Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The coming Battle of Brighton could determine the fate of Brex

1235»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

A fun Saturday night market-

Bank of England - Governor of the Bank of England after Mark Carney

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/current-affairs/market/1.161006036

What an exciting life you lead Briskin , wetting your pants at the thought of who is next Governor of the BoE
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What an exciting life you lead Briskin , wetting your pants at the thought of who is next Governor of the BoE
    Well I've cashed out of Liverpool V Arsenal
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

England giving Ireland a right thumping in the rugby.

I am in Edinburgh for the weekend.

Listening to the local radio station earlier, I heard a news report containing a preview of the Rugby, including the fact that "Scotland got thumped 32-3 last weekend"
    LOL, what a twat, we heard it last week when it happened you donkey. Keep your finger on the pulse.
    It is quite hard to keep up to date with Scottish sports news when you live in England. I remember I happened to be wearing an Aberdeen away top one time and someone asked me who the manager was - and I was like - I dunno, it's hard to keep up with Scottish sports when you live in England.
    yes it is difficult getting on to the internet right enough.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    malcolmg said:

Well I suppose there is fuck all on Telly but you could go back up the pub.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

Only one member state, Ireland, obliged by their constitution, decided on ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 2008 (Ireland), 12 June 2008, 53.2% against, turnout 53.1%
    In 2008, Irish voters rejected the Treaty of Lisbon.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland, 2 October 2009, 67.1% in favour, turnout 59.0%
    After the first vote by Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Council and the Irish Government released separate documents, referred to as the "Irish Guarantees", that stated the other member countries would not use the possibility in the Treaty to diminish the number of permanent commissioners in favour of a rotating system with fewer commissioners, and not threaten Ireland's military neutrality and rules on abortion.[1][2] With these assurances, the Irish approved the unchanged Lisbon Treaty in a second referendum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_related_to_the_European_Union

A clear case of vote again until the right option. There's been other's that Farage has quoted but I can't be botered to find them.

Ỳou said there would be another referendum because "that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU".

Now, if you'd said another referendum had happened "whenever new EU treaties were rejected by voters" you might have a point. But that's not what you said.
    It's the same principle. It was never going to be easy leaving the EU. Why would they want to encourage others? They gave us "the worst deal in history", which should perhaps of been expected. Thankfully though we live in the country of the Glorious Revolution so our vote will be respected and we'll leave on 31st October.
    It might be a very similar principle, but it's not the same thing. Be accurate, or don't post.
    My new nickname on PB is now Mr Accurate.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

When I get to the point that my life is wondering who next Governor of BoE is I will know I have none and exit stage right.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Listening to the local radio station earlier, I heard a news report containing a preview of the Rugby, including the fact that "Scotland got thumped 32-3 last weekend"
    LOL, what a twat, we heard it last week when it happened you donkey. Keep your finger on the pulse.
    It is quite hard to keep up to date with Scottish sports news when you live in England. I remember I happened to be wearing an Aberdeen away top one time and someone asked me who the manager was - and I was like - I dunno, it's hard to keep up with Scottish sports when you live in England.
    It's not the same though is it? (not that you would know living a life so insular)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    malcolmg said:

vomit inducing right enough
    I dunno - there's a certain charm to these things. You can't really fake a degree of pleasure in helping people that Boris is demonstrating here. I'd run a mile personally. I suspect too that Corbyn wouldn't be quite so comfortable, May would have looked totally uncomfortable, Gordo more so, and can you imagine Foot?

I don't think it says much, but it's a small tick in the Boris box.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

When I get to the point that my life is wondering who next Governor of BoE is I will know I have none and exit stage right.
    We used to be able to look forward to the test card but those days are long gone
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

malcolmg said:

Yes well I was actually being somewhat sarcastic in my first post about BoE anyway. (Besides there's practically no liquidity!)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

I dunno - there's a certain charm to these things. You can't really fake a degree of pleasure in helping people that Boris is demonstrating here. I'd run a mile personally. I suspect too that Corbyn wouldn't be quite so comfortable, May would have looked totally uncomfortable, Gordo more so, and can you imagine Foot?

He is just a much better actor than them , though I have to admit he has to be more human than any of those two, you just cannot imagine any of those two looking real at anything.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It's not the same though is it? (not that you would know living a life so insular)
    you halfwit , you know nothing about me.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Given that meal was 1.50 more than a whole day of NHS meals it’s no wonder she looks pleased.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

I believe Prue Leith is leading a review of NHS food
    Not a good choice in my opinion.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

I know you're an insular Scotnat
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Not so very different to Labour's position before the 1974 elections - reject the Heath terms - renegotiate - hold a Referendum.

If we do get Ref2 under Labour I expect the Leave option to be Norway Plus. If so, it is almost impossible to see it winning. Remainers will mostly prefer Remain and all of those Leavers who think the May Deal is 'not Brexit' are unlikely to think something even less pure is worth campaigning and voting for.

Low turnout, probably, and a result something like the following -

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831
    LEAVE - Nick Boles and Richard Tyndall

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Even I might have trouble with the plus bit as being in a CU is a really stupid idea.

But it would be moot anyway. As I have always said a second referendum would be undemocratic and I would not vote in it. If it comes to that then democracy is dead in this country and I would be cheering on any form of action, legal or illegal that formed the backlash against it.
    Violent revolution?
    I have no idea. All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.
    Amost half of us were Remainers three years ago and there are indications that that proportion has increased.
    Certainly the 52% weren't voting for No Deal.
    Why aren't you blaming the ERG for driving you down the path towards illegal alternatives to democracy?
    A collection of opinion polls is not democracy. As much as I dislike the ERG, I don't see what illegal acts they are doing.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

what does that even mean
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

He is just a much better actor than them , though I have to admit he has to be more human than any of those two, you just cannot imagine any of those two looking real at anything.
    Yes, you're undoubtedly right there. He's often acting a part.

Anyway a small but insignificant tick from me, and as I appointed you an honorary Englishman last night you can add a small but insignificant tick too. (Sorry, couldn't resist :))
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

what does that even mean
    It means you vote Separatist and are happy with your pathetic little life in Irn Bru World.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Wow. No in my family only my elder brother was conceived out of wedlock. You really are quite strange with your obsessions. However, I am a rampant homosexual if it makes you feel any better.

And what’s more you don’t know how to use blockquotes!!’

😂
    He is not alone, on the blockquotes bit I hasten to add.
    I know, I was just trying to lighten the tone
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

Only one member state, Ireland, obliged by their constitution, decided on ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 2008 (Ireland), 12 June 2008, 53.2% against, turnout 53.1%

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland, 2 October 2009, 67.1% in favour, turnout 59.0%
    After the first vote by Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Council and the Irish Government released separate documents, referred to as the "Irish Guarantees", that stated the other member countries would not use the possibility in the Treaty to diminish the number of permanent commissioners in favour of a rotating system with fewer commissioners, and not threaten Ireland's military neutrality and rules on abortion.[1][2] With these assurances, the Irish approved the unchanged Lisbon Treaty in a second referendum.

A clear case of vote again until the right option. There's been other's that Farage has quoted but I can't be botered to find them.

Ỳou said there would be another referendum because "that's what's happened every other time a country has tried to leave the EU".

Now, if you'd said another referendum had happened "whenever new EU treaties were rejected by voters" you might have a point. But that's not what you said.
    It's the same principle. It was never going to be easy leaving the EU. Why would they want to encourage others? They gave us "the worst deal in history", which should perhaps of been expected. Thankfully though we live in the country of the Glorious Revolution so our vote will be respected and we'll leave on 31st October.
    It might be a very similar principle, but it's not the same thing. Be accurate, or don't post.
    You trying to reduce server usage Robert?

🤯😆
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    Stumps, with Root still batting.
    Unlikely though it is, England have a slim chance,
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Not so very different to Labour's position before the 1974 elections - reject the Heath terms - renegotiate - hold a Referendum.

If we do get Ref2 under Labour I expect the Leave option to be Norway Plus. If so, it is almost impossible to see it winning. Remainers will mostly prefer Remain and all of those Leavers who think the May Deal is 'not Brexit' are unlikely to think something even less pure is worth campaigning and voting for.

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Even I might have trouble with the plus bit as being in a CU is a really stupid idea.

But it would be moot anyway. As I have always said a second referendum would be undemocratic and I would not vote in it. If it comes to that then democracy is dead in this country and I would be cheering on any form of action, legal or illegal that formed the backlash against it.
    Violent revolution?
    I have no idea. All i know is that when people believe they no longer live in a democracy they look to alternatives. That is the path the Remoaners are driving us down.
    Amost half of us were Remainers three years ago and there are indications that that proportion has increased.
    Certainly the 52% weren't voting for No Deal.
    Why aren't you blaming the ERG for driving you down the path towards illegal alternatives to democracy?
    A collection of opinion polls is not democracy. As much as I dislike the ERG, I don't see what illegal acts they are doing.
    A referendum is not democracy as it is generally understood in the UK either; there is as much distance between the UK version of representative democracy and these grubby little plebiscites as there is between us and the nominal democracies of North Korea and Congo. Churchill detested them, and the three major UK wide ones have been in each case shitty little subterfuges designed purely for party political advantage. So enough of the DMCDIV bollocks already. What we need is a second referendum to overturn the first, cheating on the count if that's what is needed, and the death penalty for anyone who proposes a referendum on anything else ever again. And the police can sort out any resulting peasants revolt (in practice, a few hundred elderly bedwetters with mispunctuated placards at a farage rally in a pub car park near Nottingham).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Nigelb said:

Yep since it is a day 4 pitch tomorrow, not day 5 the odds are better too. I'd go 70-30 Aus-Eng
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Ishmael_Z said:

A referendum is not democracy as it is generally understood in the UK either; there is as much distance between the UK version of representative democracy and these grubby little plebiscites as there is between us and the nominal democracies of North Korea and Congo. Churchill detested them, and the three major UK wide ones have been in each case shitty little subterfuges designed purely for party political advantage. So enough of the DMCDIV bollocks already. What we need is a second referendum to overturn the first, cheating on the count if that's what is needed, and the death penalty for anyone who proposes a referendum on anything else ever again. And the police can sort out any resulting peasants revolt (in practice, a few hundred elderly bedwetters with mispunctuated placards at a farage rally in a pub car park near Nottingham).

We had referenda to determine whether there should be a Scottish Parliament, a Welsh Assembly and a Mayor of London. All were opposed by the Conservatives but, to the Party's credit, and credit where it's due, they have never sought to overturn those verdicts.

The Welsh vote, which was won by 50.3 to 49.7, has been accepted and that was closer than the 23/6/16 vote. The Conservatives could have proposed scrapping the Assembly but they never have. - Monmouthshire voted more than 2:1 against but I don't hear any talk about them wishing to leave Wales and become part of England.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

You trying to reduce server usage Robert?

🤯😆
    Being played Radiohead when you log in to the site would drastically do that.....
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I know people don't want to hear this - and I apologise in advance - but England can win from here.

I'm on at 7.6 and will be laying back at 3 when they reach 240 for 5.

Lay back at 3 taken already!

Wonder if punters are getting carried away a bit now.

Or is Headingly 2019 going to supplant Headingly 1981?
    England will lose by about 80 runs. Be realistic.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We had referenda to determine whether there should be a Scottish Parliament, a Welsh Assembly and a Mayor of London. All were opposed by the Conservatives but, to the Party's credit, and credit where it's due, they have never sought to overturn those verdicts.

The Welsh vote, which was won by 50.3 to 49.7, has been accepted and that was closer than the 23/6/16 vote. The Conservatives could have proposed scrapping the Assembly but they never have. - Monmouthshire voted more than 2:1 against but I don't hear any talk about them wishing to leave Wales and become part of England.
    I wonder if those were re-run what percentage they'd get.

I guess in all cases the extra bureaucracy isn't a good thing. But in all cases also I see some gains. If any region gets its own parliament though I think all regions should. The SNPs double whammy of Scottish domination, and substantial UK parliamentary representation gives them slightly more voice than they merit.

The Tories got a little more from London Mayor than they deserved too. (Khan, oddly, isn't playing the national game)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

REMAIN - 18, 574, 831

(Well, maybe not Boles)
    LOL.

Violent revolution?
    The Brexit supporting media have to find it within themselves to strike a conciliatory tone. The Brexit they campaigned for is clearly not achievable, until the Brexit supporting media stop fanning the flames of resentment and stop projecting the impossible goals of Brexit the better. The problem of Brexit is going to be hard to resolve with the Brexit supporting media pumping out the misleading and unconstructive dogma. Brexit is a fools errand and the idiot who tipped the balance in its favour now has the responsibility to walk away from Brexit and admit its flaws....
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,323

Robert and Mr Glenn-

Treaty of Lisbon

And has democracy ended in Ireland because they had a second referendum on the same thing?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Yep since it is a day 4 pitch tomorrow, not day 5 the odds are better too. I'd go 70-30 Aus-Eng
    Nearer 90/10.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

we heard it last week when it happened you donkey. Keep your finger on the pulse.

Hey Malky, that whistling noise was the point flying over your head.

I knew the score.

It is uncommon to hear a news reporter say the word "thumped" when reporting sports.
This discussion has been closed.