Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Crisis, what crisis?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

GROOMING TRIAL: Hecklers called prosecutors 'slags' and 'hoped they would be raped'

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/17464382.grooming-trial-hecklers-called-prosecutors-slags-and-hoped-they-would-be-raped/

Lovely families these bastards come from.

Good to hear that evidence is being sought to prosecute them.

I see in todays news that Non EU immigration from Asia and Africa is up, matching the drop in EU immigration. Be careful what you wish for, Britain will become less European in many ways as a result of Brexit.
    Serious question. How is that a problem? England (or Britain if that is your bag) is already a huge lovely rock polisher off different cultures all steadily rubbing the edges of each other to make something new, shiny and classically English. Why should it matter where those new pebbles come from?

Apologies I am a geologist and I am pushing the 'rocky' metaphor a bit.
    The referendum was won by whipping up untrue fears of vast numbers of Muslims descending on Britain.
    Except that muslim voters were promised that after Brexit their families would get priority over Poles and Romanians
    Have you a link to that ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

GROOMING TRIAL: Hecklers called prosecutors 'slags' and 'hoped they would be raped'

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/17464382.grooming-trial-hecklers-called-prosecutors-slags-and-hoped-they-would-be-raped/

I see in todays news that Non EU immigration from Asia and Africa is up, matching the drop in EU immigration. Be careful what you wish for, Britain will become less European in many ways as a result of Brexit.
    Serious question. How is that a problem? England (or Britain if that is your bag) is already a huge lovely rock polisher off different cultures all steadily rubbing the edges of each other to make something new, shiny and classically English. Why should it matter where those new pebbles come from?

I suspect it is a problem for many, indeed @tykelohnno often expresses that opinion.

I live in Leicester, the first city in the country where everyone is in a minority. I am pretty comfortable, and enjoy that diversity. I understand though that it is scary for some socially conservative people though.
    I would say the socioeconomic class of immigrants is more important than their race in how they are regarded.

There seems to be little hostility to affluent, educated, skilled immigrants.
    I think that might be broadly true, quite a few houses on the street I grew up in were owned by ex-Ugandan asian families iirc. All lawyers, doctors and so forth..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can you imagine the political storm if this was done here over unpaid council tax:

' A town in Germany has made headlines for seizing a family's dog over unpaid taxes - and then selling it on eBay.

German media report that officials in Ahlen initially wanted to seize the wheelchair of a disabled resident as the most valuable item on the premises.

Instead, they settled on a pedigree pug bitch named Edda. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47401439

I know its tangential to the story, but I'm staggered at how ridiculously popular pugs are. Also french bulldogs and other sinfully ugly and malbred dogs.
    I wonder if its a result of Willy from EastEnders.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974
    edited February 2019
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Its not where they come from which matters but who they are.

We should be treating migration on an individual basis.
    Yep. Absolutely on board with that. I was just confused by Foxy's apparent belief that it was better to have migrants from Europe than from anywhere else in the world.
    No, my view is more nuanced than that. It is about culture. European migrants have been coming to Britain and have such a common culture that they have historically integrated well, whether Saxons, Normans, Huegenots (paging Nigel Farage), Ashkenazi Jews, Belgian refugees in 1918, Polish in 1940s, Italians in the 1950s etc etc. Royal Family, Michael Portillo, Michael Howard, Ed Miliband all included.

Non European migrants can also integrate well, particularly communities that share much of that cultre and willingness to become part of the British tapestry, but some clearly do find that more difficult, such as Ms Begum of ISIS, or @Tykejohnnos disagreeable neighbours.

There has been a long history of isolated issues with some groups of immigrants - whether it is Catholic priests from Europe in the 16th century or radical Islamists from the Middle East in the 21st century. But that is no reason to prefer one national grouping over another when it comes to welcoming migrants. I do find something faintly unsavoury about the claims that Europeans make better immigrants than non Europeans because of some perceived cultural affinities. Frankly I don't recognise those affinities and don't think we are any better off having French or Italian immigrants compared to Fijian or Iranian ones.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    My thanks to CycleFree for the thread header.

The only thing missing was a reference to that most mendacious of official phrases - "Lessons have been learned".
  • Options

Foxy said:

The referendum was won by whipping up untrue fears of vast numbers of Muslims descending on Britain.
    You are a stuck record Alastair. No matter how many times you repeat these claims you are still singing 'Highway to Hell' in Esperanto.

In fact as punishment for your stuck record act you are now condemned to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gtGfAail4
    Didn’t watch. I’m still right and you know it.
    Oh you need to watch it. Just so you know never to do so again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I suspect it is a problem for many, indeed @tykelohnno often expresses that opinion.

I live in Leicester, the first city in the country where everyone is in a minority. I am pretty comfortable, and enjoy that diversity. I understand though that it is scary for some socially conservative people though.
    I would say the socioeconomic class of immigrants is more important than their race in how they are regarded.

There seems to be little hostility to affluent, educated, skilled immigrants.
    I think that might be broadly true, quite a few houses on the street I grew up in were owned by ex-Ugandan asian families iirc. All lawyers, doctors and so forth..
    Lovely people except for one - Yasmin Alibhai-Brown ;-)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

rcs1000 said:

Can you imagine the political storm if this was done here over unpaid council tax:

' A town in Germany has made headlines for seizing a family's dog over unpaid taxes - and then selling it on eBay.

German media report that officials in Ahlen initially wanted to seize the wheelchair of a disabled resident as the most valuable item on the premises.

Instead, they settled on a pedigree pug bitch named Edda. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47401439

It's appalling.

Surely there's a German owned auction site they can use rather than that of a faceless US multinational.
    Serious question.

Are there German or other equivalents to the big websites - I know Amazon and wiki have multiple national variations.

I've read that there is no equivalent of PB operating in other countries.
    There is a European auction site called Catawiki - but eBay is nevertheless dominant in several national markets in Europe.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Didn't have you down as a racist, Foxy :(
    I don't think I am, just pointing out that the increase in Non EU immigration, most of which comes from the Subcontinent, Middle East and Africa, will change this country significantly.

To me it is not just a question of "brightest and best" but also ability to culturally assimilate to the majority population. This includes more than language, but also religion, attitude to women and democracy etc. The Fillipinos, East African Asians and Africans that I work with integrate well.
    There’s a great deal of commentary by omission here, isn’t there.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited February 2019

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Except that muslim voters were promised that after Brexit their families would get priority over Poles and Romanians
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/733356473380659200

The official Out campaign is drawing up leaflets aimed at Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu speakers arguing that a British exit from the EU would help to stem the flow of Eastern Europeans into the UK — allowing more incomers from Commonwealth countries to take their place.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The complaint, as it’s been expressed to a relative, is that nobody asked the population if they wanted to see a fundamental reimagining of their city. You’re comfortable with how it’s worked out, and perhaps it has, but consent is important.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    RE: India. Ashoka ruled over pretty much as big an area as the Moghuls and the British did in 3rd Century BCE. He placed a series of obelisks around explaining the Laws. Ironically he was totally forgotten until Imperial surveyors found them and translated them.
    I also read once, though can't recall where, that India accounted for c 25% of World GDP when Europeans arrived.
  • Options
    dots said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Referring to the way some Indians were executed by the British after the 1857 rebellion was suppressed, perhaps?
    A fitting punishment for the Brexit mutineers.

Actually the kerfuffle over which kind of fat was used in the sepoys' cartridges has all the hallmarks of a Daily Mail EU scare story.
    I assume you are of the opinion that India would be much better if it had stayed Under the control of the East India Company
    I don't want to get into the wrongs and rights of the colonial period, but a question: was India a single entity before the EIC, was it a series of sometimes-warring kingdoms, or was it both?
    Series of usually warring kingdoms
    That gives the impression that none of them were of global significance, whereas, at one point before the industrial revolution, the Mogul Empire was the world's largest economy on the back of agriculture and manufacturing and, at its greatest extent, was larger than modern day India.
    Yes but the phrasing “before the EIC” implies immediately before
    The EIC initially was operating in India while the Mogul Empire was at its peak.

Mogul Empire (1526-1857), peak years 1556-1707
    EIC 1612-1757
    In fact, the Indian Rebellion against the EIC in 1857 was partially about restoring the Mogul Emperor.
    Genuine question to someone born in India.
    If vast majority of Kashmir isn’t Hindu, why is India so keen on it?
    Two reasons (I think):

1) The Nehru-Gandhi family have roots in Kashmir

2) It's to prove that a Muslim majority area can be governed as part of India (invalidating Jinnah's "Two-Nation" hypothesis). But there was a double-standard in 1948: Hyderabad was ruled by a Muslim raja (or "Nizam"), despite being in southern India. He ruled over a Hindu majority, but refused to join in 1947, so the following year India just invaded. Being several hundred miles from the nearest Pakistani territory, Hyderabad was quickly annexed to India.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RE: India. Ashoka ruled over pretty much as big an area as the Moghuls and the British did in 3rd Century BCE. He placed a series of obelisks around explaining the Laws. Ironically he was totally forgotten until Imperial surveyors found them and translated them.
    I also read once, though can't recall where, that India accounted for c 25% of World GDP when Europeans arrived.

I've read that as well.

Likewise China had a surprisingly high proportion of world GDP in the 19th century.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    dixiedean said:

That was the point I was making. The EIC, along with the Dutch and French equivalents, arrived in India precisely because India was the world economic power at that time (spices and manufacturing, particularly textiles), and it was a result of India's economic power that EIC was able to become the world's biggest trading entity.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/733356473380659200

The official Out campaign is drawing up leaflets aimed at Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu speakers arguing that a British exit from the EU would help to stem the flow of Eastern Europeans into the UK — allowing more incomers from Commonwealth countries to take their place.
    Well well well,positive on immigration from the leave side.
This discussion has been closed.