Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie Sanders, 77, decides to take the plunge and moves to th

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Talking of tv...is it just me or is there nothing decent on hbo etc? True detective season 3 started well (no spoilers) but is there anything else? And all the major us networks, the original stuff they have tried has been really rubbish over the past 2 years or terrible remakes like magnum pi.

Netflix and chill. Tons on Netflix. Narcos is brilliant.
    That was sort of my point...Nought on telly, the golden age of telly it was all hbo shows, now all the good shows are Netflix.
    Netflix and amazon have all the money, so they make the best shows. It's not quantum thermophysics. TV drama is still good, REALLY good, you just have to pay for it in a different way.

If I was hard up, and I had to choose between paying my BBC TV licence, or my Netflix sub, I reckon I would go for Netflix. That sums up the horrible fate awaiting the BBC, if it doesn't swiftly find a new way of making money.
    If they’d open up the iPlayer to overseas viewers I’d gladly pay the cost of the licence fee for access.
    Agreed. It's mad there isn't some way of paying to access the iPlayer overseas: like you, I would gladly fork out. I've ended up illegally streaming some BBC TV - and thus benefiting pirates - when I would much rather take the legal route.

When you pay a British TV licence there should be some kind of supplementary fee, with a password, enabling you to access it all abroad. Can it be that difficult?

The BBC lacks commercial ingenuity. They are lazy.

Night night.

The BBC either purchase shows from independents, and as a result aren't going to be purchasing any geographic rights beyond the UK, or they are going to make them themselves and would lose massive commercial value when selling foreign rights for the shows.

It's not lazy, it is basic commercial reality.
This discussion has been closed.