Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Warren consolidates her position as the main challenger to Joe

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    HYUFD said:

The Brexit Party still get 13% under Boris with Yougov, they get 9% even if Boris delivers Brexit by October.

However Boris still wins a majority as he gets the Tories back to around 30% while Labour and the LDs are both on about 20 to 22% each with Labour still losing Remainers to the LDs while Boris wins back Leavers from the Brexit Party to the Tories

In a survey, that is little more than a snapshot, that you are giving far more weight to than anyone else.

As everyone else will tell you events, my dear boy, events.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    HYUFD said:

No, Boris wants to deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum. If he wins a general election by October he can do that
    You keep repeating this as if it’s Holy Writ. Where has Boris said this? Because I have not heard him say this in any of the interviews or debates.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No, Boris wants to deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum. If he wins a general election by October he can do that
    You keep repeating this as if it’s Holy Writ. Where has Boris said this? Because I have not heard him say this in any of the interviews or debates.

HYUFD believes Johnson is a liar.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    John Mann claiming he has had violent threats against him and his family by other Labour party members over his stance on antisemitism.
  • Options
    Germany's Angela Merkel seen shaking again in Berlin

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48784295

Dehydration my arse.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It was reported on Twitter last weekend as what Boris' advisers were planning and Portillo on This Week also said it was Boris would do and Portillo has connections with camp Boris
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

With Boris as the new PM on 24th July it's clear Theresa May doesn't want to carry the can for the B&R loss to the LibDems on 1st August.

Boris's honeymoon looks set to be shorter than the infant Ronnie Corbett.

The Tories could hold Brecon under Boris, Powys voted Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections
    The Tories could fly unicorns over the constituency but I doubt it.

TBP and Tories will split their vote and IMO it'll be a comfortable LibDem GAIN.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It was reported on Twitter last weekend as what Boris' advisers were planning and Portillo on This Week also said it was Boris would do and Portillo has connections with camp Boris
    So if it was on Twitter last week do you have a link?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

So in other words Boris has not said this and you’ve constructed this comforting fable about his plans on the basis of some hot air.

Righto. Glad that’s been cleared up.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It was posted on Twitter last week, then posted here, go back and look yourself
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/magnitsky/status/1144098935889375233

Its as if the Labour Party is rife with antisemitism....
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

With Boris as the new PM on 24th July it's clear Theresa May doesn't want to carry the can for the B&R loss to the LibDems on 1st August.

The Tories could hold Brecon under Boris, Powys voted Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections

TBP and Tories will split their vote and IMO it'll be a comfortable LibDem GAIN.
    The LDs may win it if TBP and the Tories split their vote but if Boris is leader when it is held the Tories will win back voters from TBP and have the chance of a shock Tory hold
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I will stick to Cyclefree's fable view. I'm not going to hunt for something that doesn't exist (in the same way that there is no agreed plan with the EU for an FTA)...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I will stick to Cyclefree's fable view. I'm not going to hunt for something that doesn't exist (in the same way that there is no agreed plan with the EU for an FTA)...
    It does exist, as RCS will attest as he commented on it at the time.

If you cannot be bothered to look for it that is up to you, Barnier has always been clear we can have a FTA for GB but not for the UK, a referendum on the backstop in NI is Boris' way to resolve that until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Scott_P said:
    I think it's hard to argue that Israel isn't a settler state, in the same way that most, if not all, of the Americas are as well as South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    That statement of Boris is interesting not only for the reason which Sam Gyimah rightly points out, but also because it shows that Boris is wanting to close his ears to any colleagues voicing concerns. It's almost as though he deliberately wants to force moderate Conservative MPs not to back him in a VONC (assuming that he's thought about the implications at all, of course).
  • Options
    Swinson v Davey LD leadership debate on Victoria Derbyshire now on BBC2
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Ok, so I know Leavers are stupid, etc etc, but, for the love of God, what does Grieve think he is playing at?

https://www.ft.com/content/6c5c70b8-98ad-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

Remainers voting to withhold funding for key public services? He thinks this is a good look? Really?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Interesting few days coming up. All attention on the Tory leadership battle but there is Glastonbury too and also the ongoing debate in Labour as to whether to make a firm commitment to Ref2.

These last two are related. Jeremy Corbyn's appearance on the main stage at Glasto in the summer of 2017 is something that we all remember. It was a high point. Peak Corbyn. Many people (myself included) joined the Labour Party on the back of that.

And now this year, on that same stage, Stormzy. Much anticipated, both for his set and what he might say about Brexit. My sources tell me that the message will be crystal clear. Stormzy is going to come out unequivocally for a second referendum with Remain as an option.

This will be televised live to a huge audience of potential Labour voters and therefore will significantly ramp up the pressure on Corbyn to make the pivot. I suspect it may well do the trick. Len McCluskey will not be happy but he will just have to suck it up this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Animal_pb said:

Ok, so I know Leavers are stupid, etc etc, but, for the love of God, what does Grieve think he is playing at?

Remainers voting to withhold funding for key public services? He thinks this is a good look? Really?

Brexit is our equivalent of Trump derangement syndrome. Normally sensible people have been sent bonkers.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Roger said:

nico67 said:

Except for the fact he’s made several derogatory remarks towards gay people so which Bozo is the real Bozo .

Or perhaps he supported gay marriage when it was politically expedient to do so . Johnson has no principles and there’s too much turd polishing by his supporters who want to forget his past history .

His entire past history is of throwing around colourful phrases for effect, without much thought for the consequences. Not a good attribute for a potential PM, to be sure, but who on earth could seriously think there was anything more to it than phrase-making?
    Interesting comment by Richard. When you think of the number of Labour Party officials currently under suspension for the careless use of words you do wonder what sets Boris's apart. 'Bunmboys' 'piccanninis' 'watermelln smiles' 'pillar-box muslims' etc

How should the average Hartlipudlian differentiate Bulingdon Boy Boris's 'Phrase Making' from racist tweets by Labour officials from Bootle?
    Maybe they can't.

But surely the point is that the average Hartlepudian already thinks the Tories are racist (and also sexist, homophobic and intolerant of various other minority groupings), whereas part of Labour's USP is that it isn't?

What's the point in voting Labour if they're just as backwards on social issues as their opponents?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

If you cannot be bothered to look for it that is up to you, Barnier has always been clear we can have a FTA for GB but not for the UK, a referendum on the backstop in NI is Boris' way to resolve that until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
    What would be the referendum question? Could it be sold as re-unification under a different name, and if so what happens if it doesn't go Boris' way?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

The LDs may win it if TBP and the Tories split their vote but if Boris is leader when it is held the Tories will win back voters from TBP and have the chance of a shock Tory hold
    Johnson will be leader by polling day, it’s almost already accounted for in any polling. How much have you put on the Tory’s to win B&R?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/magnitsky/status/1144098935889375233

Its as if the Labour Party is rife with antisemitism....
    Sounds utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Scott_P said:
    I think it's hard to argue that Israel isn't a settler state, in the same way that most, if not all, of the Americas are as well as South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
    And Singapore and Taiwan - it's not only Europeans that have created settler states.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Johnson will be leader by polling day, it’s almost already accounted for in any polling. How much have you put on the Tory’s to win B&R?
    The Tories were tied for the lead with the Brexit Party with Yougov yesterday and up 3% on the last poll, under Boris they take the lead from the Brexit Party
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

What would be the referendum question? Could it be sold as re-unification under a different name, and if so what happens if it doesn't go Boris' way?
    You may as well go straight for the border vote and reunification - for that would be the outcome...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

So TBP, who won the Powys Euro elections, will lose votes to the disqualified and convicted former MP now re-selected as the standard bearer of the party of law and order at a time when the Conservatives are polling nationally around half their 2017 vote and the LibDems more than double.

Well .... it's a plan .... :smiley:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No, it would be a referendum on the backstop to avoid a hard border with the Republic of Ireland.

If Northern Ireland voters reject the backstop and vote for a hard border with the Republic of Ireland that is Barnier and Varadkar's problem not Boris' (though Northern Ireland polls show most Northern Ireland voters back the backstop)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Interesting few days coming up. All attention on the Tory leadership battle but there is Glastonbury too and also the ongoing debate in Labour as to whether to make a firm commitment to Ref2.

These last two are related. Jeremy Corbyn's appearance on the main stage at Glasto in the summer of 2017 is something that we all remember. It was a high point. Peak Corbyn. Many people (myself included) joined the Labour Party on the back of that.

And now this year, on that same stage, Stormzy. Much anticipated, both for his set and what he might say about Brexit. My sources tell me that the message will be crystal clear. Stormzy is going to come out unequivocally for a second referendum with Remain as an option.

This will be televised live to a huge audience of potential Labour voters and therefore will significantly ramp up the pressure on Corbyn to make the pivot. I suspect it may well do the trick. Len McCluskey will not be happy but he will just have to suck it up this time.

Labour only held Peterborough by refusing to back EUref2, that has hardened Corbyn's position
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No, it would be a referendum on the backstop to avoid a hard border with the Republic of Ireland.

If Northern Ireland voters reject the backstop and vote for a hard border with the Republic of Ireland that is Barnier and Varadkar's problem not Boris' (though Northern Ireland polls show most Northern Ireland voters back the backstop)
    So voting for the backstop would be making NI even more 'different' from the 'Rest of UK"?

Can't see that going down well with the Unionist community. As I said, and Mr Eek posted, sounds like reunification by the back door.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Telegraph: "Concern over Angela Merkel's health as German chancellor seen shaking for second time this month"
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

So TBP, who won the Powys Euro elections, will lose votes to the disqualified and convicted former MP now re-selected as the standard bearer of the party of law and order at a time when the Conservatives are polling nationally around half their 2017 vote and the LibDems more than double.

Chris Davies got the highest Tory voteshare since the 1960s in Brecon and Radnor in 2017, he is a popular local MP and will stand again, only 10 000 voters signed the recall petition to try and get rid of him, almost all LDs given the LDs got 12 000 votes in Brecon and Radnor in 2017
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Not quite true, there were Jews in Israel over 1000 years ago and it is their historic home, there were not whites in the Americas, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand 1000 years ago
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Animal_pb said:

He is offering yet another chance for Parliament to "Take Back Control", which Brexiteers kept telling us was the point of this entire shitshow

If Parliament votes for a deal, we leave with a deal.

If Parliament votes for No Deal, we leave with no deal.

If Parliament does neither of those things, it runs out of money.

Sounds like a good incentive for MPs to finally pull the finger out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour only held Peterborough by refusing to back EUref2, that has hardened Corbyn's position

I do not see the point of Labour making the pivot unless and until there is a 'Brexit' general election.

At that point they should do it if - and only if - they judge it will increase their chances of winning. Otherwise, don't.

Meantime, just oppose any 'Tory' Brexit, let the crisis deepen.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    JackW said:

"TOTAL BREXIT - SHORTEST BREXIT!"
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

So voting for the backstop would be making NI even more 'different' from the 'Rest of UK"?

Can't see that going down well with the Unionist community. As I said, and Mr Eek posted, sounds like reunification by the back door.
    The backstop would only pass with some Unionist voters backing it ie moderate Unionists now voting Alliance Party, the DUP now only represent about a third of Northern Ireland voters.

It is a hard border which polls in Northern Ireland show make NI voters more likely to back reunification, not the NI backstop
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Telegraph: "Concern over Angela Merkel's health as German chancellor seen shaking for second time this month"

Is there no concern in the Telegraph that a dishonest, adulterous, offensive, incompetent buffoon could soon be running the country?
  • Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

New Conservative Home Tory members next Tory leader poll taken yesterday has Boris leading Hunt 66% to 30% with 4% undecided.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/06/our-survey-next-tory-leader-johnson-66-per-cent-hunt-30-per-cent.html

Entryists and loons have got it sown up.
    Thank you, it hasn't been easy but here we are.

£25 well spent.
  • Options
    glw said:

Is there no concern in the Telegraph that a dishonest, adulterous, offensive, incompetent buffoon could soon be running the country?
    The Clown Prince of Brexit!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

That's fine in a single constituency. In a general election something has to give otherwise remain seats will move to the Lib Dems and there is little point supporting a position that might give you 10 seats in leave constituencies (and it probably won't as it seems Labour supports tend to remain even in leave seats) when you loss 10+ remain seats.

The only possible plan that Labour can implement going into the next election (assuming we haven't left) that minimises losses is renegotiation followed by a second referendum on deal or revoke which should have been included within the first bill...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Whites are a minority in South Africa.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Chris Davies got the highest Tory voteshare since the 1960s in Brecon and Radnor in 2017, he is a popular local MP and will stand again, only 10 000 voters signed the recall petition to try and get rid of him, almost all LDs given the LDs got 12 000 votes in Brecon and Radnor in 2017
    There is no evidence that "almost all" of the 10,000 were LibDems. By implication you are stating that non Libdems don't care about the illegal activities of their MP.

I have greater faith in the voters of Brecon and Radnor.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I do not see the point of Labour making the pivot unless and until there is a 'Brexit' general election.

At that point they should do it if - and only if - they judge it will increase their chances of winning. Otherwise, don't.

Meantime, just oppose any 'Tory' Brexit, let the crisis deepen.
    The 'crisis' which had the Tories 2% ahead of Labour with Yougov yesterday even before Boris takes over?

Brexit is screwing Labour even more than the Tories at the moment
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bit frothy but nothing beyond the pale here.

Israel CAN be argued to be a settler-colonial state. In fact the argument that it is not is perhaps the more challenging to make.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Bill Cash and Redwood are going to be distraught at the thought of all Govt spending halting I think.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

We can only hope that Dodo is more effective than Kirsty Williams, the AM for Brecon & Radnorshire & Minister for Education & Skills. Here are the 2019 headlines for Welsh university education.

Cardiff University, jobs are lost after 21 million pound deficit for 2018.

Swansea University, vice chancellor and four senior colleagues are suspended & there is an ongoing investigation into dodgy links with the £200 million Llanelli Wellness Village (some murky initiative involving lots of public money).

Banger University, chemistry and education departments shut down in 2019 over huge losses.

Aberystwyth University, 100s of jobs to be lost as losses reach 7.5 million pounds

Trinity St Davids University, massive redundancies announced, the Vice Chancellor is former Labour Minister and EcoLoon, Jane Davidson. Lampeter College is being deliberately run down.

I know the LibDems on here love to dance & chant "Bollocks to Brexit" in a big huggy circle -- but is there any chance of the LibDems doing something useful for Wales.

Welsh education is a portfolio that they control.

It is a hard thing to say, but the Welsh LibDems actually make Boris look competent.

No, that is unfair.

They actually make Grayling look competent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Not quite true, there were Jews in Israel over 1000 years ago and it is their historic home, there were not whites in the Americas, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand 1000 years ago
    Fair enough; Wikipedia says that by the mid-19th century, Turkish sources recorded that 80% of the population of 600,000 was identified as Muslim, 10% as Christian Arab and 5–7% as Jewish.
    However the massive increase in Jewish population since 1948....... and I sympathise with the reason for it, most especially in the early days, has created a state in which the indigenous population has been marginalised.

And of course, there were no humans at all in New Zealand 1000 years ago!
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

There is no evidence that "almost all" of the 10,000 were LibDems. By implication you are stating that non Libdems don't care about the illegal activities of their MP.

Davies took his punishment and paid the fine and did the community service
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    glw said:

Well he will be elected leader of the Conservative Party, whether he will be running the country is moot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

If you cannot be

The backstop would only pass with some Unionist voters backing it ie moderate Unionists now voting Alliance Party, the DUP now only represent about a third of Northern Ireland voters.

It is a hard border which polls in Northern Ireland show make NI voters more likely to back reunification, not the NI backstop
    The DUP have never represented more than roughly a third of NI voters.

Peak DUP was 36% in 2017 (Westminster GE).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_P said:
    And Singapore and Taiwan - it's not only Europeans that have created settler states.
    Except Jews have lived in the region for thousands of years.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

We can only hope that Dodo is more effective than Kirsty Williams, the AM for Brecon & Radnorshire & Minister for Education & Skills. Here are the 2019 headlines for Welsh university education.

Swansea University, vice chancellor and four senior colleagues are suspended & there is an ongoing investigation into dodgy links with the £200 million Llanelli Wellness Village (some murky initiative involving lots of public money).

Banger University, chemistry and education departments shut down in 2019 over huge losses.

Aberystwyth University, 100s of jobs to be lost as losses reach 7.5 million pounds

Trinity St Davids University, massive redundancies announced, the Vice Chancellor is former Labour Minister and EcoLoon, Jane Davidson. Lampeter College is being deliberately run down.

I know the LibDems on here love to dance & chant "Bollocks to Brexit" in a big huggy circle -- but is there any chance of the LibDems doing something useful for Wales.

It is a hard thing to say, but the Welsh LibDems actually make Boris look competent.

No, that is unfair.

What does the Welsh Government have to do with the running of Universities (genuine question I haven't a clue)...

Edit to add - Universities are charities, private bodies and independent of government. All the government does is run a quango that funds parts of them - so out of that list there what part of it is the responsibility of any Government...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

Israel CAN be argued to be a settler-colonial state. In fact the argument that it is not is perhaps the more challenging to make.

Which country is it a colony of?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

"Settler" is fine (as has already been pointed out). "Colonial" is problematic. And we'd need the context, but if the "money stained with blood" bit is a reference to Jewish bankers* (as is sort of implied) then that's significantly worse.

Edit: *I just watched the clip and that's not at all what she's saying. Sorry about that.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Didn't a substantial part of the non-white (excluding the 'coloured and 'Asian' sectors) population move into what is now S.Africa quite recently?

People have, of course, always moved around the globe. Sometimes they've integrated with anyone who was there before; sometimes they didn't.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Didn't a substantial part of the non-white (excluding the 'coloured and 'Asian' sectors) population move into what is now S.Africa quite recently?

People have, of course, always moved around the globe. Sometimes they've integrated with anyone who was there before; sometimes they didn't.
    SA is 80% black.
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

No, that is unfair.

All that may be true but I'm not too sure it'll have much traction in a single by-election caused by the illegal actions of the re-selected Conservative candidate.

We shall see in the small hours of 2nd August.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Davies took his punishment and paid the fine and did the community service
    Very decent of him I'm sure.

The voters of B&R will hand down their verdict on 1st August.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Pulpstar said:

Bill Cash and Redwood are going to be distraught at the thought of all Govt spending halting I think.

It's a heck of an ultimatum, isn't it? "Give us a veto or we will stop Government spending on things you don't want to spend money on! In a way that is easy to argue is not your fault!"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Fair enough; Wikipedia says that by the mid-19th century, Turkish sources recorded that 80% of the population of 600,000 was identified as Muslim, 10% as Christian Arab and 5–7% as Jewish.
    However the massive increase in Jewish population since 1948....... and I sympathise with the reason for it, most especially in the early days, has created a state in which the indigenous population has been marginalised.

You may want to think about how all those Muslims got to be there in the first place. Hint: they created a "state" in which the previous population were marginalised.

Of course, so did that population, and the one before it. The Jews got to be there by conquering the Canaanites and Hittites who came before them.

Point is, trying to figure out exactly who the "indigenous" population of Israel are is fraught with difficulty; however, it's beyond doubt that the Jews have the longest standing claim of any currently extant group.
  • Options
    eek said:

What does the Welsh Government have to do with the running of Universities (genuine question I haven't a clue)...

Policy of all aspects of higher education is devolved.

I mean, have you not noticed that university tuition fees in England and Scotland are rather different ? 9k versus free. That is because the policy is devolved.

The LibDems are in charge of higher and further education policy (in Wales). They are responsible for arguing for the education budget in the Welsh Government. They are responsible for setting spending priorities.

If you are in charge of policy, and you are presiding over seriously bankrupt universities, you carry the can.

As regards Swansea, Kirsty should be trying to get at the truth, instead of the usual Welsh Government cover-up. It is her brief.

(It is true that Welsh Labour probably knew this portfolio was a stinker ... and they had to find a patsy to run it and take the blame ... oh, look there's Kirsty, they said to themselves.)
  • Options
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You may want to think about how all those Muslims got to be there in the first place. Hint: they created a "state" in which the previous population were marginalised.

Of course, so did that population, and the one before it. The Jews got to be there by conquering the Canaanites and Hittites who came before them.

Point is, trying to figure out exactly who the "indigenous" population of Israel are is fraught with difficulty; however, it's beyond doubt that the Jews have the longest standing claim of any currently extant group.
    If you go back far enough, non-African humans are all descended from immigrants from Africa.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a heck of an ultimatum, isn't it? "Give us a veto or we will stop Government spending on things you don't want to spend money on! In a way that is easy to argue is not your fault!"
    Well Grieve is a small state Tory too I suppose. Now Ma Beckett....
  • Options
    JackW said:

All that may be true but I'm not too sure it'll have much traction in a single by-election caused by the illegal actions of the re-selected Conservative candidate.

We shall see in the small hours of 2nd August.

I expect Dodo will win.

But, it is also perfectly reasonable to call politicians to account.

The Welsh LibDems are in charge of something, and they are doing a Grayling.
  • Options

eek said:

I mean, have you not noticed that university tuition fees in England and Scotland are rather different ? 9k versus free. That is because the policy is devolved.

The LibDems are in charge of higher and further education policy (in Wales). They are responsible for arguing for the education budget in the Welsh Government. They are responsible for setting spending priorities.

If you are in charge of policy, and you are presiding over seriously bankrupt universities, you carry the can.

As regards Swansea, Kirsty should be trying to get at the truth, instead of the usual Welsh Government cover-up. It is her brief.

(It is true that Welsh Labour probably knew this portfolio was a stinker ... and they had to find a patsy to run it and take the blame ... oh, look there's Kirsty, they said to themselves.)
    But the universities are not the responsibility of the Government only the day to day funding of them,

The fact they all over-expanded and are suffering the consequences of that cannot be pinned on any Lib Dem - you need to look at the period of over expansion and who was in charge then...
  • Options

I expect Dodo will win.

But, it is also perfectly reasonable to call politicians to account.

The Welsh LibDems are in charge of something, and they are doing a Grayling.

I don't disagree. The more scrutiny of those who serve us the better.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

What is also clear is that when the wheels of Boris's bus fall off the Conservative MP's and party membership will have nobody to blame but themselves. They went into the upcoming catastrophe fully warned and chose to ignore the evidence.

Under Theresa May they've collapsed to 20-22% and polled 9% in a national election.

They are already in an existential crisis and passed the "nothing left to lose" barrier weeks ago...
    The Conservatives are in crisis, largely of May's and the ERG's making. May failed to occupy a consensus position from day one until just before MV3 and the ERG wanted a unicorn BREXIT. However the Tory solution to this nightmare is not to wake up to reality but to continue to sleepwalk into a deeper longer nightmare.

The "nothing to lose" position is being outflanked by TBP and the LibDems with Prime Minister Corbyn heading a minority government or worse.
    Continuity May (Hunt) would be out flanked by both the TBP and the Lib Dems. Go down that path and the Tories could be annihilated like the Canadian Tories in 1993. Being exposed on 2 flanks can be disastrous.

Doesn't look like that is the case though. If the Tories choose Boris and if he sticks to his word then they will have the Lib Dems attacking on one flank but they can defend the other flank. It may mean they lose the next election (nothing but Corbyn may prevent that now) but at least the party can survive.
    Your solution is for the Tory Party to be more extreme and put a dishonest buffoon in charge. You are a strategic genius.
    Yes my solution is for the Tories to occupy an extreme. You can't be outflanked if you are already the most extreme. Out is out, deal or no deal, October 31.

The Tories need to pick 1 extreme: Remain or Leave. Pick one and do it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Animal_pb said:

Pulpstar said:

Well Grieve is a small state Tory too I suppose. Now Ma Beckett....
    Is trying to make recompense for creating this mess by allowing Mr Corbyn into the Labour Leadership election...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

True of very many Tory seats - indeed some topped longer standing records than that - and very little to do with Davies. You are shameless in picking out any statistic to suit, without thinking at all.
  • Options

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

What is also clear is that when the wheels of Boris's bus fall off the Conservative MP's and party membership will have nobody to blame but themselves. They went into the upcoming catastrophe fully warned and chose to ignore the evidence.

Under Theresa May they've collapsed to 20-22% and polled 9% in a national election.

They are already in an existential crisis and passed the "nothing left to lose" barrier weeks ago...
    The Conservatives are in crisis, largely of May's and the ERG's making. May failed to occupy a consensus position from day one until just before MV3 and the ERG wanted a unicorn BREXIT. However the Tory solution to this nightmare is not to wake up to reality but to continue to sleepwalk into a deeper longer nightmare.

The "nothing to lose" position is being outflanked by TBP and the LibDems with Prime Minister Corbyn heading a minority government or worse.
    Continuity May (Hunt) would be out flanked by both the TBP and the Lib Dems. Go down that path and the Tories could be annihilated like the Canadian Tories in 1993. Being exposed on 2 flanks can be disastrous.

Doesn't look like that is the case though. If the Tories choose Boris and if he sticks to his word then they will have the Lib Dems attacking on one flank but they can defend the other flank. It may mean they lose the next election (nothing but Corbyn may prevent that now) but at least the party can survive.
    Your solution is for the Tory Party to be more extreme and put a dishonest buffoon in charge. You are a strategic genius.
    Yes my solution is for the Tories to occupy an extreme. You can't be outflanked if you are already the most extreme. Out is out, deal or no deal, October 31.

Even being extreme won't work. Any brexit failure (and there will be some) will give Farage another entry point and he will use it...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

There is no proof for that at all! Labour made a significant move toward a referendum in the run up to polling day, and you could more convincingly suggest that this move helped blunt the risk of a LibDem surge - something many were predicting.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_P said:
    Is it me or is that just nonsense. I’ve worked in plenty of teams over the years, and normally the most junior person in the team gets the tea - most of the time. What do we want Cameron trying to pretend he makes the tea again!

I don’t like Boris but everyone seems to have lost their mental faculties. There is plenty in his words, actions and policies that is wrong. I had posts on Facebook this morning saying he was unfit to lead the nation because he paints buses. I mean really. If your child paints buses or model airplanes are you going to tell them that will rule them out from being PM one day! I mean doesn’t Corbyn collect drain covers / manholes. That is pretty obscure but it is his beliefs and policies that make him unfit to be PM.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Even being extreme won't work. Any brexit failure (and there will be some) will give Farage another entry point and he will use it...
    Especially as by occupying the extreme position, you are effectively saying “Farage is right, but don’t vote for him”. People might prefer the real thing.
  • Options

None.

But it was created - and not so long ago - in colonial fashion by the west (and off the back of a British occupation) against the wishes of the arab population who were in situ.

You can argue that the reasons for this were good and valid - but harder to argue that 'settler-colonial' is not a fair description.
  • Options

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Much though I hate to say it, there is some truth to this. Normally politics is about finding the middle ground to maximise the number of voters who'll tolerate you (the distribution of political opinions being generally bell curve shaped). But Brexit is a binary issue, and remarkably few people are actually anywhere near the centre ground. The EU elections and current polling indicate that having a clear and simple position is the way to go right now.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

But the universities are not the responsibility of the Government only the day to day funding of them,

The fact they all over-expanded and are suffering the consequences of that cannot be pinned on any Lib Dem - you need to look at the period of over expansion and who was in charge then...
    No. Here is a specific example.

The Welsh Government pay the fees of Welsh Students studying in England.

The Scottish Government do not pay the fees of Scottish students studying in England.

The Welsh Government policy is dumb, because it takes money that could go to the Welsh universities and gives it English universities. It pauperises the Welsh Universities.

The Scottish Government's policy is sensible.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Scott_P said:
    It's like AA Gill once said about the reality shows - no one knows that you are the ones watching them ironically.

That said, I'm sure I will have an equally challenging moment coming up when I decide how long to retain my membership of the Conservative Party. With Boris as PM on July 22 I think I agree with Nigel in staying around to see what fallout from Oct 31st one way or another. Then vote for a successor, or resign if everyone is happy with Boris as PM of the UK crashed outside the EU.
  • Options
    eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Failure to Brexit will give Farage an entry point. Had we not failed in March then Farage would have remained an historical figure.
  • Options
    The Dem field should be narrowed to probably Castro-Klobuchar-Yang polling upward
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

None.

But it was created - and not so long ago - in colonial fashion by the west (and off the back of a British occupation) against the wishes of the arab population who were in situ.

You can argue that the reasons for this were good and valid - but harder to argue that 'settler-colonial' is not a fair description.
    You do realise that there was already a Jewish population in situ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Failure to Brexit will give Farage an entry point. Had we not failed in March then Farage would have remained an historical figure.
    As would the LibDems.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

None.

I understood this to mean that the Gaza Strip and West Bank were colonies of Israel. I guess it could also be interpreted as Israel being a colony of the USA, in the sense that they get a lot of financial support from America (although not in the original sense of the word "colony").

Referencing the British Mandate as a factor in its creation is pretty misleading. The State of Israel was created off the back of a United Nations vote in which Britain abstained, having opposed the partition plan.
  • Options

eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Farage isn't going to retire and disappear - is he?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Do you really think all the preparation that went into the Brexit Party was just done on the off chance there would be a delay? He was planning to do this regardless, and being in transition as a rule taker would be even more fertile ground for him.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

kinabalu said:

She was not saying it was a colony but that it has and is colonising. I can't see what there is to argue with. Even the most fervent Zionists wouldn't (with a straight face) argue that the Golan Heights are part of Greater Isreal.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Farage isn't going to retire and disappear - is he?
    With FPTP and Brexit delivered he would yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The 'crisis' which had the Tories 2% ahead of Labour with Yougov yesterday even before Boris takes over?

Debatable. And 'crisis' it most certainly is. And here's the thing -

The Tories have to deliver Brexit because (i) they believe in it, and (ii) they are in government.

Labour don't because they don't, and they aren't.

This is the fundamental point of difference which will lead to a Labour government, unless Boris Johnson lives up to your (inflated?) expectations.
  • Options

Do you really think all the preparation that went into the Brexit Party was just done on the off chance there would be a delay? He was planning to do this regardless, and being in transition as a rule taker would be even more fertile ground for him.
    I think there was more than an off chance of a delay by the point he returned. Had there been no EU elections then there would have been no springboard for him and no groundswell of "what part of Leave did they not understand?"
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

There is no proof for that at all! Labour made a significant move toward a referendum in the run up to polling day, and you could more convincingly suggest that this move helped blunt the risk of a LibDem surge - something many were predicting.
    Labour won the by election because it ran an excellent ground campaign with highly motivated people who came from all over the country.

Tbp Ltd had plenty of support but surprisingly did not know how to run an election. Labour won. It is interesting though the number of claims about Tory activists and councilors defecting to Tbp Ltd but they still couldn’t run a ground war. We’re they all armchair activists who had never been in a committee room?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Debatable. And 'crisis' it most certainly is. And here's the thing -

The Tories have to deliver Brexit because (i) they believe in it, and (ii) they are in government.

Labour don't because they don't, and they aren't.

This is the fundamental point of difference which will lead to a Labour government, unless Boris Johnson lives up to your (inflated?) expectations.
    Jeremy Corbyn doesn't believe in Brexit?

Sing it from the rooftops!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The majority of Israelis are descended from Middle Eastern Jews, those expelled from Iraq, Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries, where they had lived for thousands of years. It's one of those inconvenient facts ignored by those who like to portray Israel purely as a colony of white Western settlers from Europe.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

She was not saying it was a colony but that it has and is colonising. I can't see what there is to argue with. Even the most fervent Zionists wouldn't (with a straight face) argue that the Golan Heights are part of Greater Isreal.
    Yes, they do. At least, the ones who know their Old Testament do. Which is basically all of them.

The Gaza Strip is the tougher one to argue. In any case, giving the Golan Heights back to Syria would do absolutely nothing to help the Palestinians.
This discussion has been closed.