Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly 18 months to go before GE2015 a look at whether inc

124»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I can't recall which PBer used the expression last night - but calling EdM's approach to policy as "the Milky Bars are on me!" politics was bloody brilliant.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam tweets: "So the decision to cut ECB rates to new record lows was not unanimous... can anticipate a Bundesbank speech soon to clarify dissenting view."
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Plato said:

I can't recall which PBer used the expression last night - but calling EdM's approach to policy as "the Milky Bars are on me!" politics was bloody brilliant.

Stark Dawning - the drinking man's John Redwood....
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, some say having Incitatus in the Cabinet would improve it :p

Edited extra bit: and Goldflake/Innocent would make far better chief whips!

But it could go a bit Godfatheresque.

Waking up with the Chief Whip's head in your bed.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Many thanx - I LOL at it - just perfect.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The EU needs to step up and force Germany to introduce a minimum wage.

I'm in disbelief on so many levels.

(1) That (if you're correct) Germany doesn't have a minimum wage.
    (2) That you're suggesting the EU should be telling people what to do, because other countries have done it.
    (3) Too many other reasons.
  • Options
    James Forsyth notes the significance of the Welsh tax-raising powers for Scotland a week after some anonymous bloke on pb:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/11/the-union-is-in-peril/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987

RobD said:

The EU needs to step up and force Germany to introduce a minimum wage.

I'm in disbelief on so many levels.

(1) That (if you're correct) Germany doesn't have a minimum wage.
    (2) That you're suggesting the EU should be telling people what to do, because other countries have done it.
    (3) Too many other reasons.
    Holy crap I did not say that!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Goldflake and Innocent were bears a later emperor (Valentinian, I think) kept to dispose of petitioners that irked him. I suspect they would significantly reduce the number of backbench rebels.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Goldflake and Innocent were bears a later emperor (Valentinian, I think) kept to dispose of petitioners that irked him. I suspect they would significantly reduce the number of backbench rebels.

Oops.

So there is a gap in my classical history knowledge.

Could lead to a new idiom.

Do bears shit in the cabinet.

• Options
    we root for your dad.

The 6 Labour women not from Coventry don't seem to have a particularly high national profile. So I guess one of the 6 locals should be favourite to get the nomination.

AWS often produce a win for the outsider but it's usually when a) there are no local women running b) local female cllr with not much national experience vs outsider with national profile (senior trade unionist, spads, former mp, etc).
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder who will go for it for the CONs - Noonan again, maybe Allan Andrews or could even be my Dad lol. Suspect Cov South could well be Gary Riddley.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's probably the early Middle Ages rather than classical history as it's after the shift of the capital to Byzantium.

Interestingly, there was a bear who fought in WWII. Wojtek, pronounced Voytek, fought for the Poles (I think) after they found him as a cub. I think he lived out his days in a Scottish zoo.

Bears are fascinating animals. Very intelligent, capable of walking on two or four legs, able to swim and climb trees, run as fast as a horse, and have a superior sense of small than a dog. They're also amongst the most dextrous of animals.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Many thanx - I LOL at it - just perfect.
    It is a great phrase - definitely a keeper :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

we root for your dad.

The 6 Labour women not from Coventry don't seem to have a particularly high national profile. So I guess one of the 6 locals should be favourite to get the nomination.

AWS often produce a win for the outsider but it's usually when a) there are no local women running b) local female cllr with not much national experience vs outsider with national profile (senior trade unionist, spads, former mp, etc).

Pulpstar said:

Wonder who will go for it for the CONs - Noonan again, maybe Allan Andrews or could even be my Dad lol. Suspect Cov South could well be Gary Riddley.

Have a feeling Cov NE (Or NW) is not much hope for conservatives so I reckon they might give a youngish councillor a go to blood them so to speak. Allan Andrews maybe.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2013
    Mr Dancer.

A few years ago when I was in a part of America frequented by bears I was told if I saw one I shouldn't run away.

I should sing to them as that calms them.

With my taste in music what could go wrong ?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Mr Dancer.

A few years ago when I was in a part of America frequented by bears I was told if I saw one I shouldn't run away.

I should sing to them as that calms.

Just hand over your shoes...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Bears are fascinating animals.

I remember on QI they had a question about bears v lions fights which rather unfortunately took place in the past.

One of the reasons it didn't last was the bear won every time.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that sounds similar to dogs and chasing (ie if you run after a dog it'll run away, but if you run away from a dog it'll follow you).

I've heard you should stand still and raise one hand. If it doesn't leave you should raise the other. If it still doesn't leave you should kick the man next to you in the nuts and hope the bear takes long enough to eat him for you to run away.
  • Options
    Does anyone know more about this...

Protesters in Brittany breaking an Ecotax gantry

France is under pressure from European partners to reduce its public deficit. That has led to tax rises and fueled rising discontent. Opinion polls show François Hollande with the lowest approval rating of any French president on record.

The protest is against a proposed tax on heavy goods vehicles, despite the government suspending plans for the tax during the week. Protesters took matters into their own hands

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=89c_1383679408#3HMBOAPGTjaddXOv.99
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, I remember that question. The bears smashed the lions' skulls with their mighty paws, but bears are built so heavily the lions couldn't really hurt them. On that note, male brown bears never have tracking collars fitted, because their necks are wider than their heads, and the collars would just fall off.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2013
    Mr Dancer when I was in Australia I was told when Kangaroos are about to attack they suck their testicles in.

Obviously my mind which is like a Welsh Railway (one track and filthy) didn't hear the "in"
  • Options
    Next.

When it comes to shoes, I'm like a woman.

Nothing comes between my footwear and I
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, better than honey badgers, which reportedly attack your knackers with a view to ripping them off.

Incidentally, I may have slightly diverted the thread from its official topic. Ahem.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I remember on QI they had a question about bears v lions fights which rather unfortunately took place in the past.

Also, bears don't roar, unlike many films which have them roaring..
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, better than honey badgers, which reportedly attack your knackers with a view to ripping them off.

Incidentally, I may have slightly diverted the thread from its official topic. Ahem.

Well it's not the first time people have talked bollocks on PB.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    taffys said:

What bear type was it ?

Kodiaks ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Kodiaks ?

dunno to be honest, but if my memory serves the fights took place in the mining boom towns of the US and Canada in the 19th century, so I guess North American bears of some sort.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

According to Gibbon, Valentinian's three favourite commands (apart from throwing people to Innocence and Goldflake) were "burn him alive; strike his head from his shoulders; and let him be beaten with clubs till he expires". As a reward for her faithful service, Innocence was eventually returned to her native forests and set free.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Mr Dancer.

I should sing to them as that calms them.

Talking about your taste in music - did you see that @Peter_the_Punter tipped a horse called Crystal Swing earlier...
  • Options
    Mr. F, I'd forgotten that about Valentinian. However, he does seem to have been one of the last Western emperors who actually made an effort to secure the borders and rebuild imperial stability.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Mr. Eagles, that sounds similar to dogs and chasing (ie if you run after a dog it'll run away, but if you run away from a dog it'll follow you).

I've heard you should stand still and raise one hand. If it doesn't leave you should raise the other. If it still doesn't leave you should kick the man next to you in the nuts and hope the bear takes long enough to eat him for you to run away.

What you shouldn't do is to follow the example of some Canadian children at Toronto Zoo a few years ago, who thought Polar Bears were cute, cuddly, things, and climbed into their enclosure to play with them.

They were eaten.

Disney has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dr_spyn said:
    Thanks. A lot more informative than the video - though not quite as dramatic.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

What you shouldn't do is to follow the example of some Canadian children at Toronto Zoo a few years ago, who thought Polar Bears were cute, cuddly, things, and climbed into their enclosure to play with them.

They were eaten.

Disney has a lot to answer for.
    Polar bears are fascinating. Apparently, they're genetically brown bears who adapted to the Arctic sunshine by developing a white/reflective fur coat instead. Their biggest problem is getting too hot. You can see that they actually have black skin just by their nose, lips and paw pads.
  • Options
    I've just been using UKPR to average the polls taking from a month before and after the 18 mth to go marker going back to Feb 74 (but ignoring Oct 74). Of course this is not scientific but it does show up a few things. Rather than just look at the government, I also looked at how each party fared as well.

2005 was the closest the polls came to the final result. All parties were within 2% of their result. However all 3 parties did slightly worse at the election.

Labour always did worse on election day than 18 mths before. In 05 it was only 1%, in 83 it was only 2%. On both occasions they polled less than 10m votes on election day. If one averages the variance across all 9 elections examined the net deficit on election day was 6.7%. To get an idea if that had changed in the 21st Century I considered the subset from 97 onwards and that was slightly higher at 6.75% deficit. If one includes the last two elections only it was only a 2.5% deficit

The Tories have had mixed fortunes. Heath, Howard and Cameron did worse on election day than 18 months before. Thatcher, Major & Hague did better. However they have shown a deficit at the last two elections and David Cameron's run in performance in 2009-10 was the worst that any Tory leader had had (-5%). Over the 9 elections the Tories on balance had a average improvement in their fortunes over the last 18 mths of 3.6%, Since 1997 that figure had dropped to an improvement of 2.75% and if only the last two elections are considered it turns into a deficit of 3.5%

The Libdems like the Tories have had mixed fortunes. They suffered the worst from Thatcher's resurgence in 83 & 87 and also were marginally less supported in 2005. Otherwise their election days tend to be better than their position 18 mths previously. If one considers all nine elections though they are only 0.5% better off. If one considers the 97 onwards position they are 3% better off than previously and if one only considers the last two elections they are 3.5% better off.

So If one applied these variances to the current average polling figure for the last month
    (Con 33, Lab 38 LD 10 UKIP 12 Others 7)

9 elections:
    Con 36.5 Lab 31 LD 11 (UKIP 15 Others 7?) (Con 7 short of majority)
    1997 election onwards:
    Con 36 Lab 31 LD 13 (UKIP 14 Others 6?) (Con 21 short of a majority)
    Last 2 elections:
    Con 29.5 Lab 35,5 LD 13.5 (UKIP 14,5 Others 7?) (Lab majority of 68)

Of course it is just a bit of fun and should not be taken seriously

• Options
    perdix said:

This is the problem the government is creating for itself.

It gives the impression that its priorities are:

1) London
    2) Scotland
    3) Rest of the world

But elections aren't won in these places but in medium sized towns and its these places which feel ignored, indeed looked down upon, by the government.

Further thoughts:

The likes of Heath (at least in 1970), Thatcher and Major (at least in 1992) gave the impression of caring about and trying to help the people of the outer suburbs and medium sized town in middle England. Because they were 'people like us'.

But Cameron and Osborne don't.

Their backgrounds and interests are fundamentally different and they don't give the impression that they care or even that they pretend to care.

On the contrary they give the impression that they relish the shifts of wealth and power that are happening from 'middle England' to 'world cities'.

This is why Cameron does so dredfully on those 'in touch with people like you' questions and why EdM's cost of living campaign has borne fruit.

And why emphasising an improving economy is unlikely to bring the government support - if an improving economy only benefits 'people like them' and not 'people like us' hasn't the government failed you, even 'betrayed' you ?
    Your argument is a false, opportunistic, kipper-like one. In order for the widest improvement in lives for all, the nation needs sustainable growth. If you don't create the wealth as a nation, there will be less to spread around. London has always been dominant, don't knock its success. We should stand behind those who can lead the way in economic growth and find ways to help those who have difficulties. There are no quick fixes except in the imaginations of Redland and kipperland.

Sustainable growth based upon what ?

Government backed rising house prices or increases in household debt-fueled consumption perhaps ?

Let me know when this country stops borrowing £100bn each and every year.

Let me know when this country manages a single month of trade surplus.
This discussion has been closed.