Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation has CON lead at 4 with just 19% wanting a no deal Br

124»

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

There is a recession on the way, with its epicentre in the exporting centres of China and Germany.

If the EU nomenklatura want to drive that into a depression to make a point by destroying the EU's largest market then they will have the voters of Europe to answer to.

They may not care. But Europe's elected politicians will...

Good point - they need us more than we need them!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited August 2019
    Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

As well as Brexit, Boris is responsible for many more things g Kong as he does nothing.

4. Boris head turned away from the British registered vessel and others held illegally by the Iranians, as he does nothing.
    1. The UK is still in the EU so until we Leave wrong if they are in EU waters then EU law applies.

2. The UK is ending free movement and replacing it with a points system and Salvini is set to win a landslide in the autumn in the Italian general election to send migrant boats back to Africa.

3. Raab personally phoned Carrie Lam despite Chinese protestations to complain about treatment of pro democracy pritestors in Hong Kong.

4. It was on May's watch the Iranian vessel was seized not Boris' and the UK is now set to undertake patrols with US ships in the region.
    1. When EU point out EU ban on oil to Syria only applies to EU registered vessels. Does Boris actually have a response to that?
    2. I was pointing to the escalating situation in the English Channel, and that the government need to show themselves on the front foot against the evil gangs , thanks for your points but none of them addressed it.
    3. To be fair apart from that phone call, what can be done. Politics isn’t fair, it’s Boris who will look weak and whose rating will fall, not a party leader out of power.
    4. With reference to 1. happening, that vessel and other captives in Iran will be front and centre of the news and the government reactive, unless they get on the front foot.
    1. Yes if necessary he will be Trump's enforcer in chief in Europe if necessary if the EU won't do it, should help with a US FTA.
    2. Most of the migrants in the Channel come from Africa via southern Europe so if Salvini is elected Italian PM in the autumn with a send back the boats policy as is likely that addresses your point absolutely at source.
    3. Short of invading Hong Kong to force out China which obviously would only be done with Trump's USA alongside the UK has done as much as it can while Corbyn will be remembered as the man whose Shadow Chancellor praised Mao.
    4. The Royal Navy is already stepping up joint patrols in the Gulf with the US Navy.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Scott_P said:
    At first glance I thought torygraph was supporting labour’s announcement today on uni places.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Gabs2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn knows full well what he is doing and that, once he has the office for a couple weeks, he won't budge from it. MPs will need to decide if they are willing to legitimize such a person.
    Don't be silly - they could VoNC Corbyn out very easily once No Deal has been blocked.
    I have a better idea. Accept Stephen Kinnocks offer and get the WDA signed
    Well yes, I'd support that... but Boris can't can he?

Even if he did, he would not get the vote through - half his cabinet would resign, the ERG would vote against, along with most of Labour, the SNP and LDs.
    Stephen Kinnock is talking of 50 plus labour mps and so many want this concluded it may just get through
    It's a very neat form of Brexit actually, anyway I hope it works but fear it wont
  • Options

CatMan said:

I know everyone here are really big fans of Greta Thunberg ;) so you can all watch her progress here: https://t.co/6nhsBbn73Q?amp=1

The irony is they have an inboard engine for emergencies
    Seems sensible to me.
    Yes but hardly fits the narrative
    Well, yes and no. I am against single use plastic and my wife and I have cut it out as much as we can... but I am still happy to use it for essential medical purposes.

I don't think I am being too hypocritical.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm sure she'll be far happier there than she ever was in the Conservative party.
    Half of Cameron's A List in 2010 were liberals not conservatives anyway, Wollaston, Soubry, Mensch, Allen, Boles Lee etc they have just found their natural home
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    "Labour leader proposes to head caretaker": are the Telegraph subs on holiday?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

There is a recession on the way, with its epicentre in the exporting centres of China and Germany.

If the EU nomenklatura want to drive that into a depression to make a point by destroying the EU's largest market then they will have the voters of Europe to answer to.

All the cards!

• Options

CatMan said:

I know everyone here are really big fans of Greta Thunberg ;) so you can all watch her progress here: https://t.co/6nhsBbn73Q?amp=1

Seems sensible to me.
    Well, yes and no. I am against single use plastic and my wife and I have cut it out as much as we can... but I am still happy to use it for essential medical purposes.

To be honest our whole family oppose single use plastic
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Smithson is now a biased and unreliable witness in the battle of the polls.

Yet you still post on his website.
  • Options

If you don't like OGH feel free to start your own site.

You're a guest here, speak with more respect.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Sarah Wollaston's statement:

https://www.facebook.com/315239351932784/posts/2181057592017608

"My in-box also has messages from some who ask if I am calling a by-election in Totnes. The answer is straightforward; I will be backing an election in Totnes by voting no confidence in the government at the earliest opportunity. 99.86% of the population had no choice whatsoever about our current Prime Minister and I believe the whole electorate deserves a say. It is a general election that is needed, not just a by-election, and it needs to take place before we leave the EU.

"The Liberal Democrats under the new leadership of Jo Swinson are outward looking and unequivocally committed to remaining at the heart of an evolving Europe. In this new political landscape, I feel this is the best political party from which to stand up for the communities I am privileged to represent. I hope that you will join me."
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

I am hanging around for the front pages, if they rally behind BoJo’s collaborators line of attack with “collaborating with Enemy - traitors” it’s going to be another low for this divided nation. 😕
    Well, it doesn't look like even Boris's own paper is running with his line:
    Scott_P said:
  • Options

oh buzz off. No one is above criticism.

If he wants an open blog then he must accept it. Otherwise its just an echo chamber.
  • Options

Yet you still post on his website.
    Rarely
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Gabs2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn knows full well what he is doing and that, once he has the office for a couple weeks, he won't budge from it. MPs will need to decide if they are willing to legitimize such a person.
    Don't be silly - they could VoNC Corbyn out very easily once No Deal has been blocked.
    I have a better idea. Accept Stephen Kinnocks offer and get the WDA signed
    Well yes, I'd support that... but Boris can't can he?

Even if he did, he would not get the vote through - half his cabinet would resign, the ERG would vote against, along with most of Labour, the SNP and LDs.
    Stephen Kinnock is talking of 50 plus labour mps and so many want this concluded it may just get through
    Stephen Kinnock is talking out of his hind quarters. The number of Labour MPs who have indicated they have changed their minds on May's deal is closer to 5 than 50. And at least as many Tories who supported it in MV3 have disowned it - not least the PM himself.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Seems sensible to me.

I would have expected no less from you Big_G... but I couldn't see you objecting to it's use for medical purposes where no other option exists.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm sure she'll be far happier there than she ever was in the Conservative party.
    Half of Cameron's A List in 2010 were liberals not conservatives anyway, Wollaston, Soubry, Mensch, Allen, Boles Lee etc they have just found their natural home
    Um, the centralist Tory MPs always had 2 homes (the Lib Dems or the Tories) and as with Rory picked the one they preferred.

The Tory option seems to have been lost but I don't think it's the fault of the centralist MPs more a swing by the Tory party to the right in the hope of attracting voters who will probably never vote Tory.
  • Options
    Isn't a basic bridge essentially a plank, which seems apt.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Good point - they need us more than we need them!
    We hold all the cards!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

As well as Brexit, Boris is responsible for many more things g Kong as he does nothing.

4. Boris head turned away from the British registered vessel and others held illegally by the Iranians, as he does nothing.
    1. The UK is still in the EU so until we Leave wrong if they are in EU waters then EU law applies.

2. The UK is ending free movement and replacing it with a points system and Salvini is set to win a landslide in the autumn in the Italian general election to send migrant boats back to Africa.

3. Raab personally phoned Carrie Lam despite Chinese protestations to complain about treatment of pro democracy pritestors in Hong Kong.

4. It was on May's watch the Iranian vessel was seized not Boris' and the UK is now set to undertake patrols with US ships in the region.
    1. When EU point out EU ban on oil to Syria only applies to EU registered vessels. Does Boris actually have a response to that?
    2. I was pointing to the escalating situation in the English Channel, and that the government need to show themselves on the front foot against the evil gangs , thanks for your points but none of them addressed it.
    3. To be fair apart from that phone call, what can be done. Politics isn’t fair, it’s Boris who will look weak and whose rating will fall, not a party leader out of power.
    4. With reference to 1. happening, that vessel and other captives in Iran will be front and centre of the news and the government reactive, unless they get on the front foot.
    1. Yes if necessary he will be Trump's enforcer in chief in Europe if necessary if the EU won't do it, should help with a FTA.
    2. Most of the migrants in the Channel come from Africa via southern Europe so if Salvini is elected Italian PM in the autumn with a send back the boats policy as is likely that addresses your point absolutely at source.
    3. Short of invading Hong Kong to force out China which obviously would only be done with Trump's USA alongside the UK has done as much as it can while Corbyn will be remembered as the man whose Shadow Chancellor praised Mao.
    4. The Royal Navy is already stepping up joint patrols in the Gulf with the US Navy.
    I will respond with thanks. Amidst the flak you take on this forum, I knew you could be relied on to put up answers to the questions. We may find out how strong those answers are in the coming days.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

"My in-box also has messages from some who ask if I am calling a by-election in Totnes. The answer is straightforward; I will be backing an election in Totnes by voting no confidence in the government at the earliest opportunity. 99.86% of the population had no choice whatsoever about our current Prime Minister and I believe the whole electorate deserves a say. It is a general election that is needed, not just a by-election, and it needs to take place before we leave the EU.

"The Liberal Democrats under the new leadership of Jo Swinson are outward looking and unequivocally committed to remaining at the heart of an evolving Europe. In this new political landscape, I feel this is the best political party from which to stand up for the communities I am privileged to represent. I hope that you will join me."

It will be an interesting, and close, contest in Totnes.
  • Options

oh buzz off. No one is above criticism.

If he wants an open blog then he must accept it. Otherwise its just an echo chamber.
    Not open, you need to be a registered member and if you keep being rude you'll have no right to object when you get banned.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Sean_F said:

It will be an interesting, and close, contest in Totnes.
    Ka f**king boom.....
  • Options

That's a bit arch from you @TSE
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

1. Yes if necessary he will be Trump's enforcer in chief in Europe if necessary if the EU won't do it, should help with a US FTA.
    Can you provide an example of McDonnell praising Mao?
  • Options

Its a bridge term. As in 'cards...

Your comment amply proving that this is a Remain echo chamber, not a political betting site.

My mistake. Signing off.
  • Options
  • Options

But not inaccurate.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Seems sensible to me.

I would have expected no less from you Big_G... but I couldn't see you objecting to it's use for medical purposes where no other option exists.
    I agree but even that needs to be addressed. I have been complaining to Asda home delivery for a long time over their use of single use bags on their home deliveries and finally they stopped the practice last week
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

I cantilever a good pun out of this one...
  • Options

Your comment amply proving that this is a Remain echo chamber, not a political betting site.

My mistake. Signing off.
    All I know about bridge is that it is a lot like sex.

If you haven't got a good partner you need a good hand.
  • Options

My mistake. Signing off.
    Close the site! How will we ever carry on now that @basicbridge has flounced?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,844

If the EU nomenklatura want ....to make a point by destroying the EU's largest market then they will have the voters of Europe to answer to...

If I understand your sentence correctly, you contend that if the EU destroy us then their voters may be affected.

Well, yeeesss, good point, but I can't help thinking the "destroying us" bit was the important part. If somebody shoots me in the head, I am not concerned that they may be discomfited by my brain matter spoiling their nice shoes.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Well at least you didn't keep me in suspension!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

I am hanging around for the front pages, if they rally behind BoJo’s collaborators line of attack with “collaborating with Enemy - traitors” it’s going to be another low for this divided nation. 😕
    Scott_P said:
    If that happened, I think the bettors here would have an interesting market on whether Johnson or Corbyn would end up with record of shortest-serving British Prime Minister!
  • Options

I can't ileave er you said that.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Um, the centralist Tory MPs always had 2 homes (the Lib Dems or the Tories) and as with Rory picked the one they preferred.

The Tory option seems to have been lost but I don't think it's the fault of the centralist MPs more a swing by the Tory party to the right in the hope of attracting voters who will probably never vote Tory.
    No, they were not Tories, half of them had no history of campaigning for the party in the wilderness years from 1997 to 2005 they only joined under a liberal leader when it looked like the Tories would get into power and they could waltz into winnable seats.

The vast majority of 2017 Tory voters now back Brexit Deal or No Deal
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dammit, you got there before me!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No, they were not Tories, half of them had no history of campaigning for the party in the wilderness years from 1997 to 2005 they only joined under a liberal leader when it looked like the Tories would get into power and they could waltz into winnable seats
    They weren’t suitably dedicated to the cult?
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

1. Yes if necessary he will be Trump's enforcer in chief in Europe if necessary if the EU won't do it, should help with a FTA.
    I will respond with thanks. Amidst the flak you take on this forum, I knew you could be relied on to put up answers to the questions. We may find out how strong those answers are in the coming days.
    We will see
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited August 2019
    This kind of stuff, along with the rape and incest comments of Rep. Steve King today, is the strongest possible indicator to me that a post-Brexit election in which one side plays lapdog to the USA is going to be tough to win.
    We are culturally light years from their governing Party. Even with the current Cabinet.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

Scott_P said:
    If that happened, I think the bettors here would have an interesting market on whether Johnson or Corbyn would end up with record of shortest-serving British Prime Minister!
    I can't help thinking that every photo of Carrie is another few votes lost.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

The famous budget debate with his signed copy of the little red book, not to be confused with the big red book on government side of the box, McD was accusing ossie cozying up to nationalistic undemocratic Chinese?

Come to think of it, Kill All Sparrows does have Echoes with Take Back Control. Has it been thought through?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This kind of stuff, along with the rape and incest comments of Rep. Steve King today, is the strongest possible indicator to me that a post-Brexit election in which one side plays lapdog to the USA is going to be tough to win.
    We are culturally light years from their governing Party. Even with the current Cabinet.
    Do you have a link to his comments please?

I'm not mad keen on doing a google search involving 'rape and incest'
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Dammit, you got there before me!
    Truss @Foxy to be so quick eh!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/economy/news/59853/john-mcdonnell-mao-red-book-stunt-backfires
  • Options
    I feel like this joke has run its span...
  • Options

rpjs said:

Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

Scott_P said:
    For what reason? You saying she is unattractive?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No, they were not Tories, half of them had no history of campaigning for the party in the wilderness years from 1997 to 2005 they only joined under a liberal leader when it looked like the Tories would get into power and they could waltz into winnable seats
    As far as I am concerned if you are not prepared to campaign for the party in good times and bad you are not a conservative but a floating voter at best.

I am sure many Labour activists would say the same of New Labour types who have now deserted the party and are not proper socialists
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/14/steve-king-iowa-republican-rape-incest-abortion
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

rpjs said:

Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

Scott_P said:
    No. Consider the voters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

As far as I am concerned if you are not prepared to campaign for the party in good times and bad you are not a conservative but a floating voter at best.

I am sure many Labour activists would say the same of New Labour types who have now deserted the party
    Is attracting floating voters not a good thing?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I am sure many Labour activists would say the same of New Labour types who have now deserted the party and are not proper socialists
    Utter and total garbage
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/14/steve-king-iowa-republican-rape-incest-abortion
    Thanks.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Yes, with bridge out of the picture, perhaps we should play pontoon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I am sure many Labour activists would say the same of New Labour types who have now deserted the party
    Of course but after reaching out from your base not abandoning your base
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

I thin

1. When
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/economy/news/59853/john-mcdonnell-mao-red-book-stunt-backfires
    An example of McDonnell NOT praising Mao. Please try again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

No - only the true believers will be saved. Their reward shall come in heaven a safe seat on a local council.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited August 2019
    Watching the BBC news at Ten. An item on social care.

The director for Hertfordshire Adult Social Services is, it turns out, about 30 stone in weight.

How can a person who is morbidly obese, and presumably incapable of denying himself a cream cheese bagel, be deemed an acceptable person to provide Adult Social Care to adults probably less disturbed than him?!

If you are a walking barrel of lard, you should be on a massive diet, not in a welfare job.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Utter and total garbage
    No, the truth (and I would have some reservations about those who were UKIP in the Cameron years too, however ideologically they tend to be more conservative than most of the A List were in 2010).
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Watching the BBC news at Ten. An item on social care.

The director for Hertfordshire Adult Social Services is, it turns out, about 30 stone in weight.

How can a person who is morbidly obese, and presumably incapable of denying himself a cream cheese bagel, be deemed an acceptable person to provide Adult Social Care to adults probably less disturbed than him?!

If you are a walking barrel of lard, you should be on a massive diet, not in a welfare job.

You write for Private Eye and I claim my £5
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, with bridge out of the picture, perhaps we should play pontoon.
    I can't Bailey-ve you've got that one in!
  • Options
    Good night folks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

The Labour activists you refer to were more likely to have been campaigning for the SWP during the New Labour era, so aren't the best example of folk who stick with their party!
  • Options
    Come on PBers, dig deep into your pockets for this well deserving case:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1161326928726515712
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

The Labour activists you refer to were more likely to have been campaigning for the SWP during the New Labour era, so aren't the best example of folk who stick with their party!
    And how many of the Tory activists were campaigning for UKIP or BXP in recent elections?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Of course but after reaching out from your base not abandoning your base
    I always thought Nabavi, Herdson and TSE were the Tory base!
  • Options

Is he planning to sue the Labour Party?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Intriguing movements, tho.

I predict we are about to see the most interesting Autumn in British politics since the Putney Debates of October 1647.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putney_Debates

Hopefully, we will have to wait another 400 years for similar excitement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    Byronic said:

Get used to it. This is how the UK will be treated in future.
    I'm not sure it will be (in this circumstance).

Re Pelosi, remember that these are American politicians playing to Irish-American voters, and the still-modestly-powerful Irish American lobby (the lobby is obviously not THAT powerful, anymore, or Trump and Bolton would not feel able to make these breezily pro-Brexit remarks).

At the moment, coming out for the GFA and Ireland is an easy vote-winner, and it sounds morally correct. And quite possibly it is morally correct.

But imagine if Britain does a Hard or Hardest Brexit. Some fix will be found for the Border, in time. Is America, in that light. really going to antagonise one of its most significant allies, and a serious military player. the UK, in favour of a largely sentimental attachment to Ireland?

Nope. The days of the Kennedys are gone. Realpolitik would prevail. If a UK-US trade deal was in America's interest, it would be dealt.
    Oh, a US-UK trade deal is perfectly possible, even if Pelosi opposes it.

But it will require the UK to open the doors to US agricultural products, including no non-tariff barriers on GM crops.

So: how does the UK Conservative Party, without a majority in parliament, get that past MPs from farming constituencies?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Translation:

Seamus has become worried that the idea of a GNU with someone other than Corbyn is beginning to gain traction, and worse, there is some chance that if we don't f**k about with everyone by throwing dead cats all over the place, then some procedural motion might actually stop a Tory No Deal Brexit and all that lovely chaos.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Get used to it. This is how the UK will be treated in future.
    I'm not sure it will be (in this circumstance).

Re Pelosi, remember that these are American politicians playing to Irish-American voters, and the still-modestly-powerful Irish American lobby (the lobby is obviously not THAT powerful, anymore, or Trump and Bolton would not feel able to make these breezily pro-Brexit remarks).

At the moment, coming out for the GFA and Ireland is an easy vote-winner, and it sounds morally correct. And quite possibly it is morally correct.

But imagine if Britain does a Hard or Hardest Brexit. Some fix will be found for the Border, in time. Is America, in that light. really going to antagonise one of its most significant allies, and a serious military player. the UK, in favour of a largely sentimental attachment to Ireland?

Nope. The days of the Kennedys are gone. Realpolitik would prevail. If a UK-US trade deal was in America's interest, it would be dealt.
    Oh, a US-UK trade deal is perfectly possible, even if Pelosi opposes it.

But it will require the UK to open the doors to US agricultural products, including no non-tariff barriers on GM crops.

So: how does the UK Conservative Party, without a majority in parliament, get that past MPs from farming constituencies?
    Do trade deals have to pass the HoC though?
  • Options

I'm guessing #GTTO doesn't stand for 'Get the Trots Out'.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    Scott_P said:
    Jezza’s played an absolute blinder. No one will accept him as PM, so it’s guaranteed No Deal horror but he can shrug his shoulders and say, ‘I tried’. If Boris isn’t in a full meltdown of panic he bloody well should be.

• Options

Hmm. I’m not sure 🤔 what was his actual crime, did he say or do something anti Semitic?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Jezza’s played an absolute blinder. No one will accept him as PM, so it’s guaranteed No Deal horror but he can shrug his shoulders and say, ‘I tried’. If Boris isn’t in a full meltdown of panic he bloody well should be.

🤔. As the plate gets hotter, the monkey always stands on the baby.

Temporarily accept Corbyn as PM, or get a No Deal brexit.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

rpjs said:

Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Evening everyone.

Scott_P said:
    Even Marina is more attractive :)
  • Options
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

And I'm sure the former candidate and entire local party will be utterly delighted about this.

How could I ever doubt it?

I'm quite certain the local party and the national LD party will have had conversations about this and the implications. There will be some discontent locally but, with due respect to Julian Brazil, the best placed candidate to stop the Conservatives holding Totnes is probably Sarah Wollaston and if she wants to fight under LD colours I'm comfortable with that.

That's Lord Julian Brazil, to you.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Can you cable-stay out of this?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Some but not all and ideologically they will be of the left
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    Intriguing movements, tho.

I predict we are about to see the most interesting Autumn in British politics since the Putney Debates of October 1647.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putney_Debates

Hopefully, we will have to wait another 400 years for similar excitement.
    Was the nation riveted to the Putney debates? Wasn’t there a mob-ball World Cup on the same time that autumn too?

My suspicion is they were a political stitch up, not genuine debates at all, but I always thought what a great counterfactual if the debates had be won the other way and someone like rainsborough took control.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    This thread has *insert joke here*
  • Options

Remember, when a iPhone is sold in the Apple Store in New York, it adds far more to US GDP than to China's.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    It’s all or nothing for Boris now. Only the EU can rescue him. My bet is that we’ll hear a massively more conciliatory tone from Number Ten in the coming days.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    kyf_100 said:

CatMan said:

Ah, the exciting future of humanity. From being able to be in New York in a little over three hours on the Concorde in '76, to taking sixteen days in 2019. Progress!
    Does the UN or which ever body she’s visiting not have video link facilities?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    I couldn’t be less surprised about Wollaston. She’s an attention seeker (and rather good at it too) but has been heading this way for months. If not years.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before though: there is no tent into which she won’t piss.

So the Lib Dems should be careful.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    edited August 2019
    On Greta Thunberg, that yacht journey won’t be pleasant. There’s no room. No proper nice food and (literally) just a pot to piss in.

She’ll also get unpleasantly sea sick at times, and very bored. Particularly since conversing with the crew won’t exactly be her forte. It’ll be a long two weeks.

I have a modicum of respect for her doing it as a result, which isn’t just virtue-signalling as it’s going to cost her something unlike the rather loathsome Emma Thompson, but is hardly a practical solution to intercontinental travel.

That needs to focus on renewable/low carbon energy for ships and planes and, if I were going to wave the flag, I’d focus on those rather than show I’m willing to wear the hairiest shirt in town.
This discussion has been closed.