Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit. Are we nearly there yet? I want a wee wee.

It's your fault sunshine. Hold it 'til we get there.
    TOPPING said:

Brexit. Are we nearly there yet? I want a wee wee.

It's your fault sunshine. Hold it 'til we get there.
    Indeed. Most of us never asked to come on this trip at all.
    Um... actually most of us did ask to come on the trip. Well, most of those who could/did express an opinion.
    People got on the plane hoping to go to Dusseldorf only to find out they landed in Edinburgh and you are making them take their holiday there instead.
    There is way too much hyperbole about unintended destinations and chaotic consequences.

I think the PM's deal and red lines were exactly what I was expecting when I voted. We were told clearly and repeatedly by both sides during the campaign that:

a) This was a once in a generation decision that would be implemented (ie no best of three votes).
    b) A vote to Leave meant leaving:

The political institutions
    The Single Market
    The Customs Union

The current chaos has nothing to do with the proposed Brexit not being what people voted for.

The current procedural chaos is due to:

a) people choosing willfully to forget how clear the Leave prospectus was in terms of what we would leave and seeking to engineer a completely different outcome.

b) The mistake of including the backstop - although another fallback in the event of no FTA that keeps open borders but with WTO rules is hard to conceive.

c) narrow party political posturing and ERGonaut fundamentalism

I am a pretty moderate one-nation Conservative. I'm not a headbanger. We just need to get on with what was indicated during the campaign.

That ship has sailed.

The fact you can describe yourself as a moderate with a straight face speaks volumes about the state of the Tory party nowadays.
    It certainly does. The PB Right now call Grieve, Soubry, Clarke, etc 'extremists'. They're moderate centre-right politicians with similar views to Angela Merkel or Michel Barnier. Before Thatcher, most Tories had these views.

We badly need PR and a split in both main parties. It's a con on voters to have them under the control respectively of people like Seumus Milne and Peter Bone.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,777
    Well I am sure you have seen my views on whether we actually have democracy Richard. We have a system that is working in some regards and not in others. It is also possible to argue that they are not necessarily opposing Brexit, it is just pretty undeliverable due to Mrs May's incompetence. Surely it is a good thing for an MP to vote with their conscience? If I were an MP and there was a marginal referendum in favour of torture or capital punishment, I would still vote against it, whips or no whips.
This discussion has been closed.