Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though August 1st will be the date of the Brecon a

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2019

nichomar said:

He broke the law, he was guilty of a specific clause of the recall laws introduced as a result of the scandals surrounding MPs expenses. He did it for personal gain and forged receipts to try and cover it up. Let’s see how the conservatives sell that on the doorstep.

I think it was foolish of the Tories to chose him as the candidate again.

But, it is true that, given the munificence of MP expenses fraud, this is a small sum. It is smaller than Lembit had to return for his fucking mammoth plasma screen TV, for example.

Davies has been made an example of. It is a good thing, as we should encourage probity in our MPs.

But it is possible to feel some sympathy for him at a personal level, given what many other MPs have gotten away with.

Let's hope that Jane Dodo does not do a Sarah Olney with her election expenses.

Davies' case is rather different from Opik and the other expenses freeloaders in the he deliberately and knowingly forged an invoice to fool the HoC authorities into paying something which would not otherwise have been paid.

The earlier expenses cases (mostly) concerned payments which were knowingly made by the HoC not because MPs presented false documents or did anything criminal but because the system was too lax and allowed outrageous claims to go through without being questioned. There were a few criminal cases, such as Eliot Morley, but these were a minority.
    I agree with all this, though you underestimated the "few criminal cases"

I recollect Morley, Devine, Moran, Chaytor and Illsley, all Labour, all convicted, and mostly carted off to jail.

I think Moran cried a lot in court, and was let off a custodial sentence.
    That's five; is five 'a few' or is it three?
    MacShane makes six.

Moran pulled a Colditz, frankly, and was given leniency due to mental health issues.
    My favourite expenses story was Hazel Blears:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/13/mps-expenses-hazel-blears

Hazel Blears attempted to rebuild her reputation tonight, promising to pay £13,332 in capital gains tax that she had avoided when she sold one of her homes.

Leaked expenses claims revealed Blears declared a flat in Kennington, south London, as her primary residence for tax purposes – thus avoiding capital gains tax on the £45,000 profit she made when she sold the property – while telling the Commons authorities that it was her second home, a designation that enabled her to claim hundreds of pounds in parliamentary expenses.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

nichomar said:

Chris Davies can either prove to the satisfaction of his constituents that he is a fit and proper person to be their MP, or he can own his failure. Seems sensible given the comparatively low bar for triggering the byelection.

Low bar? The legal requirement is 10% of those on the electoral roll and in this case nearly 20% actually signed.
    But more than 20% backed him at the last General Election didn't they?

Perhaps a fairer way of doing a recall would be to have 2 options on the ballot: I wish to recall, I do not wish to recall, with a recall succeeding if it clears 10% and has more than those saying do not wish to recall.
    He broke the law, he was guilty of a specific clause of the recall laws introduced as a result of the scandals surrounding MPs expenses. He did it for personal gain and forged receipts to try and cover it up. Let’s see how the conservatives sell that on the doorstep.

But, it is true that, given the munificence of MP expenses fraud, this is a small sum. It is smaller than Lembit had to return for his fucking mammoth plasma screen TV, for example.

Davies has been made an example of. It is a good thing, as we should encourage probity in our MPs.

But it is possible to feel some sympathy for him at a personal level, given what many other MPs have gotten away with.

Davies' case is rather different from Opik and the other expenses freeloaders in the he deliberately and knowingly forged an invoice to fool the HoC authorities into paying something which would not otherwise have been paid.

The earlier expenses cases (mostly) concerned payments which were knowingly made by the HoC not because MPs presented false documents or did anything criminal but because the system was too lax and allowed outrageous claims to go through without being questioned. There were a few criminal cases, such as Eliot Morley, but these were a minority.

I recollect Morley, Devine, Moran, Chaytor, MacShane and Illsley, all Labour, all convicted, and mostly carted off to jail.

Yes and there was also a Tory peer I think, but these are only a few compared to the total number of MPs who were making excessive claims and manipulating the second homes arrangements to their advantage, I guess that was in the 100s?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    isam said:

There is a way out of this for Boris; it emerges that his girlfriend was the aggressor and he was being gentlemanly in not revealing so. I have had bust ups where girlfriends have kicked and scratched me, and, had the neighbours had a glass to the wall, they’d have probably heard them say ‘get off me’ when I kept them at arms length

Desperate stuff from the Boris apologists! I wouldn't worry, the Conservative party has been so skilfully infiltrated by Brexit fantasists that he could get his tackle out in front of HM the Queen and they would still vote him in.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    JackW said:

There are reports coming in that Gavin Williamson is approaching the LBC studios in a commandeered tank from Chelsea Barracks ....

Lmao ! That’s so funny .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited June 2019

isam said:

There is a way out of this for Boris; it emerges that his girlfriend was the aggressor and he was being gentlemanly in not revealing so. I have had bust ups where girlfriends have kicked and scratched me, and, had the neighbours had a glass to the wall, they’d have probably heard them say ‘get off me’ when I kept them at arms length

This is getting rather desperate. How would that 'emerge'?

It's a case of 'he-said', 'she-said'. Even if she came out to say: "It was all my fault!", then it's far too late now, and it'll look just like a cover-up.
    Well the hypothesis that it was her doing most of the raised voice and crockery smashing action tally with the other neighbours reports (The ones that had the press come to them not the other way round).

Whatever Boris says he'll be pilloried so best just to keep it private as 70% of the public think it should be.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited June 2019

isam said:

Desperate stuff from the Boris apologists! I wouldn't worry, the Conservative party has been so skilfully infiltrated by Brexit fantasists that he could get his tackle out in front of HM the Queen and they would still vote him in.
    I’m not saying that is what happened, just that it would be a good way out for him.

I’m not a Conservative or a Boris supporter. He’s going to be leader of your party, not mine
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

Relevant to the last thread:

https://twitter.com/jameskirkup/status/1143427439751761920

People with nothing to lose are much more likely to take leaps of faith. The SDP was formed in large part because many MPs feared deselection.

He does not belong in the Bluekip party formerly known as the Conservatives. I hope politicians like him find a welcoming and successful home in a broad church re-invigorated LibDems.
    This - I do wonder how well he would do as the existing Lib Dem MP in that constituency in the next election (by the looks of it the referendum result was roughly 51:49% )
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    TOPPING said:

He has definitely had voice coaching - much softer, less strident. The new softer, caring Boris.

Still a useless twat, though.

In the Kuenssberg interview I was trying to think of who his speech patterns reminded me of and eventually realised it was Dominic Raab. Somehow without the clownishness, it's much more obvious that there's no substance.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    More back of a fag packet stuff. He really is hopeless. He makes TMay look like a consummate leader. I used to think he would be fun to have a piss up in brewery with, but I don't think he could even manage that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    More Boris crap.

Refuses to recognize the IFS figures on his tax plans.

I guess as First Lord of Treasury he will refuse to recognize the Treasury Red Book as well.

#TotallyUnfitForPM
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    HYUFD said:

Chris Davies got the highest Tory voteshare since the 1960s in Brecon and Radnor though in 2017 so clearly he has a strong personal vote and deserves the chance to stand again.

Had he been jailed like Onasanya it may have been different but he faced a fine and community service instead and has faced his punishment

Why do the Tories think that a convicted fraudster should be their candidate? Are they so short of talent that they cannot find anyone else to stand who does not have a criminal conviction?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    isam said:

isam said:

It's a case of 'he-said', 'she-said'. Even if she came out to say: "It was all my fault!", then it's far too late now, and it'll look just like a cover-up.
    Apologies for being open minded
    You're not being 'open-minded'. You're being hilariously biased.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More back of a fag packet stuff. He really is hopeless. He makes TMay look like a consummate leader. I used to think he would be fun to have a piss up in brewery with, but I don't think he could even manage that.
    Good luck Tories! You are about to saddle yourselves with an albatross.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

nichomar said:

Chris Davies can either prove to the satisfaction of his constituents that he is a fit and proper person to be their MP, or he can own his failure. Seems sensible given the comparatively low bar for triggering the byelection.

Low bar? The legal requirement is 10% of those on the electoral roll and in this case nearly 20% actually signed.
    But more than 20% backed him at the last General Election didn't they?

Perhaps a fairer way of doing a recall would be to have 2 options on the ballot: I wish to recall, I do not wish to recall, with a recall succeeding if it clears 10% and has more than those saying do not wish to recall.
    Let’s see how the conservatives sell that on the doorstep.

I recollect Morley, Devine, Moran, Chaytor, MacShane and Illsley, all Labour, all convicted, and mostly carted off to jail.

Yes and there was also a Tory peer I think, but these are only a few compared to the total number of MPs who were making excessive claims and manipulating the second homes arrangements to their advantage, I guess that was in the 100s?
    Then there was the Tory guy who employed his son as a 'researcher' in Westminster while he was a full-time student at Newcastle Uni.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:
    Seriously? More lifting of lower pay out of income tax. Hardly anyone will be paying it at this rate. So where is the money coming from?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    If I were a Tory MP backing Hunt, I would be targetting some of his more influential supproters. For Boris to come out with this bluster is one thing, but the others are struggling to keep up. Even Patel - not usually short of a few words - was trying hard to stick t (today's) script.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,234
    HYUFD said:

10 000 signed, the LDs got 12 000 votes in Brecon and Radnor in 2017 so not one 2017 Tory voter may have signed it
    And if you believe that... I guess you are a CCHQ Intern on strict rebuttal duty, but most PB commentators a profit seeking realists, so there really is no point... The tanks really are in Baghdad and the Republican Guard has dissolved.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

Scott_P said:
    Remind me he was Foreign Sec during the crucial negotiations and his ultra buddy Raab was Brexit Sec.

This is just more tinkerbell brexit.
    Why cant he say something along the lines of he will renegotiate with the EU, building on the earlier exploratory negotiations without any of TM's red lines as preconditions but still try and get as close to meeting those lines as we can. It would not include the backstop, and we will get the outline of the plan agreed before October 31st with an exit date before the end of the year.

That would be credible, plausible and is presumably what he is trying to do. It would give him plenty of scope for negotiation with the EU, ERG, Tory remainers, and Labour leavers.

Would it really cost him the election? The alternative is Hunt who does not have a plan either.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited June 2019
    We should spend this money on the NHS.

The monarchy cost British taxpayers £67m during 2018-19 - a 41% increase on the previous financial year.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal-accounts-this-is-why-the-monarchy-cost-41-more-last-year-11748503
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Now we have Tim from Ruislip on the line...

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1143442639024459777

His CV is blandishment after blandishment. It is achievement light, other than his academic record. He is best qualified to be a polemicist, or game show host, both of which he is quite good at. He should stick to these, and someone should tell him that misplaced self belief and ego are not adequate substitutes for proper experience and accomplishment.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Yay! Another by-election!

Only the 5th of this parliament thus far.... (and only the fourth contested by Cons, Lab, LDs)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

The monarchy cost British taxpayers £67m during 2018-19 - a 41% increase on the previous financial year.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-royal-accounts-this-is-why-the-monarchy-cost-41-more-last-year-11748503

£1 per year per person? Not too bad :p
  • Options

If only we had a rich royal family who could fund themselves independently instead of choosing a family on benefits.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Scott_P said:
    The majority of the Conservative membership don't care. Boris might roll up and spout complete drivel 24/7 and still get elected as leader, which is clearly frustrating for sounder Conservatives including those Tory PBers not on the Boris cheerleader list.

There is a Trumpian level of delusion among Borisian supporters who just cover their ears and shout La La La as Boris La La Land looms ever closer.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Chris Davies got the highest Tory voteshare since the 1960s in Brecon and Radnor though in 2017 so clearly he has a strong personal vote and deserves the chance to stand again.

Had he been jailed like Onasanya it may have been different but he faced a fine and community service instead and has faced his punishment

Why do the Tories think that a convicted fraudster should be their candidate? Are they so short of talent that they cannot find anyone else to stand who does not have a criminal conviction?

Short of talent? May I introduce you to a certain Boris Johnson? :lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

They are a bunch of benefit scroungers.

Apply the benefit cap to these parasites.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Amazing u turn on tax from Bozo .

One week give a tax cut for higher earners , then realizes this is a complete vote loser for most of the country and a gift to Labour swivels and now is the champion of the poor ! Bless !
  • Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:
    The majority of the Conservative membership don't care. Boris might roll up and spout complete drivel 24/7 and still get elected as leader, which is clearly frustrating for sounder Conservatives including those Tory PBers not on the Boris cheerleader list.

There is a Trumpian level of delusion among Borisian supporters who just cover their ears and shout La La La as Boris La La Land looms ever closer.
    I just hope there will be a party left to save at the end of it
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I trump your Johnson with a Grayling.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Fenster said:

I don't think Boris is that bad on LBC. Tough questioning. He's certainly a lot more interesting and listenable than May or Corbyn.

Are you serious? Ferrari asked him 100 times about the 'Mellor' photo and he wouldn't answer. He was laughably terrible.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Not just "ourselves" (though I am becoming unsure as to whether I am one), but also the country and the wider world. Still, Brexit has made us a laughing stock, why not go the full monty and have a PM who is an inept clown and a LoTO who is as thick as a plank?
  • Options

If only we had a rich royal family who could fund themselves independently instead of choosing a family on benefits.
    The Crown Estate (plus the Duchies) dos of course generate hundreds of millions of pounds a year for the Exchequer, plus a substantial increase in capital value.
  • Options

RobD said:

They are a bunch of benefit scroungers.

Apply the benefit cap to these parasites.
    [Checks to see if HYUFD is around]

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
  • Options
    Off topic: any recommendations for a good hotel in Manchester. Going there in a couple of weeks to see son graduate.

Thank you.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

If Boris and the loons take over the Conservative Party it would be a political organisation with which I would have nothing in common and hence I would see no particular reason to be a member of it. Nor vote for it in particular, except for the fact that were I not to vote for it I might be enabling a greater ill.

Do I rate an anti-free market capitalist, anti-western, anti-semite in charge of a Labour government as a greater ill than anything Boris can turn the Conservative Party into? Yes. Yes I do.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    nico67 said:

Amazing u turn on tax from Bozo .

One week give a tax cut for higher earners , then realizes this is a complete vote loser for most of the country and a gift to Labour swivels and now is the champion of the poor ! Bless !

tbh I think Boris said this in the BBC debate but we were mesmerised by Rory's complete inability to work a chair.
  • Options

If I were a Tory MP backing Hunt, I would be targetting some of his more influential supproters. For Boris to come out with this bluster is one thing, but the others are struggling to keep up. Even Patel - not usually short of a few words - was trying hard to stick t (today's) script.

Individual ministers are going to be working harder than ever under a Boris premiership. He will be the figurehead and give general direction. And that general direction will be to go sort of in that direction - he'll make Cameron look like a Mayite micromanager.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. B2, there are some good deals available. I got the first three Chronicles of the Black Gate, by Phil Tucker, for just 99p, and that must be the equivalent of a thousand pages or so.

Of course, such great deals often make it very difficult for an author to make a living (although not always. David Weber's first two Honor Harrington e-books were free a short time ago).
  • Options

The Crown Estate (plus the Duchies) dos of course generate hundreds of millions of pounds a year for the Exchequer, plus a substantial increase in capital value.
    If they generate all this money for the Exchequer, they are by extension earning it. All the more reasons why they shouldn't expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for luxurious living standards. Very bad PR for the Royals
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic: any recommendations for a good hotel in Manchester. Going there in a couple of weeks to see son graduate.

Thank you.

Budget?

If you won't spend anytime in the room except sleeping (as they are tiny) I'm starting to use MotelOne and both theirs are more central than the Premier Inn / Travelodges.

Crowne Plaza was OK the last time we stayed there..

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Remind me he was Foreign Sec during the crucial negotiations and his ultra buddy Raab was Brexit Sec.

Why cant he say something along the lines of he will renegotiate with the EU, building on the earlier exploratory negotiations without any of TM's red lines as preconditions but still try and get as close to meeting those lines as we can. It would not include the backstop, and we will get the outline of the plan agreed before October 31st with an exit date before the end of the year.

That would be credible, plausible and is presumably what he is trying to do. It would give him plenty of scope for negotiation with the EU, ERG, Tory remainers, and Labour leavers.

Would it really cost him the election? The alternative is Hunt who does not have a plan either.
    Because he has created his own red line: 31st October date.

What is just utterly :lol: is that this was handed down to us by the dreaded gnomes of Brussels! Boris has only adopted because Raab did and they both want to out-Farage Farage.

The history books will tear this clown to pieces.
  • Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

The Tory party has split, it just hasn’t realised.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I trump your Johnson with a Grayling.
    I just about trump your Grayling Top Trump card with a Corbyn (holding Mark Francois in reserve).
  • Options

If they generate all this money for the Exchequer, they are by extension earning it. All the more reasons why they shouldn't expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for luxurious living standards. Very bad PR for the Royals
    I don't think there's any tab for the taxpayer to keep up. I believe they are now funded out of the profits of the estate only?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    JackW said:

Your comparison with Trump needs to take cognizance of the fact that Trump won (and broke Jack's ARSE in the process).

Trump won.

I am not a Tory, but I can see that there is a logical argument for the Tory party to vote Boris.

An election is coming.

Even if you don't believe a word Boris says, you may still conclude that he is more likely to win an election than Hunt.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    How many of these venerable MPs are thinking of standing down or not?

https://twitter.com/AmIRightSir/status/1143450140285517824
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Question: Should BoJo seek a GE immediately on taking office - before a no confidence vote is called - would he get two-thirds of the House of Commons to vote in favour of a GE (as rquired by the FTPA)?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

JackW said:

Your comparison with Trump needs to take cognizance of the fact that Trump won (and broke Jack's ARSE in the process).

Trump won.

I am not a Tory, but I can see that there is a logical argument for the Tory party to vote Boris.

An election is coming.

Even if you don't believe a word Boris says, you may still conclude that he is more likely to win an election than Hunt.
    Yes, but've seen what's happening with Trump. Look at Erdogan in Istanbul!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

There will always be a place for a centre-right political party in the UK. Whether it will be called the Conservative Party is less certain and certainly not something that one would have expected to say after the 2015 election.
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

If you won't spend anytime in the room except sleeping (as they are tiny) I'm starting to use MotelOne and both theirs are more central than the Premier Inn / Travelodges.

Budget? The clue is she doesn't want to crash on the boy's floor. Five stars with a spa and Michelin restaurant should hit the spot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't think there's any tab for the taxpayer to keep up. I believe they are now funded out of the profits of the estate only?
    The beeb said this morning that the bill for the £2M renovation of Harry's "cottage" was paid by the taxpayer
  • Options

RobD said:

The beeb said this morning that the bill for the £2M renovation of Harry's "cottage" was paid by the taxpayer
    Might have been over and above the normal amount they get, but still they are a net contributor to the exchequer.
  • Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

The Tory party has split, it just hasn’t realised.
    I think you are right. The question is where that split leads. I am only keeping my membership so I can vote in the next leadership election after this current farce.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The direct profits of the Duchies are applied to some of the costs of the monarchy, whereas the tax paid from the Duchies, plus the Crown Estate, are I believe remitted to the Treasury and then a contribution to Buckingham Palace and Balmoral and state events is passed back.

If you think of the Crown Estate as an asset of the monarchy, then 'the monarchy' runs at a profit. If you think the Crown Estate and the Duchies are public resources, clearly it runs at a loss. It's sort of immaterial.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Might have been over and above the normal amount they get, but still they are a net contributor to the exchequer.
    I’m a net contributor to the Exchequer will the government give me a few million to renovate my house?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

It seems somehow unfair that Bill Cash might not be in the Commons to see Brexit.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I’m a net contributor to the Exchequer will the government give me a few million to renovate my house?
    Will you then still be a net contributor? :p
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The Crown Estate should be owned by the government. At no point has inheritance tax etc been paid on it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I think Bill Cash is prepared to die on the floor of the House of Commons, if required.
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

Depending on cost, I might treat myself as such a special outing and I have a weakness for nice hotels, having spent time as a child with my grandmother in the sorts of old-fashioned Swiss hotels that appear in Anita Brookner novels.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

dr_spyn said:

I think Bill Cash is prepared to die on the floor of the House of Commons, if required.
    He might see Brexit as a fitting swansong for retirement.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What is just utterly :lol: is that this was handed down to us by the dreaded gnomes of Brussels! Boris has only adopted because Raab did and they both want to out-Farage Farage.

Brexit will rank amongst the biggest blunders in British history such as the loss of the American colonies and Charles I's attempt to rule without parliament.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Deleted as original has been fixed.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

dr_spyn said:

It seems somehow unfair that Bill Cash might not be in the Commons to see Brexit.
    He'll be queueing for medicines or, one hopes, otherwise suffering in some way.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    isam said:

isam said:

I’m not saying that is what happened, just that it would be a good way out for him.

I’m not a Conservative or a Boris supporter. He’s going to be leader of your party, not mine
    If he tries to blame the girlfriend isn't there the danger then that she goes public with what she found on his lap top that kicked the whole thing off?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Well the hypothesis that it was her doing most of the raised voice and crockery smashing action tally with the other neighbours reports (The ones that had the press come to them not the other way round).

Whatever Boris says he'll be pilloried so best just to keep it private as 70% of the public think it should be.

Pretty much agree with that. I don't feel much different about Boris after this than I did before.

I've got more interest in the police's actions.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He might see Brexit as a fitting swansong for retirement.
    Yep, a policy that will prove as pointless as his whole career
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Biased to someone I’m not going to vote for from a party I’m not a member of. 👍🏻

Hilarious take!

We’ll end this now, can’t have you today
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Brexit will rank amongst the biggest blunders in British history such as the loss of the American colonies and Charles I's attempt to rule without parliament.
    It is perhaps the only upside of Boris winning. He will need to own the blunder. I hope he ends up with a humiliation that is proportionate to the damage that he has caused British business and our prosperity. Sadly karma is not always born out in real life.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

Depending on cost, I might treat myself as such a special outing and I have a weakness for nice hotels, having spent time as a child with my grandmother in the sorts of old-fashioned Swiss hotels that appear in Anita Brookner novels.
    If you want opulence go for the Midland or the Gotham. Slightly away from the centre there’s the Lowry.

Good hotels a rung below that are the Malmaison, Radisson, Novotel, Crowne Plaza (not the one on Oxford Road.)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

isam said:

isam said:

If he tries to blame the girlfriend isn't there the danger then that she goes public with what she found on his lap top that kicked the whole thing off?
    I wouldn’t say that he should try to blame her. But look, the kangaroo court has him guilty of things he’s not even accused of, so I won’t try thinking outside of those parameters any longer.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Biased to someone I’m not going to vote for from a party I’m not a member of. 👍🏻

Hilarious take!

Very weak argument. I could easily be biased in my view of a contest between, say, Tom Watson and Corbyn. I would strongly prefer Watson to Corbyn, even though I am not a member of their party
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Hilarious take!

Yep, biased. Biases don't just have to be based on political parties or affiliations ....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

That’s hilariously biased!

Sorry, I mean I pretty much agree with that,
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

If you want opulence go for the Midland or the Gotham. Slightly away from the centre there’s the Lowry.

Good hotels a rung below that are the Malmaison, Radisson, Novotel, Crowne Plaza (not the one on Oxford Road.)
    I generally stay at the Midland (which I like very much), so I guess I go for opulence!
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Hilarious take!

Yep, biased. Biases don't just have to be based on political parties or affiliations ....
    They just have to exist in your little mind x
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Hilarious take!

Up to Josias I guess.
    The only way you can unilaterally end something is to stop posting.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    dr_spyn said:
    "Number one it never happened. Number Two she's not my type."

Hard core misogyny right there.

What a shame we have a man like this as president of the US.

Ah well, the clock is ticking.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

I generally stay at the Midland (which I like very much), so I guess I go for opulence!
    If I ever get married again I’m getting married in the Midland.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Hilarious take!

They just have to exist in your little mind x
    Hmm, irony alert. Brexit fanatic accuses someone else of having a small mind.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

dr_spyn said:

Last words: "The European Communities Act 1972..."
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

If I ever get married again I’m getting married in the Midland.
    If that is a proposal, I am very flattered but I have to decline.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

Hilton Deansgate is in a good spot
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

isam said:

I wouldn’t say that he should try to blame her. But look, the kangaroo court has him guilty of things he’s not even accused of, so I won’t try thinking outside of those parameters any longer.
    I am only interested in whether he can do the job of PM. Based on evidence I would say he can't. The fact I also think he is a dishonest wanker is a side issue.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

dr_spyn said:
    "Number one it never happened. Number Two she's not my type."

Hard core misogyny right there.

What a shame we have a man like this as president of the US.

Ah well, the clock is ticking.
    We are about to have our own version here.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    OllyT said:

How do you know there was something on his laptop?

Maybe Carrie had just mislaid the computer cable? That can lead to very serious altercations.

When the police investigated Layla & Richard, they were both carted off to jail in connection with assault and breach of the peace. It makes Boris & Carrie sound like a funeral tea party in comparison.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    If BXP stand in Brecon & Radnor, is it possible Tories could slip to 3rd place?
  • Options

If BXP stand in Brecon & Radnor, is it possible Tories could slip to 3rd place?

Possible but I think they have enough fundamental strength there to hold 2nd. Well that's what my workings gave anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That is brilliant! I wonder if he is saying to Carrie; "look, hitting the iceberg is going to be great. This ship is, er, well unsinkable, and well, if I am Captain we will just get on with it and smash into it on 31st October, and you know what, everything will be fine"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

Budget?

Thank you.

Hilton Deansgate is in a good spot
    It is however a Hilton and I saw that as a Diamond member who is currently on my 45th day of staying in one this year...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It is perhaps the only upside of Boris winning. He will need to own the blunder. I hope he ends up with a humiliation that is proportionate to the damage that he has caused British business and our prosperity. Sadly karma is not always born out in real life.
    No humiliation could possibly be big enough for that. Fortunately though Boris is still quite young so he will have many years in which he will be condemned on all sides for his narcissistic destructiveness. Chamberlain was dead before history buried him in ordure, but Boris (and Cameron for that matter) will suffer that fate whilst they are still living.
This discussion has been closed.