Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rendering unto Caesar

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Cyclefree said:

May is now a rogue PM, isn't she? Supported by no-one .

Patently untrue. People who say she is doing mad things and yet remain in her Cabinet are clearly supporting her, just trying to cover their own backs. And parliament can remove her whenever it wants, and should, so she's not rogue either. They have the power.
  • Options
    There was a Belgian MEP on 5Live tonight who said Britain would be close to being a rogue state if we had a No Deal Brexit. The EU are as batshit as PB about Brexit. Everybody needs to lie down and think about happy places.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    Scott_P said:
    I admire the EUs optimism for the UK to be able to say what it wants to do at that point.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Can I ask who here was glad May won the confidence vote last December and if you still are?

The answer hangs on the replacement. It is Boris keeping her in her job.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1108829531903836161

Well it’s a plan, granted it’s crap but it’s no worse than the others we’ve seen in the past 3 months

If Cabinet Members are really thinking these things they have no excuse for staying in the Cabinet. So as bad as things no doubt are there, it seems like it is just more attempts to focus on who gets blamed, ie not them. 'Me? I was against her the whole time I was in Cabinet'.
    Sounds like its bitter soft Brexiteers realising they might not get what they want too. They should resign if that's what they think though.
    Name me one No Deal Brexiteers left in the cabinet?
    Reportedly the Cabinet would prefer the Deal but if that's not possible then most of the Cabinet would prefer No Deal to a long extension or revocation.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Cyclefree said:

May is now a rogue PM, isn't she? Supported by no-one and driving us to disaster. The Tory party has to act and get rid of her, if it wants to survive.

Well put.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The impressive thing about Brexit is *every* time you think "this must be the week where some sort of decision/progress is made"...it isn't.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Patently untrue. People who say she is doing mad things and yet remain in her Cabinet are clearly supporting her, just trying to cover their own backs. And parliament can remove her whenever it wants, and should, so she's not rogue either. They have the power.
    You can equally argue the opposite. Gove is desperately trying (and has been since October) to get his department in a position to support farmers were the result to be No Deal - (his plan wouldn’t work so I ran a mile from it).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Can I ask who here was glad May won the confidence vote last December and if you still are?

In hindsight even Boris would have been better than May.

Unlike May, Boris wouldn't have dug himself into a bunker ranting and raving that nothing has changed.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    "Men in white coats" are needed for Theresa May now. Not "men in grey suits".
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Will it come to be known as the Theresa effect?

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1108807303489380358

Actually sky news (and they are no fans of may / Brexit) said this reverse ferret is because tusk has made a boo boo and they are trying to find a fudge to save face.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    2 weeks of can kicking then. Might as well just say it must be a long extension, and force us to decide what we want to do next week. Not sure what the point is of this April plan.
    If Letwin Benn passes next week and the Commons votes for 'Common Market 2.0' ie SM and CU BINO we will know pretty soon, as was shown on Peston last night after number crunching how MPs lean 'Common Market 2.0' is now closer to a majority in the Commons than any of the Deal, No Deal or EUref2, extension just gives the Commons the time to vote for it and avoid default No Deal
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Me, because I was terrified of the chaos that could've been caused by Boris Johnson or similar wading into the negotiations at the 11th hour, and I think that still applies in retrospect.

Which is not to say that I am entirely happy about the position we're in, but I'm still blaming most of that on the ERG and Labour.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, parliament can VONC the Government when it wants so the idea of a rogue PM is ridiculous given the HoC numbers in particular
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Well it’s a plan, granted it’s crap but it’s no worse than the others we’ve seen in the past 3 months

If Cabinet Members are really thinking these things they have no excuse for staying in the Cabinet. So as bad as things no doubt are there, it seems like it is just more attempts to focus on who gets blamed, ie not them. 'Me? I was against her the whole time I was in Cabinet'.
    Sounds like its bitter soft Brexiteers realising they might not get what they want too. They should resign if that's what they think though.
    Reportedly the Cabinet would prefer the Deal but if that's not possible then most of the Cabinet would prefer No Deal to a long extension or revocation.
    Once again Names rather than rumours..l
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Letwin and Benn to retable amendment on Monday to give MPs the power to vote on alternative options, including 'Common Market 2.0' to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union. Letwin says he is now confident he has the votes to pass it after it lost by just 2 votes last time as at least 5 MPs have now switched in favour of the amendment following changes

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/mps-move-to-take-control-of-brexit-as-theresa-may-heads-back-to-brussels-a4097446.html

I'm amazed it lost the first time. I'm half convinced May was as well, and she didn't actually have a plan for what happened if she won that vote, as she was expecting to have to be 'forced' to holding votes on alternative options by now.

But I'm in favour of anything if it means MPs will actually narrow down their choices, though does there remain the possibility they just vote against all options?

6 weeks unconditional extension according to chap on BBC

Ugh, awful outcome.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, parliament can VONC the Government when it wants so the idea of a rogue PM is ridiculous given the HoC numbers in particular
    Yes. I don't defend her recent decisions, but 'rogue pm' stuff is just silly.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Unlike May, Boris wouldn't have dug himself into a bunker ranting and raving that nothing has changed.
    There is no way that Boris would improve things.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    So, does anyone still think May is a closet Remainer?
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Rudd, Clark, Gauke etc would actually prefer 'Common Market 2.0' to No Deal and would vote accordingly
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Cyclefree said:

May is now a rogue PM, isn't she? Supported by no-one and driving us to disaster. The Tory party has to act and get rid of her, if it wants to survive.

Well put.
    No it wasn't, it was just pretending May doing a bad job is the same thing as being supported by no one and going rogue. When the PM doesn't have the confidence of the Cabinet or Commons we will know about it from more than rumours of people being happy in Cabinet and the statements of understandably discontented MPs. They'll actually do something.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Rudd, Clark, Gauke etc would actually prefer 'Common Market 2.0' to No Deal and would vote accordingly
    Which doesn't change what I said at all.

Gove, Leadsom, Hunt, Fox etc wouldn't reportedly.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Hunt, Fox, Grayling, Mordaunt
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,113

The impressive thing about Brexit is *every* time you think "this must be the week where some sort of decision/progress is made"...it isn't.

That is the one thing you can rely on..
  • Options
    rpjs said:

She did wonders for the revoke petition. Just passed 1.5 million.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    1.5 million and counting...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Letwin and Benn to retable amendment on Monday to give MPs the power to vote on alternative options, including 'Common Market 2.0' to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union. Letwin says he is now confident he has the votes to pass it after it lost by just 2 votes last time as at least 5 MPs have now switched in favour of the amendment following changes

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/mps-move-to-take-control-of-brexit-as-theresa-may-heads-back-to-brussels-a4097446.html

I'm amazed it lost the first time. I'm half convinced May was as well, and she didn't actually have a plan for what happened if she won that vote, as she was expecting to have to be 'forced' to holding votes on alternative options by now.

But I'm in favour of anything if it means MPs will actually narrow down their choices, though does there remain the possibility they just vote against all options?

Ugh, awful outcome.
    If the Commons will vote for anything, it will be Common Market 2.0
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Well put.
    She's Brigadier-General Jack D Ripper and the EU Council Meeting is the War Room. Who is President Merkin, Dr Strangelove or General Buck Turgidson I will leave to others. Dominic Grieve would make a good Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, though.
  • Options

1.5 million and counting...

Only 14.6 million to go to catch up with how many we already knew had voted for Remain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Hunt, Fox, Grayling, Mordaunt
    The intellectual elite.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not now, but as bad as he is he is also flexible, which we need more of. He's not been flexible on the WA because he is outside and trying to become PM, but he'd twist and turn as much as he had to if he was at the top, god forbid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ugh, awful outcome.
    If the Commons will vote for anything, it will be Common Market 2.0
    Fine. If it is the most consensus building option then it is bloody frustrating the ones who back it on each side have not pushed harder together in the past few months.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well put.
    She's Brigadier-General Jack D Ripper and the EU Council Meeting is the War Room. Who is President Merkin, Dr Strangelove or General Buck Turgidson I will leave to others. Dominic Grieve would make a good Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, though.
    "Gentlemen, you can't Leave! This is the Brexit Room!"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    rpjs said:

:D:D:D
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    It is interesting how the Brexit story is affecting all of us. I have just been looking at Jeremy Corbyn's efforts in Brussels today. He seems to have had some constructive talks and his deal looks a sight better than May's offering. My rational brain says this sounds sensible and that I ought be supporting it. My lizard brain, which is in control right now, says 'why isn't this guy leading us to the barricades to get Article 50 revoked now! Traitor!'.

Puts historical accounts of revolutions into perspective.

I hope we can all calm down soon.

(And before anyone says anything, I am well aware of his long history of Euroskepticism.)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    GIN1138 said:

This time next week it'll be Brexit Eve :open_mouth:

Eight more sleeps! Will Santa Brexit come down the chimbley? And give us all the sunlit uplands presents we were promised? Will there be happy times and party hats, jelly and ice cream?

Or will he shit on the carpet, vom, pass out and break the table? Yeah. It's going to be that, isn't it... :(
  • Options

It is interesting how the Brexit story is affecting all of us. I have just been looking at Jeremy Corbyn's efforts in Brussels today. He seems to have had some constructive talks and his deal looks a sight better than May's offering. My rational brain says this sounds sensible and that I ought be supporting it. My lizard brain, which is in control right now, says 'why isn't this guy leading us to the barricades to get Article 50 revoked now! Traitor!'.

Puts historical accounts of revolutions into perspective.

I hope we can all calm down soon.

(And before anyone says anything, I am well aware of his long history of Euroskepticism.)

Corbyn has had a better chance of a deal the Commons might support than May for quite some time.
  • Options
    I’m starting to wonder if it’s endgame.

EU grants unconditional short extension. May is forced out.

At that point a long extension has to be value because whoever the Tory Party pick as leader is going to have to either tack to the no-deal right (loses the remainers to TIG, VONC, GE) or tacks towards a Norway model (loses the ERG, VONC, GE).

• Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not now, but as bad as he is he is also flexible, which we need more of. He's not been flexible on the WA because he is outside and trying to become PM, but he'd twist and turn as much as he had to if he was at the top, god forbid.
    Yet he has boxed himself into ever more extreme positions such that now he is shooting at 'leading' the handful of most extreme nutters.

And his judgment is appalling. At least we can expect May's deal to be a workable product, even if she is handling the tactics dreadfully. With Boris we'd probably have something unworkable or unaffordable.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2019
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Eight more sleeps! Will Santa Brexit come down the chimbley? And give us all the sunlit uplands presents we were promised? Will there be happy times and party hats, jelly and ice cream?

Or will he shit on the carpet, vom, pass out and break the table? Yeah. It's going to be that, isn't it... :(
    Nah you are going to wake up to a note that says Christmas has been delayed for 9 months (with small print that says subject to further change)
  • Options
    Common Market 2.0 works for me.
  • Options

At that point a long extension has to be value because whoever the Tory Party pick as leader is going to have to either tack to the no-deal right (loses the remainers to TIG, VONC, GE) or tacks towards a Norway model (loses the ERG, VONC, GE).

I was just hoping Brexit Endgame would play out before Avengers Endgame at the end of April, but apparently not.
  • Options

The ERG have nowhere to go. The problem is that they have the members' backing, but a powerful leader should nevertheless be able to face them down.
  • Options
    I think the only way this gets sorted is to follow the Ripley Doctrine regarding Westminster.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited March 2019
    1.5 million of which 500000 was while we were all sleeping : Autobots rigged by EU
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Can anyone explain the EU's strategy in offering an unconditional extension?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

She's rogue because, as best as I can tell - and I may of course be wrong - she is talking to no-one, involving no-one, not getting the consent of others, not building a consensus, just acting as if she - and her views - are the only things that matter. (That's when she's not doing her Joan of Arc "I hear the voice of the People" shtick, while being one of those politicians utterly reluctant to speak to any actual real life people let alone consult them.)

The PM is primus inter pares but they are not the only one who makes the decisions. She fundamentally does not understand this and has made this whole issue about her alone. Even the EU get it when they ask whether what she is saying or asking for has democratic consent.

In a political structure such as ours the way she is operating is, I think, pretty much going rogue
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MikeL said:

Gives time to Parliament to get rid of May and figure out if we are going for referendum or GE and to ask for a long extension.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951

I think the only way this gets sorted is to follow the Ripley Doctrine regarding Westminster.

+1
    Once this is all over, a bonfire (metaphorical, of course) of the present lot who have brought us to this crisis needs to happen. Sack the lot of em. Start again.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Betfair is still expecting 3rd Meaningful Vote to take place next week.

Is this still likely if EU offers unconditional extension?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Brexit Day might be more Greg Lake than Cliff Richard... ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    MikeL said:

Trolling, pure and simple.

Isn't it odd to think that in pre- internet days we lacked both the concept and the word for trolling?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yet he has boxed himself into ever more extreme positions such that now he is shooting at 'leading' the handful of most extreme nutters.

And his judgment is appalling. At least we can expect May's deal to be a workable product, even if she is handling the tactics dreadfully. With Boris we'd probably have something unworkable or unaffordable.
    Boris's WA would probably involve a Garden Bridge over the Channel.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

She's rogue because, as best as I can tell - and I may of course be wrong - she is talking to no-one, involving no-one, not getting the consent of others, not building a consensus, just acting as if she - and her views - are the only things that matter. (That's when she's not doing her Joan of Arc "I hear the voice of the People" shtick, while being one of those politicians utterly reluctant to speak to any actual real life people let alone consult them.)

The PM is primus inter pares but they are not the only one who makes the decisions. She fundamentally does not understand this and has made this whole issue about her alone. Even the EU get it when they ask whether what she is saying or asking for has democratic consent.

In a political structure such as ours the way she is operating is, I think, pretty much going rogue
    And I disagree. If she is doing as you suggest then the Cabinet and Parliament could and should have acted to remove her or bypass her. If they have not, and they haven't, they are backing her actions even if they whinge at us about them.
  • Options
    Why not just say that then we'll regretfully leave without a deal at that point ? She at least has to look halfway serious lol
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,113

Given the competence & efficiency with which Brexit has been carried out, which actual coordinates should be given to the Trident sub commander to ensure that he/she accidentally takes out Westminster?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,855
    At some stage today I realised I no longer believed my family was safe with May in charge.

She must go immediately.
  • Options
    He's right parliament should get that chance, but he cannot help himself by saying she is threatening the country with no deal. Parliament put that threat in place and has always had the power to remove it, and no only through voting for the deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Which doesn't change what I said at all.

Gove, Leadsom, Hunt, Fox etc wouldn't reportedly.
    Common Market 2.0 can still pass without them, they also voted to keep No Deal on the table, the Commons voted to take No Deal off the table
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1108830556178079750

And an astute comment that Mrs May reminds of Honecker in the last days of the GDR. In fact there are strong parallels between Brexit and East Germany. A lot of the motivations are the same.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't feel we've had enough constitutional tinkering recently. A full separation of the church and the state is overdue. Perhaps something to look at once Brexit is uncontroversial?

No thanks.

I like the established CoE.
    Nope I am with Alastair on this one. If we are to use Brexit as an opportunity for real beneficial change then disestablishment is a very good place to start.
    I think it’s a fairly harmless (but also valuable) part of our cultural and historical tapestry.

And I love giving prayers to its head, HM Queen Elizabeth, at Christmas in Winchester cathedral.

But I wouldn’t expect you to agree. I am a Conservative, after all.
    We could turn it into the Church of Windsor.
    It’s an independent, very English, church, at the centre of parishes and communities up and down the country, and it plays a useful (if somewhat left-leaning) part in our national debate.

I think that’s, on balance, a positive thing.
    It's so independent it has Bishops in the Lords.

If people want to support their medieval superstitions then good luck to them, no reason it should be established though.
    Yes and many of those Bishops contribute more to debates than the party donor hacks who take up too many places nowadays, the same applies to the Rabbis who have had seats there and representatives of other faiths could also have a presence
    Hell no.
    There is no reason why religious leaders should not be in the Lords in the same way ex politicians, businessmen, academics, lawyers, scientists, former sportspeople and figures in the arts are
    Most of those people are there because of the individual contributions they made to their chosen fields. Bishops are there because of the status of their religion irrespective of their individual qualities.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

1.5 million of which 500000 was while we were all sleeping : Autobots rigged by EU

Nope, I was awake (I’m abroad and had prep to do for a 7am Uk meeting). While the numbers are high they are no different from UK ecommerce sales figures over a 24hr day.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

+1
    Once this is all over, a bonfire (metaphorical, of course) of the present lot who have brought us to this crisis needs to happen. Sack the lot of em. Start again.
    And when that doesn't happen and an election, whenever it happens, returns the same old shower?

I think they've handled themselves very poorly, but let's not pretend even for a minute that the same party lines will broadly apply and the same kind of candidates will get appointed. We reward that behaviour.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MikeL said:

It sounds like they are thinking about their own problems, elections, etc, than on trying to influence our process and decisions. I think it's awful because if we go past April 11th without starting the EU elections process it's too late and that means it becomes impossible to agree a longer extension later. We would have to revoke if we wanted to avoid no deal or the deal.

But then I can understand why they are not trying to second guess what we want as that is up to us to sort out.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited March 2019
    eek said:

kjohnw said:

Nope, I was awake (I’m abroad and had prep to do for a 7am Uk meeting). While the numbers are high they are no different from UK ecommerce sales figures over a 24hr day.
    The numbers per constituency also all make sense and are believable.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Betfair is still expecting 3rd Meaningful Vote to take place next week.

Is this still likely if EU offers unconditional extension?

Probably, although I don't know what the point would be. The main obstacle to the deal has been they never see it as a choice between no brexit/ no deal vs the deal, and they definitely won't now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

And I disagree. If she is doing as you suggest then the Cabinet and Parliament could and should have acted to remove her or bypass her. If they have not, and they haven't, they are backing her actions even if they whinge at us about them.
    The problem is our politicians have been in a downward spiral in terms of quality for years. I sort of expect us to end the year with Dianne Abbott as Home Secretary, it seems to be the logical next step...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Backing her is just one of the potential reasons. Maybe they don't fancy the limelight for themselves? Maybe they don't want to hold the dagger and are waiting to follow, not lead? Maybe they enjoy the perks and power a little too much and are keeping their heads down? Etc.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,127
    Isn't it great to have taken back control so decisively?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kjohnw said:

No it wasn't.

Read my posts from last night. It was 300,000 when I went to bed and I posted here at the time. It was 400,000 when I woke up and posted here.

If you slept through 500,000 then either you had way too much to drink last night or you should get medical help.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Backing her is just one of the potential reasons. Maybe they don't fancy the limelight for themselves? Maybe they don't want to hold the dagger and are waiting to follow, not lead? Maybe they enjoy the perks and power a little too much and are keeping their heads down? Etc.
    By backing her I didn't necessarily mean they are happy about it or fulsome in their efforts to back her. I mean that people can whine about not liking X all they want, but if they don't do anything to stop X, their actions are backing X whatever the reason for their inaction. Parliament has to date permitted May to carry on even if just by not filling the vacuum of leadership that is on display.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    eek said:

kjohnw said:

It started to go viral late last night after May's scena della pazzia so there's nothing suspect about the numbers.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Finally managed to sign the petition. Not even sure I agree with it, but think it’s important to register my absolute disgust at the way Theresa May is conducting herself. She clearly does not believe in Parliamentary democracy.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

For PMs to go rogue requires only sensible MPs to do nothing.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

They're panicked and don't want no deal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Stephen Hepburn will be glad it’s a busy news day.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    eek said:

kjohnw said:

Rubbish! Anyway until you get to 17.5 million you have no argument and in the UK we do not decide policy on online petitions we had a national referendum which you want to ignore because you despise democratic choices if it is not what you agree with just like the EU
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Finally managed to sign the petition. Not even sure I agree with it, but think it’s important to register my absolute disgust at the way Theresa May is conducting herself. She clearly does not believe in Parliamentary democracy.

How so? Parliament has not yet decided on anything definitively. It's voted against an awful lot of things so far.
  • Options
    Wonderful.

Nick Gutteridge:
    EU official says that when leaders asked May what she was going to do if her deal was voted down, she would only reply that she was following her 'Plan A' of getting it through. It was then they decided 'she didn't have a plan so they needed to come up with one for her'.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

The problem is our politicians have been in a downward spiral in terms of quality for years. I sort of expect us to end the year with Dianne Abbott as Home Secretary, it seems to be the logical next step...
    Surely she should Be chancellor

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZ262b7wBI
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MikeL said:

They're panicked and don't want no deal.
    Or they think Jezza can get them something better for them......
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Chris said:

In case you missed it... we haven't left yet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    kjohnw said:

eek said:

kjohnw said:

Rubbish! Anyway until you get to 17.5 million you have no argument and in the UK we do not decide policy on online petitions we had a national referendum which you want to ignore because you despise democratic choices if it is not what you agree with just like the EU
    Just for old time's sake:

Leave 52%
    Remain 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    MikeL said:

Combination of things. There is an element of being nice here. We are not acting coherently and they're a bit worried. But it's mostly self-interest. @Richard_Nabavi posted something several weeks ago from the Guardian[1] which said they would grant a short extension because they didn't want to be blamed for a hard-Brexit. That article was the subject of some concern to me and it appears that it is playing out.

[1] Possibly this one: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/31/eu-fears-short-article-50-extension-will-mean-no-deal-brexit-in-june
  • Options

Same here, but I haven't been able to register my disgust - too many others doing likewise.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    May needs to go . She’s now a danger to the country . For those leadership hopefuls in the cabinet if the lunatic drives the UK out on no deal and it ends up a disaster they will also be left with that baggage .
  • Options

Chris said:

Of course - that's in the lap of the gods, isn't it? Or rather the EU27.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Ishmael_Z said:

MikeL said:

Trolling, pure and simple.

Isn't it odd to think that in pre- internet days we lacked both the concept and the word for trolling?
    It does seem odd, because all the evidence is we’ll dick around for another month and still have not enough time to do anything at the end of it. While I wasn’t in favour of “MV3 or you’re out next Friday”, I think “MV3 or you need to tell us you’ve found a grown-up helper by next Thursday if you want longer” might finally have caused some decisions.

• Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Has this been posted?

It's quite incredible

https://twitter.com/goodwinmj/status/1108760249631211520?s=21

Everyone who is anyone, from Brussels to London to the GUARDIAN to the BBC to the entire government has been menacing us for weeks that No Deal Brexit will mean the end of days, wolverines gnawing on corpses in Leicester Square, fevers and plague stalking the kingdom etc

And the result? British public opinion has swung further in FAVOUR of No Deal. That truly is a great big Fuck Off. We won’t be bullied. We are not the French, or the Dutch, or the Irish. THIS IS SPARTA.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    FF43 said:

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1108830556178079750

And an astute comment that Mrs May reminds of Honecker in the last days of the GDR. In fact there are strong parallels between Brexit and East Germany. A lot of the motivations are the same.

No wonder Corbyn is a fan then.....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kjohnw said:

eek said:

kjohnw said:

:D
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Boris's WA would probably involve a Garden Bridge over the Channel.
    Despite his better campaigning and (on a good day) presentational skills, Boris shares most of the weaknesses you spelled out for May downthread. Boris too is a one man band, wants to lead without doing the hard work to build alliances or make compromises, hates scrutiny, has no experience of leading a group of strong-minded colleagues - on top of which, unlike May, he has no eye for or interest in detail and makes his judgements largely on the emotional bigger picture.

Boris's career of lone roles - journalist, mayor - has played to his strengths, but he would be a disaster leading in the current circumstances. Boris's own self image as Churchill re-born has him like Churchill harrumphing around the country trading on charm and character; people forget the lengths those with judgement went to keeping Churchill from meddling in things he didn't understand.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

eek said:

kjohnw said:

Nope we are a Parliamentary democracy. All a petition does is suggest to parliament something that should be debated - which hopefully this will be so it removes one of the 3 options from the table.

Then as I stated earlier the final 2 options can be decided upon and the people paid and elected to make decisions will have finally done their job and made a decision.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If comments from the Chief Whip are true then May surely must go .
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Of course - that's in the lap of the gods, isn't it? Or rather the EU27.
    No, it is in the lap of parliament. It would take a single day to sort this out, just a series of eliminating votes.
This discussion has been closed.