Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The coming Battle of Brighton could determine the fate of Brex

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

Charles said:

I’m guessing he didn’t have the evidence to support his assertions?
    Surely the Home Office should be using HMRC’s records to confirm working status not People’s own paperwork that could be forged
    The independent article on this story said that 79% of applicants were cleared without additional evidence being needed (beyond basic ID plus NI number)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834
    edited August 2019
    Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Surely the Home Office should be using HMRC’s records to confirm working status not People’s own paperwork that could be forged
    The independent article on this story said that 79% of applicants were cleared without additional evidence being needed (beyond basic ID plus NI number)
    Perhaps he can have the Darwin award instead?

https://twitter.com/BrexitBin/status/1165015580610613250?s=19
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

eek said:

Charles said:

I am puzzled about ppi claims for the same reason. The chairman of one of the banks was moaning the other day that half the claims are fraudulent, to which the answer is surely: you are a bank. Why do you not know from your records what you lent to whom on what terms?
    Not after about 3 years if the loan is no longer active
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1164855146251206658

Says woman who was probably in the Communist Party until two years ago, to one of the architects of three Labour wins in a row.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

eek said:

Charles said:

Generally, it's bad practice to introduce legislation requiring people to produce documentation that has never been needed before. Most people (in particular most people in Britain - Germany may be a bit different!) don't keep 20 years of records of everything they've done - if you asked me how often and for how long I went abroad in 2011, say, I wouldn't have a clue.

Most honest disputes come down to that, and it ought to be sufficient to produce independent witnesses to confirm that you've been around for decades, unless they're really trying to make it difficult.
    This is hardly new - the introduction of requirements to produce documentation from before the introduction of legislation has been going on for decades - and is usually very poorly publicised.
    My wife had very similar issues around getting permanent residence granted, many years back (she has since taken British citizenship). The anxiety around sending the Home Office original documents (including passport) was immense.

The Home Office were similarly unhelpful, or unaware of their own rules back then. Until you have engaged with the bureaucracy, it’s hard to understand how debilitating the process can be.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

The issue with the backstop, it now seems to me, isn't the viability of the alternative arrangements, but of the arbitrary nature of the EU's ability to activate the backstop. It is this that needs to be replaced either with third party arbitration (which is a non starter, as there is no organisation capable that would have the faith of both parties), or with a series of objectively demonstrable commitments, entered into by the UK. So what really needs to happen is for the EU to provide a list of their criteria. It is then for the UK, if we consider all the criteria to be reasonable, to suggest benchmarks and agree on these with the EU.

The backstop is described as an insurance policy, and so sounds benign. But in fact it is a hostage policy requiring us to conform to their rules unless and until they deem such conformity to be unnecessary.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Charles said:

eek said:

Yet an article the other day said dozens of mini-deals had already been done.
    Dozens of mini deals have already been done.

File under MRDA.
    Have they? Do we know this for a fact and are they 100% legally water tight?
    Let’s say they don’t apply.

Post no deal we want to fly planes

Do you think the EU is going to stop us flying planes while the CAA is readmitted to the IATA (I think that’s the International rule setter).

If not, then a mini deal has been done

If so, then that is an unbelievable hostile act to a friendly nation and close neighbour. As Chris Grayling told me (although a Cabinet Minister should be more careful with his language) it would be “tantamount to an act of war”
    An act of war? We are so disorganised that we can't get our paperwork in order and that is not only somebody else's fault you want to fight them over it?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Perhaps he can have the Darwin award instead?

https://twitter.com/BrexitBin/status/1165015580610613250?s=19
    There's quite a queue for the award what with all the sheep farmers.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Not so very different to Labour's position before the 1974 elections - reject the Heath terms - renegotiate - hold a Referendum.

If we do get Ref2 under Labour I expect the Leave option to be Norway Plus. If so, it is almost impossible to see it winning. Remainers will mostly prefer Remain and all of those Leavers who think the May Deal is 'not Brexit' are unlikely to think something even less pure is worth campaigning and voting for.

Low turnout, probably, and a result something like the following -

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831
    LEAVE - Nick Boles and Richard Tyndall

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Even I might have trouble with the plus bit as being in a CU is a really stupid idea.

But it would be moot anyway. As I have always said a second referendum would be undemocratic and I would not vote in it. If it comes to that then democracy is dead in this country and I would be cheering on any form of action, legal or illegal that formed the backlash against it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

The issue with the backstop, it now seems to me, isn't the viability of the alternative arrangements, but of the arbitrary nature of the EU's ability to activate the backstop. It is this that needs to be replaced either with third party arbitration (which is a non starter, as there is no organisation capable that would have the faith of both parties), or with a series of objectively demonstrable commitments, entered into by the UK. So what really needs to happen is for the EU to provide a list of their criteria. It is then for the UK, if we consider all the criteria to be reasonable, to suggest benchmarks and agree on these with the EU.

The UK has already agreed this in the joint report and the subsequent mapping exercise.
    No, the UK didn't agree to it. Theresa May did.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Too warm. Boo hiss to global warming.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

What's the story?

What does the Home Office disagree with him about - if anything?
    You don't need the story you just have to believe him because he's an activist on Twitter with an axe to grind.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

Who knew prior to this shitshow they’d need to document their life?
    Every Briton living in an EU country has known from day 1 that you need to legalise your position pronto if you want to stay. It is the same in the UK.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I have seen pictures of Adolf Hitler surrounded by adoring, smiling children. What's not to like?
    If you had lived through the terrors of Hitler and the appalling pathe news of the liberation of the camps as I can remember as a child you would not be making insane and disgusting comments such as those

You are possesed with Hitler sadly the name of whom makes me shudder, especially when it is used by sad people like yourself trying to make an ill judged political point
    I bow to no one in my detestation of Adolf Hitler and everything he stood for. I have seen the footage of the Death Camps being liberated albeit a few years later than yourself - though am surprised that you are able to remember 1945 when those events occurred. I have also read the entire transcripts of the Nuremberg Trials of 1945 - 46 - indeed it took me several years to do that.
    There is nothing insane or disgusting about drawing attention to pictures which exist in fact - and have been widely broadcast. You appear to have missed the perhaps more subtle point - that being surrounded by a few adoring ,smiling subjects does not change the truth regarding the monster at he centre of the picture..
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I have seen pictures of Adolf Hitler surrounded by adoring, smiling children. What's not to like?
    If you had lived through the terrors of Hitler and the appalling pathe news of the liberation of the camps as I can remember as a child you would not be making insane and disgusting comments such as those

You are possesed with Hitler sadly the name of whom makes me shudder, especially when it is used by sad people like yourself trying to make an ill judged political point
    I bow to no one in my detestation of Adolf Hitler and everything he stood for. I have seen the footage of the Death Camps being liberated albeit a few years later than yourself - though am surprised that you are able to remember 1945 when those events occurred. I have also read the entire transcripts of the Nuremberg Trials of 1945 - 46 - indeed it took me several years to do that.
    There is nothing insane or disgusting about drawing attention to pictures which exist in fact - and have been widely broadcast. You appear to have missed the perhaps more subtle point - that being surrounded by a few adoring ,smiling subjects does not change the truth regarding the monster at he centre of the picture..
    I am no fan of Boris but to liken him to Hitler and call him a monster shows you up for a thoroughly nasty person for all to see. Just because you no longer have any polling evidence to back up your partisanship you choose to step into the gutter. You are a disgrace to the site.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Charles said:

eek said:

File under MRDA.

Do you think the EU is going to stop us flying planes while the CAA is readmitted to the IATA (I think that’s the International rule setter).

If so, then that is an unbelievable hostile act to a friendly nation and close neighbour. As Chris Grayling told me (although a Cabinet Minister should be more careful with his language) it would be “tantamount to an act of war”
    An act of war? We are so disorganised that we can't get our paperwork in order and that is not only somebody else's fault you want to fight them over it?
    Not sure Charles picked the right example; we're members of the Chicago convention which both pre-dates the EU and will provide a level of open skies protection after our exit
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834
    felix said:

What's the story?

You don't need the story you just have to believe him because he's an activist on Twitter with an axe to grind.
    Yeah, a Leave activist...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited August 2019
    felix said:

Every Briton living in an EU country has known from day 1 that you need to legalise your position pronto if you want to stay. It is the same in the UK.

Not at all. I grew up in Denmark and stopped registering when Denmark joined in the EU, in the mistaken belief that I no longer needed to. The police called me in and said they were considering prosecution - would I like to take legal advice before responding? I said yes, and the policeman shrugged and said, "Oh well, don't worry, but remember next year."

You really can't safely assume that everyone is well-organised, and it's really rather un-British to legislate on the basis that everyone must have their papers in order in case they are ever needed in the future.
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am no fan of Boris but to liken him to Hitler and call him a monster shows you up for a thoroughly nasty person for all to see. Just because you no longer have any polling evidence to back up your partisanship you choose to step into the gutter. You are a disgrace to the site.
    felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Take a good look at yourself. Your own bigotry - and ignorance - is clear for all to see.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

What's the story?

Yeah, a Leave activist...
    Exactly - the rules apply to everyone regardless of how stupid they are. Best to delay judging until more than his assertions are known.
  • Options

felix said:

Not at all. I grew up in Denmark and stopped registering when Denmark joined in the EU, in the mistaken belief that I no longer needed to. The police called me in and said they were considering prosecution - would I like to take legal advice before responding? I said yes, and the policeman shrugged and said, "Oh well, don't worry, but remember next year."

You really can't safely assume that everyone is well-organised, and it's really rather un-British to legislate on the basis that everyone must have their papers in order in case they are ever needed in the future.

In this case all we know are this man's assertions. Yet everyone assumes he must be hard done by. I believe in people taking responsibility for their lives and it is double important if you choose to live in another country. You presumably understand and accept the Policeman was within his rights? As for being 'un-British' that is just so much nonsense. Rules are rules. End of.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Take a good look at yourself. Your own bigotry - and ignorance - is clear for all to see.
    I think not on this occasion.
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Oh , I think it is! You clearly have not got a clue when it comes to psephology , and clearly find it difficult to absorb any critical analysis of Polling data which seeks to challenge the prevailing view or bias.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Good afternoon, everyone.

Too warm. Boo hiss to global warming.

Take your coat off then....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Your posts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    felix said:

In this case all we know are this man's assertions. Yet everyone assumes he must be hard done by. I believe in people taking responsibility for their lives and it is double important if you choose to live in another country. You presumably understand and accept the Policeman was within his rights? As for being 'un-British' that is just so much nonsense. Rules are rules. End of.

I've not expressed a view on this case, since like you I don't know the details. Nor do I argue that the police should not enforce the law. I merely argue that legislation that requires documentation not previously required is retrospective, and it is not reasonable (or in the British tradition) to require that everyone is retrospectively perfectly documented.

Suppose a future government required you to show that you were not posting on this forum before 2015 (so that someone called "felix" who made a seditious comment in 2014 could not have been you). Wouldn't you feel it was unfair to expect you to prove something you'd never been asked to document before?
  • Options
    Charles said:

So how did the Conservatives manage up to 2007 when they went to Brighton and Bournemouth and Blackpool ?

Are you saying that accommodation or communication capabilities have declined since then ?

Because I very much doubt it.

And how are the LibDems and TUC managing at Bournemouth this year and Labour in Brighton ?

You could also explain how this 'hold the conference in a big city and it will help in the local marginals' strategy is supposed to work.

Because looking at the actual election results it doesn't seem to.

Do you really think someone in Bolton is more likely to vote Conservative because they had their conference in Manchester ?

Well they are refurbishing the Winter Gardens in Blackpool to host big conferences so presumably the council has decided it’s not up scratch.

As for the local marginal strategy it’s about local media coverage

I don’t know why they changed. And I don’t really care. But I highly doubt it fits into your grievance narrative. Many of the points you make are good and missed by others. Here you are off target.

But may be we should go back to the original question you never answered. Why is it “unpleasant and unconservative” rather than pragmatic for the Tories to change
    Local media coverage ?????

Do you really think that people change their vote on 'local media coverage' of party conferences ?

Now let me explain that giving the impression that the likes of Blackpool , Bournemouth and even Brighton aren't good enough for them and that they are only at home in big cities does not help the Conservative image in other places.

And it is those other places and not the big cities which the Conservatives need to win.

Now if the Conservatives want to be pragmatic and highlight marginals then holding the conference in a different location each year would be a better idea so why not Southampton followed by Reading followed by Stoke followed by Derby followed by Warrington followed by Wakefield ?

Or aren't the places with actual marginal constituencies 'glitzy' enough ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Oh , I think it is! You clearly have not got a clue when it comes to psephology , and clearly find it difficult to absorb any critical analysis of Polling data which seeks to challenge the prevailing view or bias.
    Rofl. It's the way you tell them. Time you jogged off to root out some Tory bastards. Give everyone a break.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2019

Says woman who was probably in the Communist Party until two years ago, to one of the architects of three Labour wins in a row.

And these are the kind of people that Jezza wants to throw money at to make sure journalism doesn't die....
  • Options
    England giving Ireland a right thumping in the rugby.
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Rofl. It's the way you tell them. Time you jogged off to root out some Tory bastards. Give everyone a break.
    Perhaps you fit the definition well yourself.
  • Options

felix said:

I've not expressed a view on this case, since like you I don't know the details. Nor do I argue that the police should not enforce the law. I merely argue that legislation that requires documentation not previously required is retrospective, and it is not reasonable (or in the British tradition) to require that everyone is retrospectively perfectly documented.

Suppose a future government required you to show that you were not posting on this forum before 2015 (so that someone called "felix" who made a seditious comment in 2014 could not have been you). Wouldn't you feel it was unfair to expect you to prove something you'd never been asked to document before?
    Your comments suggest you do have a view. In the hypothetical case you outline which has nothing to do with residency you may have a point. I repeat anyone choosing to live outside their own country has a responsibility to follow the rules of that country. Or face perfectly legitimate questions. Most of the comments here and elsewhere are assuming that all of the assertions made are true. I do not.
  • Options
    As is my way-

Liverpool 1.53
    Arsenal 6.4
    Draw 5.1

(personally I've gone under 3.5 goals at 1.9 and given it the treatment)
  • Options

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Wow. No in my family only my elder brother was conceived out of wedlock. You really are quite strange with your obsessions. However, I am a rampant homosexual if it makes you feel any better.
  • Options

And these are the kind of people that Jezza wants to throw money at to make sure journalism doesn't die....
    Hopefully the Canary will have folded long before Jezza gets his hands on the treasury money.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited August 2019
    felix said:

However, I am a rampant homosexual if it makes you feel any better.

Were you third of 3 brothers? Apparently the stats say you're much more likely to be homosexual.
  • Options

felix said:

However, I am a rampant homosexual if it makes you feel any better.

Were you third of 3 brothers? Apparently the stats say you're much more likely to be homosexual.
    2nd of 2 - but don't tell the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Not so very different to Labour's position before the 1974 elections - reject the Heath terms - renegotiate - hold a Referendum.

If we do get Ref2 under Labour I expect the Leave option to be Norway Plus. If so, it is almost impossible to see it winning. Remainers will mostly prefer Remain and all of those Leavers who think the May Deal is 'not Brexit' are unlikely to think something even less pure is worth campaigning and voting for.

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Even I might have trouble with the plus bit as being in a CU is a really stupid idea.

But it would be moot anyway. As I have always said a second referendum would be undemocratic and I would not vote in it. If it comes to that then democracy is dead in this country and I would be cheering on any form of action, legal or illegal that formed the backlash against it.
    Violent revolution?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Violent revolution?
    Maybe a British Spring!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Violent revolution?
    Toys out of pram. Very frightening.
  • Options
    Palace 2-1 up in extra time.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    I wish I was rampant. In any sense would be fine.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Violent revolution?
    I have no idea. All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.
  • Options

Palace 2-1 up in extra time.

And full time - very good entertainment for a boring results prog
  • Options
    Get a grip Tyndall - no-ones going to bat an eye-lid at ref2 - It's priced in by the faith we have of the political class.
  • Options

All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.

Remainers seem completely unaware of the anger their game-playing with democracy is engendering.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited August 2019
    felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

At least he hasn't wish him dead yet, so an improvement from this thoughts regarding the previous PM.
  • Options

All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.

Remainers seem completely unaware of the anger their game-playing with democracy is engendering.
    Ridiculous. Most people just assume we're staying in or having another ref cus that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU. The people aren't stupid. There'll be no violent revolutions here.
  • Options
    Well, we've overtaken Australia's first innings total and are eating into their second innings total....

(Second innings they were 36-2...)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Ridiculous. Most people just assume we're staying in or having another ref cus that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU. The people aren't stupid. There'll be no violent revolutions here.
    No other country has tried to leave the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

The only other time a country tried to leave the EU, they errrr... left the EU.

There was a single referendum (won 53:47), and then about three years of negotiations, and then Greenland departed.
  • Options

Well, we've overtaken Australia's first innings total and are eating into their second innings total....

Its the hope that kills you.
  • Options

Who said violence? But fantastically creative and amusing annoyance? Sure....
  • Options

Technically, both Greenland has left, as have several French overseas departments.
  • Options

Get a grip Tyndall - no-ones going to bat an eye-lid at ref2 - It's priced in by the faith we have of the political class.

I think you are in for a very nasty surprise.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

Only one member state, Ireland, obliged by their constitution, decided on ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 2008 (Ireland), 12 June 2008, 53.2% against, turnout 53.1%
    In 2008, Irish voters rejected the Treaty of Lisbon.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland, 2 October 2009, 67.1% in favour, turnout 59.0%
    After the first vote by Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Council and the Irish Government released separate documents, referred to as the "Irish Guarantees", that stated the other member countries would not use the possibility in the Treaty to diminish the number of permanent commissioners in favour of a rotating system with fewer commissioners, and not threaten Ireland's military neutrality and rules on abortion.[1][2] With these assurances, the Irish approved the unchanged Lisbon Treaty in a second referendum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_related_to_the_European_Union

A clear case of vote again until the right option. There's been other's that Farage has quoted but I can't be botered to find them.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,282

The portents are certainly encouraging.

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/743027146482941952?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    kinabalu said:

I know people don't want to hear this - and I apologise in advance - but England can win from here.

I'm on at 7.6 and will be laying back at 3 when they reach 240 for 5.

Lay back at 3 taken already!

Wonder if punters are getting carried away a bit now.

Or is Headingly 2019 going to supplant Headingly 1981?
  • Options

Its the hope that kills you.
    Abandon hope:
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25742181/why-do-think-test-match-chases-300-all-tough
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited August 2019

We've had a spate of tourists' cars defaced with "Screw the EU" stickers up here in Northumberland.
    Making visitors feel unwelcome seems like as good a post-Brexit strategy as any.
  • Options

Which might be an improvement on the fantastically destructive and unamusing annoyance of No Deal...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I know people don't want to hear this - and I apologise in advance - but England can win from here.

Wonder ?

They are being absurdly optimistic.

Nice trade, though. I forget how irrational sports fans can become.

• Options
    Mr. B, it's wonderful on the rare occasions odds are obviously wrong.

The Button 70/1 title bet springs to mind. As does the painful lesson to back one's own tips...
  • Options

Mr. B, it's wonderful on the rare occasions odds are obviously wrong.

The Button 70/1 title bet springs to mind. As does the painful lesson to back one's own tips...

Of course. But the smart guys are the ones who’ve already taken their profit.
  • Options
    Total shit show from the umpires again this test.
  • Options

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

Only one member state, Ireland, obliged by their constitution, decided on ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 2008 (Ireland), 12 June 2008, 53.2% against, turnout 53.1%

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland, 2 October 2009, 67.1% in favour, turnout 59.0%
    After the first vote by Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Council and the Irish Government released separate documents, referred to as the "Irish Guarantees", that stated the other member countries would not use the possibility in the Treaty to diminish the number of permanent commissioners in favour of a rotating system with fewer commissioners, and not threaten Ireland's military neutrality and rules on abortion.[1][2] With these assurances, the Irish approved the unchanged Lisbon Treaty in a second referendum.

A clear case of vote again until the right option. There's been other's that Farage has quoted but I can't be botered to find them.

Ỳou said there would be another referendum because "that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU".

Now, if you'd said another referendum had happened "whenever new EU treaties were rejected by voters" you might have a point. But that's not what you said.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

Ỳou said there would be another referendum because "that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU".

Now, if you'd said another referendum had happened "whenever new EU treaties were rejected by voters" you might have a point. But that's not what you said.
    It's the same principle. It was never going to be easy leaving the EU. Why would they want to encourage others? They gave us "the worst deal in history", which should perhaps of been expected. Thankfully though we live in the country of the Glorious Revolution so our vote will be respected and we'll leave on 31st October.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Laid off from my original 10 at 2.8.

Go England!
  • Options
    Morris-

You'd have probably ended up hedging that 70/1 on Button away to practically nothing so you needn't worry.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

We've had a spate of tourists' cars defaced with "Screw the EU" stickers up here in Northumberland.

If the perpetrator reads PB they will feel they have the backing of Richard Tyndall for their actions.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Laid off from my original 10 at 2.8.

Go England!
    I used to do this kind of betting. But wouldn't be better to hedge more so that you were green on both??
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    dichotomus posts for effect
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Violent revolution?
    I have no idea. All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.
    Amost half of us were Remainers three years ago and there are indications that that proportion has increased.
    Certainly the 52% weren't voting for No Deal.
    Why aren't you blaming the ERG for driving you down the path towards illegal alternatives to democracy?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    These odds seem a bit silly given the situation.

England 2.82
    Australia 1.55

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.161492920
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    AndyJS said:

These odds seem a bit silly given the situation.

England 2.82
    Australia 1.55

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.161492920

Indeed. Boots filled.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, unlikely, as Brawn won 6 of the first 7 races (from memory). Plenty of green to go around.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

What is it with ultra-rightwing loons and their inability to fly their country’s flag the right way up? If they can’t get it right...
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, unlikely, as Brawn won 6 of the first 7 races (from memory). Plenty of green to go around.

I think I got on Button at 2/1 after the second race. I was going to hedge that halfway through the second half of the season cus they were really very crap in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I am in Edinburgh for the weekend.

Listening to the local radio station earlier, I heard a news report containing a preview of the Rugby, including the fact that "Scotland got thumped 32-3 last weekend"
  • Options

I think I got on Button at 2/1 after the second race. I was going to hedge that halfway through the second half of the season cus they were really very crap in the 2nd half.
    Maybe it was evens. Anyway there was definitely a few wobbly moments for Team Button.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,282
    rpjs said:

What is it with ultra-rightwing loons and their inability to fly their country’s flag the right way up? If they can’t get it right...
    Their subconciousness knows they're in distress.
  • Options

As is my way-

Liverpool 1.53
    Arsenal 6.4
    Draw 5.1

(personally I've gone under 3.5 goals at 1.9 and given it the treatment)

Cashed out for 16 quid profit (just in time)

A Winnar is me
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Technically, both Greenland has left, as have several French overseas departments.
    True, I should have said member state.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    vomit inducing right enough
  • Options

Charles said:

eek said:

File under MRDA.

We applied to join towards the end of 2016. The EU vetoed our application on the grounds we couldn’t join while a member of the EU.
  • Options

Charles said:

eek said:

File under MRDA.

Not sure Charles picked the right example; we're members of the Chicago convention which both pre-dates the EU and will provide a level of open skies protection after our exit
    It’s not open skies - it’s the certification of planes as airworthy. Until about 5 years ago the CAA used to do it directly but now does it as an issuing agency on behalf of the EU authority.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    felix said:

Wow. No in my family only my elder brother was conceived out of wedlock. You really are quite strange with your obsessions. However, I am a rampant homosexual if it makes you feel any better.

And what’s more you don’t know how to use blockquotes!!’

😂
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Charles said:

felix said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

😂

No tell us how block quotes work please
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

vomit inducing right enough
    I believe Prue Leith is leading a review of NHS food
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Listening to the local radio station earlier, I heard a news report containing a preview of the Rugby, including the fact that "Scotland got thumped 32-3 last weekend"
    LOL, what a twat, we heard it last week when it happened you donkey. Keep your finger on the pulse.
  • Options
    A fun Saturday night market-

Bank of England - Governor of the Bank of England after Mark Carney

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/current-affairs/market/1.161006036
  • Options
    Charles said:

felix said:

😂
    He is not alone, on the blockquotes bit I hasten to add.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

It's the same principle. It was never going to be easy leaving the EU. Why would they want to encourage others? They gave us "the worst deal in history", which should perhaps of been expected. Thankfully though we live in the country of the Glorious Revolution so our vote will be respected and we'll leave on 31st October.
    It might be a very similar principle, but it's not the same thing. Be accurate, or don't post.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

LOL, what a twat, we heard it last week when it happened you donkey. Keep your finger on the pulse.
    It is quite hard to keep up to date with Scottish sports news when you live in England. I remember I happened to be wearing an Aberdeen away top one time and someone asked me who the manager was - and I was like - I dunno, it's hard to keep up with Scottish sports when you live in England.
This discussion has been closed.