Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why many pollsters overstated LAB so much at the May Euros and

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Ah, Clegg. The chap who reneged on a manifesto promise for a referendum in order to have a three-line whip abstention on said referendum, arguing instead for a real one.

A real referendum, apparently, being In or Out.

He's not wrong about Boris. But the lack of awareness, or honesty, that pro-EU politicians never bothering to actually consult the electorate might just have sharpened anti-EU sentiment is not fantastic.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    Getting desperate, Clegg and now the Gorgon, when will Ruthie appear from hiding.
    She already has, waving a white flag.

Scots Tories’ ‘Operation Arse’ ends in surrender

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/boris-johnson-scots-tories-operation-arse-ends-in-surrender-leader-comment-1-4966021
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,028

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    Getting desperate, Clegg and now the Gorgon, when will Ruthie appear from hiding.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/boris-johnson-scots-tories-operation-arse-ends-in-surrender-leader-comment-1-4966021
    Yes but not been seen for weeks, it was the doormats that were commentating, she is conspicuous by her absence. For sure she will prostrate herself to Boris and accept any humiliation for supporting every other candidate but him. Be an almighty fight between her and Mundell to see who gets the tongue lickers position.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

If the EU had negotiated the exact same deal with Labour, it'd have been hailed as a triumph by Corbyn and co. I'm not certain the Tory front bench would have opposed it in quite the same way Labour has...
    The tribal Labour view that anything Tory = BAD is simply stronger in Labour than plenty of places elsewhere. The grand coalitions in Germany for instance, I don't think we could do anything like that here. And the reason is that for Labour a red rose on horse shit would be superior to a Tory cure for all cancer.

Pertinent are the tribal way May went about Brexit from the outset, refusing any sort of cross-party conversation or concessions (even after losing her majority) until way too late, and Labour's clinging to the hope of a re-run of Corbymania projecting them into power if only they could bring down the government and force a GE.

With different political circumstances and management a more co-operative outcome might have been possible.
    The only way Brexit was ever going to succeed was as a cross-party enterprise, with the full involvement of the Scottish and Welsh governments. May destroyed that glimmer of hope within days of attaining office.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Conversely, they have their excuse for not acting if they do not find against the party. They can moan on Twitter and off the record to journalists without acting to their hearts content, saying officially that while they are not super happy with the leader that the party was cleared, so no reason to do anything.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but not been seen for weeks, it was the doormats that were commentating, she is conspicuous by her absence. For sure she will prostrate herself to Boris and accept any humiliation for supporting every other candidate but him. Be an almighty fight between her and Mundell to see who gets the tongue lickers position.
    She was invisible in her trench, but the hand at the foot of the surrender flagpole was definitely Ruthie’s.

Arse-licking won’t get Ruthie or Mundell anywhere. Boris knows they despise him, and he is not a magnanimous man. He is a man child.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,504

The latest YouGov poll for The Times shows we are still very much in four-way split territory.

As ever, look at the trend not the snapshot: The Tories are back up to 25 per cent, the highest since mid-May, while the Brexit Party are down to 19 per cent, the lowest since mid-May, leaving the Lib Dems and Labour to battle it out for second, a fight which the latter is currently winning. The Greens are back down to 8 per cent - which is where they were in, you guessed it, mid-May.

It suggests that some of the dramatic changes seen since the European elections at the end of May, particularly on the right, may have been reversed. Although the chart above shows how volatile things can be.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think the idea the EU will not negotiate a deal on the succession of Boris is unrealistic.

The EU know they cannot just dismiss Boris as they would be blamed for the no deal outcome and the economic chaos that will hit right across the EU and of course here at home

Barnier was furious when he was told the WDA is dead but I suspect he is more concerned about his own legacy, as a no deal would be a personal disaster for him

It is perfectly possible the EU will put up the shutters but it is also possible that a deal of some form will be agreed

And to those who say there is no one in Brussels to deal with that is not true as long as Barnier and Junckers are in Office

Any further re-negotiation needs time and a change to the red lines. Tusk and Barnier will not undermine the new team, indeed they have endorsed them.
    All through this process people have wanted the EU to act in certain ways. It might well even have been to the EU's benefit to act in certain ways. But they never have, and do what they say even if we might think it helps neither side.

This is just a continuation of that. Even if action x would be better for us and them (which some no doubt dispute) they have already committed to do otherwise.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I think the idea the EU will not negotiate a deal on the succession of Boris is unrealistic.

The EU know they cannot just dismiss Boris as they would be blamed for the no deal outcome and the economic chaos that will hit right across the EU and of course here at home

Barnier was furious when he was told the WDA is dead but I suspect he is more concerned about his own legacy, as a no deal would be a personal disaster for him

It is perfectly possible the EU will put up the shutters but it is also possible that a deal of some form will be agreed

And to those who say there is no one in Brussels to deal with that is not true as long as Barnier and Junckers are in Office

Any further re-negotiation needs time and a change to the red lines. Tusk and Barnier will not undermine the new team, indeed they have endorsed them.
    All through this process people have wanted the EU to act in certain ways. It might well even have been to the EU's benefit to act in certain ways. But they never have, and do what they say even if we might think it helps neither side.

This is just a continuation of that. Even if action x would be better for us and them (which some no doubt dispute) they have already committed to do otherwise.
    Hopefully the new EU lot will realise the UK holds all the cards.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Unless Scotland (or NI or Wales??) go for UDI, that seems unlikely. That is, of course, unless Brown expects Boris to be PM for a considerable amount of time.
    Why is Scottish independence contingent upon PM Johnson being in office for a considerable amount of time?

In what way is the Union safer under PM Corbyn, PM Farage, PM McDonnell or PM Other?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Conversely, they have their excuse for not acting if they do not find against the party. They can moan on Twitter and off the record to journalists without acting to their hearts content, saying officially that while they are not super happy with the leader that the party was cleared, so no reason to do anything.
    Genuine question: does the watchdog usually come up with an unambiguous report? I'd have thought it unlikely that they'd say "We had a good look and there's no problem, carry on" or "The party is riddled with racism from top to bottom and ought to be illegal", but rather that they'd do a 50-page analysis with a set of recommendations for improvement, and everyone will cherry-pick it for key sentences.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mirror and Express owner enters race to buy the i publisher
    Reach has submitted an indicative offer for JPI Media, which owns The Scotsman and Yorkshire Post, Sky News learns.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/mirror-and-express-owner-enters-race-to-buy-the-i-publisher-11765053

They will struggle to find a mug to take The Scotsman, it has been well and truly ruined.
    Mediahuis will wind it up or merge it with The Herald. The market is just too tiny to support two BritNat broadsheets.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Unless Scotland (or NI or Wales??) go for UDI, that seems unlikely. That is, of course, unless Brown expects Boris to be PM for a considerable amount of time.
    Why is Scottish independence contingent upon PM Johnson being in office for a considerable amount of time?

In what way is the Union safer under PM Corbyn, PM Farage, PM McDonnell or PM Other?
    I meant from a practical point of view. Just going on 2014, wasn't independence day going to be a day in March 2016?

What I'm saying is, for Boris to be the last PM of the UK, he'd need to be in power for a decent amount of time for it break up on his watch.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Someone should offer Sturgeon the job. It would solve a lot of issues ;)
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    On topic, those numbers are very strange. Support for both Labour and the Tories has plummeted since 2017, why has recall for one fallen so far and for the other actually increased slightly? YouGov's assumption seems to be that everyone was right back in 2017 and wrong now, but is there actually any evidence for that?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

The latest YouGov poll for The Times shows we are still very much in four-way split territory.

As ever, look at the trend not the snapshot: The Tories are back up to 25 per cent, the highest since mid-May, while the Brexit Party are down to 19 per cent, the lowest since mid-May, leaving the Lib Dems and Labour to battle it out for second, a fight which the latter is currently winning. The Greens are back down to 8 per cent - which is where they were in, you guessed it, mid-May.

It suggests that some of the dramatic changes seen since the European elections at the end of May, particularly on the right, may have been reversed. Although the chart above shows how volatile things can be.

The airwaves are completely taken up with leadership election, no not that one the Tory one. Labour s continued problems come second and although neither party’s image is, to many not good as they say any publicity....

The Lib Dems need a defection or two on election of the new leader and a convincing win in B&R and there will be another spike upwards. I’m not sure what gains TBP any publicity so would expect a slow downward drift until something happens.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Genuine question: does the watchdog usually come up with an unambiguous report? I'd have thought it unlikely that they'd say "We had a good look and there's no problem, carry on" or "The party is riddled with racism from top to bottom and ought to be illegal", but rather that they'd do a 50-page analysis with a set of recommendations for improvement, and everyone will cherry-pick it for key sentences.
    Quite. And as bad as some believe the situation to be I doubt any report will be be completely unequivocal.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    There is something a bit odd about this whole antisemitism business. The dog that did not bark in the night time in Corbyn's defence are the umpteen pro-Jewish EDMs he signed. Perhaps it is because there must also be some anti-Israel ones.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I meant from a practical point of view. Just going on 2014, wasn't independence day going to be a day in March 2016?

What I'm saying is, for Boris to be the last PM of the UK, he'd need to be in power for a decent amount of time for it break up on his watch.
    He will be the last pm before the process starts.
  • Options
    On “negotiation” - wouldn’t surprise me if Johnson hasn’t read the WA, let alone understood it. Then rocks up in Brussels with a list of “demands” only to have it patiently pointed out to him how each and every one is satisfied by the existing agreement.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,340
    nichomar said:

The airwaves are completely taken up with leadership election, no not that one the Tory one. Labour s continued problems come second and although neither party’s image is, to many not good as they say any publicity....

The Lib Dems need a defection or two on election of the new leader and a convincing win in B&R and there will be another spike upwards. I’m not sure what gains TBP any publicity so would expect a slow downward drift until something happens.
    That is a good point, if a GE *is* called then the Cons will have had weeks and weeks of pre-campaign campaigning. One factor why it might well be on the cards.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654

Is that recent movement just down to recent (or lack of) media coverage? Brexit party not in the news, lots for the Tories with leadership and consequently Brexit so movement from Brexit to Tories. Quiet on the LD front also. Key events coming up will surely be B&R and crowning of new PM
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    The key then will be who cherry picks best, and the predominant line that broadcast media will take.

You will.deny it, I'm sure, but do I detect your open supportivenesss of Corbyn has been replaced by a not openly unfriendly but more dispassionate phase in your contributions?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

So you think he'll be PM at the time of the next Sindy Ref? Even that I'm sceptical of.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Do you not remember making very similar posts this time last year about May?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    There is something a bit odd about this whole antisemitism business. The dog that did not bark in the night time in Corbyn's defence are the umpteen pro-Jewish EDMs he signed. Perhaps it is because there must also be some anti-Israel ones.
    His various controversial edms have been defended on here before as the signing of them being pretty meaningless, which presumably makes using others as counters harder.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

So you think he'll be PM at the time of the next Sindy Ref? Even that I'm sceptical of.
    Good point
  • Options
    Let's suppose Corbyn goes (either ousted or walks).

Sane Labour MPs will never back another far left nutcase to be on the shortlist. But how many MPs now are themselves the kind of clowns who would march under Stalin banners? The feeling I get is that McDonnell et al. have enough sway to get a candidate on the shortlist, but is that wrong, and who would they favour if they get the chance?
  • Options
    alex. said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

PM Sturgeon’s Queen’s speech: the Act of Dissolution 2020.

England gets to have William and Scotland gets King Harry, who will become the northern monarch before his southern big brother (hopefully).
  • Options
    I doubt the EU is even going to consider (re) negotiating with anyone without a high degree of certainty that the person they are negotiating with will be able to get agreements through the House of Commons. Why would they bother, and who at the moment could blame them? Short of turning up at a negotiation with multiple party leaders, the best that they are going to offer is a further extension. Albeit they will probably also demand a credible plan to achieve a majority. Which Johnson has ruled out.

BY the way did I read yesterday that Andrea Leadsom had said that she opposes prorogation to achieve Brexit? Wasn’t she the main person advocating it in the first place?
  • Options
    alex. said:

I doubt the EU is even going to consider (re) negotiating with anyone without a high degree of certainty that the person they are negotiating with will be able to get agreements through the House of Commons. Why would they bother, and who at the moment could blame them? Short of turning up at a negotiation with multiple party leaders, the best that they are going to offer is a further extension. Albeit they will probably also demand a credible plan to achieve a majority. Which Johnson has ruled out.

BY the way did I read yesterday that Andrea Leadsom had said that she opposes prorogation to achieve Brexit? Wasn’t she the main person advocating it in the first place?

They are trying to pretend that a strategically timed Queen’s speech is not prorogation.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite. And as bad as some believe the situation to be I doubt any report will be be completely unequivocal.

The EHRC has statutory powers to impose change. That is the big problem that the Labour leadership faces. if the EHRC says that the complaints process has to be independent, then that is what has to happen. And at that point, the far left is in deep, deep trouble. I don't think that many inside labour have begun to understand just how serious this is for the party's leadership.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,303
    It actually looks better to act now, than to appear to be spoiling Bozo's early days before he has made any mistakes.
  • Options
    The problem they have is that they must have serious doubts about whether Johnson really is serious about the idea. Or whether it is all his idea of a (poor) negotiating tactic. Because if the latter, then by acting they may just drive him further into the arms of the ERG.
  • Options

Do you not remember making very similar posts this time last year about May?
    Hope is the last thing to die. Ask Ruth.
  • Options

Let's suppose Corbyn goes (either ousted or walks).

Sane Labour MPs will never back another far left nutcase to be on the shortlist. But how many MPs now are themselves the kind of clowns who would march under Stalin banners? The feeling I get is that McDonnell et al. have enough sway to get a candidate on the shortlist, but is that wrong, and who would they favour if they get the chance?

The problem is that they need to find a single candidate and right now the far left is split. They can definitely get one candidate, but they can't get two - so who to pick? Someone with anti-Brexit credentials, for example, or someone who has been much more pro-Brexit? A Lexiteer is going to struggle to get elected, given the very broad pro-EU consensus among the members. This is why Corbyn has not already gone and it's why he will stay - even after Labour loses the next GE.

• Options

You can't say "reversed" when you compare April (just a few months back!) with now. Yes, there's been a bit of an unwind, as you'd expect, and principally driven by the BXP falling from the headlines as the Tory contenders talk hardball on Brexit.

B&R and likely rebellions and defections are coming.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

This is all MoE territory. The big four, think about that for a start looking back just six months, all hovering about 22% give or take a few points and largely seen through the BREXIT prism.

The fluidity of our politics is a sight not seen since the early 1920's and frankly it's the most volatile I've ever known.

On B&R by-election I was chatting with a well placed Tory yesterday evening and they've already written off the seat completely and are preparing their excuses for the inevitable bad headlines of Boris enjoying the shortest political honeymoon ever.

All will be blamed on continuing BREXIT uncertainty that Boris hasn't had time to fix, typical mid term blues and understandable misgivings over the candidate.
  • Options

alex. said:

They are trying to pretend that a strategically timed Queen’s speech is not prorogation.
    Imagine the security operation that would have to be in place for a Queens Speech immediately after a crash out Brexit! The Queen (or more likely Charles) would have to go to Westminster via the secret tunnels! And i’ve a feeling the ceremonial aspects involving Black Rod would actually cease to become ceremony! The Commons might actually refuse to open the doors!

• Options
    IanB2 said:

You can't say "reversed" when you compare April (just a few months back!) with now. Yes, there's been a bit of an unwind, as you'd expect, and principally driven by the BXP falling from the headlines as the Tory contenders talk hardball on Brexit.

Snap.
  • Options
    What are the rules governing impeachment in Parliament these days?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Aha! I see what you mean.

Considering that PM Boris is only likely to be in office for a matter of weeks or months, Gordon Brown’s hyperbole is unlikely to be true. Some other mug is going to be landed with the wrong place in the history books, just as mad George lost America (he was actually just in the wrong place at the wrong time when the music stopped).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,028

alex. said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

England gets to have William and Scotland gets King Harry, who will become the northern monarch before his southern big brother (hopefully).
    That we can do without. Lizzie maybe but we don't need the freeloaders.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The LDs are doing very well indeed to be holding at 20%. It all looks very set-up for tactical voting on an unprecedented scale.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

That is a good point, if a GE *is* called then the Cons will have had weeks and weeks of pre-campaign campaigning. One factor why it might well be on the cards.
    It is not just having been in the news 24x7 that benefits Conservatives, it is all the match practice they've been getting. The Conservative debates (and many hustings) are on Youtube. Look at how much Boris improved from the Channel 4 debate to the BBC one.

That is the trouble with Lynton Crosby's "hide the leader" strategies. Campaigning is a skill and like all skills, needs practice. It is why Corbyn was so far superior to May last time.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Imagine the security operation that would have to be in place for a Queens Speech immediately after a crash out Brexit! The Queen (or more likely Charles) would have to go to Westminster via the secret tunnels! And i’ve a feeling the ceremonial aspects involving Black Rod would actually cease to become ceremony! The Commons might actually refuse to open the doors!

A medieval state might end up with a cruelly medieval comeuppance.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The LDs are doing very well indeed to be holding at 20%. It all looks very set-up for tactical voting on an unprecedented scale.

To defeat the Tories will need a big shift to the LDs in the South with Labour holding in its northern and South Wales strongholds (generalising horribly). It's why Labour not going full-on remain prior to an election is actually helpful.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    nichomar said:

I’m not sure what gains TBP any publicity so would expect a slow downward drift until something happens.

Personally I'm expecting them to rise a touch in November.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Ah, Clegg. The chap who reneged on a manifesto promise for a referendum in order to have a three-line whip abstention on said referendum, arguing instead for a real one.

He's not wrong about Boris. But the lack of awareness, or honesty, that pro-EU politicians never bothering to actually consult the electorate might just have sharpened anti-EU sentiment is not fantastic.

It was never a serious proposal by Clegg.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    alex. said:

What are the rules governing impeachment in Parliament these days?

Boris Johnson tried to impeach Blair over Iraq didn’t he?

Edit - He did

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/6562003.boris-impeach-blair-over-iraq/
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It was the Norwegian settlement, after their successful independence referendum in 1905. They took the younger of the Danish princes as their monarch. His big brother only became monarch in Copenhagen long after his wee brother had been installed on the new throne in Oslo.

Harry strikes me as being more suited to the Scots than the über-English William.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Article 50 provides for an extension so long as: “the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.”

Does this necessarily require a date for the end of the extended period, or could it be sine die?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    IanB2 said:

All this uncertainty about what Bozo might or might not do. Where is HY when we need him?

A poll of PBers says HY is having a late breakfast and will be popping into town to do a bit of shopping later. So that answers that decisively.
  • Options
    Mr. F, are you suggesting the In/Out referendum desire was Clegg not being serious, or the Lisbon referendum promise was not serious?

For all the incompetence and dithering of the last few years, we got to that point because the 'sensible' political class integrated us far more than the country wanted (as we see with the difficulty of actually leaving, the argument's shifted from "The EU doesn't have too much power" to "Attempting to leave will destroy the economy and fragment the country").
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,186
    A 'brave' attempt to get in on that hot antisemitic southron action by oor Murdo.

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/1151551974015418371
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It was never a serious proposal by Clegg.
    It was idiocy, and contributed to the slippery slope that has resulted in this boorach.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    This last days of May seem to be interminable. It will be a relief when Boris takes over and that is words I never thought I would write.

Under normal circumstances few would have any interest in what Hammond was proposing because he just isn't that interesting. Given the parlous state of the Tory's notional majority, however, the question is whether he is willing to go as far as bringing down the government. My guess would be no (for a start that would be interesting) but we live in febrile times and doing so by mistake can't be ruled out.

Boris clearly doesn't want an election when his party is in disarray even if it gives him the chance to go up against Corbyn but it still seems the most likely outcome to me.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you think it's legitimate to blame England for the sadly high rate of Scottish drug use?

Incidentally, why do you think the usage of drugs is higher than the rest of the UK?

I wonder also why the UK general average is above that of the European average.
  • Options

A 'brave' attempt to get in on that hot antisemitic southron action by oor Murdo.

Cesspit Murdo: never knowingly out-manured.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I heard the idea yesterday - I think from Jeremy Vine - that Scots have been nudged into drugs by the alcohol minimum pricing law. No idea if it's true, but if it is it's a humdinger of an unintended consequence.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

It was the Norwegian settlement, after their successful independence referendum in 1905. They took the younger of the Danish princes as their monarch. His big brother only became monarch in Copenhagen long after his wee brother had been installed on the new throne in Oslo.

Harry strikes me as being more suited to the Scots than the über-English William.
    As every English rugby supporter will tell you Prince William is not über-English. This is him celebrating Wales beating England in the World Cup.

• Options
    Meanwhile, in incompetent politician (overseas) news:
    https://twitter.com/EU_Taxud/status/1151465268062957568
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ishmael_Z said:

I heard the idea yesterday - I think from Jeremy Vine - that Scots have been nudged into drugs by the alcohol minimum pricing law. No idea if it's true, but if it is it's a humdinger of an unintended consequence.
    I'm doubtful about that. Drugs are ridiculously cheap anyway.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The greater tendency of Scots to kill themselves with drugs predates the minimum pricing law so at most it is an aggravation. I do think, however, that there is some connection with our tendency to overindulge in alcohol too. It seems to be a part of the Scots psyche that seeks oblivion in chemicals.

What we are dealing with in any other context is a public health disaster but because it is only drug addicts that are dying not enough people seem to care. Some MSPs are going to Portugal to see what can be learned. Not before time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,771

Meanwhile, in incompetent politician (overseas) news:
    https://twitter.com/EU_Taxud/status/1151465268062957568

Feeling clever now, Leo?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Not that I'm doubting the expertise of some bloke, but that's a proposition for which I'd very much like to see the evidence.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    alex. said:

The problem they have is that they must have serious doubts about whether Johnson really is serious about the idea. Or whether it is all his idea of a (poor) negotiating tactic. Because if the latter, then by acting they may just drive him further into the arms of the ERG.

So what?

It's not clear just how much further toward the ERG he can go, but that aside, if enough quit, even with the ERG BoZo is stuffed.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Ishmael_Z said:

Not that I'm doubting the expertise of some bloke, but that's a proposition for which I'd very much like to see the evidence.
    As would I - but lets see the bigger picture. The number of chronic alcoholics in Scotland must surely outnumber the number of hard drug users by a factor of 50 or more.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

A bit of a non-sequitur. Drinkers might never have asked themselves the question of how else to get high. I'm not saying there is any evidence that actually happened, though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    Its very strange how when it comes to comments about jews, the investigation takes months and the committee to decide the outcome can only meet in a month with 6 Tuesdays. When it comes to those criticising the handling, it is like power rangers assemble.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,002
    edited July 2019

Ishmael_Z said:

It's a numbers game - the percentage of illegal drug takers is small so it would only take 2% of drinkers to try them for things to rapidly increase

And it's very often the case that change only occurs when things change and people start to question what to do. A suddenly increased price of cheap 2 litre bottles of cider may be such a question.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

To defeat the Tories will need a big shift to the LDs in the South with Labour holding in its northern and South Wales strongholds (generalising horribly). It's why Labour not going full-on remain prior to an election is actually helpful.
    The other big but nice problem they will have is if they are moping up targets and moving forward seats they will be into areas with little data and activist and it is hard to move activists from targets no matter how confident you are. The LD m/c is key and it will fall off a cliff edge once past a certain number of seats I suspect.
  • Options
    Ironically, in drawing a parallel with Nazi Germany, her ladyship sailed perilously close to antisemitism herself.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:

alex. said:

So what?

It's not clear just how much further toward the ERG he can go, but that aside, if enough quit, even with the ERG BoZo is stuffed.
    I think Boris will announce we're leaving with no deal as soon as he is elected next Tuesday. He thinks this will shock the EU into reopening the WA. But of course the EU won't budge and so he will then either have to climb down or face a VONC in September/October which he will lose. In either case it will be terminal for his premiership.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The greater tendency of Scots to kill themselves with drugs predates the minimum pricing law so at most it is an aggravation. I do think, however, that there is some connection with our tendency to overindulge in alcohol too. It seems to be a part of the Scots psyche that seeks oblivion in chemicals.

What we are dealing with in any other context is a public health disaster but because it is only drug addicts that are dying not enough people seem to care. Some MSPs are going to Portugal to see what can be learned. Not before time.
    The interviews stated the issue was with 35 plus year olds with years of abuse. If so nothing to do with alcohol pricing.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,002
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The other big but nice problem they will have is if they are moping up targets and moving forward seats they will be into areas with little data and activist and it is hard to move activists from targets no matter how confident you are. The LD m/c is key and it will fall off a cliff edge once past a certain number of seats I suspect.
    That's far more true for the Brexit party if targeting Northern Labour seats. Nigel just doesn't have the foot soldiers that may be required.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

As would I - but lets see the bigger picture. The number of chronic alcoholics in Scotland must surely outnumber the number of hard drug users by a factor of 50 or more.
    As I have said I don't think that this can be right as our problems pre-date the introduction of minimum pricing but it is a startling fact that on official figures drug use is now killing roughly 1/3 as many people as alcohol and at the current rate of increase it will become comparable within the next 10 years.
    https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/deaths/drug-related-deaths-in-scotland/2018

https://www.alcohol-focus-scotland.org.uk/alcohol-information/alcohol-facts-and-figures/
    I have a suspicion that these figures are not directly comparable since the alcohol figures cover those in which alcohol played a part (roughly 1/3 actually died of cancer brought on by drink for example). My guess is that if this broader criteria were used illegal drugs would already be comparable.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

A bit of a non-sequitur. Drinkers might never have asked themselves the question of how else to get high. I'm not saying there is any evidence that actually happened, though.
    I know someone who was continuously taking crystal meth for a fortnight last month. The crystal meth to do that cost him £50. At that price point, alcohol minimum pricing does not really feature.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Ishmael_Z said:

Possibly, though in a barrage of statistics, many of which gave the impression of being plucked from the air, someone or other said there are 60k problem drug users in Scotland; I'd certainly hope that there aren't 3m chronic alcoholics here!

One of the more depressing numbers out of several being touted was that for the first time drug deaths had outstripped alcohol related ones in Scotland. That may starkly highlight the difference between being addicted to a state regulated, quality controlled substance and one that isn't of course.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The interviews stated the issue was with 35 plus year olds with years of abuse. If so nothing to do with alcohol pricing.
    Yes the rapid increase in deaths is amongst older users but many of them abuse alcohol too.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Indeed. Alcoholism, obesity and sedentary lifestyles are the big killers in Scotland; and are often found in combination.

I find the relaxed attitude to drugs of many middle-class Scots replulsive. They happily condemn gang violence and misery, while having a quiet toke or snort at the weekends.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I know someone who was continuously taking crystal meth for a fortnight last month. The crystal meth to do that cost him £50. At that price point, alcohol minimum pricing does not really feature.
    £50 per dose, presumably? Heroin is horribly cheap at £10 a bag or even less but the cost per diem still exceeds alcohol.
  • Options
    eek said:

kjh said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

That's far more true for the Brexit party if targeting Northern Labour seats. Nigel just doesn't have the foot soldiers that may be required.
    I have flipped my opinion on this several times. Initially I thought they just don't have a ground game so will fail. Then I saw the numbers they got out in Peterborough and thought they could do it. However by all accounts they didn't. I don't understand that. They complained they didn't have the data, but in a by election with that number of troops you can do it. It is also difficult to believe that they don't have anyone who knows how to run a by election. But by all accounts they didn't seem to have a clue. Translate that nationwide at a GE and I think you are completely correct.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

Its very strange how when it comes to comments about jews, the investigation takes months and the committee to decide the outcome can only meet in a month with 6 Tuesdays. When it comes to those criticising the handling, it is like power rangers assemble.

Nope. this is just silly, with all due respect to our host: it compares apples (being a shadow minister) with pears (being a member)..Diane Hayter has been sacked from a Shadow Ministerial post for implicitly comparing her leader to Hitler. She remains a party member, indeed she remains deputy leader in the Lords. By contrast, people who allegedly make anti-semitic remarks are normally suspended from membership pending due process. It's not sensible to expect instant expulsion - that would simly generate judicial review.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

There is a huge problem in stoke with "monkey dust". It apparently cost £5 a pop and basically now dominants the market among the junkies and alkies, as it undercuts the costs of all legal and illegal alternatives.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

£50 per dose, presumably? Heroin is horribly cheap at £10 a bag or even less but the cost per diem still exceeds alcohol.
    No, £50 for his fortnight's supply.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Nope. this is just silly, with all due respect to our host: it compares apples (being a shadow minister) with pears (being a member)..Diane Hayter has been sacked from a Shadow Ministerial post for implicitly comparing her leader to Hitler. She remains a party member, indeed she remains deputy leader in the Lords. By contrast, people who allegedly make anti-semitic remarks are normally suspended from membership pending due process. It's not sensible to expect instant expulsion - that would simly generate judicial review.
    And how long again did it take to deal with ken? Despite all his comments being made openly on national tv.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Yes the rapid increase in deaths is amongst older users but many of them abuse alcohol too.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,831

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Peter Phillips played for the Scotland Schools rugby team.
  • Options

How long did it take to make a judgment about Chris Williamson?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So £3.51 per day?

Struggling to get smashed on alcohol at that price.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Wow. Does there ever come a point when we admit that the war on drugs is over and we lost, comprehensively, utterly and completely?
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, there're sometimes similar reports of monkey dust in various Yorkshire cities in local news.
This discussion has been closed.