Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the WH2020 Democratic nomination race those paying the leas

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

That Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon. The guy must be concerned now that his company is going tits up and the bailifs will be calling shortly. Time for Boris to go in and get a better strike price out of him. And get building the bloody thing.

QA

The trick was to do both Swansea and Cardiff. The strike price then could be fifteen below Hinckley C. It was on offer.

The Civil Servants blocked it.
    Greg Clark took the decision and rejected it, not civil servants.
    Greg Clark was steered terribly. I know rather a lot about it.

It was one of the biggest errors of May's term. She could have had 1.2 million homes in Wales powered by tidal power. That's pretty much all of them. A huge thing to trumpet. Proper green credentials. For buttons.

Instead, she writes a cheque for a trillion quid. To do what? Who knows.

And worse, she had political cover. Labour wanted the barrages. They still do. Corbyn referenced it in his first encounter with PM Boris.

Indeed. Corbyn was up in Liverpool calling for something similar in Liverpool Bay in the past week.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

As I said earlier Boris is scaring the socks of me and judging by the reactions of those who want to remain, the SNP and labour supporters he is doing the same

However, the big question to ask is

'Has Boris caught the mood of the Nation'

And I expect that will become more obvious one way or another as his opposition leave the field of play open for him for six weeks while they enjoy their summer holidays

You make it sound like only the opposition parties break from the HoC for summer whilst the Tories soldier on through August.
    The cabinet are required to work 7 days a week through these summer holidays
    Have you got some evidence for that?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

Parliament returns on September 3rd

To call a GE they would have to VoNC the Government. There are then 14 days to form a new Government at the end of which a GE is called if no new Government has been formed which commands the support of the House.

The minimum election campaign by law is then 25 working days which takes you to Tuesday 22nd October. I assume they would stick with the Thursday date so the earliest you could hold an election is Thursday 24th October. Has he forgotten that it is 25 working days not 25 days for the campaign?
    If Johnson wants a GE he seeks and gains the necessary 2/3 HoC majority by September 5th.
    But in order to do that he would have to seek an extension of A50 as neither the opposition parties or the Gawkward squad would allow an election to take place a couple of weeks before a potential no deal exit.
    I am not sure that's necessarily true. Rightly or wrongly, Corbyn will think he can win the election and seek an extension as one of his first acts as PM.
    Surely the temptation to force Boris to eat his do or die commitment will be too strong. It would get his campaign off to a terrible start. He would be seen to go back on hjos commitment not to hold an election and also his "no ifs no buts" promise to leave by October 31 "come what may."
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    According to the guardian , the Lib Dems are not using the bollox to Brexit in the Welsh by election.
    As it is not going down well with many of the locals.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    dixiedean said:

As I said earlier Boris is scaring the socks of me and judging by the reactions of those who want to remain, the SNP and labour supporters he is doing the same

And I expect that will become more obvious one way or another as his opposition leave the field of play open for him for six weeks while they enjoy their summer holidays

I don't know who it was mentioned music hall comedians a few days ago. How they could tour the country doing the same act. Whereas TV burned through a routine in a night.
    My gut feeling is Boris fans will love him. Haters will hate him. The group in the middle will need to see some progress, rather than the same lines over and over again.
    I expect he intends sticking to a hard line and making the EU look like they are holding us 'hostage'

It is very scary and I only hope there is a meeting of minds to compromise, but I think the idea we may remain is receding considerably in the eyes of the voting public
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited July 2019
    Well I've only gone and done it. I've just handed my notice in at work and I am going back to university to study law!

Anxious but exciting times lie ahead.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,284
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

That Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon. The guy must be concerned now that his company is going tits up and the bailifs will be calling shortly. Time for Boris to go in and get a better strike price out of him. And get building the bloody thing.

QA

The trick was to do both Swansea and Cardiff. The strike price then could be fifteen below Hinckley C. It was on offer.

It was one of the biggest errors of May's term. She could have had 1.2 million homes in Wales powered by tidal power. That's pretty much all of them. A huge thing to trumpet. Proper green credentials. For buttons.

And worse, she had political cover. Labour wanted the barrages. They still do. Corbyn referenced it in his first encounter with PM Boris.

Indeed. Corbyn was up in Liverpool calling for something similar in Liverpool Bay in the past week.
    Even Corbyn is right on some things.

The truth is with our climate and limited land mass, plus the huge tidal currents generated off our coast every few hours , tidal power is a vital resource that we should be working hard to exploit. Instead, it's being completely ignored. Terrible mistake.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

QA

The truth is with our climate and limited land mass, plus the huge tidal currents generated off our coast every few hours , tidal power is a vital resource that we should be working hard to exploit. Instead, it's being completely ignored. Terrible mistake.
    I am pretty confident Boris is on it. The significance and relative ease of the project will not be lost on him.
  • Options
    Dominic Raab just makes up any old bullshit whenever he's asked a tricky question - he's clearly been watching too much Trump.
  • Options

Well I've only gone and done it. I've just handed my notice in at work and I am going back to university to study law!

Congrats and good luck!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

According to the guardian , the Lib Dems are not using the bollox to Brexit in the Welsh by election.

Famers who spend their lives castrating lambs not impressed by the idea of extra bollocks?
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

To call a GE they would have to VoNC the Government. There are then 14 days to form a new Government at the end of which a GE is called if no new Government has been formed which commands the support of the House.

The minimum election campaign by law is then 25 working days which takes you to Tuesday 22nd October. I assume they would stick with the Thursday date so the earliest you could hold an election is Thursday 24th October. Has he forgotten that it is 25 working days not 25 days for the campaign?
    If Johnson wants a GE he seeks and gains the necessary 2/3 HoC majority by September 5th.
    But in order to do that he would have to seek an extension of A50 as neither the opposition parties or the Gawkward squad would allow an election to take place a couple of weeks before a potential no deal exit.
    I am not sure that's necessarily true. Rightly or wrongly, Corbyn will think he can win the election and seek an extension as one of his first acts as PM.
    Surely the temptation to force Boris to eat his do or die commitment will be too strong. It would get his campaign off to a terrible start. He would be seen to go back on hjos commitment not to hold an election and also his "no ifs no buts" promise to leave by October 31 "come what may."
    OTOH Labour would look pretty silly if they are seen to reject Boris's offer of a GE.
  • Options

Good luck. Which uni, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm frequently tempted to join you. But I don't know if I ever will.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

QA

Yes. It is one area where we are ideally placed to lead the World in the technology. It is worth doing, purely because we can. Look at Iceland. They didn't worry whether geo-thermal energy was proven to be effective.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Northumbria University. I didn't really have much choice because I live in Newcastle with my girlfriend and my alma mater (Newcastle University) don't offer the course I wanted.

Shame to miss out on the alumni discount..!

I've been saving hard for the last 2 years for this and luckily my girlfriend is being very supportive.

I'm 27 now so it was really now or never.

I'm going to be at uni 4 days a week and volunteering at Citizens Advice 1 day.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    What's the "trillion quid" comment about regarding the 'garden lagoon' ?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

QA

Yes. It is one area where we are ideally placed to lead the World in the technology. It is worth doing, purely because we can. Look at Iceland. They didn't worry whether geo-thermal energy was proven to be effective.
    Worst case scenario is it just becomes an interesting historical curio that generates its bit of power and people come to see to learn about 21st century industrial heritage. It is not going to despoil the environment or endanger life.

As I've said before, I'd like them to use some of the water pressure to create a water jet like Geneva, but perhaps that's a bit of a frivolous use of it.
  • Options

You make it sound like only the opposition parties break from the HoC for summer whilst the Tories soldier on through August.
    Have you got some evidence for that?
    I was of the understanding it is common knowledge
  • Options

Dominic Raab just makes up any old bullshit whenever he's asked a tricky question - he's clearly been watching too much Trump.
    He is a dreadful appointment - almost as bad as Grayling !!!!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Northumbria University. I didn't really have much choice because I live in Newcastle with my girlfriend and my alma mater (Newcastle University) don't offer the course I wanted.

I've been saving hard for the last 2 years for this and luckily my girlfriend is being very supportive.

Many good wishes. It is a courageous and enterprising thing to be doing, best of luck. And you get to stay in Newcastle. Bonus.
    Dial down on the "27 so now or never" though...you'll depress your elders.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

But then Hanretty is still wrong because in that case the earliest we could have an election is 25 working days after September 5th which October 10th. I don't see where he gets this arbitrary number of October 17th from.
    I rather agree - though he may be assuming that a few days would also be needed to tie things up pre-Dissolution etc.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

QA

Worst case scenario is it just becomes an interesting historical curio that generates its bit of power and people come to see to learn about 21st century industrial heritage. It is not going to despoil the environment or endanger life.

As I've said before, I'd like them to use some of the water pressure to create a water jet like Geneva, but perhaps that's a bit of a frivolous use of it.
    Boris is known to be a fan of water cannons.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

OTOH Labour would look pretty silly if they are seen to reject Boris's offer of a GE.
    But if Boris rejected his conditions, Corbyn could seek a GE via VNOC instead.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If you are already a graduate, I assume you are embarking on the Graduate Diploma course for non-law Graduates?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

What's the "trillion quid" comment about regarding the 'garden lagoon' ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48540004
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2019
    Yorkcity said:

It is an interesting article:

https://tinyurl.com/y5bll2xt

"Yet in this deeply split constituency, which voted 52% leave, there is no “bollocks to Brexit” on any Lib Dem leaflet, nor any mention of leaving the EU at all."

Or

"Dodds is cautious in the way she talks to voters about Brexit, restricting herself to discussing the perils of no deal and its effect on the constituency’s sheep farming and automotive workers ... Unlike many MPs, and some of the activists who have come to the constituency to campaign, hoping to help stop Brexit, she says the 2016 referendum made her resolve to listen more."

It sounds like a characteristic "all things to all people" LibDem by-election campaign.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,629

ydoethur said:

Best wishes for your change of direction. I'm sure some of the PB legal community will be able to offer some tips along the way.

For any other PBers thinking of a return to academia, then the part-time OU route is a bit of a cake and eat it approach, since you can stick with your job and study. Doesn't leave much time for anything else mind, and takes twice as long. Worked well for me though.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

If you are already a graduate, I assume you are embarking on the Graduate Diploma course for non-law Graduates?
    Yup! The idea is to GDL in year 1 and then a LLM LPC year 2 to qualify for the postgraduate loan assuming it still exists...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

Precisely. Labour can seek an extension if they win, so why should it be prejudged?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Best wishes for your change of direction. I'm sure some of the PB legal community will be able to offer some tips along the way.

For any other PBers thinking of a return to academia, then the part-time OU route is a bit of a cake and eat it approach, since you can stick with your job and study. Doesn't leave much time for anything else mind, and takes twice as long. Worked well for me though.
    Thank you very much. I've already been fortunate enough to receive some frank but very useful advice from @AlastairMeeks which has been much appreciated.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

And if Boris tried to hold an election and the HoC refused, or set conditions, he would be in an even deeper hole than if he had not tried. So the likelihood of him trying is pretty minimal. There is no escape for him through an election - he is completely trapped.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

QA

Boris is known to be a fan of water cannons.
    This is true. :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,682

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

Yup! The idea is to GDL in year 1 and then a LLM LPC year 2 to qualify for the postgraduate loan assuming it still exists...
    Fox Jr is doing that, quite hard work but he likes it. Best wishes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Terrible reception in Scotland for the Great Man.

Thought they'd be pleased and excited to see him up there.

He scuttled out by the back door, big jessie boy.
    BJ just can't handle people disliking him.

https://twitter.com/EdinReporter/status/1155889461991026695
  • Options

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

I did something similar at UEA in 1996/97. It was called Diploma in Legal Studies - just a one year course but VERY intensive! Essentially we completed two years of a Law Degree in a single Academic year . It covered all the core undergraduate subjects - Criminal - Tort - Cotract - Land - Equity & Trusts - Constitutional - European Law. We only omitted the Option subjects of undergraduate students. Very demanding indeed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

The time for her to do it will come.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Gosh these arguments seem awfully familiar. But Harris still needs to excite. She has been disappointingly pedestrian so far.

Despite Mike's reservations, I think this always has been and remains Biden's to lose. Someone needs to be totally on fire to take away the feeling that he is the one to beat Trump and that is all that matters.
    Can you think of one positive attributes Biden has that does not include the word "Obama"?
    Biden delivers a decent stump speech in a political system where that seems to matter. Harris and Warren are useless; Sanders is long winded. Trump can carry an audience. Obama and Clinton were two of the best speech makers of modern times. Reagan was very good too.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    edited July 2019

Congratulations!! Which university? And what sort of law do you want to do?

Ignore: I saw that you answered below.

Anyway, very best wishes to you. I hope it goes well and you enjoy it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

BoZo or Nippy to quit first?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    When asked about his remark during the campaign for the party leadership that the odds on a no-deal Brexit were a million to one, he said: “Provided there is sufficient goodwill and common sense on the part of our partners, that is exactly where I would put the odds.”

Absolutely! Lets see if the EU is willing to exercise common sense and goodwill rather than continuing to stubborly insist on no deal being the outcome to secure a backstop designed to prevent no deal. :confused:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Do you want one of your parvenu sovvy ring bets that it'll be well after BJ slinks off?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,290

ydoethur said:

Thank you very much. I've already been fortunate enough to receive some frank but very useful advice from @AlastairMeeks which has been much appreciated.
    I've been tempted to do that a few times since my specialisation has a bad habit of being useful but not necessarily for directly making people's lives better (if you get what I'm saying), but I can't help but think I might just not be looking hard enough.
  • Options

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:
    I don't get that.

And if Boris tried to hold an election and the HoC refused, or set conditions, he would be in an even deeper hole than if he had not tried. So the likelihood of him trying is pretty minimal. There is no escape for him through an election - he is completely trapped.
    I disagree. He is not trapped. He calls an election and Corbyn will have no choice.

The election is likely to be on who governs the UK

I have no idea how it will end though
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

I did something similar at UEA in 1996/97. It was called Diploma in Legal Studies - just a one year course but VERY intensive! Essentially we completed two years of a Law Degree in a single Academic year . It covered all the core undergraduate subjects - Criminal - Tort - Cotract - Land - Equity & Trusts - Constitutional - European Law. We only omitted the Option subjects of undergraduate students. Very demanding indeed.
    I did the same when I studied for the Bar: a one year course. Then a year at Bar School learning about evidence, civil & criminal procedure and similar. It was intense but I loved it. And I volunteered at the same time at the North Kensington Law Centre so learnt a lot about the practicalities of crime and housing law. This was before the Notting Hill area became chi-chi and there was still a lot of poor housing (Google the Clanricarde Gardens fire) and exploitation of mostly black tenants. I learnt as much from the volunteering as from the study. And then I taught law for a year to business students.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    @GG Good luck with your career move. You won't regret it!
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Well that was a thoughtful contribution. Murray Foote must be so proud of himself.
  • Options
    What kind of insecure 55-year old pillock gets a jacket with Prime Minister written on it? It's the sort of thing a 5-year old might wear if photographed outside 10 Downing Street. Not a grown man.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Gosh these arguments seem awfully familiar. But Harris still needs to excite. She has been disappointingly pedestrian so far.

Despite Mike's reservations, I think this always has been and remains Biden's to lose. Someone needs to be totally on fire to take away the feeling that he is the one to beat Trump and that is all that matters.
    Can you think of one positive attributes Biden has that does not include the word "Obama"?
    He beats Trump on head-to-head polling.
    Because he has name recognition.

Donald Trump scores 43-44% against every opponent. Every single one.

The only difference is that there are far fewer don't knows when Biden is the candidate, because everyone knows Sleepy Joe.
    Wrong.

Trump scores only 39% v Biden in the latest poll
    https://www.scribd.com/document/419763495/Fox-News-Poll-July-25

Not sure which will be more amusing, the left's meltdown after the Boris victory party after defeating Corbyn, or the left's meltdown after the Trump victory party after beating Warren or Harris!
    Different groups, surely. The kind of left who would support Corbyn will be as depressed by the prospect of President Harris as they are by President Clinton
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Or "F*ck Business", if you want the shortened version.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cyclefree said:

What kind of insecure 55-year old pillock gets a jacket with Prime Minister written on it? It's the sort of thing a 5-year old might wear if photographed outside 10 Downing Street. Not a grown man.

https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1155934452326866944
  • Options
    I rate Nichola Sturgeon. But getting a face on at Boris for having the nerve to be alive, and chatting to the press about his choice of exit, whilst it will have an audience, is not a classy look.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

I want to study everything first before I decide which area I find most interesting however people keep pointing me in the direction of patent law because of my current profession in engineering but I'm not convinced. We'll see...

I'm most interested at the moment in land and housing law - things like leasehold, private estates, development and planning, tenant-landlord relationships...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    HYUFD said:

Not sure which will be more amusing, the left's meltdown after the Boris victory party after defeating Corbyn, or the left's meltdown after the Trump victory party after beating Warren or Harris!

If you're counting hard left social democrats like me in this I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

I will not be having a meltdown if Johnson were to beat Jeremy. I'll be disappointed but not surprised. I can see it going either way.

If Trump wins again, though, that will be sickening. Really not sure how I would cope with that. But the good news is I don't think I will have to.
  • Options

I rate Nichola Sturgeon. But getting a face on at Boris for having the nerve to be alive, and chatting to the press about his choice of exit, whilst it will have an audience, is not a classy look.

Its politics
  • Options
    @Gallowgate

Sounds great. Hope it goes well.

But less of the '27 so now or never.' I changed career at 30 and am contemplating doing so again aged 37.

You are never to old to branch out - I hope.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

I did the same when I studied for the Bar: a one year course. Then a year at Bar School learning about evidence, civil & criminal procedure and similar. It was intense but I loved it. And I volunteered at the same time at the North Kensington Law Centre so learnt a lot about the practicalities of crime and housing law. This was before the Notting Hill area became chi-chi and there was still a lot of poor housing (Google the Clanricarde Gardens fire) and exploitation of mostly black tenants. I learnt as much from the volunteering as from the study. And then I taught law for a year to business students.
    I actually took a year's sabbatical on an unpaid basis from my job as a Lecturer. The intention was to subsequently read for the Bar , but I was aleady 43 at the completion of the course and reached the sad conclusion that I had left it too late to seek pupillage and face the likely early barren years of practising !
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@Gallowgate

Sounds great. Hope it goes well.

But less of the '27 so now or never.' I changed career at 30 and am contemplating doing so again aged 37.

You are never to old to branch out - I hope.

Sorry! That's very encouraging to hear to be honest.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Thank you!

I want to study everything first before I decide which area I find most interesting however people keep pointing me in the direction of patent law because of my current profession in engineering but I'm not convinced. We'll see...

I'm most interested at the moment in land and housing law - things like leasehold, private estates, development and planning, tenant-landlord relationships...
    Other half is a planning barrister and has worked in local authority planning so if you ever need some advice/insight just VM me. He lived in Durham for a while and taught there so knows your area well. I'm sure he'd be happy to help over a pint or two.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

It's in the style of Football managers. Something the metropolitan elite can sneer at, but the Match of the Day watching millions will be very familiar with and think nothing of it.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Interesting reading how Dodd’s is framing the campaign over a no deal and not making a big thing over stopping Brexit.

I think this is a good plan. The Lib Dem stance as clearly pro Remain is well known already .
  • Options

Well that was a thoughtful contribution. Murray Foote must be so proud of himself.
    As ex editor of the Daily Record and author of the Vow he has more currency in Scotland than BJ.
    Which isn't saying much admittedly.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Interesting reading how Dodd’s is framing the campaign over a no deal and not making a big thing over stopping Brexit.

I think this is a good plan. The Lib Dem stance as clearly pro Remain is well known already .

It is very close to Labour's position!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

The leader has no plan, so he tells his underlings to stop taking days off. It's like a masterclass in British mismanagement.
  • Options

I disagree. He is not trapped. He calls an election and Corbyn will have no choice.

Completely agreed!

Corbyn doesn't just have no choice, he has no tact, no nous, and wants one. He will happily agree to it, no conditions.

But lets not forget what happened in 2017. May announced the election and the media were immediately on an election footing. Any LOTO that rejected an election would be eaten alive.

Gordon Brown suffered a terminal blow to his credibility when he flaked on holding the election that never was and chose to continue to be PM without one instead. A LOTO who cancelled an election and chose to continue to be LOTO instead would be a laughing stock.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

It is characteristically dishonest.

It is dishonest because she wants to stop Brexit, but she doesn't say so because it will lose her votes.

I understand all parties are dishonest (certainly Corby's 2017 manifesto was, and Bojo has set new standards in dishonesty over the last few days).
  • Options

So Bozo is allowed to go round shouting no deal , suck it up. And you’re irritated because Sturgeon shows that she’s not impressed .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Which one? They've had more positions than there are in the Kama Sutra.
  • Options

Completely agreed!

Corbyn doesn't just have no choice, he has no tact, no nous, and wants one. He will happily agree to it, no conditions.

But lets not forget what happened in 2017. May announced the election and the media were immediately on an election footing. Any LOTO that rejected an election would be eaten alive.

Gordon Brown suffered a terminal blow to his credibility when he flaked on holding the election that never was and chose to continue to be PM without one instead. A LOTO who cancelled an election and chose to continue to be LOTO instead would be a laughing stock.
    Yep. If BJ decides he wants an election it's on.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Who is labour ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

It's in the style of Football managers. Something the metropolitan elite can sneer at, but the Match of the Day watching millions will be very familiar with and think nothing of it.
    It's a gift to Twitter though.

I expect to see 'useless tosser' mashups within the hour.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

No one is more 'metropolitan elite' than Boris.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The leader has no plan, so he tells his underlings to stop taking days off. It's like a masterclass in British mismanagement.
    Apparently they all have to plan for a no deal for their departments
  • Options

nico67 said:

It is dishonest because she wants to stop Brexit, but she doesn't say so because it will lose her votes.

I understand all parties are dishonest (certainly Corby's 2017 manifesto was, and Bojo has set new standards in dishonesty over the last few days).
    If you want honesty don’t bother following politics ! Admittedly things have become much worse over the last few years .
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

If there is such a thing as a metropolitan elite I struggle to see how Boris Johnson is not a leading part of it. Also no stranger to sneering, and worse, and always at people less privileged than himself.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Perhaps you can explain Labour's position because nobody else seems able to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Biden delivers a decent stump speech in a political system where that seems to matter. Harris and Warren are useless; Sanders is long winded. Trump can carry an audience. Obama and Clinton were two of the best speech makers of modern times. Reagan was very good too.
    Reagan came up with one of the best metaphors for the EU.

https://twitter.com/propertyspot/status/1154753605058080775?s=21
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Volunteering at Citizens Advice has been an eye-opener for me.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

If you want honesty don’t bother following politics ! Admittedly things have become much worse over the last few years .
    The LibDems are just repeating their mistakes of the past.

It is not a good plan to say one thing to get elected, and then do something different.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

You're right. I know nothing about football. I assume that a PM would aspire to behave like a PM - with some level of dignity, for the office, if not himself. But hey ho. Maybe that's out of fashion these days. To me it looks like insecurity.

I'm more angry that his FS has just been on the radio and elsewhere telling outright lies about what he said during the campaign in order to pretend that the 2016 vote was a mandate for a No Deal exit. He is a lawyer; according to his CV with a distinguished record (though I am sceptical) but nonetheless a lawyer and he has just flat out lied, repeatedly and flagrantly.

Still, maybe one should not be bothered about such things. Millions will think nothing of it, I dare say. Why should integrity and honesty count in public life?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Who has been consistent? Certainly not the Tories - and the Libdem line at B&R focussing on avoiding No Deal seems a departure from the firm Remain line.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Who has been consistent? Certainly not the Tories - and the Libdem line at B&R focussing on avoiding No Deal seems a departure from the firm Remain line.
    But, if you read the article, it is clear she wants to Remain, but she doesn't say so because it will lose her votes.

It is not that Dodds is inconsistent. She is dishonest.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

You said Labour had a position. I merely wanted to know what it was.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    How can Boris claim he wants a new deal if he is not prepared to spend the Summer meeting with EU leaders?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

You're right. I know nothing about football. I assume that a PM would aspire to behave like a PM - with some level of dignity, for the office, if not himself. But hey ho. Maybe that's out of fashion these days. To me it looks like insecurity.

I'm more angry that his FS has just been on the radio and elsewhere telling outright lies about what he said during the campaign in order to pretend that the 2016 vote was a mandate for a No Deal exit. He is a lawyer; according to his CV with a distinguished record (though I am sceptical) but nonetheless a lawyer and he has just flat out lied, repeatedly and flagrantly.

Still, maybe one should not be bothered about such things. Millions will think nothing of it, I dare say. Why should integrity and honesty count in public life?
    I am not sure about the insignia on Boris jacket.

It is a gift to those who want to mock him but it could be a means of identity if anything extraordinary happened like a terror attack
  • Options

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

But, if you read the article, it is clear she wants to Remain, but she doesn't say so because it will lose her votes.

If it's clear from the article that she wants to Remain it makes no difference if she says so or not.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    chloe said:

How can Boris claim he wants a new deal if he is not prepared to spend the Summer meeting with EU leaders?

Because if they say they will not change the deal then there is no new deal, so no point meeting them.
  • Options

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Perhaps you can explain Labour's position because nobody else seems able to.
    It’s like the Da Vinci Code ! Apparently it’s a people’s vote on a Tory deal or no deal and they’ll back Remain then but if in government they’ll try to get a Brexit deal so you could say that means they want to Brexit but that will be difficult as most of their MPs will be campaigning against a Labour deal if there’s another vote then and want to Remain but we’re not a hundred percent sure if they’ll put forward another vote then if they’re in government . And we’re not sure whether Corbyn will take a neutral stance and just go to his allotment for that time and let Labour MPs campaign for whatever they like.

In a nutshell don’t bother trying to understand the Labour position , as shadow cabinet members make it up as they go along , all say different things and it will probably change again soon.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821

ydoethur said:

Congratulations on your decision. Law is one of those professions that reward hard work and experience. I won't embarrass myself by saying how old I was when I did my latest degree, but I was considerably older than you. 27 may feel old at 27 but it isn't and I'm sure such a good investment of your time now will create greater wealth in the future. Well done and good luck

[PS Don't fuck it up... :) ]
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott’s getting excited..
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not sure about the insignia on Boris jacket.

It is a gift to those who want to mock him but it could be a means of identity if anything extraordinary happened like a terror attack
    :wink: Nice try Big_G!

Tbf to Boris (why, I don't know) the jacket was probably just given to him by whoever was on the organising committee for the event, I doubt if he asked for it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Surely, that means he's an effective lawyer.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

chloe said:

Because if they say they will not change the deal then there is no new deal, so no point meeting them.
    And I guess he doesn't want headlines about him 'begging or grovelling' to EU/national leaders for a deal.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Justin.

The conservatives are the leave party.

The lib dems are the remain party. (Also SNP)

Labour are remain in London and leave in the north
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
  • Options
    chloe said:

They have to be prepared to meet him
  • Options

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

nico67 said:

If it's clear from the article that she wants to Remain it makes no difference if she says so or not.
    Not all (or even many) of the voters of B&R read the Guardian.

The article makes it clear that she does not tell voters she wants to remain. She tells voters that she wants to avoid a No Deal Brexit.

If the LibDems want to remain and want a People's Vote, then fine. Say so. Be proud of the policy. There is a constituency out there that believes that and wants to vote for it.

(But perhaps not a large constituency in Brecon & Radnorshire).

Sorry, it is just characteristic LibDemmery.
This discussion has been closed.