Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s time we moved back to MPs choosing the party leader inste

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218

What’s the point of Tory Party membership if members have no membership benefits and are ignored on policy. The right to vote on the party leader is the only one membership benefit left. MPs saddled us with May, members voted for Cameron.

If you are an anti-business, socially conservative, xenophobic, English nationalist the Conservative party is a good place to meet like-minded people.

Do we have to guess your righteous vantage point on the moral high ground?
    There was a time when one wouldn't have to be on particularly high moral ground not to be an anti-business, socially conservative, xenophobic, English nationalist.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Speaker confirming tomorrow gvt motion is in order.
  • Options
    WA separated from PD
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445

What’s the point of Tory Party membership if members have no membership benefits and are ignored on policy. The right to vote on the party leader is the only one membership benefit left. MPs saddled us with May, members voted for Cameron.

And members chose IDS over Ken
    Only because of Europe. If Tory MPs didn’t hold their membership in complete contempt, Clarke would have won easily in my view.
    Imagine having your own views and because others disagree, they think you hold them in contempt!
    You are obviously happy to vote for those who don’t care what you think or don’t care what they put in a manifesto. That’s ok if you want others to tell you what to think I suppose.
    Well, they don't tell you what to think, but the point of our representative "democracy" is that you can't tell them how to think, because you delegate that to them to do on your behalf. That is how it used to work. Now, it seems, complicated issues are put to the electorate as referenda with very simplistic binary questions asked of them, where there clearly isn't a simplistic binary answer. Result: chaos !
    Chaos happens when you ignore the manifesto on which you are elected. Representative democracy used to mean, for Tories anyway, that voters knew the principles which bound the party together. That no longer seems to apply.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

I don't think the Tories would come well out of a "who governs?" GE. Particularly as the real question is about the internal politics of the Tory party, which our voting system doesn't allow voters to resolve.

What about "who do you really, really not want to govern us"
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Nonsense. The Tories could not go into an election under a leader who has already announced her imminent departure. And what policy on Brexit could they unite behind?
    Indeed - and the same question with Labour. This is the problem. We have no functioning government. We have a pressing deadline and the need for an excuse to delay. And the dread fear that they can't keep kicking things down the road any further...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

The abolition of the right to unimpeded self-pleasuring must abate:
    https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1111303997061775361

Phew
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

TOPPING said:

I hardly dare open my Conservative Party March Members' Newsletter.

Nor me. Indeed I have stopped looking at all the e mails from the party at present

Resign.. its the simplest way. I did, they never contact me these days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,947

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Scott_P said:
    I admire their optimism that they think they could get it through Parliament.
    Saying there'll be a General Election if it fails sounds almost like they're helping the Labour whips to vote it down.
    Labout MPs though would face a conundrum - vote against a GE they've spent 2 years calling for?
    They could vote against the deal. And then, since it would inevitably lead to no-deal Brexit, they could vote against a general election on the basis that now really was not the time (and let us take over the reins).

Do you think a vote against the WA means a no deal now ?
    No. I have reasonable hopes for the Letwin procedure.
    Ken Clarke's Customs Union is the only possible outcome that I think can get over the line. I totted up the Beckett amendment limit and ran into pretty much a hard stop of 304 for it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:

Nonsense. The Tories could not go into an election under a leader who has already announced her imminent departure. And what policy on Brexit could they unite behind?

The list of things this government could not do, and then did, is growing by the day...
    True. And I think we will shortly add a long Brexit extension and UK participation in the EU elections to the list.
  • Options
    Andrea Leadsom has improved greatly. Better than Boris for PM
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,578

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Scott_P said:
    Saying there'll be a General Election if it fails sounds almost like they're helping the Labour whips to vote it down.
    Labout MPs though would face a conundrum - vote against a GE they've spent 2 years calling for?
    They could vote against the deal. And then, since it would inevitably lead to no-deal Brexit, they could vote against a general election on the basis that now really was not the time (and let us take over the reins).

Agree, but it does need a certain amount of optimism. Parliament has over time got out of the way of understanding that it, and it alone, is the supreme authority in the UK. It has spent so long delegating its authority to government on the one hand, EU on the other and compounded it by handing out the trickiest question to a referendum that it is not only the public but also MPs who seem to have forgotten their position. If Oliver Letwin succeeds in his attempt he will be a parliamentary hero.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Scott_P said:
    Indeed - and the same question with Labour. This is the problem. We have no functioning government. We have a pressing deadline and the need for an excuse to delay. And the dread fear that they can't keep kicking things down the road any further...
    So, ask the people.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Do members not get the right to take part in the selection of local MP candidates?
    They do indeed, well, to some extent, and all sorts of highly exciting policy discussions/rows. As Mr Observer commented it is a great place to meet likeminded geeks and weirdos. To be fair I met one or two nice people as well in my time. Most of them make Mark Francois look like a well balanced even minded individual.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

If you are an anti-business, socially conservative, xenophobic, English nationalist the Conservative party is a good place to meet like-minded people.

There was a time when one wouldn't have to be on particularly high moral ground not to be an anti-business, socially conservative, xenophobic, English nationalist.
    Are the first two immoral?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728
    edited March 2019
    So, WA-only vote tomorrow then.
  • Options

Who isn't ?
  • Options

It's not a matter of morality, just a matter of fact.

What sort of people does one meet in the modern Labour Party though? I bet the SNP must be a bit of an eye opener too!
  • Options

What rot. It’s the Labour Party which is anti business with economically insane policies, and which is xenophobic towards Jews.
  • Options
    Yay! The government has succeeded in organising yet another vote on their agreement -but not all of it! Oh no, just the bits that everyone really hates!

You have to admit, as a strategy its bazin
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,102
    Pulpstar said:

Who isn't ?
    Don't you have money on Steve Baker?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Tomorrow's motion

- Notes the extension (again!) and the new timetable
    - Notes the PD can be negotiated later
    - Notes the Letwin process
    - Declares it wishes to leave the EU with a deal
    - Approves the WA for exit 22 May
    - some legal qualifications at the end that I would need to see in writing

Edit/ questioning seems to be suggesting that the agreement to the WA would be "in principle" with the WA not actually formally secured until the Bill is approved. In other words it's a Meaningless not a Meaningful Vote, but one that is apparently enough for the EU for the time being.
  • Options

Yay! The government has succeeded in organising yet another vote on their agreement -but not all of it! Oh no, just the bits that everyone really hates!

It is the mechanism to exit. But does seem strange
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297

Clearly, separating the WA from the PD is not enough. May has to make Labour a GE offer they can trust.

No idea how she can do that under FTPA.

Me neither, but thinking about it -

If Brexit is delayed with a long extension, for re-negotiation and possibly REF2, that requires a PM and a govt with the authority to pilot it all through. Not possible with this Parliament, therefore a GE.

Alternatively, if the WA is passed and we leave on 22/5, that requires a PM and a govt with the authority to negotiate the Future Relationship. Not possible with this Parliament, therefore a GE.

Either way, a GE in 2019. Amazed that it is not yet an odds-on shot. Fill your boots.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Only way Bercow would let it be debated.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Do members not get the right to take part in the selection of local MP candidates?
    Usually - although only from an approved list. Not always though - as candidate selection in the last election was imposed on some constituencies against local association wishes. Wollaston was selected as a Tory candidate in an open primary.
  • Options

Your inability to separate fact from opinion speaks volumes for the worth of your opinion
  • Options

Only because of Europe. If Tory MPs didn’t hold their membership in complete contempt, Clarke would have won easily in my view.
    Imagine having your own views and because others disagree, they think you hold them in contempt!
    You are obviously happy to vote for those who don’t care what you think or don’t care what they put in a manifesto. That’s ok if you want others to tell you what to think I suppose.
    Well, they don't tell you what to think, but the point of our representative "democracy" is that you can't tell them how to think, because you delegate that to them to do on your behalf. That is how it used to work. Now, it seems, complicated issues are put to the electorate as referenda with very simplistic binary questions asked of them, where there clearly isn't a simplistic binary answer. Result: chaos !
    Chaos happens when you ignore the manifesto on which you are elected. Representative democracy used to mean, for Tories anyway, that voters knew the principles which bound the party together. That no longer seems to apply.
    That is because the party got taken over by headbangers who put their obsession with Europe above being seen as a sensible party of stable government, and they were encouraged by the hapless Theresa May
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2019
    Look! A squirrel, being eaten by a drowning polar bear!

In other news, has anyone figured out yet if tomorrow's vote on the WA alone qualifies as "meaningful"?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The government appears to be trying to engineer a fair accompli where we become tied to the 22 May leaving date before we formally approve the WA. It's an empty motion tomorrow solely aimed at securing the later exit date.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Scott_P said:

Ken Clarke's Customs Union is the only possible outcome that I think can get over the line. I totted up the Beckett amendment limit and ran into pretty much a hard stop of 304 for it.
    The Customs Union proposal being, of course, pertinent to the future relationship with the EU but not to the process of withdrawal itself.

We are still in the same situation as before. Parliament won't back the Withdrawal Agreement, it won't revoke and it won't vote for a Deal/Remain plebiscite, either.

Absent any positive solution to this conundrum, No Deal happens on April 12th. That is still where we are headed right now.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    isam said:

The poster I replied to seems to think so.
  • Options

That is because the party got taken over by headbangers who put their obsession with Europe above being seen as a sensible party of stable government, and they were encouraged by the hapless Theresa May
    Drivel.
  • Options

I think you've disappeared up your own backside
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Given that Labour has already said it has no problem with the WA, they won't have any reason to vote against it now it's been decoupled.

Oh, they came up with another excuse to vote with the ERG nutters? Shocker.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The government appears to be trying to engineer a fair accompli where we become tied to the 22 May leaving date before we formally approve the WA

Or the opposite. If they know this motion will fail, they are trying to engineer a situation where they have clean hands while requesting a longer extension.
  • Options

What rot. It’s the Labour Party which is anti business with economically insane policies, and which is xenophobic towards Jews.
    Absolutely. That bit where Corbyn stood up, said Fuck Business and then pursued a policy that was derided noisily by the CBI, BCCs and IOD. Proves how anti-business he is.
  • Options

Labour's front bench has said they have no issue with the WA.

Are they lieing for political gain ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

What sort of people does one meet in the modern Labour Party though? I bet the SNP must be a bit of an eye opener too!

You meet a lot of late middle aged people who carry stuff around in old plastic bags, wear corduroy caps and get very angry about "Zionists".
  • Options

Drivel.
    I am skewered by your erudite decimation of my argument. I salute your capability, that is in the best traditions of great thinkers such as Ian Duncan Smith
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760
    The government really, really doesn't want to talk about customs unions. It will risk ultimate No Deal chaos to avoid doing so.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    ERG pushing to see the draft Bill. Bercow mischievoulsly confirming it is already written but saying it's up to the government whether MPs get to see it. Edit/ and now saying it would be good practice to publish it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Um it was Cameron who gave us the referendum. Isn't doing what the people voted for supposed to be the basis of democracy? With the exception of the SNP and a few other worthy individuals the MPs can't even claim they were honest and said they would oppose Brexit when they got elected in 2017. The vast majority of them all emphasised their support for leaving in their personal election campaigns.

And people wonder why they are considered untrustworthy garbage who are unfit to hold any elected office.
  • Options

Drivel.
    I am skewered by your erudite decimation of my argument. I salute your capability, that is in the best traditions of great thinkers such as Ian Duncan Smith
    It was as accurate description of your last comment - and the only answer it deserved.
  • Options

You meet a lot of late middle aged people who carry stuff around in old plastic bags, wear corduroy caps and get very angry about "Zionists".
    ... and in the TIG/Centrists? Dont tell me... open minded, reasonable, self aware, snappy dressers?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Speaker confirms tomorrow's vote is an "in principle" one only.

So the government is heading for losing two meaningful votes and one meaningless one.

Opposition aren't happy. Don't believe it meets legal requirements for an MV
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Bercow allows tomorrows motion

What about his precious precedents? :smiley:
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    By-elections today in two very different places. LD defence in Sutton should be straightforward. In Clackmannan the SNP will probably lose a seat to Lab due to the voting system.
  • Options

Haha. They ought to do a reality TV shows where you mix the apparently opposite political loon/activist and then get them exchange clothes and see if the Great British Public can tell them apart
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour's front bench has said they have no issue with the WA.

Are they lieing for political gain ?
    Corbyn? Do you have to ask?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FF43 said:

The government really, really doesn't want to talk about customs unions. It will risk ultimate No Deal chaos to avoid doing so.

It's not yet properly appreciated how a Customs Union Brexit or tying the deal to a new referendum puts the government on the rack. It is fiercely opposed to both but if Parliament (through the Letwin procedure) settles upon it, the government will be in contempt of Parliament if it fails to implement it.

Right now it is like Gromit frantically laying down train tracks in front of the train in order to make sure the whole government isn't derailed.
  • Options

Absolutely. That bit where Corbyn stood up, said Fuck Business and then pursued a policy that was derided noisily by the CBI, BCCs and IOD. Proves how anti-business he is.

Its why most businesses seem to regard a Corbyn Gov as a bigger threat to their business than Brexit
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Scott_P said:

The Customs Union proposal being, of course, pertinent to the future relationship with the EU but not to the process of withdrawal itself.

We are still in the same situation as before. Parliament won't back the Withdrawal Agreement, it won't revoke and it won't vote for a Deal/Remain plebiscite, either.

Absent any positive solution to this conundrum, No Deal happens on April 12th. That is still where we are headed right now.
    All depends what side Macron gets out of bed !
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

Why not abolish general elections altogether? Instead, elect all members for a maximum term length of of five years. Calling an election in said constituency early is entirely up to him/her. But it has to happen after five years. Benefits are more independent thinking mps, less dependent on whim or popularity of their leaders. I suspect there are disadvantages, though.

That's quite interesting. So at the implementation, all 650 MPs are up, but after five years, likely as not only 635 (or so) are up, as the remaining 15 resigned/died in the period and forced by-elections. Rinse and repeat and eventually all MPs would be out of step, and Parliament a moving feast. Governments would change on a by-election rather than all at once.

Not sure if it would work though. Governments tend to lose support over time (at least in the UK). A government starting out a 330MPs clearly has a majority. Once it slipped to 324 are they still the government? Presumably so if the remaining 326 are all split from other parties. So they either become a minority or need to seek a deal. Or the other main party needs to start talking to all the other parties.

At some point a critical event would happen, perhaps a by-election or the second party concludes a deal with the third and they become the government. Does their support then erode perhaps?

I suspect you'd end up with governments formed of minorities/coalitions all the time, and no party ever having more than about 330 seats. Not sure that's a good idea now I think about it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Labour's solution being to create a Venezuelan-style economy, in which all those nasty greenhouse gas emissions are ended through the total destruction of industry, the cessation of electricity generation and of the use of powered transport, mass depopulation through the emigration of refugee boat people to the Continent, and the slow, agonising death by starvation of most of those who can't make the journey.

At the end of this process, the few miserable survivors will have regressed to living in Iron Age roundhouses.

The Green Party will pop up at the end of this process and remind us that reform still hasn't gone far enough, because we need to abandon agriculture and allow the wildwood to grow back again in order to be truly environmentally friendly.
  • Options

isam said:

The poster I replied to seems to think so.
    chips?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Jeez, Evan - umm - ah - giggle - umm Davis.
    I want to hear the news but the presenter is a serious barrier.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

So the government is heading for losing two meaningful votes and one meaningless one.

I don’t think so, but if it’s voted for this time there will be tremendous pressure to ensure it is confirmed in a second vote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The government appears to be trying to engineer a fair accompli where we become tied to the 22 May leaving date before we formally approve the WA

Or the opposite. If they know this motion will fail, they are trying to engineer a situation where they have clean hands while requesting a longer extension.
    It seems Machiavelli is alive and well on PB
  • Options

Its why most businesses seem to regard a Corbyn Gov as a bigger threat to their business than Brexit
    Indeed. Its all they are talking about!
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I don’t think so, but if it’s voted for this time there will be tremendous pressure to ensure it is confirmed in a second vote.
    The government is trying to use the 22 May as further leverage to get its vote through.

And as William says, conversely if they lose tomorrow it's 12 April, extension or revocation.
  • Options
    I do not get this at all. The WA contains the backstop and it is the backstop that the ERG and DUP hate. Why would taking the PD out change anything?
  • Options
    Corbyn's at a fundamental advantage over May in all this Brexit stuff because he doesn't really give a hoot about the outcome so long as it stuffs the Tories.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760
    rcs1000 said:

From the graurdian..

It was agreed among the member states that for there to be any talks after the UK has crashed out, the bloc’s 27 capitals will expect Downing Street to agree to signal by 18 April that it will pay the £39bn Brexit bill despite the failure of the Commons to ratify the withdrawal agreement.

The terms of the Irish backstop, keeping Northern Ireland in large parts of single market legislation and the EU’s customs territory, in order to protect the Good Friday agreement would remain as the bloc’s solution for avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/28/eu-discusses-terms-for-talks-after-no-deal-brexit

Given c £15-18bn was explicitly for the "implementation" period, I think they might be doing some whistling...
    The EU would argue it's the other way round. The money is committed so the UK can get the benefit. Doesn't matter diddly squat. We're going to be _desperate_ to get a deal after a few days of No Deal. Money no object. The EU could double its demand.
  • Options

Haha. They ought to do a reality TV shows where you mix the apparently opposite political loon/activist and then get them exchange clothes and see if the Great British Public can tell them apart

Ha, ha, ha. I like it!

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Had a Brexit-free afternoon in the sunshine (highly recommend it :D )

What's the latest in Gotham City?
  • Options

I wasn't aware that Corbyn is also a fashion guru in Labour cicles
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

I do not get this at all. The WA contains the backstop and it is the backstop that the ERG and DUP hate. Why would taking the PD out change anything?

Is it not just so Bercow allows it to be debated?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

The government has the twin problems of meeting Bercow's ruling and agreeing something tomorrow that hangs onto the 22 May extension. This is their answer - a hollow "in principle" motion on the WA only, tomorrow, with the WA and PD formally agreed as part of the passage of the Bill. Neither of these are the "same proposition" coming back to the house after being defeated.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Um it was Cameron who gave us the referendum. Isn't doing what the people voted for supposed to be the basis of democracy? With the exception of the SNP and a few other worthy individuals the MPs can't even claim they were honest and said they would oppose Brexit when they got elected in 2017. The vast majority of them all emphasised their support for leaving in their personal election campaigns.

And people wonder why they are considered untrustworthy garbage who are unfit to hold any elected office.
    I couldn't help thinking of that when last night I saw footage of Justine Greening nodding along right next to Theresa May while she promised to deliver Brexit at her inaugral speech to journalists following her election as leader. The Greening who in real time yesterday evening voted to revoke A50.
  • Options

Because most of the indicative votes are on the future relationship, and most require the WA.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Backstop means backstop.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh dear the governments latest ruse is beginning to unravel quickly . The suggestion that they could go straight to the WAIB before the political declaration has been passed .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    My Conservative council did the same thing
  • Options
    Well I am sure you have seen my views on whether we actually have democracy Richard. We have a system that is working in some regards and not in others. It is also possible to argue that they are not necessarily opposing Brexit, it is just pretty undeliverable due to Mrs May's incompetence. Surely it is a good thing for an MP to vote with their conscience? If I were an MP and there was a marginal referendum in favour of torture or capital punishment, I would still vote against it, whips or no whips.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Because most of the indicative votes are on the future relationship, and most require the WA.
    I think it's Bercow's ruling that is driving this, not the indicative votes
  • Options
    Norm said:

I couldn't help thinking of that when last night I saw footage of Justine Greening nodding along right next to Theresa May while she promised to deliver Brexit at her inaugral speech to journalists following her election as leader. The Greening who in real time yesterday evening voted to revoke A50.

There was no vote on revoking A50 last night. The amendment was to set revocation as the default instead of no deal.
  • Options

Is it not just so Bercow allows it to be debated?
    It is.

Her only aim is to get Meaningful Vote 3: Mission To Brussels back for another go.

Still not likely to get over the line, though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    isam said:
    Well if that's the case what the hell has all the fuss been about with the Irish Border?
  • Options

Drivel.
    It was as accurate description of your last comment - and the only answer it deserved.
    Overwhelming. You are Ian Duncan Smith and I claim my £5
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The government is trying to use the 22 May as further leverage to get its vote through.

And as William says, conversely if they lose tomorrow it's 12 April, extension or revocation.
    Which is actually perfect as all most people want the Government / Parliament to do is to make a decision....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Labour's solution being to create a Venezuelan-style economy, in which all those nasty greenhouse gas emissions are ended through the total destruction of industry, the cessation of electricity generation and of the use of powered transport, mass depopulation through the emigration of refugee boat people to the Continent, and the slow, agonising death by starvation of most of those who can't make the journey.

At the end of this process, the few miserable survivors will have regressed to living in Iron Age roundhouses.

The Green Party will pop up at the end of this process and remind us that reform still hasn't gone far enough, because we need to abandon agriculture and allow the wildwood to grow back again in order to be truly environmentally friendly.

What is the capitalist pro-free market response to climate and environmental change? Apart from the cheap "Venezuela" jibes, has anyone got anything to offer?

Is it a Trumpian denial that anything is happening? Perhaps 70F in February isn't so bad after all but it's far more than climate change. Look at air quality and air pollution in our towns and cities. Do we want to breathe bad air - do we want our children to breathe bad air?

It's all very well sniping about the Greens and Labour but the centre and centre-right have abdicated the field to the authoritarian Left who make headway simply because they are offering some solutions. All the Right seems to be about is climate change denial and pro-nuclear power and that won't wash anymore.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    I don't think there's a major problem with members being involved in the process, but the parties have clearly set things up to screen the candidates through the MPs, via different methods, to set the parameters for the members, which seems perfectly sensible. I'm not convinced it really was an issue for Ed M, because he still had plenty of backing among MPs.

Inasmuch as members being involved is a problem it is in MPs then not really holding up their end by screening out those they do not wish to serve under any circumstances.

Though it is surprising how members for decades who presumably remember that they did not always have involvement get so angry at the prospect of changing leader even in an emergency without their say so. The expectations have changed quite a bit.
  • Options

Drivel.
    Overwhelming. You are Ian Duncan Smith and I claim my £5
    Keep taking the tablets.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn's at a fundamental advantage over May in all this Brexit stuff because he doesn't really give a hoot about the outcome so long as it stuffs the Tories.

That is his main objective. I suspect he still hasn't read the WA.
  • Options
    Lots of legal challenges. Speaker saying whether it legal or not is not his concern; his job is to make sure it is procedurally correct.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

My Conservative council did the same thing
    Didn't Islington at one time declare itself a nuclear free zone?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    stodge said:

What is the capitalist pro-free market response to climate and environmental change? Apart from the cheap "Venezuela" jibes, has anyone got anything to offer?.

Yes, of course. In the UK, the switch-over to renewable energy - especially, offshore wind - since 2010 has been stunningly fast. I don't think anyone was expecting anything even remotely so rapid and cost-effective as the private sector has been able to deliver over that period (with a bit of good government nudging).

Solar is less relevant to the UK, but the same story applies in that sector - a stunning reduction in costs over the last few years.
  • Options

Why not abolish general elections altogether? Instead, elect all members for a maximum term length of of five years. Calling an election in said constituency early is entirely up to him/her. But it has to happen after five years. Benefits are more independent thinking mps, less dependent on whim or popularity of their leaders. I suspect there are

Why not abolish general elections altogether? Instead, elect all members for a maximum term length of of five years. Calling an election in said constituency early is entirely up to him/her. But it has to happen after five years. Benefits are more independent thinking mps, less dependent on whim or popularity of their leaders. I suspect there are disadvantages, though.

That's quite interesting. So at the implementation, all 650 MPs are up, but after five years, likely as not only 635 (or so) are up, as the remaining 15 resigned/died in the period and forced by-elections. Rinse and repeat and eventually all MPs would be out of step, and Parliament a moving feast. Governments would change on a by-election rather than all at once.

Not sure if it would work though. Governments tend to lose support over time (at least in the UK). A government starting out a 330MPs clearly has a majority. Once it slipped to 324 are they still the government? Presumably so if the remaining 326 are all split from other parties. So they either become a minority or need to seek a deal. Or the other main party needs to start talking to all the other parties.

At some point a critical event would happen, perhaps a by-election or the second party concludes a deal with the third and they become the government. Does their support then erode perhaps?

I suspect you'd end up with governments formed of minorities/coalitions all the time, and no party ever having more than about 330 seats. Not sure that's a good idea now I think about it.
    That all struck me too! But you mght also get group resignations as well. Thus the Prime Minister has to resign after five years, and lots of other mps in the same party also resigning.
  • Options
    Benn asking whether passing the motion would prevent a further extension. Government says it will deal with this tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

stodge said:

What is the capitalist pro-free market response to climate and environmental change? Apart from the cheap "Venezuela" jibes, has anyone got anything to offer?.

Yes, of course. In the UK, the switch-over to renewable energy - especially, offshore wind - since 2010 has been stunningly fast. I don't think anyone was expecting anything even remotely so rapid and cost-effective as the private sector has been able to deliver over that period (with a bit of good government nudging).

Solar is less relevant to the UK, but the same story applies in that sector - a stunning reduction in costs over the last few years.
    This was debated on This Week last Thursday... Johnson & Portillpo made the same point to this fellow, who went off on one on twitter at them the next day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v70irTWTmM
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

ERG pushing to see the draft Bill. Bercow mischievoulsly confirming it is already written but saying it's up to the government whether MPs get to see it. Edit/ and now saying it would be good practice to publish it.

absolutely inappropriate once again. He is a snide little shit isn't he.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Elsewhere in 2019, Corbynites are now boycotting Countdown.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    notme2 said:

rcs1000 said:

From the graurdian..

It was agreed among the member states that for there to be any talks after the UK has crashed out, the bloc’s 27 capitals will expect Downing Street to agree to signal by 18 April that it will pay the £39bn Brexit bill despite the failure of the Commons to ratify the withdrawal agreement.

The terms of the Irish backstop, keeping Northern Ireland in large parts of single market legislation and the EU’s customs territory, in order to protect the Good Friday agreement would remain as the bloc’s solution for avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/28/eu-discusses-terms-for-talks-after-no-deal-brexit

Given c £15-18bn was explicitly for the "implementation" period, I think they might be doing some whistling...
    it always was a 'shakedown', and the more we tried to challenge it the more we got told 'tick tock'...
    That's not true.

The EU (like pretty much every pseudo-governmental entity in the world) has net liabilities - whether explicit debts, rental obligations, or pensions.

It is not unreasonable for the UK to take on our share of the net liabilities accumulated during our membership period.

The total of these is somewhere in the £12-18bn range depending on discount rates, and how certain contingent liabilities are treated.
  • Options

Because Labour have said previously that they don't mind the WA, just the PD.

Did they mean that, or did they not?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297

Yes.

Stripped of the meaningless PD, this vote pitches the pure question "Do you insist on blocking Brexit?" If the answer is 'Yes', the Labour opposition are exposed, since their Brexit policy requires the WA.

And if by some chance it passes, well bingo.

It's a good and rational move. Rather late though. They should have done this for MV2.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

In theory because Labour and the other EU-headbangers are worried about matters in the PD (eg CU) not the WA.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

absolutely inappropriate once again. He is a snide little shit isn't he.
    Which one of the ERG are you referring to?
This discussion has been closed.