Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s time we moved back to MPs choosing the party leader inste

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    nico67 said:

This ploy looks to cut off the chance of a further extension .

Vote the WA and after April 12 it’s too late to organize EU elections . So saying to the ERG get it through and the UK is definitely out by May 22 . Of course they could then derail the WAIB and force no deal unless the nuclear option of revoke happens .

In terms of EU elections there’s nothing in the ECJ decision to stop revocation past April 12 . The EU can’t stop that as long as that happens before the expiry of the May 22 extension.

And if the WA comes back tomorrow , then amendments could be put down so that could cause the government more problems .

But the whole argument before was vote it through and be out by March 29th (tomorrow). Why would they relent now? Their aim is to stall everything and achieve crash out no deal.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Norm said:

Danny565 said:
    Such self- indulgence when for example the British Chamber of Commerce just meeting down the road are saying the current uncertainty is now causing real practical difficulties to importers and exporters.

And how does he gain a new PM under that scenario given TM's resignation is conditional?
    He waits till December I guess. May should make tomorrow's vote a confidence matter, remove the whip from the ERG hard-liners who still vote against, and call an election...

They'd be disqualified from standing as Tories in the GE, I believe.
    The FTPA does not allow the government to deem random votes to be matters of confidence. Confidence votes have to use a prescribed wording and follow a set procedure.

Another thoughtful change left to us by David Cameron.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Norm said:

Danny565 said:
    Such self- indulgence when for example the British Chamber of Commerce just meeting down the road are saying the current uncertainty is now causing real practical difficulties to importers and exporters.

And how does he gain a new PM under that scenario given TM's resignation is conditional?
    He waits till December I guess. May should make tomorrow's vote a confidence matter, remove the whip from the ERG hard-liners who still vote against, and call an election...

Grieve would be dewhipped too.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Off topic: I may actually cry at this.

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8721508/inter-ac-milan-san-siro-new-stadium/amp/

Concrete it may be, but the San Siro is one of the most unconscionability beautiful structures in the world imho.

Have you been?
    A couple of times some years ago. The sight lines and in stadium experience are not modern, it's very vertiginous, and when not full the lowest ring near the pitch tends to be pretty empty putting gap between fan and pitch that was never intended.

But if I were to choose any stadium in the world to survive to 4000AD to tell those people of our times, forget your fancy new stadia, I would choose this one.
    The facilities in the (Milan) away end certainly leave a lot to be desired. That said, I'm glad I've been as it is iconic. If Arsenal get past Napoli and play Valencia in the semi final I'll go as I've always wanted to go to the Mestalla.
    In terms of stadia of iconicness then St John's Wood is as far as one need go. Perhaps notwithstanding the MCG on the first morning of a Boxing Day Ashes test
    I've only watched professional cricket at one ground - Woodbridge Road, Guildford. I think I'd put Newlands ahead of the MCG as far as grounds I would like to visit.
    I've always wanted to go the Perth test. The world could explode in nuclear war on the first morning and the test would be over before news reached.
    Antigua or St Lucia would be good.
    Norfolks old ground at lakenham was fun if only because I saw them beat a rest of the world side there, it was a terrible wicket though
    A Test Match, even more a one-day game, in Sri Lanka is an experience. And Galle is a visual one as well. Newlands is spectacular.
    Chelmsford, where I go frequently, desperatly needs a rebuild, but the atmosphere on a Friday night for a T20 can be great.
    Worst ground in this part of he world is the Garon Stadium in Southend. Featureless, cold, poor outfield and appalling access.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

Parties are partnerships between members and MPs. There isn't a problem about the membership having a say, because that allows some balance. The problems come when only the membership has the say.

Yes, there is a degree of balance in the Tory process, with elimination to the final two ensuring that a leader must enjoy a reasonably high level of support amongst many MPs even if the successful candidate is not the first choice of the majority. The problem with the Tory process is with the procedure for getting rid of a leader who just scrapes home against a challenge (i.e. the 12 month embargo) not with the process of choosing them.

Generally MPs rally around their new leader anyway if they are any good, so an initial shortfall of MPs won't last. Ed Miliband achieved that - it was opponents outside not inside the party who tried to use the electoral college outcome against him. The problem with the new Labour process is that the MPs nominations threshold is far too low, effectively stripping them of influence. And the electoral college was a far better means of achieving balance anyway.

I agree. The Labour method is too membership orientated. A 50/50 weighting MPs vs Members would be appropriate IMO.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8721508/inter-ac-milan-san-siro-new-stadium/amp/

Concrete it may be, but the San Siro is one of the most unconscionability beautiful structures in the world imho.

Have you been?
    A couple of times some years ago. The sight lines and in stadium experience are not modern, it's very vertiginous, and when not full the lowest ring near the pitch tends to be pretty empty putting gap between fan and pitch that was never intended.

But if I were to choose any stadium in the world to survive to 4000AD to tell those people of our times, forget your fancy new stadia, I would choose this one.
    The facilities in the (Milan) away end certainly leave a lot to be desired. That said, I'm glad I've been as it is iconic. If Arsenal get past Napoli and play Valencia in the semi final I'll go as I've always wanted to go to the Mestalla.
    In terms of stadia of iconicness then St John's Wood is as far as one need go. Perhaps notwithstanding the MCG on the first morning of a Boxing Day Ashes test
    I've only watched professional cricket at one ground - Woodbridge Road, Guildford. I think I'd put Newlands ahead of the MCG as far as grounds I would like to visit.
    I've always wanted to go the Perth test. The world could explode in nuclear war on the first morning and the test would be over before news reached.
    Norfolks old ground at lakenham was fun if only because I saw them beat a rest of the world side there, it was a terrible wicket though
    A Test Match, even more a one-day game, in Sri Lanka is an experience. And Galle is a visual one as well. Newlands is spectacular.
    Chelmsford, where I go frequently, desperatly needs a rebuild, but the atmosphere on a Friday night for a T20 can be great.
    Worst ground in this part of he world is the Garon Stadium in Southend. Featureless, cold, poor outfield and appalling access.
    Last time I was at Chelmsford was 1985 for the touring aussies, including a decrepit Jeff Thomson
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Off topic, Pete Buttigieg was last matched on Betfair at 11 for the Democratic nomination. The market seems to be getting far ahead of the current state of play, on him at least.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/28/politics/pete-buttigieg-best-national-poll-so-far/index.html
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Vote the WA and after April 12 it’s too late to organize EU elections . So saying to the ERG get it through and the UK is definitely out by May 22 . Of course they could then derail the WAIB and force no deal unless the nuclear option of revoke happens .

In terms of EU elections there’s nothing in the ECJ decision to stop revocation past April 12 . The EU can’t stop that as long as that happens before the expiry of the May 22 extension.

And if the WA comes back tomorrow , then amendments could be put down so that could cause the government more problems .

But the whole argument before was vote it through and be out by March 29th (tomorrow). Why would they relent now? Their aim is to stall everything and achieve crash out no deal.
    It's either that or the line Dan Hannan and others are suggesting i.e. that we should merrily extend for up to 21 months, hold euro elections (don't rate his chances of being returned lol) and renegotiate a Swiss or EFTA style deal. And stay outside the Customs Union which he hates.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    How's Nigel's Leave march getting on - are they still planning a big finale in London tomorrow or are they taking it a bit easier now they have more time?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Norm said:

Danny565 said:

The FTPA does not allow the government to deem random votes to be matters of confidence. Confidence votes have to use a prescribed wording and follow a set procedure.

Wasn't that one demanded by Clegg?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Uncouple + amend EU Withdrawal Act + some parliamentary oversight committee for PD?
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Interesting but off topic: the shine is very quickly going off Trudeau

https://globalnews.ca/news/5103763/trudeau-approval-rating-snc-lavalin-budget/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    nico67 said:

Is that right ? I've started reading about how the WA has to be passed tomorrow - I thought the deadline was 12/4. Passing the WA before then means we leave the EU on 22/5 and don't participate in the EU parliamentary elections.

IF the WA isn't passed, the options are down to two - either we leave on 12/4 without a WA and don't take part in the EU elections or we ask for a longer extension (a year, two years?) which would means we would have to participate in the EU elections. I don't detect a lot of enthusiasm for the UK to take part in those elections so part of me wonders if it has to be NO deal and we leave on 12/4, that's what happens.

The Government will, from 13/4, be in crisis management mode as the impact of No Deal(whatever it is or they are) becomes clear. When and how does May step down - unfortunately she has made the same mistake Blair and Cameron did and made herself a lame duck.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:
    This is essentially what I have been saying for a while is a very feasible outcome.

Uncouple the WA from the PD.
    WA passed and we leave in Q2.
    Tories select new leader.
    GE to decide who runs with the Future Relationship.

Has a lot going for it.
    It’s a mirage. The EU Withdrawal Act explicitly links ratification of the WA to the PD.
    So amend the Act.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    SeanT said:

Worse approval ratings than the Donald...impressive work.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

Last time I was at Chelmsford was 1985 for the touring aussies, including a decrepit Jeff Thomson
    The 2005 game against the Aussies was the one to be at; Essex rolled them over and the crowd were chanting "Are you Scotland in disguise?" Cook at 21 scored a double century off a more or less Test attack.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    SeanT said:

He's been PM for 4 years!
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Uncouple + amend EU Withdrawal Act + some parliamentary oversight committee for PD?

By tomorrow evening?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Worse approval ratings than the Donald...impressive work.
    But probably still ratings Corbyn would kill for.....
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

I was taken by a Welsh university mate to a game at Neath when I visited him one holiday. That's the most intimidating thing I've experienced in a sports arena

The chants of Neaf Neaf Neaf are well known. Funnily enough the only time I've been there was to watch cricket next door. Glamorgan vs Australia. Mark Waugh attempted to hit 6 sixes in an over off a young bowler called Stuart Phelps. He managed 4 but then the fifth one he scuffed for a single to long on. My brother swears he hit the ground with his bat in annoyance. Almost exactly 25 years after Garfield Sobers had first achieved it - down the road in St Helens.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

SeanT said:

And not for much longer, apparently.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    So when is the election then - late June?

And does that mean we leave on 22 May - before the election? I can see Labour being torn - but they could wipe out the Tiggers.

And then we can have an election about whether we are in a customs arrangement, no customs union, a customs union or the customs union - and within a few days we will probably all end up being driven to needing free social care!
    I'm just lost now. And I am a politics geek like the rest of you. But this - this is now a special kind of wtf-ery.

I'm not sure there's anyone who actually and properly understands the entirety of what is happening. It's like a sport where nineteen different teams play against each other simultaneously, on the same pitch, each with a small but significantly different understanding of the rules.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Danny565 said:

And the TIGs, not having a party, would have to stand as Independents.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fair enough. He just feels "new", the same way Blair felt "new" for about 6 years. Something to do with youth, I suppose.

Looks like he's gonna be gone in much shorter order than Blair.
  • Options
    Beto reminds me a lot of Trudeau...always trying to be too cool for school.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:

And does that mean we leave on 22 May - before the election? I can see Labour being torn - but they could wipe out the Tiggers.

And then we can have an election about whether we are in a customs arrangement, no customs union, a customs union or the customs union - and within a few days we will probably all end up being driven to needing free social care!
    I'm just lost now. And I am a politics geek like the rest of you. But this - this is now a special kind of wtf-ery.

I'm not sure there's anyone who actually and properly understands the entirety of what is happening. It's like a sport where nineteen different teams play against each other simultaneously, on the same pitch, each with a small but significantly different understanding of the rules.
    Oh, a lot of people are understanding what is happening. They are watching democracy be debased.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    SeanT said:

brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:

Like!
  • Options

I was taken by a Welsh university mate to a game at Neath when I visited him one holiday. That's the most intimidating thing I've experienced in a sports arena

The chants of Neaf Neaf Neaf are well known. Funnily enough the only time I've been there was to watch cricket next door. Glamorgan vs Australia. Mark Waugh attempted to hit 6 sixes in an over off a young bowler called Stuart Phelps. He managed 4 but then the fifth one he scuffed for a single to long on. My brother swears he hit the ground with his bat in annoyance. Almost exactly 25 years after Garfield Sobers had first achieved it - down the road in St Helens.
    It was like the earth itself roaring!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Norm said:

Danny565 said:

Wasn't that one demanded by Clegg?
    Possibly. I think it was supposed to prevent the Tories calling an early election to dump the Lib Dems though they still had the numbers to call one as long as the opposition went along with it, which obviously it would have done.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    stodge said:

nico67 said:

Is that right ? I've started reading about how the WA has to be passed tomorrow - I thought the deadline was 12/4. Passing the WA before then means we leave the EU on 22/5 and don't participate in the EU parliamentary elections.

IF the WA isn't passed, the options are down to two - either we leave on 12/4 without a WA and don't take part in the EU elections or we ask for a longer extension (a year, two years?) which would means we would have to participate in the EU elections. I don't detect a lot of enthusiasm for the UK to take part in those elections so part of me wonders if it has to be NO deal and we leave on 12/4, that's what happens.

The Government will, from 13/4, be in crisis management mode as the impact of No Deal(whatever it is or they are) becomes clear. When and how does May step down - unfortunately she has made the same mistake Blair and Cameron did and made herself a lame duck.
    You need to ask yourself @Stodge if there's less enthusiasm for crashing out with no deal or taking part in the EU elections (amongst MPs since they are the ones deciding).

I think if the WA is not passed tomorrow we are taking part in the EU elections. Could be fun!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

The 2005 game against the Aussies was the one to be at; Essex rolled them over and the crowd were chanting "Are you Scotland in disguise?" Cook at 21 scored a double century off a more or less Test attack.
    Yes the first time I heard chef mentioned as a future test player!
    2005, dizzy Gillespie's nightmare
  • Options

Beto reminds me a lot of Trudeau...always trying to be too cool for school.

Both reek of establishment
  • Options
    edited March 2019

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?
    It was. He trudged back to field in front of the stand where I was sitting like a man going to execution.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    OT, this has been a hobby horse of mine for a while. The claim that Mr. Thicky has a mandate because he managed to convince the Labour membership is a classic example of people claiming something is "democratic", when the real mandate is with MPs who have had "real" people vote for them has much greater democratic legitimacy. The question is, Mike, as to whether MPs have the balls to stand up to their respective swivel-eyed activists? Probably not, sadly!
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Danny565 said:

And the TIGs, not having a party, would have to stand as Independents.
    Can't see either of those points as likely to put Theresa off tbh.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    "Vote Leave campaign director Dominic Cummings has put out a call to arms for Leavers to mobilise for a new party."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/28/tories-have-lost-hope-seeing-brexit-new-political-party-can/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?
    It was. He trudged back to field in front of the stand where I was sitting like a man going to execution.
    Him shaking his head in the 2nd test as Pietersen took him apart is a great memory
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I see both Remainers and the ERG are busy poo-pooing the notion of linking
    a general election with the WA vote while at the same time being very happy to proceed with EU elections to achieve the extension they want (for very different reasons). Irony meter.
  • Options

You need to ask yourself @Stodge if there's less enthusiasm for crashing out with no deal or taking part in the EU elections (amongst MPs since they are the ones deciding).

I think if the WA is not passed tomorrow we are taking part in the EU elections. Could be fun!

The view I'm hearing from Europe is the EU aren't keen on us taking part in elections when we are leaving. I suppose the analogy would be if Scotland, having voted for independence in 2014, had been allowed to elect MPs to the Westminster parliament in 2015 while the mechanics of separation were being worked out.

However, they are stymied by the legality and the democracy which says if we are members we have to hold the elections.

Politicians might enjoy stumping the doorstep but I can't see the rest of us being very enthused. We would be compelled to spend public money on an election with no meaning and who would benefit. How would a Conservative fancy going out on the doorsteps especially if the local elections aren't good?

I suppose the EU could refuse and allow us to leave without a WA on 12/4. I don't see Leadsom forcing Parliament to sit after next Friday achieves anything.

I'm not even sure the WA will have changed significantly enough for Bercow to allow it but if he doesn't that can go under the "the dog ate my homework" set of excuses waiting to the peddled by the Conservatives on the morning of 13/4.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes. The power of self-government, the right to hire and fire our rulers and the capacity to chart our own destiny are inalienable birthrights. They should not be traded in for a mess of pottage otherwise known as a back row seat at a show called "The Heart of Europe". Our destiny is surely as a self-governing nation which trades freely with the world. The future is bright; the future is global. Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, our businesses and our workforce.

I seem to have forgotten to attribute this..

John Bercow MP, lecture to the Bruges Group
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:
    This is essentially what I have been saying for a while is a very feasible outcome.

Uncouple the WA from the PD.
    WA passed and we leave in Q2.
    Tories select new leader.
    GE to decide who runs with the Future Relationship.

Has a lot going for it.
    And where will TM get the additional votes when the DUP vote against and Labour don't come over for fear of a hard right Tory PM?

And the DUP would then VONC the government.

• Options
    I think we know why Jeremy Hunt is a 'born again Brexiteer' but it was clever of him to get his careerist pivot in early. And I think it might work for him. I can see the leadership evolving as a Hunt/Gove dream ticket versus a Raab/Truss dream ticket.

If so, it becomes a question of what Tory members do in reality dream about. Do they dream about Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove? Or are their reveries more likely to feature Dominic Raab and Liz Truss?

I am not a Tory member, far from it, and so it's hard for me to predict. Gun to head? No, even then, in fact that doesn't help at all.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

"Vote Leave campaign director Dominic Cummings has put out a call to arms for Leavers to mobilise for a new party."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/28/tories-have-lost-hope-seeing-brexit-new-political-party-can/

The SDP are the only party filling the gap for economically left/socially right voters, but do they have the pizazzz to woo voters?
  • Options

It gets more like the Life of Brian every day that passes. No doubt the ERG, or maybe the DUP are the Judean People's Front ! "Suicide squad......that showed em, eh?"
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    Our parliament isn't really fit for purpose.

First, we probably need more, not fewer, MPs. 1 person representing ~100,000 people's interests seems a bit much.

Second, we probably need more, not less, devolution. Give the other national govs more power, and give local councils more money and authority.

Third, we need more, not less, "prole" engagement with parties. People need to have a stake in politics. Civic engagement should be encouraged, not discouraged. All parties should give their members decent rights within the party structure, and each party should probably devolve more to local branches (except strategy, coz activists such at strategy).

Forth, we deffo need to change the voting system. Copy the Germans, or Canadians, or some federal, PR / AV system. It just makes so many people angry. I may hate UKIP, but they did get a large % of the vote with no representation. Also, a second fully elected house. Make it somewhat senatey?

Lastly, throw away parliamentary procedure and start again; a decent, understandable by the layman, written constitution. None of this "erskin may" business. If the man on the street can't figure out what's going on it makes it all seem like the elites are trying to pull a fast one no matter what (which of course, they are).

PS get rid of the constitutional role of the royals and the church and whatnot. Disestablishment would be great.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. grss, I disagree with every single point you make, excepting the general point three that more political engagement is a good thing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes. The power of self-government, the right to hire and fire our rulers and the capacity to chart our own destiny are inalienable birthrights. They should not be traded in for a mess of pottage otherwise known as a back row seat at a show called "The Heart of Europe". Our destiny is surely as a self-governing nation which trades freely with the world. The future is bright; the future is global. Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, our businesses and our workforce.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Good header. I tend to agree. Having a party leader who does not have the support of his or her MPs in Parliament is a nonsense in a Parliamentary democracy.

Everyone seems to be assuming that we will get a long extension if we ask for it and agree to participate in the EU elections. Is that assumption correct?

Does the EU want us to continue as a member? Tusk yes. But the others? I can see them saying Goodbye (and good riddance) if we fail to pass the WA by the due date or to revoke Article 50.

Interesting to see that the Revoke Art 50 option came 3rd in yesterday's votes.
  • Options
    148grss said:

First, we probably need more, not fewer, MPs. 1 person representing ~100,000 people's interests seems a bit much.

Second, we probably need more, not less, devolution. Give the other national govs more power, and give local councils more money and authority.

Third, we need more, not less, "prole" engagement with parties. People need to have a stake in politics. Civic engagement should be encouraged, not discouraged. All parties should give their members decent rights within the party structure, and each party should probably devolve more to local branches (except strategy, coz activists such at strategy).

Forth, we deffo need to change the voting system. Copy the Germans, or Canadians, or some federal, PR / AV system. It just makes so many people angry. I may hate UKIP, but they did get a large % of the vote with no representation. Also, a second fully elected house. Make it somewhat senatey?

Lastly, throw away parliamentary procedure and start again; a decent, understandable by the layman, written constitution. None of this "erskin may" business. If the man on the street can't figure out what's going on it makes it all seem like the elites are trying to pull a fast one no matter what (which of course, they are).

PS get rid of the constitutional role of the royals and the church and whatnot. Disestablishment would be great.

I agree with most of what you have said, but I regret that we are a minority. As a conservative party member I am probably in a minority of 1
  • Options

LOL!
  • Options
    stodge said:

The view I'm hearing from Europe is the EU aren't keen on us taking part in elections when we are leaving. I suppose the analogy would be if Scotland, having voted for independence in 2014, had been allowed to elect MPs to the Westminster parliament in 2015 while the mechanics of separation were being worked out.

However, they are stymied by the legality and the democracy which says if we are members we have to hold the elections.

Politicians might enjoy stumping the doorstep but I can't see the rest of us being very enthused. We would be compelled to spend public money on an election with no meaning and who would benefit. How would a Conservative fancy going out on the doorsteps especially if the local elections aren't good?

I suppose the EU could refuse and allow us to leave without a WA on 12/4. I don't see Leadsom forcing Parliament to sit after next Friday achieves anything.

I'm not even sure the WA will have changed significantly enough for Bercow to allow it but if he doesn't that can go under the "the dog ate my homework" set of excuses waiting to the peddled by the Conservatives on the morning of 13/4.
    That's it, isn't it? We're going out without a deal on April 12th, and the whole sorry charade until then is just about getting the excuses straight.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    kinabalu said:

I think we know why Jeremy Hunt is a 'born again Brexiteer' but it was clever of him to get his careerist pivot in early. And I think it might work for him. I can see the leadership evolving as a Hunt/Gove dream ticket versus a Raab/Truss dream ticket.

If so, it becomes a question of what Tory members do in reality dream about. Do they dream about Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove? Or are their reveries more likely to feature Dominic Raab and Liz Truss?

I am not a Tory member, far from it, and so it's hard for me to predict. Gun to head? No, even then, in fact that doesn't help at all.
    Yes, Hunt's reason for his conversion - I became disillusioned because the EU was being beastly to us - was fairly novel and would probably be believed by the people who he needed to believe it. I wonder how long it took him to think it up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Enjineeya, we may well end up leaving with no deal because nothing proactive has a majority.

At which point both sides will blame the other.

"If only they had compromised and agreed with us, everything would be far better!"
  • Options

It’s a mirage. The EU Withdrawal Act explicitly links ratification of the WA to the PD.

If the WA is passed - a big if - I am sure that a way will be found for us to leave on 22/5 because it will suit both sides and will be the clear logical outcome. The EU care only about the WA and the PD is 100% meaningless now that TM is going. The Future Relationship will depend on who is the PM and what is the composition of parliament after the subsequent GE that IMO is looming.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LOL!
    The credits of BBC This Week last Thursday was an old interview with Bercow on the banks of the Thames denouncing the EU and saying we would never be subservient to it.
  • Options
    Interesting chap with some shall we say interesting ideas...ISIS caliphate inspired by Israel.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2019/03/shamima-begum-s-lawyer-isis-copied-their-model-directly-israel
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    It seems to me that government is doing MV3 tomorrow just because they feel the need to do something. They know events are slipping from their grasp but think they ought to be in charge and are just doing the only thing that they can think of to appear in control, doomed to fail though it almost certainly is. We aren't far from sending orders to imaginary divisions territory now.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

LOL!
    The credits of BBC This Week last Thursday was an old interview with Bercow on the banks of the Thames denouncing the EU and saying we would never be subservient to it.
    Perhaps he's a deep leave sleeper !
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It seems to me that government is doing MV3 tomorrow just because they feel the need to do something. They know events are slipping from their grasp but think they ought to be in charge and are just doing the only thing that they can think of to appear in control, doomed to fail though it almost certainly is. We aren't far from sending orders to imaginary divisions territory now.

Has the business motion passed ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Why is anyone a member of a political party? What do they get for it? The parties have pretty much abandoned any pretense of allowing the membership to determine policy. Their job is to clap at truly boring conferences. Given this who the leader is and what direction they want to take the party in is even more important. If input in that decision was taken away from the Membership then participation in our political parties would fall from its current derisory levels with adverse consequences for our democracy.

And, frankly, the idea of leaving anything important to the bunch of incompetents who managed to vote down all 8 options yesterday is a bit of a joke. They are simply not capable of making decisions on anything bigger than their monthly expense claims.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I found this the most interesting part

"Also, don’t worry about the so-called ‘permanent’ commitments this historically abysmal Cabinet are trying to make on our behalf. They are not ‘permanent’ and a serious government — one not cowed by officials and their bullshit ‘legal advice’ with which they have herded ministers like sheep — will dispense with these commitments and any domestic law enforcing them."

• Options
    This man Dunt is apparently a Remainer hero. He appears to be going apoplectic here.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1111245762799812610
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    kinabalu said:

If the WA is passed - a big if - I am sure that a way will be found for us to leave on 22/5 because it will suit both sides and will be the clear logical outcome. The EU care only about the WA and the PD is 100% meaningless now that TM is going. The Future Relationship will depend on who is the PM and what is the composition of parliament after the subsequent GE that IMO is looming.
    The point is that there's no way to ratify the WA by stealth through parliament. May could conceivably try to game the process to create a harder cliff edge on May 22nd, but that would unravel quickly.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

LOL!
    He was right of course. Whatever is going on right now we are not subservient.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why is anyone a member of a political party? What do they get for it?

You get to do "delivery" :)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Cyclefree said:

Good header. I tend to agree. Having a party leader who does not have the support of his or her MPs in Parliament is a nonsense in a Parliamentary democracy.

Everyone seems to be assuming that we will get a long extension if we ask for it and agree to participate in the EU elections. Is that assumption correct?

Does the EU want us to continue as a member? Tusk yes. But the others? I can see them saying Goodbye (and good riddance) if we fail to pass the WA by the due date or to revoke Article 50.

Surely MPs don't have to acquiesce to the party leader? Why does the party leader need to be leader of the parliamentary party?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    isam said:

The SDP are the only party filling the gap for economically left/socially right voters, but do they have the pizazzz to woo voters?
    Well as someone who economically right/socially left I do hope not.
  • Options
    Christ

https://twitter.com/Mendelpol/status/1111253709911146498

This is like the leader of the New Zealand mosque who said the monstrous attack was staged by Mossad. They just can't help it. The Anti-Semitism is now in the DNA and might never be disentangled. It is tragic.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Good post. And a written constitution so that local government has enshrined rights and can't be reorganised or abolished or have its funding meddled with at the whim of central government.

The irony is that the voting system that has delivered Germany (formerly West Germany) such stability was designed for them by British civil servants. Who also delivered STV to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

kinabalu said:

Yes, Hunt's reason for his conversion - I became disillusioned because the EU was being beastly to us - was fairly novel and would probably be believed by the people who he needed to believe it. I wonder how long it took him to think it up.
    Surely Tory members have been had that many times in leadership elections that they won't fall for such duplicity again?

To be fair, they didn't actually get a chance to vote for Theresa May, so they may not have fallen for it in 2016, but they can see how it worked out.
  • Options
    Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    The last thing is we need more MPs...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

OT, this has been a hobby horse of mine for a while. The claim that Mr. Thicky has a mandate because he managed to convince the Labour membership is a classic example of people claiming something is "democratic", when the real mandate is with MPs who have had "real" people vote for them has much greater democratic legitimacy. The question is, Mike, as to whether MPs have the balls to stand up to their respective swivel-eyed activists? Probably not, sadly!

I know (or rather believe) that asking the members is a fairly recent thing in the Tory party but any idea when it came in for Labour? Or has it always been the case? Do the Unions still have any role?

I agree with you by the way. The leader of the party must rise and fall on the confidence of the MPs or the whole thing becomes completely unmanageable.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Christ

This is like the leader of the New Zealand mosque who said the monstrous attack was staged by Mossad. They just can't help it. The Anti-Semitism is now in the DNA and might never be disentangled. It is tragic.

Vanilla message for you.
  • Options
    Norm said:

This man Dunt is apparently a Remainer hero. He appears to be going apoplectic here.

"Going" apoplectic? He's been in a state of crazed and drooling fury since the vote. What makes it even more delicious is that he used to be a raging eurosceptic. True story.
  • Options
    isam said:

They don't even have a pineapple.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Surely Tory members have been had that many times in leadership elections that they won't fall for such duplicity again?

To be fair, they didn't actually get a chance to vote for Theresa May, so they may not have fallen for it in 2016, but they can see how it worked out.
    In fairness Tory members haven't been able to vote for any leader since 2005 so Mike's being a bit harsh on the footsloggers. The blame lies elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Christ

Is there anything the Jews aren't repsonsible for or involved in? Must be Very busy people.

In all seriousness, I might be wrong, but I don't think this is the first time his lawyer has been on record saying some interesting things.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

LOL!
    He was right of course. Whatever is going on right now we are not subservient.
    Actually my mistake he didnt say that at all!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0003h1c/this-week-21032019

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    From Gary Larson via Reddit:

• Options

SeanT said:

Christ

Is there anything the Jews aren't repsonsible for or involved in? Must be Very busy people.

In all seriousness, I might be wrong, but I don't think this is the first time his lawyer has been on record saying some interesting things.
    "his" lawyer, has Begum started a transition; or are you thinking of another case Akunjee is involved with ;) ?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    Cyclefree said:

Absolutely the EU want us to continue as a member in some form. The apparent debate between Tusk and Juncker is whether the EU have lined themselves up in the WA to screw us so successfully in the next 21 months that they should leave us to end up in that impotent vassal state status as opposed to allowing us to continue as a fully fledged member by eventually revoking.

What the EU do not want is for us to leave unconditionally, initially on WTO terms and to sort out the new relationship subsequently from a much stronger negotiating position (and with a stronger PM to negotiate it).
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Andrew said:

By tomorrow evening?

Nah, the European Council deadline tomorrow only says we need to pass the WA. Our domestic legislation demands the PD also, we have another 2 weeks for that :-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why is anyone a member of a political party? What do they get for it? The parties have pretty much abandoned any pretense of allowing the membership to determine policy. Their job is to clap at truly boring conferences. Given this who the leader is and what direction they want to take the party in is even more important. If input in that decision was taken away from the Membership then participation in our political parties would fall from its current derisory levels with adverse consequences for our democracy.

And, frankly, the idea of leaving anything important to the bunch of incompetents who managed to vote down all 8 options yesterday is a bit of a joke. They are simply not capable of making decisions on anything bigger than their monthly expense claims.

One of the problems of political discourse was that open disagreement came to be viewed not as a strength but as a weakness. I was at Eastbourne in 1986 when the Liberal Party discussed the defence plan. We had heard from David Owen the day before but on the Tuesday afternoon I was witness to a full-blown political argument. There were tremendous speeches on both sides In the end, the Steel leadership lost as the anti-nuclear amendment carried but the political damage was that but it allowed the Conservative and Labour parties to create the notion the parties weren't united and therefore unsuitable to govern.

In the 1990s a divided Conservative Party and Government were systematically destroyed first at local and then at national level by a seemingly united Labour Party under Blair. Labour wasn't united at all but the Left were able to keep quiet and preserve the illusion of unity allowing Blair to sweep the 1997 GE.

If you want to look strong and united as a Party, the one thing you can't have is disagreement and division so Conferences are now rallies. The Conference managers ensure anything even remotely divisive isn't debated or pushed to the fringe. I agree that's bad but you would need a change in political culture to ensure competing and adversarial parties don't try to maximise their strengths and their opponent's weakness.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

From Gary Larson via Reddit:

Careful! Larson's people are very swift to come down on those who post his work on the net......
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Times's Coates reporting that another option the government is considering is a symbolic non-binding (indicative?!) vote on the MV3 tomorrow, to make it different from actually deciding to agree it.

Is a symbolic loss any better than a real one? And surely even less reason for people to back it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Norm said:

"Going" apoplectic? He's been in a state of crazed and drooling fury since the vote. What makes it even more delicious is that he used to be a raging eurosceptic. True story.
    "Truly terrible to try and separate withdrawal agreement from political declaration" is not my definition of going apoplectic.

He doesn't think it's a good idea, clearly, but where are the mentions of 'traitors', 'lynchings', 'slave state', 'end of the world' etc. etc?
  • Options
    I take a different view from the header.

I think the issue is the MPs in safe seats who hang around for decades getting more and more self-important and less and less in touch. My solution would be to bring in term limits. If you reach 25 years as an MP you are not allowed to stand for re-election.
  • Options

Well as someone who economically right/socially left I do hope not.

:-)

Well I'm economically and socially left.

Also spiritually, sexually and psychiatrically.

Keep it simple.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    From the graurdian..

It was agreed among the member states that for there to be any talks after the UK has crashed out, the bloc’s 27 capitals will expect Downing Street to agree to signal by 18 April that it will pay the £39bn Brexit bill despite the failure of the Commons to ratify the withdrawal agreement.

The terms of the Irish backstop, keeping Northern Ireland in large parts of single market legislation and the EU’s customs territory, in order to protect the Good Friday agreement would remain as the bloc’s solution for avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/28/eu-discusses-terms-for-talks-after-no-deal-brexit
  • Options
    Clearly, separating the WA from the PD is not enough. May has to make Labour a GE offer they can trust.

No idea how she can do that under FTPA.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

Norm said:

Heaven protect us from these nutjobs who swing from one extreme to the other at the drop of a hat firing off emotional and sweary tirades.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    My most intimidating sporting experience was undoubtedly a Rangers/Celtic football match back in the days when Rangers had a team at Ibrox. They came out to Tina Turner singing "Simply the best" and I swear you could feel the concrete bounce with each beat. It was a visceral atmosphere which I vividly remember even though the game itself has faded. Awesome to see, if a little frightening.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Times's Coates reporting that another option the government is considering is a symbolic non-binding (indicative?!) vote on the MV3 tomorrow, to make it different from actually deciding to agree it.

Is a symbolic loss any better than a real one? And surely even less reason for people to back it.

Sunil's Meaningless Vote !?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why is anyone a member of a political party? What do they get for it? The parties have pretty much abandoned any pretense of allowing the membership to determine policy.

It's worse than that. The parties have pretty much abandoned any pretense of allowing the voters at large to determine policy.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Do you have to dissolve parliament the moment an election is called? Could you not schedule an election for, say, June and say that parliament will be disolved in two weeks, etc
  • Options

SeanT said:

Norm said:

Heaven protect us from these nutjobs who swing from one extreme to the other at the drop of a hat firing off emotional and sweary tirades.

:lol: Very good!
  • Options

From the graurdian..

It was agreed among the member states that for there to be any talks after the UK has crashed out, the bloc’s 27 capitals will expect Downing Street to agree to signal by 18 April that it will pay the £39bn Brexit bill despite the failure of the Commons to ratify the withdrawal agreement.

The terms of the Irish backstop, keeping Northern Ireland in large parts of single market legislation and the EU’s customs territory, in order to protect the Good Friday agreement would remain as the bloc’s solution for avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/28/eu-discusses-terms-for-talks-after-no-deal-brexit

Sounds like they're preparing to boot us out !
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Always sovereign.
    Yes, Britain was always sovereign, the way a prisoner in a jail is always free as the window of his locked cell is wide, open and unbarred - trouble is he's on the 9th floor, so if he jumps to his "freedom"...
    A touch dramatic. But we also were the ones who pressed the 9th floor button in the lift when we got in.
    so you're not denying we are in prison?
This discussion has been closed.