Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though August 1st will be the date of the Brecon a

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

If BXP stand in Brecon & Radnor, is it possible Tories could slip to 3rd place?

I don't think fascism is very popular in Wales, oh hang on there was Neil cash for questions thingyjig.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Remind me he was Foreign Sec during the crucial negotiations and his ultra buddy Raab was Brexit Sec.

This is just more tinkerbell brexit.
    Why cant he say something along the lines of he will renegotiate with the EU, building on the earlier exploratory negotiations without any of TM's red lines as preconditions but still try and get as close to meeting those lines as we can. It would not include the backstop, and we will get the outline of the plan agreed before October 31st with an exit date before the end of the year.

That would be credible, plausible and is presumably what he is trying to do. It would give him plenty of scope for negotiation with the EU, ERG, Tory remainers, and Labour leavers.

Would it really cost him the election? The alternative is Hunt who does not have a plan either.
    Because he has created his own red line: 31st October date.

What is just utterly :lol: is that this was handed down to us by the dreaded gnomes of Brussels! Boris has only adopted because Raab did and they both want to out-Farage Farage.

The history books will tear this clown to pieces.
    Brexit will rank amongst the biggest blunders in British history such as the loss of the American colonies and Charles I's attempt to rule without parliament.
    It is perhaps the only upside of Boris winning. He will need to own the blunder. I hope he ends up with a humiliation that is proportionate to the damage that he has caused British business and our prosperity. Sadly karma is not always born out in real life.
    No humiliation could possibly be big enough for that. Fortunately though Boris is still quite young so he will have many years in which he will be condemned on all sides for his narcissistic destructiveness. Chamberlain was dead before history buried him in ordure, but Boris (and Cameron for that matter) will suffer that fate whilst they are still living.
    Boris Johnson. the man who made Britain shit again.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    The Lowry seems to have been Jose's hotel of choice. But you're still in a Manchester hotel not the shores of Lake Garda ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Scott_P said:
    Remind me he was Foreign Sec during the crucial negotiations and his ultra buddy Raab was Brexit Sec.

Why cant he say something along the lines of he will renegotiate with the EU, building on the earlier exploratory negotiations without any of TM's red lines as preconditions but still try and get as close to meeting those lines as we can. It would not include the backstop, and we will get the outline of the plan agreed before October 31st with an exit date before the end of the year.

That would be credible, plausible and is presumably what he is trying to do. It would give him plenty of scope for negotiation with the EU, ERG, Tory remainers, and Labour leavers.

Would it really cost him the election? The alternative is Hunt who does not have a plan either.

What is just utterly :lol: is that this was handed down to us by the dreaded gnomes of Brussels! Boris has only adopted because Raab did and they both want to out-Farage Farage.

Brexit will rank amongst the biggest blunders in British history such as the loss of the American colonies and Charles I's attempt to rule without parliament.
    It is perhaps the only upside of Boris winning. He will need to own the blunder. I hope he ends up with a humiliation that is proportionate to the damage that he has caused British business and our prosperity. Sadly karma is not always born out in real life.
    It was for Cammo. So one can always hope.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    edited June 2019

OllyT said:

If he tries to blame the girlfriend isn't there the danger then that she goes public with what she found on his lap top that kicked the whole thing off?

How do you know there was something on his laptop?

Maybe Carrie had just mislaid the computer cable? That can lead to very serious altercations.

When the police investigated Layla & Richard, they were both carted off to jail in connection with assault and breach of the peace. It makes Boris & Carrie sound like a funeral tea party in comparison.
    About fifteen years ago, there was a car crash near Cambridge where a man died. He and his wife were on their way back from B&Q when they had an argument, causing the car to crash. The argument was not over the colour, or type of the paint, but over whether they'd bought enough of it ...

Edit: it was the wife that died:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1512373/Wife-died-in-crash-after-grabbing-the-wheel-during-row.html
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

It is a vast rural constituency. I think organisation will be more than usually at a premium. BXP has no organisation in the constituency.

My guess BXP may choose Mark Reckless AM as the candidate, which will further limit their appeal. And the UKIP candidate will probably be Neil Hamilton, who is the AM for Mid and West Wales.

Lucky Brecon, eh.

Given the choice of Tory candidate, it is a LIbDem gain, with Tories in second place. However, it will be interesting to see if Dodo can hang on if there is GE. My guess is the Tories will get it right back.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    kinabalu said:

"Number one it never happened. Number Two she's not my type."

Hard core misogyny right there.

What a shame we have a man like this as president of the US.

Ah well, the clock is ticking.

CORRECTION!

"Number one she's not my type. Number two it never happened."

I got the order wrong. Many apologies.

Appears he's most concerned to get over the message that he would NEVER sexually assault a woman who he does not consider a looker.

Because I guess his 'base' might take a dim view of him doing that. They might start to suspect he has no standards.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Scott_P said:
    The half suppressed smirk on his face tells all. What a dishonest piece of work.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Okay, that's my sister's vote sorted! ;)

(She drives buses as a hobby.)
  • Options

We are about to have our own version here.

My first instinct is to agree - and in a sense I do - however as bad as Johnson is I do not view him as bad as Trump.

As always, and in this case with charlatans, America does it bigger.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

OllyT said:

If he tries to blame the girlfriend isn't there the danger then that she goes public with what she found on his lap top that kicked the whole thing off?

How do you know there was something on his laptop?

Maybe Carrie had just mislaid the computer cable? That can lead to very serious altercations.

When the police investigated Layla & Richard, they were both carted off to jail in connection with assault and breach of the peace. It makes Boris & Carrie sound like a funeral tea party in comparison.
    About fifteen years ago, there was a car crash near Cambridge where a man died. He and his wife were on their way back from B&Q when they had an argument, causing the car to crash. The argument was not over the colour, or type of the paint, but over whether they'd bought enough of it ...

Edit: it was the wife that died:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1512373/Wife-died-in-crash-after-grabbing-the-wheel-during-row.html
    The depth of human folly is indeed unfathomable.
    On the other hand, that is hardly justification for selecting a fool as the next prime minister.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

We are about to have our own version here.

My first instinct is to agree - and in a sense I do - however as bad as Johnson is I do not view him as bad as Trump.

As always, and in this case with charlatans, America does it bigger.
    IMV Boris isn't even on the same scale as Trump.

That doesn't mean that he's PM material; just that Trump is so horrid that he makes Nixon seem a deeply moral man.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Scott_P said:

Now we have Tim from Ruislip on the line...

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1143442639024459777

His CV is blandishment after blandishment. It is achievement light, other than his academic record. He is best qualified to be a polemicist, or game show host, both of which he is quite good at. He should stick to these, and someone should tell him that misplaced self belief and ego are not adequate substitutes for proper experience and accomplishment.
    He was a decent Mayor, despite how some have tried to rewrite history. A Tory winning London twice was pretty unbelievable.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No humiliation could possibly be big enough for that. Fortunately though Boris is still quite young so he will have many years in which he will be condemned on all sides for his narcissistic destructiveness. Chamberlain was dead before history buried him in ordure, but Boris (and Cameron for that matter) will suffer that fate whilst they are still living.
    Boris Johnson. the man who made Britain shit again.
    The national laxative ?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2019

It is a vast rural constituency. I think organisation will be more than usually at a premium. BXP has no organisation in the constituency.

My guess BXP may choose Mark Reckless AM as the candidate, which will further limit their appeal. And the UKIP candidate will probably be Neil Hamilton, who is the AM for Mid and West Wales.

Lucky Brecon, eh.

Given the choice of Tory candidate, it is a LIbDem gain, with Tories in second place. However, it will be interesting to see if Dodo can hang on if there is GE. My guess is the Tories will get it right back.

By election victors almost invariably receive a significant boost at the subsequent general election - as compared with the likely outcome had there never been a by election. Copeland provides a good example from 2017 - as do Crewe & Nantwich and Norwich North from 2010. Moreover,Richard Livesey held on in 1987 having won the 1985 by election before narrowly losing in 1992. He went on to recapture the seat in 1997, and it remained LibDem held until 2015. Given the recent history of the seat, I think the LibDems would stand a good chance of retaining it at a GE.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    This sounds a bit tin foily, but is it possible that the Johnson team are keeping the stories about his private life going deliberately as a way of distracting from his political policies. After all, the less he has to talk about them the fewer promises he has to make.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    dr_spyn said:
    I wonder if he will produce any models he has made to back this up.

This will lead people to remember the new routemaster buses he bought for London at vast expense - pointless, impractical, unreliable and widely disliked (though superficially attractive). Rather like Boris himself in fact.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Off topic: any recommendations for a good hotel in Manchester. Going there in a couple of weeks to see son graduate.

Thank you.

Budget?

If you won't spend anytime in the room except sleeping (as they are tiny) I'm starting to use MotelOne and both theirs are more central than the Premier Inn / Travelodges.

Crowne Plaza was OK the last time we stayed there..

Thank you.

Depending on cost, I might treat myself as such a special outing and I have a weakness for nice hotels, having spent time as a child with my grandmother in the sorts of old-fashioned Swiss hotels that appear in Anita Brookner novels.
    If you want opulence go for the Midland or the Gotham. Slightly away from the centre there’s the Lowry.

Good hotels a rung below that are the Malmaison, Radisson, Novotel, Crowne Plaza (not the one on Oxford Road.)
    Thank you and to others for their suggestions.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

We should spend this money on the NHS.

The monarchy cost British taxpayers £67m during 2018-19 - a 41% increase on the previous financial year.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal-accounts-this-is-why-the-monarchy-cost-41-more-last-year-11748503

If only we had a rich royal family who could fund themselves independently instead of choosing a family on benefits.
    The Crown Estate (plus the Duchies) dos of course generate hundreds of millions of pounds a year for the Exchequer, plus a substantial increase in capital value.
    If they generate all this money for the Exchequer, they are by extension earning it. All the more reasons why they shouldn't expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for luxurious living standards. Very bad PR for the Royals
    I don't think there's any tab for the taxpayer to keep up. I believe they are now funded out of the profits of the estate only?
    The beeb said this morning that the bill for the £2M renovation of Harry's "cottage" was paid by the taxpayer
    Might have been over and above the normal amount they get, but still they are a net contributor to the exchequer.
    If only for living through the Trump visit, they probably deserved it this year.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I wonder if he will produce any models he has made to back this up.

This will lead people to remember the new routemaster buses he bought for London at vast expense - pointless, impractical, unreliable and widely disliked (though superficially attractive). Rather like Boris himself in fact.

https://twitter.com/journodave/status/1143465815389409280
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    In the Tories interests to string that one out for as long as possible.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The monarchy cost British taxpayers £67m during 2018-19 - a 41% increase on the previous financial year.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal-accounts-this-is-why-the-monarchy-cost-41-more-last-year-11748503

If only we had a rich royal family who could fund themselves independently instead of choosing a family on benefits.
    The Crown Estate (plus the Duchies) dos of course generate hundreds of millions of pounds a year for the Exchequer, plus a substantial increase in capital value.
    If they generate all this money for the Exchequer, they are by extension earning it. All the more reasons why they shouldn't expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for luxurious living standards. Very bad PR for the Royals
    I don't think there's any tab for the taxpayer to keep up. I believe they are now funded out of the profits of the estate only?
    The beeb said this morning that the bill for the £2M renovation of Harry's "cottage" was paid by the taxpayer
    Might have been over and above the normal amount they get, but still they are a net contributor to the exchequer.
    If only for living through the Trump visit, they probably deserved it this year.
    Another anti-Meghan story. She can do no right according to the right.
  • Options

IMV Boris isn't even on the same scale as Trump.

That doesn't mean that he's PM material; just that Trump is so horrid that he makes Nixon seem a deeply moral man.

I do agree.

I've said this before on here a couple of times so once more won't harm -

I really want a No Deal Brexit to be thwarted. I really REALLY want Labour to win the next election.

But I want Trump beaten (and preferably thrashed) in 2020 far more than either of the above.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Scott_P said:
    The gift keeps giving. It seems he plans to start a new WA agreement with the EU.

:lol:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1143461557332062210
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    And if Parliament instructs him to get an extension...?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

I don't think fascism is very popular in Wales, oh hang on there was Neil cash for questions thingyjig.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    isam said:

Oh, that is disappointing. Good that you are owning up to what the Brexit Party actually is though. At least you are honest about it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Those shocked and horrified at Boris not wanting an extension a bit over 4 months before the deadline seem to have rather glazed over the fact that he voted against getting an extension just 15 days before the deadline on 14 March. Had that vote gone his way we'd be out on 29 March.

I see little logical reason to vote against an extension on 14 March when the deadline is 29 March, but to be campaigning in favour of an extension in June when the deadline is October.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Scott_P said:

His CV is blandishment after blandishment. It is achievement light, other than his academic record. He is best qualified to be a polemicist, or game show host, both of which he is quite good at. He should stick to these, and someone should tell him that misplaced self belief and ego are not adequate substitutes for proper experience and accomplishment.
    He was a decent Mayor, despite how some have tried to rewrite history. A Tory winning London twice was pretty unbelievable.
    Once again, the partisan obsession with winning elections. Yes that is important, but it is like suggesting that succeeding at interview for a job is an end in itself. It is not. Was he a successful mayor? Objective evidence please?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Danny565 said:

How do they do that, exactly? Curious as to what mechanism you're proposing, here.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

What an idiot. He has truly painted himself into a corner now.

He is so used to blarring his way out of anything he has previously said that he doesn't care.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

isam said:

Oh, that is disappointing. Good that you are owning up to what the Brexit Party actually is though. At least you are honest about it.
    I ignore your ridiculous F words. The chance of allowing you to try and make that imbecilic point was worth it to put you right.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/AndreaParma82/status/1143428397424623621

Another new candidate needed for Labour.

Good riddance to a europhobic, socially conservative bigot who voted against equal marriage.

• Options
    Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

How do they do that, exactly? Curious as to what mechanism you're proposing, here.
    They could vote like they did on March 14, but if they leave it that late again if the PM simply says 'no I'm not doing it' there's little they can do. Holding him in contempt won't make him do it. A VONC will only work if Parliament is prepared to elect Corbyn to head a GONU [since Corbyn would veto any alternatives and you won't find 300+ MPs willing to defect from the Tory and Labour parties].
  • Options
    Are we sure Boris is no longer using Class A substances?

Because that answer on buses could have come from Syd Barrett circa 1968.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Off topic: any recommendations for a good hotel in Manchester. Going there in a couple of weeks to see son graduate.

Thank you.

Budget?

If you won't spend anytime in the room except sleeping (as they are tiny) I'm starting to use MotelOne and both theirs are more central than the Premier Inn / Travelodges.

Crowne Plaza was OK the last time we stayed there..

Thank you.

Depending on cost, I might treat myself as such a special outing and I have a weakness for nice hotels, having spent time as a child with my grandmother in the sorts of old-fashioned Swiss hotels that appear in Anita Brookner novels.
    Do you have any preferences as to location? The MalMaison is close to Manchester Piccadilly train station while the Motel One is opposite it, for example.
  • Options

Brom said:

Scott_P said:

Once again, the partisan obsession with winning elections. Yes that is important, but it is like suggesting that succeeding at interview for a job is an end in itself. It is not. Was he a successful mayor? Objective evidence please?
    I think he was, he got re-elected. Obviously a left winger like yourself who pretends to be a Tory might disagree
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Dear me we need a wicket big style.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited June 2019
    Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

Same mechanism as in March/April.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-vote-result-indicative-votes-oliver-letwin-theresa-may/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Boris is going to be even worse than we feared, isn't he?
  • Options
    What's the WTF? He was asked a question.

Painting models is a good stress relief tool. I like painting Warhammer miniatures, I don't play the game anymore (last played 20 years ago when I was a teenager) but its a good way to unwind.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/oliver-letwin-amendment-brexit-mp-west-dorset-prime-minister/
    And if the PM just refuses to follow Parliament's instruction? Which the executive can do?

Unless Parliament is willing to elect Corbyn there's little it can do.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

This sounds a bit tin foily, but is it possible that the Johnson team are keeping the stories about his private life going deliberately as a way of distracting from his political policies. After all, the less he has to talk about them the fewer promises he has to make.

Yes -- and Hunt needs to get this back to Boris's inconsistencies on policy.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    POLICE have defended Boris Johnson’s neighbours for taping his late-night argument with his girlfriend then calling 999.

A social media account for a Met borough told the public “you are not interfering” for getting involved in domestic incidents.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9365505/boris-johnson-carrie-symonds-neighbours-defended/
  • Options

Those shocked and horrified at Boris not wanting an extension a bit over 4 months before the deadline seem to have rather glazed over the fact that he voted against getting an extension just 15 days before the deadline on 14 March. Had that vote gone his way we'd be out on 29 March.

I see little logical reason to vote against an extension on 14 March when the deadline is 29 March, but to be campaigning in favour of an extension in June when the deadline is October.

There's an extremely good reason - he won't have time to do anything, even to make the most basic emergency preparations for a chaotic no-deal crash out, and he'd be in charge. The fact that he voted irresponsibly as a backbencher in March doesn't absolve him of responsibility if, God forbid, he's PM.

Has no-one on the Boris team actually looked at the calendar?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Painting models is a good stress relief tool. I like painting Warhammer miniatures, I don't play the game anymore (last played 20 years ago when I was a teenager) but its a good way to unwind.
    Sure. It would be good to see a picture of a couple of his models, though, just to show that it's not a random answer. I think it would be rather appealing, in fact.
  • Options

He will need to fight an election if he is hell bent on us leaving on 31 Oct. I hope we get one but I predict he will choose to avoid it.

I see him agreeing an extension and banking (successfully) on the ERG hardliners making a great deal of noise but not bringing him down.

I think he will go that way because if he goes the other way (tries to drive through No Deal) the Grieve faction WILL bring him down.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I ignore your ridiculous F words. The chance of allowing you to try and make that imbecilic point was worth it to put you right.
    Once again, anyone who thinks Brexit is a good idea accusing anyone of being imbecilic is rich in irony. Fascism is anything but ridiculous though. Repulsive, yes, ridiculous no. You might want to call divisive nationalism that is led by an egotistical zealot something different. I call it what it is, an unpleasant regressive doctrine that causes hatred, and it used to be known as fascism. In the UK it is now called the Brexit Party, or Faragism.
  • Options

POLICE have defended Boris Johnson’s neighbours for taping his late-night argument with his girlfriend then calling 999.

A social media account for a Met borough told the public “you are not interfering” for getting involved in domestic incidents.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9365505/boris-johnson-carrie-symonds-neighbours-defended/

I don't think many are saying its wrong to call 999 when you think there is a risk.

Calling The Guardian when you are told it was a false alarm is a different matter.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-vote-result-indicative-votes-oliver-letwin-theresa-may/
    No, I get the take control of parliamentary business bit, but the earlier precedent was with an administration that was not, practically, prepared to countenance a no deal exit. Are you sure it couldn't be stymied by a leave-at-all-costs Executive?
  • Options
    If Lords is as flat a track as the espncricinfo updates I'm watching are suggesting then England should win :D
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Thompson, *gasp!*

It all becomes clear!

No wonder you're so against the filthy xenos!

[40K reference, for those unaware].
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    And the title of this thread is...?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Once again, anyone who thinks Brexit is a good idea accusing anyone of being imbecilic is rich in irony. Fascism is anything but ridiculous though. Repulsive, yes, ridiculous no. You might want to call divisive nationalism that is led by an egotistical zealot something different. I call it what it is, an unpleasant regressive doctrine that causes hatred, and it used to be known as fascism. In the UK it is now called the Brexit Party, or Faragism.
    Let's be honest you're a cretinous troll who thinks everyone to the right of Corbyn is a fascist. I'm delighted over half the country disagree with you because otherwise we would be in a right state. Enjoy the Conservative Government :)
  • Options

And his complete lack of actual achievement in government office
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Except you are full of s**t.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of radical right-wing, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

Even if you believe leaving the EU to be radical or rightwing (despite being supported by many on the left) or ultranationalism . . . Leaving the EU isn't authoritarian, it isn't dictatorial, it isn't forcibly suppressing the opposition, it doesn't involve a strong regimentation of society and doesn't involve strong regimentation of the economy.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Boris is going to be even worse than we feared, isn't he?

that rather depends on where you are starting from
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
  • Options

I don't think many are saying its wrong to call 999 when you think there is a risk.

Calling The Guardian when you are told it was a false alarm is a different matter.
    And you, of course, wouldn't call the Daily Brexitograph if you heard similar goings on from a political figure you didn't approve of? Corbyn? Anna Soubry? Of course not!!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Foremain, lack of achievement would be an improvement on his actual performance. Boris wasn't a bland, inactive minister. He was an incompetent one.
  • Options
    I thought you agreed with socialism ? Sound like Boris is your man,
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

They could vote like they did on March 14, but if they leave it that late again if the PM simply says 'no I'm not doing it' there's little they can do. Holding him in contempt won't make him do it. A VONC will only work if Parliament is prepared to elect Corbyn to head a GONU [since Corbyn would veto any alternatives and you won't find 300+ MPs willing to defect from the Tory and Labour parties].
    You don't need 300+ MPs to defect. You only need a handful of opposition MPs to support an alternative Tory PM who will ask for an extension.
  • Options

And his complete lack of actual achievement in government office
    Cameron ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

No, I get the take control of parliamentary business bit, but the earlier precedent was with an administration that was not, practically, prepared to countenance a no deal exit. Are you sure it couldn't be stymied by a leave-at-all-costs Executive?
    Then you replace the Prime Minister with someone willing to carry out the will of Parliament.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

You don't need 300+ MPs to defect. You only need a handful of opposition MPs to support an alternative Tory PM who will ask for an extension.

That doesn't work. There is no way that the bulk of Tory MPs would go along with that.
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145

The effective tax rate on the Crown Estate was temporarily cut from 85% to 75% specifically to pay for the renovations needed at Buck House. And if we had a presidency the taxpayer would still be paying for Buck House, in the same way that the taxpayer pays for Macron and Trump's gaffs - it's been neglected in the same way that the Palace of Westminster has been.
  • Options

He is lying. He does not paint models of buses. He will now have to come up with some photos to prove it and those photos - like the ones with Carrie - will not pass the smell test. Voila - and out of nothing - Busgate.

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."
  • Options

Sure. It would be good to see a picture of a couple of his models, though, just to show that it's not a random answer. I think it would be rather appealing, in fact.
    What does "I don't mean buses" actually mean?

I make models of buses, but they are not buses, as I don't mean buses, I mean some other object. So what are they models of? Something with passengers by sounds of it. Hovercraft perhaps?
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

Then you replace the Prime Minister with someone willing to carry out the will of Parliament.
    you want that job dont you ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Boris discloses an interest in the bus. Clearly a man of the people but one is minded to recall another Conservative Prime Minister who at a moment of crisis was a fan of the bus :

"The result was that when war did break out German preparations were far ahead of our own, and it was natural then to expect that the enemy would take advantage of his initial superiority to make an endeavour to overwhelm us and France before we had time to make good our deficiencies. Is it not a very extraordinary thing that no such attempt was made? Whatever may be the reason—whether it was that Hitler thought he might get away with what he had got without fighting for it, or whether it was that after all the preparations were not sufficiently complete—however, one thing is certain: he missed the bus."

Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in a speech to Conservatives at the Central Hall Westminster on 4th April 1940.

The 7th May "Norway Debate" shocked Chamberlain and when Hitler's troops invaded the low countries on 10th May Chamberlain resigned the same day.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

Barnesian said:

That doesn't work. There is no way that the bulk of Tory MPs would go along with that.
    So they would VONC a Tory PM? That's a hanging offence isn't it? I can see some of the ERGs doing it but not the bulk.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

Oh, that's easy, then. It's not as if we have a Commons that have been unable to agree on anything except what they don't want, any time they've been asked...

Sounds like a central case of running the clock down until 31/10/19 is looking more and more likely.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He is lying. He does not paint models of buses. He will now have to come up with some photos to prove it and those photos - like the ones with Carrie - will not pass the smell test. Voila - and out of nothing - Busgate.

Look at the quote again. Boris saw the trap halfway through and now paints old crates. As you do. And as can be knocked up overnight should anyone demand evidence.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Look at the quote again. Boris saw the trap halfway through and now paints old crates. As you do. And as can be knocked up overnight should anyone demand evidence.
    I imagine Private Pike is knocking up a model bus from an old crate as we type.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

So they would VONC a Tory PM? That's a hanging offence isn't it? I can see some of the ERGs doing it but not the bulk.
    In reality, simply the threat of a VONC will be a "nuclear deterrent", and will probably scare Boris into complying with Parliament before we actually got there.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Obvious point, but does the Boris campaign releasing that old photo not raise suspicion about why Carrie was unwilling to have a new lovey-dovey photo taken?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

There wouldn't be a Tory PM to vote against. Her Maj doesn't just go around appointing random MPs to be Prime Minister, it has to be someone who seems likely in advance to command the confidence of the house.
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145

Has no-one on the Boris team actually looked at the calendar?

Or the fact that Brussels has disbanded its negotiating team and the Commission is pretty much suspended until 1 November?

I suspect it's a combination of half his team haven't noticed details like that, and half have noticed and don't care
  • Options
    Random spaffing, more like.

Though it’s not unknown for Johnsonian ejaculations to have long term consequences.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/oliver-letwin-amendment-brexit-mp-west-dorset-prime-minister/
    And if the PM just refuses to follow Parliament's instruction? Which the executive can do?

Unless Parliament is willing to elect Corbyn there's little it can do.
    I suspect Parliament would vote down any government that set out to entirely ignore its wishes. It would be right to do so.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    lol

"could" it's laughable

much like the economy "could" have 5 million unemployed, the supermarkets "could" run out of food etc.

he's doing what Osborne did, but even more incompetently
  • Options
    Brom said:

isam said:

isam said:

Let's be honest you're a cretinous troll who thinks everyone to the right of Corbyn is a fascist. I'm delighted over half the country disagree with you because otherwise we would be in a right state. Enjoy the Conservative Government :)
    haha. I am a Tory ex-Party activist you blinkered plonker. Once again, any Brexit fantasist calling anyone "cretinous" or imbecilic is ironic in the extreme as you follow an imbecilic creed. I am a Conservative centrist and fascist loather. I detest Corbyn, but I equally find I find the lurch to the extreme right in the Conservative Party extremely dumb, and I have met plenty of swivel eyed nutters like you in the party who have as much understanding of the matters that they pontificate on as the average amoeba. The ascendency of the puerile views that you represent is why I will probably change my party allegiance, which I am sure you might be pleased at as you would like the Conservative party to become Brexit National Party Lite. One day the country will grow up, and realise that basing foreign policy on the views of people who read too many war comics is not advisable.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Yes, my neighbours frequently row. It would not occur to me to tape them, and then post the tape to the local newspaper's website to embarrass them.
  • Options
    Btw, what is the shear size of a seat ?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Danny565 said:

The executive can have as much intent as it wishes if it doesn't have the numbers, and it doesn't, its academic. If Parliament votes to stop them and the government seeks to continue regardless Parliament will withdraw confidence.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Brom said:

isam said:

isam said:

haha. I am a Tory ex-Party activist you blinkered plonker. Once again, any Brexit fantasist calling anyone "cretinous" or imbecilic is ironic in the extreme as you follow an imbecilic creed. I am a Conservative centrist and fascist loather. I detest Corbyn, but I equally find I find the lurch to the extreme right in the Conservative Party extremely dumb, and I have met plenty of swivel eyed nutters like you in the party who have as much understanding of the matters that they pontificate on as the average amoeba. The ascendency of the puerile views that you represent is why I will probably change my party allegiance, which I am sure you might be pleased at as you would like the Conservative party to become Brexit National Party Lite. One day the country will grow up, and realise that basing foreign policy on the views of people who read too many war comics is not advisable.
    No one on this forum believes a word you say. Joined less than a year ago, 3,000 posts all slagging off the Tories. No wonder you're a laughing stock. You have little understanding of political betting and your posts are entirely based upon slagging others off. I take great delight in knowing your far left politics will never lead to the UK government you crave/
This discussion has been closed.