Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The idea that BoJo has some magical means of reaching LAB or p

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,010

Mr. 86, thanks for posting that.

I know teams, especially the midfield, are unhappy. Sponsorship dries up when audiences decline due to pay walls, and sponsor money goes to teams. But revenue from pay TV deals goes to the bigwigs who then distribute the largesse, which is better if you're a big team.

Mr. Anazina, F1 is only beaten in viewer numbers (or was a couple of years ago) by the Olympics and the football World Cup. The idea it's a minority sport is plain wrong.

I think the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix had about 8m viewers at one point.

I am peeved that I can't watch F1 live (I have no moral issue with paying for Sky to get F1; I've just got better things to do with my money).

Having said that, Liberty really have got their YouTube channel sorted. 10-12 short videos from each race including qualy and race highlights, press conferences, some analysis and others, posted 12 or so hours afterwards. They're very good catch-up, and include regular 'history' items.

It's all much better than when Bernie was in charge (at least as far as I remember).

For instance, the Canadian GP highlights were posted 16 hours ago, and have had 1 million views. The Monaco GP highlights have had 3.3 million views. They're worldwide figures, but still much better than the vacuum that was there before.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

If Gove withdraws or gets sidelined because of his cocaine admission, would that not set an interesting precedent for other candidates?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1138084414741725184
    "He could probably snort a line of cocaine at his campaign launch and get away with it." is a great line.

You could probably add "while shagging his mistress"

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The only candidate who has made an issue of Gove's old coke use is Sajid Javid, and he's always had a strong message about middle class drug use. The only other candidate who has 'gone large' on this in the past is Gove himself, which is why he's in trouble now.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Chris said:

If Gove withdraws or gets sidelined because of his cocaine admission, would that not set an interesting precedent for other candidates?

This is very naïve. Boris Johnson being a bad boy is priced into the market. No one would believe him if he denied taking cocaine. He'd get more derision for that. And no one who likes him cares very much. He could probably snort a line of cocaine at his campaign launch and get away with it.

Michael Gove taking cocaine is eye-popping, akin to that moment when Edwina Currie revealed her benighted game of consequences with John Major, something that completely changes your perception of the individual. Michael Gove's USP is as the school swot. To find out that he's on PEDs is a Lance Armstrong moment.
    And in much the same way as he's "Boris" to everyone, there's no question of him being described as a serial adulterer or a drug addict - he's a "bad boy".
    Bad as in naughty? Bad as in evil? Or bad as in incompetent?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Anazina, I agree, but all save one of those are free-to-air, and the one that isn't (Premier League) is the top tier of the national sport.

Globally, F1 has (or had, at least) an audience of 300-330m or so.
  • Options

"He could probably snort a line of cocaine at his campaign launch and get away with it." is a great line.

Mind bleach.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's true, although Liberty's desire for second races in the US and possibly China are less welcome.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The only candidate who has made an issue of Gove's old coke use is Sajid Javid, and he's always had a strong message about middle class drug use. The only other candidate who has 'gone large' on this in the past is Gove himself, which is why he's in trouble now.

I do wonder what he has got on Boris though, or Mr. Johnson as he now refers to him, and whetherwe are about to find out! I do hope so!
  • Options
    When do we get to see Mark Harper's launch ?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

I know teams, especially the midfield, are unhappy. Sponsorship dries up when audiences decline due to pay walls, and sponsor money goes to teams. But revenue from pay TV deals goes to the bigwigs who then distribute the largesse, which is better if you're a big team.

Mr. Anazina, F1 is only beaten in viewer numbers (or was a couple of years ago) by the Olympics and the football World Cup. The idea it's a minority sport is plain wrong.

I am peeved that I can't watch F1 live (I have no moral issue with paying for Sky to get F1; I've just got better things to do with my money).

Having said that, Liberty really have got their YouTube channel sorted. 10-12 short videos from each race including qualy and race highlights, press conferences, some analysis and others, posted 12 or so hours afterwards. They're very good catch-up, and include regular 'history' items.

It's all much better than when Bernie was in charge (at least as far as I remember).

For instance, the Canadian GP highlights were posted 16 hours ago, and have had 1 million views. The Monaco GP highlights have had 3.3 million views. They're worldwide figures, but still much better than the vacuum that was there before.
    I find it remarkable that people who are sports fans don't pay the fee for Sky. It's really not very much given the sheer volume of sport you get. I'm not an agent for Sky but the monthly cost really isn't huge: indeed it's quite good value!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
    The market seems to have forgot Mark Harper is running !
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    _Anazina_ said:

I find it remarkable that people who are sports fans don't pay the fee for Sky. It's really not very much given the sheer volume of sport you get. I'm not an agent for Sky but the monthly cost really isn't huge: indeed it's quite good value!
    It depends if you like sport or if you just like F1. And I suspect there are a lot of F1 fans who don't like or watch any other sports (I really only watch F1 and Tennis and Sky don't do Tennis anymore)...
  • Options

Mind bleach.
    Sorry about that one!

Looking at Boris's rotundness though, I am surprised one of his many lovers has not said of him as one of Nicolas Soames's lovers said " making love to himwas a little like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key left out"
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Mr. Anazina, I agree, but all save one of those are free-to-air, and the one that isn't (Premier League) is the top tier of the national sport.

Globally, F1 has (or had, at least) an audience of 300-330m or so.

Cricket World Cup 1.5bn worldwide.

F1 is not a minority pursuit – it's just far, far less popular globally than cricket and football – the Big Two in spectator numbers worldwide and – which have all have been all but abandoned by the BBC.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Indeed. And Labour voted for Article 50 too, and they still haven’t come up with a plan either.

Only the SNP, LDs, Plaid and Grn have clean hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38833883
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
    I haven't :smile:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
    +1
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

Were all the Bruges group present at Mcvey's launch ?
    She might do surprisingly well on the upside in the first vote.
    I have no idea who is in the Bruges group (Is it ERG concentrate ?)

It was a forerunner to the ERG. It was named after a speech made by Mrs T in which she said "We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at a European level". What the morons that make up the ERG don't realise is that she never advocated leaving the EU. The single market was her legacy. Theyhave trashed it.
    According to her official biographer Charles Moore, whilst she followed advice not to say it in public, she did indeed advocate leaving the EU as early as 1992. She apparently considered the Maastricht Treaty to be the last straw. So the claim that she would think her legacy had been trashed appears wide of the mark.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    “Our base”. Oh dear! Tories in damage limitation mode.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    If he had misplaced the "s" in that post it would have said "the crack at Boris's.." which might have put the proverbial cat among them.
  • Options
    eek said:

_Anazina_ said:

It depends if you like sport or if you just like F1. And I suspect there are a lot of F1 fans who don't like or watch any other sports (I really only watch F1 and Tennis and Sky don't do Tennis anymore)...
    Kind of proves my point that F1 isn't really a sport in the conventional sense as it's more about the technology than the racing element – hence why it appeals chiefly to car nerds (nothing wrong with that) but it's why many F1 fans have no discernible interest in sports that are powered by human athleticism.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I'm only interested in motorsport, and have limited time for TV. If Sky had (say) F1, rallying, BTCC, DTM and others it may be worth it. But I'm not particularly interested in watching other sports, and don't want to end up subsidising football. £18 per month *is* a lot of money. I could afford it, but I can't justify it.

I've watched F1 since the late 1970s (when it was first regularly broadcast on TV), so it's a shame, but I have more free time at weekends now.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I have a memory, probably from a decade ago, of polling showing that Boris could bring a significant number of new voters to the Tories BUT that these were highly concentrated in the South & that as you went North it balanced out and then became net losses in the NE and Scotland.

Ie more votes but not nearly as positive in seats

Does anyone else recall this? Or did I make it up in a fevered dream at some point?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Mr. Anazina, is that per event?

Hmm. Now I'm wondering about this (not disputing your figure just wondering on the basis of the F1 comparison, which I have a vague memory was from an official source so is unlikely to be exaggerated but there are different ways of putting together audience numbers).

Edited extra bit: " The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.[132] It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to 200 territories.[133]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One#Media_coverage
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    _Anazina_ said:

I would agree, but don't forget that to get Sky Sports you need the basic Sky entertainment package so that adds another £20 a month on, and I doubt many will justify that extra amount if they don't watch TV as broadcast any more.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
    Does Mark Harper remember that Mark Harper is running?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It was a forerunner to the ERG. It was named after a speech made by Mrs T in which she said "We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at a European level". What the morons that make up the ERG don't realise is that she never advocated leaving the EU. The single market was her legacy. Theyhave trashed it.
    According to her official biographer Charles Moore, whilst she followed advice not to say it in public, she did indeed advocate leaving the EU as early as 1992. She apparently considered the Maastricht Treaty to be the last straw. So then claim that she would think her legacy had been trashed appears wide of the mark.
    Which side of the debate is Charles Moore on...? The truth is she never said it in public. That is all we know.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. And Labour voted for Article 50 too, and they still haven’t come up with a plan either.

I liked the SNP's original compromise of leaving the EU but remaining in the Single market. It sounded daft at the time but the implied Norway solution would have got us out of the current quagmire we're in now.
  • Options

Mr. Anazina, is that per event?

Hmm. Now I'm wondering about this (not disputing your figure just wondering on the basis of the F1 comparison, which I have a vague memory was from an official source so is unlikely to be exaggerated but there are different ways of putting together audience numbers).

1.5bn for the whole competition – however, you will find that cricket and football generally are the biggest sports by TV viewership globally, by quite a long chalk.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    So should everyone!!!
    Does Mark Harper remember that Mark Harper is running?
    He's got the numbers to stand and is my biggest winner now. I'm not expecting to collect.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Kind of proves my point that F1 isn't really a sport in the conventional sense as it's more about the technology than the racing element – hence why it appeals chiefly to car nerds (nothing wrong with that) but it's why many F1 fans have no discernible interest in sports that are powered by human athleticism.

I became a lot happier about F1 the moment I realised it isn't a sport: it's a business, and the business always has a higher priority than the sport.

Once you understand that, it's much easier to be an F1 fan. ;)

TBF, a BTCC weekend broadcast on ITV4 often has more racing in 6 hours than F1 gives you in half a season.
  • Options
    Mr. Anazina, in case you missed it, I added an edited extra to that post, which I'll reproduce here:

Edited extra bit: " The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.[132] It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to 200 territories.[133]"

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,353
    Leadsom has less than 20 minutes left and is still sub 10/1.

I presume she has the numbers??
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,624
    Charles said:

I have a memory, probably from a decade ago, of polling showing that Boris could bring a significant number of new voters to the Tories BUT that these were highly concentrated in the South & that as you went North it balanced out and then became net losses in the NE and Scotland....

A decade ago, David Cameron was a promising potential PM...
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

I'm only interested in motorsport, and have limited time for TV. If Sky had (say) F1, rallying, BTCC, DTM and others it may be worth it. But I'm not particularly interested in watching other sports, and don't want to end up subsidising football. £18 per month *is* a lot of money. I could afford it, but I can't justify it.

I've watched F1 since the late 1970s (when it was first regularly broadcast on TV), so it's a shame, but I have more free time at weekends now.
    Ah see above – F1 is a niche interest. Not a conventional sport as it's more about the tech than human athletes.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125

Chris said:

This is very naïve. Boris Johnson being a bad boy is priced into the market. No one would believe him if he denied taking cocaine. He'd get more derision for that. And no one who likes him cares very much. He could probably snort a line of cocaine at his campaign launch and get away with it.

Michael Gove taking cocaine is eye-popping, akin to that moment when Edwina Currie revealed her benighted game of consequences with John Major, something that completely changes your perception of the individual. Michael Gove's USP is as the school swot. To find out that he's on PEDs is a Lance Armstrong moment.
    And in much the same way as he's "Boris" to everyone, there's no question of him being described as a serial adulterer or a drug addict - he's a "bad boy".
    Perhaps the only kind of revelation that would really damage him is one that made him appear an "evil man" rather than a "bad boy"?
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

But are cyborgs subject to the criminal law ?
    Is cannabis legal in India? Even Hunt admitted he took cannabis there on a gap year

It was until 1985, when their first ever narcotics legislation was commenced.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I liked the SNP's original compromise of leaving the EU but remaining in the Single market. It sounded daft at the time but the implied Norway solution would have got us out of the current quagmire we're in now.
    This was May’s first, fatal error: she rejected the outstretched hands of other parties. At that point she was genuinely committed to using the No Deal threat. It was only when Ruth pointed out that that would break the Union that she backtracked.
  • Options

Mcvey has the numbers and she is in the mid hundreds.
  • Options

.. but she is a mother...surely that must count for something?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125

Are flying monkeys allowed as supporters?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Yes, their online offering is now excellent. F1 have also, in recent weeks, had restored all the user-uploaded videos that Bernie blocked from YouTube for copyright reasons - going back years. There’s dozens of whole races to watch now, lots of incident analysis with footage and even some quirky videos like Lewis Hamilton’s entire 90-minute British GP from his car camera with team audio. I’d suggest it’s bringing literally millions of young fans to the sport.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

According to her official biographer Charles Moore, whilst she followed advice not to say it in public, she did indeed advocate leaving the EU as early as 1992. She apparently considered the Maastricht Treaty to be the last straw. So then claim that she would think her legacy had been trashed appears wide of the mark.
    Which side of the debate is Charles Moore on...? The truth is she never said it in public. That is all we know.
    Given this was said back in 2013 long before there was any chance of Brexit and that it is backed up by some of the comments in her own autobiography I suspect you are rather desperately trying to shoot the messenger. Besides, what does it matter? She was another politician who is known to have been Eurosceptic and who did not agree with the direction the EU was going. A direct quote from her was that the EU needed the UK more than we needed them. A view shared by many in your party.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Come on Andrea. Time is running out.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Perhaps the only kind of revelation that would really damage him is one that made him appear an "evil man" rather than a "bad boy"?
    Serial adulterer, liar, possible racist, charlatan, incompetent, suchthings are not obstacles to high office any more, here or in the US. I am all for being progressive, but FFS people, can't we find someone better than him?
  • Options
    Charles said:

I have a memory, probably from a decade ago, of polling showing that Boris could bring a significant number of new voters to the Tories BUT that these were highly concentrated in the South & that as you went North it balanced out and then became net losses in the NE and Scotland.

Does anyone else recall this? Or did I make it up in a fevered dream at some point?

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

On that thought, I should probably bugger off for a few months. Looking forward to still being an EU citizen on 1 Nov.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I suspect that whether it was true or not, the massive changes in polling since then probably render it horribly out of date.
  • Options

Mr. Anazina, in case you missed it, I added an edited extra to that post, which I'll reproduce here:

Looks like fake news – it seems that the figure relates to people who tuned into a race at some point in the season (not per race according to this source).

F1 makes the top ten, but not the top five, in terms of popularity globally.

https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Given this was said back in 2013 long before there was any chance of Brexit and that it is backed up by some of the comments in her own autobiography I suspect you are rather desperately trying to shoot the messenger. Besides, what does it matter? She was another politician who is known to have been Eurosceptic and who did not agree with the direction the EU was going. A direct quote from her was that the EU needed the UK more than we needed them. A view shared by many in your party.
    Fair comment, but the context needs to be investigated, and her world view needs to be contrasted with the pigmies that now advocate Brexit. her views on Europe were sceptical, that is for sure, but she, like most Tories of her generation saw it as an opportunity. I can'tremember the direct quotes from her biography, but that was my take on it when I read it.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Serial adulterer, liar, possible racist, charlatan, incompetent, suchthings are not obstacles to high office any more, here or in the US. I am all for being progressive, but FFS people, can't we find someone better than him?
    Sadly most of those have been true for decades if not centuries.
    There are plenty of honourable exceptions but also plenty of bad examples.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Charles said:

I suspect that whether it was true or not, the massive changes in polling since then probably render it horribly out of date.
    He's surely more voter-repellent in London and the SE now, than then. Whether the appeal of the unscrupulous windbag has risen up north to compensate, I cannot say.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,624
    _Anazina_ said:

Looks like fake news – it seems that the figure relates to people who tuned into a race at some point in the season (not per race according to this source).

F1 makes the top ten, but not the top five, in terms of popularity globally.

https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
    And could get bumped down a spot.
    This is the sort of thing our license fee should be paying for.....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48580157
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

True.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,976

At this rate they will be pleading with TM to stay in Office

Running through wheat fields is so so innocent

I'd always assumed 'running through fields of wheat' was a euphemism for shooting-up.
    Yes, what about the before , during and after parts
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't that the fault of the Scots having a half hearted devolution system rather than proper independence. Another good reason to let them go their own way so they can make their own decisions about tax and let England do likewise.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

_Anazina_ said:

Unfortunately the soul of the Tory Party has been corrupted, just like the Labour Party. The extremists and nutjobs are in the ascendancy. Nothing good will come of it.
    You've covered Esther McVey – but what about that fat bloke with the microphone?
    Well done Esther McVey (not a phrase I thought I would see myself write). No matter the circumstances it must be unnerving to have a fat twat clamber on stage shouting the odds.
    Somebody should have removed him by the breeks arse
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

True.
    I've even spent £2 on Mark Harper just now at 810.9. He's completely anonymous but also has the numbers.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2019
    You'd have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy watching Boris and Govey stabbing each other in the back. Though Gove is the most wounded I've got a feeling he and his formidable wife with deliver the coup de grace. You don't work for the Mail for twenty years without being the very best in character assassination
  • Options
    Pencils down !
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, Boris hasn't thought this through. Punishing Scots with taxation that's punitive compared to England is the SNP's job.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pencils down !

I SAID STOP WRITING!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Is Loathsome in or out ? The suspense is killing me.
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom
    Just handed in my nomination papers - thanks so much to all those supporting! Looking forward to the campaign launch 9.45am tomorrow
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited June 2019

Her price is holding firm

EDIT Shortening a bit
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,753

Scott_P said:
    Isn't that the fault of the Scots having a half hearted devolution system rather than proper independence. Another good reason to let them go their own way so they can make their own decisions about tax and let England do likewise.
    How can a Boris thought be the fault of the Scots? If Boris wants to be PM of England let him make the case for that, if he wants to be PM of the UK he needs to think about all parts of the country he wants to lead.

It is just another example of what we would get, he will say what he thinks his audience would like to hear, without a care for detail, practicality or even consistency from day to day.
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom
    Just handed in my nomination papers - thanks so much to all those supporting! Looking forward to the campaign launch 9.45am tomorrow

Oh, piss off Andrea.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:
    Why does a political party, a non-governmental, private organization, get to use the House of Commons’ badge on its documents?
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    when she hands in 63 names you will have to eat your words
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Damn, so she is actually a runner!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

True.
    I've even spent £2 on Mark Harper just now at 810.9. He's completely anonymous but also has the numbers.
    Great shout, if he’s in that price will shorten significantly.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Barnesian said:

Her price is holding firm

EDIT Shortening a bit
    Well, she may have a surprise in store for us. Do we have any names ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

True.
    Harper, McVey and Hancock are my best bets. Nearly £2k up on each.

I only go to the poor house if Loathsome wins.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    How can a Boris thought be the fault of the Scots? If Boris wants to be PM of England let him make the case for that, if he wants to be PM of the UK he needs to think about all parts of the country he wants to lead.

It is just another example of what we would get, he will say what he thinks his audience would like to hear, without a care for detail, practicality or even consistency from day to day.
    He will act as PM of England for certain, the man is a balloon.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    Somewhat lacking in chivalry. Though I too would have been content to see her price fly out to 1000.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Pulpstar said:
    Why are supporters names not published?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,229

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    I said she was the dark horse in this contest. Slipping in at the last minute.

If a couple of the cokeheads fall at one of the hurdles, then anything can happen.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am no advocate for Boris but it is clear that any Prime Minister should be considering what would be best for the majority of people they are legislating for and should not be held hostage by a small minority in one region.

At the same time it is also clear that Scotland should be able to decide its own tax and spend policies for its own people which is why they should have independence.
  • Options
    When do the '22 confirm the candidates?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

It is not just 2008 and 2012 that Boris led successful campaigns.

He also successfully led 2016 too.

You mean when he was effectively working for Mr. Putin.
    And effectively working against Cameron, Labour [officially], the IMF, most trade unions, most business lobbies, Obama and more.

Yet Boris won, defeating Cameron, Obama etc - that surely is more evidence that he can win than in one constituency a swing of 6.5 vs a swing of 6.2
    We get it. There is a strong market for unicorns and it is entirely likely that unicorn demand has not diminished over the past n years. They are still unicorns, however. And no more attainable now than they have been in the past.

But if we're choosing I will go for a sugar pink and lime green one please.
    I never had you down as a Garrick member!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:
    Why does a political party, a non-governmental, private organization, get to use the House of Commons’ badge on it documents?
    And why does it look so amateurish? It is less stylish and much less detailed than the form needed to use the food bank.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Why are supporters names not published?
    Shame about Fox being the nominee
  • Options
    Andrea in to 9.6
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So, any news of Sir Graham Brady? Asking for a laying friend.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

True.
    Great shout, if he’s in that price will shorten significantly.
    Currently unlayable on BF.
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    Somewhat lacking in chivalry. Though I too would have been content to see her price fly out to 1000.
    I was hoping she'd fall flat on her face.
  • Options
    Is 5:30 the deadline?
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    I said she was the dark horse in this contest. Slipping in at the last minute.

If a couple of the cokeheads fall at one of the hurdles, then anything can happen.
    If the contest becomes about drug use how does Mary Jane Leadsom benefit ?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

When do the '22 confirm the candidates?

Per BBC - 6pm or just before.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andrea in to 9.6

She's been at 9.6/9.8 all day.
  • Options

Is 5:30 the deadline?

no
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom MP

@andrealeadsom

Oh, piss off Andrea.
    when she hands in 63 names you will have to eat your words
    "When" ?

That would require a degree of conspiratorial competence, superb organisational skills, discretion and guile that have hitherto escaped 95% of Tory MPs.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Rifkind supporting Hunt on BBC now.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I love the rather naïve way Rory Stewart says "is it possible Boris hasn't thought this through". Perhaps he was being ironic. A more accurate statement is "It is impossible that Boris has thought this (or anything else) through"
This discussion has been closed.