Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for the no deal Blame Game

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    HYUFD said:

No Deal will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

The problem isn't just the blame for letting No Deal happen, which will *mostly* attach to them. It's also for all the specific things that will go wrong that could theoretically have been planned for. There's no way for a government to do something like this, even with good planning and excellent people, and come out of it looking competent. And this government doesn't have good planning and excellent people, to put it mildly.

One thing will unite the nation, from left to right, brexit to remain: The government bollocksed up the implementation.

No Deal will not kill the Tories though, the majority of Tory voters and Leavers back No Deal over Remain. Indeed No Deal will likely kill UKIP beyond a few anti Islam Tommy Robinson types as they have no purpose as they have achieved everything they wanted, it is revoke which could kill the Tories as then UKIP or Farage's new Brexit Party really would clean up, unless the Tories replaced May with a hardline Leaver like Boris, Raab or McVey or Patel
    A large proportion of those supporting no-deal think it will be relatively painless, and that the warnings of that are a politically created mirage. If we crash out, the inaccuracy of that will fairly quickly become obvious, and both the Tories and the exceptionalist nationalism the'y're now identified with will take decades to recover.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    CD13 said:

I think many on here are happy for party politics to take precedence. Perhaps you're thinking too deeply.

From the outside, it's much simpler. The PM, a Remainer thrust into the role of negotiating Brexit, comes back with a deal from the EU. It's not great, but all there is on offer. The MPs who had no intention of honouring their promises, have been voting against everything to stop progress.

The PM, in a valedictory speech, tells the truth, and the MPs react like the spoilt, lying children they are. She may be incompetent (she is), not the brightest (but not in Jezza's class as dumb), but she's straightforward and honest for once.

Like slugs sprinkled with salt, the MPs thrash around, spitting defiance. At the end, she has exposed their failings and they don't like it. Schadenfreude with a vengeance.

Yes. But.

As PM she can't just say oh fuck it. It's why politicians since the beginning of time have not been drawn out by eg John Humphreys.

It is her job to keep working no matter how bleak things may look or how much she yearns to tell it like it is.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

There’s plenty of scope for blame all around. The Prime Minister has to take prime responsibility.

But you'll have to accept your share, Alastair.
    I’ve spent most of the last three years giving helpful advice to Leavers and being roundly abused for the most part. It’s a thankless task.
    I really think that a statue is in order. Maybe a virtual one, somewhere on the internet where people can pay homage.
    What a good idea! I can see it now, a portrait of me as St Sebastian. Or perhaps a pig with an apple in its mouth.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

The idea that MPs are the ones who don't know what they want astounds me. At every turn this government has attempted to frustrate "the will of the people" (how I hate that phrase) ie their elected representatives. At every point the government, who do not have a majority and lost their majority partly on this stance on Brexit, has acted like toughies and demagogues, refusing to actually work with anyone on a deal that had even a whiff of compromise. Yes, Corbyn is a complete dork for walking out of a meeting that included Umana, but at least Corbyn's proposal for how to leave the EU could probably pass the house on a freeish vote and the EU. The same is not true of May's deal. She has failed to convince people of this deal in her rhetoric (she managed to get the EU to keep us in the SM without FoM, that should be Leaver Nirvana!) and in her politicking. She is useless, and only allowed to keep going because everyone else is even more useless. If we stay in the EU, I can see Tommy Robinson MEP in our future, and I don't really see us coming back from that. Once the likes of he have that sort of platform, we'll start going down the route of Poland, Hungary and Brazil.

MP's know what they don't want, not what they do want.
    I think most MPs would be more than happy to vote for a soft Brexit; something similar to what the Swiss have. They'd happily vote for a CU. I think most MPs want to confirm the spirit of the referendum; a close leave victory that was won on the basis of arguments along the lines of "a deal will be easy", "we don't have to leave the SM or CU", "we could just join the EEA" etc. Those ideas were never considered by this government.
    Any option requires the passing of the WA, which MP's think is terrible.
    But the WA is failing because this government has only moved closer and closer to those views and politicians who advocate the hardest of Brexits. The WA could have got through, basically as is, if MPs were certain it would lead to a softer Brexit. Also, as I and others have mentioned, if the main argument behind the WA had been "The EU told us we couldn't cherry pick, but this WA gives us the best cherries, no freedom of movement but still the free market" she could have won that battle. Instead she came out and immediately allowed it to be rubbished and did nothing to sell the thing. She demanded they pass it because she had got it, not because it was any good. And as an agreement, it is fine. It is just the government is so incompetent nobody trusts them to do what is required in the next phase.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    FPT:

We are at the point where in other countries the military would be taking over or the people would be in the streets or both.

And yet we are not.

Full employment (slowly) rising wages and a good deal more sang froid than some are displaying this morning could be factors....
    ..all with the help of EU membership.
    If 'EU membership' is such a key variable, how do you account for our relative performance:

UK: 4.0% (actually now 3.9%, but same basis as other countries)
    France: 8.8%
    Italy: 10.5%
    Spain: 14.1%

Only Germany (3.2%) beats us among the big EU countries.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics
    Look at the kind of jobs offered in Britain, and the levels of income and security they offer. That will help explain why indicators such as child poverty can be so high, with such apparent high employment compared to several Continental countries.
    UK and EU child poverty are not that dissimilar - UK 27.7 (same as in 2009) and EU 24.9. (at risk of poverty <18). Some big countries are worse (Italy 32.1, Spain 31.3) others better France (22.3).

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/submitViewTableAction.do

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    eek said:

eek said:

So the petition has reached 500,000 so will need to be debated in Parliament. I wonder if that will be today, tomorrow or Monday as Bercow could prioritise it above everything else.

And that gives everyone a way out - put revoke to a vote and see who actually votes against.

Isn't there a validation process that needs to be carried out to make sure they are real people ?
    With 500,000 people the odds of 100,000 not being real is minimal especially given it's going to be 1million by close of play today.
    It's amusing to see the reaction these petitions get. A year or so back, leavers were in a froth over such a petition and giving breathless updates every hour or so, whilst remainers were downplaying it. Now the situation is reversed.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

The idea that MPs are the ones who don't know what they want astounds me. At every turn this government has attempted to frustrate "the will of the people" (how I hate that phrase) ie their elected representatives. At every point the government, who do not have a majority and lost their majority partly on this stance on Brexit, has acted like toughies and demagogues, refusing to actually work with anyone on a deal that had even a whiff of compromise. Yes, Corbyn is a complete dork for walking out of a meeting that included Umana, but at least Corbyn's proposal for how to leave the EU could probably pass the house on a freeish vote and the EU. The same is not true of May's deal. She has failed to convince people of this deal in her rhetoric (she managed to get the EU to keep us in the SM without FoM, that should be Leaver Nirvana!) and in her politicking. She is useless, and only allowed to keep going because everyone else is even more useless. If we stay in the EU, I can see Tommy Robinson MEP in our future, and I don't really see us coming back from that. Once the likes of he have that sort of platform, we'll start going down the route of Poland, Hungary and Brazil.

I think most MPs would be more than happy to vote for a soft Brexit; something similar to what the Swiss have. They'd happily vote for a CU. I think most MPs want to confirm the spirit of the referendum; a close leave victory that was won on the basis of arguments along the lines of "a deal will be easy", "we don't have to leave the SM or CU", "we could just join the EEA" etc. Those ideas were never considered by this government.
    I would still be surprised if more than half have read it, let alone understand it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,014
    edited March 2019

eek said:

eek said:

So the petition has reached 500,000 so will need to be debated in Parliament. I wonder if that will be today, tomorrow or Monday as Bercow could prioritise it above everything else.

And that gives everyone a way out - put revoke to a vote and see who actually votes against.

Isn't there a validation process that needs to be carried out to make sure they are real people ?
    With 500,000 people the odds of 100,000 not being real is minimal especially given it's going to be 1million by close of play today.
    It's amusing to see the reaction these petitions get. A year or so back, leavers were in a froth over such a petition and giving breathless updates every hour or so, whilst remainers were downplaying it. Now the situation is reversed.
    You assume I'm a remainer - I'm more restart this project with an actual plan with an agreed end point in mind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    I wish more mps did not care about the blame game but we are where we are. Time to stockpile.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

HYUFD said:

No Deal will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

The problem isn't just the blame for letting No Deal happen, which will *mostly* attach to them. It's also for all the specific things that will go wrong that could theoretically have been planned for. There's no way for a government to do something like this, even with good planning and excellent people, and come out of it looking competent. And this government doesn't have good planning and excellent people, to put it mildly.

One thing will unite the nation, from left to right, brexit to remain: The government bollocksed up the implementation.

No Deal will not kill the Tories though, the majority of Tory voters and Leavers back No Deal over Remain. Indeed No Deal will likely kill UKIP beyond a few anti Islam Tommy Robinson types as they have no purpose as they have achieved everything they wanted, it is revoke which could kill the Tories as then UKIP or Farage's new Brexit Party really would clean up, unless the Tories replaced May with a hardline Leaver like Boris, Raab or McVey or Patel
    A large proportion of those supporting no-deal think it will be relatively painless, and that the warnings of that are a politically created mirage. If we crash out, the inaccuracy of that will be become obvious fairly quickly, and both the Tories and the exceptionalist nationalism the'y're now identified with will take decades to recover.
    Much turns on whether No Deal would be as Robert Smithson expects, or if indeed, it's like Mad Max.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?...

I'm slightly surprised there weren't cabinet resignations yesterday, given that May's latest move requesting the extension from the EU was taken without even the pretence of cabinet agreement.
    It depends whether one's leadership ambitions are enhanced by staying or resigning.
    Oh you cynic. Their perception of what is in the national interest, surely?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited March 2019
    deleted - messed up blockquote
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

eek said:

eek said:

At the current rate of signups it’ll be 1m by lunchtime.
    Yes, at 2k per minute it should get there around noon.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "The trouble was at the same time she actively antagonised the people she needs to support her."

That's the issue and there's truth in that. But what you forget is the MPs have shown they'll never support her unless she supports their particular brand of deal - a recipe for the chaos that has ensued.

So, like a fair but firm teacher, she's told the class of squabbling infants what is going to happen, and she's stuck to it. They need boundaries, in old-fashioned parlance, they'd become giddy with power.

I'll admit I've been surprised by the supportive reaction.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    We need to start moving to a long extention and a rethink of the entire process very very quickly. but no one seems to be offering leadership on how to get there.

Last night must have been the last straw, we need to stop this crash, and stop it now. revoke/suspend whatever....

HELP!!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

When are the EU going to realise we hold all the cards?

When we get a Tardis and replace Cameron with a PM who doesn't fold the cards.

Doesn't matter if you held pocket Aces if you fold them.
    Surely Brexit proves that time travel is impossible?
    Maybe it does, and Doctor Strange has seen every possible outcome, and this is the best one.

Out of an infinite range of possibilities, May is the best PM, and her deal the best deal ... ;)

We're so screwed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

There’s plenty of scope for blame all around. The Prime Minister has to take prime responsibility.

I’ve spent most of the last three years giving helpful advice to Leavers and being roundly abused for the most part. It’s a thankless task.
    I really think that a statue is in order. Maybe a virtual one, somewhere on the internet where people can pay homage.
    No, it's got to be real. This guy may have some gaps in his diary.

https://twitter.com/bushrajm/status/1106299422638510085
  • Options
    fpt
    CD13 said:

I think many on here are happy for party politics to take precedence. Perhaps you're thinking too deeply.

From the outside, it's much simpler. The PM, a Remainer thrust into the role of negotiating Brexit, comes back with a deal from the EU. It's not great, but all there is on offer. The MPs who had no intention of honouring their promises, have been voting against everything to stop progress.

The PM, in a valedictory speech, tells the truth, and the MPs react like the spoilt, lying children they are. She may be incompetent (she is), not the brightest (but not in Jezza's class as dumb), but she's straightforward and honest for once.

Like slugs sprinkled with salt, the MPs thrash around, spitting defiance. At the end, she has exposed their failings and they don't like it. Schadenfreude with a vengeance.

Yes. But.

As PM she can't just say oh fuck it. It's why politicians since the beginning of time have not been drawn out by eg John Humphreys.

It is her job to keep working no matter how bleak things may look or how much she yearns to tell it like it is.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,769
    CD13 said:

With due respect, while the criticism of Parliament has some merit, your apologia for May and her deal is utter nonsense.

What it misses out is that May decided on her own red lines - notably freedom of movement - without consultation or any attempt to build consensus. The deal she came up with is the consequence of those red lines.

That she then very deliberately left it until the last moment to put before Parliament, using No Deal as blackmail in an attempt to force it through, is a mark of her arrogant control freakery, not anything to do with honesty.
    And her speech last night was completely lacking in the latter quality.
  • Options

We are heading for no deal and leaving the EU next Friday and I cannot see any way out of it. Sadly.

Would help if that gormless excuse for our leader was less of a twunt. He'll not only talk to Hamas, Hezbollah, the IRA and claim that you have to talk to people you don't like, then flounces out of a meeting because Umunna is there. A liar, an idiot and a coward of a man is "Super" Jeremy
  • Options

We are heading for no deal and leaving the EU next Friday and I cannot see any way out of it. Sadly.

Would help if that gormless excuse for our leader was less of a twunt. He'll not only talk to Hamas, Hezbollah, the IRA and claim that you have to talk to people you don't like, then flounces out of a meeting because Umunna is there. A liar, an idiot and a coward of a man is "Super" Jeremy
    Agreed.
  • Options
    How have people not resigned yet? They leak daily that they do not agree with May and think she's doing a terrible or even crazy job, sometimes even cabinet members are quoted like that. What do they think they are achieving by not quitting?
  • Options

We need to start moving to a long extention and a rethink of the entire process very very quickly. but no one seems to be offering leadership on how to get there.

Last night must have been the last straw, we need to stop this crash, and stop it now. revoke/suspend whatever....

HELP!!!

Sadly enough of you Leavers aren’t worried about the long foretold tempest.

So we’ll crash out next week with No Deal as Dave warned.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

I would still be surprised if more than half have read it, let alone understand it.
    You don't need to read something to form an opinion on it, if you're an MP.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

FPT:

We are at the point where in other countries the military would be taking over or the people would be in the streets or both.

And yet we are not.

Full employment (slowly) rising wages and a good deal more sang froid than some are displaying this morning could be factors....
    ..all with the help of EU membership.
    If 'EU membership' is such a key variable, how do you account for our relative performance:

UK: 4.0% (actually now 3.9%, but same basis as other countries)
    France: 8.8%
    Italy: 10.5%
    Spain: 14.1%

Only Germany (3.2%) beats us among the big EU countries.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics
    Look at the kind of jobs offered in Britain, and the levels of income and security they offer. That will help explain why indicators such as child poverty can be so high, with such apparent high employment compared to several Continental countries.
    UK and EU child poverty are not that dissimilar - UK 27.7 (same as in 2009) and EU 24.9. (at risk of poverty
    Yes ; and it's the most similar north european country comparisons that are most instructive. Unemployment is between slightly to significantly higher in nearly all north european neighbours, and child poverty figures nearly always lower.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No, it's got to be real. This quy may have some gaps in his diary.

LOL. When I was at school my art teacher used to take my paintings and bend them. If they cracked I got 49%, if they didn't I got 51%. And even I could probably make something that looked a little more like Ronaldo than that.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

No DeaTl will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

This is my point though. Tory voters back No Deal. JRM backs No Deal. Boris backs No Deal. Farage backs No Deal. The populist press back No Deal. They all think it's going to be fine.

So what happens when a million different things go wrong? It doesn't matter who's responsible for No Deal happening. No Deal happening was a good idea! If it's a great idea, yet all kinds of things are going wrong, it's clearly the fault of THE MOST INCOMPETENT GOVERNMENT IN HISTORY that couldn't even handle a wonderful No Deal Brexit without bollocksing everything up.

And that's even if the planning and execution is actually highly competent, which is an optimistic take.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

DavidL said:

No, it's got to be real. This guy may have some gaps in his diary.

I’m less challenging than that. An egg with a dusting of hair and you’re 95% there.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

+1
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    kle4 said:

How have people not resigned yet? They leak daily that they do not agree with May and think she's doing a terrible or even crazy job, sometimes even cabinet members are quoted like that. What do they think they are achieving by not quitting?

Keeping her from doing even worse things.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

HELP!!!

Yes, I think the only option is to unilaterally revoke until we figure out what the hell is going on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,107
    Drutt said:

It's a shame we haven't got an PB archive from the weeks before Black Wednesday. I think it would look a lot like this.

PS Hunt on R4 Today just now is definitely after the top job.

More likely it will unleash Boris if members get any say and Hancock and Javid also fancy their chances
  • Options
    Mr b,

I've left a lot out, because I'm simplifying, and sometimes, that's the best way to see it from the view of those who don't follow politics closely. That is the reaction I've seen from quite a few. I may be in a Northern echo chamber, but it's still surprising.

I've called her an incompetent politician but she may have made a fool of me too.
  • Options

HELP!!!

Unless it's sorted tomorrow we crash out next week (as we discover unexpected stumbling blocks)..
  • Options

CD13 said:

+1
    Don’t see how May positioning herself as a latter day Charles I helps matters. Why insult the people you need to vote for you?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,873
    edited March 2019
    Speaking of crashing out, the petition.parliament.uk website has started returning 502 Bad Gateway under the heavy load.

I suspect someone noticed it was a Rails website and put Chris Grayling in charge of it.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

HELP!!!

I've never wanted a no-deal. but this is getting beyond serious now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A large proportion of those supporting no-deal think it will be relatively painless, and that the warnings of that are a politically created mirage. If we crash out, the inaccuracy of that will fairly quickly become obvious, and both the Tories and the exceptionalist nationalism the'y're now identified with will take decades to recover.
    The majority of Leavers and the majority of Tories who back No Deal are as ideological and fanatical about it as Nats are about an independent Scotland, nothing will change their mind, that still gives the Tories a lot of votes even if most of the country now prefers Remain or soft Brexit.

It is revoke which would see much of the Tory Leave vote defect en masse to Farage's new Brexit Party and UKIP unless the Tories got a hardline Leaver as leader quickly
  • Options
    She's clearly using that as an excuse. If she thinks no deal is bad and that the deal is the only path away from it then she would be angry but that would not prevent her from agreeing the deal.

May's words clearly upset mps and hardened them to vote against but thats a really stupid reason to harden against it. Its so stupid I cannot believe it to be sincere even. She was never going to vote for it but wanted to pretend she thought about it. Harsh? If she regards harsh words from the PM as relevant to the matter at hand I dont think so.

But the question is when will parliament act? The deal is even further from being supported than last week, so may wont move it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Mr. Jonathan, incompetence.

Pretty straightforward. Almost the only way May is, really.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    eek said:

eek said:

I disagree, the sign up speed esp, over night was unusually fast. It was indicative of people outside the UK or automated sign ups. 200,000 between midnight and 08:00am isn't normal ?

• Options
    Its too late for a VONC. She's played a blinder, she'd be seen as a sacrificial lamb for exposing the contradictions and lies in the body politic.
  • Options

HELP!!!

It was serious in December when May ran away from the first MV and chose brinkmanship over change..
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

But how could it be worse? Unless they are all no deal backers May's actions are supposedly anathema to many of them.
  • Options
    eek said:

HELP!!!

Unless it's sorted tomorrow we crash out next week (as we discover unexpected stumbling blocks)..
    I think that's right. Is there not some Statutory Instrument that has to be laid on Monday if there is to be an extension? Time's up folks.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    kle4 said:

She's clearly using that as an excuse. If she thinks no deal is bad and that the deal is the only path away from it then she would be angry but that would not prevent her from agreeing the deal.

May's words clearly upset mps and hardened them to vote against but thats a really stupid reason to harden against it. Its so stupid I cannot believe it to be sincere even. She was never going to vote for it but wanted to pretend she thought about it. Harsh? If she regards harsh words from the PM as relevant to the matter at hand I dont think so.

But the question is when will parliament act? The deal is even further from being supported than last week, so may wont move it.
    Indeed, it was a bit like one of the ERG headcases saying that they might vote for the deal if May stood down. How did that change the basis of the deal for Britain. Childish. We have the politicians that 52% deserve.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kle4 said:

Nandy certainly comes across as excuse-fishing.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Since Cabinet responsibility seems to have broken down completely there's hardly any point in resigning. It would just be a gesture, and not much noticed in the current climate.

If May were suddenly to resign - unlikely but not impossible - we would suddenly need a proper Cabinet. So present Ministers probably ought to stay for the moment.
  • Options

HELP!!!

It really is.

I cannot see anything but an EU emergency summit next Thursday confirming no deal exit and a transition period to ease the pain, maybe one or two years
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

+1
    Don’t see how May positioning herself as a latter day Charles I helps matters. Why insult the people you need to vote for you?
    It hasn't helped, but that some mps are acting like they might have considered voting for the deal but not now is pathetic and irresponsible. If they dont want to do so there are much better reasons. And no, may being pathetic and irresponsible doesn't make them being so ok.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No DeaTl will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

This is my point though. Tory voters back No Deal. JRM backs No Deal. Boris backs No Deal. Farage backs No Deal. The populist press back No Deal. They all think it's going to be fine.

So what happens when a million different things go wrong? It doesn't matter who's responsible for No Deal happening. No Deal happening was a good idea! If it's a great idea, yet all kinds of things are going wrong, it's clearly the fault of THE MOST INCOMPETENT GOVERNMENT IN HISTORY that couldn't even handle a wonderful No Deal Brexit without bollocksing everything up.

And that's even if the planning and execution is actually highly competent, which is an optimistic take.
    No Dealers are fanatics, the right's version of Momentum or Cybernats, the vast majority of them are not going to change their mind however it turns out as they are ideologically committed to Brexit no matter what.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    CD13 said:

I don't like May or agree with her much, but she does seem to be one of the few people in Parliament actually trying to deliver on the referendum. May was a Remainer but she has clearly put her own views aside to do what she feels she is oblidged to do; if only the other MPs felt the same way we might make some progress. Instead we have extremist and obstructionist MPs throwing a whole tool chest of spanners into the works, and then turning around and complaining about the lack of progress.
  • Options
    Mr L,

The blame game is seldom productive, but she's leaving anyway, so it's payback time.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

eek said:

There is a validation process.

You can be sure it isn't Russian bots. They don't want revoke!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HELP!!!

It was serious in December when May ran away from the first MV and chose brinkmanship over change..
    Yes, that was seriously contemptuous, and all the alarm bells should have rung then.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

HELP!!!

Yes, I think the only option is to unilaterally revoke until we figure out what the hell is going on.
    Sorry to hear about your bad day yesterday.
  • Options

Speaking of crashing out, the petition.parliament.uk website has started returning 502 Bad Gateway under the heavy load.

I suspect someone noticed it was a Rails website and put Chris Grayling in charge of it.

Maybe Russian bots.
  • Options
    Yep, another deception from Leave. It looks as though Barak Obama was right after all
  • Options
    Perhaps it’s all worked out. Next week she will call MV3, lose, resign, and advise the Queen to appoint Ken Clarke as PM.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

eek said:

eek said:

I disagree, the sign up speed esp, over night was unusually fast. It was indicative of people outside the UK or automated sign ups. 200,000 between midnight and 08:00am isn't normal ?

Yawn. Anything to discredit. I’ve been sent the link by 4 different people this morning, all not normally engaged by politics.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Britain was in fact closer to bankruptcy before the year of 1976 and the much-mythologised visit to the IMF, but I appreciate the general point.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2019

HELP!!!

Well that’s what was likely to happen the moment Leave won, then amplified by No Deal is better than a bad deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

+1
    It hasn't helped, but that some mps are acting like they might have considered voting for the deal but not now is pathetic and irresponsible. If they dont want to do so there are much better reasons. And no, may being pathetic and irresponsible doesn't make them being so ok.
    Lots of MP's have said they might vote for the WA, before finding reasons not to.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nothing on the Dutch provincial elections ?
  • Options
    Will next Friday be known as "Black Friday"? or maybe it will be "Black Saturday"?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    DavidL said:

eek said:

HELP!!!

I think that's right. Is there not some Statutory Instrument that has to be laid on Monday if there is to be an extension? Time's up folks.
    If the deal is rejected, I think the EU will offer a choice of long delay or no deal. There will be a Parliamentary majority for the former, but whetherr it can be achieved...?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited March 2019
    Barnesian said:

eek said:

Tbf I think they want chaos which several more years of rancorous can kicking would provide. On that basis the Russian bot operations seem several orders of magnitude more efficient than their poisoning defectors set up.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Will next Friday be known as "Black Friday"? or maybe it will be "Black Saturday"?

Or Independence Day.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Perhaps it’s all worked out. Next week she will call MV3, lose, resign, and advise the Queen to appoint Ken Clarke as PM.

Lidington please
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The majority of Leavers and the majority of Tories who back No Deal are as ideological and fanatical about it as Nats are about an independent Scotland, nothing will change their mind, that still gives the Tories a lot of votes even if most of the country now prefers Remain or soft Brexit.

It is revoke which would see much of the Tory Leave vote defect en masse to Farage's new Brexit Party and UKIP unless the Tories got a hardline Leaver as leader quickly
    You are right about Revoke, but the Party would recover in due course. I'm less sure about No Deal. If it turns out bad, the Party may never recover.

Of course if No Deal turns out just dandy, nobody has a problem.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

+1
    Lots of MP's have said they might vote for the WA, before finding reasons not to.
    Problem is that May never provided the political cover for people to vote for her deal. Asking a Labour MP to do that is a big deal, they need a non partisan atmosphere (so far as possible) and something specific to point at if they do that. May made things very partisan from day 1 and apart from a ew clumsy bribes offered no air cover to potential switchers. Now she has actively antagonised them.

The MV should have been a free vote and she should have taken some amendments on workers rights.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Indeed, it was a bit like one of the ERG headcases saying that they might vote for the deal if May stood down. How did that change the basis of the deal for Britain. Childish. We have the politicians that 52% deserve.
    Well maybe he thought that he could swallow the WA if he was assured that May was not going to be let anywhere near the next and more important stage in the negotiations with the EU. Or maybe it was just childish spite, who knows?

What is clear beyond any doubt is that we really cannot have May dealing with our final deal with the EU. Her incapacity to build a consensus on anything has been disastrous and cannot be repeated.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

eek said:

Who knows what goes on in the mind of Vladimir? Revoke could be a good result for him, it might destroy the British Conservative Party and put Comrade Corbyn in power. Brexit is the gift that just keeps giving for the Kremlin, a win-win, whatever the result. He must be mightily pleased!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HELP!!!

Yes, that was seriously contemptuous, and all the alarm bells should have rung then.
    Every single Tory MP that voted they had confidence in her after that is to blame for May changing nothing since.
  • Options

DavidL said:

eek said:

HELP!!!

If the deal is rejected, I think the EU will offer a choice of long delay or no deal. There will be a Parliamentary majority for the former, but whetherr it can be achieved...?
    Long deal depends on the UK Parliament laying legislation by 11th April. I cannot see so no long deal
  • Options
    eek said:

alex. said:

Lidington please
    I think only Clarke could get the cross party support necessary. And he foresaw it all. Voted against triggering article 50, and don’t forget “Theresa is a bloody difficult woman!”
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

HELP!!!

It really is.

I cannot see anything but an EU emergency summit next Thursday confirming no deal exit and a transition period to ease the pain, maybe one or two years
    The EU have been warning us at regular intervals that if there's no deal there will be no transition period.

Do you think they are bluffing, or were you not aware of it?
  • Options
    eek said:

alex. said:

Lidington please
    Ken Clarke please, but as President for Life.
  • Options

Nothing on the Dutch provincial elections ?

Holland has a big populist right voting block, which sometimes swings behind the Liberals, but sometimes shifts further right.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

DavidL said:

eek said:

HELP!!!

Long deal depends on the UK Parliament laying legislation by 11th April. I cannot see so no long deal
    So you think it will be no deal now? You always said that was impossible.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Parliament petition page has collapsed
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr b,

I've left a lot out, because I'm simplifying, and sometimes, that's the best way to see it from the view of those who don't follow politics closely. That is the reaction I've seen from quite a few. I may be in a Northern echo chamber, but it's still surprising.

I've called her an incompetent politician but she may have made a fool of me too.

You've also left out the point that polling shows that her deal is less popular than either No Deal or Remain - so claiming to be speaking on behalf of 'the people' is balls.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably opt for her deal over no deal. But I'd want you sent to prison for putting a gun to my head.
  • Options

HELP!!!

Well that’s what was likely to happen the moment Leave won, then amplified by No Deal is better than a bad deal.
    If it happens May will go down as one of the most infamous PMs in history. Her deal will be seen as like Chamberlain's "piece of paper"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?

May is in her charmless way looking to put together a majority of remainers and the few of her party that still pay any attention to the whip. She seems unconcerned that the majority of her own party may well vote against her. That leadership challenge by the ERG is looking one of the stupidest steps in an incredibly crowded and competitive field but we must now be in her final days, I am tempted to say hours.

Was it though?

If the ERG hadn’t shot early wouldn’t the Remainer wing be looking to no confidence her now that she has come out for No Deal?

But she’s secure so can drive through Brexit unless the HoC no confidences the government as a whole
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

HELP!!!

It really is.

The transition period is part of the deal. With no deal the EU will put in place measures to protect itself, as we can too, to the extent feasible. Personally I would not expect no deal chaos to last for more than a few months, because the UK will be forced back to the table quite quickly.
    But the scary thing is that it's really impossible to have a clear view on how bad no deal will be. It might turn out to be relatively painless, or it could be really, really bad. Anyone who says they can predict it is fooling themselves. As a risk averse person who knows that many people are not well placed to weather the economic turmoil I would really prefer to avoid no deal. In the meantime we should follow the usual maxim of preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

They must have never had so much traffic.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Petition is down "for maintenance".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

DavidL said:

eek said:

HELP!!!

Even if the EU offer it, how can anyone make Theresa May request it?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Tbf I think they want chaos which several more years of rancorous can kicking would provide. On that basis the Russian bot operations seem several orders of magnitude more efficient than their poisoning defectors set up.
    We really don't need Russian assistance to have years of rancorous can-kicking and chaos. We are jolly good at that without any external factors required.
  • Options

Fenman said:

They must have never had so much traffic.
    Everyone has arrived in the office and if they didn't know about it before someone has told them now.

And as stated earlier if this was a project you would be binning it and starting again which is what Revoke is...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Petition is down "for maintenance".

May unplugged it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

It will be as St Nigel's Day (after your namesake).

I think the ERG have almost won. Amazing, really, as there is a clear & overwhelming majority against No Deal.

And so, the blame really belongs to that majority who could have organised & collaborated but did not.

Of course May is a prickly character, as is Corby. But, it seems that (in both parties), there were plenty of MPs happy to blame each other, and score points off each other rather than work together. Even otherwise sensible MPs like Lisa Nandy have been blown off course (death of liberal democracy claim is the most ridiculous I have heard in some time).

Myself, I am sanguine, as I think we will end up in 5 years time in a loose association with the EU. Maybe it has to come through a hard Brexit and bounce back,rather than being achieved first bounce.

I think, once we have left, then we will not be returning.
  • Options

DavidL said:

eek said:

HELP!!!

It is not obvious there is a pathway in the time available. Even if you assume the official collapse of this government I don't see how an alternative is put in place in time. The choices May has given are deal or no deal. The short extension is a diversion into a cul-de-sac.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Topping

Cheers chap. I’ll try to pick up the pieces today.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    HYUFD said:

They support the *idea* of No Deal. As Edmund says, even if they still think no deal was the best option, they will probably say "well the chaos was because May didn't plan and wanted to discredit Brexit" or some such.
This discussion has been closed.