Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be hope for CHUK yet because of being top of the b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be hope for CHUK yet because of being top of the ballot

Above is a photograph of my ballot paper in Eastern region for Thursday’s election and looking at it there are some issues that might help or hinder the various parties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    First unlike Chuk.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Also FPT

For those betting on the EU elections - 1 comment from the weekend.

Up North postal vote returns are already way, way higher than for the local elections.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2019
    <i class="Italic">What was striking that in just about all cases the CON/LAB/LD/GRN candidate whose name appeared first secured more votes than the ones that appeared second.</i>

This is usually because some people only vote once, when they could have voted two or three times, or because they actively wanted to split their vote between parties (most often with a vote to an independent).

Neither of these applies here, but there may be a very small effect given that certain parties are fishing in the same vote pool. It has to help Change a little bit: perhaps it will get them to 3%? And, yes, The Brexit Party screwed up...

Clearly we should randomise ballot order but given my surname I'll let someone else bring that forward.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    ChUK have become the Chesney Hawkes of British politics: becoming figures of ridicule almost overnight despite initially bursting on the scene to some acclaim.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    eek said:

Also FPT

Up North postal vote returns are already way, way higher than for the local elections.

Northern remainer surge.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    > @eek said:
    > Also FPT
    >
    > For those betting on the EU elections - 1 comment from the weekend.
    >
    > Up North postal vote returns are already way, way higher than for the local elections.
    >

That's heartening. People engaging with elections is a good thing, and it's sad well under 50% of people who could vote will do so this time.

On topic: I wonder if the 3/1 Ladbrokes are offering on Chuk to get 5-10% is value given that they aren't polling much below - but I fear their polling continues to decline and even 3/1 might be fair.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    'If there is hope,' wrote Chuka, 'it lies in the alphabetical bonus of being top of the ballot.'

@Quincel that cant be a bad bet IMO
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    This effect is worth about 0.3% I think or so. Well it was when I was top of the ballot anyway.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Mike, is there any evidence this happens in ballots where you cast a single vote, for a party? There's a big difference between that and locals, where most people really have no way to distinguish between candidates for the same party.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > Also FPT
    >
    >
    > Up North postal vote returns are already way, way higher than for the local elections.
    >
    > Northern remainer surge.

I believe oldies are more likely to have postal votes.

And that working class turnout is usually lower.

So an increased number of postal votes might suggest increased voting by working class oldies.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,092
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > Also FPT
    >
    >
    >
    > Northern remainer surge.

Don't older voters go postal, & tend to be Leave? Isn't it as likely a Remainer & Leaver surge?

On topic, would anyone here put a single penny on backing CHUK because they're top of the ballot paper?
  • Options

What was striking that in just about all cases the CON/LAB/LD/GRN candidate whose name appeared first secured more votes than the ones that appeared second.

This is usually because some people only vote once, when they could have voted two or three times, or because they actively wanted to split their vote between parties (most often with a vote to an independent).

Neither of these applies here, but there may be a very small effect given that certain parties are fishing in the same vote pool. It has to help Change a little bit: perhaps it will get them to 3%? And, yes, The Brexit Party screwed up...

Clearly we should randomise ballot order but given my surname I'll let someone else bring that forward.

22.2 -> 22.9% (Labour)
    18.3 -> 20.4% Tories
    3.8 -> 4.1% Lib Dems

But

4.9 -> 3.5% UKIP !
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > <i class="Italic">What was striking that in just about all cases the CON/LAB/LD/GRN candidate whose name appeared first secured more votes than the ones that appeared second.</i>
    >
    > This is usually because some people only vote once, when they could have voted two or three times, or because they actively wanted to split their vote between parties (most often with a vote to an independent).
    >
    > Neither of these applies here, but there may be a very small effect given that certain parties are fishing in the same vote pool. It has to help Change a little bit: perhaps it will get them to 3%? And, yes, The Brexit Party screwed up...
    >
    > Clearly we should randomise ballot order but given my surname I'll let someone else bring that forward.

When I lived in Taiwan, the Parties drew lots for their number on the ballot paper. It was a big event, live in prime time. Followed by analysis of the potential effects.
    The drawing of an auspicious or non-auspicious number was considered an important factor (everyone tried to avoid 4, as it sounds like death in Mandarin).
    Needless to say, losing candidates would cite this as a top excuse later on...
  • Options
    So in the battle of Leave vs Remain at the Euros, we add a bit on to the Leave total and take a bit off Remain to control for this effect?
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.

What we should do, and can easily do, is provide differently randomised ballot papers for each voter, not just provide one fixed random order per constituency.
  • Options
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > Also FPT
    > >
    > > For those betting on the EU elections - 1 comment from the weekend.
    > >
    > > Up North postal vote returns are already way, way higher than for the local elections.
    > >
    > > Northern remainer surge.
    >
    >
    > Don't older voters go postal, & tend to be Leave? Isn't it as likely a Remainer & Leaver surge?
    >
    > On topic, would anyone here put a single penny on backing CHUK because they're top of the ballot paper?
    >
    >

I can't read it. It could be leave voters, it could be remainers, equally it could be a lot of leaver voters who have spoilt their ballot papers.

And I suspect the latter may be the case fairly often, It wouldn't surprise me if Nigel lost a lot of votes to spoilt papers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,300

ChUK have become the Chesney Hawkes of British politics: becoming figures of ridicule almost overnight despite initially bursting on the scene to some acclaim.

I think relief, not acclaim. I'm sure this first iteration was more a visceral response to the current state of the Big Two. There will be refinements over time and who knows they may yet prove to be enduring.

Their most egregious error IMO is that their launch and current strategy falls between the stools of the flashy, populist demands of a 24-hr rolling news environment (something Nige wins easily) and the approach required for a long term sustainable new force in politics.

It's not that they haven't mastered politics, it's that they haven't mastered channel delivery.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Owen Jones heaps opprobrium on ChUK in possibly the best polemic he's written.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/17/change-uk-joan-ryan-look-at-your-hands

I think ChUK passed their noon when that memo about destroying the Lib Dems was leaked. Who did it? Either it was a minion who wished to embarrass ChUK, which seems unlikely, or it came from the leadership themselves, who deliberately set out to make their dastardly plans public. If the latter then that was surely an act of self-destructive hubris.
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.
    >
    > What we should do, and can easily do, is provide differently randomised ballot papers for each voter, not just provide one fixed random order per constituency.

It would make counting far harder though....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Just had a thought that CUK not having a logo might help them.

It makes them look like a bunch of local independents rather than a political party.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    An Independence from Europe got 1.4% of vote from the top of the ballot in 2014.

I thought TBP wanted to be close to Ukip as they thought it might get them a few votes from people who went in to the polling booth looking for Ukip.
  • Options
    Are they top in every region?
    The lack of a logo may counteract any advantage. The eye is not drawn to them. It could be perceived as a continuation of the voting instructions rather than an option by the casual observer.
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.

I'm purely guessing, but I wonder if the issue isn't the printing but the counting. As long as we count by hand (which I very much approve of) it will be much quicker for humans if they can put all the ballots with a cross at the top in one pile, all the ones with the next box crossed in another, etc.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    > @TOPPING said:
    >
    > Their most egregious error IMO is that their launch and current strategy falls between the stools of the flashy, populist demands of a 24-hr rolling news environment (something Nige wins easily) and the approach required for a long term sustainable new force in politics.
    >
    > It's not that they haven't mastered politics, it's that they haven't mastered channel delivery.

What's their USP versus the Lib Dems?
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/17/change-uk-joan-ryan-look-at-your-hands

I think ChUK passed their noon when that memo about destroying the Lib Dems was leaked. Who did it? Either it was a minion who wished to embarrass ChUK, which seems unlikely, or it came from the leadership themselves, who deliberately set out to make their dastardly plans public. If the latter then that was surely an act of self-destructive hubris.

Pretty good from Owen Jones 👍🏻
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Are they top in every region?
    > The lack of a logo may counteract any advantage. The eye is not drawn to them. It could be perceived as a continuation of the voting instructions rather than an option by the casual observer.

When I saw my ballot paper I suddenly realized that the lack of a logo is not necessarily a problem, when positioned at the top (I'm also in the Eastern region, BTW). It is the classic UX problem where everything is a sea of slightly-too-small icons so they all blend into one, while the whitespace stands out.

Did I actually vote for them though..?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,300

What's their USP versus the Lib Dems?

They are new.

And as far as we know none of the principals have lamped their other halfs at any point over a power lead.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    tlg86 said:

An Independence from Europe got 1.4% of vote from the top of the ballot in 2014.

I thought TBP wanted to be close to Ukip as they thought it might get them a few votes from people who went in to the polling booth looking for Ukip.

‘An Independence From Europe’... thread headers wondering if they would confuse soppy would be Kippers and deny UKIP victory pre 2014 elections, but suggest afterwards that their 1.4% be added to UKIPs when considering how the eurosceptic vote tallied up and they had morphed into anti UKIP votes!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Anecdotal as usual but almost all of my millennial, metropolitan, university educated, former Labour Party voting friends in the North East say they are voting Lib Dem.

Not exactly surprising but noted none the less.
  • Options
    > @Quincel said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.
    >
    > I'm purely guessing, but I wonder if the issue isn't the printing but the counting. As long as we count by hand (which I very much approve of) it will be much quicker for humans if they can put all the ballots with a cross at the top in one pile, all the ones with the next box crossed in another, etc.

And with multiple votes, it's quite often the procedure to separate out the straight-ticket bloc votes, count them, and then line up the split ballots side-by-side, 25 at a time, to count those.
  • Options
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > Anecdotal as usual but almost all of my millennial, metropolitan, university educated, former Labour Party voting friends in the North East say they are voting Lib Dem.
    >
    > Not exactly surprising but noted none the less.

Given the voting system and the fact we only have 3 seats to share - I suspect their votes may be wasted (or worse) let Nigel in to the second seat. Only time will tell though

My vote was Labour rather than Lib Dem for exactly that reason..
  • Options
    isam said:

Pretty good from Owen Jones 👍🏻
    In these divided times, Change UK are doing us all a favour. Everyone else is united in laughing at them.
  • Options
    A thought. Was this the driver of the name change? That they realised they weren't getting the traction they hoped for, so decided they needed to be top of the ballot?
    If so, it may be the one thing they did competently.
  • Options
    eek said:

Given the voting system and the fact we only have 3 seats to share - I suspect their votes may be wasted (or worse) let Nigel in to the second seat. Only time will tell though

My vote was Labour rather than Lib Dem for exactly that reason..

In my opinion Labour doing well is just as likely to lead to a damaging Brexit as the Brexit Party doing well.
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Are they top in every region?
    > The lack of a logo may counteract any advantage. The eye is not drawn to them. It could be perceived as a continuation of the voting instructions rather than an option by the casual observer.

They are top in most but not all. I'm in the NW and they were top, but in London there's an 'Animal Welfare Party' which is higher.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A thought. Was this the driver of the name change? That they realised they weren't getting the traction they hoped for, so decided they needed to be top of the ballot?

If so, it may be the one thing they did competently.

I believe they needed to change their name because the Electoral Commission told them there was no way they could use "Independent" in a party name, as "Independent" is a specific (protected?) concept in elections.

The Independent Group was actually a decent name but it clearly stored up this problem.
  • Options
    Galloway is clearly impressed by Farage's courage and indefatigability.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1130752790475755520
  • Options
    I can barely comprehend my contempt for George Galloway. What on earth is he doing?
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    > > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > > We really ought to randomise the order, it is not hard now that typesetting is by computer, not hot-metal.
    > >
    > > I'm purely guessing, but I wonder if the issue isn't the printing but the counting. As long as we count by hand (which I very much approve of) it will be much quicker for humans if they can put all the ballots with a cross at the top in one pile, all the ones with the next box crossed in another, etc.
    >
    > And with multiple votes, it's quite often the procedure to separate out the straight-ticket bloc votes, count them, and then line up the split ballots side-by-side, 25 at a time, to count those.

Good point. I'd not thought of it complicating the count.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

eek said:

Also FPT

Northern remainer surge.
    Given the age groups of postal voters, you really think this likely?
  • Options
    > @eek said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > Anecdotal as usual but almost all of my millennial, metropolitan, university educated, former Labour Party voting friends in the North East say they are voting Lib Dem.
    > >
    > > Not exactly surprising but noted none the less.
    >
    > Given the voting system and the fact we only have 3 seats to share - I suspect their votes may be wasted (or worse) let Nigel in to the second seat. Only time will tell though
    >
    > My vote was Labour rather than Lib Dem for exactly that reason..
    >

On which note. Labour has finally produced its equivalent of the dodgy bar chart. "It's a two horse race in the North East."
    Pity it has taken till 2 days before the vote to wake up to this simple and obvious message.
    Left it too late, of course, to run it nationally, but it could have been effective if run at the start, when it was the case. Some people were urging it at the time.
  • Options
    matt said:

Given the age groups of postal voters, you really think this likely?

No, not really. Just bantering. :|
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742
    > @eek said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > Anecdotal as usual but almost all of my millennial, metropolitan, university educated, former Labour Party voting friends in the North East say they are voting Lib Dem.
    > >
    > > Not exactly surprising but noted none the less.
    >
    > Given the voting system and the fact we only have 3 seats to share - I suspect their votes may be wasted (or worse) let Nigel in to the second seat. Only time will tell though
    >
    > My vote was Labour rather than Lib Dem for exactly that reason..
    >

Is the number of seats particularly important? The vote shares will probably have much more of an impact.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    Has Farage been milkshaked yet today?
  • Options

Is the number of seats particularly important? The vote shares will probably have much more of an impact.

I’m partial to this line of thinking. Wether there is 1 or 2 BP MEPs in the North East is of no consequence. What is important is showing the strength of feeling for Remain, or at least as softest Brexit as possible.
  • Options
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @eek said:
    > > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > > Anecdotal as usual but almost all of my millennial, metropolitan, university educated, former Labour Party voting friends in the North East say they are voting Lib Dem.
    > > >
    > > > Not exactly surprising but noted none the less.
    > >
    > > Given the voting system and the fact we only have 3 seats to share - I suspect their votes may be wasted (or worse) let Nigel in to the second seat. Only time will tell though
    > >
    > > My vote was Labour rather than Lib Dem for exactly that reason..
    > >
    >
    > Is the number of seats particularly important? The vote shares will probably have much more of an impact.

Possibly it will, possibly it won't be. No-one knows how things will be reported on Monday but personally the fewer seats Nigel wins the better.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    > @Stark_Dawning said:
    > ChUK have become the Chesney Hawkes of British politics: becoming figures of ridicule almost overnight despite initially bursting on the scene to some acclaim.

Will any of them save their seat....to crow "I am the One and Only"?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Anyone interested in about 65 WWII-era newspapers?

My parents have them, inherited, but the papers are heading for the recycling bin in a week or so if nobody wants them. No actual price tag but the weight involved means they have to be collected in person (West Yorkshire) or the postage, which will be a fair bit, must be covered.

Anyway, if you're interested, give me a bell.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Gate, the Remain vote will be a lot more split, though. BP's only real competition should be UKIP, but they're busy imploding.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    > Has Farage been milkshaked yet today?

There's quite a lot of stuff on line showing people who have had milkshakes thrown in their faces. At least I think that's what has happened...
  • Options
    A vote for Labour will be interpreted by the media and the political class as a vote for Brexit. Therefore voting Labour in this election is POINTLESS for a bleeding heart Remoaner such as myself.
  • Options
    Brexit Party would also have had the advantage of being W-A-Y above UKIP. When they are together on the ballot paper, some will get confused and think UKIP is still Farage's lot.....
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Galloway is clearly impressed by Farage's courage and indefatigability.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1130752790475755520

Courageously and indefatigably staying on the bus.
  • Options

Mr. Gate, the Remain vote will be a lot more split, though. BP's only real competition should be UKIP, but they're busy imploding.

Definitely. Can blame the Labour leadership for that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > Brexit Party would also have had the advantage of being W-A-Y above UKIP. When they are together on the ballot paper, some will get confused and think UKIP is still Farage's lot.....

Not in the South East.
  • Options
    And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.

It must take olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @Dura_Ace said:
    > > Has Farage been milkshaked yet today?
    >
    > There's quite a lot of stuff on line showing people who have had milkshakes thrown in their faces. At least I think that's what has happened...

If it's the videos I'm thinking of, and it looks like a strawberry milkshake, then something's severely wrong .... ;(
  • Options
    eek said:

Possibly it will, possibly it won't be. No-one knows how things will be reported on Monday but personally the fewer seats Nigel wins the better.

Nonsense, I'm on £15 a Brexit seat.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.
    >
    > It must take olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

looking at the Remain arguments they seem to be mostly about not liking Farage
  • Options
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.
    >

What if you don't like any of the parties approach to Brexit? Sure if you are for no deal or revoke the decisions are easy, but if you either dont see Brexit as that important, or you are for a Brexit compromise, how do you vote?

Or are our views just discarded so the extremists can have their proxy referendum? A proxy referendum so ill defined that both sides will excitedly claim they won.
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > A thought. Was this the driver of the name change? That they realised they weren't getting the traction they hoped for, so decided they needed to be top of the ballot?
    >
    > If so, it may be the one thing they did competently.
    >
    > I believe they needed to change their name because the Electoral Commission told them there was no way they could use "Independent" in a party name, as "Independent" is a specific (protected?) concept in elections.
    >
    > The Independent Group was actually a decent name but it clearly stored up this problem.

Yes of course. Silly me, I'd forgotten that. At least they had the good sense to choose something which got them at the top though. Although it was probably purely accidental given past form.
  • Options

> @Gallowgate said:

>

What if you don't like any of the parties approach to Brexit? Sure if you are for no deal or revoke the decisions are easy, but if you either dont see Brexit as that important, or you are for a Brexit compromise, how do you vote?

Or are our views just discarded so the extremists can have their proxy referendum? A proxy referendum so ill defined that both sides will excitedly claim they won.

If you aren't that bothered about Brexit or the EU, why not just not vote and take some time off from politics at the EU Elections?
  • Options
    @noneoftheabove I think that’s very much a reasonable reason for voting Labour or Conservative.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,539

> @williamglenn said:

>

>

A bit disconcerting when Galloway expresses an opinion in line with several million political moderates, but of course even a stopped clock is briefly correct twice a day.

• Options
    Betting post

Just noticed something about the vote share markets on most bookies - they don't specify if they are UK or GB totals. Ladbrokes says UK, and I guess that is likely to be the case for everyone who doesn't say - but remember all polls are GB only. For parties polling 20-30% the GB -> UK shift lowers their vote share by about 1%. Given Lab and LDs have both had some polls near the 15/20% thresholds it could make the difference.
  • Options
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > @noneoftheabove I think that’s very much a reasonable reason for voting Labour or Conservative.

Both are prioritising party politics far too much ahead of the national interest to deserve my vote. I did consider Conservative but dont know how that would be interpreted and my biggest preference would be to vote anti ERG so am going to vote Green (probably).
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    >
    > > And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It must take olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.
    >
    >
    >
    > What if you don't like any of the parties approach to Brexit? Sure if you are for no deal or revoke the decisions are easy, but if you either dont see Brexit as that important, or you are for a Brexit compromise, how do you vote?
    >
    >
    >
    > Or are our views just discarded so the extremists can have their proxy referendum? A proxy referendum so ill defined that both sides will excitedly claim they won.
    >
    > If you aren't that bothered about Brexit or the EU, why not just not vote and take some time off from politics at the EU Elections?

I feel it is a duty to vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hmm he doesn’t quite say that... he thinks it’s ok to happen to Farage but not to Soubry

https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1130737779665772544?s=21
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    isam said:

Hmm he doesn’t quite say that... he thinks it’s ok to happen to Farage but not to Soubry

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1130745657365540864
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1130745657365540864
    Not any more by the look of it
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    Oldking cole said -
    ' Could say Heath vs Wilson, too. Heath was more 'charismatic' but Wilson won more elections.'

Attlee won twice in terms of seats - 1945 & 1950. Wilson was seen as far more charismatic than Heath..
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    isam said:

• Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > Not any more by the look of it

Jess could get the reward herself. It could set a trend for politicians to tip milkshake over themselves.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

It’s bad when it happens to anyone. Can’t believe there are people on here who don’t universally condemn it
  • Options

> @Scott_P said:

Jess could get the reward herself. It could set a trend for politicians to tip milkshake over themselves.

I had the idea that Brexiteers should all do a version of the ice bucket challenge but with milk shake! I wish Farage had styled it out better and just shrugged it off, but really politicians of all stripes should unite and say this is bad.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > Not any more by the look of it
    >
    > Jess could get the reward herself. It could set a trend for politicians to tip milkshake over themselves.

The milkshake challenge for charidee, surefire winner & costs a whiny snowflake money.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1130775368376475648

old news and rather desperate stuff
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    isam said:

It depends which woman is on the receiving end. Leadsome = fucking hilarious. Ruby out of Eastenders, less so.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

> @williamglenn said:

>

>

A bit disconcerting when Galloway expresses an opinion in line with several million political moderates, but of course even a stopped clock is briefly correct twice a day.

No dealers are now moderates, it seems. What would count as extreme? Nuking the Berlaymont?

Boy, that Overton window is just *flying* rightwards at the moment.
  • Options
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @Gallowgate said:
    > >
    > > > And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > It must take olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > What if you don't like any of the parties approach to Brexit? Sure if you are for no deal or revoke the decisions are easy, but if you either dont see Brexit as that important, or you are for a Brexit compromise, how do you vote?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Or are our views just discarded so the extremists can have their proxy referendum? A proxy referendum so ill defined that both sides will excitedly claim they won.
    > >
    > > If you aren't that bothered about Brexit or the EU, why not just not vote and take some time off from politics at the EU Elections?
    >
    > I feel it is a duty to vote.

I've always thought that. But it doesn't extend to voting for a Parliament our Parliamentarians have very largely been elected on manifestoes pledging we'd leave.

It's like I'm being offered an extensive range of Betamax tapes.
  • Options

> @noneoftheabove said:

> > @isam said:

> > > @Gallowgate said:

> >

> > > And to continue my meltdown, it’s absolutely ridiculous for Labour cultists to claim people should be voting for other issues in an election to a parliament we might not even be a member of in a few months. This election is about nothing else other than our European Union membership. It can’t be about anything else.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > It must take olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

> >

> >

> >

> > What if you don't like any of the parties approach to Brexit? Sure if you are for no deal or revoke the decisions are easy, but if you either dont see Brexit as that important, or you are for a Brexit compromise, how do you vote?

> >

> >

> >

> > Or are our views just discarded so the extremists can have their proxy referendum? A proxy referendum so ill defined that both sides will excitedly claim they won.

> >

> > If you aren't that bothered about Brexit or the EU, why not just not vote and take some time off from politics at the EU Elections?

>

> I feel it is a duty to vote.

I've always thought that. But it doesn't extend to voting for a Parliament our Parliamentarians have very largely been elected on manifestoes pledging we'd leave.

It's like I'm being offered an extensive range of Betamax tapes.

Leaver not voting. Excellent.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Jess could get the reward herself. It could set a trend for politicians to tip milkshake over themselves.
    >
    > I had the idea that Brexiteers should all do a version of the ice bucket challenge but with milk shake! I wish Farage had styled it out better and just shrugged it off, but really politicians of all stripes should unite and say this is bad.

If they did would that mean if Remainer parties 'win' the Euros, they can say it was achieved without a single milkshake being thrown?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

It’s bad when it happens to anyone. Can’t believe there are people on here who don’t universally condemn it
    It's assault when Nigel was milkshaked, and it was assault when Corbyn was attacked with an egg too. Unacceptable all round.
  • Options
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    > Hmm he doesn’t quite say that... he thinks it’s ok to happen to Farage but not to Soubry
    >
    > https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1130737779665772544
    >
    >
    >
    > It depends which woman is on the receiving end. Leadsome = fucking hilarious. Ruby out of Eastenders, less so.

You can't even spell her name. Leadsom would be no more hilarious than your mum in fairness.
  • Options
    > @Brom said:
    > > @Dura_Ace said:
    > > Hmm he doesn’t quite say that... he thinks it’s ok to happen to Farage but not to Soubry
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1130737779665772544
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > It depends which woman is on the receiving end. Leadsome = fucking hilarious. Ruby out of Eastenders, less so.
    >
    > You can't even spell her name. Leadsom would be no more hilarious than your mum in fairness.

'your mum'

It's definitely the quality of the debate that keeps me here.
  • Options

> @isam said:

> > @Scott_P said:

>

>

>

>

>

> I had the idea that Brexiteers should all do a version of the ice bucket challenge but with milk shake! I wish Farage had styled it out better and just shrugged it off, but really politicians of all stripes should unite and say this is bad.

If they did would that mean if Remainer parties 'win' the Euros, they can say it was achieved without a single milkshake being thrown?

Almost as boringly predictable as my James Felton is unfunny line! Sorry I got there first with the milk shake challenge. I’ll accept great minds think alike rather than say you copied my idea 👍🏻
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nevermind British Steel - Jamie Oliver's chain about to be smelted.
  • Options
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > @Brom said:
    > > > @Dura_Ace said:
    > > > Hmm he doesn’t quite say that... he thinks it’s ok to happen to Farage but not to Soubry
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1130737779665772544
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > It depends which woman is on the receiving end. Leadsome = fucking hilarious. Ruby out of Eastenders, less so.
    > >
    > > You can't even spell her name. Leadsom would be no more hilarious than your mum in fairness.
    >
    >
    > 'your mum'
    >
    > It's definitely the quality of the debate that keeps me here.

I think you misread my point, but well done for supporting people who get excited about assaulting politicians.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    Almost as boringly predictable as my James Felton is unfunny line!

Ooh, nerve tweeked. You really must develop a thicker skin.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @isam said:

Almost as boringly predictable as my James Felton is unfunny line!

Ooh, nerve tweeked. You really must develop a thicker skin.

Not at all, just noting the inconsistency/lack of self awareness 😘
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    > @Pulpstar said:

>
    > It’s bad when it happens to anyone. Can’t believe there are people on here who don’t universally condemn it
    >
    >
    > It's assault when Nigel was milkshaked, and it was assault when Corbyn was attacked with an egg too. Unacceptable all round.

Agreed.
    Without wishing to be humourless, common assault is a crime irrespective of whether some think it funny, or it doesn't seem violent enough for them.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Nevermind British Steel - Jamie Oliver's chain about to be smelted.

The culmination of two years of financial peril.
  • Options
    > @Nigelb said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > >
    > > It’s bad when it happens to anyone. Can’t believe there are people on here who don’t universally condemn it
    > >
    > >
    > > It's assault when Nigel was milkshaked, and it was assault when Corbyn was attacked with an egg too. Unacceptable all round.
    >
    > Agreed.
    > Without wishing to be humourless, common assault is a crime irrespective of whether some think it funny, or it doesn't seem violent enough for them.

Is it bad to think it is common assault, happy for anyone to do it to be prosecuted, think it should be condemned, but still find it (slightly) funny?
  • Options

> @Nigelb said:

> > @Pulpstar said:

>

> >

> > It’s bad when it happens to anyone. Can’t believe there are people on here who don’t universally condemn it

> >

> >

> > It's assault when Nigel was milkshaked, and it was assault when Corbyn was attacked with an egg too. Unacceptable all round.

>

> Agreed.

> Without wishing to be humourless, common assault is a crime irrespective of whether some think it funny, or it doesn't seem violent enough for them.

Is it bad to think it is common assault, happy for anyone to do it to be prosecuted, think it should be condemned, but still find it (slightly) funny?

I know a fair few (minor) public figures & councillors personally - I always have to ask myself how would I feel if it happened to them ?

Not good is the answer regardless of their political persuasion.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    > @Brom said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1130775368376475648
    >
    > old news and rather desperate stuff

Nobody should breach the law.
This discussion has been closed.