Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How special is special? The US-UK relationship

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

malcolmg said:

Ol' Brydon hoping that the voters will fall for the nominative determinism thing.

https://twitter.com/LloydAMelville/status/1166280525142736896?s=20

The Ruth Davidson Party is now also the Leave The EU Party it would appear.

In Shetland it makes sense - more than 40% voted Leave and there is still something of a fishing industry left who are desperate to get out of the CFP. Important that the voters have a choice and Brydon is the only candidate to give them the chance to vote for someone in favour of Leave.
    Tories will soon sell the fishing out yet again, mugs if they vote Tory thinking they are ever going to give a shit about Scotland never mind Shetland.
    Malc - with respect, do you really expect to see Ms Sturgeon banging on doors in Peterhead come election time.? SNP have sold the pass on that one.
    No but does not hide the fact that the Tories will sell out fishing at the drop of a hat, they have form. Given we are heading for NO Deal who knows what will happen. Desperate days when they have to hide the party and try to pretend it is the Ruth Davidson Party.
    I wish the fishermen and hope they get what they asked for.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,147
    edited August 2019

malcolmg said:

Ol' Brydon hoping that the voters will fall for the nominative determinism thing.

In Shetland it makes sense - more than 40% voted Leave and there is still something of a fishing industry left who are desperate to get out of the CFP. Important that the voters have a choice and Brydon is the only candidate to give them the chance to vote for someone in favour of Leave.
    Tories will soon sell the fishing out yet again, mugs if they vote Tory thinking they are ever going to give a shit about Scotland never mind Shetland.
    Malc - with respect, do you really expect to see Ms Sturgeon banging on doors in Peterhead come election time.? SNP have sold the pass on that one.
    I know the fisher folk aren't first in the queue when it comes to taking responsibility for their own actions, so who do you think they'll blame for this?

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1165542901738364928?s=20
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

Mr. Catman, I only learned French up to GCSE. Wasn't too fond of it, although mostly the teachers weren't bad. Preferred German (and liked the teacher more).

Interesting. I always had Mr Dancer down as being a bit older than me, but being in one of the last years to do O'Levels it seems he must be younger.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    eristdoof said:

dixiedean said:

eristdoof said:

Mr. Dickson, that's a common thing. Germans sometimes speak Denglisch, and the Chinese Chinglish (although it's worth noting lots of people in both speak very good English indeed).

English also has it's form of Denglish. But English-Denglish is not German-Denglish. The English usage of words like Angst and Wanderlust are often subtly different from their german meaning. There was even a German article complaining that Franz Ferdinand (the band) had misused the word Angst, when it fitted perfectly well with the English usage.

I know that in the 80's the NME had a column called "Angst", which was the first time I saw this word. Does anyone know if that was the source for using this word, or does it go back further?
    Pretty sure angst came into English through translations of Freud.
    Edit: Checking wiktionary, that and Kirkegaard.
    Not sure when it passed from academia to common usage though. Maybe from the NME.
    I don't know, but I am guessing that followers of Freud were using it in the German sense to mean "Fear" rather than the NME meaning.
    This is not uncommon though. Adopt a word but change it's meaning.
    Karma means actions and thoughts.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

Mr. Divvie, swearing placeholders have changed over the years. It still seems weird to read (maybe in The Dark Is Rising? and certainly in a WWI book I read) 'blankety-blank'.

I tend to swear lightly in my writing and generally just use terms like "He cursed vehemently".

In Norman Mailer's first novel, The Naked and the Dead (still worth reading I think), the publisher forced Mailer to replace 'fuck' with 'fug', which given it centred on a US combat unit in the Pacific theatre, meant a lot of fugging. It was the worst of all worlds, inauthentic & prim yet leaving not the slightest doubt as to the word it was pretending not to be.
    when I read it as a 15 year old I got very confused and thought I had been saying it wrongly, or it was one of those words where spelling and pronunciation differ.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    stodge said:

eristdoof said:

The LDs between 2007 and April 2010 were as close to Bair's New Labour as Brown's government was. All that changed with Cameron's speech on Friday 7th May.

Completely and massively incorrect in almost every aspect.

The Orange Booker LDs captured the leadership with Clegg and counted among their number the likes of Laws, Alexander and Jeremy Browne. That strand of more classical liberal thinking supplanted the more social liberal line which had dominated through Steel, Ashdown and Kennedy.

At the same time, Cameron moved to a more centrist position leaving behind the absurdity of the Hague/IDS/Howard years. He returned to a traditional "One Nation" liberal conservatism one of whose adherents at the time was a certain B Johnson.

The two lines converged on the question of the public finances primarily but also in rolling back some of the statism of the Brown years in particular. The Coalition as we know it was only possibly because of the convergence of the Orange Bookers and the liberal conservatives. Cameron created the Coalition on the day after the election but that was also down to his warm personal relationship with Clegg.
    Hmmm. Yes and no I'd say.

The Orange Book takeover is clear but there was no real shift in terms of policy. Much of the running during the crisis was being made by Cable and I don't seem to remember there being any Tory/Lib Dem fiscal alignment before the election. Clegg thought by going into government he could make the Lib Dems into a SERIOUS party but most of their voters 23% of the total electorate - supported them presumably because they ALREADY thought they were a serious party.

It was in many ways the last triumph of Mrs Thatcher. Her great achievement was not in changing one party but two - she herself might have said new labour was her greatest legacy. The reality was she had changed three parties as a group of young economic liberals felt able to go into government with the Tories. This reached its apotheosis with the remarkable state funeral in 2013. Little did they know that the political tide had turned.

For all the talk of Cameron being a liberal conservative, he was an unworldly, sheltered boy of privilege. Osborne was a proud neocon, Gove even contributed a chapter to the book. Looking back at their plans post-crisis it was radical right. Fiscal stringency reliant on spending cuts and supply side reforms like reductions in red tape and corporation tax.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,243
    dixiedean said:

Can see Wilson "Do you really think that is wise?"

:-)

A member of the metro liberal elite before it even existed.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    kinabalu said:

Sort of, but it's basically a sales role. I view them on the same level of used car salesmen

Yet was once Captain Mainwaring. Is this progress?

Speaking of which, I never did get back to people with the detail on how Dads Army voted in the referendum. It was as below -

Mainwaring - leave with a Deal - prudence
    Wilson - remain - an open borders man (excluding nazis)
    Pike - non vote - got the day wrong
    Fraser - non vote - dislikes UK and EU in equal measure
    Walker - leave No Deal - black market opportunities
    Godfrey - remain - worried about care staff for sister Dolly
    Jones - leave No Deal - the EU don't like it up em
    Hodges - leave No Deal - bit of a closet racist
    Vicar - leave with a Deal - scared to give offence
    Verger - leave with a Deal - follows the Vicar in all things

Result - LEAVE wins by 75/25.

And then a tie between Deal and No Deal.

We're out - but it's gridlock as to how.
    Mostly agree with this except I think Mainwaring would be a reluctant Remainder.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Those concerned about the deep state might be interested in this example from the US:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1166306976034381824
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited August 2019
    A Kremlinological comment suggests the sharing by Hulkenberg of a picture showing Ocon in Renault colours means that Hulkenberg will get Bottas' seat:
    https://twitter.com/thomasmaheronf1/status/1166302553459560449

Edited extra bit: must be off.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Here's a really good article by Professor Roger Awan-Scully about the dangers of projecting seat numbers from polls at present. It's nominally about Wales but it's really about everywhere:

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/2019/08/27/why-understanding-the-electoral-battleground-is-so-hard/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

The Orange Book takeover is clear but there was no real shift in terms of policy. Much of the running during the crisis was being made by Cable and I don't seem to remember there being any Tory/Lib Dem fiscal alignment before the election. Clegg thought by going into government he could make the Lib Dems into a SERIOUS party but most of their voters 23% of the total electorate - supported them presumably because they ALREADY thought they were a serious party.

It was in many ways the last triumph of Mrs Thatcher. Her great achievement was not in changing one party but two - she herself might have said new labour was her greatest legacy. The reality was she had changed three parties as a group of young economic liberals felt able to go into government with the Tories. This reached its apotheosis with the remarkable state funeral in 2013. Little did they know that the political tide had turned.

For all the talk of Cameron being a liberal conservative, he was an unworldly, sheltered boy of privilege. Osborne was a proud neocon, Gove even contributed a chapter to the book. Looking back at their plans post-crisis it was radical right. Fiscal stringency reliant on spending cuts and supply side reforms like reductions in red tape and corporation tax.

Again, not wholly accurate. The work on pensions by Steve Webb and on reducing government spending by David Laws was in advance of anything Osborne and his team had. The situation in 2010 was parlous - the deficit and debt were out of control and the problem was with the economy sluggish increasing the tax take wasn't a practical option whereas reducing spending was.

I think where the Coalition went wrong was to ring-fence areas such as the NHS and Education which meant the axe fell disproportionately on local Government and areas such as the Police (Boris, as Mayor, was only too pleased to close operational Police stations, flog them off and reduce Police numbers so for him and his ilk to complain about law and order now is absurd).

There were no good solutions, only bad ones as the economy reeled from the shock of the GFC. I'd have liked to have seen some tax rises as the economy recovered and I think the LDs blocked earlier Osborne plans to reduce the higher rate of taxation (that was the Omnishambles Budget where Osborne had promised his wealthy friends the top rate of tax would be cut only to find the Quad didn't agree).

• Options

malcolmg said:

I know the fisher folk aren't first in the queue when it comes to taking responsibility for their own actions, so who do you think they'll blame for this?

Astonishing if true. The fishing fleets I knew were virtually 100% crewed by Scots fisher folk. In the 1960s I can only think of two crew members in the fleet who were not Scots, an Englishman from Lowestoft and a Welshman (not me)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I am probably biased but I don't think I've ever heard Anna Soubry being enthusiastic before:

Anna Soubry MP

@Anna_Soubry
    Excellent meeting between all the opposition party leaders this morning. We agree we will work together to stop a no deal #Brexit by legislation
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Next Scottish FIrst Minister
    - to succeed Nicola Sturgeon, either as FM, or Head of Government in independent state

Ruth Davidson 5/1
    Richard Leonard 6/1
    Derek Mackay 10/1
    Keith Brown 12/1
    Kate Forbes 12/1
    Humza Yousaf 12/1
    Mhairi Black 16/1
    Angus Robertson 16/1
    Shona Robison 16/1
    John Swinney 16/1
    Stewart Hosie 20/1
    Michael Matheson 20/1
    Shirley-Anne Somerville 20/1
    many other names listed, both SNP and others, at longer prices

(Coral; Ladbrokes)

Some of the names on here are just daft at such short prices, not least prime turkey Ruthie.

This is going to be between Mackay and A.N.Other. Who Mr or Mrs Other might be is a bit of a mystery. Leonard is not even going to be SLab leader at the next Scottish GE, and I’d be surprised if Ruthie is still around either. The most tempting Unionist prices are:

Anas Sarwar (SLab) at 100/1
    Neil Findlay (SLab) at 100/1
    Willie Rennie (SLD) at 100/1

All of those have got to be worth a speculative price of a pint, surely?

I’d stick a tenner on Mackay if I thought Sturgeon was on the brink of retirement. However, she isn’t.

Why are Ruth’s odds any different to the Tories getting a majority at Holyrood (saving weight of money / risk management etc)?

- get disillusioned and retire
    - get the sack

Then add in that SLab and SLD wouldn’t touch her party with a shitty stick.
    ... so you’d have to be nuts to stake anything on her at such a silly short price as 5/1. Shadsy is taking the piss.
    So at a minimum it would be 7/1 (discounting the chance that she gets thrown overboard) as I can't see her being the FM in a parliament where someone else has most seats (presumably that outcome would be an SNP led coalition).

I assume it is Shadsy's Christmas Fund
    Shadsy is so good at pricing up that I consider nearly all his markets to be his Christmas Fund. Luckily, Scotland is not his forté.

Eg:

Next UK GE - Aberdeen South (Con Maj 4,752; Ross Thomson MP)

SNP 5/6
    Con 5/6
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

Tee hee.
    Of all the SCon seats in NE Scotland this is the one most likely to be lost, as its very middle-class Remainy. However I think the Tory vote in the region will prove rather more resilient than some people might assume. Its small-town rural and the SNP is now a conspicuously leftish Central Belt party - things have moved on since Salmond ruled the roost (and lost his seat).
    Will they forgive touchy feely his transgressions though
    Dunno. You tell me...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Except it is bollocks. Many of the boats working the North Sea have non EU crews which are completely unaffected by Brexit. Whst is currently killing a lot of the East Coast lobster catching is a combination of wind farm developments and aggregate extraction which have major short term effects. Thankfully in both cases recovery is quite rapid.

But when the lobster fishermen are shut out of their grounds for weeks on end due to large scale site surveys it is often enough to drive them out of business.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

No but does not hide the fact that the Tories will sell out fishing at the drop of a hat, they have form. Given we are heading for NO Deal who knows what will happen. Desperate days when they have to hide the party and try to pretend it is the Ruth Davidson Party.
    I wish the fishermen and hope they get what they asked for.
    Who knows, you may be right, but I rather doubt it on the sell-out point. We've moved on since the days of Ted Heath. Let's remember SNP got going in the NE, on "It's Scotland's Oil" and "Scotland out of the Common Market". Both those messages well and truly defunct!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I am probably biased but I don't think I've ever heard Anna Soubry being enthusiastic before:

Anna Soubry MP

@Anna_Soubry
    Excellent meeting between all the opposition party leaders this morning. We agree we will work together to stop a no deal #Brexit by legislation

She certainly comes over as rather angry in interviews, irrespective of the topic she is talking about.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,591

The

eek said:

Labour overall majority is currently at 18 on Betfair. It may be odds against but it's not a 17/1 shot and I've just taken some of that.

I don't think it's possible for Labour to win a majority now they've lost Scotland.

The SNP surge is one reason why we are in the mess we are in.
    Che peccato!

Here’s a novel suggestion: why don’t English MPs run England, and Scottish MPs run Scotland? Then we can stop blaming each other.
    Why do you think that will stop the gnats blaming the English?

Will go from 'abusive husband' and 'Tories are Nazis' to 'estranged abusive husband' and 'Tories are Nazis'.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jo Swinson gonna be live on WATO shortly
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stodge said:

Again, not wholly accurate. The work on pensions by Steve Webb and on reducing government spending by David Laws was in advance of anything Osborne and his team had. The situation in 2010 was parlous - the deficit and debt were out of control and the problem was with the economy sluggish increasing the tax take wasn't a practical option whereas reducing spending was.

I think where the Coalition went wrong was to ring-fence areas such as the NHS and Education which meant the axe fell disproportionately on local Government and areas such as the Police (Boris, as Mayor, was only too pleased to close operational Police stations, flog them off and reduce Police numbers so for him and his ilk to complain about law and order now is absurd).

There were no good solutions, only bad ones as the economy reeled from the shock of the GFC. I'd have liked to have seen some tax rises as the economy recovered and I think the LDs blocked earlier Osborne plans to reduce the higher rate of taxation (that was the Omnishambles Budget where Osborne had promised his wealthy friends the top rate of tax would be cut only to find the Quad didn't agree).

But the economy was recovering when the Coalition took office - a recovery effectively torpedoed by Osborne's austerity policies which had been condemned by the LibDems during the 2010 election campaign. As a result the cyclical recovery in output was delayed with negative impact on the public finances.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Unprecedented cross-party enthusiasm about Corbyn's stop-No Deal meeting today - Jo Swinson says it's very positive, Anna S is enthusiastic, the SNP and Plaid are up for it. Key seems to be the agreement to try the "take control of the agenda" first and push back a VONC.

Just conceivably, if working together on this actually works out, it will provide a basis of trust to work together on other matters in the future.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

malcolmg said:

Astonishing if true. The fishing fleets I knew were virtually 100% crewed by Scots fisher folk. In the 1960s I can only think of two crew members in the fleet who were not Scots, an Englishman from Lowestoft and a Welshman (not me)
    G you can bet it is true and especially I bet on the east coast millionaire Tories boats.
This discussion has been closed.