Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How special is special? The US-UK relationship

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I heard Jo Swinson on Sky News this morning. I reckon she’s trying to hide her Scottish accent.

You would be hard pushed to know she was born in Scotland, desperate to show how English she really is just like the anti Scottish English immigrants on here, Carlotta, TGOHF.
    Uni in London, then worked in Yorkshire, plus her husband is English. Does things to accents, even the strongest.
    Only if you want it to, I spent many years in England and other countries around the world and have not changed my accent one bit.
    Why are we not surprised ? :smile:

Would you refuse to speak French if in France ?
    The principle is exactly the same.
    I would try to speak French but it would not be with a French accent unless a miracle happened.
    Changing your accent is for losers, insecure people who have to meld into the surroundings and crawlers who will do anything to try and be something...
    I have to disagree with you there, malcolm.

While I don't think there's any obligation to modify your accent for a given audience, some might consider it simple politeness, and a determination not to do so, bloodyminded.

Code switching is completely natural for some, and impossible for others, and I don't think it reflects any particular moral value either way.
    Nigel, perfectly acceptable for us to agree to disagree and meet in the middle
    Sounds good to me, malcolm.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    edited August 2019

On topic, let's get real. The people who want to question the special relationship have been supercharged because of who the US elected as their President. You feel really queasy that Trump is the person we have to be bessy mates with. When Obama was in office - not so much.

If it were Hilary, you'd be fawning over the first Madam President....

This is partly true, but rightly so. Trump is unashamedly and openly transactional in his foreign affairs, he does not believe in alliances but using US power for negotiating (threatening, bullying) with the rest of the world, including friends. The rational response of the UK should be to either wait him out, or build up (not dismantle!) alternative alliances with other friendly countries to be able to withstand the pressure.

Obama had a very different policy wanting to build up alliances particularly in Asia to counterbalance China. The rational response of the UK would be to remind Obama of the benefits from the existing alliance with UK and Europe.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    Pulpstar said:

Labour overall majority is currently at 18 on Betfair. It may be odds against but it's not a 17/1 shot and I've just taken some of that.

A Brexit party revival after Boris doesn't leave on October 31st and Corbyn's your uncle.
    I cannot see it myself, too many gains needed in England to offset the losses in Scotland, and too big of gap to bridge.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

Charles said:

Next Scottish FIrst Minister
    - to succeed Nicola Sturgeon, either as FM, or Head of Government in independent state

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1
    Shirley-Anne Somerville 20/1
    many other names listed, both SNP and others, at longer prices

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

Some of the names on here are just daft at such short prices, not least prime turkey Ruthie.

This is going to be between Mackay and A.N.Other. Who Mr or Mrs Other might be is a bit of a mystery. Leonard is not even going to be SLab leader at the next Scottish GE, and I’d be surprised if Ruthie is still around either. The most tempting Unionist prices are:

Anas Sarwar (SLab) at 100/1
    Neil Findlay (SLab) at 100/1
    Willie Rennie (SLD) at 100/1

All of those have got to be worth a speculative price of a pint, surely?

I’d stick a tenner on Mackay if I thought Sturgeon was on the brink of retirement. However, she isn’t.

Why are Ruth’s odds any different to the Tories getting a majority at Holyrood (saving weight of money / risk management etc)?
    No Alex Salmond odds?

:wink:
    Would be great to have him back
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Its the same approach with the EU, nobody fights the UK corner and we instead of kidding ourselves about a "special relationship" we kid ourselves about "influence". We just need some mean nasty bastards who put our own voters first and who frankly will earn more respect for the UK.

Yes, but one doesn't have to be nasty, just clear and firm. What's really exasperated the EU over the last 3 years is not that we're nice or nasty, but that we really can't decide what we want. One can be nice as pie and yet utterly infuriating.

"What would you like to drink, sir?"
    "I'm so glad you asked. Either tea or coffee, or perhaps just water."
    "Certainly sir. Which would you prefer?"
    "I'm not sure, so sorry to be a nuisance. Tea, perhaps."
    "Tea, coming up."
    "No, wait, maybe coffee."

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

There's a US special relationship for Brexit, which is the main point of interest right now. Brexit at its core is an ideological project to move the UK away from European social democracy and international multilateralism into an irredentist US-led Conservative sphere. There is a lot of US money going into this project, which is also backed by those close to Trump. The US FTA is important to this project for its symbolism and because the incompatibility of US rules with EU ones makes it harder for a future government to switch back to an EU sphere.

It isn't a vision that much shared outside Johnson's coterie. Voters like their social protections, lifestyles and jobs too much.

It's the americans now ?

I thought it was the Russians driving Brexit.
    The people driving Brexit are those around Johnson and Farage who have strong links with the people around Trump. If money talks, it's in significant part US money talking.
    Im losing track of which conspiracy theory is now current. Give it a month and the green lizards will be taking over.

It's easy to be flippant I doubt anyone believes that there is any sinister hand pulling the strings on Brexit. Nobody really believes that Putin or Trump are "driving" Brexit. It's a straw man argument.

It would be equally naive not to recognise that both Putin and Trump are both actively backing Brexit for their own political purposes. There is nothing that says that Trump and Putin can't both want the same outcome for Brexit albeit for different reasons.
    I can quite happily recognise that Trump and Putin have their own interests in Brexit, But so do Merkel and Macron and Tusk. At the end of the day I dont care which country thinks what, this is an issue for us to sort out ourselves.
    Is anyone alleging that Merkel or Macron got involved in Brexit in the way Russia did?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I heard Jo Swinson on Sky News this morning. I reckon she’s trying to hide her Scottish accent.

You would be hard pushed to know she was born in Scotland, desperate to show how English she really is just like the anti Scottish English immigrants on here, Carlotta, TGOHF.
    Uni in London, then worked in Yorkshire, plus her husband is English. Does things to accents, even the strongest.
    There is a term used by linguists for this phenomenon, where adults are easily swayed by accents and linguistic patterns they are exposed to (children all do this, but quite rare among adults). Nearly all of the sufferers are women apparently.

Certainly in my experience, I know several women with extremely strange/contorted accents. I was a university with a woman who usually spoke broad Glaswegian, but in certain situations (eg. when talking to her dad) switched to broad Lancashire. It was weird, and impressive, to see.

I’m sure Swinson is aware of her weird accent, but I’m afraid she is probably totally incapable of doing anything about it. The unfortunate thing is that many listeners will suspect she is trying to pretend to be someone she isn’t.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

DavidL said:

- to succeed Nicola Sturgeon, either as FM, or Head of Government in independent state

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

Some of the names on here are just daft at such short prices, not least prime turkey Ruthie.

This is going to be between Mackay and A.N.Other. Who Mr or Mrs Other might be is a bit of a mystery. Leonard is not even going to be SLab leader at the next Scottish GE, and I’d be surprised if Ruthie is still around either. The most tempting Unionist prices are:

I’d stick a tenner on Mackay if I thought Sturgeon was on the brink of retirement. However, she isn’t.

So Derek Mackay is now heir apparent? No chance of Angus Robertson coming back into front line politics?
    1. Yes
    2. Probably (campaign chief Yes2?)

Unlike Con and Lab heirs apparent, SNP ones usually manage it.
    It was only muppets on here who couldn't see Boris was May's nailed-on heir apparent.....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

There's a US special relationship for Brexit, which is the main point of interest right now. Brexit at its core is an ideological project to move the UK away from European social democracy and international multilateralism into an irredentist US-led Conservative sphere. There is a lot of US money going into this project, which is also backed by those close to Trump. The US FTA is important to this project for its symbolism and because the incompatibility of US rules with EU ones makes it harder for a future government to switch back to an EU sphere.

It isn't a vision that much shared outside Johnson's coterie. Voters like their social protections, lifestyles and jobs too much.

It's the americans now ?

The people driving Brexit are those around Johnson and Farage who have strong links with the people around Trump. If money talks, it's in significant part US money talking.
    Im losing track of which conspiracy theory is now current. Give it a month and the green lizards will be taking over.

It's easy to be flippant I doubt anyone believes that there is any sinister hand pulling the strings on Brexit. Nobody really believes that Putin or Trump are "driving" Brexit. It's a straw man argument.

It would be equally naive not to recognise that both Putin and Trump are both actively backing Brexit for their own political purposes. There is nothing that says that Trump and Putin can't both want the same outcome for Brexit albeit for different reasons.
    I can quite happily recognise that Trump and Putin have their own interests in Brexit, But so do Merkel and Macron and Tusk. At the end of the day I dont care which country thinks what, this is an issue for us to sort out ourselves.
    Is anyone alleging that Merkel or Macron got involved in Brexit in the way Russia did?
    I must have missed the bit where Merkel launched a bot farm in Heidelberg dedicated to pro-Remain memes.

Alanbrooke’s problem - and why he should be ignored by any sober poster - is that he genuinely sees no difference between Merkel/Macron and Putin.

His world is a dark place.
  • Options

The government and HS2 knew that the new high speed railway was over budget and was probably behind schedule years ago, documents seen by the BBC show.

Crucially, the documents were written in 2016, before MPs had signed-off the first phase of the project.

It is evidence that both the public and Parliament were not given the full picture about the true cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49450297

I think we should get on with HS2 (and Heathrowe and more) we need infrastructure. But this is not acceptable. Parliament shouldn't have been misled.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

We English voted for sovereignty. Unionist Brexiteers like you were turkeys voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,156
    Nigelb said:

Is this the kind of trade deal we are likely to see proposed by Trump ?

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201908260020.html
    Lighthizer said the deal, which covered agriculture, industrial tariffs and digital trade, would open up Japanese markets to U.S. goods and lead to a substantial reduction in tariffs on such items as beef.

Japan imports about $14 billion worth of U.S. agricultural products, and the agreement will open up markets to over $7 billion of such products, Lighthizer said, adding that beef, pork, wheat, dairy products, wine, and ethanol would benefit.

Trump said Japan has agreed to buy excess U.S. corn that is burdening farmers as a result of the tariff dispute between Washington and Beijing.

There was little information on what Japan gained from the deal...

The one take away from Trump's career of welching, bilking and grifting is that his definition of a great deal is one where the other guy feels he didn't get a great deal (at the time or later). It doesn't bode well for our pork pie and and shower tray manufacturers trying to break America.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

I thought Findlay had announced he is leaving politics, and both Sarwar and Rennie are so bad it should be at least 10000-1. Surprised Mike Russel is not there but if Sturgeon does not have Indyref2 this parliament then I suspect either Mackay or Robertson would be my choices. Robertson or Russel would be best but Mackay is beginning to sound pretty good and may indeed be the future.
    Thanks Malcolm, I had missed the Findlay retirement announcement:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/labour-euro-campaigns-chief-neil-findlay-to-quit-holyrood-amid-internal-battles-1-4936243/amp

Yes, Sarwar and Rennie are both dire, but if they manage to cobble together a Con-Lab-LD-Grn coalition, who else could be FM? A Tory is out of the question. Labour have nobody capable of stringing a sentence together, which leaves Angry Wullie. Unlikely I know, but Unionist beggars can’t be choosers.

Mike Russell is priced at 33/1.

If it’s not Mackay then it is probably somebody not even listed on Shadsy’s long list.
    Given it cannot be Salmond I would want it to be Robertson.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

Another anti Britain thread by a remainer. Yawn.

All Ms Cyclefree is pointing out is that nations don't have friends, they have interests.
    “But isn’t it about time that we stopped deluding ourselves about our importance?”

Aren’t we awful - let’s hate ourselves into a United States of Europe... Boring.
    We are more likely to succeed at whatever we do if we are realistic about ourselves.

We have not been realistic - and it has led us to delusions about the EU and our place in it and is now leading us to delusions about our place outside it.

Those who don’t want us to be a vassal of the EU seem quite unbothered about the prospect of us being a vassal of the US.
    Yes, that about sums up the situation. It would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987

Nigelb said:

Lighthizer said the deal, which covered agriculture, industrial tariffs and digital trade, would open up Japanese markets to U.S. goods and lead to a substantial reduction in tariffs on such items as beef.

Japan imports about $14 billion worth of U.S. agricultural products, and the agreement will open up markets to over $7 billion of such products, Lighthizer said, adding that beef, pork, wheat, dairy products, wine, and ethanol would benefit.

Trump said Japan has agreed to buy excess U.S. corn that is burdening farmers as a result of the tariff dispute between Washington and Beijing.

The one take away from Trump's career of welching, bilking and grifting is that his definition of a great deal is one where the other guy feels he didn't get a great deal (at the time or later). It doesn't bode well for our pork pie and and shower tray manufacturers trying to break America.
    Yep - The one thing that is very obvious about Trump is that he doesn't understand how win, win works...
  • Options
    Typical of Corbyn to talk about a bankers Brexit when what he actually means is a hedge funds Brexit. I guess it's too much to epxect the man who wants to be our PM to understand the difference.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

DavidL said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

So Derek Mackay is now heir apparent? No chance of Angus Robertson coming back into front line politics?
    1. Yes
    2. Probably (campaign chief Yes2?)

Unlike Con and Lab heirs apparent, SNP ones usually manage it.
    It was only muppets on here who couldn't see Boris was May's nailed-on heir apparent.....
    Another of May's failings; she didn't have any associates who might have been able to pick up baton. Not that it worked that well with Blair and Brown!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233

There is no sense in Brexit other than respecting the referendum result

I wish we were not in this position and were it easy I would accept revoke

But we are where we are and we do need to leave

no-deal does not "respect" anything. I am not sure that a small majority on a referendum based on immoral emotionally bankrupt arguments, which was influenced by a hostile foreign power and led and manipulated by liars and racists should be respected anyone than if 52% voted in favour of eating their first born.

Among many other points, the following come to mind:

1) The claims of the Leave campaign, from Turkish accession to "easiest deal ever" were mostly totally untrue.
    2) Specifically the idea that we would leave the SM or the CU was denied by Leave, many of whose members dismissed the idea on the grounds of the drastic economic impact.
    3) The Leave side has been convicted of misuse of funds
    4) There is a further ongoing investigation into the permissibility of donations of millions of Pounds made to the Leave side
    5) There is considerable suspicion that impermissible donations came from Russian (and American) sources.
    6) The Brexit process has smashed our international reputation
    7) The Brexit process has already seen the GBP fall nearly 20%
    8) Forecasts for a post Brexit economy vary from the scary to the catastrophic.

So we are where we are: a high court ruling has been made that were the referendum binding, it should be set aside by the courts, but because it is only advisory, the House of Commons is the only place that this disaster can be stopped.

In five years time we could be begging to become a wholly owned of Trumpistan, or trying to resume our equal partnership with the EU under significantly different terms. neither is exactly "Take back control!"

In fact the best way to do that is to understand why Farage and Assange have been so close, bearing in mind that Assange has been named by the Ecuadorian government as a Russian agent.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You'd have to be pretty thick not to understand that when we spoke to the US it was helpful to have the close ear of and some influence over the EU and when we spoke to the EU it was helpful to have the close ear of and perhaps some influence over the US.

Now sadly about to be no more.

nostalgia - that rather went out the door with Iraq and then Obama.
    Well for better or for worse Dave did get Obama to give him a hand with EUref.
    I think that was what decided me to definitively vote Leave.

I'm sure you weren't alone. The EU ref was an occasion for people to ignore rational thinking and vote based upon gut instincts and whim. A playground vote.
    How is that different from a normal vote?
    Normal vote: assess issues from competing candidates, choose candidate whose policies most closely aligns with your own views.
    Playground vote: don't like the colour of the shirt of one candidate, vote for other candidate.
    Is the "I don't like Labour but my great grandfather would would rise from his grave if I thought about my vote and changed" a Normal or a Playground vote? I suspect that many votes are what you would call "Playground".

• Options
    edited August 2019
    tpfkar said:

Norman Lamb to stand down for the Lib Dems. I get the impression that he's got fed up with Brexit dominating everything and his passions of mental health and social care not getting a look in.

I'm sure the Cons will pile into North Norfolk but It seems to me the Lib Dems are properly bedded in there and I'd expect the right LD candidate to hold comfortably.

Ouch! Unnecessary drain on LD resources. Last thing they need is experienced, coherent MPs getting disillusioned right now.

If the LDs are to gain a significant number of Con Seats, they cannot be fighting fires in their own backyard. (cf East Dunbartonshire)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    A terrific header, this, from Ms C. It's what I go to school for.

My own feelings about the Anglo American relationship are at present so cluttered by their choice of President that I find it difficult to comment sensibly on the matter.

Let's just say I'm not keen on any relationship at all until he's gone. At least not in public.
  • Options
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You'd have to be pretty thick not to understand that when we spoke to the US it was helpful to have the close ear of and some influence over the EU and when we spoke to the EU it was helpful to have the close ear of and perhaps some influence over the US.

I'm sure you weren't alone. The EU ref was an occasion for people to ignore rational thinking and vote based upon gut instincts and whim. A playground vote.
    Normal vote: assess issues from competing candidates, choose candidate whose policies most closely aligns with your own views.
    Playground vote: don't like the colour of the shirt of one candidate, vote for other candidate.
    Is the "I don't like Labour but my great grandfather would would rise from his grave if I thought about my vote and changed" a Normal or a Playground vote? I suspect that many votes are what you would call "Playground".
    Perhaps the wisdom of crowds should be called the noise-cancelling of the kindergarten.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Charles said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

Why are Ruth’s odds any different to the Tories getting a majority at Holyrood (saving weight of money / risk management etc)?
    AFAIAA there is no Maj/Min/Coalition/C&S market up yet for the next Holyrood GE.

There is a Most Seats market:

SNP 1/5
    Con 7/1
    Lab 8/1
    LD 50/1
    Grn 200/1

There is a significant risk that Ruth will either:

- get disillusioned and retire
    - get the sack

Then add in that SLab and SLD wouldn’t touch her party with a shitty stick.
    ... so you’d have to be nuts to stake anything on her at such a silly short price as 5/1. Shadsy is taking the piss.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

There is a term used by linguists for this phenomenon, where adults are easily swayed by accents and linguistic patterns they are exposed to (children all do this, but quite rare among adults). Nearly all of the sufferers are women apparently.

Certainly in my experience, I know several women with extremely strange/contorted accents. I was a university with a woman who usually spoke broad Glaswegian, but in certain situations (eg. when talking to her dad) switched to broad Lancashire. It was weird, and impressive, to see.

I’m sure Swinson is aware of her weird accent, but I’m afraid she is probably totally incapable of doing anything about it. The unfortunate thing is that many listeners will suspect she is trying to pretend to be someone she isn’t.
    I believe the term is code switching (though this also refers to the ability to switch across languages in the course of conversation).
    Is it "rare" ?
    Not really in my experience.

And one might regard it as an ability, rather than something one "suffers" from.
    Similarly, "strange/contorted" is a value judgment which perhaps says as much about you as those you refer to.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

There is certainly something very strange going on there. Luckily for the Dim Libs, BoZo and the Cold Warrior are even weirder.
    A side effect of Thatcher style voice coaching, perhaps ?
    Thatcher style voice coaching would actually be a big improvement on what Swinson’s voice is doing right now. It’s all over the place.
  • Options
    Off topic -

Just bought a coffee with a ton of change and when I slapped down the coins - there were 11 of them - on the counter every single one fell tails up. All 11.

Utterly spooked - and not in a pleasant way.

If it were heads, that's one thing, that could be reassuring, but all tails cannot be good.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,326
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is an unthinking conditioned vote.
  • Options
    The
    eek said:

Labour overall majority is currently at 18 on Betfair. It may be odds against but it's not a 17/1 shot and I've just taken some of that.

I don't think it's possible for Labour to win a majority now they've lost Scotland.

The SNP surge is one reason why we are in the mess we are in.
    Che peccato!

Here’s a novel suggestion: why don’t English MPs run England, and Scottish MPs run Scotland? Then we can stop blaming each other.
  • Options

Me too. Touched 20 the other day. Silly price.

You get the long dated election with no Corbyn dog running for you.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Interesting

Follow the links for more detail

https://order-order.com/2019/08/27/chances-new-deal-increase-post-g7/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

AFAIAA there is no Maj/Min/Coalition/C&S market up yet for the next Holyrood GE.

SNP 1/5
    Con 7/1
    Lab 8/1
    LD 50/1
    Grn 200/1

- get the sack

... so you’d have to be nuts to stake anything on her at such a silly short price as 5/1. Shadsy is taking the piss.
    So at a minimum it would be 7/1 (discounting the chance that she gets thrown overboard) as I can't see her being the FM in a parliament where someone else has most seats (presumably that outcome would be an SNP led coalition).

I assume it is Shadsy's Christmas Fund
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    kinabalu said:

Ah, at last, PB returns to being 'political betting'. Thanks for spotting that one.

I'd concluded that PB meant 'perpetual Brexshit'.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

Merkel kept out of it. Hollande got straight in

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/francois-hollande-warns-of-consequences-if-britain-leaves-the-eu-a6910096.html

good cop bad cop
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I believe the term is code switching (though this also refers to the ability to switch across languages in the course of conversation).
    Is it "rare" ?

And one might regard it as an ability, rather than something one "suffers" from.
    Similarly, "strange/contorted" is a value judgment which perhaps says as much about you as those you refer to.
    I am myself a “code switcher”. I am bilingual English/Swedish and I am very sorry to report that my speech often degenerates to a horrid mix we refer to as svengelska. Our whole family does it, as do the families of other English-speakers married to Swedes. In fact, sometimes it feels like the whole bloody country is doing it, such are the massive inroads English is making into the Swedish language with every passing week.

It is most definitely an affliction from which I suffer. I would far prefer to keep the languages apart, but it is bloody difficult when you are switching between the two at least 50 times a day.

Then add in my fondness for Scots words and expressions.

But what doesn’t change is my actual accent. I recently met up with an old friend from Edinburgh I haven’t seen in two decades. I was absolutely delighted when she said my accent hadn’t changed a bit from when I was a bairn. I consider that a compliment, because the pressure on Scots to “flatten” their accents furth of the country can be intense.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Dickson, that's a common thing. Germans sometimes speak Denglisch, and the Chinese Chinglish (although it's worth noting lots of people in both speak very good English indeed).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Well I'm definitely a normal then. I really put the time in. Before voting Labour I always read the manifestos of each party - read them properly I mean - and I check out the bio of all the candidates.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

SNP 1/5
    Con 7/1
    Lab 8/1
    LD 50/1
    Grn 200/1

- get the sack

So at a minimum it would be 7/1 (discounting the chance that she gets thrown overboard) as I can't see her being the FM in a parliament where someone else has most seats (presumably that outcome would be an SNP led coalition).

Shadsy is so good at pricing up that I consider nearly all his markets to be his Christmas Fund. Luckily, Scotland is not his forté.

Eg:

Next UK GE - Aberdeen South (Con Maj 4,752; Ross Thomson MP)

SNP 5/6
    Con 5/6
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

Tee hee.
  • Options

Typical of Corbyn to talk about a bankers Brexit when what he actually means is a hedge funds Brexit. I guess it's too much to epxect the man who wants to be our PM to understand the difference.

They are all evil in his book. Credit Unions are the only allowed providers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2019
    The BBC is planning to launch a digital voice assistant next year, the corporation has announced. It will not be a hardware device in its own right but is being designed to work on all smart speakers, TVs and mobiles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49481210

Why...there are already umpteen solutions to this problem (none of which are all that great, and there isn't a cat in hells chance that the BBC will do better).

They would be better spending their IT resources on making sure iPlayer doesn't suck. Cos it still does.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ah, at last, PB returns to being 'political betting'. Thanks for spotting that one.

That's just British politics.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

The BBC is planning to launch a digital voice assistant next year, the corporation has announced. It will not be a hardware device in its own right but is being designed to work on all smart speakers, TVs and mobiles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49481210

Why...

Actually tuning your tv in is the best use of voice activation I know especially in a world of multiple remotes etc it would be a godsend for older people who get confused and end up only watching one channel.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Is it "rare" ?

I am myself a “code switcher”. I am bilingual English/Swedish and I am very sorry to report that my speech often degenerates to a horrid mix we refer to as svengelska. Our whole family does it, as do the families of other English-speakers married to Swedes. In fact, sometimes it feels like the whole bloody country is doing it, such are the massive inroads English is making into the Swedish language with every passing week.

It is most definitely an affliction from which I suffer. I would far prefer to keep the languages apart, but it is bloody difficult when you are switching between the two at least 50 times a day.

But what doesn’t change is my actual accent. I recently met up with an old friend from Edinburgh I haven’t seen in two decades. I was absolutely delighted when she said my accent hadn’t changed a bit from when I was a bairn. I consider that a compliment, because the pressure on Scots to “flatten” their accents furth of the country can be intense.
    Each to their own, I guess - and I sympathise with the desire not to be pressured into conforming.
    Language is so complicated, strange and wonderful a thing, I just try to enjoy it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

And Brexshit hasn’t even happened yet.

The whole of the rest of your life is going to be dominated by Brexshit. Shit is the new black.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    eek said:

I don't think it's possible for Labour to win a majority now they've lost Scotland.

Blair won majorities in England from 1997 to 2005 but the LDs are now closer to New Labour than Corbyn Labour is so agreed
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    kinabalu said:

Off topic -

Just bought a coffee with a ton of change and when I slapped down the coins - there were 11 of them - on the counter every single one fell tails up. All 11.

Utterly spooked - and not in a pleasant way.

If it were heads, that's one thing, that could be reassuring, but all tails cannot be good.

Yep. Always call heads. Tails is weird.
  • Options
    Former diplomat for Belize.

https://twitter.com/andywigmore/status/1165613474246004736?s=20

Utterly disgusting and shameful.*

*that he thinks 'an' should be used before a consonant sound.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

An effing. Seems right to me.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    tlg86 said:

tpfkar said:

Norman Lamb to stand down for the Lib Dems. I get the impression that he's got fed up with Brexit dominating everything and his passions of mental health and social care not getting a look in.

I'm sure the Cons will pile into North Norfolk but It seems to me the Lib Dems are properly bedded in there and I'd expect the right LD candidate to hold comfortably.

That's a shame. When you say "the right LD candidate", do you mean one that isn't necessarily opposed to Brexit?
    Let's just say that if Chuka is parachuted in shouting "Bollocks to Brexit" from an open-top bus on the coast road, I think the LDs would be in trouble.

On the other hand, if there's a pool of 30 potential candidates here: http://www2.north-norfolk.gov.uk/election/web/ then surely there is a plausible successor among them? I wouldn't rule out Sarah Butikofer for example.

• Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

I must have missed the bit where Merkel launched a bot farm in Heidelberg dedicated to pro-Remain memes.

Alanbrooke’s problem - and why he should be ignored by any sober poster - is that he genuinely sees no difference between Merkel/Macron and Putin.

There are rational Brexiteers and there are irrational EUSSR type Brexiteers
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Yep - The one thing that is very obvious about Trump is that he doesn't understand how win, win works...
    Yes, he is an old fashioned win-lose operator. It suits his egotistical bullying mindset, so common among would-be autocrats.
  • Options
    RobD said:

An interesting piece, thanks.

I’m surprised the UK and France retain their seats on the security council. Suspect it won’t be there for long, and France’s will eventually be forfeit to the EU, if the council still exists.

Once you are a permanent UN Security Council member you cannot be removed unless voluntarily.

India, Japan, Brazil and the EU may be added in time as permanent members too (though Pakistan and Mexico might have something to say about an Indian and Brazilian permanent seat) but we will keep ours regardless.

• Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/francois-hollande-warns-of-consequences-if-britain-leaves-the-eu-a6910096.html

good cop bad cop

And that compares with Putin's bot factories how exactly?
  • Options
    In defence of tails: tails is where the 50p, £1 (although not yet with Carney's rubbish new one), and £2 coins have their interesting variants.

Also tails can be heads too. I have a couple of Churchill crowns, for example.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

My own feelings about the Anglo American relationship are at present so cluttered by their choice of President that I find it difficult to comment sensibly on the matter.

Let's just say I'm not keen on any relationship at all until he's gone. At least not in public.

I suspect though you would have been very keen on the special relationship when Obama was US President rather than Trump but rather less keen on the Entente Cordiale when Sarkozy was French President rather than Macron, which just goes to show it is who is in power that is just as important to any relationship abroad as the relationship with the country itself
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If he's going to go down the mimsy avoidance of the actual word road, perhaps he should have used 'effing'. F-ing suggests fucking without the 'uck'.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

good cop bad cop

And that compares with Putin's bot factories how exactly?
    two politicans interfering in another countrys election, neither effectively
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Mr Dickson, another hundred years and regional English, Scottish and Welsh accents will no longer exist. There will be an international English that will be a mixture of how the nations of the world influence it. You only have to look at how the "London" accent has changed in my lifetime. People under 25 speak very differently to those over 60, innit! Accents are simply a hindrance to understanding, and therefore will evolve to a common denominator. It will be a further setback for all forms of small minded nationalism. It is therefore a positive development.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, swearing placeholders have changed over the years. It still seems weird to read (maybe in The Dark Is Rising? and certainly in a WWI book I read) 'blankety-blank'.

I tend to swear lightly in my writing and generally just use terms like "He cursed vehemently".
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Its called "Code Shifting" and its something we ALL do - usually unconsciously - I doubt you'd speak to your bank manager in the same way you'd speak to your mates down the pub - or vice versa.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tlg86 said:

tpfkar said:

That's a shame. When you say "the right LD candidate", do you mean one that isn't necessarily opposed to Brexit?
    Let's just say that if Chuka is parachuted in shouting "Bollocks to Brexit" from an open-top bus on the coast road, I think the LDs would be in trouble.

On the other hand, if there's a pool of 30 potential candidates here: http://www2.north-norfolk.gov.uk/election/web/ then surely there is a plausible successor among them? I wouldn't rule out Sarah Butikofer for example.

I would not be surprised to see the Tories take North Norfolk from the LDs given the loss of Lamb's big personal vote in a strong pro Brexit area, while Chuka holds Streatham as a LD in heavily Remain Lambeth
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

I suspect though you would have been very keen on the special relationship when Obama was US President rather than Trump but rather less keen on the Entente Cordiale when Sarkozy was French President rather than Macron, which just goes to show it is who is in power that is just as important to any relationship abroad as the relationship with the country itself
    There are plenty of folk who don't like the special relationship (such as it is), regardless of who's in charge, as a matter of principle.

Obama, Sarkozy and and Macron all have their flaws, but none of them is the excrement-in-human-form moral vacuum that is Trump. That's the difference.
  • Options
    Looks like we can still be a bridge between Europe and the USA then
  • Options
    Mr. Vance, unexpected registers can be quite good for comedy, though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

There are plenty of folk who don't like the special relationship (such as it is), regardless of who's in charge, as a matter of principle.

Obama, Sarkozy and and Macron all have their flaws, but none of them is the excrement-in-human-form moral vacuum that is Trump. That's the difference.
    So really all you are saying is you don't want a Special Relationship with the US Republican party rather than the US itself (and of course the Democrats now control the House of Representatives again anyway)
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, swearing placeholders have changed over the years. It still seems weird to read (maybe in The Dark Is Rising? and certainly in a WWI book I read) 'blankety-blank'.

I tend to swear lightly in my writing and generally just use terms like "He cursed vehemently".

In Norman Mailer's first novel, The Naked and the Dead (still worth reading I think), the publisher forced Mailer to replace 'fuck' with 'fug', which given it centred on a US combat unit in the Pacific theatre, meant a lot of fugging. It was the worst of all worlds, inauthentic & prim yet leaving not the slightest doubt as to the word it was pretending not to be.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Its called "Code Shifting" and its something we ALL do - usually unconsciously - I doubt you'd speak to your bank manager in the same way you'd speak to your mates down the pub - or vice versa.
    I don't think I've ever spoken to a "bank manager" actually - do they even still exist ?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Furthermore, people who are unable to do this in general strugle with life. If you can't change your manner when working with clients/customers or dealing with officialdom, then the odds shift against you.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think I've ever spoken to a "bank manager" actually - do they even still exist ?
    Sort of, but it's basically a sales role. I view them on the same level of used car salesmen
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    HYUFD said:

Not really.

A bridge would position itself to have influence diplomatically, economically, and militarily in the US and in Europe.

Boris laughing at Trump’s jokes is not the same thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

Not really.

A bridge would position itself to have influence diplomatically, economically, and militarily in the US and in Europe.

Boris laughing at Trump’s jokes is not the same thing.
    On the basis of that article Trump listens to Boris on climate change, Iran, trade etc more than he does EU leaders
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If he's going to go down the mimsy avoidance of the actual word road, perhaps he should have used 'effing'. F-ing suggests fucking without the 'uck'.
    "Could I have an F please, Rachel"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Blair won majorities in England from 1997 to 2005 but the LDs are now closer to New Labour than Corbyn Labour is so agreed
    The LDs between 2007 and April 2010 were as close to Bair's New Labour as Brown's government was. All that changed with Cameron's speech on Friday 7th May.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

In defence of tails: tails is where the 50p, £1 (although not yet with Carney's rubbish new one), and £2 coins have their interesting variants.

Also tails can be heads too. I have a couple of Churchill crowns, for example.

Coins are produced by the Mint not the BoE so don't blame Carney if you don't like the new pound coin.
  • Options
    Mr. Boy, well, boo and hiss nevertheless.

Mr. Divvie, in Farscape (not aimed solely at adults) they came up with sci-fi swearwords like frell. Bizarrely, when it was shown on Pick a year or two ago, they actually cut it to avoid the not-swearwords.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Ol' Brydon hoping that the voters will fall for the nominative determinism thing.

https://twitter.com/LloydAMelville/status/1166280525142736896?s=20

The Ruth Davidson Party is now also the Leave The EU Party it would appear.
  • Options

Mr. Dickson, that's a common thing. Germans sometimes speak Denglisch, and the Chinese Chinglish (although it's worth noting lots of people in both speak very good English indeed).

English also has it's form of Denglish. But English-Denglish is not German-Denglish. The English usage of words like Angst and Wanderlust are often subtly different from their german meaning. There was even a German article complaining that Franz Ferdinand (the band) had misused the word Angst, when it fitted perfectly well with the English usage.

I know that in the 80's the NME had a column called "Angst", which was the first time I saw this word. Does anyone know if that was the source for using this word, or does it go back further?
  • Options
    Interesting article on the gold standard pollster in Iowa:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/458864-2020-caucuses-pose-biggest-challenge-yet-for-iowas-top-pollster
    In an interview in her office, set in a small house in a commercial district of West Des Moines, Selzer said her methodology is different: She asks voters whether they will show up, and trusts their responses.

“My method shows me who’s going to do what in a future event. What [other pollsters] do is say, ‘Well, who did it in the past?’ That’s fine, unless there’s change. And change is accelerating,” Selzer said.

“I have to think [other pollsters are] looking back. As I say, I like to poll forward,” she added. “My way is keeping my dirty fingers off the data.”...

She shares my dislike of the rearview mirror as a navigational tool.
  • Options

Mr. Boy, well, boo and hiss nevertheless.

Mr. Divvie, in Farscape (not aimed solely at adults) they came up with sci-fi swearwords like frell. Bizarrely, when it was shown on Pick a year or two ago, they actually cut it to avoid the not-swearwords.

Quite liked Farscape when it first came out, afaicr it was on the 6-7pm slot so it was quite a good, mindless way to wind down after work.
    Plus the female lead was hot in a fierce kinda way.
  • Options
    Farage upping the ante with BoJo now on Sky
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited August 2019
    Alastair Campbell cheered Germany beating England at Euro 96

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Morning all :)

Plenty of lazy analysis from the usual suspects about LD prospects. There is no such thing as a safe LD seat and you'd better believe every LD activist knows that. I worked in Tom Brake's seat and we fought it hard at elections and between elections and once the new LD candidate is chosen that person's name will be prominent on every communication from the LD constituency party.

I'm sad Norman is standing down - at another time he would have been an ideal party leader but in the aftermath of the 2015 disaster we needed an energetic activist to get us off the floor. Tim Farron did that for all his leadership ended badly and for the renaissance of the party has had almost nothing to do with our leader and plenty with those of the other parties. His contribution to the debate on mental health in particular was outstanding and has, I'm pleased to say, been acknowledged across the political spectrum.
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's the americans now ?

:D You are a fruitcake
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, Aerin Sun[sp], played by Claudia Black.

I only saw the first two episodes during the re-run a couple of years ago, and she's pretty fantastic. I like how the crew is genuinely misfits who annoy each other too.

As an aside, she and Ben Browder [who played Crichton] were reunited in the last two Stargate SG-1 seasons, although I found that a bit weird.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450

Ol' Brydon hoping that the voters will fall for the nominative determinism thing.

In Shetland it makes sense - more than 40% voted Leave and there is still something of a fishing industry left who are desperate to get out of the CFP. Important that the voters have a choice and Brydon is the only candidate to give them the chance to vote for someone in favour of Leave.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    eristdoof said:

The LDs between 2007 and April 2010 were as close to Bair's New Labour as Brown's government was. All that changed with Cameron's speech on Friday 7th May.

Completely and massively incorrect in almost every aspect.

The Orange Booker LDs captured the leadership with Clegg and counted among their number the likes of Laws, Alexander and Jeremy Browne. That strand of more classical liberal thinking supplanted the more social liberal line which had dominated through Steel, Ashdown and Kennedy.

At the same time, Cameron moved to a more centrist position leaving behind the absurdity of the Hague/IDS/Howard years. He returned to a traditional "One Nation" liberal conservatism one of whose adherents at the time was a certain B Johnson.

The two lines converged on the question of the public finances primarily but also in rolling back some of the statism of the Brown years in particular. The Coalition as we know it was only possibly because of the convergence of the Orange Bookers and the liberal conservatives. Cameron created the Coalition on the day after the election but that was also down to his warm personal relationship with Clegg.
  • Options

In Shetland it makes sense - more than 40% voted Leave and there is still something of a fishing industry left who are desperate to get out of the CFP. Important that the voters have a choice and Brydon is the only candidate to give them the chance to vote for someone in favour of Leave.
    Are the SCons going to run a Brexit position on a constituency by constituency basis? I'd imagine that'd fall apart at a GE (Westminster or Holyrood)?
  • Options

Sort of, but it's basically a sales role. I view them on the same level of used car salesmen

Yet was once Captain Mainwaring. Is this progress?

Speaking of which, I never did get back to people with the detail on how Dads Army voted in the referendum. It was as below -

Mainwaring - leave with a Deal - prudence
    Wilson - remain - an open borders man (excluding nazis)
    Pike - non vote - got the day wrong
    Fraser - non vote - dislikes UK and EU in equal measure
    Walker - leave No Deal - black market opportunities
    Godfrey - remain - worried about care staff for sister Dolly
    Jones - leave No Deal - the EU don't like it up em
    Hodges - leave No Deal - bit of a closet racist
    Vicar - leave with a Deal - scared to give offence
    Verger - leave with a Deal - follows the Vicar in all things

Result - LEAVE wins by 75/25.

And then a tie between Deal and No Deal.

We're out - but it's gridlock as to how.
  • Options

Tories will soon sell the fishing out yet again, mugs if they vote Tory thinking they are ever going to give a shit about Scotland never mind Shetland.
  • Options

Are the SCons going to run a Brexit position on a constituency by constituency basis? I'd imagine that'd fall apart at a GE (Westminster or Holyrood)?
    Will Ross Thomson insist on being Boris Johnson’s Candidate instead of Ruth Davidson’s?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

SNP 1/5
    Con 7/1
    Lab 8/1
    LD 50/1
    Grn 200/1

- get the sack

Shadsy is so good at pricing up that I consider nearly all his markets to be his Christmas Fund. Luckily, Scotland is not his forté.

Eg:

SNP 5/6
    Con 5/6
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

Tee hee.
    Of all the SCon seats in NE Scotland this is the one most likely to be lost, as its very middle-class Remainy. However I think the Tory vote in the region will prove rather more resilient than some people might assume. Its small-town rural and the SNP is now a conspicuously leftish Central Belt party - things have moved on since Salmond ruled the roost (and lost his seat).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tories will soon sell the fishing out yet again, mugs if they vote Tory thinking they are ever going to give a shit about Scotland never mind Shetland.
    Malc - with respect, do you really expect to see Ms Sturgeon banging on doors in Peterhead come election time.? SNP have sold the pass on that one.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

English also has it's form of Denglish. But English-Denglish is not German-Denglish. The English usage of words like Angst and Wanderlust are often subtly different from their german meaning. There was even a German article complaining that Franz Ferdinand (the band) had misused the word Angst, when it fitted perfectly well with the English usage.

I know that in the 80's the NME had a column called "Angst", which was the first time I saw this word. Does anyone know if that was the source for using this word, or does it go back further?
    Pretty sure angst came into English through translations of Freud.
    Edit: Checking wiktionary, that and Kirkegaard.
    Not sure when it passed from academia to common usage though. Maybe from the NME.
  • Options

This is because swedish is another language. The native language accent hardly changes even if you are fluent in another language, but I'm willing to bet your Scotts accent when speaking Swedish has reduced over the years, as you get used to pronouncing the words the way the Swedes do.

After 3 years in Australia, English people cound hear that I lived in Australia, after 6 years in Germany, no one in England claims that I have picked up a German accent.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Is the Brexit Party PPC list (allegedly unveiled this morning) online anywhere?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Speaking of which, I never did get back to people with the detail on how Dads Army voted in the referendum. It was as below -

Can see Wilson "Do you really think that is wise?"
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

- get the sack

Eg:

SNP 5/6
    Con 5/6
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

Tee hee.
    Of all the SCon seats in NE Scotland this is the one most likely to be lost, as its very middle-class Remainy. However I think the Tory vote in the region will prove rather more resilient than some people might assume. Its small-town rural and the SNP is now a conspicuously leftish Central Belt party - things have moved on since Salmond ruled the roost (and lost his seat).
    Will they forgive touchy feely his transgressions though
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Pretty sure angst came into English through translations of Freud.
    Edit: Checking wiktionary, that and Kirkegaard.
    Not sure when it passed from academia to common usage though. Maybe from the NME.
    I don't know, but I am guessing that followers of Freud were using it in the German sense to mean "Fear" rather than the NME meaning.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    kinabalu said:

Instead, we've had Dad's Army running the negotiations, starring Private Francois of course.
This discussion has been closed.