Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s first battle as PM with the BXP looks set to be at B

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Imagine the most Bavarian scene possible, Alpen foothills; locals out in traditional garb, houses with flowered wooden balconies. Sound of a brass band ..
    That's where I am right now.

Mittenwald ?
    https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1141641463601815552?s=19
    Bavaria has some wonderful places.
    Corpus Christi, parade, short church service, now they're all... you guessed it in the beer garden
    my btother lives in Northe Germany

hes just recovering from a Tursday to Tuesday town binge last weekend
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

I wonder if he is from one of the remaining Orange Lodge families, they still exist in Liverpool but I would have thought that was dying out. He clearly follows most of the DUP line in politics. He probably marches with the pipes and drums to celebrate the battle of the Boyne each year.
    When people say they want diversity in politics/life in general, what do they mean?
    Yes unless that diversity seeks to prevent others having their diversity.
    I think the truth is that people who claim to want a diverse society actually want a conformist society but don’t like to think of themselves as authoritarian. True diversity means accepting that views like those of @Viceroy_of_Orange are part and parcel of society and don’t need to be put under the microscope or corrected. If we all have to think the same, then we aren’t diverse
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Excuse my ignorance but is it legal for people heavily involved in this process to bet on the outcome?

Politicians, unlike everyone else, expect to be able to lie to the public for profit without legal consequence. So naturally they would expect to be allowed to insider deal as well.
    And in the case of Political Advertising are legally allowed to lie without consequence as well..
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

I wonder if he is from one of the remaining Orange Lodge families, they still exist in Liverpool but I would have thought that was dying out. He clearly follows most of the DUP line in politics. He probably marches with the pipes and drums to celebrate the battle of the Boyne each year.
    When people say they want diversity in politics/life in general, what do they mean?
    I think the truth is that people who claim to want a diverse society actually want a conformist society but don’t like to think of themselves as authoritarian. True diversity means accepting that views like those of @Viceroy_of_Orange are part and parcel of society and don’t need to be put under the microscope or corrected. If we all have to think the same, then we aren’t diverse
    Viceroy has the right to hold whatever views he wants.

He shouldn't have the right to take liberties away from others.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

AndyJS said:

Aussie batsman hits a six in the fifth over, total silence from the crowd. Most of the spectators must be Bangladeshi supporters.

Not a open curry house to be found within 50 miles of Nottingham!
    National Emergency!

Not saying I like curries more than is possibly good for me or anything......
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Morning PB - It's Knock Em' Out Thursday!!! :D
  • Options

isam said:

I admit I am in the minority on this issue, sadly.

But there's still a fair proportion of us who find it wrong.
    You still haven't given a single non-religious reason why secular civil marriage should be denied to gays.
    The relationship in my eyes is not equal to a straight relationship, so therefore I do not want it approved or ranked by the law in such a way.
    Why is it not 'equal' in your view? What's your reasoning?
    One is immoral and the other is not.
    Crikey, you're so deep in the closet you're having adventures in Narnia aren't you?
    I thought he had admitted being gay?
    Admitted? Confessed to? Remarked that he was?

Who cares? So long as the horses aren't frightened!
    Sorry if ‘admitted’ is considered pejorative. In the context of being accused of being in the closet, I thought it was the right word to use.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited June 2019

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Is this petition really likely to succeed? It seems to me that this was pretty technical without any of the moral opprobrium of Peterborough.

I'm uncomfortable with recall petitions. If an MP is deemed unfit for for office, because for example a criminal conviction, there should be a process for triggering a by-election. Whether there is a good case for dismissal on grounds of personal conduct or not, it shouldn't be left to the whim of a recall petition IMO.
    One purpose of the recall petition is to protect MPs from abuse of the process by the Executive. It's the electorate who decide.

In this way it has some similarities with the jury system, where the ability of a jury to act on its "whims" is an important defence against authoritarianism.
    I think recall petitions are confused.

If it's a disciplinary mechanism, in my view this should be a process, as Indeed jury trials are. The decision could be made by a jury but more likely a panel of senior civil servants or perhaps judges, who are working to a set of guidelines. The automatic outcome of any such decision would be a by-election.

If on the other hand recall petitions are a tool of direct democracy there doesn't need to be an implication that the MP has misbehaved, but simply voters decide they want a change and aren't prepared to wait until the next general election to get it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Is it true there will be multiple rounds today? If so what times should we expect results?
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

He hasn’t got that right, who says he has?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Imagine the most Bavarian scene possible, Alpen foothills; locals out in traditional garb, houses with flowered wooden balconies. Sound of a brass band ..

Mittenwald ?
    Schutzenfest - theyll all be getting hammered for the next 5 days :smiley:
    More than at Oktoberfest?
    Oktoberfest is for tourists

The real hammerings happen in the towns and villages over the summer and the big Rhineland Cities in the run up to Lent.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    What time is/are the vote(s) today , anyone know?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Is this petition really likely to succeed? It seems to me that this was pretty technical without any of the moral opprobrium of Peterborough.

I'm uncomfortable with recall petitions. If an MP is deemed unfit for for office, because for example a criminal conviction, there should be a process for triggering a by-election. Whether there is a good case for dismissal on grounds of personal conduct or not, it shouldn't be left to the whim of a recall petition IMO.
    One purpose of the recall petition is to protect MPs from abuse of the process by the Executive. It's the electorate who decide.

In this way it has some similarities with the jury system, where the ability of a jury to act on its "whims" is an important defence against authoritarianism.

If it's a disciplinary mechanism, in my view this should be a process, as Indeed jury trials are. The decision could be made by a jury but more likely a panel of senior civil servants or perhaps judges, who are working to a set of guidelines. The automatic outcome of any such decision would be a by-election.

If on the other hand recall petitions are a tool of direct democracy there doesn't need to be an implication that the MP has misbehaved, but simply voters decide they want a change and aren't prepared to wait until the next general election to get it.
    Actually there does need to be an implication that the MP has misbehaved. A petition can only start on limited grounds, this one was due to a conviction in a court of law. So a jury has already been involved (or would have been if he hadn't pled guilty IIRC).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    isam said:

isam said:

I admit I am in the minority on this issue, sadly.

But there's still a fair proportion of us who find it wrong.
    You still haven't given a single non-religious reason why secular civil marriage should be denied to gays.
    The relationship in my eyes is not equal to a straight relationship, so therefore I do not want it approved or ranked by the law in such a way.
    Why is it not 'equal' in your view? What's your reasoning?
    One is immoral and the other is not.
    Crikey, you're so deep in the closet you're having adventures in Narnia aren't you?
    I thought he had admitted being gay?
    Admitted? Confessed to? Remarked that he was?

Who cares? So long as the horses aren't frightened!
    Sorry if ‘admitted’ is considered pejorative. In the context of being accused of being in the closet, I thought it was the right word to use.
    I was trying to think of a word, or group of words that were as neutral as possible. Cf: admitted guilt.

Just getting in touch with my pedantic side, really.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eek said:

Why would Corbyn want Boris to go into an election as PM when he could ensure Boris isn't?

That's not the question. The question is if Corbyn wants an election or not.

All Boris has to say is we have Confidence in ourselves so will vote against any VONC but if you want an election vote for it. If Corbyn is then too frit to vote for an election he would be destroyed by both his own supporters and his opponents within the Labour Party.
    Deleted
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    kjohnw said:

Voting: 10am to 12 pm
    Result: 1pm

Voting: 3:30pm to 5:30pm
    Result: 6pm
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

He does. He wants marriage to be illegal for legal relationships he views as immoral.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Thanks to all for your supportive comments earlier. They are appreciated.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    That ES editorial reads as though GO is playing BB for the lazy, duplicitous, solipsistic git he is - I will be the (eg Northern) power(house) behind the throne is how it seems to have been written.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That ES editorial reads as though GO is playing BB for the lazy, duplicitous, solipsistic git he is - I will be the (eg Northern) power(house) behind the throne is how it seems to have been written.

Who is BB?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

The real hammerings happen in the towns and villages over the summer and the big Rhineland Cities in the run up to Lent.
    Well as a good Muslim boy Oktoberfest was wasted on me.

I'm off to Stuttgart next month, any places I should visit?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    kjohnw said:

Voting now. Result 1pm.

Then 3pm to 5pm voting result 6pm
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

He does. He wants marriage to be illegal for legal relationships he views as immoral.
    He is entitled to want that, but he doesn’t have any right to take liberties away from others
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

He is entitled to want that, but he doesn’t have any right to take liberties away from others
    That was my point. But he wants the law changed to take away those liberties.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is it true there will be multiple rounds today? If so what times should we expect results?
    First result 1pm. Second result 6pm.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

kjohnw said:

Voting now. Result 1pm.

Then 3pm to 5pm result 6pm
    Half an hour later for this afternoon.

10 to noon: 4th ballot
    1pm: result on 1 o'clock news
    3.30 to 5.30: 5th ballot (if needed!!)
    6pm: result on 6 o'clock news (note only half the time for counting. Tories love BBC News!)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    The Standard endorses Boris, though with this snark: "Mr Johnson may be loose with words when it comes to the fates of others but never when it comes to his own."

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-we-back-boris-as-the-pm-to-turn-britain-around-a4171816.html
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

I’m getting into an argument about a subject I don’t care much about here, but I’d say he is entitled to want the law changed too. Diversity means diversity of opinions, not gay, straight, black, white, Remain, Leave people all having the same opinion.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

kjohnw said:

Voting now. Result 1pm.

6pm: result on 6 o'clock news (note only half the time for counting. Tories love BBC News!)
    Tories [HEART] BBC - Always have! :D
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited June 2019
    Excellent thread header.

I don't believe for a moment that the Brexit Party will help Boris. After everything that has happened they will go for the win in B&R.

It should be a LibDem gain either way. At least, I 'think' so.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

<

Actually there does need to be an implication that the MP has misbehaved. A petition can only start on limited grounds, this one was due to a conviction in a court of law. So a jury has already been involved (or would have been if he hadn't pled guilty IIRC).

Yes, it'd be total chaos if all MPs could be recalled on a whim at any time - we'd have hundreds of recall petitions running at any one moment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?
    There really is nothing not to like about Bavaria. Good food, outstanding beer, stunning scenery, a flourishing economy, and right wing politics.

As an aside, I wonder why the Alpine countries, and regions are generally very right wing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Who is BB?
    BJ
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The recall petition is going to be very close to 10% IMO.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

depends what you like and how long you are staying

the centre still has some old bits we didnt blow the crap out of and there are lots of museums

but if you have time there are better things outside the city within about an hours drive - Black Forest, Spa towns, Rothenburg
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Just read your post about it. Very very sorry to hear that must have been extremely distressing. Don't be surprised if it stays with you for a bit. Talking is good!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

the centre still has some old bits we didnt blow the crap out of and there are lots of museums

but if you have time there are better things outside the city within about an hours drive - Black Forest, Spa towns, Rothenburg
    Depends on what he likes and how long he can stay? Oh Mr Alanbrooke, behave.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

My point is that if the issue is serious enough to trigger a recall petition, you should go straight to a by-election. If there needs to be an element of judgment, signers of petitions aren't the best placed people to make that judgment.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

kjohnw said:

Voting now. Result 1pm.

Doubt it after last night. The six oclock news managed to miss the actual announcement. Running a VT instead and cutting back to the room just as the chair was finishing off.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The recall petition is going to be very close to 10% IMO.

18% my guess
  • Options
    Re the below, I will simply add this. Freedom of Speech is a curious paradox. Or, rather, the paradox is that in order to protect freedom we sometimes have to curtail it. So the paradigm that you can hold whatever view you want is not correct. Or, rather, you may think it to yourself but the moment you espouse it you come under the norms of wider society.

See, thing is, we know that to be true if someone suggests you go and kill an MP. Or that it's fine for a teacher to have sex with an 11 year old pupil. Or to lynch a black person. So for incitement to violence, paedophilia, or racial hatred we already have in place checks to the freedom of speech. And thank goodness we do.

So, no, you can't just announce whatever hate fills your head. You can't act on them. And you can't incite others to.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

Just read your post about it. Very very sorry to hear that must have been extremely distressing. Don't be surprised if it stays with you for a bit. Talking is good!
    +1. I know I disagree vehemently with Justin on some topics, but that must have been a horrid experience. I hope the effects don't linger with him, and that the scum are caught and get an appropriate sentence.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

I’m getting into an argument about a subject I don’t care much about here, but I’d say he is entitled to want the law changed too. Diversity means diversity of opinions, not gay, straight, black, white, Remain, Leave people all having the same opinion.
    ignore my comment - wrong thread
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352

TOPPING said:

Who is BB?
    Bad Boris
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

Good morning. Hunt to go out in the next round might be value.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.159824743

In a very thin market you can get £13 on at 18s Hunt to get fewest votes. Remember that you are betting on whether Boris's team rigs the ballot, and if so, for whom. 5.7 Gove and 1.16 Saj. I'd not recommend taking the 5.9 Boris! Presumably the layer hopes to trap people who think they are backing him to win.
  • Options

Re the below, I will simply add this. Freedom of Speech is a curious paradox. Or, rather, the paradox is that in order to protect freedom we sometimes have to curtail it. So the paradigm that you can hold whatever view you want is not correct. Or, rather, you may think it to yourself but the moment you espouse it you come under the norms of wider society.

See, thing is, we know that to be true if someone suggests you go and kill an MP. Or that it's fine for a teacher to have sex with an 11 year old pupil. Or to lynch a black person. So for incitement to violence, paedophilia, or racial hatred we already have in place checks to the freedom of speech. And thank goodness we do.

So, no, you can't just announce whatever hate fills your head. You can't act on them. And you can't incite others to.

On that issue, IMHO, the threshold is whether someone is inciting another to commit a crime.

Someone should be allowed to argue that there should be no age of consent, for example, but encouraging someone to rape an 11 year old should be a crime.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    6 Predictions - have no idea what number 7 is

1. Boris Elected
    2. Failed Negotiation
    3. Nationalist Bluster
    4. Early Election
    5. Comedy campaign
    6. Crash No Deal
    7. ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    Good to know that the best bit of Stuttgart seems to be leaving it!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

kjohnw said:

Voting now. Result 1pm.

Doubt it after last night. The six oclock news managed to miss the actual announcement. Running a VT instead and cutting back to the room just as the chair was finishing off.
    That will teach the 1922 not to change the returning officer making the announcement. The director would have been looking for Cheryl to stand up.
  • Options
    btw just recently came to the thread. What the fuckety double fuck is @Viceroy_of_Orange on about?
  • Options
    I have a nasty feeling that there will be some major tactical voting this morning and this afternoon.

The only amusing side of that would be that it would serve Michael Gove (and Sarah) right. But someone should certainly turn the heat up on Boris and Gove is almost certainly the one who could do that. As Boris' supporters realise.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

Diversity of opinion yes.

Diversity of rights no. If I as a Dawkins style atheist say I think organised religion is immoral and that marriage between two religious people should be illegal then am I entitled to get the law changed to reflect that?

Tyranny of the majority is not ok. Taking away the liberties of others is not acceptable.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

6 Predictions - have no idea what number 7 is

1. Boris Elected
    2. Failed Negotiation
    3. Nationalist Bluster
    4. Early Election
    5. Comedy campaign
    6. Crash No Deal
    7. ?

Sortition.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

On that issue, IMHO, the threshold is whether someone is inciting another to commit a crime.

Someone should be allowed to argue that there should be no age of consent, for example, but encouraging someone to rape an 11 year old should be a crime.
    Where would the PIN sit?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:
    I

Tyranny of the majority is not ok. Taking away the liberties of others is not acceptable.
    This is from the person who is happy to the see the 'troubles' (intimidation, knee-capping, murder, hatred etc) return to Northern Ireland as long as he loses his backstop.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

It's a horrible thing to be attacked, Justin. The violation stays after the immediate fear and pain goes. Victim support charities have materials and other support.

I hope you recover soon. We all have a right to walk safely and without fear in public spaces.
  • Options
    Not good enough Ken, I was planning to vote for whomever your backed.

https://twitter.com/Alan_McGuinness/status/1141657770074288131
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:
    I

This is from the person who is happy to the see the 'troubles' (intimidation, knee-capping, murder, hatred etc) return to Northern Ireland as long as he loses his backstop.
    Yes for the EXACT same reason.

The risk of violence is bad.
    The taking away of fundamental liberties (the right to elect your government) is worse.

I am a classical liberal. The backstop is illiberal.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Who is BB?
    Bad Boris
    Barmy Boris. Although I agree he's bad, not mad.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:
    I

The responsibility for resorting to murder would lie with the murderers, in that situation, not with @Philip Thompson
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The Standard endorses Boris, though with this snark: "Mr Johnson may be loose with words when it comes to the fates of others but never when it comes to his own."

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-we-back-boris-as-the-pm-to-turn-britain-around-a4171816.html

Wot??? Has Osborne taken a sickie today?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Porsche Museum.

https://www.porsche.com/museum/en/sonderausstellungen/

They've got a special exhibition on the 50th anniversary of the 917.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:
    I

The responsibility for resorting to murder would lie with the murderers, in that situation, not with @Philip Thompson
    You mean the freedom fighters?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Porsche Museum.

https://www.porsche.com/museum/en/sonderausstellungen/

They've got a special exhibition on the 50th anniversary of the 917.
    Cheers, I miss my Cayenne.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    Think of Dungannon with lots of car factories :smile:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    FF43 said:

justin124 said:

It's a horrible thing to be attacked, Justin. The violation stays after the immediate fear and pain goes. Victim support charities have materials and other support.

I hope you recover soon. We all have a right to walk safely and without fear in public spaces.
    I was mugged a couple of decades ago on a train by two guys with a knife.

It is a very disturbing experience, and for a while it feels like one that will be life-changing.

Thankfully, in my case, the effect faded fairly quickly, I hope the same will be true for Justin.
  • Options

Wot??? Has Osborne taken a sickie today?
    I did think he was trolling his readers.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Someone will have sweaty palms this morning:

https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/1141656447325020160
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    justin124 said:

Just catching up with this. Can I add my good wishes and thoughts to you. Look after yourself.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    The sausage museum is only four hours away.

https://bratwurstmuseum.de/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I've always thought that The Saj is Dr. Evil.
  • Options

It's a weird editorial. It's as if Osborne has been taken hostage by Johnson and wants to get a coded message to the outside world, without having parts of his body chopped off by his kidnappers.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    This back stop. I don't understand all the fuss about it. Apparently there is a technological solution to the Irish border that means we won't need one. Gove et al keep talking about it. So with technology there will be no border and thus no back stop.

So why are the people who insist technology is the fix insist the back stop must go? Is it because they know they are lying about the technology solution?
  • Options

The law already discriminates between relationship types, that is why marriage between relatives/marriage between more than two people is illegal.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    I'm off to Belfast next March, my friend is getting married there, she tells me his side of the family are evangelical Prods, so we should get on fine.
  • Options

This back stop. I don't understand all the fuss about it. Apparently there is a technological solution to the Irish border that means we won't need one. Gove et al keep talking about it. So with technology there will be no border and thus no back stop.

So why are the people who insist technology is the fix insist the back stop must go? Is it because they know they are lying about the technology solution?

There you go with your logic an' all.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:
    Surely Drax would be the first choice.
  • Options

The law already discriminates between relationship types, that is why marriage between relatives/marriage between more than two people is illegal.
    So what's the gig? As I mentioned, I think I came to this halfway in (ooh-er). What do you want and why?
  • Options
    ... should give him his full name I guess.
    Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:
    Surely Drax would be the first choice.
    Sir Hugo Drax was the great-grandfather of the current MP for South Dorset. The family kept a low profile after he tried to explode a nuclear weapon over London.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:
    I

Couldn't happen anyway, because now they are all Men of Peace who have put their weapons beyond use...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    I'm off to Belfast next March, my friend is getting married there, she tells me his side of the family are evangelical Prods, so we should get on fine.
    lol

it could well be a no alcohol affair !

if you get the chance do Titanic and Cathedral Quarter or Hillsborough Castle just outside Belfast

Her Maj has just spent some serious cash doing the place up
  • Options

Yes for the EXACT same reason.

The risk of violence is bad.
    The taking away of fundamental liberties (the right to elect your government) is worse.

I am a classical liberal. The backstop is illiberal.

The backstop is the prioritisation of the right of the larger GB to diverge from the EU over the right of the smaller NI not to be destabilised.

It is ultimately a choice.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    One of my nieces married someone from a Prod family. At some point after the engagement but before the wedding it was discovered that she wasn't a cradle atheist, but had been 'born' a Catholic.
    There was a certain amount of anguish.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    lol

if you get the chance do Titanic and Cathedral Quarter or Hillsborough Castle just outside Belfast

I thought the Titanic show was with EU money?
  • Options

No. Incest is illegal due to birth defects etc which causes harm, not due to morals.
  • Options

No. Incest is illegal due to birth defects etc which causes harm, not due to morals.
    Isn't the common retort amongst those who support gay marriage that marriage isn't just about procreation? So why are you using it now?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    I loved Stuttgart when I worked there for over a year in the eighties.
    The Staatsgalerie is worth visiting for the architecture as well as the art. It's a Spa town, I liked Das Leuze best for a swim. There's the Mercedes factory at UnterTurkheim and Porsche at Zuffenhausen if you like cars. There's a long park parallel to the main shopping street and beyond which includes the Opera House.
    Sorry if the info is out of date!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    lol

I thought the Titanic show was with EU money?
    Cash referred to Hillsborough Castle

https://www.hrp.org.uk/hillsborough-castle/#gs.k9ink6

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TOPPING said:

Who is BB?
    Denys Watkins-Pitchford
  • Options

Isn't the common retort amongst those who support gay marriage that marriage isn't just about procreation? So why are you using it now?
    Incest is illegal full stop. With or without marriage. You are comparing an illegal relationship for a legal one for some bizarre reason to justify trying to enforce your "morals" as law.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

Diversity of opinion yes.

Diversity of rights no. If I as a Dawkins style atheist say I think organised religion is immoral and that marriage between two religious people should be illegal then am I entitled to get the law changed to reflect that?

People can campaign to get the law changed for whatever they want in my opinion. I don’t see what you mean by ‘entitled’. No one is entitled to change any law
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mittenwald ?

Four days and cheers.
    I loved Stuttgart when I worked there for over a year in the eighties.
    The Staatsgalerie is worth visiting for the architecture as well as the art. It's a Spa town, I liked Das Leuze best for a swim. There's the Mercedes factory at UnterTurkheim and Porsche at Zuffenhausen if you like cars. There's a long park parallel to the main shopping street and beyond which includes the Opera House.
    Sorry if the info is out of date!
    No not at all

personally I prefer the country to the City.

There are lots of things to do in Stuttgart, but being a yokel I appreciated the surrounding countryside more

each to his own of course.
This discussion has been closed.