Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the marginals the presumption must that the more margina

13»

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

@Isam

My final thought on the subject

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

wtf? No wonder working class tories are flocking to UKIP!
    Its posh for 'increased ice cream sales lead to more wearing of bikinis'...

Talking about bikinis.

Bikinis are a lot like statistics, what they reveal, that's interesting, what they hide, that's much more fascinating

Here endeth my Swiss Toni impression.
    My grandpa occasionally used the phrase 'a politician's speech should be like a young lady's skirt: short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the important bits"
    That's the approach I used when writing my letters and PB threads.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Charles said:

isam said:

@Isam

Talking about bikinis.

Bikinis are a lot like statistics, what they reveal, that's interesting, what they hide, that's much more fascinating

My grandpa occasionally used the phrase 'a politician's speech should be like a young lady's skirt: short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the important bits"
    You write on here thinking about young ladies' skirts?

Ok, that explains a few things...

• Options
    Next said:

Charles said:

isam said:

@Isam

Talking about bikinis.

You write on here thinking about young ladies' skirts?

Ok, that explains a few things...

(Possibly NSFW)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=greyhound skirt
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

isam said:

@Isam

I thought UKIP were in favour of Grammar Schools and the like, what's wrong with a bit of erudition.

I consider it my contribution to the big society to remove that chip from your shoulder educate the masses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
    Perhaps if there had been Grammar schools when I was in my youth I would have learned Latin. I am sure it has educational benefits far beyond the learning of the language.

Maybe Cameron and Osborne should throw in a bit of Latin here and there and tell working class people who don't understand it they have a chip on their shoulder?!

• Options
    tim said:

isam said:

@Isam

Given that UKIP are on 15% among the over 65's wouldn't many of them be in bed when Question Time is on?

I wouldn't know, but with Sky+ & iplayer etc that isn't really a factor anymore

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

I thought UKIP were in favour of Grammar Schools and the like, what's wrong with a bit of erudition.

I consider it my contribution to the big society to remove that chip from your shoulder educate the masses.

Perhaps if there had been Grammar schools when I was in my youth I would have learned Latin. I am sure it has educational benefits far beyond the learning of the language.

Maybe Cameron and Osborne should throw in a bit of Latin here and there and tell working class people who don't understand it they have a chip on their shoulder?!

I'm a working class lad from the North.

I grew up on a large estate.

A large 300 acre estate.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

Don't think Dore is that working class :P
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited November 2013
    Robot Reeves strikes again .. what a tool..She is stating that 66% of those affected by the reduction spare room subsidy are disabled...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited November 2013
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

Don't think Dore is that working class :P
    I think we have the highest percentage of people employed in the Sheffield constituencies.

:-)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

I’d have thunk a basic knowledge of Latin would be rather useful , you must come across it routinely being in the legal profession?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Norman Smith - bits and bobs of green - taxes, levies, charges imposed by the state.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Robot Reeves strikes again .. what a tool..She is stating that 66% of those affected by the reduction spare room subsidy are disabled...

Nice to see you back mr dodd.

• Options
    Defining yourself has having having a disability under the DDA means pretty much nothing in the context of how many bedrooms people need.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

I’d have thunk a basic knowledge of Latin would be rather useful , you must come across it routinely being in the legal profession?
    Indeed, Latin, inter alia, is one of three languages that I use on a daily basis.

English and Urdu being others.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

Indeed, Latin, inter alia, is one of three languages that I use on a daily basis.

I thought the legal profession was trying to ditch latin...
  • Options
    I don't suppose the 375,000 households that live in overcrowded social housing are predominantly Tory voters though.

Some people are taking more of the finite resources that are available than they really need - and they are doing it to the detriment of others who are more desperately in need.
  • Options
    tim said:

Defining yourself has having having a disability under the DDA means pretty much nothing in the context of how many bedrooms people need.

And

". If disability is defined as having any long-standing illness, disability or infirmity that
    leads to a significant difficulty with one or more areas of the individual’s life, the
    equivalent figures to those in the table above would be that 370,000 (56%) of
    working age social rented sector HB claimants or their partners affected by the
    size criteria would be classified as disabled"

Whichever way you look at this its yet another Cameron policy aimed squarely at disabled people while pensioners "spare rooms" don't count (they vote tory in larger numbers, and Dave did the disability photoshoots before the last election, interest has waned as it always does with the fake)
    I'd like to see the 'long term stress' and 'back problems' breakdown of that lot...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

I thought the legal profession was trying to ditch latin...
    Like a Japanese Soldier on a desert Island in the Pacific I'm still holding out and fighting World War 2.

Now I'm off to wow some people with my command of German.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

I don't suppose the 375,000 households that live in overcrowded social housing are predominantly Tory voters though.

Some people are taking more of the finite resources that are available than they really need - and they are doing it to the detriment of others who are more desperately in need.

True but most of those doing so are pensioners and therefore exempt from IDS's attack on the disabled .
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I can only think this stunt by Reeves is a Unite request ?

Madness.
  • Options
    The other key thing at this election will be what is happening in areas where local elections are held on the same day where turnout could well be even higher for those reasons too.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    isam said:

tim said:

isam said:

@Isam

Given that UKIP are on 15% among the over 65's wouldn't many of them be in bed when Question Time is on?

I wouldn't know, but with Sky+ & iplayer etc that isn't really a factor anymore

A TV in the bedroom if one isn't as mobile as one once was is a great boon!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2013
    Scrapheap_as_was • November 4
    £5.87 - that'll do for me Vince and for that reason, I'm out.
    Thanks v much.

We PB Tories don't get everything wrong... ahem. RMG at 550p now.
    Unlike Hunchman, I believe I posted I'd advised clients to start buying when FTSE dipped below 5,000 too.

Still a long-term loser though as a Spurs fan.
  • Options
    A rumour could start...

tim • Posts: 12,997
    1:44PM
    Hodges -why the rise in Ed Milbands ratings is bad news for Ed Miliband

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100245585/voters-are-starting-to-like-ed-
    miliband-but-they-still-dont-think-hes-prime-minister-material/

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB2m
    How a good poll can be a bad poll - when it's a post by @DPJHodges on Ed Miliband
    http://goo.gl/uU4aw1
    Yawn
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Re the bedroom tax,

I was talking to a housing officer last week and he was against it as he is very left wing.

But I was amazed about the modern definition of overcrowding. I grew up in a three bedroom council house and as there was only eight of us (nine for a couple of years when our cousin came to stay), we didn't consider ourselves over-crowded. There were fourteen in one house up the road.

Four Yorkshiremen would fit into a ten foot by six bedrooms easily.
  • Options
    Ey up.

A nine by seven foot bedroom? Luxury!

When I were a lad we had to make do with sheltering in a hole covered by some tarpaulin.

[More seriously, there's nothing wrong with a bedroom that size, unless you're over 9' tall].
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    @Tim: Are there figures for how many of the 370,000 need a spare room to store mobility equipment or dialysis machines etc?
  • Options

Ey up.

A nine by seven foot bedroom? Luxury!

When I were a lad we had to make do with sheltering in a hole covered by some tarpaulin.

[More seriously, there's nothing wrong with a bedroom that size, unless you're over 9' tall].

Well quite - 9ft by 7ft is a small, but reasonable room size for a bedroom – Mr Senior would have us believe that a teenager who presently has to share with a younger sibling, should decline the offer of their own bedroom on the grounds that it was ‘too small’ – Speaking from experience, I think he may find they’d beg to differ.

• Options
    Mr. England, did you know that Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Hannibal could all be classed as disabled?

Alexander had a twisted spine and epilepsy, Caesar was also epileptic and may have had Crohn's, and Hannibal was blind in one eye.

And that's without getting on to modern chaps like Tamerlane (two of his limbs were frail) and Nelson.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dancer,

The council estate was in Lincolnshire, not Yorkshire, so we had a better quality of tarpaulin.
  • Options
    tim said:

Who thinks housing benefit is only paid to people who don't work?

No idea, certainly not me
  • Options

Mr. England, did you know that Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Hannibal could all be classed as disabled?

Alexander had a twisted spine and epilepsy, Caesar was also epileptic and may have had Crohn's, and Hannibal was blind in one eye.

And that's without getting on to modern chaps like Tamerlane (two of his limbs were frail) and Nelson.

Yes that is true as you have posted it on here before more than once but none of those people were poor enough to have to claim housing benefit .
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@Isam

A large 300 acre estate.

Who asked?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    tim said:

But of course pensioners are exempt no matter how many spare rooms they have.

That is the killer fact IMO - this policy is not about people with spare bedrooms. If it were pensioners would be included - indeed they would be top of the list as they are more likely to have spare rooms as their children will have grown up and moved out.

This policy is about playing to the tabloid "scrounger" agenda. Nothing more and nothing less.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,320

tim said:

That is the killer fact IMO - this policy is not about people with spare bedrooms. If it were pensioners would be included - indeed they would be top of the list as they are more likely to have spare rooms as their children will have grown up and moved out.

This policy is about playing to the tabloid "scrounger" agenda. Nothing more and nothing less.
    While you may have a point, I have no issue with pensioners being exempt. Much more traumatic (and Daily Mail-fodder) for a pensioner to be thrown out of their homes than younger families.

But I think the main point is that there are families on housing waiting lists who desperately need adequate housing.

while @tim has a point about the government (all governments) not having addressed the housing shortage so in some cases it is problematic for eg. a forced downsizer to find an appropriate smaller property, the principle is correct. And conversely I really don't think all the scare stories are legitimate or that there is a dialysis machine in the extra room of every household affected by this measure.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Thank you TJ..
  • Options
    Very robust performance from Webb, I thought, and probably better than IDS would have done. IDS is at a Euro conference on Youth Unemployment 'not slinking away to Paris' as Reeves, screechy as ever, had it.

Clearly passion on both sides - but the most revealing comment came from Dame Anne Begg - social housing is viewed as 'a home for life' - the often unspoken assumption behind Labour's position - not shared on the government benches - hence the mutual incomprehension over the 'unfairness' (or not) vis a vis private sector rented accommodation. - where no one views a rental as a 'home for life'.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The pensioner problem will sort itself - as in the fullness of time there wont be pensioners in 4 or 5 bedroom houses who haven't had their allowances cut. Unless people start popping out weans at 50.

So this is an interim anomaly which will taper away to zero.

So "calm down dear"

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

While you may have a point, I have no issue with pensioners being exempt. Much more traumatic (and Daily Mail-fodder) for a pensioner to be thrown out of their homes than younger families.

The sooner governments stop kowtowing to the Daily Mail agenda the better.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Did she really also claim that no disabled person could work?

• Options
    Floater said:

Did she really also claim that no disabled person could work?

No she did not but on the hand she did not claim that all disabled people were capable of being like Alexander , Hannibal , Julius Caesar or Nelson .
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, nobody claimed that, you silly sausage.

The point is disability isn't a one size term. Some disabled people can achieve incredible things, and some have difficulty with everything. That's the problem with treating them as a single group, there's huge variance within that group.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mr. Senior, nobody claimed that, you silly sausage.

The point is disability isn't a one size term. Some disabled people can achieve incredible things, and some have difficulty with everything. That's the problem with treating them as a single group, there's huge variance within that group.

It is IDS and his supporters on here who want to treat all disabled people as a single group and penalise them all the same .
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.