Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John Hickenlooper, my 270/1 longshot for WH2020, becomes the l

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    On a more cheerful note: some undiscovered Steve Richards salty goodness:

The Cameron Years. Political columnist and broadcaster Steve Richards presents the concluding part of a series looking back on David Cameron's dramatic years in power and exploring his legacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09kxt2g
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ly26m
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ntss5
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    daodao said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine the furore if a subset of parents wanted to take their children out of a school because it's teaching their children about Islam.

Plenty of EDL type parents would have no problem with that
    The difference is the school almost certainly wouldn't have backed down in that scenario and would have received support from MPs, councillors, the media etc etc who would have openly criticised the parents.

Given polling has suggested the majority of UK Muslims 52% support making homosexuality illegal (compared to only 5% of the wider population) and only 18% agreed it should be legal (the remaining 30% 'had no opinion'?) surely this needs to be tackled via education. If that is not happening how will those views change?

Its quite one thing to morally disapprove of someone else's life choices or sexual orientation - quite another to think they should be locked up because of them!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
    Homosexuality is illegal in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia and Sudan which are Muslim majority, the same poll also had 39% agree that “wives should always obey their husbands”, compared with 5% of the country as a whole. Two-thirds (66%) did say they completely condemned people who took part in stoning adulterers, and a further 13% condemned them to some extent, so 21% backed stoning adulterers. Nearly a third (31%) thought it was acceptable for a British Muslim man to have more than one wife, compared with 8% of the wider population.

The Muslim year currently is 1441 and in some respects many Islamic nations are where we were at that time on the Gregorian Calendar

The parents in Birmingham were doing what they think is best for their children, and have every right to stop them being inculcated with what they believe are decadent ideas.
    Pretty sure society as a whole is quite willing to decide people, including parents, do not have every right to do any number of things.
    There is a difference between providing information that there are people who are homosexual, who should be treated with toleration, and actively endorsing/promoting such lifestyles to the children of people who regard them as an abomination.
    Do you regard them as an abomination?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    daodao said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine the furore if a subset of parents wanted to take their children out of a school because it's teaching their children about Islam.

The difference is the school almost certainly wouldn't have backed down in that scenario and would have received support from MPs, councillors, the media etc etc who would have openly criticised the parents.

Given polling has suggested the majority of UK Muslims 52% support making homosexuality illegal (compared to only 5% of the wider population) and only 18% agreed it should be legal (the remaining 30% 'had no opinion'?) surely this needs to be tackled via education. If that is not happening how will those views change?

Its quite one thing to morally disapprove of someone else's life choices or sexual orientation - quite another to think they should be locked up because of them!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
    Homosexuality is illegal in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia and Sudan which are Muslim majority, the same poll also had 39% agree that “wives should always obey their husbands”, compared with 5% of the country as a whole. Two-thirds (66%) did say they completely condemned people who took part in stoning adulterers, and a further 13% condemned them to some extent, so 21% backed stoning adulterers. Nearly a third (31%) thought it was acceptable for a British Muslim man to have more than one wife, compared with 8% of the wider population.

The Muslim year currently is 1441 and in some respects many Islamic nations are where we were at that time on the Gregorian Calendar

The parents in Birmingham were doing what they think is best for their children, and have every right to stop them being inculcated with what they believe are decadent ideas.
    Pretty sure society as a whole is quite willing to decide people, including parents, do not have every right to do any number of things.
    There is a difference between providing information that there are people who are homosexual, who should be treated with toleration, and actively endorsing/promoting such lifestyles to the children of people who regard them as an abomination.
    No there isn't.

Either homosexuality is acceptable, or it is not.

You seem to be suggesting that it's OK, so long as you don't tell anyone you're gay.

If you disapprove of homosexuality, go campaign to get it criminalised. If you fail, well bad luck.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Separately, a US talk show host has described Steve Hilton as "quite the stupidest person I've had on the show".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    rcs1000 said:

Separately, a US talk show host has described Steve Hilton as "quite the stupidest person I've had on the show".

Wait until they invite the man who hired him...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    rcs1000 said:

15% per district is not the same as 15% per state.

Sure, like I said the district-wide delegates (iiuc most of them) have a 15% floor per district, and the state-wide delegates have a 15% floor for the state. (Then there are super-delegates, but they don't count unless the first vote is inconclusive.)

So a candidate polling 10% isn't always going to come out with zero, but depending how lumpy their support is, they'd have to be very lucky to get anything near 10%.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT

Well done @Black_Rook - good to see someone calling out those homophobic parents in Birmingham and the damning silence that has followed. Hat tip also to @Cyclefree for being supportive :smile:

I guess the problem with gay people is that we’re stuck on about 2% of the population. Ken Livingstone and George Galloway made the simple calculation that they can appeal to a much larger (and growing) constituency by throwing us under the bus. Literally no MPs have spoken up for gay people on this issue - just a load of handwaving and saying that ‘consultation’ is required.

No consultation is required at all. If these parents want to take their children out of school because it’s teaching their children that gay people are normal and that there is no need to hate or fear them, they can pay for their own schools.

Why imagine a furore about something that hasn’t happened and won’t happen?

In any case, refusing to let one’s children learn about a major world religion is also indefensible.
    Indeed, as a humanities academic study.

Brainwashing children with religious *beliefs* before they are old enough to form their own opinions is indefensible.
    I don’t think it’s possible to rahodox will make up 30% of the entire population.
    Israel is a tiny country. Religio-agnostic-secular-nones-rising-religion

Not being religious is not the same as being an outright atheist
    Indeed. And where do Buddhists fit in?
    They are reincarnated so probably go through phases of atheism before becoming religious again!
    I practice meditation every day attend a gathering at least once a week, and go on retreat monthly if I can. That would make me very religious by most people's standards, certainly in the UK.
    I am also an atheist.
    As well as a person of faith.
    Buddhism is a religion so if you practice Buddhism you are religious by definition, even Buddhists have gods even if they do not believe in a creator deity
    I tend to agree with you. However, may I gently suggest you stay off Buddhist chat boards!!!! Religion/ not religion? Do we have God realms/ are they merely emanating from our root mind?
    You cause enough controversy on here my friend ;).
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    daodao said:

The current Jewish year is 5779, but the Jewish view towards homosexuality is also similar to that of Islam. It is codified in Leviticus chapters 18 and 20, where such practices are defined as an abomination and deserving of the ultimate penalty of death.

Much of the hostility to Jews and Muslims is because they have different moral values and beliefs that are an anathema to current Western attitudes. The parents in Birmingham were doing what they think is best for their children, and have every right to stop them being inculcated with what they believe are decadent ideas.

I can't speak for Islam, but on Judaism, that's an extremely one-sided view. No such death penalty has been carried out in Judaism for probably 2,000 years, and the modern state of Israel affords far more rights to gay people than any its neighbours, and is ahead of plenty of other countries, including several in Europe. Attitudes among certain communities are, it's fair to say, more variable, but on the whole things are moving in the right direction.

As for the UK, again there are some holdouts, but generally the situation is totally unrecognisable from where it was a decade ago, never mind centuries. The Chief Rabbi last year produced a guide on how to deal with a lot of the more common situations in schools - link below, if anyone's interested - and it was (to my relief) extremely well received and generally recognised as a huge and important step forward.

In short, I don't believe you'd find any moral value or belief in the mainstream UK Jewish community that could be described as anathema to current Western attitudes.

https://chiefrabbi.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/The-Wellbeing-of-LGBT-Pupils-A-Guide-for-Orthodox-Jewish-Schools.pdf
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT

Well done @Black_Rook - good to see someone calling out those homophobic parents in Birmingham and the damning y for their own schools.

In any case, refusing to let one’s children learn about a major world religion is also indefensible.

Brainwashing children with religious *beliefs* before they are old enough to form their own opinions is indefensible.
    I don’t think it’s possible to rahodox will make up 30% of the entire population.

They are reincarnated so probably go through phases of atheism before becoming religious again!
    I practice meditation every day attend a gathering at least once a week, and go on retreat monthly if I can. That would make me very religious by most people's standards, certainly in the UK.
    I am also an atheist.
    Buddhism is a religion so if you practice Buddhism you are religious by definition, even Buddhists have gods even if they do not believe in a creator deity
    I tend to agree with you. However, may I gently suggest you stay off Buddhist chat boards!!!! Religion/ not religion? Do we have God realms/ are they merely emanating from our root mind?
    Agreed, off to bed, do not have any more time for in depth discussion of Buddhism and religion unfortunately, doing a training session in the morning
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited March 2019
    rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

No there isn't.

You seem to be suggesting that it's OK, so long as you don't tell anyone you're gay.

If you disapprove of homosexuality, go campaign to get it criminalised. If you fail, well bad luck.
    I am arguing in favour of toleration/decriminalisation, and against persecution, but also against active promotion/endorsement.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

No there isn't.

Talking in general (not about this subject), there are lots of things in life that are on the border between being acceptable and unacceptable, and aren't obviously one or the other.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

The current Jewish year is 5779, but the Jewish view towards homosexuality is also similar to that of Islam. It is codified in Leviticus chapters 18 and 20, where such practices are defined as an abomination and deserving of the ultimate penalty of death.

Much of the hostility to Jews and Muslims is because they have different moral values and beliefs that are an anathema to current Western attitudes. The parents in Birmingham were doing what they think is best for their children, and have every right to stop them being inculcated with what they believe are decadent ideas.
    Homosexuality is fully legal in Israel and Israel also has civil partnerships
    I'm not sure about the latter. I think they will recognise civil marriages if performed abroad, but there is a lot of resistance to the idea of introducing them internally.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT

Well done @Black_Rook - good to see someone calling out those homophobic parents in Birmingham and the damning y for their own schools.

I am also an atheist.
    Agreed, off to bed, do not have any more time for in depth discussion of Buddhism and religion unfortunately, doing a training session in the morning
    Sleep well. Good luck with the training.
  • Options
    The other thing about the delegates mainly coming from congressional districts is that there increasingly few Democrats in rural areas, but IIUC the weighting that gives places with more Democrats more delegates than places with few delegates is done by state. So the vote of a rural Democrat will count much more heavily than an urban Democrat.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

The current Jewish year elieve are decadent ideas.
    Homosexuality is fully legal in Israel and Israel also has civil partnerships
    I'm not sure about the latter. I think they will recognise civil marriages if performed abroad, but there is a lot of resistance to the idea of introducing them internally.
    Israel has had unregistered cohabitation for same sex couples since 1994 as well as spousal and survivorship benefits but yes not full civil marriages as such

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_cohabitation_in_Israel

• Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

_Anazina_ said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT

I am also an atheist.
    Sleep well. Good luck with the training.
    Thanks, although I do a training session every Tuesday morning
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    rcs1000 said:

Is that code for he likes Trump and is a conservative - and I am not so he must be stupid?

I find it hard to believe that a chat show host who has Hollywood and other celebs on hasn't interviewed plenty of stupid people in his/her time?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    rcs1000 said:

Which talk show host?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

"Homosexuality is fully legal in Israel and Israel also has civil partnerships

I'm not sure about the latter. I think they will recognise civil marriages if performed abroad, but there is a lot of resistance to the idea of introducing them internally"

Israel recognises same sex marriages from abroad and allows common law marriages (aka civil unions) which give pretty much the same legal rights as marriage - the only nation in the whole of Asia that grants that right nationwide according to this analysis. Cambodia, Japan and Taiwan allow civil unions in some regions/cities but not nationwide. The Phillipines under Duerte - who favours same sex marriage now is moving towards legalising same sex marriage and Thailand is considering it but that is as far as it goes it seems.

Bearing in mind 60% of the world's population lives in Asia that is rather depressing. But Israel gets zero credit for being the most LGBT friendly nation in the entire continent.!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Asia
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    daodao said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

No there isn't.

I am arguing in favour of toleration/decriminalisation, and against persecution, but also against active promotion/endorsement.
    I am not prepared to be "tolerated."

You cannot "promote" homosexuality - that shows a massive misunderstanding of what it is to be a homosexual.

So keep you ignorance to yourself. I sure as hell will not tolerate it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    daodao said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

No there isn't.

I don't think it is accessible to "promotion/endorsement" in that way. I am not going to climb on a dick just because somebody tells me it's a good idea.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    rcs1000 said:

Which one (talk show host)?

Incidentally, doesn't that epithet apply to Andy Dick, the man who gave cocaine to a recovering addict who went on to shoot her husband dead, then groped Ivanka Trump and got thrown off a talk show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dick
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    daodao said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

No there isn't.

Ah the campaign for reintroduction of section 28 begins here, and begins now !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Dura_Ace said:

daodao said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

No there isn't.

I don't think it is accessible to "promotion/endorsement" in that way. I am not going to climb on a dick just because somebody tells me it's a good idea.
    What if I told you it was a really good idea? ;)
  • Options
    Mobile phones will never catch on, as this video shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1LcU07FMA
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Is it true that Liam Fox has claimed £19,000 in expenses for mobile,phone charges?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

brendan16 said:

"Homosexuality is illegal in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia and Sudan"

Not just illegal - but subject to the death penalty in those nations and another 8.

The death penalty even remains on the statute books for Muslim gay men in Qatar - yet not a peep of protest in that regard about them staging the 2022 world cup. Yet people are arguing for a boycott of this year's Eurovision as its being held in Israel!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/29/british-cultural-figures-urge-bbc-to-boycott-eurovision-in-israel

I used to go on a football forum and there were plenty of complaints when Qatar won the bid. Admittedly many of those were around loads of other issues but the countries attitude towards women and homosexuals were brought up in discussions.

If you swapped the events around I could still see complaints both ways but football is so widely loved I couldn't see a boycott happening or having much effect. Much like with the Qatar world cup I wouldn't be surprised to see less travelling from England but this will be for a host of reasons which homophobia would just be one.

Travelling to the WC in Qatar is going to be a nightmare, unless you’re a huge fan of taking a seven-hour football charter flight, followed by a bus from the airport to the stadium, watch the match then head straight back to the airport for a seven-hour flight home.

There’s barely going to be enough hotel rooms on the island for the teams and officials, and they’ve fallen out with all their neighbours.
  • Options

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Not when they live in a non Muslim country. I am extremely relaxed about Muslims or any other religion coming to settle in the UK. But they have to obey the laws and cultural mores of the country they are settling in. I expect no less when I live or work in an Islamic country even when I feel their laws or customs are wrong.
    Well quite. When in Rome. Amazing how many British tourists (and expatriate workers) make idiots of themselves over foreign laws and customs though.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2019
    Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Not just illegal - but subject to the death penalty in those nations and another 8.

The death penalty even remains on the statute books for Muslim gay men in Qatar - yet not a peep of protest in that regard about them staging the 2022 world cup. Yet people are arguing for a boycott of this year's Eurovision as its being held in Israel!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/29/british-cultural-figures-urge-bbc-to-boycott-eurovision-in-israel

I used to go on a football forum and there were plenty of complaints when Qatar won the bid. Admittedly many of those were around loads of other issues but the countries attitude towards women and homosexuals were brought up in discussions.

If you swapped the events around I could still see complaints both ways but football is so widely loved I couldn't see a boycott happening or having much effect. Much like with the Qatar world cup I wouldn't be surprised to see less travelling from England but this will be for a host of reasons which homophobia would just be one.

Travelling to the WC in Qatar is going to be a nightmare, unless you’re a huge fan of taking a seven-hour football charter flight, followed by a bus from the airport to the stadium, watch the match then head straight back to the airport for a seven-hour flight home.

There’s barely going to be enough hotel rooms on the island for the teams and officials, and they’ve fallen out with all their neighbours.
    Even before all these neighbour issues really flared up it was going to involve a lot of travel for fans and teams but the whole thing has gone to a ridiculous level.

The main argument in favour I remember at the time which I could get on board with was spreading the tournament around the globe and (depending on how you divide the world) there was some argument for one in the Middle East. Although if we are going to ignore politics (democracy, gay rights etc.) then Iran or Saudi Arabia (if we exclude Turkey as European) seem more obvious choices as actual footballing countries who have been somewhat competitive at football for a while and I assume far more of a domestic football league than Qatar. Also they actually have the basic capacity to hold the event in terms of infrastructure and stadiums*.

*Iran's wouldn't be great but I'm sure the Saudi's would spend huge amounts making some lovely ones.

Admittedly they didn't actually bid but an ME world cup should have waited for a more realistic bidder.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Endillion said:

daodao said:

I can't speak for Islam, but on Judaism, that's an extremely one-sided view. No such death penalty has been carried out in Judaism for probably 2,000 years, and the modern state of Israel affords far more rights to gay people than any its neighbours, and is ahead of plenty of other countries, including several in Europe. Attitudes among certain communities are, it's fair to say, more variable, but on the whole things are moving in the right direction.

As for the UK, again there are some holdouts, but generally the situation is totally unrecognisable from where it was a decade ago, never mind centuries. The Chief Rabbi last year produced a guide on how to deal with a lot of the more common situations in schools - link below, if anyone's interested - and it was (to my relief) extremely well received and generally recognised as a huge and important step forward.

In short, I don't believe you'd find any moral value or belief in the mainstream UK Jewish community that could be described as anathema to current Western attitudes.

https://chiefrabbi.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/The-Wellbeing-of-LGBT-Pupils-A-Guide-for-Orthodox-Jewish-Schools.pdf
    "In short, I don't believe you'd find any moral value or belief in the mainstream UK Jewish community that could be described as anathema to current Western attitudes."

Whilst that's very good, and I agree in general, the situation with the Beth Din and divorce is in some cases messy and nasty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-jewish-orthodox-councils-institutionalising-marital-captivity-and-upholding-discriminatory-a6803256.html

I expect TheJezziah to be along any moment to say that I'm anti-Semitic for saying this... :)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Not when they live in a non Muslim country. I am extremely relaxed about Muslims or any other religion coming to settle in the UK. But they have to obey the laws and cultural mores of the country they are settling in. I expect no less when I live or work in an Islamic country even when I feel their laws or customs are wrong.
    Well quite. When in Rome. Amazing how many British tourists (and expatriate workers) make idiots of themselves over foreign laws and customs though.
    Considering how many British tourists visit foreign countries, the numbers are actually quite small IMO.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

On topic, did I mention that I tipped Hickenlooper as well, back in October 2017?

(Although, I think TSE might have tipped him even earlier, damn him!)

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/10/21/tips-for-wh2020-bullock-hickenlooper-and-trump/

No massive prizes for being first if the same odds (210/1) were available yesterday...

• Options
    r
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

kle4 said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

No there isn't.

Talking in general (not about this subject), there are lots of things in life that are on the border between being acceptable and unacceptable, and aren't obviously one or the other.
    We don’t describe those as abominations, and mean it, though.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited March 2019
    At one protest parents held signs that read ‘say no to promoting of homosexuality and LGBT ways of life to our children’, ‘stop exploiting children’s innocence’, and ‘education not indoctrination’.

So that's RE off the syllabus then.....

but no.....

‘Up to the end of this term, we will not be delivering any No Outsiders lessons in our long term year curriculum plan, as this half term has already been blocked for religious education (RE).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6771317/Primary-school-AXES-anti-homophobia-lessons-protests-Muslim-parents.html
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

At one protest parents held signs that read ‘say no to promoting of homosexuality and LGBT ways of life to our children’, ‘stop exploiting children’s innocence’, and ‘education not indoctrination’.

but no.....

‘Up to the end of this term, we will not be delivering any No Outsiders lessons in our long term year curriculum plan, as this half term has already been blocked for religious education (RE).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6771317/Primary-school-AXES-anti-homophobia-lessons-protests-Muslim-parents.html

30 years ago the DM would have been on the other side.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Great stuff: "we would still have a vote and representation in EU institutions and the European Parliament" - now if only there was a way to make that benefit permanent...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Foxy said:

but no.....

So would much (most?) of the population.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40743946
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Not the toughest name in the Democrat field.. not by far, still weird though!

No, although a Hickenlooper-Klobuchar ticket would need either very big boards or very small font.

If elected, Hickenlooper would have the longest name of any of the 45 presidents (currently Washington and Eisenhower at 10 letters a piece, and would be only the second four-syllable president, after Ike).
    You could make some great internet passwords out of that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited March 2019

Foxy said:

but no.....

One certainly couldn't (?wouldn't) tell the type of jokes about homosexuals today of the type that were common when 'I were a lad'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Backed him, but just at 81.

Worrying times. Will my 250/1 tip on Verstappen be toppled? [I'd probably start adding a 'within 2 weeks' caveat to any bragging :p ].
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Great stuff: "we would still have a vote and representation in EU institutions and the European Parliament" - now if only there was a way to make that benefit permanent...
    What makes you think all “Brexiteers” actually want to Leave?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Considering how many British tourists visit foreign countries, the numbers are actually quite small IMO.
    I usually try and avoid British tourists abroad like the plague.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

I've met one or two real oddballs among them.
  • Options
    The party has form under The JC when it comes to data. I emailed THE PARTY to register for information on several leadership candidates in 2015. And then for several years received emails from Jeremy for Labour Ltd (Trading as Momemtum) who claimed I had given permission. The Corbyn machine simply stole data on a wholesale basis (as revealed in that Dispatches undercover film a couple of years ago).

So now they have a problem. They need someone seen as serious and competent so they hire a former Lord Chancellor. His first step is to highlight that Formby is either a liar or incompetent when it comes to GDPR - either way she shows how she is a political stooge first and Chief Exec leading a party organisation second.

Falconer then goes straight for the jugular - show me the emails. Except that they can't. Sounds like a decent number will freely interchange Labour/Momentum/Unite email addresses for Labour business (after all, whats the difference...?). He will push. They will show him a few. Then he will quit.

Which leads to the purpose of the exercise. Hire a leading Blairite. Have him dig a little, make him quit claiming sklulduggery, then denounce him and anyone who ever voted Labour as a Tory stooge spreading LIES and FAKE NEWS about the Beloved JC. Falconer has been set up as Proof that there is a dirty Smear Campaign against poor The Jeremy proving once and for all that a deep level network of influence is at work. I have no doubt that Lord Levy's name will be thrown around on Facebook as it always is when cultists try and show they aren't anti-semitic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    This is the working prototype of the new leadership election rules that Team Corbyn want to bring into the Labour Party.
  • Options

Foxy said:

but no.....

We've discussed this on here before, but it's amazing how far we've come towards tolerance and equal rights for all sorts of groups.

It's odd to think back at all the controversies: from things like gay rights, to female CofE priests. People declared disaster at every move, but the changes have hardly broken society.
  • Options

The party has form under The JC when it comes to data. I emailed THE PARTY to register for information on several leadership candidates in 2015. And then for several years received emails from Jeremy for Labour Ltd (Trading as Momemtum) who claimed I had given permission. The Corbyn machine simply stole data on a wholesale basis (as revealed in that Dispatches undercover film a couple of years ago).

So now they have a problem. They need someone seen as serious and competent so they hire a former Lord Chancellor. His first step is to highlight that Formby is either a liar or incompetent when it comes to GDPR - either way she shows how she is a political stooge first and Chief Exec leading a party organisation second.

Falconer then goes straight for the jugular - show me the emails. Except that they can't. Sounds like a decent number will freely interchange Labour/Momentum/Unite email addresses for Labour business (after all, whats the difference...?). He will push. They will show him a few. Then he will quit.

Which leads to the purpose of the exercise. Hire a leading Blairite. Have him dig a little, make him quit claiming sklulduggery, then denounce him and anyone who ever voted Labour as a Tory stooge spreading LIES and FAKE NEWS about the Beloved JC. Falconer has been set up as Proof that there is a dirty Smear Campaign against poor The Jeremy proving once and for all that a deep level network of influence is at work. I have no doubt that Lord Levy's name will be thrown around on Facebook as it always is when cultists try and show they aren't anti-semitic.
    For God's sake, Vince, grow a pair and get out there.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

No, although a Hickenlooper-Klobuchar ticket would need either very big boards or very small font.

If elected, Hickenlooper would have the longest name of any of the 45 presidents (currently Washington and Eisenhower at 10 letters a piece, and would be only the second four-syllable president, after Ike).
    Klobuchar beating Hickenlooper 7 to 4 in the critical haveibeenpwned password mindshare primary
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Foxy said:
    ;-)
  • Options
    "The government should treat knife crime with the same urgency as terrorism, a former Home Office minister has said.

Labour MP Vernon Coaker said Cobra, the government's emergency committee, should meet to respond to the "national crisis"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47415673
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Klobuchar beating Hickenlooper 7 to 4 in the critical haveibeenpwned password mindshare primary
    Wonderful names these Yanks have..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

So the latest conspiracy theory is that CF is being hired to prove there's a conspiracy?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

We do our best to keep out of your way too.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited March 2019

I don’t understand why nothing came of the outrageous use of voting intention data carried out by canvasssing teams over many years was accessed to deny membership in the £3 new member infiltration panic.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    RoyalBlue said:

FPT

Well done @Black_Rook - good to see someone calling out those homophobic parents in Birmingham and the damning silence that has followed. Hat tip also to @Cyclefree for being supportive :smile:

I guess the problem with gay people is that we’re stuck on about 2% of the population. Ken Livingstone and George Galloway made the simple calculation that they can appeal to a much larger (and growing) constituency by throwing us under the bus. Literally no MPs have spoken up for gay people on this issue - just a load of handwaving and saying that ‘consultation’ is required.

No consultation is required at all. If these parents want to take their children out of school because it’s teaching their children that gay people are normal and that there is no need to hate or fear them, they can pay for their own schools.

Completely agree. I was deeply depressed by that story for a variety of reasons not least of which is that it appears that the lessons of Rotherham and sundry other places have not been learned. I have no problem with immigrants who wish to be British. I have a real problem with those who want to have all the benefits of living here but maintain the culture that they had on the sub continent and who treat gays, women and anyone else they think less worthy badly.

When will we learn? We test them for nationality on obscure pieces of British history and landmarks and don't test them on the respect, decency and tolerance that are central to our own culture. The school was completely wrong to cave in.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Worrying times. Will my 250/1 tip on Verstappen be toppled? [I'd probably start adding a 'within 2 weeks' caveat to any bragging :p ].

Extraordinarily unlikely, I think.

Hickenlooper is running as a bipartisan (as RCS1k pointed out, he considered a joint ticket with Kasich at one point). Not only isn’t there a market for that at the moment in the Democratic party, it is not even a coherent strategy for governing in the imaginary situation where he actually got elected.

The Republican party in Washington went full on scorched earth during Obama’s presidency, and there are very few indeed in either House or Senate whose first principle in dealing with a Democratic administration is not legislative sabotage. Democrats have responded accordingly, and that is not going to change until after Trump becomes an unpleasant memory.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

If Lord Falconer quits, his reasons for doing so will give just the coverage that many, many MPs and councillors will need to depart. If that includes Watson, I can believe it will be enough to make them the official Opposition. Question then becomes: who do the unions fund?
  • Options
    Morning all, has Lord Falconer resigned yet ?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a result for the crucial Chongyron/Workers party seat that changed hands ?
  • Options

Endillion said:

daodao said:

"In short, I don't believe you'd find any moral value or belief in the mainstream UK Jewish community that could be described as anathema to current Western attitudes."

Whilst that's very good, and I agree in general, the situation with the Beth Din and divorce is in some cases messy and nasty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-jewish-orthodox-councils-institutionalising-marital-captivity-and-upholding-discriminatory-a6803256.html

I expect TheJezziah to be along any moment to say that I'm anti-Semitic for saying this... :)
    Well, your point is fair, and well made. Two things though:

1) Basically everyone agrees with the premise that everything that can be done in these situations, should be done.

2) An inordinate amount of work has been put in over the years (and this is a known problem dating back centuries) in order to make them as few and far between as possible.

They are still, as you say, horrendous when they do occur.
  • Options
    Interesting Rachel Sylvester article in the Times on May’s rather unedifying treatment of Amber Rudd.

A minister who was and is an ultra loyalist, despite her differences on policy, is being treated as as traitor within.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

daodao said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Would we be OK if we covered our heads in brown paper bags?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz1rhLnCrJQ

• Options

Like.
  • Options

Neither is as good as Buttigieg.
    If you learn the pronunciation - Boodijij - you forget how to spell it.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

"The government should treat knife crime with the same urgency as terrorism, a former Home Office minister has said.

Labour MP Vernon Coaker said Cobra, the government's emergency committee, should meet to respond to the "national crisis"."

Calling for meetings is all good and well: what would he suggest they do?

As the article says, the suggestion of increased stop-and-search seems a possible approach - but to be effective, that would require targeting and effective punishments for carrying weapons. And I bet Coaker would be one of the people screaming about that.

But we also need to tackle the culture that tells young people it's okay - or even cool - to carry a knife.

He's right on one other thing - it's not just an urban problem. Knife crime occurs in small towns, or even villages, as well.

So come on Coaker, give us suggestions of what you'd support.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

He anagrams to OK Necrophile - good album title, obv.
    One of Radiohead's more cheerful efforts, IIRC
    Wow, that's right up there with one of May's better ideas or one of Corbyn's original thoughts.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What nickname will Trump come up with for him? Frickin'Loopy?

Loopy Tunes
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

How old are you, Carlotta? RE is not like it was forty years ago. These days it is actually education about religions.

The irony in the placard comes from the fact that the parents do actually indoctrinate their kids.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nigelb said:

Good morning, everyone.

Extraordinarily unlikely, I think.

Hickenlooper is running as a bipartisan (as RCS1k pointed out, he considered a joint ticket with Kasich at one point). Not only isn’t there a market for that at the moment in the Democratic party, it is not even a coherent strategy for governing in the imaginary situation where he actually got elected.

The Republican party in Washington went full on scorched earth during Obama’s presidency, and there are very few indeed in either House or Senate whose first principle in dealing with a Democratic administration is not legislative sabotage. Democrats have responded accordingly, and that is not going to change until after Trump becomes an unpleasant memory.

If say Sanders won the Democratic nomination and Trump the GOP nomination it would require Hickenlooper and Kasich to found a new third party centrist US equivalent for TIG or En Marche and not only for they to run for President on a joint ticket but for the new party to run candidates for Congress and state elections too
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Calling for meetings is all good and well: what would he suggest they do?

As the article says, the suggestion of increased stop-and-search seems a possible approach - but to be effective, that would require targeting and effective punishments for carrying weapons. And I bet Coaker would be one of the people screaming about that.

But we also need to tackle the culture that tells young people it's okay - or even cool - to carry a knife.

He's right on one other thing - it's not just an urban problem. Knife crime occurs in small towns, or even villages, as well.

So come on Coaker, give us suggestions of what you'd support.
    It really says everything about our political class that he can seriously suggest calling a meeting is an answer. Next he'll be suggesting that May should make a speech. That always resolves, well, nothing actually.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    This is the working prototype of the new leadership election rules that Team Corbyn want to bring into the Labour Party.
    Expect Lansman and McDonnell to be on a fact finding mission to North Korea
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Neither is as good as Buttigieg.
    If you learn the pronunciation - Boodijij - you forget how to spell it.

Should be pronouncd Booty-gig... Would have better chance of prising Trump voters away.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Given a 21 month extension likely leads to EUref2 and a Remain option he might find it
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

That's not fair. You have just revealed @TheJezziah's next five posts.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

FPT

I know nothing about the story except your post.

IMV no school - private or not - should be teaching that gay people should be hated or feared.

• Options
    The 2020 front-runners seem to be selected entirely from minor characters in the Star Wars cantina scene....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Even before all these neighbour issues really flared up it was going to involve a lot of travel for fans and teams but the whole thing has gone to a ridiculous level.

The main argument in favour I remember at the time which I could get on board with was spreading the tournament around the globe and (depending on how you divide the world) there was some argument for one in the Middle East. Although if we are going to ignore politics (democracy, gay rights etc.) then Iran or Saudi Arabia (if we exclude Turkey as European) seem more obvious choices as actual footballing countries who have been somewhat competitive at football for a while and I assume far more of a domestic football league than Qatar. Also they actually have the basic capacity to hold the event in terms of infrastructure and stadiums*.

*Iran's wouldn't be great but I'm sure the Saudi's would spend huge amounts making some lovely ones.

Admittedly they didn't actually bid but an ME world cup should have waited for a more realistic bidder.
    The Saudis could use the stadiums for beheadings after the tournament has finished
  • Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT

I know nothing about the story except your post.

IMV no school - private or not - should be teaching that gay people should be hated or feared.

Or, critically, treated with anything other than equality and respect.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2019

If Lord Falconer quits, his reasons for doing so will give just the coverage that many, many MPs and councillors will need to depart. If that includes Watson, I can believe it will be enough to make them the official Opposition. Question then becomes: who do the unions fund?
    I very much doubt that.

It is still the case that it is easier to wait for Corby to lose control of the party (as he will, because the pendulum always swings back) than to set up a completely new party.

I always wondered what I would have done if I had been born and lived in East Germany (or another Soviet satellite) in the 1970s. Would I have tried to be a hero and cross the Wall?

The correct thing to do (we can now see) is to have waited. In 1989, the GDR collapsed.

The TIGgers have scaled the Wall. Good luck to them, but most likely they will be shot down by the border guards or bleed to death in the barbed wire.

The best thing for Labour moderates to do is wait. The Wall will come down anyhow.

If there is a GE this year (not unlikely), they may not have to wait too long.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Do the partisan Democrats want to maximise feeling good about their candidate or maximise their chances of winning? Do they accept that the two are not the same thing?

There are already 14 declared runners, with more potentially to come. Plenty of time for trading, I'd have thought.
  • Options

Which leads to the purpose of the exercise. y's name will be thrown around on Facebook as it always is when cultists try and show they aren't anti-semitic.
    I very much doubt that.

It is still the case that it is easier to wait for Corby to lose control of the party (as he will, because the pendulum always swings back) than to set up a completely new party.

I always wondered what I would have done if I had been born and lived in East Germany (or another Soviet satellite) in the 1970s. Would I have tried to be a hero and cross the Wall?

The correct thing to do (we can now see) is to have waited. In 1989, the GDR collapsed.

The TIGgers have scaled the Wall. Good luck to them, but most likely they will be shot down by the border guards or bleed to death in the barbed wire.

The best thing for Labour moderates to do is wait. The Wall will come down anyhow.

If there is a GE this year (not unlikely), they may not have to wait too long.
    It took Labour 13 years for centrists to regain control of the party after Foot was elected in 1980 and Militant gained influence
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting Rachel Sylvester article in the Times on May’s rather unedifying treatment of Amber Rudd.

A minister who was and is an ultra loyalist, despite her differences on policy, is being treated as as traitor within.

This is why there exists Cabinet Collective Responsibility in Cabinet over matters of policy.

Rudd is free to disagree and make her point to the PM privately, but if she wants to openly disagree in public with the government line then she should resign to do so.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

This is why there exists Cabinet Collective Responsibility in Cabinet over matters of policy.

Rudd is free to disagree and make her point to the PM privately, but if she wants to openly disagree in public with the government line then she should resign to do so.
    I really doubt that Theresa May wants three Cabinet ministers to resign over her Brexit policy just now.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

It took Labour 13 years for centrists to regain control of the party after Foot was elected in 1980 and Militant gained influence

No, it took 3 years. Foot was elected leader in 1980, he left office in 1983, to be succeeded by Kinnock.

It took the SDP much longer to break the mould. In fact we're still waiting.

(I note it is acknowledged Tories who are so enthusiastic about the Labour moderates splitting. I wonder why ... I wonder why)
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 128
    Scott_P said:
    Corbyn's office were present but not involved.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

No, it took 3 years. Foot was elected leader in 1980, he left office in 1983, to be succeeded by Kinnock.

It took the SDP much longer to break the mould. In fact we're still waiting.

(I note it is acknowledged Tories who are so enthusiastic about the Labour moderates splitting. I wonder why ... I wonder why)
    Kinnock was not a centrist but a leftwinger, Hattersley was the centrist candidate in 1983 albeit he became Kinnock's Deputy and it took years for Kinnock to drive out Militant.

It was not until John Smith beat Brian Gould for the leadership and introduced OMOV that centrists took control again of course driving home that control when Blair won in 1994 after Smith's death and removed Clause 4 from the party's constitution. Plus in many respects New Labour was the child of the SDP
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On topic, did I mention that I tipped Hickenlooper as well, back in October 2017?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/10/21/tips-for-wh2020-bullock-hickenlooper-and-trump/

I thout @RCS1000 was first tip on Hickenlooper.
    Daddy stealing his credit I think 😁
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

The 2020 front-runners seem to be selected entirely from minor characters in the Star Wars cantina scene....

Brilliant.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    ...but I am still very happy for you to be Prime Minister.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I really doubt that Theresa May wants three Cabinet ministers to resign over her Brexit policy just now.
    Indeed not, but right now they’re inside the tent and pissing in.

I’m pretty sure that at almost any other time, such ministers would have had a call from No 10 reminding them of collective responsibility. It’s shows the tightrope that the PM is walking, that she’s unable to have them resign.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

I thout @RCS1000 was first tip on Hickenlooper.
    Daddy stealing his credit I think 😁
    "I made you, so all you do is also mine"
This discussion has been closed.