Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ChangeUK is learning the hard way that there’s more to running

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

I know. Brexit has induced hysteria in otherwise sensible people. An interesting UnHerd article today made this point very well. "Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, people cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning."
    https://unherd.com/2019/04/have-the-remainers-lost-perspective/

But isn't it quite possible that the average Remainer is a nicer person than the average Leaver, and so this survey captures a rational response not bias on the part of those nasty Remainers? Of course I may just be exhibiting this bias myself, but I would cite a couple of pieces of evidence that I think are supportive. First, compare and contrast the behaviour of protesters for the two sides at recent protests in London. Second, take a look at the constellation of views that correlate with support for Leave, eg on race, sexuality, the death penalty.
    Having said this I would probably put myself in the 70% as I am sure there must be one or two Leavers who are OK. I don't know any Leavers though so it's hard to say for certain.
    Top trolling, unless you're serious. I don't think there's much correlation myself, except that Remain is more urban and middle-class, which one may like or not according to personal preference.
    I am serious, sorry. The point I am making is that people may feel like they don't want to be friends with some of the kind of people who voted leave, and I can sympathise with that. Look at the big pro- my avocado toast to give a fuck.
    Would you say that rejoicing at the deaths of older voters since 2016 is the sign of being a nice person?

There are horrid people on the Leave side, but they exist on your side of the argument, too.

Sounds like Remainers have a problem associating with Leavers, but not the reverse.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7
    theyre all for diversity as long as it isnt diverse
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

It’s the difference between being a senior manager in a large company and the owner of a start-up. They’re not the same job at all.

Some of their mistakes have been very basic though. They need a sense of energy at least. Where is it?

I agree with this. It has been an exercise in how NOT to launch a party. What surprises me is how many school child errors they have committed.

- The name is utterly ridiculous. It would be bad enough being TIG or TIGGERS. That's being polite. It's f-ing useless. They must have suss that at one of their gatherings and thought Change UK would be better. It isn't much. But instead of choosing one over the other they bolted it on. And threw in NP for good measure. So we've got some sort of combination of CHUCK UP (ok that's me being naughty) CHUK NP TIG

- The branding is goddam hopeless. I mean the worst I have ever seen at any launch ever in history. Just crassly appallingly awful

- The logo was rejected (leading to some terrible lampooning by right-winger Guido Fawkes) and was terrible

- No slogan to fit what they stand for

Then there is the lack of policy agreement, selection mistakes and lack of vetting, lack of one clear decisive leader and, to cap it all, the vicious, nasty and underhand, snide attack on the Liberal Democrats which shows they're exactly what they claim to be opposing ... it goes on and on.
    Watching from the outside, it’s hilarious, but must be immensely frustrating for those on the inside, that the leaders of the movement don’t appear to have a clue what they’re doing.

It’s almost as if Chuka thought he could be the next Obama or Macron - but by default, without having to do any work.
    He is heir to a great tradition

https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164
    HYUFD said:

FPT from Axiomatic last thread (I'd said that people should admit their past views without apology, and either regret them, defend them or simply calmly explain they'd moved on, giving my Communist past as an example)::

--------

Bravely said, but imagine if your past was not communist, but Catholic, and you had therefore expressed mainstream 20th century Catholic views on homosexuality? That they are sinners destined to burn in hell? That wouldn't look so good now and you might have to resign, it's a lottery, essentially
    ---------

I think that's another good example (and interesting that being a former orthodox Catholic is seen as more embarrassing than being a former Communist). I think that in that case opinion has moved so far that "defend it" is not a viable option, but I'd probably be OK with an MP who said they used to think that as a regular churchgoer but they've realised it was quite wrong.

But you do need to decide what your view is and stick up for it. Tim Farron's public agonising over whether being gay was a sin just exasperated everyone. As he now recognises, it'd have been less bad to say "I know most of my colleagues think it's odd, but my religious belief tells me this and I'm very committed to my religion." I think that would have led to his removal as LD leader but he'd have retained more respect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42638420

Thete are still a billion Catholics worldwide, I would guess there are not a billion ideological Communists worldwide
    What's that to do with anything? And FWIW I agree about Farron. I think the LD's would have done a bit, but not a lot better, if he'd taken that path.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

Once Brexit is out of the way the Tories will quite happily paper over the cracks and be the force to be reckoned with once more.

Labour on the other hand have been hijacked by unelectable raging Trots, and until or unless they hand the reins back to someone sensible the Labour Party will languish around 30%. Momentum will not hand the party back - not when the prize ithey crave is perpetual opposition.

Tory woes are temporary. Labour are finished!
    It is possible once we actually Brexit and the Tories get a Brexiteer leader and if Umunna replaces Allen as CUK leader and the Corbynistas stay in charge of Labour CUK could overtake Labour yes while the Brexit Party fades as we have left the EU
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,237
    Sean_F said:

The Remain/Leave split in somewhere like inner Birmingham would suggest that plenty of Remain voters there would be of the view that homosexuality is an abomination. Some of them might have some interesting opinions on Jews and Christians, as well. Likewise, I doubt if Remain voters in Crossmaglen are noted for tolerance.

There are good and bad people on either side.

I agree there are good and bad people on either side. I just think there are more good people on the Remain side, which I think is an objective fact if we can agree that holding xenophobic views makes you a bad person, which is why I have some sympathy with people who can't imagine being friends with Leavers. I can personally imagine being friends with a Leaver, although in reality I am not.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,973
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Once Brexit is out of the way the Tories will quite happily paper over the cracks and be the force to be reckoned with once more.

Labour on the other hand have been hijacked by unelectable raging Trots, and until or unless they hand the reins back to someone sensible the Labour Party will languish around 30%. Momentum will not hand the party back - not when the prize ithey crave is perpetual opposition.

It is possible once we actually Brexit and the Tories get a Brexiteer leader and if Umunna replaces Allen as CUK leader and the Corbynistas stay in charge of Labour CUK could overtake Labour yes while the Brexit Party fades as we have left the EU
    A LOT of 'if's there.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Number one on the CUK list for the West Midlands seems to be Stephen Dorrell. So I’ll be voting Green. More broadly, events have overtaken CUK. Realistically, from here the Brexit path is either No Deal or a referendum with Remain on the ballot. The former looks more likely than the latter, but only just. As per Martin Kettle, the party it all hinges on is Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/25/no-soft-brexit-no-deal-revoke-vote

At the moment it is actually Deal plus Customs Union which is closer to a Commons majority than either No Deal or EUref2 as the indicative votes showed and May is still determined to get her Deal through without a referendum.

May is undoubtedly determined. But she is also deluded. There is no Commons majority for anything. That’s why No Deal remains the default, with Remain vía referendum the only other realistic possibility.

No Deal is not the default anymore, the current Commons will always vote for extension over No Deal, unless Macron vetoes in October further extension. Labour MPs from Leave seats will vote for Deal plus Customs Union but not EUref2 see even Stephen Kinnock

https://twitter.com/SKinnock/status/1120276243235201024?s=20
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,992
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Number one on the CUK list for the West Midlands seems to be Stephen Dorrell. So I’ll be voting Green. More broadly, events have overtaken CUK. Realistically, from here the Brexit path is either No Deal or a referendum with Remain on the ballot. The former looks more likely than the latter, but only just. As per Martin Kettle, the party it all hinges on is Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/25/no-soft-brexit-no-deal-revoke-vote

At the moment it is actually Deal plus Customs Union which is closer to a Commons majority than either No Deal or EUref2 as the indicative votes showed and May is still determined to get her Deal through without a referendum.

May is undoubtedly determined. But she is also deluded. There is no Commons majority for anything. That’s why No Deal remains the default, with Remain vía referendum the only other realistic possibility.

No Deal is not the default anymore, the current Commons will always vote for extension over No Deal, unless Macron vetoes in October further extension. Labour MPs from Leave seats will vote for Deal plus Customs Union but not EUref2 see even Stephen Kinnock

So it’s Remain without a referendum, unless the Tories can win an election on a No Deal platform.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    It would suit up the ERG and if it passes and the EU reject it she can then shift to Deal again or Deal plus Customs Union
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Guy Verhofstadt had it right. Remainers have been just as clueless as the Leavers. And the TIGgers have been worst of all.

Clueless, cretinous, lacking in any sense of purpose, needlessly antagonising the LibDems, they represent the worst kind of smug self-satisfied Remainer.

There's a new name for your grouping, Heidi - The Worst Kind of Smug Self-satisfied Remainer Alliance.....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

Good morning, everyone.

Wet, dreary, all a bit bland. Still, things should improve in a little while.

Yip, PB does go through these longeurs on occasion.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it’s Remain without a referendum, unless the Tories can win an election on a No Deal platform.

Remaining without a referendum would make an absolute mockery of democracy.
  • Options

I know. Brexit has induced hysteria in otherwise sensible people. An interesting UnHerd article today made this point very well. "Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, people cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning."

But isn't it quite possible that the average Remainer is a nicer person than the average Leaver, and so this survey captures a rational response not bias on the part of those nasty Remainers? Of course I may just be exhibiting this bias myself, but I would cite a couple of pieces of evidence that I think are supportive. First, compare and contrast the behaviour of protesters for the two sides at recent protests in London. Second, take a look at the constellation of views that correlate with support for Leave, eg on race, sexuality, the death penalty.
    Having said this I would probably put myself in the 70% as I am sure there must be one or two Leavers who are OK. I don't know any Leavers though so it's hard to say for certain.
    Top trolling, unless you're serious. I don't think there's much correlation myself, except that Remain is more urban and middle-class, which one may like or not according to personal preference.
    I am serious, sorry. The point I am making is that people may feel like they don't want to be friends with some of the kind of people who voted leave, and I can sympathise with that. Look at the big pro-Remain march in London, which was totally peaceful and good humoured, would there be any objective reason not to be friends with any of those people? Contrast with some of the people protesting for Leave, and the way they have harassed MPs. A Leaver killed an MP. There have been multiple death threats. Would you want these people as your friend? Is it not revealing that the violence and threats have all been on one side?
    Personally I wouldn't be friends with homophobes and racists, for instance, and while not all Leavers are homophobes and racists most homophobes and racists are Leavers. If this makes me urban and middle class then sorry, I am too busy eating my avocado toast to give a fuck.
    lol

each to his own of course, but the underlying assumption that the other side want to make out with intolerant prigs might be talking selfrighteous smugness a step too far,
    I don't think it makes me intolerant to not want to be friends with people who hate my other friends for loving each other or want to deport my wife. I don't have to tolerate people who are a threat to my way of life.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Foxy said:

SW Euro hustings are shaping up to be interesting, though I do quite like the fragrant Rachel Johnson:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1121065057247465472?s=19

Sargon.. its that the character from Star Trek?
    That episode with the rapey racist?
  • Options

I don't think it makes me intolerant to not want to be friends with people who hate my other friends for loving each other or want to deport my wife. I don't have to tolerate people who are a threat to my way of life.

They are a threat to your way of life?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sounds like Remainers have a problem associating with Leavers, but not the reverse.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7

Perhaps the Brexit Party should rebrand as the Tolerant Party.....
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

FPT--the idea that, after three years of Brexit, Scotland will vote to go through that all over again with independence (which would be all the issues of Brexit on steroids) seems for the birds to me. Desire for full membership of the EU is very unlikely to overrule all of those concerns, despite how passionately some might feel about it.

I’ve been saying this for a long time. Brexit has made it clear just how difficult and damaging leaving a larger economic and political union is. It will be a real issue for the Scottish Nationalists in any future referendum.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,472
    edited April 2019
    Dr Foxy said

'One of the remarkeable, yet unremarked, good things that happened yesterday was that the PM, leader of the DUP, and LOTO all attended a memorial service for an out Lesbian Catholic. Even Ulster is beginning to move with the times.'

The service was an inspiration as the priest put all the politicians on the naughty step with the congregation rising as one in unity applauding the priest demands the politicians used the tragic death of this young journalist as a catalyst for good.

It took some moments for the politicians to rise to join the applause and their embarrassment was there on full display

It struck me that the media should put that moment in time on repeat every hour on the hour to knock sense into all our idiotic warring politicians

• Options

FPT--the idea that, after three years of Brexit, Scotland will vote to go through that all over again with independence (which would be all the issues of Brexit on steroids) seems for the birds to me. Desire for full membership of the EU is very unlikely to overrule all of those concerns, despite how passionately some might feel about it.

I’ve been saying this for a long time. Brexit has made it clear just how difficult and damaging leaving a larger economic and political union is. It will be a real issue for the Scottish Nationalists in any future referendum.
    Some will think it is still worth it... same with Brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Sean_F said:

The Remain/Leave split in somewhere like inner Birmingham would suggest that plenty of Remain voters there would be of the view that homosexuality is an abomination. Some of them might have some interesting opinions on Jews and Christians, as well. Likewise, I doubt if Remain voters in Crossmaglen are noted for tolerance.

I agree there are good and bad people on either side. I just think there are more good people on the Remain side, which I think is an objective fact if we can agree that holding xenophobic views makes you a bad person, which is why I have some sympathy with people who can't imagine being friends with Leavers. I can personally imagine being friends with a Leaver, although in reality I am not.
    Do you have friends?
  • Options
    The Sun on the 'shrooms again. The ultimate accolade, a front page that the National would be proud of.

https://twitter.com/FinlayMcF/status/1121297334393090050
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,610
    Although I agree with the lead that ‘MoreoftheSame UK’ appears to be running into the sand, I am not sure given the time available and the numbers and logistics involved in standing for the local elections that this would ever have been a realistic prospect, even had they decided to do so. I also think David Owen had a point in suggesting that local elections are a distraction from what should be their primary purpose of bringing about political change at Wesminster.

Their real problem is that they are not focusing on the latter, having volunteered for a futile head-to-head with the LibDems as to who is the party of Remain, having displayed precious little inclination to abandon the worst habits of Westminster, and by passing up the chance to head its Euro lists with genuinely new fresh candidates, instead opting to prioritise political has-beens and B list celebrities.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,735

I am serious, sorry. The point I am making is that people may feel like they don't want to be friends with some of the kind of people who voted leave, and I can sympathise with that. Look at the big pro-Remain march in London, which was totally peaceful and good humoured, would there be any objective reason not to be friends with any of those people? Contrast with some of the people protesting for Leave, and the way they have harassed MPs. A Leaver killed an MP. There have been multiple death threats. Would you want these people as your friend? Is it not revealing that the violence and threats have all been on one side?
    Personally I wouldn't be friends with homophobes and racists, for instance, and while not all Leavers are homophobes and racists most homophobes and racists are Leavers. If this makes me urban and middle class then sorry, I am too busy eating my avocado toast to give a fuck.
    Nick, why are you struggling with the logic of OLB statement. Surely it is logical. Although the vast majority of Leavers will be decent people, because they want to leave the EU that will attract the vocal nasty extreme right wingers, which then gives an unfair perception. It is what happens. It is not the fault of the Leavers, but that nasty minority tarnishes the less vocal majority.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Do you have friends?
    Er, yes. Although not as many as you, I am sure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,639
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    It would suit up the ERG and if it passes and the EU reject it she can then shift to Deal again or Deal plus Customs Union
    Wasn't this fantasy seriously discussed last time around and then in the end rejected?

We can't go on like this.
  • Options

The Sun on the 'shrooms again. The ultimate accolade, a front page that the National would be proud of.

Perhaps May's walking holidays are simply a cover for her infinity stone expeditions?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kjh said:

Nick, why are you struggling with the logic of OLB statement. Surely it is logical. Although the vast majority of Leavers will be decent people, because they want to leave the EU that will attract the vocal nasty extreme right wingers, which then gives an unfair perception. It is what happens. It is not the fault of the Leavers, but that nasty minority tarnishes the less vocal majority.
    What's CHUK's excuse?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544
    HYUFD said:

Whoever becomes tbe Tory leader tbe party will coalesce around them. CUK are not going to supercede Labour but they will help to split the anti- Conservative vote. Centre left voters will be without a voice for generations.
  • Options

Dr Foxy said

'One of the remarkeable, yet unremarked, good things that happened yesterday was that the PM, leader of the DUP, and LOTO all attended a memorial service for an out Lesbian Catholic. Even Ulster is beginning to move with the times.'

The service was an inspiration as the priest put all the politicians on the naughty step with the congregation rising as one in unity applauding the priest demands the politicians used the tragic death of this young journalist as a catalyst for good.

It took some moments for the politicians to rise to join the applause and their embarrassment was there on full display

It struck me that the media should put that moment in time on repeat every hour on the hour to knock sense into all our idiotic warring politicians

And 99% of the congregation will vote them back in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And a missed opportunity, if public opinion is now indeed approaching 60/40 against Brexit.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The Sun have certainly got it right with May as Thanos, disintegrating half of all Tories across the universe when she activated the Brexit-delay-to-Infinity Gauntlet......
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And a missed opportunity, if public opinion is now indeed approaching 60/40 against Brexit.
    In the last election they voted in vast numbers for parties that said they'd respect the result.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Having said this I would probably put myself in the 70% as I amin.
    It's logical enough if you believe that you are righteous, and those who disagree with you are evil.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kle4 said:

Incidentally, a factor in CUK's creation that hasn't been mentioned is that a lot of the Labour participants had had VONCs in their local parties. I think if they'd stood and fought they'd have mostly hung on, because the VONCs were usually from just the activist members, but clearly it's easier to defect if your party has just said they don't like you. Nick Boles has had the same on the Tory side, and there was an abortive attempt at it against Anna Soubry.

I think that has not been mentioned a lot for good reason. While a factor it certainly in not easy for someone to quit their party ofv perhaps decades and attempt the very difficult task of breaking into the British party system. That's why it is easier to give up or cross to an existing party than defect to body and start a new one.

Thst may not have been the best approach but I think it a bit unkind to suggest it was easier to ho down this route. It strikes me as, meaning no offence, what party spokesmen would say, like the accusation of them being csreerist.
    Um, I was trying to be nice to them, by saying that the first move was often taken not by them but by their parties (the message for whom is, don't support a VONC unless you really want them to quit). I wasn't accusing them of anything. I think they are politically a serious mistake and damaging in unpredictable ways, mostly to centrist politics, but I wish them nothing but well personally and regard some of them as personal friends.
  • Options

“Temporary” doesn’t really work, when “out of the way” is still years and years away
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,948

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Wasn't this fantasy seriously discussed last time around and then in the end rejected?

Sadly we can and will go on like this! Expect delays until a decision on Brexit in 2021/2 imo
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,740

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Do you have friends?
    The idea that you would choose or exclude friends on the basis of their moderate centrist opinion held by + or - half the population (ie Remain or Leave) is, when looked at in the cool light of morning, raving bonkers. Life is too short.
  • Options
    PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126

Sean_F said:

There are doubtlessly good and bad on both sides. I do find it sad though when politics gets in the way of personal relationships. I can't really countenance remainers who would NEVER be friends with leavers or vice-versa. I'm from Sheffield (a narrow leave city) and live in Glasgow (huge remain), and I feel for both sides.

I'm certainly not judging anyone who, through circumstance, happens to associate with a lot more of one side than the other. It's the bubble dwelling people who won't even engage with someone who disagrees with them that I can't stand and it's more common than you think.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'You may no longer want Brexit but a slim majority of you did three years ago - so you're stuck with it!'
    It's democracy Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'You may no longer want Brexit but a slim majority of you did three years ago - so you're stuck with it!'
    I assume confirmatory votes will be required every three years for whatever decision is made?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    And here's the sound of the last of Adonis's credibility checking into Dignatas

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1121128120243953670
  • Options

Something that Tory members/enthusiasts dont seem to appreciate about their vote is that it historically has been a broad coalition. A reasonable chunk of that includes votes who don't tend to agree with the Tories ideologically but vote for them because of perceived higher competency. Most of that vote is lost for a decade - some will be retained because of Corbyn, but if he was replaced all that vote is available for Labour.

If the Tories install a lazy buffoon or misguided idealogue as leader it does not matter if the party comes together, the Tory voting coalition will not.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Honestly, it is time to send in the men and women in white coats.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I assume confirmatory votes will be required every three years for whatever decision is made?
    ... only if the country ever gets in as bad a position as it is now.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Keith Taylor (South East Green MP since 2010) is retiring. The new SE top candidate is Alexandra Phillips (a Cllr in Brighton and Hove)
  • Options

I am serious, sorry. o give a fuck.
    lol

each to his own of course, but the underlying assumption that the other side want to make out with intolerant prigs might be talking selfrighteous smugness a step too far,
    " I don't have to tolerate people who are a threat to my way of life"

actually you do, thats how tolerant societies work. Agreeing with them is a different matter

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Do you have friends?
    The idea that you would choose or exclude friends on the basis of their moderate centrist opinion held by + or - half the population (ie Remain or Leave) is, when looked at in the cool light of morning, raving bonkers. Life is too short.
    I agree 100%. I have never done that. It simply turned out in 2016 that basically everyone I was already friends with, even those I disagreed with politically, voted Remain. Since 2016 I have not met any vocal Leaver that I have become friends with, but that is only because I have not met any vocal Leavers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If there is one consistent theme across Europe it is that if people vote for the EU, that vote is decisive. If they vote against, they get told to rethink the matter.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I think Mays lost it completely .

If that Peston tweet is true, you can’t ratify something that’s not been agreed with the EU and even more shocking that May would even think of removing the backstop given recent events in NI .

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Although I agree with the lead that ‘MoreoftheSame UK’ appears to be running into the sand, I am not sure given the time available and the numbers and logistics involved in standing for the local elections that this would ever have been a realistic prospect, even had they decided to do so. I also think David Owen had a point in suggesting that local elections are a distraction from what should be their primary purpose of bringing about political change at Wesminster.

Their real problem is that they are not focusing on the latter, having volunteered for a futile head-to-head with the LibDems as to who is the party of Remain, having displayed precious little inclination to abandon the worst habits of Westminster, and by passing up the chance to head its Euro lists with genuinely new fresh candidates, instead opting to prioritise political has-beens and B list celebrities.

Agreed, whether they fought in council elections or not is a secondary issue. If they want to be an ongoing political force their mistakes are not creating electoral pact with other parties, not proposing two or three tangible policies that would quickly improve peoples lives, and not creating a significant online presence.

They did achieve some changes in tone and policy from both Labour and Tories after their resignations but they could and should have done much more.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is no majority for revoke either unless Macron vetoes in October and a forced choice of revoke or No Deal is made. May will press on with her Deal and agree further extension as she cannot now be challenged again until December
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Whoever becomes tbe Tory leader tbe party will coalesce around them. CUK are not going to supercede Labour but they will help to split the anti- Conservative vote. Centre left voters will be without a voice for generations.
    CUK gets almost as many Tory voters as Labour voters in current polls, many Tory Remainers could vote CUK if as is likely Boris or Raab succeeds May.

En Marche showed how a centrist party could win against socialist left and conservative and populist right
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is no majority for revoke either unless Macron vetoes in October and a forced choice of revoke or No Deal is made. May will press on with her Deal and agree further extension as she cannot now be challenged again until December
    Does she have a chance of surviving another vote in December? How scared are the payroll MPs of a potential ERG leader/Boris?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    Theresa May's errors occurred in 2016. Not now.

Now she is neither deluded nor indecisive.

She is promoting the only possible way for the UK to leave the EU on sensible and realistic terms which avoids damage.

That many in the Commons want to cause damage to their country is not her fault.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    MEPs' retirements confirmed so far (waiting for Brexit full lists)

Name (party, year of birth; years of service)

Lucy Anderson (Labour, 2014-19)
    David Campbell Bannerman (Conservatives, 1960; 2009-19)
    Jacqueline Foster (Conservatives, 1947; 1999-2004, 2009-19)
    Julie Girling (Independent, elected as Conservatives; 1956; 2009-19)
    Mary Honeyball (Labour, 1952; 2000-19)
    Ian Hudghton (SNP, 1951; 1998-2019)
    Jean Lambert (Greens, 1950; 1999-2019)
    Linda McAvan (Labour, 1962; 1998-2019)
    Jim Nicholson (UUP, 1945; 1989-2019)
    Patrick O'Flynn (SDP elected as UKIP, 1965; 2014-19)
    Kay Swinburne (Conservatives, 1967; 2009-19)
    Keith Taylor (Greens, 1953; 2010-19)
    Derek Vaughan (Labour, 1961; 2009-19)

MEPs can take their parliamentary pension at 63. Pension is calculated as follows:
    3.5% of salary multiplied by number of years of service. Pensions can't be higher than 70% of the salary.
    Gross monthly salary is currently € 8.757,70 (€ 6.824,85 after EU taxation. Further national taxation is possible)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CUK gets almost as many Tory voters as Labour voters in current polls, many Tory Remainers could vote CUK if as is likely Boris or Raab succeeds May.
    To be fair CHUK also apparently gets about a third of its support from Leavers in those self-same polls, so I’m not sure how much subsamples tell us...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

She is promoting the only possible way for the UK to leave the EU on sensible and realistic terms which avoids damage.

That many in the Commons want to cause damage to their country is not her fault.

I am in a small minority who think she did a good job negotiating the WA, if we are going to Brexit, it is fine, it will only last a few years on broadly similar terms as we are now so wont cause particular damage, and various different flavours of long term brexit would be open to us.

The issue is she has been the worst PM in recent memory in promoting this, and she still is not doing it. She knows the issues inside and out better than any of the ERG, why is she not on TV every week pitching for her deal, offering to debate Boris or JRM or Corbyn rather than being hunkered in her bunker looking deluded and indecisivie (I agree she is far from indecisive but that is how she will appear to many).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

She is deluded in thinking the commons will pass her vote if she keeps putting it forward.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We have confirmatory votes on everything every 5 years
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

En Marche showed how a centrist party could win against socialist left and conservative and populist right
    With FPTP, Macron won't happen here. CUK will damage Labour more than Con. Don't worry after a few months of introspection the Tories will be fine!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Does she have a chance of surviving another vote in December? How scared are the payroll MPs of a potential ERG leader/Boris?
    Probably not but by then further extension from October will have been agreed if the WA has not passed yet and provided Macron has not vetoed
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the nub is on which side lies the implicit threat. I may have observed before that I'd probably consider Old Firm supporters to share a certain propensity for victimhood, paranoia and entitlement, but in pubs full of either sets of fans there's only one lot that I've feared getting a doing from, and they don't wear the green. Similarly did anyone (aside from that arsehole Sarah Vine) who voted leave feel physically threatened during the London anti Brexit march?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair CHUK also apparently gets about a third of its support from Leavers in those self-same polls, so I’m not sure how much subsamples tell us...
    Yougov has 3% of Remainers voting Brexit Party and 2% of Leavers voting CUK in the EU Parliament elections but there will always be exceptions

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/18/voting-intention-conservatives-29-labour-30-16-17-
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With FPTP, Macron won't happen here. CUK will damage Labour more than Con. Don't worry after a few months of introspection the Tories will be fine!
    Macron and En Marche even narrowly won the first round of both the presidential and legislative elections which are effectively FPTP unlike the runoff.

CUK will win Tory Remainers and centrists as well as Labour Remainers and centrists if we leave the EU and Boris or Raab leads the Tories and Corbyn stays Labour leader
  • Options
    MEPs who are not re-elected will get the transitional allowance. It is one month salary multiplied by the number of years as MEP for a maximum of 24 monthly salaries. If the retiring/defeated MEP is entitled of the pension, he/she has to choose between pension and this allowance (but if I read it correctly, I think they can claim the allowance and then move into the pension after it).
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Sadly we can and will go on like this! Expect delays until a decision on Brexit in 2021/2 imo
    This parliament will not make any decision on Brexit other than further delay. No majority exists for any of the possible ways out. So there will be no clear way forward until after the next election, and the chances of one emerging then are not great if current opinion polling is any guide. Another hung parliament is likely to be as deadlocked as the current one.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the nub is on which side lies the implicit threat. I may have observed before that I'd probably consider Old Firm supporters to share a certain propensity for victimhood, paranoia and entitlement, but in pubs full of either sets of fans there's only one lot that I've feared getting a doing from, and they don't wear the green. Similarly did anyone (aside from that arsehole Sarah Vine) who voted leave feel physically threatened during the London anti Brexit march?
    Most of the (few) Leavers I associate with take the view that 'we should just Leave'.

No, I don't understand, either. So I just let them get on with it and talk about something else.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

It’s the difference between being a senior manager in a large company and the owner of a start-up. They’re not the same job at all.

Some of their mistakes have been very basic though. They need a sense of energy at least. Where is it?

I
    I am not sure I buy the branding/name criticisms. Everyone is talking about both, which is kind of the point of a party name and branding, isn’t it? They may be crap, but then Conservative and Labour are hardly inspiring. And what on earth does Liberal Democrat even mean? The key thing is name recognition and association. Now everyone knows CUK/TIG and everyone knows it is an anti-Brexit party. Job done at low cost, surely.

I respectfully think that's bubble speak.

Unless you're a political anorak you won't have much clue what CHUCK UP NP TIG means or stands for. It's hopeless.

People are stupid. Okay, sorry, that's very bad. But people aren't as clued up about politics and politicking as we might think. Nigel Farage for all his many faults gets that perfectly. So did the Leave campaign. You need a simple message and simple branding. In particular:

- Your party name needs to do what it says on the tin. Not so much of a problem if you've been around 100 years. Big problem if you're a new kid on the block.
    Brexit Party: simple and very effective.

- A clear powerful slogan. Not some management elitist bubble speak. A clear decisive slogan. Take Back Control: brilliant

- A logo that matches the above. Cameron was lampooned for the Tory Tree and probably for good reason

- Branding that matches the message. The Tigger Chuckup was hopelessly awful

- One clear decisive leader. This was the schoolboy error of the two David's (hilariously and viciously shredded by Spitting Image). It's like everything else: one simple single theme, slogan, brand, logo, leader.

Keep it simple. Keep it strong.
  • Options
    Change UK haven't adjusted to the mindset of not being one of the two main parties yet. Under FPTP they need to make alliances, under d'Hondt maybe they don't, but would do better if they did.
  • Options

I am serious, sorry. o give a fuck.
    lol

" I don't have to tolerate people who are a threat to my way of life"

actually you do, thats how tolerant societies work. Agreeing with them is a different matter

How far tolerant societies should tolerate the threat from the intolerant is one of the most pressing questions of our times. Only up to a point is I think the honest answer, and indeed the revealed preference of these societies. Where that point is depends on your tolerance to the threat and that in part depends on whether the threat is to you and your loved ones directly. "if you tolerate this, your children will be next" turned out to be prophetic, after all.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    RobD said:

We are already way past that point. The politics and government of this country are utterly laughable.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

And here's the sound of the last of Adonis's credibility checking into Dignatas

Blimey, how did they get to him? That statement is almost the total opposite of everything he's been banging on about since the referendum.
  • Options
    Seems to be the day for calling off mergers

Deutsche Bank and Commerz Bank call off the wedding

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/unternehmen/deutsche-bank-und-commerzbank-fusionsgespraeche-scheitern-wohl-16156677.html
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    There won't be many TIG MPs after the next GE. They offer nothing new whatsoever.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Even Change is crap. Change to what? Why? For whom? Most people, not just Gaffer Gamgee, actually don't like change. If you're going to advocate change you need to be very clear and decisive what you're offering them to change to. Offering a message of malcontent isn't enough if you're hoping for power. You'll remain fringe.

Has it also not occurred to anyone that Change and Remain are diametric opposites?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I am in a small minority who think she did a good job negotiating the WA, if we are going to Brexit, it is fine, it will only last a few years on broadly similar terms as we are now so wont cause particular damage, and various different flavours of long term brexit would be open to us.

The issue is she has been the worst PM in recent memory in promoting this, and she still is not doing it. She knows the issues inside and out better than any of the ERG, why is she not on TV every week pitching for her deal, offering to debate Boris or JRM or Corbyn rather than being hunkered in her bunker looking deluded and indecisivie (I agree she is far from indecisive but that is how she will appear to many).
    Yes that is undoubtedly true.

She is not doing it because that is not one of her skills. But the substance of what she has achieved remains regardless of that.

But yes she is a shockingly bad PM for our digital times.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,907
    A thread on TIG/Change UK candidates who were calling for alliances with other parties up until a few days ago...

https://twitter.com/richardf/status/1121333703656050688
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TOPPING said:

So the Theresa May who spent most of 2018 trying to get the EU to remove the backstop wasn't mistaken?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

TOPPING said:

She is deluded in thinking the commons will pass her vote if she keeps putting it forward.
    She is saying the world is round in the face of a strong flat earth movement.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,535
    Re CHUK, I just do not think there is a great demand for a new centrist political party. We have the LibDems. They are a centrist party, well established too, and about to get a new leader who will do better than Vince. And we have the two big parties, OK at present captured by right and left but still room there for centre ground people to make their mark, and in any case they will probably tack a little towards the centre again one day fairly soon. Why on earth get animated by these new guys? Nothing new is offered. The personnel are just disaffected MPs and their disaffection is for disparate reasons. No ideology. No coherent policy platform. No thank you.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You're conflating having a position on something with getting legislation through parliament. As PM, the latter is her job
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    isam said:
    you can't underestimate there's a lot of angry people out there on all sides. That is not good, and all parties have blame for this.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

So the Theresa May who spent most of 2018 trying to get the EU to remove the backstop wasn't mistaken?
    I'm not sure she did do that.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You're conflating having a position on something with getting legislation through parliament. As PM, the latter is her job
    We always complain that politicians follow and don't lead.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,291
    kinabalu said:

Re CHUK, I just do not think there is a great demand for a new centrist political party. We have the LibDems. They are a centrist party, well established too, and about to get a new leader who will do better than Vince. And we have the two big parties, OK at present captured by right and left but still room there for centre ground people to make their mark, and in any case they will probably tack a little towards the centre again one day fairly soon. Why on earth get animated by these new guys? Nothing new is offered. The personnel are just disaffected MPs and their disaffection is for disparate reasons. No ideology. No coherent policy platform. No thank you.

There is great demand for an effective centrist party, IMO. Neither the LibDems nor Change UK are meeting it at the moment.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Even Change is crap. Change to what? Why? For whom? Most people, not just Gaffer Gamgee, actually don't like change. If you're going to advocate change you need to be very clear and decisive what you're offering them to change to. Offering a message of malcontent isn't enough if you're hoping for power. You'll remain fringe.

Has it also not occurred to anyone that Change and Remain are diametric opposites?

Change has been consistently shown by focus groups to be a vote-winning slogan. It was Obama's slogan. Of course you are right that it seems quite vapid, but people are apt to fall for marketing campaigns. We'll see if this one has any legs.
  • Options
    Emperor Macron will address the san sculottes tonight and tell them why they dont want cake

His big offer appears to be the close the Ecole nationale dAdministration

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/emmanuel-macron-un-rendez-vous-crucial-avec-le-pays-20190424
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338

Emperor Macron will address the san sculottes tonight and tell them why they dont want cake

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/emmanuel-macron-un-rendez-vous-crucial-avec-le-pays-20190424

Hmm, perhaps that will give Corbyn ideas. Nationalising Eton would be popular.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966
    Alistair said:
    It's Pesto, so probably not going to happen tbf.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I
    I am not sure I buy the branding/name criticisms. Everyone is talking about both, which is kind of the point of a party name and branding, isn’t it? They may be crap, but then Conservative and Labour are hardly inspiring. And what on earth does Liberal Democrat even mean? The key thing is name recognition and association. Now everyone knows CUK/TIG and everyone knows it is an anti-Brexit party. Job done at low cost, surely.

I respectfully think that's bubble speak.

Unless you're a political anorak you won't have much clue what CHUCK UP NP TIG means or stands for. It's hopeless.

People are stupid. Okay, sorry, that's very bad. But people aren't as clued up about politics and politicking as we might think. Nigel Farage for all his many faults gets that perfectly. So did the Leave campaign. You need a simple message and simple branding. In particular:

- Your party name needs to do what it says on the tin. Not so much of a problem if you've been around 100 years. Big problem if you're a new kid on the block.
    Brexit Party: simple and very effective.

- A clear powerful slogan. Not some management elitist bubble speak. A clear decisive slogan. Take Back Control: brilliant

- A logo that matches the above. Cameron was lampooned for the Tory Tree and probably for good reason

- Branding that matches the message. The Tigger Chuckup was hopelessly awful

- One clear decisive leader. This was the schoolboy error of the two David's (hilariously and viciously shredded by Spitting Image). It's like everything else: one simple single theme, slogan, brand, logo, leader.

Keep it simple. Keep it strong.
    Exactly.

The most successful political branding exercise in recent years was New Labour.

And it did all the things in your list.

New Labour - Tony Blair - for the many not the few (a slogan which is still being used by Labour today)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Hmm, perhaps that will give Corbyn ideas. Nationalising Eton would be popular.
    nah close Oxford Uni it produces a conveyor belt of shit politicians
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966
    "ChangeUK going AWOL for the biggest set of local elections in the four year cycle of these elections might in retrospect not look smart."

Couldn't the same be said of the Brexit Party?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    More Brexit Party candidates being announced in Manchester at 11am.
  • Options
    Toby's unending search for someone he can call a friend continues.

https://twitter.com/jayrayner1/status/1121329488317562880
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260

I beg to differ.
This discussion has been closed.