Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Red Letter Day. Jeremy Corbyn’s chances of being next Prime Mi

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

The fact Boris has had to go crawling to Berlin and Paris is pretty humiliating.

Quite funny how the no deal cult are celebrating the humiliation.

I wonder what mark Boris will get in his homework for Ms Merkel and Mr Macron.

I’m guessing an E.

He had to go crawling? There may have been negotiation, but what has he conceded?
    Boris himself said he wouldn’t meet any EU leaders until they had agreed to remove the backstop.

He’s just making himself look even more of a fool than he already is.
    A 9% Tory lead with Yougov and a 42% Tory voteshare with Kantar this week suggests otherwise
    Surely the Tories have lost your vote given you vehemently disagree with their flagship Brexit policy?
    I am fully behind the Brexit policy of trying to remove the backstop from the Withdrawal Agreement and replace it with a technical solution
    For the record, if the EU say, "This could be a solution, but we'll need to work on the details during the transition period," would you support ratifying the WA with the backstop?
    No.

As long as the backstop is legally-binding I oppose it. But I suspect it could be enough for Parliament to ratify it and I could lose my bets in that scenario.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

The fact Boris has had to go crawling to Berlin and Paris is pretty humiliating.

I’m guessing an E.

He had to go crawling? There may have been negotiation, but what has he conceded?
    Boris himself said he wouldn’t meet any EU leaders until they had agreed to remove the backstop.

A 9% Tory lead with Yougov and a 42% Tory voteshare with Kantar this week suggests otherwise
    Surely the Tories have lost your vote given you vehemently disagree with their flagship Brexit policy?
    I am fully behind the Brexit policy of trying to remove the backstop from the Withdrawal Agreement and replace it with a technical solution
    For the record, if the EU say, "This could be a solution, but we'll need to work on the details during the transition period," would you support ratifying the WA with the backstop?
    I always supported the WA but there is only a majority in Parliament for the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop as the Brady amendment showed, so unless a technical solution for the Irish border as Boris proposes replaces the backstop the Withdrawal Agreement will not pass the Commons in its current form having already failed to do so 3 times
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

That is a reasonable position to hold. I am hopeful but sceptical about such a technical solution but we shall see. It's that or the backstop.
    Positive signs from Macron and Merkel this week
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,097
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

That is a reasonable position to hold. I am hopeful but sceptical about such a technical solution but we shall see. It's that or the backstop.
    So deluded.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I think if Johnson had negotiated the precise same deal as May, it'd be through the Commons by now. For all his faults he's clearly a better salesman than May ever was.

Yes, it looks like Boris could sell ice to an eskimo while sadly May could not sell water to a nomad in the desert
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,021
    Could someone please outline the details of the "technical solution" Boris is supposedly proposing?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,099

Scott_P said:

Back before the EU clarified what they meant by the backstop and how unacceptable that was to Britain.

ROFL

Careful. Spin any harder you're going to hurt yourself
    Couldn't find a Tweet to say that?

Things are going exactly as I said they would for the past 12 months. I should rename myself The Oracle :p
    I salute your indefatiguability
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Pulpstar said:

I think if Johnson had negotiated the precise same deal as May, it'd be through the Commons by now. For all his faults he's clearly a better salesman than May ever was.

But, of course, Boris was instrumental in poisoning the MPs' minds against it, so we can never really compare those two in isolation.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,289

HYUFD said:

Just Boris marking his territory and Macron does not look too fussed
    Marking his territory? If he literally pissed in the corner you'd probably say it was a diplomatic triumph.
    Boris could've blamed it on the dog.

https://youtu.be/ANjhZTQQASM
  • Options
    Brexit is still completely abstract in people’s minds. There is no saying what will happen to the polls if it ever happens.

We know the Brexit Party will crucify any deal, backstop or no backstop.

The current polling therefore tells us no useful information about any future election.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Pulpstar said:

I think someone on here commented recently that May couldn't sell fresh water in the Sahara. Cruel but true. Boris may not succeed but at least he is having a proper go.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Could someone please outline the details of the "technical solution" Boris is supposedly proposing?

Stop being so negative. We can do it!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It would appear that the markets rather like whatever Boris is doing. Sterling up more than 1% today, back to over E1.10 again.

Shares in the toilet though
  • Options

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

And they have agreed to remove the backstop, if a replacement is found. Mission accomplished. This is progress
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, for a start, he wouldn't have had BJohnson whipping up opposition to it.
  • Options

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

And they have agreed to remove the backstop, if a replacement is found. Mission accomplished. This is progress
    That has always been the position.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    dixiedean said:

Fairy dust, magic and grounded unicorn horn..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I think someone on here commented recently that May couldn't sell fresh water in the Sahara. Cruel but true. Boris may not succeed but at least he is having a proper go.
    What has he actually done?
  • Options

DavidL said:

It would appear that the markets rather like whatever Boris is doing. Sterling up more than 1% today, back to over E1.10 again.

What rate was it when he took over? How is it doing against the dollar? Or even what rate was it before his signature policy of Brexit became likely???

Of course there will be days when it moves in opposite directions to the trend.
    It's up 1.3c against the dollar today. It's quite a big move and I think it must be politically driven since there has been very little of substance economically other than some pretty poor borrowing figures.
  • Options

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

They have been saying that for 3 years
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    dixiedean said:

They don't exist. What's more, even if they did exist, it'd need a year minimum of extensions to agree them - no chance.

This whole process is a charade, both from Johnson and Macron/Merkel.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

Aren't they the same as the EU proposed for the Irish Sea border?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

No they haven't. They were saying that no legally-binding changes could be made to the withdrawal agreement and the only changes they'd countenance was to the PD.

Now they're saying something different. Something has changed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

What has he actually done?
    Other than look positive, god knows.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

So deluded.
    I have gone through a journey with HYUFD's posts. Originally I wondered how anyone could be so infatuated with any political leader, let alone one so monumentally unsuited to any leadership, then I started to find them insulting to the intelligence of other PB followers, then I started to find it funny, and now I just feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,913
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

In which case Boris is trying to sell plots of land on the moon to the Dragons of Dragon's Den. He's giving it a good spin, but everyone knows he has nothing of value on offer.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    dixiedean said:

They are written on the back of a fag packet, and therefore unavailable.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

dixiedean said:

They don't exist. What's more, even if they did exist, it'd need a year minimum of extensions to agree them - no chance.

This whole process is a charade, both from Johnson and Macron/Merkel.

Drop the backstop, agree a transition and outline of solution with details to be confirmed during transition. Problem solved.

Best case, this is all resolved during transition.

Worst case, back to no deal scenario at end of transition rather than in under 10 weeks time.

Win/win.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

No they haven't. They were saying that no legally-binding changes could be made to the withdrawal agreement and the only changes they'd countenance was to the PD.

Merkel’s position is to change the PD to have workable and agreed plans in place immediately so that the backstop is no longer ever needed.

They haven’t said anything about removing it from the WA.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Could you provide a quotation as an example of someone saying something different over the last 48 hours? I'm genuinely interested in what you're picking up here? (Obviously this has to be something from one of the major players on the EU side - not spin from the Borisgraph or UK government flunkies.)
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

In which case Boris is trying to sell plots of land on the moon to the Dragons of Dragon's Den. He's giving it a good spin, but everyone knows he has nothing of value on offer.
    Depends on how much the other side also doesn't want no deal. Both sides want to find a way here. Its the solution that's tricky. How do you have unsupervised and untrammeled access to the SM without regulatory alignment? I really don't know. Maybe, given that we start off with perfect alignment undertakings that any changes will be discussed with the option of ending SM/EU access if they are unacceptable?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    Off-topic:

Our wild and meandering drive around the country has brought us to Durham, a place neither of us have been before. It seems quite a beautiful place, and we're about to go down to have a meal to celebrate ten happy years of marriage.

So, in a good mood and spirit, I hope everyone has a great bank holiday weekend! Enjoy yourselves, wherever you find yourselves in this beautiful country and world of ours.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Our wild and meandering drive around the country has brought us to Durham, a place neither of us have been before. It seems quite a beautiful place, and we're about to go down to have a meal to celebrate ten happy years of marriage.

So, in a good mood and spirit, I hope everyone has a great bank holiday weekend! Enjoy yourselves, wherever you find yourselves in this beautiful country and world of ours.

There are many beautiful places up here in the North East, I recommend you stay longer. ;)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Could you provide a quotation as an example of someone saying something different over the last 48 hours? I'm genuinely interested in what you're picking up here? (Obviously this has to be something from one of the major players on the EU side - not spin from the Borisgraph or UK government flunkies.)
    Is the BBC the Borisgraph?

But the expectation that he'd refuse point-blank to renegotiate the Brexit deal didn't materialise.

Instead, he simply warned that any withdrawal agreement that the two sides might reach in the next month wouldn't be very different from the existing one

Not very different != not different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49427007
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Drop the backstop, agree a transition …..

They're not going to drop the backstop without a fully-detailed and agreed alternative.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Drop the backstop, agree a transition …..

They're not going to drop the backstop without a fully-detailed and agreed alternative.
    We'll see ...

A face-saving backstopless agreement is better than a backstopless no deal.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

But the expectation that he'd refuse point-blank to renegotiate the Brexit deal didn't materialise.

Instead, he simply warned that any withdrawal agreement that the two sides might reach in the next month wouldn't be very different from the existing one

Or could equal the same but with weasel words added to save Boris's face.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Off-topic:

Durham cathedral is one of the finest buildings in the country. It would comfortably be in my top ten.
  • Options
    Lot of circular argument here. Backstop will go if there is an acceptable alternative. There is, as yet, no alternative, let alone an acceptable one.
    What, exactly has changed?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

We'll see. I think its Varadkar's face that needs saving, but either way after a dire wasted year nearly of "nothing has changed" now things are changing.

This is why Boris was the right man to be PM. Shame it didn't happen sooner.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    RobD said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

No, the Irish Sea Border wouldn't require a backstop, so that problem vanishes. Now all Boris needs to do is convince the very reasonable DUP Mps who are providing his tiny majority.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

We'll see. I think its Varadkar's face that needs saving, but either way after a dire wasted year nearly of "nothing has changed" now things are changing.

Like 2016. Blame Gove.....
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Delusional
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Delusional
    I wonder if any Remainer would be happy with progress towards Brexit? :p
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Can we have an exact quote please?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Nothing has changed, and EU leaders made exactly the same kind of encouraging noises when May was there. Were you hibernating while this was going on?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8350657/brexit-eu-angela-merkel-theresa-may-pm/

ANGELA Merkel today boosted Theresa May's chances of a new Brexit deal - insisting the hated Irish backstop CAN be replaced.

The German leader defied sneering Brussels Eurocrats as she called on the EU to take Mrs May's demands seriously.
  • Options

RobD said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

No, the Irish Sea Border wouldn't require a backstop, so that problem vanishes. Now all Boris needs to do is convince the very reasonable DUP Mps who are providing his tiny majority.
    Weren't the proposing similar technological solutions to the Irish Sea border?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Lot of circular argument here. Backstop will go if there is an acceptable alternative. There is, as yet, no alternative, let alone an acceptable one.

An acceptable alternative can only come about via negotiations with the EU and Ireland especially. They were refusing to engage, therefore one couldn't come about.

Now they've agreed to engage. That's a change.

For as long as nobody actually wants no deal a face-saving change that permits a transition and the details to be finessed during transition without the threat of an immediate no deal, a risk to peace or the backstop existing works for everyone.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, a transition and talking in the future is good enough for now, even if it isn't as perfect for the EU as the backstop was.

A deal will be reached. Because nobody actually wants no deal.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083

Off-topic:

Durham cathedral is one of the finest buildings in the country. It would comfortably be in my top ten.
    We totally agree. In fact, this afternoon we climbed up the tower. Definitely one of the better cathedrals.

One of the great things about our random holidays is we get to see places we've never been before, and ordinarily wouldn't get to go to.
  • Options
    OT, or maybe on it, but where and when did "sneering" become the word of choice for any statement I don't agree with?
    It is curious indeed.
  • Options

Like 2016. Blame Gove.....
    I opposed May in 2016.

Would have preferred Gove then, but MPs thought otherwise. MPs screwed up, a sign of things to come.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Not very different = better than May achieved
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,680
    edited August 2019
    I'm obviously being very thick here, but this is my understanding:

There was going to be a backstop until we worked out how we could get rid of it.

Boris wants the backstop removed, or it is no deal on 31/10. The EU has agreed, if we can work out how we get rid of it in the next 30 days, then that is ok.

It seems to me that it is the same problem we had before except we only have 30 days now and not approx 70 days.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indeed. Angry Remainers here are in denial today. Sensible ones are hedging their bets, even Topping referred to himself earlier today as being "hopeful but skeptical" about replacing the backstop with a technical solution, something previously described as impossible. But the angry ones are insisting nothing has changed and howling against the moon. They want failure, because they want Brexit to fail. They're going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    kjh said:

There was going to be a backstop until we worked out how we could get rid of it.

Boris wants the backstop removed, or it is no deal on 31/10. The EU has agreed, if we can work out how we get rid of it in the next 30 days, then that is ok.

It seems to me that it is the same problem we had before except we only have 30 days now and not approx 79 days.

What am I missing?

The EU being willing to engage.

An agreement can only be reached if both sides are talking. They were refusing to talk about replacements, that's no longer the case. That is what you are missing.
  • Options

RobD said:

Indeed. Angry Remainers here are in denial today. Sensible ones are hedging their bets, even Topping referred to himself earlier today as being "hopeful but skeptical" about replacing the backstop with a technical solution, something previously described as impossible. But the angry ones are insisting nothing has changed and howling against the moon. They want failure, because they want Brexit to fail. They're going to be disappointed.
    Vacuous nonsense.
  • Options

RobD said:

Vacuous nonsense.
    Case in point. Keep howling.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

An acceptable alternative can only come about via negotiations with the EU and Ireland especially. They were refusing to engage, therefore one couldn't come about.

For as long as nobody actually wants no deal a face-saving change that permits a transition and the details to be finessed during transition without the threat of an immediate no deal, a risk to peace or the backstop existing works for everyone.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, a transition and talking in the future is good enough for now, even if it isn't as perfect for the EU as the backstop was.

I thought Boris was refusing to talk unless the backstop was removed? There has been no solution proposed. None. Over 3 years. You can't negotiate a non-proposal.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Jessop.
  • Options
    Just goes to show how easy it is to get a photo at an apparently embarrassing moment, that can be taken completely out of context.
  • Options
    kjh said:

It seems to me that it is the same problem we had before except we only have 30 days now and not approx 70 days.

What am I missing?

Me too. That is exactly what I am trying to ascertain.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

Sounds like another extension to me. This may not be a bad ploy. Get an indefinite A50 extension but re-brand it the 'long-term transition and re-negotiation phase' or some such. We won't then need to worry about the backstop because we'll still be in the EU. Could be a goer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I thought Boris was refusing to talk unless the backstop was removed? There has been no solution proposed. None. Over 3 years. You can't negotiate a non-proposal.
    That's a stupid position since you can't remove it without talking about it!
  • Options

kjh said:

It seems to me that it is the same problem we had before except we only have 30 days now and not approx 79 days.

What am I missing?

An agreement can only be reached if both sides are talking. They were refusing to talk about replacements, that's no longer the case. That is what you are missing.
    But how have they engaged differently? They have said nothing new. If Boris or May could have come up with a solution to the backstop months ago it would have all been over then. That has always been on the table.
  • Options

Off-topic:

We totally agree. In fact, this afternoon we climbed up the tower. Definitely one of the better cathedrals.

One of the great things about our random holidays is we get to see places we've never been before, and ordinarily wouldn't get to go to.
    You could become a twitcher - that would take you to (literally) every corner of Britain.

Durham is indeed a wonderful place. Spent three years there.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The EU were refusing to talk about replacing the backstop.

So Boris said he wouldn't talk until they were willing to drop the backstop.

Now they've met and said they're willing to drop the backstop if we can agree an alternative. That's different.

There are lots of proposals that have been made, but it can't be a firm proposal until the two sides talk. The three years are meaningless since May wasted those and Eurofudge always comes about at the last minute.

The solution is obvious: Drop the backstop, agree a transition, start talking about the future in the transition, deal with the future then. Now we just need a face-saving way for the EU to agree to that. We have 30 days to save face for them.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

What am I missing?

But how have they engaged differently? They have said nothing new. If Boris or May could have come up with a solution to the backstop months ago it would have all been over then. That has always been on the table.
    No it wasn't on the table. They were refusing to engage in finding replacements, it takes two to tango. Only when they're willing to compromise is a replacement possible.

You don't understand the concept of compromise do you? It isn't possible with just one party, that is called surrender. Both parties need to engage to have a compromise - the door was opened to that now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That's a stupid position since you can't remove it without talking about it!
    But you can't talk about it without an alternative...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Now they've met and said they're willing to drop the backstop if we can agree an alternative. That's different.

There are lots of proposals that have been made, but it can't be a firm proposal until the two sides talk. The three years are meaningless since May wasted those and Eurofudge always comes about at the last minute.

The solution is obvious: Drop the backstop, agree a transition, start talking about the future in the transition, deal with the future then. Now we just need a face-saving way for the EU to agree to that. We have 30 days to save face for them.
    What, exactly, are these proposals which have been made?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

Just goes to show how easy it is to get a photo at an apparently embarrassing moment, that can be taken completely out of context.
    Ed Miliband sympathises, I'm sure. But the clickbait engines must be fuelled...
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

What am I missing?

No it wasn't on the table. They were refusing to engage in finding replacements, it takes two to tango. Only when they're willing to compromise is a replacement possible.

You don't understand the concept of compromise do you? It isn't possible with just one party, that is called surrender. Both parties need to engage to have a compromise - the door was opened to that now.
    How is the current position different to what Merkel said back in February?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Some pointed out at the time that Macron was smiling which made it clear there was more to the photo than met the idea.
  • Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Sounds like another extension to me. This may not be a bad ploy. Get an indefinite A50 extension but re-brand it the 'long-term transition and re-negotiation phase' or some such. We won't then need to worry about the backstop because we'll still be in the EU. Could be a goer.
    Not for Boris. The postman at the 1922 will be busy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,489
    RobD said:

He’s a clever guy, that Macron.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Proposals haven't been made yet, that is for the upcoming talks now they've agreed to them.

You have your sequencing backwards for some reason. You engage in talks, then you come up with proposals that both sides can agree to. How do you think otherwise is possible?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Proposals haven't been made yet, that is for the upcoming talks now they've agreed to them.

You have your sequencing backwards for some reason. You engage in talks, then you come up with proposals that both sides can agree to. How do you think otherwise is possible?
    They are just following the EU dogma. Deciding the nature of the border before discussing the future relationship. :p
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well we’ve got 30 days to come up with something we’ve been unable to do in 3 years.

I’m not hopeful.
  • Options
    Graham Brady on PM now. Maybe he can enlighten me.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

algarkirk said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Damn. I meant to include that in my piece last night and I forgot.
    Interesting but irrelevant. The news agenda is written on water by a rapidly moving finger. It's like the 31st October promise. If Boris gets some sort of agreement by the end of that month but it is needing more time (highly likely) the broken promise is quickly forgotten.

That can’t be true. @HYUFD has assured me we’re leaving on the 31st October regardless.
    Did he also assure us that we were leaving in March ?
    As May told us hundreds of times we were.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

They are just following the EU dogma. Deciding the nature of the border before discussing the future relationship. :p
    Yes. Darn us collaborators.
  • Options
    Boris: How much is that car?
    EU: £1000
    Boris: I'll give you a fiver
    EU: No

Long pause

Boris: I want to buy the car for £5
    EU: If you can find another £995 you can buy the car?

Boris fans: Progress, they are negotiating.

Well unless you are talking nothing can be gained, so from that point of view it is positive, but it is the only positive. Boris still has the same problem he had originally in that he has to find £995 or get them to concede something that they appear to have no intention of conceding, because the consequences to them of conceding are too high.

It is up to Boris to find £995 or a solution to the backstop.

There are 2 possibilities: He manages it or the EU fold. Neither seem plausible.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

algarkirk said:

RobD said:

I’m guessing an E.

Damn. I meant to include that in my piece last night and I forgot.
    Interesting but irrelevant. The news agenda is written on water by a rapidly moving finger. It's like the 31st October promise. If Boris gets some sort of agreement by the end of that month but it is needing more time (highly likely) the broken promise is quickly forgotten.

That can’t be true. @HYUFD has assured me we’re leaving on the 31st October regardless.
    Did he also assure us that we were leaving in March ?
    As May told us hundreds of times we were.
    And what happened when May extended?

The Tories collapsed to 3rd in the polls behind Labour and the Brexit Party, in the local elections in May they lost over 1000 seats and in the European Parliament elections got just 9% of the vote, the lowest Tory voteshare in history in a national election
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kjh said:

What am I missing?

Me too. That is exactly what I am trying to ascertain.
    There's a fair bit of slipperiness from the Borisites here. 1) The backstop as an enacted part of the agreement could always be removed once a feasible alternative was discovered - that was the point of it after all, and is what our EU friends have been restating over the last 48 hours. 2) Boris, on the other hand, said he wanted the obligation to impose the backstop removed from the WA. Boris's spinners are now conflating the two - saying that the truism of 1 somehow implies the achievement of 2. They're both about 'removing the backstop' after all, so why don't they amount to the same thing?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Graham Brady on PM now. Maybe he can enlighten me.

Nope. He seems to be saying we need "alternative arrangements." Details not forthcoming. Falls back on the EU will fold.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

RobD said:

Vacuous nonsense.
    If there was a technical solution why was it not brought forward in last 3 years. It has been wittered on about many times but is just vapourware. What can possibly make you think anything has changed other than you are desperate to believe in it.
    PS: I was referring to Phillip there , not your goodself Gallowgate
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,625
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it looks like Boris could sell ice to an eskimo while sadly May could not sell water to a nomad in the desert
    Salesmanship counts. Our society runs on people buying stuff they don't want with money they haven't got. Boris is relying on getting the WA through the HoC with a translucent fig leaf. He's a salesman.

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    That's nothing. President Macron listened and responded to Boris Johnson talking gibberish about the backstop while keeping a straight face. So impressive.
  • Options
    When May was leader the Brexit Party were polling 20 to 25% and the Tories were third, now the Brexit Party are polling only 10 to 15% and the Tories are polling 30%+.

The reason is Boris will now deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal, whereas May would only deliver Brexit with a Deal or else extend.

The No Deal, anti immigration diehards will vote Brexit Party regardless but Boris is now in a position to win a Tory majority anyway whereas May was not
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. D, in 69 AD a critical and hard fought battle between the armies of Vitellius and Vespasian was won by the latter because the eastern armies of Vespasian turned to salute the sun, as was their custom, and the forces of Vitellius thought they were saluting reinforcements.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Man who grew up in and worked in Brussels understands French. Impressive.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Off-topic:

Bill Bryson wrote that, on stepping into it, "I unhesitatingly gave Durham Cathedral my vote for the best cathedral on planet Earth", and he's right.
This discussion has been closed.