Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first YouGov for a fortnight sees CON/LAB/LD holding prett

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    HYUFD said:
    Presumably vetted by Domski as being ideologically sound.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2019
    MaxPB said:

This is worse news than the shit show that is Brexit.

Fucking hell, sort it out Disney/Sony

Spider-Man reportedly out of MCU after Disney, Sony fail to reach deal.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/20/20825600/spider-man-mcu-sony-disney

Disney asked for 50% revshare and for non Spider-Man marvel characters to be included. It was only ever going to end one way. I expect Disney will come back with a much more realistic demand and this gets sorted before the next Spider-Man movie goes into production.
    Spider-Man Far From Home up to $1.1bn and counting. The movie’s continuation of the MCU story arc and its use of Marvel proprietary characters is likely to have added getting on for half a billion of incremental revenue by the time it’s done (Amazing Spider-Man, Venom in the $700-800m range).

Seems only fair Disney want to renegotiate up from their paltry 5% share under the current deal. Don’t worry gang, there’s only a one in a million chance of no deal!
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    dixiedean said:

Daily Mail:

"The UK has 'the right person in charge': Donald Trump praises Boris Johnson as 'far superior' after speaking to the newly installed prime minister FOUR times"

Am sure "vote Boris get Trump" is being lined up. Or I would be, if I thought Labour high command could piss in a straight line...
    https://twitter.com/LiverpoolLabour/status/1163507517160398848

Boris = Trump has been pushed in various ways already.
  • Options
    '24hrs to Save the NHS' and variations thereof having been the hysterical rallying calls of the left for as long as I can remember in politics.

All but the hard of thinking have long since learned it is nothing but fake news.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,905
    @Charles, you may recall I remarked to you previously about the inadequacy of reasonableness. Specifically the battleplans of many of the Leavers seemed to proceed along the lines of "we will do this, then they will do that because that's reasonable"[1], without giving any thought to how to persuade other people to do the reasonable thing, or even whether the other people might consider it reasonable in the first place. To continue this theme for the moment, although I realise we are on opposing sides on this, may I ask you politely to consider that if the UK PM is seriously considering asking another country to stop obeying its own rules for a period to help the UK out, for no payment nor consideration nor reason, then we might perhaps have bigger problems than we thought... :(

[1] I criticised Hannan frequently for this, although no doubt there were others less prominent with similar sins
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Electoral Calculus gives Boris a Tory majority of 40 on the new Yougov poll.

Tories 345 (biggest Tory seat total since Thatcher in 1987), Labour 193 (lowest Labour seat total since 1935 and lowest Labour voteshare since 1918), LDs 53 (highest LD seat total since 2010).

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=30&LAB=21+&LIB=20+&Brexit=14+&Green=8&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

Slightly pissed, obviously anxious, and borderline ill by the evidence of ITV News.

Time to step down.
    Yes his forced smirk is quite a giveaway. He knows he is out of his depth, and his bluffing bluster won't work on his European tour over the next few days. Merkel and Macron can see right through that bullshit.
    Remainers are still in denial I see.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Further question:

However many aircraft do we have for our aircraft carrier?
    18 as of this month.
    Can they actually fly from the aircraft carrier yet?
    I dare say things have moved on, but last I heard the problem was that they can fly from the carriers but the pilots have to choose whether to carry enough fuel to get anywhere useful or weapons to use when they get there, but can’t carry both.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited August 2019
    Fun this morning:

What is Gers and how is it calculated?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45271076

On the whole, the GERS figures are not likely to change hugely this year.

Scotland will have a larger estimated net fiscal deficit than the UK, although both figures are likely to improve compared to last year.

GERS is likely to show that revenues raised in Scotland are less than the UK average (to the tune of around £500-600 per head): but that spending per head in Scotland is significantly above the UK average (probably around £1,600 per head).

https://fraserofallander.org/scottish-economy/gers/back-to-school-for-gers-2019/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    We can safely file this under things that aren't going to happen.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    RobD said:

It isn't reasonable for Ireland to have follow new or changed UK laws. But perhaps there is a solution where both the UK and the EU accepts Ireland as an island doesn't bring in any new regulation to diverge from the status quo (other than jointly).
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    viewcode said:

@Charles, you may recall I remarked to you previously about the inadequacy of reasonableness. Specifically the battleplans of many of the Leavers seemed to proceed along the lines of "we will do this, then they will do that because that's reasonable"[1], without giving any thought to how to persuade other people to do the reasonable thing, or even whether the other people might consider it reasonable in the first place. To continue this theme for the moment, although I realise we are on opposing sides on this, may I ask you politely to consider that if the UK PM is seriously considering asking another country to stop obeying its own rules for a period to help the UK out, for no payment nor consideration nor reason, then we might perhaps have bigger problems than we thought... :(

[1] I criticised Hannan frequently for this, although no doubt there were others less prominent with similar sins
    This is both ways and part of the reason the WA fell through. The EU didn't care about how reasonable the backstop seemed to parliament.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Further question:

18 as of this month.
    Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBh1l-wsfqo
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Further question:

18 as of this month.
    Yes

Rolling landings aren't that groundbreaking - the Harriers used to do similarly IIRC.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Japanese bomb?

TOKYO, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Japan will upgrade its estimate of North Korea's nuclear weapons capability in an upcoming annual defense report, saying it seems Pyongyang has already achieved the miniaturization of warheads, the Yomiuri newspaper said in an unsourced report on Wednesday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-7377577/Japanese-report-say-N-Korea-miniaturized-nuclear-warheads--newspaper.html
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Gabs2 said:

viewcode said:

This is both ways and part of the reason the WA fell through. The EU didn't care about how reasonable the backstop seemed to parliament.
    That’s the backstop as proposed by the UK, right?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Further question:

18 as of this month.
    Yes

Rolling landings aren't that groundbreaking - the Harriers used to do similarly IIRC.
    I didn't say they were groundbreaking. I said they were achieved on the carrier.

(Incidentally, did the Harriers actually do that IRL? I don't recall it from footage of the time)
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

viewcode said:

Neither did the UK PM.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    viewcode said:

(Incidentally, did the Harriers actually do that IRL? I don't recall it from footage of the time)

I think they were developed using Harriers, a decade+ ago, with the F35 in mind. Gave us some idea of what performance was possible on the new carriers.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Further question:

18 as of this month.
    Yes

We never (intentionally) did SRVL in the Sea Harrier. The carriers were too small and the vertical landing was difficult enough.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

'24hrs to Save the NHS' and variations thereof having been the hysterical rallying calls of the left for as long as I can remember in politics.

All but the hard of thinking have long since learned it is nothing but fake news.

Millions upon millions believe it with a passion.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Gabs2 said:

RobD said:

It isn't reasonable for Ireland to have follow new or changed UK laws. But perhaps there is a solution where both the UK and the EU accepts Ireland as an island doesn't bring in any new regulation to diverge from the status quo (other than jointly).
    Politically unviable as it looks like Ireland bending to accommodate the UK.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

viewcode said:

I think they were developed using Harriers, a decade+ ago, with the F35 in mind. Gave us some idea of what performance was possible on the new carriers.
    Thank you
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Good grief. I've been getting up to date on the Italian polls and projections, Salvini led ""centre right"" grouping, comprising Lega, the corpse of Forza Italia and hardcore FdI looking at a majority nearing 200 on around 50% of the vote. I imagined they would have eased a little since the Euros.

Salvini and Boris win in the autumn then join Trump as 3/7 of the G7 is led by the populist right, in Canada too touch and go whether Trudeau can hold back the conservatives there as well in November
    Your 1930s self was probably thinking on similar lines over Franco, il Duce and the Fuhrer.
    No, Churchill all the way and whatever you think of Boris or even Trump they are not Hitler and Mussolini (and both are big Churchill fans), Salvini may be closer to the latter but he will probably need Berlusconi for a majority who is more in the Boris and Trump mode

Too soon to say with Boris though I agree he's not an inherently dictatorial type, just a typical convictionless politician riding the populist wave. Trump is not ideologically coherent enough to be a fascist but is certainly in the same mould as your bog standard tinpot dictator. He is simply held back because of the US constitution. If Trump could control the USA like Putin does in Russia, he certainly would. The optimist in me says that Boris would not.
    Trump reminds me a lot more of post colonial African dictatiors than mid-20th C Eurooean ones.
    A cross between Idi Amin and Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited August 2019
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/20/eu-citizens-uk-demand-clarification-immigraiton-status-no-deal-brexit

They don’t know what they’re doing part 134

Making it easy by releasing an app. Only available on Android. JHC.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,996
    Good morning, everyone.

Little bit surprised the Conservatives have such a relative lead, although things can change very quickly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Andrew said:

viewcode said:

Indeed. It's a newish technique developed for the F35 using Harriers:

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/what-is-shipborne-rolling-vertical-landing-and-why-is-it-a-good-idea/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipborne_rolling_vertical_landing#Harrier

As an aside, I was at Portsmouth Dockyard the other week (seeing the Mary Rose and Warrior) and one of the new carriers was in - I assume it was Prince of Wales. I obviously couldn't get near it, but it looks absolutely humongous. Truly breathtaking in scale.

And yet it's *small* compared to the US carriers ...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited August 2019
    Interesting that he's finally put into words what's obviously been the unspoken goal of the brexit people all along. The EU won't agree to putting the border between Ireland and the EU but at least the conversation will make sense. Up until now it's been kind of:

UK: We want to make our laws, protected by strong borders!
    EU: A border between NI and EU?
    UK: No!
    EU: Good, that has GFA issues, so between NI and GB
    EU: Where then?
    UK: ...
    UK: You know, an alternative arrangement to that
  • Options
    alex. said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/20/eu-citizens-uk-demand-clarification-immigraiton-status-no-deal-brexit

They don’t know what they’re doing part 134

Making it easy by releasing an app. Only available on Android. JHC.

Only available on Android as Apple are cr@p. It'll become available later when Apple become slightly less evil and actually let developers use the relevant gubbins. ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Scott_P said:
    I don't think it's helpful to rule things out in advance of a meeting. It's quite likely he'll bring nothing new, or even coherent, but you never know.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Interesting that he's finally put into words what's obviously been the unspoken goal of the brexit people all along. The EU won't agree to putting the border between Ireland and the EU but at least the conversation will make sense. Up until now it's been kind of:

UK: We want to make our laws, protected by strong borders!
    EU: A border between NI and EU?
    EU: Good, that has GFA issues, so between NI and GB
    EU: Where then?
    UK: ...
    UK: You know, an alternative arrangement to that
    I think some Brexit fans genuinely think they are doing Eire a favour, and think they should jump at the chance. Gives them a measure of protection against the inevitable EU implosion and all that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Streeter said:

Gabs2 said:

viewcode said:

As proposed by Remainers.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Streeter said:

Gabs2 said:

viewcode said:

As proposed by the UK Government.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I don't think it's helpful to rule things out in advance of a meeting. It's quite likely he'll bring nothing new, or even coherent, but you never know.
    The Germans and the French saying they won't budge will have been factored into the Johnson/Cummings wargaming of our Brexit. And the general election to come. It's tailor-made for Boris to play Henry V to the voters.

And the voters will give his performance solid 4-star ratings. "You tell 'em, Boris!"
  • Options

Streeter said:

Gabs2 said:

viewcode said:

As proposed by the UK Government.
    There's a reason the head of the UK Govt. changed this year.

Because the back-stop was proposed by Remainers.
  • Options
    Mr. Song, it was proposed by May but failed to pass the Commons thrice.

Suppose Johnson comes out in support of the withdrawal agreement as it stands. Would that pass the Commons? Seems highly unlikely.

What are the EU expecting to happen that will see the (or a) withdrawal agreement get Parliament's approval?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    I think the new Bond film title is unimaginative and cliched.

I hope that doesn’t apply to the film too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    The most (possibly only) noteworthy thing about this poll is that it suggests Bozo’s demolition of the BXP vote has reached its limit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Scott_P said:
    The Germans and the French saying they won't budge will have been factored into the Johnson/Cummings wargaming of our Brexit. And the general election to come. It's tailor-made for Boris to play Henry V to the voters.

And the voters will give his performance solid 4-star ratings. "You tell 'em, Boris!"
    Before or after rationing comes in?

(Only joking; don't THINK it'll come to that!)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    Trump really is nothing more than a school bully.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862

Scott_P said:

Can Falstaff play Henry V?
  • Options

Suppose Johnson comes out in support of the withdrawal agreement as it stands. Would that pass the Commons? Seems highly unlikely.

What are the EU expecting to happen that will see the (or a) withdrawal agreement get Parliament's approval?

Carry on whistling to keep up your spirits.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Can Falstaff play Henry V?
    How ill white hairs become a fool and jester.....
  • Options

It is a very troubled production, I'm hearing.
  • Options
    Mr. Streeter, if you have nothing to say, why pretend to engage?

It's not unlike the EU claiming they're ready to talk, wanting to hear Johnson's proposals, yet also saying nothing can be renegotiated.

The withdrawal agreement has failed to pass the Commons three times. Any deal has to get MPs' approval. How does that come about?
  • Options

stodge said:

that's still a 13% swing from Conservative to Lib Dem which will be higher in the LD target seats.

Not necessarily higher in LD target seats.

The swing from Con to LD is driven by:
    1. Labour defections to the LDs.
    2. Conservative defections to the Brexit Party.

That swing will be lower in LD target seats where in many cases the Labour vote has already been squeezed and there is little remaining Lab vote left. So, for example, in Cheltenham Labour polled 9.4% at the last GE and there is not much left to squeeze - and a 20% fall in the Labour vote share implied by UNS is mathematically impossible and would be more like 5% on a proportional model.

The idea that Conservatives would be as prepared to risk deserting to the Brexit Party in perceived Con-LD marginal seats is also I think a highly questionable assumption.
    That goes again much of the evidence from local and Euro elections.

You also overlook the not insignificant move from Tory remainer to LibDem, which is a significant shift that helped to win Brecon, and is clearly reflected here on PB.

The LibDem resurgence is likely to be strongest in its areas of former strength both because those were the areas where the greatest vote share was lost in 2015/17 and because many of those areas lean toward remain.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760
    Bingo!

This is the real reason why Ireland won't concede, ever, on the backstop. Yes it can follow the UK by diverging from the EU in step. But it goes against its economic interest to do so, and more importantly, against their idea of who they are. It doesn't see why it automatically should be making the concession rather than the UK whose project this is, and which is hostile to Ireland anyway. It thinks, thanks to the backing of the EU, it can face the UK down on this issue.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Heavy lies the crown.

Edit: Apparently a misquote like the first rule of politics being to count but the updated versions are better than the originals, we should just go with it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Well, that would be good, but also rather a dramatic break with tradition.
  • Options

Mr. Streeter, if you have nothing to say, why pretend to engage?

It's not unlike the EU claiming they're ready to talk, wanting to hear Johnson's proposals, yet also saying nothing can be renegotiated.

The withdrawal agreement has failed to pass the Commons three times. Any deal has to get MPs' approval. How does that come about?

A and B are in a negotiation.

There is a sticking point.

A proposes a solution which B reluctantly agrees to.

Months later, A changes its mind.

Who now has the prime responsibility to find a different solution?

Clue: it’s not B.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Well Boris did vote for the WA last time it was voted on.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    FF43 said:

Bingo!

This is the real reason why Ireland won't concede, ever, on the backstop. Yes it can follow the UK by diverging from the EU in step. But it goes against its economic interest to do so, and more importantly, against their idea of who they are. It doesn't see why it automatically should be making the concession rather than the UK whose project this is, and which is hostile to Ireland anyway. It thinks, thanks to the backing of the EU, it can face the UK down on this issue.
    This proposal is frankly bizarre, and offensive to the Irish. I am not sure what Johnson thinks it might achieve apart from hastening No Deal and securing long lasting Irish enmity in the bargain.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Leave magic solution to the backstop is to annex Ireland?
  • Options

So it's identical to Brexit, then. ;)

It should become: "No time to Breexit."

Along with "Brexit another day",
    "You only Brexit Twice",
    "Brexit is forever",
    "Live and let's Brexit",
    "On Her Majesty's Secret Brexit",
    "The EU who loved us",
    "Never say Brexit again",
    "A View to a Brexit",
    "Brexit another day",
    "Quantum of Brexit"

(I really couldn't get 'Octopussy' in there without saying rude things about Merkel or May ...)
  • Options
    Bingo!

--------

I should add. Ireland temporarily aligning with the UK and partially derogating from the Single Market is a seriously discussed unilateral move, despite the responses to the suggestion in the Twitter thread.

Ireland needs that soft border. (Northern Ireland needs it many times more but nobody in HMG cares about THEM). But the backstop will be the number 1 EU requirement for the mini-est of deals with the UK. The backstop will be on unless the UK never wants to have anything to do, ever, with the rest of Europe.

• Options
    Mr. Streeter, A isn't there any more. Theresa May isn't PM. And the 'agreed' solution failed to pass the Commons which is a necessary step (ironically due to pro-EU MPs). It's failed three times now.

If an agreement between two of four (I believe there's also a requirement for the European Parliament to acquiesce) parties cannot pass the third, it's not an agreement at all. It's a failed hope.

I can sympathise with the EU. It was May's idea, and she unwittingly didn't consider whether it would pass the Commons (or perhaps she did and underestimated how partisan Labour MPs would be or how unenthusiastic the most anti-EU MPs in her own party would be). That does not explain or excuse their currently disingenuous position. Claiming to be open to talks whilst refusing to renegotiate is both moronic and oxymoronic.
  • Options

The whole franchise is a little over 4 decades past its sell by date. Its like continuing to make Carry On movies.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Foxy said:

The whole franchise is a little over 4 decades past its sell by date. Its like continuing to make Carry On movies.

Carry on Brexit is a classic of the genre...
  • Options

FF43 said:

Bingo!

This proposal is frankly bizarre, and offensive to the Irish. I am not sure what Johnson thinks it might achieve apart from hastening No Deal and securing long lasting Irish enmity in the bargain.
    The proposal may be bizarre and certainly offensive to Ireland. But Ireland has understood the implications all along. Hence its insistence on the Backstop.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,578
    edited August 2019

FF43 said:

Bingo!

Every configuration of the problem is bizarre and offensive to someone. The Commons finds the backstop bizarre and offensive (though I don't). Boris has to find something which the Commons will accept. Such voting evidence as there is shows that TMs deal without the backstop is the only current candidate. The ERG extremists will never be satisfied, nor will the DUP. Moderate Labour MPs are the key to a solution. No Deal is bizarre and offensive to even more people than a tweaked TM deal.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    The UK and Gibraltar governments might like to know that the Swedish foreign minister, Margot Wallström, is currently live on breakfast tv driving a coach and horses through their version of the Strait of Hormuz oil tanker incident. The tanker was UK-flagged, but Sweden-owned.

Sweden has been heavily interfering in Gibraltar’s business.
  • Options

Mr. Streeter, A isn't there any more. Theresa May isn't PM. And the 'agreed' solution failed to pass the Commons which is a necessary step (ironically due to pro-EU MPs). It's failed three times now.

If an agreement between two of four (I believe there's also a requirement for the European Parliament to acquiesce) parties cannot pass the third, it's not an agreement at all. It's a failed hope.

I can sympathise with the EU. It was May's idea, and she unwittingly didn't consider whether it would pass the Commons (or perhaps she did and underestimated how partisan Labour MPs would be or how unenthusiastic the most anti-EU MPs in her own party would be). That does not explain or excuse their currently disingenuous position. Claiming to be open to talks whilst refusing to renegotiate is both moronic and oxymoronic.

"(ironically due to pro-EU MPs"

Yet another case of the brain-dead "It's someone else's fault!" that we see constantly from Brexiteers.

Grow up and accept responsibility. You wanted Brexit, and this has led to the mess we're in. Some people warned you, if you'd cared to listen. ;)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

Bingo!

Every configuration of the problem is bizarre and offensive to someone. The Commons finds the backstop bizarre and offensive (though I don't). Boris has to find something which the Commons will accept. Such voting evidence as there is shows that TMs deal without the backstop is the only current candidate. The ERG extremists will never be satisfied, nor will the DUP. Moderate Labour MPs are the key to a solution.

Moderate Labour MPs are not going to collude in an attempt to make Ireland a virtual colony.
  • Options

Looks like we have lived through peak Johnson bounce. Can he hold on to the support he has as the nights close in and No Deal day approaches?

No.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    moonshine said:

Is die the most overused word in Bond titles?

Live and Let x
    Tomorrow Never x s
    x Another Day
    No Time to x
    From the other thread... Yes you are right. I was thinking about this at 1am too when Live and Love merged into one:
    From Russia with Love
    Spy Who Loved Me
    Live and Let Die
    Living Daylights
    You Only Live Twice
    Gold also features heavily

Goldfinger
    The Man With the Golden Gun
    GoldenEye
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Foxy said:

Carry on Brexit is a classic of the genre...
    Infamy! Infamy! they've all got it infamy...

https://youtu.be/h6BJJe9JV_A
  • Options

The Leave magic solution to the backstop is to annex Ireland?

If only all this farrago of nonsense could promote and bring about a peaceful single nation for the island of Ireland, deciding collectively whether to be in the EU or more closely allied to a non EU Britain, and all having a grown up debate, but I shall dream on.......
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'm sorry if I missed the intense discussion on this - I've been away in Boston and therefore out the loop, but the recent You Gov poll was fascinating.

Which of the flowing comes closer to your view on the role of an MP?

They are elected to act according to …

Their own judgement, even when this goes against the wishes of their constituents, or,
    The wishes of their constituents, even when this goes against their own judgement

MPs believed by 80% to 13% that it's the first.
    The voters believed by 63% to 7% it was the second.

Why are MPs so deluded? That could explains the current anger with them, and the ongoing log-jam in Parliament over Brexit. You have been given your orders, MPs, do what you're told. Leave the EU.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,948
    Kamala Harris has vowed to repeal Trump's tax break on twitter. It's gone down like cold sick.
  • Options
    The man is a fool.

Ireland has 27 pals. Why would she swap them for a bullying neighbour that has always treated her with contempt?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

The man is a fool.

Ireland has 27 pals. Why would she swap them for a bullying neighbour that has always treated her with contempt?
    Because unless Ireland does that Boris's plan fails.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

Agreed. Very disappointed with the title too.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

Bingo!

Every configuration of the problem is bizarre and offensive to someone. The Commons finds the backstop bizarre and offensive (though I don't). Boris has to find something which the Commons will accept. Such voting evidence as there is shows that TMs deal without the backstop is the only current candidate. The ERG extremists will never be satisfied, nor will the DUP. Moderate Labour MPs are the key to a solution.

Moderate Labour MPs are not going to collude in an attempt to make Ireland a virtual colony.
    Moderate Labour MPs want to have their cake, eat it and then get second helpings whilst not paying a penny and putting on no weight
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No Deal is an operation of EU law, not that of the UK Parliament.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    algarkirk said:

The UK Parliament can prevent it happening, and can legislate to make allowing it happen illegal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    It is slightly bizarre that two weeks of febrile politics with doom and disaster being forecast at every turn, Corbyn's speech seeking a GE (remember that?), the loss of a seat at a bye election 18 days ago and general hysteria has produced a poll result which is virtually no change on where we were. It's almost as if the great British public is not listening.

With the return of the football season and the continuing Ashes this may be the case for some time yet. I can't recall a time where so many people have moved from indifference about politics to outright hostility to it. If I ran a newspaper I think I'd be trying to keep Brexit off the front page. It would do nowt for sales.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

Its entirely in our hands as we can revoke Article 50 at any time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

The UK Parliament can prevent it happening, and can legislate to make allowing it happen illegal.
    No they can't. They cannot require the EU to agree a deal that is acceptable to the HoC. They cannot require the EU to grant another extension. They cannot require the UK government to agree a deal. All they can do is revoke or vote for the deal that the EU is offering. If they do neither then we have no deal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

Is there any guaranteed route to that except by passing an act compelling revocation? (BTW I think we can safely say there is no majority for that).

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I am not a great Boris fan but why is it offensive and if it offends you why post it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    My word, wouldn't voting for the withdrawal agreement; forcing a GE (DUP would vonc the Tories at this point) then maybe having another referendum whilst in transition (The EU would have acquiesced I suspect) been easier ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

No they can't. They cannot require the EU to agree a deal that is acceptable to the HoC. They cannot require the EU to grant another extension. They cannot require the UK government to agree a deal. All they can do is revoke or vote for the deal that the EU is offering. If they do neither then we have no deal.
    Exactly
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,102
    L
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

They can make revocation the default in the absence of a deal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

Exactly
    Is it going to become obvious quite soon that for sane leavers and sane remainers the only safe course is to accept TMs deal, which at the very least buys quite a lot of time for thoughtful consideration of our past errors? In terms of the realities of political and civil order revocation is not an option.

• Options
    DavidL said:

It is slightly bizarre that two weeks of febrile politics with doom and disaster being forecast at every turn, Corbyn's speech seeking a GE (remember that?), the loss of a seat at a bye election 18 days ago and general hysteria has produced a poll result which is virtually no change on where we were. It's almost as if the great British public is not listening.

With the return of the football season and the continuing Ashes this may be the case for some time yet. I can't recall a time where so many people have moved from indifference about politics to outright hostility to it. If I ran a newspaper I think I'd be trying to keep Brexit off the front page. It would do nowt for sales.

If you look at the polls it's been like that all year; during all the parliamentary turmoil under May, the polls didn't really shift. The ascent of Bozo has moved say 5% from BXP to Tory; otherwise it's been no change.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

Exactly
    Is it going to become obvious quite soon that for sane leavers and sane remainers the only safe course is to accept TMs deal, which at the very least buys quite a lot of time for thoughtful consideration of our past errors? In terms of the realities of political and civil order revocation is not an option.

The deal is dead. It was stillborn.
  • Options
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I am not a great Boris fan but why is it offensive and if it offends you why post it?
    You can stick "Vote Conservative" on the end of that clip... The soft focus optimism and upbeat music makes it a decent PPB. The Lib Dems can do something similar with a pro European message. What on earth will Labour produce ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Kamala Harris has vowed to repeal Trump's tax break on twitter. It's gone down like cold sick.

Democrats continuing Hilary Clinton's work - to prove that Trump is the worst possible President, except for the alternatives.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I'd be delighted to hear how I'm responsible for the actions of Dominic Grieve, or the decision of pro-EU MPs to repeatedly reject the deal, having voted to leave the EU, making no deal the course we're currently on.

Mr. Kirk, straight revocation would be... courageous. A referendum with revocation as an option would be contentious but far less so than the MPs doing it directly.

Of course, to do anything they have to actually back an option instead of bitching about everything, including the consequences of their actions.
  • Options
    Hmm. Just seen the tweet about Johnson's bilateral proposal.

I'd be fascinated to know if he actually thinks that has a cat in hell's chance of actually happening. Is it serious? Is it part of a blame game strategy? Is the PM a moron? I can only answer one of those questions, alas.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

algarkirk said:

If parliament can't force a deal on government that according to Johnson is"undemocratic", voting for the WA won't have any effect. It's revoke or Johnson's No Deal in that case.
This discussion has been closed.