Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do Farage’s claims about 100k people signing up for his new pa

124»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    This reminds me of when banana-man was going to challenge Brown....its on, its off, its on, its off, here's me waving a banana.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    RIP. The best part of 32 years of service as an MP.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Do the new Centrist Melt Party have a chance in Newport West or will the Corbyn Cult win easy ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    TGOHF said:

Do the new Centrist Melt Party have a chance in Newport West or will the Corbyn Cult win easy ?

Or split the vote......
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Presumably:

Chuka Umunna
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Leslie

Not sure about the fourth. Gavin Shuker looks likely.

I don't think Berger will go (yet).

Mike Gapes is much more likely, or possibly Angela Smith.
    Good point, I'd forgotten about Mike Gapes.
    The four names most often seen doing the rounds on Twitter this evening have been Umunna, Leslie, Gavin Shuker and Angela Smith.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    edited February 2019
    TGOHF said:

Con are only 5,600 votes behind in Newport West so on a split Labour vote it could be CON GAIN
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135

TGOHF said:

Or split the vote......
    The Tories last won in 1983. It must be a sign.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015

Scott_P said:
    Sad news.

That's tomorrow's defection/split off for a day or two then?
    Maybe. Although I just wonder how many have almost been forced to defect/split just because everyone thinks they are the ones threatening to and not doing it, so their reputation is going down the drain even as they never had any intention of doing so.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Presumably:

Chuka Umunna
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Leslie

The four names most often seen doing the rounds on Twitter this evening have been Umunna, Leslie, Gavin Shuker and Angela Smith.
    Not quite the Gang Of Four are they? ;)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Or split the vote......
    The Tories last won in 1983. It must be a sign.
    May is the new Maggie. She will go on and on and on......

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    TGOHF said:

Personal vote after that length of service could be a significant factor.

Tories in second place - so a split in the Labour vote combined with loss of personal vote and low by-election turn out could see a shock result.

Wouldn't feel confident in predicting that - but it does change the Parliamentary maths just a little bit in the meantime.

Flynn was unlikely to return for any votes - but it was still an outside possibility.
  • Options
    I suppose more than number of any defections (if any) it will be a bigger story if someone unexpected were to be among the number.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,966
    SeanT said:

Meh. Whatever. I think it's shite, now. Everyone will want to avoid disaster. If No Deal happens, a large number of small, ad hoc deals will replace. We will take a knock, for sure, but we finally will be outside a stagnating empire, which appears incapable of any serious and sensible reform.

There well be many small ad-hoc arrangements, but there won't be any small ad-hoc deals. IIRC EU no-deal planning includes several arrangements, but those are to its taste and imposed without UK consultation nor consent. You don't get deals in a no-deal situation, if you see what I mean. It's not a case of bureaucrat X taking bureaucrat Y to one side and saying "our governments are crazy but we can make some small arrangements, yes?". It's a case of bureaucrat Y saying "OK these are the rules which you have to obey if you want to do your business in our patch". There are ways to describe that, but "deal" isn't one of them.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

I was told 5 defections with perhaps 1 more female.

Lol. The women continue to just be there to make the tea in Labour.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Am I the only person becoming evermore sanguine about No Deal?

Project Apocalypse has just gone so far it has lost all impact (the Queen will be evacuated? I mean, really? The Royal Family stayed in London during the Blitz, for feck's sake). Also the endless tedious Brexit party-politicking has made me switch off, it's too boring.

The end result is I now don't give a fuck if we No Deal Brexit, I don't think it will be that bad - we can see the mitigation already happening - and I reckon the EU will be eager to mend fences and build bridges very quickly. We will be in a much stronger position once we are out and entirely free. Yes we will suffer, but the EU will have to negotiate with us as a relative equal, like Canada, rather than a captive supplicant, like Greece.

Even if I am horribly wrong, that is my psychology. I suspect it is shared.

All No Deal will do is aggravate the crisis. It is the absence of a deal, not an alternative to it. It's viable only if we never have any arrangement with the EU on anything at all, ever. So it's not viable at all. It's simply displacement activity to avoid facing reality.
    Meh. Whatever. I think it's shite, now. Everyone will want to avoid disaster. If No Deal happens, a large number of small, ad hoc deals will replace. We will take a knock, for sure, but we finally will be outside a stagnating empire, which appears incapable of any serious and sensible reform.
    Doubtful. The EU will say, want a deal on X? Sign the Withdrawal Agreement and we're ready to talk. At some point we'll sign. I don't think it will be long. Weeks at most.
    Personally, I think the EU will probably blink, to an extent, and we will get some legal declaration on the backstop, and TMay will nudge her Deal over the line.

But if we get No Deal then I do not believe we will run begging to the EU. It is not human , nature: instead a kind of bunker mentality will take over. Us V Them.

As "they" and "them" are multiple, I suspect they will fragment, and offer us a better deal. Berlin will tell Dublin to suck it up.

It will still hurt us, of course; I don't deny that. Brexit is bound to be painful, a bit like giving birth, as I might have said before.
    Wasn't your first statement reported in the Times to be what Macron is proposing? A classic EU fudge, where they can say we haven't renegotiated, we have clarified.
  • Options
    Owen Who - Your time is now! :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Presumably:

Chuka Umunna
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Leslie

They are not even close to being political heavyweights. They can't even muster someone with significant ministerial experience to join them in this escapade.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Project Apocalypse has just gone so far it has lost all impact (the Queen will be evacuated? I mean, really? The Royal Family stayed in London during the Blitz, for feck's sake). Also the endless tedious Brexit party-politicking has made me switch off, it's too boring.

The end result is I now don't give a fuck if we No Deal Brexit, I don't think it will be that bad - we can see the mitigation already happening - and I reckon the EU will be eager to mend fences and build bridges very quickly. We will be in a much stronger position once we are out and entirely free. Yes we will suffer, but the EU will have to negotiate with us as a relative equal, like Canada, rather than a captive supplicant, like Greece.

All No Deal will do is aggravate the crisis. It is the absence of a deal, not an alternative to it. It's viable only if we never have any arrangement with the EU on anything at all, ever. So it's not viable at all. It's simply displacement activity to avoid facing reality.
    Doubtful. The EU will say, want a deal on X? Sign the Withdrawal Agreement and we're ready to talk. At some point we'll sign. I don't think it will be long. Weeks at most.
    Personally, I think the EU will probably blink, to an extent, and we will get some legal declaration on the backstop, and TMay will nudge her Deal over the line.

But if we get No Deal then I do not believe we will run begging to the EU. It is not human , nature: instead a kind of bunker mentality will take over. Us V Them.

As "they" and "them" are multiple, I suspect they will fragment, and offer us a better deal. Berlin will tell Dublin to suck it up.

It will still hurt us, of course; I don't deny that. Brexit is bound to be painful, a bit like giving birth, as I might have said before.
    Wasn't your first statement reported in the Times to be what Macron is proposing? A classic EU fudge, where they can say we haven't renegotiated, we have clarified.
    France has denied that story.

https://twitter.com/independent_ie/status/1097224188887252992?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2019

France has denied that story.

twitter.com/independent_ie/status/1097224188887252992?s=21

Don't believe it until it is officially denied....again, they can spin it no concessions, clarification.

I honestly have no idea what is going on, it all appears to have gone quiet.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Presumably:

Chuka Umunna
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Leslie

They are not even close to being political heavyweights. They can't even muster someone with significant ministerial experience to join them in this escapade.
    The hand of history is now on Owen Who's shoulders. :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I suppose more than number of any defections (if any) it will be a bigger story if someone unexpected were to be among the number.

Imagine if the 4 were Chuka Umunna, Cooper, Khan and Burnham......
  • Options
    edited February 2019

kle4 said:

Khan won't go anywhere. He is the ultimate political opportunist, why would he rock the boat when he is nailed on to win re-election in London under the Labour banner and then he can wait his time to see where things go in the next few years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Yes, that would definitely be newsworthy. Sadly, I think it is v unlikely.
    If this new party gets anywhere, and is clearly the Remain/Rejoin party, Sadiq Khan is going to have some thinking to do.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2019
    LOL, Sadiq Khan ain't going to be touching this "new party" with a bargepole. He actually has some basic political nous.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

For the first part, yes. The EU wants the deal and will happily connive in unicorns to achieve it as "May's Deal", aka as the Political Statement, demonstrates. But if it does go to No Deal, that is when it will get very hard edged. The EU will drive to the Withdrawal Agreement all the time. No Deal cuts across far too many vested interests. We will sign anything within days, I think. All of this only gets us to the next stage, of course, whether we go for the deal before we crash out, or not.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

LOL, Sadiq Khan ain't going to be touching this "new party" with a bargepole. He actually has some basic political nous.

Oh, he won't be joining it straight away, certainly not with just 4 ex-Lab MPs. But if they get cross-party defections and end up polling 10%+ nationally that would probably mean nearer 30% in London, and they'd be a likely second preference for much of the Tory vote as well.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,966
    edited February 2019

kle4 said:

Chuka Khan. Chuka Khan. Chuka Khan Umunna Umunna Khan Cooper Khan, Burnham Burnham, Burnham Burnham that's all I wanna do, Chuka Khan... :)

Pause.

OK, possibly time to go to bed now... :(
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:
    They will target marginals because:

1. They can't win their current Labour seats; and

2. standing in marginals will hurt Labour most?
    They would be likely to pick up votes which otherwise would have gone to the Libdems - rather than Labour!
  • Options
    With Corbyn up to tweet his paying respects to Flynn I wonder if he is also having a chuckle at all the commotion about a handful of malcontents.

Though it's probably an aide running the account, I would hope
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    This has been talked about for ages and many do remember the challenge to Gordon Brown that never quite materialised. Not surprisingly its all viewed with a jaundiced eye.

Yet, there is only so much kite flying and talking that can be done, even amongst Labour MPs.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

This has been talked about for ages and many do remember the challenge to Gordon Brown that never quite materialised. Not surprisingly its all viewed with a jaundiced eye.

Yet, there is only so much kite flying and talking that can be done, even amongst Labour MPs.

Long time....no post?

We all remember the day of the snow plot.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

With Corbyn up to tweet his paying respects to Flynn I wonder if he is also having a chuckle at all the commotion about a handful of malcontents.

Magic Grandpa is actually handling his own twitter account, seems highly unlikely.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jezza will be thinking about how Lenin and Stalin dealt with their "malcontents" :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Yes, that would definitely be newsworthy. Sadly, I think it is v unlikely.
    I never said it was likely. Just trying to think which 4 people currently in Labour would most rock the boat by jumping overboard.

You could change out for Khan for Balls..... Not an MP, but someone who seems to have gotten more respect since leaving Westminster politics.
  • Options

kle4 said:

You think Magic Grandpa is actually handling his own twitter account?
    No, Hence the second paragraph. But I was speculating on his mood if he were indeed on Twitter right now
  • Options

kle4 said:

You think Magic Grandpa is actually handling his own twitter account? Seems highly unlikely.
    In between tending his allotment and jam making he might find the time for a few tweets...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

Am now watching the final part of the BBC docu on the EU, on the migrant crisis.

My God, the staggering, world-class stupidity of Merkel. Utterly, calamitously myopic and imbecilic. Virtue signalling on a global level, which led to Brexit, inter alia. What a dumb fucking cow.

And now she has to find jobs for a million mostly unskilled people....with the Germany economy flat-lining and of course a future where China are getting better and better at high end manufacture (and willing to steal whatever IP is required to continue to improve further).
  • Options

SeanT said:

Am now watching the final part of the BBC docu on the EU, on the migrant crisis.

My God, the staggering, world-class stupidity of Merkel. Utterly, calamitously myopic and imbecilic. Virtue signalling on a global level, which led to Brexit, inter alia. What a dumb fucking cow.

And now she has to find jobs for a million mostly unskilled people....with the Germany economy flat-lining.
    When is she standing down? It may not be her issue for long.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

And now she has to find jobs for a million mostly unskilled people....with the Germany economy flat-lining.
    Good point. Her replacement has got a hell of a job to deal with this.
  • Options
    Kinnock being part of the splinter group would have symbolic significance.

I just don't think he has the balls to do it.
  • Options
    Oh FFS...

UK security chiefs have advised that the risk of using Huawei technology in the new superfast 5G could be contained despite US warnings about opening the telecoms network up to Chinese cyber-espionage, according to sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/17/uk-security-chiefs-huawei-risk-in-5g-can-be-contained
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Kinnock being part of the splinter group would have symbolic significance.

I just don't think he has the balls to do it.

I don't think any of them have the cullions - or the ovaries - to do it, except maybe Chuka and Leslie. I wish I was wrong. We need a decent Opposition. We need 200 Labour MPs to reassemble as the Official Oppostion.

I hereby register my respect for any Labour MP that does this. Bravo.
    I do tend to agree. If all of those who voted for the VONC in Corbyn were to walk, it would be a significant moment. But we aren't looking at that. We are looking a bunch of dilettantes and nobodies. There isn't a single person of stature being rumoured.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    valleyboy said:

I was told 5 defections with perhaps 1 more female.

The woman as an afterthought ....

Typical Labour

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2019
    Just out of interest James O'Brien is taking a half term break from his 10am to 1pm morning show on LBC this week. His show is being hosted by a different guest politician every day - here are the lucky guest hosts:

Tom Watson
    Jess Phillips
    Anna Soubry
    Emily Thornberry and
    David Lammy

I presume Jacob Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage weren't available - at O'Brien's insistence!!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I thought Merkel was remaining Chancellor until the next Federal elections - which will take place in September or October 2021. So we have another two and a half years to endure.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yes - he has a Mayoral election to win in 15 months and if he quits he won't be the Labour candidate. Not nous - just obvious self interest.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Just out of interest James O'Brien is taking a half term break from his 10am to 1pm morning show on LBC this week. His show is being hosted by a different guest politician every day - here are the lucky guest hosts:

Tom Watson
    Jess Phillips
    Anna Soubry
    Emily Thornberry and
    David Lammy

I presume Jacob Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage weren't available - at O'Brien's insistence!!

Not exactly a politically balanced set of choices...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

SeanT said:

And now she has to find jobs for a million mostly unskilled people....with the Germany economy flat-lining and of course a future where China are getting better and better at high end manufacture (and willing to steal whatever IP is required to continue to improve further).
    You can sort of understand why she did it, because the last year in which Germany had more births than deaths was 1972.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

You can sort of understand why she did it, because the last year in which Germany had more births than deaths was 1972.
    That wasn't the stated reason at the time, and in any case, there are probably better and less divisive ways of encouraging legal immigration in a more gradual way. Making huge snap policy decisions in sensitive areas, running roughshod over established protocol in the process, is not typically seen as conducive to high quality long term outcomes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    Looking at the alleged impending split(s), I don't understand the timing in pure political terms. If say 4-5 Labour MPs and 2-3 Tory MPs say they're forming a new grouping or a new party, it'll be big news for a day or two, but it'll then get completely blotted out by the Return of Brexit next week. In two weeks' time most people would struggle to remember who it was that resigned.

By contrast, if they do it after the Brexit votes, they can claim it's partly a reaction to whatever they don't like about them, and it becomes part of the main story.

I'm not one of those who is virulent about party-changers - MPs evolve just like everyone else, as do their parties, and in a democracy we're all entitled to. It's the other side of the coin that MPs shouldn't assume they have a God-given right to represent their ;parties forever. But this just seems to me rather odd, and notably devoid of confirmed press leaks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

Looking at the alleged impending split(s), I don't understand the timing in pure political terms. If say 4-5 Labour MPs and 2-3 Tory MPs say they're forming a new grouping or a new party, it'll be big news for a day or two, but it'll then get completely blotted out by the Return of Brexit next week. In two weeks' time most people would struggle to remember who it was that resigned.

By contrast, if they do it after the Brexit votes, they can claim it's partly a reaction to whatever they don't like about them, and it becomes part of the main story.

I'm not one of those who is virulent about party-changers - MPs evolve just like everyone else, as do their parties, and in a democracy we're all entitled to. It's the other side of the coin that MPs shouldn't assume they have a God-given right to represent their ;parties forever. But this just seems to me rather odd, and notably devoid of confirmed press leaks.

Maybe there are more splitters lined up for a series of announcements in the next few weeks. Seven is not bad as a start, and we know there are many more very unhappy Labour MPs.
This discussion has been closed.