Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the economy and the morning’s polling news

13»

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,393
    edited November 2013
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

A month ago the PB Tories were clinging to a 35/35 Mori and a one point lead with YouGov prophesying crossover and a soft Labour lead.
    Obviously they were missing the point of the leader ratings,but they've been missing the point of those since 2009.

Keep clinging to Tory shares of 30-32% as a good score

So polls change. I would have though that was blindingly obvious to most people. You just happen to think there will be no Tory recovery prior to 2015 despite a rapidly improving economy, and the likelihood of real terms wage rises. A brave view.

Personally I think if people feel they are getting better off and more secure in their job they are less likely to risk it all with Balls and Milliband. Who as all PB Tories know, are always wrong when it comes to the economy.
    As for the leadership issues, look at the data, Ed has led for 15 out of the last 18 months.

Dave leads Ed on actually being PM in 32 out of the last 32 months.

Just backed a horse that led all the way until just before the line.

Strangely, the bookies won't pay me out. ;-)

Mine was 'going well' followed by those dreaded words in text commentary for horse backers - "driven along"

So dreadful has been my form of late that I am loathe to tell you this, but I am on Tribal Dance in the 3.00 at Ludlow. Wish me luck.

Will I be seeing you at Cheltenham? I expect I'll be in The Centaur from about 11.am.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

A month ago the PB Tories were clinging to a 35/35 Mori and a one point lead with YouGov prophesying crossover and a soft Labour lead.
    Obviously they were missing the point of the leader ratings,but they've been missing the point of those since 2009.

So polls change. I would have though that was blindingly obvious to most people. You just happen to think there will be no Tory recovery prior to 2015 despite a rapidly improving economy, and the likelihood of real terms wage rises. A brave view.

Personally I think if people feel they are getting better off and more secure in their job they are less likely to risk it all with Balls and Milliband. Who as all PB Tories know, are always wrong when it comes to the economy.
    No sign that people feel they are better off though is there, pay up 0.7%, inflation three times that and Osborne deliberately pumping house prices up at ten times that rate.

As for the leadership issues, look at the data, Ed has led for 15 out of the last 18 months.

PB Tories - Overestimating David Cameron since 2008.

Where did I say people felt better off? I'm suggesting they will once real terms wage rises start to come in, possibly in 6-12 months time.
    There's absolutely no evidence that the decline in real wages (which has been going on for about 10 years for everyone outside the top 10% or so) is likely to reverse in the near future. the government is committed to continuing real wage cuts for public sector workers and there's no pressure on private sector employers to raise wages.

• Options
    Its not that Labour hasn't got previous on deleting history:

All of the official public documents of the Blair Government are on the web. All the minutes of all the Lobby briefings, for example, since they became “on the record” in 2000, are retained on the Downing Street website – although it was revamped in July by Gordon Brown’s people and so the Blair Archive comes up Error 404 File Not Found.

http://www.mileendgroup.com/event/429/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    I just read Owen Jones' article from Nighthawks and you know what, he's right. That which is the state's should be the state's and that which is private should be private.

• Options
    edited November 2013

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

Mine was 'going well' followed by those dreaded words in text commentary for horse backers - "driven along"

So dreadful has been my form of late that I am loathe to tell you this, but I am on Tribal Dance in the 3.00 at Ludlow. Wish me luck.

Will I be seeing you at Cheltenham? I expect I'll be in The Centaur from about 11.am.
    Not sure about Cheltenham, (That's not a no btw) but will have to see how finances are around that time ;)

Call it even money I'll be there or won't :)

Best of luck in the 15:00 btw
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    tim said:

@Carlotta.

The piece you were relying on yesterday from the Register

"the Wayback Machine (sorry, "the internet") is pretty empty of Labour's past as well as that of the Tories."

The person who wrote it is an idiot who can't spell

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.labour.org.uk/news

So neither Labour nor the Tories give access to old speeches from their site.

Nor has either one erased all copies from the Internet.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Great Falkirk bounce for the Tories with TNS
  • Options
    tim said:

@Carlotta.

"the Wayback Machine (sorry, "the internet") is pretty empty of Labour's past as well as that of the Tories."

Perhaps that 'idiot' didn't have access to an edit function. Unlike yourself who was able to go back and correct the spelling of the word 'Register' after previously spelling it 'Rgister'. Will you ever learn that it's sometimes best not to sneer at others? We are all fallible after all!

Well done on the attempted cover up though! Clearly learning from Ed!
  • Options
    All the polls are remarkably consistent with each other...
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Financier said:

FPT

White collar workers will become the new poor as their jobs are replaced by computers, the Government’s advisor on social mobility has warned.

Across the United States and Europe jobs working life has polarised into “lovely jobs” and “lousy jobs”, with the wages at the bottom end of the jobs market falling behind growth in the rest of the economy thanks to advances in technology, Mr Milburn said.

That fate will soon be shared by office workers as their jobs are outsourced to emerging economies and replaced by computers, he warns, “hollowing out the middle of the labour market”.

The assumption that a rising economy will “lift all boats” and result in better wages is no longer true, he said........

Real wages did not grow for blue-collar workers from 2003 until 2008, he said, and were “propped up” by tax credits at a cost of £20bn a year. The state can “no longer afford” to support such measures, he said.

Mr Milburn said he did not believe immigration from eastern Europe after 2004 had brought down wages for unskilled workers and had boosted growth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10448086/White-collar-workers-to-become-new-poor-as-computers-take-over.html

So believing as he does that technology is on course to cause a collapse in incomes he'll be against importing more millions of extra people?

"Mr Milburn said he did not believe immigration from eastern Europe after 2004 had brought down wages for unskilled workers and had boosted growth"

Silly me.
  • Options
    @tim - how do you access Labour's historical speeches directly from the Labour website?

We know why you won't answer - because you can't.

Just like Brown 404'd Blair.......
  • Options
    tim said:
    Was Gordon Brown Labour's first Prime Minister?

All the Blair years are missing......

And as Brown did to Blair....Miliband has done to Brown......Arf!

• Options

tim said:

@Carlotta.

Well done on the attempted cover up though! Clearly learning from Ed!
    Bit of an own goal - all it demonstrates is that Brown deleted everything to do with Blair.......

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

Is that a suggestion for us to back it, or lay it?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ed's hero in France.

Gráinne McCarthy ✔ @grainnemcc

#Hollande's popularity lurches again, with YouGov poll showing only 15% of French have favorable opinion of him

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

An 8 point lead? With 18 months to go? With real wage rises very likely to factor in prior to 2015. Terrifying stuff. Your complacency is quite something.

Speaking of getting things wrong, didn't you tell us Labour's stance on HS2 would be the next big thing? Whatever happened to that?

Can't see real wage rises in public sector can you?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

tim said:

Looks like we have 8 point Labour leads with most firms

Populus, ICM, YouGov and

Voting intentions poll shows CON 30% (-4), LAB 38% (+2), LD 8% (-1), UKIP 12% (-1), OTHER 11% (+2)

Over the last month, Labour support has increased by two points to 38%. Meanwhile, support for the Conservative Party has fallen and they now trail the Labour Party by eight points.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news-and-events/labour-lead-over-the-conservative-party-stands-at-eight-points

Thus proving yet again the PB Tory motto.

The PB Tories are always wrong, the PB Tories never learn

Is 'Posting Tourette's' a recognised illness?
    I think you will find the correct term is Timette's syndrome.

• Options

An 8 point lead? With 18 months to go? With real wage rises very likely to factor in prior to 2015. Terrifying stuff. Your complacency is quite something.

Speaking of getting things wrong, didn't you tell us Labour's stance on HS2 would be the next big thing? Whatever happened to that?

Are you 'the' big John ? As in 'Big John at breakfast' :) ?
  • Options
    Next said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

No sign that people feel they are better off though is there, pay up 0.7%, inflation three times that and Osborne deliberately pumping house prices up at ten times that rate.

Do you really think Miliband-Hollande's opportunistic nonsense will survive the heat of a GE campaign?
    General election campaigns are all heat and no light. The price freeze thing will survive it fine, Labour will think up plenty more opportunistic nonsense to go with it, and the other parties will respond in kind.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    GDP growth on its own doesn't mean people are getting better off. The political class use it in that sense as a way of lying to the public.

Firstly if for example GDP increased by 2% and population increased by 3% then things would be getting worse not better - so GDP per capita is the minimum needed for any meaningful measure of things getting better.

Secondly although GDP per capita is better it doesn't necessarily measure people getting better off either as it depends on how it is being distributed. If for example extra GDP was being added to the economy in a way that at the same time kept real wages stagnant then all that extra GDP would go to the employers. As that would be good for them and as that would involve a great deal of money if they employed a lot of people then they could afford to spend some of it on lobbyists to get their way.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

Next said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

Do you really think Miliband-Hollande's opportunistic nonsense will survive the heat of a GE campaign?
    General election campaigns are all heat and no light. The price freeze thing will survive it fine, Labour will think up plenty more opportunistic nonsense to go with it, and the other parties will respond in kind.
    Unfortunately, as far as the general public are concerned rather than pb obsessives - ALL Politics is Heat and no Light.

Just a shame that we can't harness that somehow to offset our energy bills. :-)

• Options

I don't know, are Labour proposing that there should be? If so how do they plan to pay for it? I suspect there may well be in the private sector though. Something I'm sure we'll all welcome should it come about.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Pulpstar said:

Are you 'the' big John ? As in 'Big John at breakfast' :) ?
    I am the Big John but only Big John at breakfast between 7.50 and 8am
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Private sector pay rose 1.1% last month, inflation was twice that

You may (just may) have mentioned this before. The point being made was that private sector pay may begin to rise by more than inflation before the GE. Maybe it will. Maybe it wont. Anyone who is interested has long since digested the latest ONS data on inflation / earnings.
  • Options
    tim said:

I don't know, are Labour proposing that there should be? If so how do they plan to pay for it? I suspect there may well be in the private sector though. Something I'm sure we'll all welcome should it come about.
    Private sector pay rose 1.1% last month, inflation was twice that, house prices forecast to rise at 6 times that deliberately pumped by Osborne.

Firstly I am clearly talking about future trends. Secondly, are Labour proposing above inflation wage increases for public sector workers, and if so how will they be paid for? As ever you studiously avoid the actual question before posting something you've already posted 100s of times before.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Mike, the next post has a broken comments thread.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,561

Plato said:

I'm barely reading PB or blogs now as its all feeling like padding. The Autumn Statement seems to be the next Big Thing.

How far can he push the thing into December before he has to call it the Winter Statement, or is Osborne one of those curious people who thinks that Winter starts on December 21st?
    It is really the winter statement. And for Labour winter is coming.
  • Options
    Not quite as profound as 'no more boom or bust', but good nevertheless:

“I would like to pay tribute to the contribution you and your company make to the prosperity of Britain,” Mr Brown told Lehman bankers in London’s Canary Wharf . “During its 150 year history, Lehman Brothers has always been an innovator, financing new ideas and inventions before many others even began to realize their potential.”
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    DavidL said:

Plato said:

I'm barely reading PB or blogs now as its all feeling like padding. The Autumn Statement seems to be the next Big Thing.

How far can he push the thing into December before he has to call it the Winter Statement, or is Osborne one of those curious people who thinks that Winter starts on December 21st?
    It is really the winter statement. And for Labour winter is coming.

I will take the opportunity to defend Ozzy - the winter solstice is 21 Dec so in astronomical terms it's still autumn

This discussion has been closed.