Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ladbrokes 3/1 on a deal being agreed looks like a value be

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,444
    edited February 2019
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Having thought about how today's events affect the probabilities of various outcomes, such as leaving on time with a deal, leaving without a deal, or extending A50 for a referendum, I am now prepared to share my considered conclusion with you all: I haven't the faintest idea.

This is a board of intelligent and well informed folk across the political spectrum often with niche insights. I think it fair to say that nobody is sure what happens next or what the outcome will be.

4 weeks to go and we are all in the fog. I am not convinced that either MPs or Civil Service are any better informed.
    It almost certainly isn't 4 weeks to go. That's the only thing we can be reasonably sure about.

Either for reasons of can-kicking (forced by either the govt or by parliament), or because the government needs time to implement the deal, it's highly likely that there'll be an A50 extension.

It is possible that the EU might veto an extension or attach unacceptable conditions but I think the risk is relatively low, providing that the date doesn't go beyond June 30.

No Deal shouldn't be ruled out - it's easy enough to cause it by accident, never mind design - but I think it's become quite unlikely this last 7 days.
    No no deal having got down to 1.03 earlier, it's now back to 1.17 with a fair few thousand put on the table waiting to be matched - some of which arrived in £'000s as I was logged in when it was lodged. Someone with deep pockets seems to think no deal on 29/3 is still in play.
    Or someone hedging against large potential losses in the real world if there is no deal. An insurance bet rather than an estimate of the probability.
    That is a possibility, I guess. Except that the Betfair bet is incredibly misleading, titled "no deal Brexit, yes or no" but with the small print tying it specifically to 29/3 only. It's the worse presentation I have seen. The specific date reduces its insurance worth IMO.

There's £1700 left at 1.11 if anyone fancies it. I thought it was attractive at 1.07.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Off Topic but I hope @bigjohnowls just meant he was putting the vile NSDAP troll types on ignore rather than leaving the site.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

1) Will the MV pass? Unlikely; therefore
    2) Will Lab vote for no no deal? Difficult, because
    3) That will be seen as a vote for the government; so
    4) If no no deal fails then will A50 extension pass? No, for the same reason as 3), therefore;
    5) We are back where we started and the ERG wait for us to leave with no deal, so
    6) We are fucked. Unless
    7) Cooper whips Lab votes for her amendment which is unlikely, so therefore the only option is
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

As far as I know, Theresa May can ask for an extension without being mandated to do so by MPs.
    I think that needs thought. Legislation already passed has us leaving on 29th March. Plus if parliament is needed to trigger Art 50 (Supreme Court) how do we know it isn't needed for an amendment of the decision? ...
    The reason parliament needed to authorise the Article 50 notice was because the effect would be to remove rights conferred by parliament. I've never seen any argument that the same would be true of an extension (or even a revocation). That learned blog on the subject of royal consent argued from the point of view that the request for an extension would be pure royal prerogative. We know that in law the leaving date can be amended by regulations rather than primary legislation.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Having thought about how today's events affect the probabilities of various outcomes, such as leaving on time with a deal, leaving without a deal, or extending A50 for a referendum, I am now prepared to share my considered conclusion with you all: I haven't the faintest idea.

This is a board of intelligent and well informed folk across the political spectrum often with niche insights. I think it fair to say that nobody is sure what happens next or what the outcome will be.

4 weeks to go and we are all in the fog. I am not convinced that either MPs or Civil Service are any better informed.
    It almost certainly isn't 4 weeks to go. That's the only thing we can be reasonably sure about.

Either for reasons of can-kicking (forced by either the govt or by parliament), or because the government needs time to implement the deal, it's highly likely that there'll be an A50 extension.

It is possible that the EU might veto an extension or attach unacceptable conditions but I think the risk is relatively low, providing that the date doesn't go beyond June 30.

No Deal shouldn't be ruled out - it's easy enough to cause it by accident, never mind design - but I think it's become quite unlikely this last 7 days.
    No no deal having got down to 1.03 earlier, it's now back to 1.17 with a fair few thousand put on the table waiting to be matched - some of which arrived in £'000s as I was logged in when it was lodged. Someone with deep pockets seems to think no deal on 29/3 is still in play.
    Or someone hedging against large potential losses in the real world if there is no deal. An insurance bet rather than an estimate of the probability.
    That is a possibility, I guess. Except that the Betfair bet is incredibly misleading, titled "no deal Brexit, yes or no" but with the small print tying it specifically to 29/3 only. It's the worse presentation I have seen. The specific date reduces its insurance worth IMO.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2019

I see the wingnut in chief from Derby is unpopular with his Nottingham colleague... what could be done to stop such in-fighting?

https://twitter.com/LilianGreenwood/status/1100420369687683075

She needs to hand a file on this over to Tom Watson. He is handling these matters now.
    The pinned tweet on the wingnut's twitter feed is on........ Venezuela.

That's what is crucial to Derby voters tonight.

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1099382439418441728
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I see the wingnut in chief from Derby is unpopular with his Nottingham colleague... what could be done to stop such in-fighting?

She needs to hand a file on this over to Tom Watson. He is handling these matters now.
    The last time Tom Watson investigated something, it was a fecking disaster, lets not put any halo's round Watson's neck ….
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,617
    edited February 2019
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

4) If no no deal fails then will A50 extension pass? No, for the same reason as 3), therefore;
    5) We are back where we started and the ERG wait for us to leave with no deal, so
    6) We are fucked. Unless
    7) Cooper whips Lab votes for her amendment which is unlikely, so therefore the only option is
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

As far as I know, Theresa May can ask for an extension without being mandated to do so by MPs.
    I think that needs thought. Legislation already passed has us leaving on 29th March. Plus if parliament is needed to trigger Art 50 (Supreme Court) how do we know it isn't needed for an amendment of the decision?

Secondly, agree MV passes either in March or soon after. All options look improbable. Most are in practical terms impossible. MV passing on TMs (slightly tweaked) deal is not impossible or the realm of fantasy. No deal is fantasy, given parliament's actual opinions, as is some very different WA, as is revoke. WA as it more or less stands is improbable but will happen. It's a Sherlock Holmes principle. Eliminate the impossible, and then unlikely things become possible ('whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth').

Yep. The deal it is. It has to be because everything else is impossible. And also, a bird in the hand, and all that: the deal is there already just needing tweaking. Everything else is a blank page.
    So glad we are agreed. That must make it close to certain. (Irony alert). But I notice that we agree with Rob Ford's new year predictions for 2019, which have done pretty well so far...……..

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    eek said:

Sean_F said:

FPT the study of the impact of the Euro on individual countries. IMO, it suggests that GDP per head would be about 11% higher in Italy, and 6% higher in France, had they remained outside the Euro.

Given zero growth in Italy for 20 years caused by it's inability to compete on level pricing with Germany that's not surprising. The lira used inflation to inflate debts away which is impossible in a German controlled low inflation economy...
    The Italian model worked because it screwed savers. (And the savers were therefore very keen to join the Euro to stop the government screwing them.) What they forgot is that by stopping screwing savers, the result was an end to cheap capital.

All that being said, it is worth remembering that Italy was always going to face a pretty horrible slowdown, given it has the worst demographics in developed Europe. Indeed, Italy's demographics and economy look remarkably like Japan's - with the difference being that Japan's government has been able to print money* to keep things going.

The 11%, all things considered, sounds about right for the "Euro drag" for Italy. The question is, can Italy leave the Euro in a way that doesn't (a) fracture the country by screwing Italian savers and retirees (of which there are many), and (b) allows it to continue to service its obligations?

It's a tough one. And made more tough by the fact that the Italians have refused to follow the Spanish and the Portuguese in liberalising their labour markets.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

FPT the study of the impact of the Euro on individual countries. IMO, it suggests that GDP per head would be about 11% higher in Italy, and 6% higher in France, had they remained outside the Euro.

Interesting: who produced the analysis?
    Centre for European Policy

https://www.cep.eu/en/eu-topics/details/cep/20-years-of-the-euro-winners-and-losers.html
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

Or, in other words, nothing has changed!
    Indeed. Although ERG members would have to be crazy not to be quietly confident that they might get their no deal brexit.
    I still think the chances of a no deal Brexit are close to zero.
    Agree also. But the ERG might think they are in with a shout.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1100436820565868549
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Off Topic but I hope @bigjohnowls just meant he was putting the vile NSDAP troll types on ignore rather than leaving the site.

NSDAP trolls?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

And the length of the extension is entirely in the hands of the EU. I think it quite likely that parliament will force May to ask for a short extension at the summit on 21 March and the EU could well respond by granting one ... to the end of 2020. And unless May is prepared to countenance no deal at a week's notice she will have to accept.
    Are you sure? What about the EU elections? Unless everyone, including the ECJ, agrees that a Member who intends to Leave should be represented in the European Parliament.
    Well a member who intends to leave has been represented in the EP for almost 3 years now so I don't see why that situation couldn't continue. Of course the U.K. would have to hold EP elections this year and the MEPs would serve until we left. No biggie I don't think and a better option from the EUs point of view since there might be a chance the U.K. could resolve its political crisis in two years, but there is no chance that could happen in three months.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

https://www.cep.eu/en/eu-topics/details/cep/20-years-of-the-euro-winners-and-losers.html
    Only Germany and the Netherlands have become more prosperous as a result of the introduction of the Euro according to this report.
  • Options
    There was probably a brief moment when some of the TIG wondered whether they had done the right thing when Jezza started talking about a 2nd vote.

They can relax. Turns out that was all crap and many members of the party have spent the day ramming up the anti-jew, pro-hozbollah stuff and tweeting about coups in venezuela (presumably run by the Rothschilds etc etc).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Hmmmmm: not convinced that:

1. Greece has been a Euro benificiary
    2. Spain has been a Euro loser

If you look at employment compared to 1/1/99, Spain now has 40% more people employed than then, while Greece has something like 10% less.

I would argue that Spain's economy has probably grown quicker than it would have done out of the Euro, but only because it had incredibly painful reform forced on them. And that Greece has performed markedly worse, because it allowed completely unsustainable debts to be run up.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

I guess you're referring to me as I was involved in that conversation - but you don't have the balls to directly name me.

So firstly you repeatedly call me an Islamaphobe, and now an NSDAP troll.

There's only one person trolling here, and it isn't me. ;)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

There's £1700 left at 1.11 if anyone fancies it. I thought it was attractive at 1.07.
    I'm still not sure the evidence is there to justify such a big shift in the odds. What has really changed, apart from Donald Tusk's statement about an extension making sense?
  • Options
    RobD said:

NSDAP trolls?
    Maybe naive but who are NSDAP
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Only Germany and the Netherlands have become more prosperous as a result of the introduction of the Euro according to this report.
    Not true: it has Greece as a marginal winner, which I find extraordinarily implausible.

Also, where's Ireland?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

If you look at employment compared to 1/1/99, Spain now has 40% more people employed than then, while Greece has something like 10% less.

I would argue that Spain's economy has probably grown quicker than it would have done out of the Euro, but only because it had incredibly painful reform forced on them. And that Greece has performed markedly worse, because it allowed completely unsustainable debts to be run up.

I think I'd agree, although I think they're also spot on about Italy,

Italy's GDP has grown at 0.5% p.a., since 1999, which has just about kept pace with population growth.
  • Options

RobD said:

NSDAP trolls?
    I think it's Jezziah's name for the Tory party. Could be mistaken.
  • Options

RobD said:

NSDAP trolls?
    He's basically calling you Nazis, but doesn't have the stones to do so.

You can make your own judgments from there.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Italy's GDP has grown at 0.5% p.a., since 1999, which has just about kept pace with population growth.
    I agree with their Italian analysis too. Italy should never have joined the Euro, and then should have left in 2010/11.

The problem they have is that every day they stay, makes getting out more painful.
  • Options

RobD said:

NSDAP trolls?
    He's basically calling you Nazis, but doesn't have the stones to do so.

You can make your own judgments from there.
    I hope no one is calling me that
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I agree with their Italian analysis too. Italy should never have joined the Euro, and then should have left in 2010/11.

The problem they have is that every day they stay, makes getting out more painful.
    You agree that without the Euro, the Italian economy would track the UK and Australia?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

Or, in other words, nothing has changed!
    Indeed. Although ERG members would have to be crazy not to be quietly confident that they might get their no deal brexit.
    I still think the chances of a no deal Brexit are close to zero.
    Agree also. But the ERG might think they are in with a shout.
    The ERG are not entirely easy to understand. But I think they must comprehend that if we should fail to leave this time, and if by pushing an extreme (in parliament terms) approach the ERG is instrumental in keeping us in the EU, there is no obvious route to leaving ever in the foreseeable future. I just don't think the UK is going to vote to go through this again in current adult lifetimes.

If at the end of the day the ERG oblige us to remain then they are dilettante game players and not serious. I think that underneath they serious about getting us out and are holding out for the best deal possible in their eyes in the actual world. If not, they are not rational.

• Options
    TM remarkable achievement (so far) is she has kept her cabinet together against all the odds
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, the National Socialist German Workers Party (aka Nazis).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

You agree that without the Euro, the Italian economy would track the UK and Australia?
    No, as I said below, the Italian economy was going to slow down anyway.

Given the demographics, Italy was always going to struggle to get above 0.75-1.25% per year. But they got 0.5% per year, rather than 1.0% per year.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

NSDAP trolls?
    I think it's Jezziah's name for the Tory party. Could be mistaken.
    It's a smear I tell you, a smear!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Given the demographics, Italy was always going to struggle to get above 0.75-1.25% per year. But they got 0.5% per year, rather than 1.0% per year.
    That’s what their analysis was based on.

• Options

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

And the length of the extension is entirely in the hands of the EU. I think it quite likely that parliament will force May to ask for a short extension at the summit on 21 March and the EU could well respond by granting one ... to the end of 2020. And unless May is prepared to countenance no deal at a week's notice she will have to accept.
    Are you sure? What about the EU elections? Unless everyone, including the ECJ, agrees that a Member who intends to Leave should be represented in the European Parliament.
    Well a member who intends to leave has been represented in the EP for almost 3 years now so I don't see why that situation couldn't continue. Of course the U.K. would have to hold EP elections this year and the MEPs would serve until we left. No biggie I don't think and a better option from the EUs point of view since there might be a chance the U.K. could resolve its political crisis in two years, but there is no chance that could happen in three months.
    I think the problem is that the UK leaving changes the balance of the MEPs for all the other countries. This has already been revised in preparation for the new elections in June. If the UK has MEPs after June but they leave before the next EP elections then all the other MEP numbers are wrong for the remainder of the Parliament.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh dear Govenment releases latest no deal impact assessments . These were the ones wanted by the Anna Soubry amendment .

Some small progress in certain areas but overall it looks like a horror show .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Oh dear Govenment releases latest no deal impact assessments . These were the ones wanted by the Anna Soubry amendment .

Some small progress in certain areas but overall it looks like a horror show .

Nothing new then
  • Options

Well that is unacceptable to be honest
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Greece's growth has been 0.75% p.a. since 1999, although they got wild boom up to 2008, followed by wild bust since, rather than Italy's permanent stagnation.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

TM remarkable achievement (so far) is she has kept her cabinet together against all the odds

Except all the Cabinet minister who have resigned over the past months? :D
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited February 2019
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

I think that needs thought. Legislation already passed has us leaving on 29th March.
    Not until the relevant sections are commenced by the executive, which has yet to happen, although I agree that under international law the UK will cease to be subject to the EU treaties from that date if nothing else happens.
    Plus if parliament is needed to trigger Art 50 (Supreme Court) how do we know it isn't needed for an amendment of the decision?
    AIUI the argument there is that SCOTUK ruled that parliamentary approval was needed to take British citizens’ EU rights away by invoking A50, but as no rights would be extinguished by revoking the A50 notification then the government would simply be exercising the executive power of the state to conduct international relations delegated to it by the sovereign.
  • Options

Well that is unacceptable to be honest
    I know, right. The party doesn't even exist anymore. :p
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Most of them were useless
  • Options

OK, that's an incrediby bizarre weighting. I'm trying to think of an economy less like Italy's than Australia. And failing.

Australia exports raw materials. To - errr - China. See: https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visualize/tree_map/hs92/export/aus/all/show/2017/

Italy exports manufactured products. See: https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visualize/tree_map/hs92/export/ita/all/show/2017/

If you were to say - of all the developed economies in the world, which one looks least like Italy's?, I think Australia would be top of the list.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, it's not an especially persuasive claim.
  • Options

If ever I think the Tories have a number of odious tw*ts I just need to remind myself of this thug. He is not only a disgrace to Labour, he is a disgrace to the country who's parliament he sits in. Nothing short of a nasty little fascist.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK, that's an incrediby bizarre weighting. I'm trying to think of an economy less like Italy's than Australia. And failing.

Australia exports raw materials. To - errr - China. See: https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visualize/tree_map/hs92/export/aus/all/show/2017/

Italy exports manufactured products. See: https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visualize/tree_map/hs92/export/ita/all/show/2017/

If you were to say - of all the developed economies in the world, which one looks least like Italy's?, I think Australia would be top of the list.
    Personally, I would have put Japan as by far the best compare for Italy: similar demographics, similar exports-to-GDP, similar (in 1999) levels of government debt, similar savings rates, similar levels of home ownership, broadly similar type of of exports.

Italy does have agricultural and luxury goods exports, and corruption, but the two are pretty good analogs.

Australia. Not so much.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Are you embarrassed to have just said you agreed with their analysis on Italy? :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Could this see the end of the current rail franchising regime?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rail-review-chair-says-franchising-cannot-continue-in-its-current-form

Keith Williams, independent chair of the first ‘root and branch’ Rail Review to be supported by government, will today (26 February 2019) announce that the rail franchising system cannot continue in the way it is now.

In the George Bradshaw Address, Keith Williams is expected to say:

I have heard a great deal about the franchising model….driving growth in passengers and benefits to services. But with this growth the needs of passengers have changed whilst many of the basic elements of our rail system have not kept pace.

Put bluntly, franchising cannot continue the way it is today. It is no longer delivering clear benefits for either taxpayers and farepayers.

I believe that for the railway to be successful it needs to put passengers at its heart.

We need to recognise that there is unlikely to be a ‘one size fits all’ solution which will work for every part of the country and all types of passenger.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    rpjs said:

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

So

6) We are fucked. Unless
    8) The MV passes.

Voila!

I think that needs thought. Legislation already passed has us leaving on 29th March.
    Not until the relevant sections are commenced by the executive, which has yet to happen, although I agree that under international law the UK will cease to be subject to the EU treaties from that date if nothing else happens.
    Plus if parliament is needed to trigger Art 50 (Supreme Court) how do we know it isn't needed for an amendment of the decision?
    AIUI the argument there is that SCOTUK ruled that parliamentary approval was needed to take British citizens’ EU rights away by invoking A50, but as no rights would be extinguished by revoking the A50 notification then the government would simply be exercising the executive power of the state to conduct international relations delegated to it by the sovereign.

Two good points. Thanks.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.......

She does seem to have made an above average number of dodgy picks.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down

She has but not in Corbyn's league
  • Options
    Apparently 83% of businesses who export to the EU still don’t have a Customs registration number . That’s 200,000 businesses !
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
  • Options

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rail-review-chair-says-franchising-cannot-continue-in-its-current-form

Keith Williams, independent chair of the first ‘root and branch’ Rail Review to be supported by government, will today (26 February 2019) announce that the rail franchising system cannot continue in the way it is now.

I have heard a great deal about the franchising model….driving growth in passengers and benefits to services. But with this growth the needs of passengers have changed whilst many of the basic elements of our rail system have not kept pace.

Put bluntly, franchising cannot continue the way it is today. It is no longer delivering clear benefits for either taxpayers and farepayers.

I believe that for the railway to be successful it needs to put passengers at its heart.

We need to recognise that there is unlikely to be a ‘one size fits all’ solution which will work for every part of the country and all types of passenger.

Once outside of the EU we could privatise it as it should have been done. On a regional basis with companies owning both infrastructure and services. That way they would not be able to blame each other for failings.

The problem we have in this country is that we have never done regulated privatisation well. Other countries are very successful at having private companies operating under very strict controls to provide services and get a small but very steady return year after year. We seem to think you either have complete public ownership or no rules at all privatisation (I exaggerate but the basic principle is accurate). We ned to do the whole public/private partnership thing much better.
  • Options
    Mr. 67, it'd be interesting to see what a competent government would've made of preparations to depart.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Are you embarrassed to have just said you agreed with their analysis on Italy? :)
    Yes.

I looked at the headline numbers, not at how they got there.

The basis for their analysis is ridiculous. You need to compare countries with similar demographics, debt-to-GDP, exports, etc., in and out of the Eurozone to make sensible comparisons. Claiming that Italy is somehow a mix of

- the UK (which has relatively healthy demographics, a low savings rate, a massive current account deficit, and services based economy, and is completely unlike Italy's)

and

- Australia (which has very healthy demographics, a low savings rate, and an economy completely dominated by exports of raw materials to China and construction)

is absurd.

If you want to compare Italy to somewhere, compare it to Japan.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It was, is, and always will be a terrible idea until fiscal union is implemented.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

I wonder if he might be having a crisis of confidence in Corbyn.....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

Apparently 83% of businesses who export to the EU still don’t have a Customs registration number . That’s 200,000 businesses !

I'm a bit suspicious of that number. HMRC keep writing to me as MD of my company urging us to get a registration number because they think we export to the EU. But we don't: in fact, we don't sell goods at all, we only sell services and licences B2B (and at the moment all of our customers are in the US anyway). I don't know what they are basing that figure on.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Personally, I would have put Japan as by far the best compare for Italy: similar demographics, similar exports-to-GDP, similar (in 1999) levels of government debt, similar savings rates, similar levels of home ownership, broadly similar type of of exports.

Italy does have agricultural and luxury goods exports, and corruption, but the two are pretty good analogs.

Australia. Not so much.
    Japan was the comparator for Germany though.

If you compare Germany and Australia by the same means then I suspect that the Euro would look bad for German growth, or just maybe the biggest mineral producer in decades of commodity boom is not the best benchmark.

The benchmark for Greece was 40% Barbados and 40% New Zealand. Interesting choices, perhaps being good tourist destinations is the only common factor!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Greece's growth has been 0.75% p.a. since 1999, although they got wild boom up to 2008, followed by wild bust since, rather than Italy's permanent stagnation.

I think it's important to overlay employment trends, not just look at headline GDP numbers.

If you do that, then Germany and the Netherlands do well. Portugal also does pretty well. Spain does great.

Italy does poorly but not appallingly. (There's some growth, albeit not a lot.)

And Greece does absolutely atrociously.
  • Options
    Am I the only one getting tired of people on social media who voted Leave now saying they voted for no deal.

And the ones who proclaim WTO is marvelous when they clearly haven’t a frigging clue how it works .

• Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Australia. Not so much.

If you compare Germany and Australia by the same means then I suspect that the Euro would look bad for German growth, or just maybe the biggest mineral producer in decades of commodity boom is not the best benchmark.

The benchmark for Greece was 40% Barbados and 40% New Zealand. Interesting choices, perhaps being good tourist destinations is the only common factor!
    My guess is that they made up the benchmarks by seeing which mix of other countries produced the best correlation to the pre-Euro growth profile. If I'm right, file in the bin.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down

That's not the point; St Jeremy's LotO, not PM. There are those here who will tell you that once he's PM he'll do a great deal better at picking Ministers.

I'm not one of them, though!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Australia. Not so much.

Well, Germany and Italy in 1999 were quite similar.

Both were big exporters of capital goods. Both had poor demographics.

But Germany was at a cyclical low, because of the integration of East Germany. (Which, by the way, meant it was probably going to outperform irrespective of whether it was in the Euro.) And Italy was at a cyclical high, with government debt-to-GDP of around 125%.

Irrespective of Euro membership, Italy's demographics and indebtedness were going to hit it.
    Irrespective of Euro membership, Germany's improving East was going to boost it.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited February 2019
    I’m beginning to quite admire Theresa May. Like Daisy, she might just pull this off.
  • Options
    Last comment on the CEP study. Barbados is a country with as many people as Luton. It's economy is a third the size of Luton's. You can't use it as a sensible compare for Greece.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She picked them, though!
    And they let her down

That's not the point; St Jeremy's LotO, not PM. There are those here who will tell you that once he's PM he'll do a great deal better at picking Ministers.

I'm not one of them, though!
    God save us!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I’m beginning to quite admire Theresa May. Like Daisy, she might just pull this off.

It's what she'll pull off that worries me!
  • Options
    The section on Northern Ireland in the event of no deal is horrific . Absolute destruction of livelihoods . The DUP really are loathsome .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Am I the only one getting tired of people on social media who voted Leave now saying they voted for no deal.

And the ones who proclaim WTO is marvelous when they clearly haven’t a frigging clue how it works .

Yep. They are the ones that claim Putin's bots don't influence them! Useful idiots!
  • Options

I wonder if he might be having a crisis of confidence in Corbyn.....
    He's realised "he isn't the messiah, he's a very nasty anti-Semite"
  • Options
    JohnO said:

You are Philip May and I claim my £5
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    O/T

"The Intersectionality Score Calculator":

https://intersectionalityscore.com
  • Options
    Nice to see Remain’s allies are keeping up their good work.

https://twitter.com/leavemnsleave/status/1100313986615123968?s=21
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

Cover blown...can never post here again.
  • Options
    The government's No Deal impact report is most unimpressive. There's really not much to it. Frankly I could have written that with just a few hours' internet searching to fill in some of the figures.
  • Options

Excellent. Hopefully TIG will have coalesced into a party by then. Under a quasi-PR system it might be an opportunity to send a message.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

I'm only more privileged that 61% of others, which sounds implausibly low.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

:) Sorry Philip.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Excellent. Hopefully TIG will have coalesced into a party by then. Under a quasi-PR system it might be an opportunity to send a message.
    Leave means leave. Aren't suicide pacts illegal ?
  • Options

That's hilarious!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Is dealing with Vanilla a privilege these days?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Agree - without the admiration.

Even if she does, she has to be out of Downing Street pronto. Who wants her modus operandi through the trade agreement negotiations?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited February 2019
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

So that means I've had lunch with the spouses of the last two Prime Ministers.
  • Options

That's hilarious!
    Unbelievable . I’m beginning to think many Leave politicians really want the UK to stay . The only good thing about Brexit is the EU won’t have to put up with Farage anymore l
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

So that means I've had lunch with the spouses of the last two Prime Ministers.
    Never knew George Osborne was married to Cameron, although it shouldn't have been a surprise really.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Leave means leave. Aren't suicide pacts illegal ?
    Leave means anything nutters want it to be. Self harm means self harm. If 52% of your neighbours voted to stick pins in their eyes wouldn't you want to persuade them it was a bad idea and that they had the opportunity to change their minds? :) Only the gullible still think Brexit is a good idea.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Thanks for posting that. It'll be interesting to see where he goes with it: from that snippet, it doesn't sound like he thinks a return to BR is the solution. If so, I am not surprised.

Although I do have concerns this review will go the same way as the other reviews we've had over the years, e.g. Hansford.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

It’s a difficult time for Derby folk, have a heart.

Forest 1
    Derby 0

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,816
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

No scales on the sliders - no value in the outputs.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Forest 1
    Derby 0

The Brian Clough Trophy lives in Nottingham.

Just rejoice at that news.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

Who is Leave Means Leave's De Valera to May or Gove's Collins?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

_Anazina_ said:

Forest 1
    Derby 0

The Brian Clough Trophy lives in Nottingham.

Just rejoice at that news.....
    You Reds 👍
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Peston really does talk nonsense .

The opposite of his view is likely .

If changes to the backstop are made and the ERG still don’t support the deal then the chances of a second referendum go up.

They clearly then would be seen as wanting no deal and the rest of the party will turn against them.
This discussion has been closed.