearing aid?
  • Options

What happens:
    - if Rebels/Opposition win tonight and pass No No-Deal bill tomorrow
    - Johnson also cannot get FTPA election through

Limbo ? Specially if they withdraw the whip of 15 MPs.

Johnson has to get a deal.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Ave_it said:

Sexist arse?
    Tame troll IMO. He only turns up for stuff like this.

Many on here like it.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Whats is PNQs?

Private Notice Questions apparently
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    That he's never seen someone lay down like that to listen to the speaker does not mean he is not doing so for that reason, and make the guffaws at this arrogant fop less silly when they can focus on what this government is doing and saying.
    Strikes me as odd that Mogg who is supposed to be famous for his manners and courtsey should slouch on the seats.

Perhaps the power is going to his head.

He seems quite prone to pettiness and petulance (for instance his complete invention of conventions for why May should resign even after winning a party VONC). Just a guess, but he might be the sort who is very charming and pleasant right up to the point he gets pissed off and then he throws a hissy fit like a child. His body language may well be terrible - but it is just so lame to moan about body language, that he is not listening respectfully enough. Would it be better if he sat there with a look of enraptured interest on his face and then stood up and said the same things he has said?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Ave_it said:

Johnson = Watford
  • Options
    Disgraceful contempt for Parliament from IDS. The convention for centuries - centuries - as stated by Dicey is "pick it, lick it, roll it, and flick it (ideally at a Lib Dem)". He should know this - it's basic.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Thornberry on BBC apparently saying that Labour will never trust a Boris request for a GE. As he might shift the date.

How does that work? Labour will never go for an election, ever?

Unless the polls start showing something like Lab 45% and Con 30% I fear cowardly Labour are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a general election. :(
    Given this they are frit

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/1168950227426074627
    Seems that way but the lead was much bigger in 2017 and jezza was well up for it.

The change from 2017 to now is very odd. Maybe its because they can't play the "we'll respect the refernedum" card in their northern leave seats this time?
    It's only temporary. As soon as there is an extension signed, sealed and delivered, they will back a general election.

I'm not certain Johnson will still want one, but we'll see. It might be out of his hands.
    Not sure. @Byronic was reporting Thornberry as saying Labour would NEVER agree to a Johnson election?

And why does Labour care so much about an extension if they think they will win the election?

Everything they are sayling and doing today looks like they've pretty given up on any chance at the election and are desperate to avoid it.

It looks strange.
    Byronic was, I believe, mistaken. The Guardian report Thornberry thusly "She says the party wants to see the bill ruling out a no-deal Brexit on 31 October passed first."

Only a matter of sequencing.
    So if the tories got in with a huge majority on a platform of no deal their hands will still be tied?

(Unlikely I know)

A new government, elected with a majority on a manifesto commitment to take us out of the EU can do so at any time, and in any way that wins the support of a majority of MPs.

The point is to avoid no deal before Labour have a chance to takeover. If the voters choose Johnson and his no deal, so be it.
    We can leave the EU at any time we want simply by repealing the European Communities Act of 1973.

It would be an ugly way to depart, but it is that Act that gives the EU legal power in the UK. Its repeal would mean that UK courts would no longer recognise the EU.
  • Options
    I doubt the people that matter are particularly regretful.

Parliament Vs The People will be set up perfectly in around 15 minutes.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    We elected them.

The "success" of reducing your majority by firing your MPs is brought to you by the same party that thinks you increase trade by tearing up your biggest trading treaty.

Morons are not in it... morons are much, much brighter than this shower.
  • Options

kamski said:

Ave_it said:

Sexist arse?

Many on here like it.
    Hahaha! I have been posting here since 2005!
  • Options

Has Rees-Mogg tried wearing a hearing aid?

Yes, he did try, but he was concerned it made him look silly.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Disgraceful contempt for Parliament from IDS. The convention for centuries - centuries - as stated by Dicey is "pick it, lick it, roll it, and flick it (ideally at a Lib Dem)". He should know this - it's basic.
    My copy of Erskine May bears this out. Used to be flick it at a Whig, but times have changed of course. Sir Reginald Bottomly-Heslethwaite, MP for Upper Bleedingthorpe, successfully argued it as a duty of the House in 1745.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

kamski said:

Ave_it said:

Sexist arse?

Many on here like it.
    Yes, I know you have. I have been here almost as long.
  • Options
    Ok so you are calling Kamski a troll?

Ave_it said:

kamski said:

Ave_it said:

Sexist arse?

Many on here like it.
    Yes, I know you have. I have been here almost as long.
    Ok so you are calling Kamski a troll? 😊
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

kamski said:

Ave_it said:

Sexist arse?

Many on here like it.
    Ave It!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Boris GAIN Bootle at the next election? :D
This discussion has been closed.