Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At least TMay and Jezza have one record they can claim

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'

Wonder if her husband did!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,511
    Anyhoo I've got tickets for England v Pakistan at Trent Bridge on Monday.

Last time I saw England v Pakistan at Trent Bridge England broke the world record for the highest ODI score.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    AndyJS said:

A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).

twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0

Wikipedia numbers:

Hunt 30

Johnson 29

Gove 27

Raab 22

Javid 16

Hancock 12

Malthouse 6

McVey 6

Leadsom 4

Stewart 3

Cleverly 2

I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris

Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?

On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'
    >
    > Wonder if her husband did!

Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'

Wonder if her husband did!

He’s on record as saying he voted Labour. Whether he did or not is another matter. He’s far too canny to give Corbyn a “Blair expelled from Labour” headline.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507

> @TheScreamingEagles said:

> All you nervous nellies thinking England had blown this.

>

> IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S ONLY BLOODY WELL COMING HOME.

With Stokes playing like that and the fielding superb you could just be right

Comments like these could spoil our summer. Stop. England will lose, remember?
  • Options
    > @Charles said:
    > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    >
    >
    >
    > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592
    >
    >
    >
    > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    >
    >
    >
    > Wikipedia numbers:
    >
    >
    >
    > Hunt 30
    >
    > Johnson 29
    >
    > Gove 27
    >
    > Raab 22
    >
    > Javid 16
    >
    > Hancock 12
    >
    > Malthouse 6
    >
    > McVey 6
    >
    > Leadsom 4
    >
    > Stewart 3
    >
    > Cleverly 2
    >
    > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    >
    > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?
    >
    > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals

Hope so
  • Options

Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?

No, but I do a lot of work with multivalent vaccines
  • Options

> All you nervous nellies thinking England had blown this.

>

> IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S ONLY BLOODY WELL COMING HOME.

With Stokes playing like that and the fielding superb you could just be right

Comments like these could spoil our summer. Stop. England will lose, remember?
    I know, I really enjoyed England's best world cup performance since 1992.
  • Options
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'
    > >
    > > Wonder if her husband did!
    >
    > Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away

We can but hope. Although I'm nervous as to whether another Referendum would produce the desired (by me at any rate) result.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

> @TheWhiteRabbit said:

> > @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > > @Charles said:

> > > > @Charles said:

> > >

> > > My concerns about MMR are different to the anti-vaxxers

> >

> > Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?

>

> Charles works for a pharmaceutical company I believe.

I asked him earlier about the actual data.

Still awaiting a reply.

I was in a meeting talking about developing vaccines for ASF. Sorry you weren’t my #1 priority
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    edited May 2019
    > @Charles said:
    > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    >
    >
    >
    > Wikipedia numbers:
    >
    >
    >
    > Hunt 30
    >
    > Johnson 29
    >
    > Gove 27
    >
    > Raab 22
    >
    > Javid 16
    >
    > Hancock 12
    >
    > Malthouse 6
    >
    > McVey 6
    >
    > Leadsom 4
    >
    > Stewart 3
    >
    > Cleverly 2
    >
    > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    >
    >

If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.

Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,838
    edited May 2019
    > @Cyclefree said:
    McVey is supporting the rights of parents to be bigots. I utterly oppose that. That is the difference between us.
    ----------------------------------------------
    We cannot stop people being bigots. But we don't have to pander to them and pretend that not doing so is an unacceptable intrusion by the state, given all the other areas where we tell people they cannot do various things, including things with their children. This idea that in this arena it is a step too far to overrule parents' bigotry (or convictions, if someone wants to pretend bigotry is not a part of it), is quite unconvincing.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

> @OldKingCole said:

> Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'

>

> Wonder if her husband did!

Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away

Which would be *the* most remarkable and wonderful thing.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    > @Charles said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Wikipedia numbers:
    >
    >
    >
    > Hunt 30
    >
    > Johnson 29
    >
    > Gove 27
    >
    > Raab 22
    >
    > Javid 16
    >
    > Hancock 12
    >
    > Malthouse 6
    >
    > McVey 6
    >
    > Leadsom 4
    >
    > Stewart 3
    >
    > Cleverly 2
    >
    >
    >

'Finals'. Another bloody Americanism. There is one final. Singular.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Charles said:
    > > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Wikipedia numbers:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hunt 30
    > >
    > > Johnson 29
    > >
    > > Gove 27
    > >
    > > Raab 22
    > >
    > > Javid 16
    > >
    > > Hancock 12
    > >
    > > Malthouse 6
    > >
    > > McVey 6
    > >
    > > Leadsom 4
    > >
    > > Stewart 3
    > >
    > > Cleverly 2
    > >
    > > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    > >
    > > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?
    > >
    > > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals
    >
    > If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.
    >
    > Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove

I posed the question this morning as to what happens when the televised debates indicate, both during the debates, and post opinion polls that Boris, Raab and McVey are very unpopular in the country at large and one of the candidates captures the populations imagination, do the members vote for the losers or for a winner for the party and country
  • Options
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > > Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'
    > > >
    > > > Wonder if her husband did!
    > >
    > > Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away
    >
    > We can but hope. Although I'm nervous as to whether another Referendum would produce the desired (by me at any rate) result.

-------------------------------
    I think it would. The further we get from the original vote and the more some Brexiteers refuse to take various options to actually exist the easier and easier it becomes to move on from it, for a few more people to change their minds. Not all that many have, but when faced with certain polarised options the chances are higher.

I think Brexit was holed beneath the waterline once it became clear months ago that no Brexit option would get through parliament without a means to cancel it at the same time. Out politicians are just slowly catching up to that reality.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @Charles said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Wikipedia numbers:

>

>

>

> Hunt 30

>

> Johnson 29

>

> Gove 27

>

> Raab 22

>

> Javid 16

>

> Hancock 12

>

> Malthouse 6

>

> McVey 6

>

> Leadsom 4

>

> Stewart 3

>

> Cleverly 2

>

>

>

If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.

Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove

Do you have data to support that “Given”? That was my question and you have just asserted the answer.
  • Options

> @Charles said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Wikipedia numbers:

>

>

>

> Hunt 30

>

> Johnson 29

>

> Gove 27

>

> Raab 22

>

> Javid 16

>

> Hancock 12

>

> Malthouse 6

>

> McVey 6

>

> Leadsom 4

>

> Stewart 3

>

> Cleverly 2

>

>

>

With love from Parsippany, NJ 😂
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090

And another one

• Options
    > @Charles said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    >
    > > > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    >
    > > > > @Charles said:
    >
    > > > > > @Charles said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > > >
    >
    > > > > My concerns about MMR are different to the anti-vaxxers
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Charles works for a pharmaceutical company I believe.
    >
    >
    >
    > I asked him earlier about the actual data.
    >
    > Still awaiting a reply.
    >
    > I was in a meeting talking about developing vaccines for ASF. Sorry you weren’t my #1 priority

African Swine Fever? Will we still be subject to the Directive if we Leave. Or is that something else that the EU is insisting on against out interests. (Or some such rot!)
  • Options

> @Charles said:

> > @TheWhiteRabbit said:

>

> > > @Nigel_Foremain said:

>

> > > > @Charles said:

>

> > > > > @Charles said:

>

>

>

> > > >

>

> > > > My concerns about MMR are different to the anti-vaxxers

>

> > >

>

> > > Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?

>

> >

>

> > Charles works for a pharmaceutical company I believe.

>

>

>

> I asked him earlier about the actual data.

>

> Still awaiting a reply.

>

> I was in a meeting talking about developing vaccines for ASF. Sorry you weren’t my #1 priority

African Swine Fever? Will we still be subject to the Directive if we Leave. Or is that something else that the EU is insisting on against out interests. (Or some such rot!)

Yes. Around 50-70% of China’s pigs have died. That’s the equivalent to the US+EU herd.

And there’s no cure.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Charles said:
    > > > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Wikipedia numbers:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Hunt 30
    > > >
    > > > Johnson 29
    > > >
    > > > Gove 27
    > > >
    > > > Raab 22
    > > >
    > > > Javid 16
    > > >
    > > > Hancock 12
    > > >
    > > > Malthouse 6
    > > >
    > > > McVey 6
    > > >
    > > > Leadsom 4
    > > >
    > > > Stewart 3
    > > >
    > > > Cleverly 2
    > > >
    > > > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    > > >
    > > > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?
    > > >
    > > > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals
    > >
    > > If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.
    > >
    > > Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove
    >
    > I posed the question this morning as to what happens when the televised debates indicate, both during the debates, and post opinion polls that Boris, Raab and McVey are very unpopular in the country at large and one of the candidates captures the populations imagination, do the members vote for the losers or for a winner for the party and country

If, contrary to your expectation, those candidates poll very well with the general public and the candidates you like do not, would you vote for the losers or for a winner?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,713
    That second chart tells us that Tory party members want a hard Brexit. It's not inconceivable that 100,000 or so people select a PM who will strive to bring economic chaos and, very likely, the end of the Union.

Right now the only two bulwarks are:
    a) Tory MPs, who can select a final two candidates who both refuse to contenance No Deal, and
    b) Remainer Tory MPs, who in the face of No Deal could support an opposition VoNC (although here there are some doubts that a VoNC could be done in time to stop a determined No Deal Tory PM).

Thanks goodness the Tories are the natural party of government and can therefore be relied upon to lead the country safely through these dark times.

Strong and stable!
  • Options
    > @Charles said:
    > > @Charles said:
    >
    > > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > > @Charles said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > > > @Charles said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > > My concerns about MMR are different to the anti-vaxxers
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Charles works for a pharmaceutical company I believe.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I asked him earlier about the actual data.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Still awaiting a reply.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I was in a meeting talking about developing vaccines for ASF. Sorry you weren’t my #1 priority
    >
    >
    >
    > African Swine Fever? Will we still be subject to the Directive if we Leave. Or is that something else that the EU is insisting on against out interests. (Or some such rot!)
    >
    > Yes. Around 50-70% of China’s pigs have died. That’s the equivalent to the US+EU herd.
    >
    > And there’s no cure.

Didn't realise that it was that bad. It hasn't spread South and East yet, though.
  • Options
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Charles said:
    > > > > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Wikipedia numbers:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Hunt 30
    > > > >
    > > > > Johnson 29
    > > > >
    > > > > Gove 27
    > > > >
    > > > > Raab 22
    > > > >
    > > > > Javid 16
    > > > >
    > > > > Hancock 12
    > > > >
    > > > > Malthouse 6
    > > > >
    > > > > McVey 6
    > > > >
    > > > > Leadsom 4
    > > > >
    > > > > Stewart 3
    > > > >
    > > > > Cleverly 2
    > > > >
    > > > > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    > > > >
    > > > > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?
    > > > >
    > > > > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals
    > > >
    > > > If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.
    > > >
    > > > Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove
    > >
    > > I posed the question this morning as to what happens when the televised debates indicate, both during the debates, and post opinion polls that Boris, Raab and McVey are very unpopular in the country at large and one of the candidates captures the populations imagination, do the members vote for the losers or for a winner for the party and country
    >
    > If, contrary to your expectation, those candidates poll very well with the general public and the candidates you like do not, would you vote for the losers or for a winner?

Could you provide a link to how they poll well with the public (ex Conhome) and which candidates have I said I do not like ?

Furthermore, television exposure could result in a car crash for some, indeed I expect for most of the candidates. I have no idea who will come through but I await with interest the outcome and my vote will be decided then, though I will not vote for Boris
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > McVey is supporting the rights of parents to be bigots. I utterly oppose that. That is the difference between us.
    > ----------------------------------------------
    > We cannot stop people being bigots. But we don't have to pander to them and pretend that not doing so is an unacceptable intrusion by the state, given all the other areas where we tell people they cannot do various things, including things with their children. This idea that in this arena it is a step too far to overrule parents' bigotry (or convictions, if someone wants to pretend bigotry is not a part of it), is quite unconvincing.

I am a Governor at a primary school where this has now become a hot topic as we have a similar demographic to some of the Birmingham schools. The view of many parents can be summed up by one's comment that "I brought my child to this country to get a good education, not so he can be taught it is fine to be gay".
    Logical argument won't get you far when you are dealing with that mentality.

What I am annoyed at though is that the Government should have realised that this had the potential to cause trouble and it should have been ready to offer support and assistance where needed. Instead, schools and headteachers have been left out to dry and to cope with the backlash.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,713

> @HYUFD said:

> > @Charles said:

> > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).

> > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592

> > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0

> >

> >

> >

> > Wikipedia numbers:

> >

> >

> >

> > Hunt 30

> >

> > Johnson 29

> >

> > Gove 27

> >

> > Raab 22

> >

> > Javid 16

> >

> > Hancock 12

> >

> > Malthouse 6

> >

> > McVey 6

> >

> > Leadsom 4

> >

> > Stewart 3

> >

> > Cleverly 2

> >

> > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris

> >

> > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?

> >

> > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals

>

> If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.

>

> Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove

I posed the question this morning as to what happens when the televised debates indicate, both during the debates, and post opinion polls that Boris, Raab and McVey are very unpopular in the country at large and one of the candidates captures the populations imagination, do the members vote for the losers or for a winner for the party and country

History would suggest that both main parties usually choose a loser who ticks the right party boxes, over a likely GE winner...

Foot
    Kinnock
    Brown
    Hague
    IDS
    Howard
    Corbyn

... all spring to mind (accepting that some were annointed rather chosen by a party college or party members).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > And another one
    >
    > https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1134142068685778944

Jesse paint your pictures ‘bout how it’s gonna be. By now I should know better, your dreams are never free.
  • Options
    > @TheKitchenCabinet said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > McVey is supporting the rights of parents to be bigots. I utterly oppose that. That is the difference between us.
    > > ----------------------------------------------
    > > We cannot stop people being bigots. But we don't have to pander to them and pretend that not doing so is an unacceptable intrusion by the state, given all the other areas where we tell people they cannot do various things, including things with their children. This idea that in this arena it is a step too far to overrule parents' bigotry (or convictions, if someone wants to pretend bigotry is not a part of it), is quite unconvincing.
    >
    > I am a Governor at a primary school where this has now become a hot topic as we have a similar demographic to some of the Birmingham schools. The view of many parents can be summed up by one's comment that "I brought my child to this country to get a good education, not so he can be taught it is fine to be gay".
    > Logical argument won't get you far when you are dealing with that mentality.
    >
    > What I am annoyed at though is that the Government should have realised that this had the potential to cause trouble and it should have been ready to offer support and assistance where needed. Instead, schools and headteachers have been left out to dry and to cope with the backlash.
    >

It is not only HMG who are quiet , Corbyn and labour, apart from Jess, have been missing completely
  • Options

> @Charles said:

> > @Charles said:

>

> > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:

>

> >

>

> > > > @Nigel_Foremain said:

>

> >

>

> > > > > @Charles said:

>

> >

>

> > > > > > @Charles said:

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > > My concerns about MMR are different to the anti-vaxxers

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > Concerns about MMR? Are you a scientist?

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Charles works for a pharmaceutical company I believe.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I asked him earlier about the actual data.

>

> >

>

> > Still awaiting a reply.

>

> >

>

> > I was in a meeting talking about developing vaccines for ASF. Sorry you weren’t my #1 priority

>

>

>

> African Swine Fever? Will we still be subject to the Directive if we Leave. Or is that something else that the EU is insisting on against out interests. (Or some such rot!)

>

> Yes. Around 50-70% of China’s pigs have died. That’s the equivalent to the US+EU herd.

>

> And there’s no cure.

Didn't realise that it was that bad. It hasn't spread South and East yet, though.

In Bulgaria and Ukraine. It’s coming.
  • Options
    Did a YouGov which asked about the Euro elections - it had an option to select 'because of the leader of the party' or some such as a potential reason to have voted for the party in question. Cannot see many people ticking that.

And then a section on Farage and if he is racist or not, and if various parties will fade away in the next 10 years.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Another Etonian too. There’s more diversity in the Derby runners.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    > @Benpointer said:
    > https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1134129653424250880
    >
    > https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1134129655420739585
    >
    > :lol: 41% are Sparticus!
    >
    > That second chart tells us that Tory party members want a hard Brexit. It's not inconceivable that 100,000 or so people select a PM who will strive to bring economic chaos and, very likely, the end of the Union.
    >
    > Right now the only two bulwarks are:
    > a) Tory MPs, who can select a final two candidates who both refuse to contenance No Deal, and
    > b) Remainer Tory MPs, who in the face of No Deal could support an opposition VoNC (although here there are some doubts that a VoNC could be done in time to stop a determined No Deal Tory PM).
    >
    > Thanks goodness the Tories are the natural party of government and can therefore be relied upon to lead the country safely through these dark times.
    >
    > Strong and stable!

Our constitution seems to be broken and in need of PR and/or more checks and balances.

Nearly all developed countries have both of them. A few countries like New Zealand only have one (PR). We have none!!!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Charles said:
    > > > > > A majority of Tory MPs have now endorsed one of the candidates, with Robin Walker's tweet in support of Sajid Javid. (Total endorsements are now 157 out of 313).
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > twitter.com/WalkerWorcester/status/1134078259543662592
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Wikipedia numbers:
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Hunt 30
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Johnson 29
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Gove 27
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Raab 22
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Javid 16
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Hancock 12
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Malthouse 6
    > > > > >
    > > > > > McVey 6
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Leadsom 4
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Stewart 3
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Cleverly 2
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I understand that Raab was the #2 choice for StandUpForBrexit folks who didn’t like Boris
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Q. Do they hold their noises and give second preference to Boris or not?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > On those numbers I could see Hunt vs Gove in the finals
    > > > >
    > > > > If it is Hunt v Gove expect the surge of Tory voters and members to the Brexit Party to continue.
    > > > >
    > > > > Given most of Raab's supporters will go to Boris though and visa versa I think one of those 2 will make the last 2 once the other is knocked out. In fact Hunt could find himself in the position of Portillo in 2001, topping the ballot initially but knocked out once it gets to the last 3 especially if most of Javid's supporters and some of Boris or Raab's transfer to Gove
    > > >
    > > > I posed the question this morning as to what happens when the televised debates indicate, both during the debates, and post opinion polls that Boris, Raab and McVey are very unpopular in the country at large and one of the candidates captures the populations imagination, do the members vote for the losers or for a winner for the party and country
    > >
    > > If, contrary to your expectation, those candidates poll very well with the general public and the candidates you like do not, would you vote for the losers or for a winner?
    >
    > Could you provide a link to how they poll well with the public (ex Conhome) and which candidates have I said I do not like ?
    >
    > Furthermore, television exposure could result in a car crash for some, indeed I expect for most of the candidates. I have no idea who will come through but I await with interest the outcome and my vote will be decided then, though I will not vote for Boris

It was a hypothetical. Hence the "if" at the beginning
  • Options

We public schoolboys are this country's most persecuted minority.
  • Options

We public schoolboys are this country's most persecuted minority.
    So we hear. From public schoolboys.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > > Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'
    > > >
    > > > Wonder if her husband did!
    > >
    > > Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away
    >
    > We can but hope. Although I'm nervous as to whether another Referendum would produce the desired (by me at any rate) result.

George Asbo on R4 advanced his “contrarian” theory that the Brexiters will come to advocate a referendum, as the only way they can get their project done, and remainers will come to resist it fearing a Leave result leading to hard Brexit.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Benpointer

- “That second chart tells us that Tory party members want a hard Brexit. It's not inconceivable that 100,000 or so people select a PM who will strive to bring economic chaos and, very likely, the end of the Union.”

Rarely shocked by market research or social research, but that chart of how Tory members voted is quite simply stunning. The next PM is about to be elected by imposters.

And folk wonder why Scots have gone off the Union.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Charles said:

> @Charles said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Wikipedia numbers:

>

>

>

> Hunt 30

>

> Johnson 29

>

> Gove 27

>

> Raab 22

>

> Javid 16

>

> Hancock 12

>

> Malthouse 6

>

> McVey 6

>

> Leadsom 4

>

> Stewart 3

>

> Cleverly 2

>

>

>

With love from Parsippany, NJ 😂
    Near morris town?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > > > Just posted on my FB page: an alleged poster for the Evening Standard saying that 'Cherie Blair voted LibDem, too!'
    > > > >
    > > > > Wonder if her husband did!
    > > >
    > > > Bit by bit the trend is moving to a referendum and brexit is slipping away
    > >
    > > We can but hope. Although I'm nervous as to whether another Referendum would produce the desired (by me at any rate) result.
    >
    > George Asbo on R4 advanced his “contrarian” theory that the Brexiters will come to advocate a referendum, as the only way they can get their project done, and remainers will come to resist it fearing a Leave result leading to hard Brexit.

It is one of the more likely switches to move us on from gridlock. Listening to Labour MPs trying to explain the intricacies of which particular referenda they support will be interesting.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,872

brendan16 said:

Dominic Raab a pound shop Owen Smith?

Polling suggests the majority - in some cases 80 per cent plus of British women do not consider themselves ‘feminists’ while supporting gender equality - so share Raabs views. I expect the figure is even higher amongst Tory party members.

It may horrify the Twitter bubble but might not be that unpopular with most women.
    I don’t consider myself a feminist. I associate the word with angry women who scream about toxic masculinity and privilege.

I do support, however, equal opportunities for women and equal respect. I don’t go in for pulling people up, at work, when they use the suffix -man on any word whatsoever as I don’t see that as the battle that needs to be fought. Indeed, I consider it petty and counterproductive.

Instead, I judge other men by their behaviour, and the integrity and respect they show toward women. Which is generally based on how much time they get to listen and know them and their aspirations, strengths and weaknesses rather than just recruiting in their own image.

I’d say I’m a fairist.
    I have been informed that the phrase you are looking for is "egalitarian"
  • Options
    I thought Jesse Norman was a girl! Honestly, this race is getting weirder and weirder. Is anybody not standing, apart from Mickey Fab and the lovely Penny?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    kle4 said:

> @Cyclefree said:

McVey is supporting the rights of parents to be bigots. I utterly oppose that. That is the difference between us.

----------------------------------------------

We cannot stop people being bigots. But we don't have to pander to them and pretend that not doing so is an unacceptable intrusion by the state, given all the other areas where we tell people they cannot do various things, including things with their children. This idea that in this arena it is a step too far to overrule parents' bigotry (or convictions, if someone wants to pretend bigotry is not a part of it), is quite unconvincing.

You don’t need to persuade me on this point.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    > @viewcode said:
    > Dominic Raab a pound shop Owen Smith?
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1134005861427400704
    >
    >
    >
    > Polling suggests the majority - in some cases 80 per cent plus of British women do not consider themselves ‘feminists’ while supporting gender equality - so share Raabs views. I expect the figure is even higher amongst Tory party members.
    >
    > It may horrify the Twitter bubble but might not be that unpopular with most women.
    >
    > I don’t consider myself a feminist. I associate the word with angry women who scream about toxic masculinity and privilege.
    >
    > I do support, however, equal opportunities for women and equal respect. I don’t go in for pulling people up, at work, when they use the suffix -man on any word whatsoever as I don’t see that as the battle that needs to be fought. Indeed, I consider it petty and counterproductive.
    >
    > Instead, I judge other men by their behaviour, and the integrity and respect they show toward women. Which is generally based on how much time they get to listen and know them and their aspirations, strengths and weaknesses rather than just recruiting in their own image.
    >
    > I’d say I’m a fairist.
    >
    > I have been informed that the phrase you are looking for is "egalitarian"

I'm certainly not one of those.

Sounds awfully socialist.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I'm certainly not one of those.

Sounds awfully socialist.

It's a noun rather than a political party. It means "somebody who believes in equality".
This discussion has been closed.