Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the economy and the morning’s polling news

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Any recourse for this poor chap ?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bookie-refuses-pay-out-11k-2785642

"A BOOKIE refused to pay out £11,000 to a punter after a seven-race bet came in – because there was a line printed on the betting slip.

Normally I see the bookies point in a lot of these cases but this one is very harsh. The bookie should pay up. Would they have paid a treble if the others had lost? I doubt it.
    Independent Betting Adjudication Service should rule in his favour, the races are not related contingencies, there is no palpable error on the odds of the individual horses (They all look reasonable), he has not written 'Each way all way' (Or even EW) on the betslip and 'sevenfold' is clearly printed on the RECEIPT.

Coral will be bang to rights here.
    Coral are absolute filth. They once paid out a bloke I worked withs bet as a winner but the bloke who sat next to him who had the same bet was not paid.

Cant see how their argument could possibly hold. The fact is they took it as an accumulator as the receipt shows, so even if the line meant anything, which I don't think it does, they would still have to honour it.
    Seems like they paid out - after the tabloid splash. Well done to the chap for highlighting their nefarious attempt.
    Hope he got paid out in cash . Nothing beats the feeling of getting a big win in cash straight from the bookies counter. The internet is convenient for betting but its a bit soulless when it comes to the PAYOUT. A big payout should be a highly anticipated triumphant march into the bookies with a smile and the betting slip proudly displayed (think Neville Chamberlain and his bit of paper) and a smug slap down of it on the counter with a 'hope you have enough in the safe for this' sort of line
    Couldn't agree more!

Sure others have had better but my fav cash pick up was the one that is now my avator...

the previous Saturday I did a first goalscorer 4 timer and none of them scored, then on the Wednesday in the Champs League, all four scored first and I wasn't on... the cashier laughed about this as I placed the bet pictured....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,057
    ------- Betting post ------------

P Power are going 2/5 for UKIP to NOT win a by-election before the next GE, which looks too long to me.

Will Hills are 7/2 for the opposite (UKIP to win a by election).

So there is a 94% book available on the matter indicating one of the prices is wrong. Hills also don't offer a 'No' option on their book - Their odds compiler does often get it wrong but I think the value is in the 2/5 from Paddy

-------------------------------
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The papers have decided there's going to be a crisis this winter, whether there is one or not. If it isn't power bills it will be Roma or A&E.

The coalition is going to get battered between now and the spring. Cameron must be like the captain of the Poseidon, watching the wave coming, knowing there's nothing he can do about it.

Batten down the hatches.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    I used to be a fan of Nick Palmer until I read his comments at 10.15 on "King Lear". It reflects a typical knee-jerk - "is it relevant to today's school kids"? "King Lear" is a great work and it is relevant if you chose to make it relevant to your life. It is about a man of power who is destroyed by his own arrogance and pig-headedness. It should be compulsory viewing for all MPs.
    I'm going to see it tomorrow in Chichester.
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

No idea which poll this 40% figure came from

Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynnexpress 13m

40% of northerners - many right wing on eg immigration/welfare - won't EVER consider voting Tory. New right-of-centre brand required!

From here:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/8t9lek56it/YG-Archive-131112-NorthVSouth.pdf

What O'Flynn doesn't mention is that 40% would NEVER vote for UKIP either (the Tory figure is actually 39%) and only 7% would definitely consider voting for UKIP - for the other parties the numbers in the north are: Con: 12, Lab: 26 LibD: 3.
    Dire for the Tories
    Mixed bag on the policy front:

Net support:
    HS2: -22
    Same sex marriage: +27
    Benefits cap £25k: +67 (Lab: +47)
    Net Migration cut: +68 (UKIP +98)
    Energy Price Freeze: +63
    Help to buy: +37 (Lab +34)
    Income tax threshold £10k: +89

• Options
    SandraM said:

I used to be a fan of Nick Palmer until I read his comments at 10.15 on "King Lear". It reflects a typical knee-jerk - "is it relevant to today's school kids"? "King Lear" is a great work and it is relevant if you chose to make it relevant to your life. It is about a man of power who is destroyed by his own arrogance and pig-headedness. It should be compulsory viewing for all MPs.
    I'm going to see it tomorrow in Chichester.

Nick in danger of losing the vital Shakespeare vote. Its a good job he is not standing in Stratford upon Avon.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    ojcorbs said:

You could plausibly do targeted polling of areas were UKIP picks up a lot of seats in 2013/2014 local elections and gauge their potential from that.

Why not just add up the results from those local elections as a few different people have done (thank you Andy_JS)? On a %age of the vote that they wont replicate in a GE they only "won" a handful of seats. In 2015 their limit will be 2 or 3 seats and they'd be foolish to target much more than that. (Fair enough if they choose to target a handful more in regions so far from the main targets that they dont detract from efforts there.)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim slags off capitialist running dog estate agents by quoting an estate agent ?

In Lubyanka everyone incriminates everyone in the end.....
  • Options
    Significant regional variations were not found in the popularity of Tory policies.

26k benefits cap supported by 79% of Northerners, and 85% of Southerners (excluding London)

The commitment to reduce immigration to “tens of thousands” 83% support in both the North and the South

Help-to-Buy scheme was backed by 63 per cent of voters in the North and 62 per cent in the South (excluding London)

It would appear at least some coalition policies bridge north and south.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If the Eurozone fails, it will be because of France.

And to think that a French PM once suggested a Union between Britain and France! Perhaps we dodged a bullet there.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "White-collar workers to become 'new poor’ as computers take over

Employees such as legal clerks and local government administrators will see their wages collapse as new technology makes their skills less valuable, just like manual workers have, Alan Milburn says"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10448086/White-collar-workers-to-become-new-poor-as-computers-take-over.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,944
    edited November 2013
    Good grief! The PB Tories are at it again!

In the Guardian!

Nick Clegg pressures Ed Miliband on Labour's Falkirk 'vote-rigging' inquiry
    Deputy PM says Labour leader should publish party's internal review of Scottish constituency's candidate selection process

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/14/nick-clegg-ed-miliband-labour-falkirk-vote-rigging

How they got the Guardian to report a story about the Leader of the Lib Dems 'banging on' about Falkirk.....we may never know.....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

On topic, I saw Clooney's latest film 'Gravity' recently.

It was a little disappointing, but probably because I'd fallen for some of the hype, not least from Roger of this parish. It's a good film though, and certainly Clooney is very watchable. The question is though will he get the credit for the improvement in the economy, or will voters reward George Osborne and the Government instead.

My money's on Clooney, but you never know.

Is it 3D only? I'm thinking about watching it today or tomorrow.
    No, the film I saw was not 3D.

The spacewalking scenes are very good though even without 3D, and Clooney gives a typically assured performance. It's pleasantly entertaining rather than great.

Rewatched 2001 Space Odyssey recently. Still sets the bar very high for that kind of film, despite the cheap monkey suits and some very clunky acting.

Hats off to Kubrick ,not many films can span 5 million years seamlessly . I still think its underated when the clever ape/man throws his club into the air in triumph after killing the wild animal and it turns into a space station . Beat that for continuity
  • Options
    How many by-elctions are there on average in a year, and also in the 5 months to a GE btw - anyone know those stats ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,361
    AndyJS said:

"White-collar workers to become 'new poor’ as computers take over

Employees such as legal clerks and local government administrators will see their wages collapse as new technology makes their skills less valuable, just like manual workers have, Alan Milburn says"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10448086/White-collar-workers-to-become-new-poor-as-computers-take-over.html

Just as the spinning jenny was not good for hand weavers.

I think this sums it up best: http://www.xkcd.com/1289/
  • Options
    On same-sex marriage, the only groups agin (net) were UKIP (-17) and 60+ (-14) tho Men (+17) were markedly less supportive than women (+40)

Everything else split pretty consistently across different groups.
  • Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    @ Nick Palmer and Financier

Re the great selection/comp debate. As it happens I am currently in the process of changing career (from being a lawyer) to being a history teacher. In the context of this I was lucky enough yesterday to teach a practice lesson at one of the schools attended by a member of the Quad (in the interests of discretion and my future career prospects I will not say which one).

To put it bluntly the standard of the GCSE history set I taught yesterday was stunning. The boys had clearly got a massive reserve of historical general knowledge; they were also interested and quick on the uptake (so far so good: the attributes you would expect from any intelligent child from a bookish home). However what was also noticeable was that a) they were clearly motivated by competition with their peers to work still harder and b) that they were not reticent about speaking out in class, presumably because they had no fear that their fellow pupils would label them as a result.

I just cannot see how an able boy at a comprehensive would be able to obtain and exhibit the latter two qualities. I appreciate the argument that having a smattering of able pupils will raise the overall standard but their abilities will not be maximised in that environment. They will not feel the competitive pressure and they could well feel afraid of speaking out for fear of being labelled. If we want people in the 93% of the population that can't afford private schools to rise to the top of our society and form the new elite we must reintroduce selective education. It is all very well claiming that the grammar schools that do exist do nothing for the poorest pupils but do not forget there an awful lot of people between the 17% at the bottom who receive free school meals and the 7% at the top who can afford private education.
  • Options
    Sachin 38 no at stumps....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

How many by-elctions are there on average in a year, and also in the 5 months to a GE btw - anyone know those stats ?

I think Rod of this parish had a bit to do with this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_by-elections

Very few by-elections would tend to be held that close to a scheduled GE though there are some examples in the list.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Carlotta

All that proves is no matter what policies your chinless leadership come up with they simply cannot connect in most of the country.

And that Labour has been wrong on welfare, immigration and help to buy.....but apart from that - great poll for Ed!

• Options

In the Guardian!

Deputy PM says Labour leader should publish party's internal review of Scottish constituency's candidate selection process

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/14/nick-clegg-ed-miliband-labour-falkirk-vote-rigging

How they got the Guardian to report a story about the Leader of the Lib Dems 'banging on' about Falkirk.....we may never know.....

G- “Nick Clegg has urged Ed Miliband to publish Labour's internal review of alleged vote-rigging in candidate selection for the Falkirk constituency, likening the episode to "a Monty Python parody of the Soviet Union".”

Clegg’s quip is rather good, sums things up perfectly according to our PBScots.
  • Options
    PS incidentally I make no claim that all private schools are like the one I saw yesterday. There are undoubtedly quite a few which are essentially comprehensives for the rich and select only in name. Parents who send their children to such schools are, imho, wasting their money.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cannot see him being out Lbw or by a faint nick to the keeper somehow
  • Options

In the Guardian!

G- “Nick Clegg has urged Ed Miliband to publish Labour's internal review of alleged vote-rigging in candidate selection for the Falkirk constituency, likening the episode to "a Monty Python parody of the Soviet Union".”

That's the second Monty Python jibe at Labour in as many days from the coalition:

Ed Balls was today likened to Monty Python’s Black Knight for refusing to admit defeat on the economy.
    Chancellor George Osborne mocked his Labour opponent for repeating claiming the government’s economic plan had failed despite signs of the recovery gaining momentum.
    In the famous scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail the Black Knight brushes off losing both arms as ‘just a flesh wound’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416801/Ed-Balls-refusal-admit-defeat-economy-like-Monty-Pythons-Black-Knight-insisting-losing-arms-just-flesh-wound.html
  • Options
    Neil said:

Why not just add up the results from those local elections as a few different people have done (thank you Andy_JS)? On a %age of the vote that they wont replicate in a GE they only "won" a handful of seats. In 2015 their limit will be 2 or 3 seats and they'd be foolish to target much more than that. (Fair enough if they choose to target a handful more in regions so far from the main targets that they dont detract from efforts there.)

Because turnout is lower at council elections than GE's and many UKIP local election voters may not translate into GE voters. I'm not saying do the polling, just that it is the only plausible way to find out. UKIP could plausibly target a dozen seats in 2015 probably, but honestly it should really be looking to establish a new baseline in 2015 ahead of a push to take a meaningful number of seats in the GE after that.

• Options
    MaxU said:

In the context of this I was lucky enough yesterday to teach a practice lesson at one of the schools attended by a member of the Quad (in the interests of discretion and my future career prospects I will not say which one).

Not Lochaber High School, I'm guessing.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Carlotta

All that proves is no matter what policies your chinless leadership come up with they simply cannot connect in most of the country.

How is the chinless Shadow Health Secretary getting on, is he connecting with the country?

Perhaps he should give Wales a visit
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2013
    @isam @state_go_away

Couldn't agree more!

Sure others have had better but my fav cash pick up was the one that is now my avator...

the previous Saturday I did a first goalscorer 4 timer and none of them scored, then on the Wednesday in the Champs League, all four scored first and I wasn't on... the cashier laughed about this as I placed the bet pictured....
    A bit of banter with the cashiers is always good, but I'm more concerned about not getting flagged. I tend to make more of a song and dance about my losers and quietly collect my winnners.

Staying under the radar means you can get decent bets on danny stupple coming 5th in the Eastleigh byelection.

@Pulpstar - good spot re: UKIP byelection win, the value is with PP.
  • Options
    ojcorbs said:

Because turnout is lower at council elections than GE's and many UKIP local election voters may not translate into GE voters. I'm not saying do the polling, just that it is the only plausible way to find out. UKIP could plausibly target a dozen seats in 2015 probably, but honestly it should really be looking to establish a new baseline in 2015 ahead of a push to take a meaningful number of seats in the GE after that.

I agree that UKIP wont do as well in the next GE as their equivalent national voteshare this year. And that is why it's difficult to see them winning any or certainly more than one or two seats. Building to 2020 is what they should do but then building to 2015 is what they should have done last time but Farage spent that election day in a plane above Buckinghamshire.
  • Options
    tim said:

"The introduction of grammar schools appears to have made no difference overall to the chances of working-class children climbing the ladder, according to this 2011 paper, because “any assistance to low-origin children provided by grammar schools is cancelled out by the hindrance suffered by those who attended secondary moderns”."

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-social-mobility-collapsed/16444

I'm sure Anecdotier will be along to tell us a story about a bloke from Cardiff who went to watch a play.

or maybe some unnamed people who mutter about a NIMBY north south divide
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Can't see him being given out any way but bowled, and even then at least two of the stumps will have to be uprooted.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

"The introduction of grammar schools appears to have made no difference overall to the chances of working-class children climbing the ladder, according to this 2011 paper, because “any assistance to low-origin children provided by grammar schools is cancelled out by the hindrance suffered by those who attended secondary moderns”."

I'm sure Anecdotier will be along to tell us a story about a bloke from Cardiff who went to watch a play in 1962 while since the introduction of comprehensives the same house is occupied by a heroin dealer

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/11/on-doing-your-homework-a-riposte-to-a-bog-standard-attack-on-grammar-schools.html
  • Options
    tim said:

I'm sure Anecdotier will be along to tell us a story about a bloke from Cardiff who went to watch a play in 1962 while since the introduction of comprehensives the same house is occupied by a heroin dealer

Lowest common denominator , always the long term goal for Socialists
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It was a little disappointing, but probably because I'd fallen for some of the hype, not least from Roger of this parish. It's a good film though, and certainly Clooney is very watchable. The question is though will he get the credit for the improvement in the economy, or will voters reward George Osborne and the Government instead.

The spacewalking scenes are very good though even without 3D, and Clooney gives a typically assured performance. It's pleasantly entertaining rather than great.

Rewatched 2001 Space Odyssey recently. Still sets the bar very high for that kind of film, despite the cheap monkey suits and some very clunky acting.

Hats off to Kubrick ,not many films can span 5 million years seamlessly . I still think its underated when the clever ape/man throws his club into the air in triumph after killing the wild animal and it turns into a space station . Beat that for continuity
    That is a truly brilliant moment. Been copied a few times since, but never bettered.

Have you ever read the book? I enjoyed it as much as the film, which certainly makes more sense once you have.

• Options
    My point concerns the prospects for able children in the middle (not poor but not rich enough to receive private education). If you want to ensure that representatives from that group take their place in tomorrow's elite you have to offer them the chance to shine through selective education. If on the other hand you wish to slightly improve the condition of the less able at the expense of the able then go ahead, keep comps but do not complain if the elite is dominated by the products of private schools.
    tim said:

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited November 2013
    Has anything happened in the last week? I've seen a weird article about Ralph Miliband running over a kitten in the Speccy on RSS but didn't bother to read it.

And more fuss about Non-Stories in Falkirk. Plus some nice growth/unemployment figs - but has anything actually *happened* bar the usual ebb and flow?

I'm barely reading PB or blogs now as its all feeling like padding. The Autumn Statement seems to be the next Big Thing.

That I'm having detailed discussions about demons and angels on a TV show tells me that its a lot more interesting - and when I'm bored of that, I'm discussing Superman and Eric Kripke's merits as a writer/producer. Right now, I'd rather have Clark Kent as PM and Miles from Revolution in charge of the MoD.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Has anything happened in the last week? I've seen a weird article about Ralph Miliband running over a kitten in the Speccy on RSS but didn't bother to read it.

And more fuss about Non-Stories in Falkirk. Plus some nice growth/unemployment figs - but has anything actually *happened* bar the usual ebb and flow?

I'm barely reading PB or blogs now as its all feeling like padding. The Autumn Statement seems to be the next Big Thing.

Things are certainly nowhere near as exciting as the Brown years.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited November 2013
    Plato ..It does get a little tedious reading about Chinless Fops every other post.
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/11/on-doing-your-homework-a-riposte-to-a-bog-standard-attack-on-grammar-schools.html
    Brilliant article
  • Options

AndyJS said:

That is a truly brilliant moment. Been copied a few times since, but never bettered.

Have you ever read the book? I enjoyed it as much as the film, which certainly makes more sense once you have.

Yes I have read the book and the whole series to 3001. I don't think there are many books that are written after a film ,normally its the other way around
  • Options
    Neil said:

I agree that UKIP wont do as well in the next GE as their equivalent national voteshare this year. And that is why it's difficult to see them winning any or certainly more than one or two seats. Building to 2020 is what they should do but then building to 2015 is what they should have done last time but Farage spent that election day in a plane above Buckinghamshire.

Barring a really great result next May (not just winning the Euro's but several hundred clustered councilors too) You're pretty much right, but the point is it's fairly unpredictable, right now they could very plausibly win 6 seats as 0 on the exact same vote share.

Personally I think if UKIP win the Euro's Farage should refuse to appear on Question Time anymore. None of the other 'major' party leaders do, and it's the only real place to showcase talent (whose ever really heard of a Green other than Caroline Lucas?)
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

An anti MMR nutjob?
    Do I have to read that crap.

Try not to throw the baby out with the bathwater so often.

You probably should read it.

• Options
    Watson showed appalling judgment getting involved in the Falkirk issue, given that Unite’s favored candidate Karie Murphy was a member of his own staff, and Len McCluksey is a close personal friend. But out of what I now genuinely believe was a misguided sense of loyalty, he tried to convince Ed Miliband it was in his [Miliband’s] and Labour’s interests to strike a deal with Unite over the issue. And he succeeded. The deal was done. Until it no longer suited Ed Miliband politically, at which point the deal was torn up in very dramatic and public fashion. Tom Watson’s anger at the mishandling – not to mention duplicity – of this saga is justified.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100245896/as-the-falkirk-scandal-spreads-labour-insiders-are-saying-you-cant-trust-ed-miliband/
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited November 2013
    When a comment has yet another reply to one poster - I skip passed it, that reduces the number of posts on PB by about 85%.

I'm really not interested in reading endless rebuttals to trolling from a single person. This is TPB.

Plato ..It does get a little tedious reading about Chinless Fops every other post.

• Options
    ojcorbs said:

whose ever really heard of a Green other than Caroline Lucas

Baroness Jenny Jones has a cult following on this very blog.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm a big fan of 2001. It has these long, drawn-out sequences where hardly anything happens, which ought to be boring, but are somehow enigmatic and mysterious. The same is true of The Shining.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Slightly OT I note that Ladbrokes in particular tend seldom to be the best price on football and horses (The 2 big betting mediums I think) in this country - I'd imagine this is because quite simply they don't have to be as so many people just think Ladbrokes/Hills when they fancy a flutter ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,361
    AndyJS said:

I'm a big fan of 2001. It has these long, drawn-out sequences where hardly anything happens, which ought to be boring, but are somehow enigmatic and mysterious. The same is true of The Shining.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. 2001 is just very, very boring.
  • Options
    Neil said:

ojcorbs said:

Only in the same way a batty old aunt has one...
  • Options
    Lamont having a go at Salmond on currency - 'Not so much cast iron as brass neck'......I do think the Scottish Parliament habit of applauding odd - but a lot better than the HoC braying and bellowing.....Salmond's response is to attack 'the Labour Party's brass neck on the bedroom tax'......
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    tim - "and then kill all the cats"

How would you feel about hunting cats with dogs as a legalised sport?
  • Options

Neil said:

ojcorbs said:

Only in the same way a batty old aunt has one...
    That's not very gentlemanly!
  • Options
    Neil said:

You could say the PB faithful are typical of the average voter. For most people Jenny Jones is barely visible except when there's a London Mayoral election on the go.
  • Options
    ojcorbs said:

Neil said:

You could say the PB faithful are typical of the average voter. For most people Jenny Jones is barely visible except when there's a London Mayoral election on the go.
    I wasnt seriously suggesting she was a high profile figure. However I dont think putting a different person on QT regularly will automatically turn them into a high profile figure either.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxU said:

PS incidentally I make no claim that all private schools are like the one I saw yesterday. There are undoubtedly quite a few which are essentially comprehensives for the rich and select only in name. Parents who send their children to such schools are, imho, wasting their money.

Use of the term "set" is a give away... ;-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

I'm sorry, you're wrong. 2001 is just very, very boring.
    I'm with you on that - like Spinal Tap: great for the first 20 mins, then I go off and make coffee or something...
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

The deal was done. Until it no longer suited Ed Miliband politically, at which point the deal was torn up in very dramatic and public fashion.

Yep, as so often Dan Hodges has got to the heart of the political significance of the story - the growing realisation both within Labour and outside it that Ed Miliband's word can't be trusted. The evidence is now overwhelming on this - of course Syria was the big one, and a particularly shocking one given the seriousness of the matter and the fact that it really wasn't a party-political issue.

My personal view is that this lack of trustworthiness is not dishonesty but weakness. He breaks his word because he changes what he says depending on who is leaning on him. Not that it makes much difference in the end what the cause is.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I wasnt seriously suggesting she was a high profile figure. However I dont think putting a different person on QT regularly will automatically turn them into a high profile figure either.

No, but it would be a bloody good start.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

The deal was done. Until it no longer suited Ed Miliband politically, at which point the deal was torn up in very dramatic and public fashion.

Yep, as so often Dan Hodges has got to the heart of the political significance of the story - the growing realisation both within Labour and outside it that Ed Miliband's word can't be trusted. The evidence is now overwhelming on this - of course Syria was the big one, and a particularly shocking one given the seriousness of the matter and the fact that it really wasn't a party-political issue.

My personal view is that this lack of trustworthiness is not dishonesty but weakness. He breaks his word because he changes what he says depending on who is leaning on him. Not that it makes much difference in the end what the cause is.
    Where does stabbing his own brother in the back come in the range from "weakness" to "dishonesty"?
  • Options
    Birthday present for Chas from the British people:

Britons want Prince Charles to be next King
    Strong public support for Prince Charles means that the majority of people want him to be King next, not Prince William.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/10447211/Britons-want-Prince-Charles-to-be-next-King.html
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,216
    Neil said:

ojcorbs said:

Brian Coleman has an even larger one. Ooor, er, missus.
  • Options

In the Guardian!

Anecdotally, I find that a lot of people are put off by clever quips from the politicians, though by being memorable they may have a stronger subconscious effect that counteracts the conscious dislike.

A recent example was my fiancée's vitriolic reaction to Miliband's latest soundbite: "Hot air from this Government won’t keep people warm this winter."

She felt that such glibness was a sign he didn't take the issue seriously, and was just playing political debating society games. This after his energy price freeze was the single thing any politician had done to impress her at all in the six years I've known her.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088

Yep, as so often Dan Hodges has got to the heart of the political significance of the story.
    Dan Hodges is making a nice career for himself as the Tory media's favourite former Labour Party man.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Slightly OT I note that Ladbrokes in particular tend seldom to be the best price on football and horses (The 2 big betting mediums I think) in this country - I'd imagine this is because quite simply they don't have to be as so many people just think Ladbrokes/Hills when they fancy a flutter ?

In the England vs Poland match, Coral, who don't offer each way and tend to be 1/5 of the 1st goalscorer price anytime, were only best price one player.. Phil Jones at 33s

• Options
    Plato said:

How far can he push the thing into December before he has to call it the Winter Statement, or is Osborne one of those curious people who thinks that Winter starts on December 21st?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    1 indisputable fact from the Falkirk story -

It is keeping Ed away from any unscripted media appearances..

That might explain the Labour bounce mind you...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Football and horse racing lend themselves to double /treble /acca betting. indeed if you go back only 20 years you could only do minimum trebles (by law I think) on the football. Therefore punters who do accas tend to not look for best individual prices as they are all never with the same firm anyway
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited November 2013
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Not 5/2 now - 7/5.

Will let this one run though.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

Doesn't Ed score much more highly on trust and honesty that Cameron does?

For now. It won't last, and it most certainly wouldn't survive a few months of Ed in No 10.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That wasn't always the case, Pulpy.

It wasn't that long ago that they had as much black type as anybidy, but they seem to be in the toils generally now. Their results have been 'disappointing' and they look ripe for a takeover.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

That wasn't always the case, Pulpy.

It wasn't that long ago that they had as much black type as anybidy, but they seem to be in the toils generally now. Their results have been 'disappointing' and they look ripe for a takeover.

Their results have been 'disappointing'

I blame PB...
  • Options
    Blunkett, Straw, large %s of Black & Asian Britons, immigrants themselves on national tv, & now Nick Clegg...

Coming to an area near you soon (unless you're wealthy enough not to care)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/10449064/Nick-Clegg-intimidating-and-offensive-Roma-migrants-must-be-sensitive-to-British-way-of-life.html
  • Options

tim said:

Doesn't Ed score much more highly on trust and honesty that Cameron does?

For now. It won't last, and it most certainly wouldn't survive a few months of Ed in No 10.

A bold claim RB - if the Labour types are representative of their supporters then there is no dastardly deed that would lower their opinion of anyone dyed Red.

• Options

In the Guardian!

Anecdotally, I find that a lot of people are put off by clever quips from the politicians, though by being memorable they may have a stronger subconscious effect that counteracts the conscious dislike.

[snip]
    You certainly have a point - quips and sound bites can often sound very shallow and on occasion backfire spectacularly. – However, to give Clegg his due, it wasn’t bad; I’m just a little surprised he has an opinion one way or the other on the subject and the gumption to voice it.
  • Options
    tim said:

Looks like we have 8 point Labour leads with most firms

Populus, ICM, YouGov and

Voting intentions poll shows CON 30% (-4), LAB 38% (+2), LD 8% (-1), UKIP 12% (-1), OTHER 11% (+2)

Over the last month, Labour support has increased by two points to 38%. Meanwhile, support for the Conservative Party has fallen and they now trail the Labour Party by eight points.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news-and-events/labour-lead-over-the-conservative-party-stands-at-eight-points

Thus proving yet again the PB Tory motto.

The PB Tories are always wrong, the PB Tories never learn

Is 'Posting Tourette's' a recognised illness?
  • Options

tim said:

Populus, ICM, YouGov and

Voting intentions poll shows CON 30% (-4), LAB 38% (+2), LD 8% (-1), UKIP 12% (-1), OTHER 11% (+2)

Over the last month, Labour support has increased by two points to 38%. Meanwhile, support for the Conservative Party has fallen and they now trail the Labour Party by eight points.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news-and-events/labour-lead-over-the-conservative-party-stands-at-eight-points

Is 'Posting Tourette's' a recognised illness?
    When you lose a GE as badly as Labour did - you have to cling to these poll scraps.

• Options
    tim said:

Populus, ICM, YouGov and

An 8 point lead? With 18 months to go? With real wage rises very likely to factor in prior to 2015. Terrifying stuff. Your complacency is quite something.

Speaking of getting things wrong, didn't you tell us Labour's stance on HS2 would be the next big thing? Whatever happened to that?
  • Options
    tim said:

@Max

A month ago the PB Tories were clinging to a 35/35 Mori and a one point lead with YouGov prophesying crossover and a soft Labour lead.
    Obviously they were missing the point of the leader ratings,but they've been missing the point of those since 2009.

Keep clinging to Tory shares of 30-32% as a good score

is Ed PM yet ?
  • Options
    tim said:

@Max

A month ago the PB Tories were clinging to a 35/35 Mori and a one point lead with YouGov prophesying crossover and a soft Labour lead.
    Obviously they were missing the point of the leader ratings,but they've been missing the point of those since 2009.

So polls change. I would have though that was blindingly obvious to most people. You just happen to think there will be no Tory recovery prior to 2015 despite a rapidly improving economy, and the likelihood of real terms wage rises. A brave view.

Personally I think if people feel they are getting better off and more secure in their job they are less likely to risk it all with Balls and Milliband. Who as all PB Tories know, are always wrong when it comes to the economy.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,216
    @ tim - dear bean-bag one, after your classic Dave's avoiding PMQs because inflation has plummeted and unemplyment falling massively, things could only get slightly better.

But you're still having a terrrrible day. You need something to occupy you. I know, still have a few copies of the latest Hersham Bugle to deliver. Catch a train (no, not HS2 about which you mysteriously been struck dumb) and join me on the streets.

As for that motto in full.

"PbTories love cocktails, tim will someday learn. Possibly".
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

1 indisputable fact from the Falkirk story -

It is keeping Ed away from any unscripted media appearances..

That might explain the Labour bounce mind you...

Ha ha, good point! I wonder how much longer Ed can this going, as the general election draws near. This might just be clutching at straws but I do think (hope...) Ed won't waltz unscathed through the media scrutiny of an election campaign...
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@Max

So polls change. I would have though that was blindingly obvious to most people. You just happen to think there will be no Tory recovery prior to 2015 despite a rapidly improving economy, and the likelihood of real terms wage rises. A brave view.

Personally I think if people feel they are getting better off and more secure in their job they are less likely to risk it all with Balls and Milliband. Who as all PB Tories know, are always wrong when it comes to the economy.
    No sign that people feel they are better off though is there, pay up 0.7%, inflation three times that and Osborne deliberately pumping house prices up at ten times that rate.

As for the leadership issues, look at the data, Ed has led for 15 out of the last 18 months.

PB Tories - Overestimating David Cameron since 2008.

Do you really think Miliband-Hollande's opportunistic nonsense will survive the heat of a GE campaign?
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@Max

As for the leadership issues, look at the data, Ed has led for 15 out of the last 18 months.

Dave leads Ed on actually being PM in 32 out of the last 32 months.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

Just backed a horse that led all the way until just before the line.

Strangely, the bookies won't pay me out. ;-)

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

You're sinking to Floater/JohnZims levels, what happened?

Trying to get it into your 5 watt lightbulb that polls are like winning a throw in at football.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@Max

No sign that people feel they are better off though is there, pay up 0.7%, inflation three times that and Osborne deliberately pumping house prices up at ten times that rate.

Where did I say people felt better off? I'm suggesting they will once real terms wage rises start to come in, possibly in 6-12 months time. Also feeling your less likely to lose the job you have is fairly important. It's easy to tell a pollster you'll vote Labour 18 months away from a general election. When it comes to the crunch though, Balls at number 11? I remain unconvinced that no one will pause and think again at that point.

If it wasn't for the fact that I care about this country I'd love to see the two Eds in power. Purely for comedy effect of course! Can you imagine what a disaster they'd be?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Falkirk. Dan Hodges. Yawn.

Nobody gives a toss.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

If it wasn't for the fact that I care about this country I'd love to see the two Eds in power. Purely for comedy effect of course! Can you imagine what a disaster they'd be?
    Just look at France...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Max

Just backed a horse that led all the way until just before the line.

Strangely, the bookies won't pay me out. ;-)

Mine was 'going well' followed by those dreaded words in text commentary for horse backers - "driven along"
  • Options
    But interestingly, the Tories are only the third most toxic party. Thirty five per cent would never vote Lib Dem, while 43% would never vote UKIP.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/tories-biggest-problem-remains-their-toxic-brand

Or put differently, 'second least toxic, after Labour'......
  • Options
    Snarf.

http://order-order.com/2013/11/14/labour-delete-entire-history-pre-2010-from-website/

"there is nothing in their News Archive before Ed Miliband’s “A New Generation” 2010 conference speech:"
  • Options
    Falkirk.. no one gives a toss..yeh right..yawn
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @TGPHF Nothing to fear, nothing to hide....er SNAFU. Labour fail.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Falkirk. Dan Hodges. Yawn.

Nobody gives a toss.

Don't tell me - tell the Guardian!

Didn't they get the 'non-story' memo?

And while you're at it, tell that other PB Tory, Nick Clegg:

Union control of the Labour party is like a ‘Monty Python parody of the Soviet Union’, Nick Clegg claimed today.

The Deputy Prime Minister accused Labour leader Ed Miliband of being a ‘puppet on a string’ controlled by the trade unions who provide the bulk of the funding to his party.

And he called on the Labour leadership to ‘come clean’ about the ‘seriously dodgy’ process for selecting its parliamentary candidate in Falkirk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507174/Labour-unions-like-Monty-Python-parody-Soviet-Union.html#ixzz2kcyFo9s0
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Snarf.

http://order-order.com/2013/11/14/labour-delete-entire-history-pre-2010-from-website/

"there is nothing in their News Archive before Ed Miliband’s “A New Generation” 2010 conference speech:"

I'm sure that will give the PBKinnocks a whole afternoon of posts...
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Snarf.

http://www2.labour.org.uk/ed-milibands-speech-conference,2009-09-28

Take five seconds to look rather than embarrassing yourself.
    What page of the Labour Website News section is that on?

How do you access it directly from the Labour website?

• Options
    Guido reckons that Labour has deleted all speeches before 2010.. who'd a thunk it..
  • Options

Guido reckons that Labour has deleted all speeches before 2010.. who'd a thunk it..

They are no longer directly accessible from the Labour website - as I pointed out yesterday - but tim thinks reposting the link I provided yesterday somehow proves they are.....
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Snarf.

http://www2.labour.org.uk/ed-milibands-speech-conference,2009-09-28

Take five seconds to look rather than embarrassing yourself.
    What page of the Labour Website News section is that on?

How do you access it directly from the Labour website?

Why would four year old speeches be in the News section?

How do you directly access those from the Labour website?

This discussion has been closed.