Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Analysis 1, Conspiracy Lunacy 0. Really weird how the places with the most expats are closest to the top of the list. Craaaaaazy.
    https://twitter.com/jamesdotcuff/status/1109079185987915779

Russian bots aren’t sophisticated enough to spoof IP addresses (if that’s even how that is determined) but yet threw the 2016 referendum?
    Tin. Foil. Hat.
    It was partly tongue in cheek, but the concern with these petitions is a real one. It really isn’t difficult to pretend you are in the UK. I have no doubt the vast majority are real though.
    The map is based on self-entered postcode. If there are a lot of bot sigs, they are doing a very good job of modelling a distribution of postcodes reflecting the Remain vote in 2016.

But we should recognise your greater expertise, posting here from thousands of miles away.
    Again, that is trivial thing to do, if one wanted to. It isn't like the data relating to Remain / Leave areas isn't in the public domain.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon, everybody.

I'm a bit confused. Up to yesterday the leaving date was written into the UK law as 29 March, or so I'd understood. Now the EU have decided to offer an extension (good) and the date written into UK law has been superceded by the EU's offer?

How did that happen? Or are there plans to change the law to the new date?

Any help welcome. Thanks in anticipation.

Section 20(4) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 allows the definition of Exit Day to be changed by regulations, otherwise known as statutory instrument. So secondary legislation rather than primary.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I'm a bit confused. Up to yesterday the leaving date was written into the UK law as 29 March, or so I'd understood. Now the EU have decided to offer an extension (good) and the date written into UK law has been superceded by the EU's offer?

Yes - the change is due to pass the HOC and HOL this week
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Analysis 1, Conspiracy Lunacy 0. Really weird how the places with the most expats are closest to the top of the list. Craaaaaazy.

Russian bots aren’t sophisticated enough to spoof IP addresses (if that’s even how that is determined) but yet threw the 2016 referendum?
    Tin. Foil. Hat.
    It was partly tongue in cheek, but the concern with these petitions is a real one. It really isn’t difficult to pretend you are in the UK. I have no doubt the vast majority are real though.
    The map is based on self-entered postcode. If there are a lot of bot sigs, they are doing a very good job of modelling a distribution of postcodes reflecting the Remain vote in 2016.

But we should recognise your greater expertise, posting here from thousands of miles away.
    Again, that is trivial thing to do, if one wanted to.
    Yeah, it's not as if that information is hard to get :p
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    EUref2 would probably win that then but without a majority
    Hmm... is it possible... could MP's themselves reach a decisive position.. alight on a solution ..actual functioning of the legislature?

Surely not.
    It would not get the enabling bill past the HOC by 12th April and that is mandated for any extension

I do apologise to PB for constant repetition of this issue but it needs to colour everyone' s thoughts

I am not saying it is impossible by the 12th April but I would suggest extremely unlikely

Indeed Hyufd is very knowledgeable and I am surprised he has not refered to the enabling legislation road block
    Out of interest, what happens if we haven't passed the necessary legislation by 12th April but then unilaterally revoke on that date?
    Do we have to pass the legislation by 12 April (or 13 April, depending on the frantic discussions taking place in Strasbourg right now)? Maybe we can declare our intent by the 12th and get the legislation through in the days following.
    No -

The enabling legislation has to have received royal assent by the 12th April otherwise we cannot stand MEPs in the campaign starting on the 12th April. That is why the EU named this date
    For the Lolz, we could pass the MV legislation by the 11th April. We then get the extension to 22nd May to get the remaining legislation out the way (which we do on time or sooner) and then for a good laugh, because we are in the longer transition period the PM revokes on 21st May.

We break the EU.

Who on here said the EU might not survive the UK leaving? Perhaps we could do a Sir Humphrey and break the EU by staying.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Tin. Foil. Hat.

Again, that is trivial thing to do, if one wanted to. It isn't like the data relating to Remain / Leave areas isn't in the public domain.
    I don't doubt that the large majority of signatures are genuine. After all, 16 million people voted Remain.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Aaaaany minut now, they'll realise that the EU caving on Brexit is the only thing that will save them. Soon. Very soon...
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1109092601624444928

Germany biggest export industry is capital goods, and the slowdown in China is dramatically impacting demand

See https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/
    Yes and if you look at the export destinations for goods in 2017 7.1% went to China and 6.8% went to the UK. Seeing as we are stockpiling at the moment, it can be assumed that we have bought forward demand for German goods. When we reverse this process and if China keeps slowing down I can only see it getting worse for Germany short term. Which also means it gets worse for the countries that supply the German export machine with intra-EU trade.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Tin. Foil. Hat.

I don't doubt that the large majority of signatures are genuine. After all, 16 million people voted Remain.
    Again, for avoidance of doubt, I think they are genuine to. My point is / has been, that both those providing "evidence" of a conspiracy and non-conspiracy are mostly talking total horseshit.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    tlg86 said:

Could an amendment be tabled to the MV that means a GE is triggered if it is passed?

Great question and I really don't know. My hunch is No because the FTPA lays down just the 2 very specific paths to a GE - the 2/3 majority one and the VONC + 14 days one.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Could an amendment be tabled to the MV that means a GE is triggered if it is passed?

Great question and I really don't know. My hunch is No because the FTPA lays down just the 2 very specific paths to a GE - the 2/3 majority one and the VONC + 14 days one.
    What a terrible piece of legislation the FTPA is.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Good afternoon, Miss JGP.

I believe a new bill has to pass the Commons to amend the exit date.

AnneJGP said:

Section 20(4) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 allows the definition of Exit Day to be changed by regulations, otherwise known as statutory instrument. So secondary legislation rather than primary.

AnneJGP said:

Yes - the change is due to pass the HOC and HOL this week
    Thank you, everybody. (I hope the blockquotes survive.)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Luckily, there is something of a sunset clause. It is up for review in 2020.
  • Options
    The delay apparently agreed. Shameful and deeply disappointing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    EUref2 would probably win that then but without a majority
    Hmm... is it possible... could MP's themselves reach a decisive position.. alight on a solution ..actual functioning of the legislature?

Surely not.
    It would not get the enabling bill past the HOC by 12th April and that is mandated for any extension

I do apologise to PB for constant repetition of this issue but it needs to colour everyone' s thoughts

I am not saying it is impossible by the 12th April but I would suggest extremely unlikely

Indeed Hyufd is very knowledgeable and I am surprised he has not refered to the enabling legislation road block
    Out of interest, what happens if we haven't passed the necessary legislation by 12th April but then unilaterally revoke on that date?
    Do we have to pass the legislation by 12 April (or 13 April, depending on the frantic discussions taking place in Strasbourg right now)? Maybe we can declare our intent by the 12th and get the legislation through in the days following.
    No -

The enabling legislation has to have received royal assent by the 12th April otherwise we cannot stand MEPs in the campaign starting on the 12th April. That is why the EU named this date
    For the Lolz, we could pass the MV legislation by the 11th April. We then get the extension to 22nd May to get the remaining legislation out the way (which we do on time or sooner) and then for a good laugh, because we are in the longer transition period the PM revokes on 21st May.

We break the EU.

Who on here said the EU might not survive the UK leaving? Perhaps we could do a Sir Humphrey and break the EU by staying.
    Well that is an idea, but I expect 12th April is the last date for revoke

Sky update

Angela Merkel has just confirmed that the 12th April is very important as the validity of the EU elections cannot be undermined
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Just started listening to the podcast, and it occurs to me that the chief factor on whether I listen or not isn't the length of the podcast, but just how interesting politics is at the time.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Dreamed up on the back of a fag packet by those two pillocks who did so much to make the UK what it is today, David Cameron and Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

stodge said:

Now just the express. The mail is pro deal

No, the Mail is pro-May.

And pro deal. I subscribe to the on line newspaper
    No, don't confuse the one with the other. They are pro-Deal because they are pro-May not the other way round. If May switched to supporting No Deal, the Mail would follow. It will be interesting who will receive the mail's endorsement as her successor. I think they might support Javid or Hunt.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Waiting patiently for this to arrive on Netflix.

https://twitter.com/DadJokeMan/status/1109109202776145922
  • Options

Just started listening to the podcast, and it occurs to me that the chief factor on whether I listen or not isn't the length of the podcast, but just how interesting politics is at the time.

There are serious proposals for an vote under the AV system in the House of Commons. I think we are at peak interest. :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It is. And it slipped through with so little fanfare.

It was that David Cameron again. Perfectly nice chap but ...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    De Gaulle was a big fan of referenda, which he used to by-pass the National Assembly.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Now just the express. The mail is pro deal

No, the Mail is pro-May.

And pro deal. I subscribe to the on line newspaper
    No, don't confuse the one with the other. They are pro-Deal because they are pro-May not the other way round. If May switched to supporting No Deal, the Mail would follow. It will be interesting who will receive the mail's endorsement as her successor. I think they might support Javid or Hunt.
    Probably
  • Options

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Dreamed up on the back of a fag packet by those two pillocks who did so much to make the UK what it is today, David Cameron and Nick Clegg.
    It was designed to stop the Conservatives holding a snap election, but it turned out to have much wider implications.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, all it needed was a sunset clause. Said at the time it was daft not to have one.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    While in his own country, the army will be on the streets this weekend armed with automatic weapons and will be allowed to open fire if required.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

De Gaulle was a big fan of referenda, which he used to by-pass the National Assembly.
    I think we can all, remainers and leavers alike, agree that De Gaulle was an ungrateful, spiteful bastard who soured UK-Franco relations more than anyone since Henry II took back Calais.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not sure it being difficult is a reason not to do something.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I think we can all, remainers and leavers alike, agree that De Gaulle was an ungrateful, spiteful bastard who soured UK-Franco relations more than anyone since Henry II took back Calais.
    That he was, but he did us a favour in vetoing our application for EU membership, had we had eyes to see it.
  • Options

Mr. 86, all it needed was a sunset clause. Said at the time it was daft not to have one.

It does kinda have one. The PM is required to set up a committee to review the Act in 2020.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Anorak said:

Waiting patiently for this to arrive on Netflix.

https://twitter.com/DadJokeMan/status/1109109202776145922

Surely Corbyn could only be played by Wilfred Bramble...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That he was, but he did us a favour in vetoing our application for EU membership, had we had eyes to see it.
    And that's the point, my leaver friend, where we will just have to agree to disagree :)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

It is. And it slipped through with so little fanfare.

It was that David Cameron again. Perfectly nice chap but ...
    I don't get the hate for it. It seems to be doing its job perfectly well. It's not as though a general election looks likely to break the logjam and it would act as a displacement activity for MPs who should be using the time to be getting on with sorting out the mess.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    It really is. And often a very, very good one.

I'd like to swim the channel, for example.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:
    While in his own country, the army will be on the streets this weekend armed with automatic weapons and will be allowed to open fire if required.
    Yes - he has some nerve
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, invading Persia was a bit tricky, but it didn't put off Alexander.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MPs need to realise the 12th isn't actually the deadline they need to work to. They need it sorted before that.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes - he has some nerve
    His grant debates have gone down about as well as finding out that the Maybot is to headline the next Strictly Live Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVzc4Orlk3E
  • Options
    DUP highly critical of TM not getting a better deal out of the EU and will not support MV3

TM needs to lead on this and put forward the indicative votes. Her deal has died
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, it would be a good reason for not trying to climb Everest naked, for instance. Until you can demonstrate that you are any more capable of arranging a satisfactory brexit than you are of doing that, I'd keep quiet if I were you.
  • Options
    It strikes me how beautifully positioned Jeremy Corbyn is right now. He has 2 options and both of them are potentially mouthwatering.

He can (i) stay passive and allow the Tories to implode over Brexit, or he can (ii) opt for 'cometh the hour cometh the man' and lead the HoC to a Brexit solution.

If I were him I would opt for (i).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It strikes me how beautifully positioned Jeremy Corbyn is right now. He has 2 options and both of them are potentially mouthwatering.

He can (i) stay passive and allow the Tories to implode over Brexit, or he can (ii) opt for 'cometh the hour cometh the man' and lead the HoC to a Brexit solution.

If I were him I would opt for (i).

More likely his allotment
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Sky update

Angela Merkel has just confirmed that the 12th April is very important as the validity of the EU elections cannot be undermined

But that cannot be right. What position are we in?

Presently, until 29th March we are in the A50 notice period. We can, unilaterally, revoke that notification and remain in the EU.

Then, from 30th March to 12th April, we are in.... what? The extended Article 50 period? So we can still revoke, unilaterally.

If the Deal passes etc etc, what do we move into between 13th April 2019 and 22nd May 2019. If we CAN'T revoke, we aren't in the Article 50 period. If we're not in the Article 50 notification period, then we can't be members of the European Union. So what are we?

Genuine question for the boffins here. I know its mostly theoretical, but if we take the Deal, are we out from 12th April or not? If we're not, why can't we revoke until 21st May?

It matters, because once Remainers get wind of this, they know that the 12th April isn't a true hard deadline. The true hard deadline of when Remain becomes Rejoin is actually 22nd May.

((I think it's all academic - the MV probably won't pass; but its interesting if it does))
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'd be very surprised if the DUP really did want to leave without a deal on 29th March.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, even basic forward planning has been atrocious by almost all MPs.

May's obviously been rubbish, but hundreds of MPs backed triggering Article 50 and seem not to have realised the necessary consequence is that unless they back a deal (or something like a referendum/revocation occurs) we leave with no deal.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, it would be a good reason for not trying to climb Everest naked, for instance. Until you can demonstrate that you are any more capable of arranging a satisfactory brexit than you are of doing that, I'd keep quiet if I were you.
    Trade union reform in the 1960's to 1980's was difficult. It destroyed two governments. That doesn't mean it was not worth doing.
  • Options

Sky update

Presently, until 29th March we are in the A50 notice period. We can, unilaterally, revoke that notification and remain in the EU.

Then, from 30th March to 12th April, we are in.... what? The extended Article 50 period? So we can still revoke, unilaterally.

If the Deal passes etc etc, what do we move into between 13th April 2019 and 22nd May 2019. If we CAN'T revoke, we aren't in the Article 50 period. If we're not in the Article 50 notification period, then we can't be members of the European Union. So what are we?

Genuine question for the boffins here. I know its mostly theoretical, but if we take the Deal, are we out from 12th April or not? If we're not, why can't we revoke until 21st May?

It matters, because once Remainers get wind of this, they know that the 12th is a true hard deadline. The true hard deadline of when Remain becomes Rejoin is actually 22nd May.

((I think it's all academic - the MV probably won't pass; but its interesting if it does))
    The 12th is the hard deadline

The deal woukd take us to 22nd May but you cannot revoke post 12th April because we will not have taken part in the EU elections as confirmed by Angela Merkel
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    And John Redwood has just threatened her with their 'coalition', ie ERG and DUP
  • Options
    John Redwood just said he does not know 'where people get these crazy ideas'

You could not make this up
  • Options

I don't get the hate for it. It seems to be doing its job perfectly well. It's not as though a general election looks likely to break the logjam and it would act as a displacement activity for MPs who should be using the time to be getting on with sorting out the mess.

It made sense for the Coalition but what it seems to be doing here is making it harder than it ought to be to kill the undead.

Although TBF these are once in a century circumstances.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1109078649532235777?s=20

This is fascinating polling on four Brexit options.

No deal is clearly inferior to both Ref2 and Norway+, since more people dislike it and fewer like it than either of these other options.

May's deal is clearly inferior to Norway+, since more people dislike it and fewer like it (although Ref2 is more popular than May's deal, it is also more unpopular).

This suggests either Ref2 or Norway+ would be reasonable options, although Ref2 is more polarising with more likes and dislikes than the latter.

My personal preference is Ref2 but Norway+ is a good compromise, as the least unpopular and second most popular outcome.

It feels like Norway+ aka BINO will be where we end up. Kind of a pointless waste of three years, but hey ho, thanks Dave.

Yes, that polling is very clear that Norway+ is the French restaurant compromise, when he loves Chinese food but hates Indian and she loves Indian but hates Chinese.
  • Options
    About 3/4 into the podcast. Polling-wise, the Government is doing almost as badly (in satisfaction terms) as Major in 1994, and Corbyn's doing almost as badly as Michael Foot.

Lib Dems to win the next General Election? :p
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    I can't see any benefits from climbing Everest naked (unless you are an exhibitionist). I can see benefits from Brexit.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited March 2019
    I am watching the most idiotic display of pique from ERG members who seem to be in full panic and wrecking mood

I am now behind Norway or remain and the re-drawing of the political landscape. I do not care if ERG attempt to paralyse the government
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I'd be very surprised if the DUP really did want to leave without a deal on 29th March.
    I think the DUP would be content with Norway or even remain
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    I can't see any benefits from climbing Everest naked (unless you are an exhibitionist). I can see benefits from Brexit.
    Climbing Everest naked would be super cool and a great thing to do. It would also of course kill you. Let's not torture this analogy any more ( @Ishmael_Z has however been on fire, analogy-wise of late).
  • Options

I am watching the most idiotic display of pique from ERG members who seem to be in full panic and wrecking mood

I am now behind Norway or remain and the re-drawing of the political lanscape. I do not care if ERG attempt to paralyse the government

The laughs to be had in watching the ERG wreckers realising they've blown it, has almost made the last few years in UK politics worth it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Trade union reform in the 1960's to 1980's was difficult. It destroyed two governments. That doesn't mean it was not worth doing.
    Some difficult things are possible does not imply all difficult things are possible. We know empirically that trade union reform was possible. If a decent brexit is possible, could you get on the blower to whoever is in charge and tell them to get on with it?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

Scott_P said:
    The ERG are the useful idiots of the DUP, who will allow the DUP to end up with No Brexit without losing face for having supported it.
  • Options
    Sky

Greg Clark confirms TM will bring in indicative votes next week
  • Options
    This thread is old news.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Such as?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    kinabalu said:

TudorRose said:

You'd need sponsors. Brexit IV Semi-Final 1 supported by Popcorn-U-Like....

:-)

And there would be plenty of interest, I would have thought.

However, almost as soon as I hit POST I realized a fatal flaw - the very serious risk of match fixing.

Final game, REF2 vs REVOKE, and REF2 needs the win to top the table, just pipping JobsFirstBrexit, whereas REVOKE is tailed off and out of the reckoning.

What's to stop REVOKE throwing it?

And if they do, presenting victory to REF2 on a platter, what will be the reaction of the supporters of JobsFirstBrexit? Will they riot?
    Easy solution, like the way they do it in World Cups: have the games run simultaneously.
    That is - give everyone involved a sheet of paper with all the matchups on them and get them to make their choices there and then. Go down the paper, ticking their preferred head-to-head winner in each case.

You can then add them up one at a time to provide the tension, if you prefer, but the final result would be untainted.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Some difficult things are possible does not imply all difficult things are possible. We know empirically that trade union reform was possible. If a decent brexit is possible, could you get on the blower to whoever is in charge and tell them to get on with it?
    We certainly did not know if it was possible in, say, 1977.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

DUP highly critical of TM not getting a better deal out of the EU and will not support MV3

TM needs to lead on this and put forward the indicative votes. Her deal has died

You for #CorbynsCustomsUnion yet
  • Options

Sky update

It matters, because once Remainers get wind of this, they know that the 12th is a true hard deadline. The true hard deadline of when Remain becomes Rejoin is actually 22nd May.

The 12th is the hard deadline

The deal would take us to 22nd May but you cannot revoke post 12th April because we will not have taken part in the EU elections as confirmed by Angela Merkel
    Again, I ask why. Again, let's say the Deal is accepted right?

So, what position is the UK between 13th April 2019 and 22nd May 2019.
    Are we a member state of the EU or not?
    If we are, we MUST be able to revoke.

Yes it 'breaks' the EU elections, in which case, if we take the Deal we MUST prepare for them, presumably?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

While a delay and soft Brexit might be the only option left it does of course spell huge trouble for the Tory Party as Michael Portillo said on TW last night. The notion the 70% Leave voting activist, membership and voter base will take kindly to a set of Euro elections and a long delay to Brexit is for the birds.
  • Options

Easy solution, like the way they do it in World Cups: have the games run simultaneously.
    That is - give everyone involved a sheet of paper with all the matchups on them and get them to make their choices there and then. Go down the paper, ticking their preferred head-to-head winner in each case.

You can then add them up one at a time to provide the tension, if you prefer, but the final result would be untainted.

That is eureka and cracked!

Seriously, it now works. We just need a name for this system.
  • Options
    I see #CorbynsCustomsUnion is the least disliked outcome.

Also seen as a good outcome by more than Tin Ears Deal Or No Deal
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Amusingly it is legally identical to May's deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Amusingly it is legally identical to May's deal
    Am sure if they had put the word Corbyn in front of it. Its unpopularity would have soared
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The ERG are the useful idiots of the DUP, who will allow the DUP to end up with No Brexit without losing face for having supported it.
    Very good point William
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RH1992 said:

glw said:

RH1992 said:

Scott_P said:
    That banner is awful. It's attempting to be "down with the kids" yet it's got some pretty deeply unpopular leaders in front of it.
    I don't know if you heard it but the sycophantic guffawing that occompanied the "jokes" from Tusk and Juncker last night was something to be heard. It was about as real as Trump's hairline.
    The EU's media operation is pretty diabolical. It expects a higher level of respect for the institutions than the US media to the US President. This seems to be observed by most of the media of the member states and their own internal media provider, and it sees the British media including pro-Remain outlets as a thorn in the side when they ask unwanted questions. I was pro-Remain in the referendum and would probably vote the same if there were another referendum, but the way the EU attempts to portray itself as an infallible force for good does not wash with me.
    Agreed. That should be the British contribution to the EU. Stir it up a bit.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Very good point William
    Agree. Perceptive point of the day.
  • Options
    I stand corrected if the petitioner herself did act threateningly. However, the petition campaign itself, rather than her as a private individual, and the march today, have threatened no-one, and been remarkable for their good nature considering the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.