Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May – the wrong woman for her time?

Comments

• Options

I hope somene with better knowledge than me could set out the amendments, the effect, their support, and the overall trajectory for next week and beyond

To be honest I do not have a clue

This very good site is likely to have an explainer on them within a few days. I'll keep a look-out and flag it up when they have one:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers
    Thanks Ben
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Norm said:

Norm said:

I dunno, TMay looks hopelessly incompetent right now but you have to wait to see the outcome.

Imagine parliament "forces" a Remain vs Deal referendum on her. A few months from now we could easily have:
    * Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM
    * Her enemies marginalized, feuding and discredited

...and people will be asking if she planned the whole thing.

A remainer drug ridden fantasy I'd suggest
    Which part don't you buy?
    I can imagine Brexit cancelled but the idea there'd still be a functioning Tory party afterwards is shall we say politely a tad unlikely.
    There's a functioning Tory party now?!?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    Scott_P said:

eek said:

That's a problem for all Labour MPs in Leave areas - As shadow Brexit minister Jenny Chapman will have a particular problem squaring the circle as there is little interest in another vote in her constituency...

https://twitter.com/JennyChapman/status/1085091453053923329

If she wanted to Leave she should have voted for the deal
    Tell me something I told her last week....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    For those of us not following every twist and turn of this soap opera can anyone explain the significance?
    In short, Labour amendment won't pass.
    But there look to be plenty of other runners and riders in the Parliament Takes Back Control stakes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Norm said:

Norm said:

I dunno, TMay looks hopelessly incompetent right now but you have to wait to see the outcome.

Imagine parliament "forces" a Remain vs Deal referendum on her. A few months from now we could easily have:
    * Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I can imagine Brexit cancelled but the idea there'd still be a functioning Tory party afterwards is shall we say politely a tad unlikely.
    What do you think would happen to the Tory Party specifically? Is everybody going to leave?
    Probably, lots.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    For those of us not following every twist and turn of this soap opera can anyone explain the significance?
    Thanks Mortimer.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,003
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Those plotting to resign backed her in the confidence vote (presumably). Why did they do so if hey were so unhappy with her leadership!? She's never given any indication she would compromise with Remainers despite obvious parliamentary arithmetic, so what did these ministers expect!?
    That 's been the odd thing. Why the hell did people who loathe Thersa May keep her in office?
    Because they want to advance their careers and she's the blame sponge. They keep their heads down, she messes up, they come out of der bunker and rule the rubble.
    I thought that was the strategy years ago, since dealing with Brexit was likely to destroy whoever was at the helm. But it's been so incompetent there may not be survivors from out of the bunker, and they should have taken their chances and fled.

As they will, I am sure, claim later they opposed what May was doing, they intend to treat us all like absolute cretins, by pretending they had no choice.
    Nahh. They'll just blame the EU/Remainers/May/the weather/small dogs/insufficient soap/Gloria Estefan/anything... :(
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

If Brexit gets cancelled, then I think Farage's new party will be riding high in the polls.
    If Brexit were cancelled after a referendum, a Farage party would have some tricky positioning to do.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

If Brexit gets cancelled, then I think Farage's new party will be riding high in the polls.
    I'd vote for it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

If Brexit were cancelled after a referendum, a Farage party would have some tricky positioning to do.
    Why?

Remain refused to accept the result of the first referendum, so why should we accept the result of the second?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I hope somene with better knowledge than me could set out the amendments, the effect, their support, and the overall trajectory for next week and beyond

To be honest I do not have a clue

Be careful. You could be in line for a Cabinet role if you keep on like that.
    I think that goes for all 650 of them
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Thanks Mortimer.
    I just had deja vu of this post. Hard to tell nowadays though.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

This is going to happen either way (since there is no possible outcome where anti-EU people don't think they were betrayed) but Labour are just as implicated and the Tories, and they're still led by Jeremy Corbyn, so the Tories are still favourites for 2022.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Excuse the segue, but this illuminates something I find incredibly annoying: namely, are we getting Cabinet leaks in real-time now? It's gotten so bad you could go thru the leaks and construct the meetings minute-by-minute. It's really annoying
    We may as well have the meetings streamed to us live.
    "And tonight in the Big Brother House, Phil and Theresa are drinking tea in the garden, while Boris makes love to himself..."

Eventually life imitates art.

• Options
    Things do seem to be bubbling up to a nice crescendo for ealy next week!

'May you live in interesting times' indeed.
  • Options
    eek said:

Who on earth would donate to a campaign where the only thing on the table is a deal most MPs hate...
    May as well bring back the 2017 dementia tax. Be about as popular.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    This is all very plausible and may be true but in fact we are going to have to wait quite a time to discover whether something very like TMs deal will in the end prevail as the worst of ideas except for all the others. For what it is worth I think it will. It is not even impossible that it would prevail after a 'no-deal' exit on 29th March. I don't think anything in Article 50 prevents it.

It's also the case that far too much comment has confused the WA with the final settlement; which is to confuse journey and destination
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    Insufficient to overturn Trump’s decision to lift sanctions on a Russian crook, but 13 Republican Senators broke rank and voted with the Democrats, as did over 130 Congresspersons:
    https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/426323-russian-oligarch-allies-retain-key-ownership-in-company-after
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    And me I think - certainly not the tories if they destroy brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    You might want to wait for what comes out of the Mueller investigation and the NCA's investigation into Arron Banks' donations to the Leave campaign before harnessing your sails to Farage's mast.
  • Options

eek said:

Who on earth would donate to a campaign where the only thing on the table is a deal most MPs hate...
    May as well bring back the 2017 dementia tax. Be about as popular.
    Has the added benefit that those directly impacted will have forgetten about it. (Sorry!)
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Cyclefree said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

There's a functioning Tory party now?!?
    Well strangely the Tory party does still function quite well outside Westminster.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Why?

Remain refused to accept the result of the first referendum, so why should we accept the result of the second?
    It's not about acceptance but about electoral appeal. Farage rode the wave before the referendum because mainstream politicians progressively legitimised fringe Eurosceptic positions.

That dynamic will now go into reverse. Saying "let's leave the EU" will go down like a lead balloon with people who are sick of hearing about Brexit and never want to hear the word again.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    You might want to wait for what comes out of the Mueller investigation and the NCA's investigation into Arron Banks' donations to the Leave campaign before harnessing your sails to Farage's mast.

Well yes if it's turns out Farage is a criminal then he'll be in jail and nobody will be voting for him obviously... :D
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    Given you regularly lash Corbyn for the stench of Anti-Semitism around Labour you're prepared to vote for a party led by Farage who said the 'Jewish lobby' has disproportionate power in the US?

Hypocrite much?
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    In all seriousness if Brexit goes down it will be because the ERG overstretched

It will be a cohort of labour, snp, lib dems, plaid and a small number of conservatives who take it down
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

This is all very plausible and may be true but in fact we are going to have to wait quite a time to discover whether something very like TMs deal will in the end prevail as the worst of ideas except for all the others. For what it is worth I think it will. It is not even impossible that it would prevail after a 'no-deal' exit on 29th March. I don't think anything in Article 50 prevents it.

It's also the case that far too much comment has confused the WA with the final settlement; which is to confuse journey and destination

You raise a good point. I had not thought that, in the event we end up in No Deal land and the impact is severe, the UK may be tempted to quickly pass the Deal and the EU may be happy to apply it in quick order.

Even a short period of No Deal chaos will leave a big footprint though (what would be the tariff status of goods which moved between March 29th and the Deal eventually being agreed?)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Why? 38% or so favour a No Deal Brexit. That 's a large constituency.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    KLE

Gav “The Tarantula” Williamson?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    viewcode said:

Apropos of nothing, today I found out that Eric Idle and John Major were born on the same day.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2016/03/i-hope-you-dont-feel-too-disappointed.html

More of that here.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/birthday-twins-revealed-find-out-8203476
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.

It will be a cohort of labour, snp, lib dems, plaid and a small number of conservatives who take it down
    If Brexit goes down it will be because the Tory Party could not be positive about it. They have treated it as a damage limitation exercise. The Govt has been issuing project fear propaganda against itself. They have literally been saying we are rubbish. It has just been amazing and incomprehensible to watch.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum where leadership was required. Anyone, even Andrea Leadsom, would have been better than this. They could hardly have been worse!

I tried speculating last night if there are any MPs who would be worse in this particular situation. Not that she does not have some qualities better than many, but thinking about how she is so clearly wrong for this situation as she is unwilling to act and is just pursuing options she knows will not work just to delay.

All I came up with were Chris Williamson and Chris Chope as being worse, but there have to be a full handful at least. Suggestions?
    Andrew Bridgen, Iain Duncan Smith, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, Steve Baker, and the woman who I helped to elect, Andrea Jenkyns, though I think David Herdson deserves the lion's share of the credit for that.
    You and David preferred Andrea Jenkyns to Ed Balls? You have never shown signs of being stark raving bonkers before.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Don't forget 26% of that 38% think No Deal means Stay In.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

That support has an expiry date. You won't be able to resurrect it when we're no longer in a stand off with the EU.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

You raise a good point. I had not thought that, in the event we end up in No Deal land and the impact is severe, the UK may be tempted to quickly pass the Deal and the EU may be happy to apply it in quick order.

Even a short period of No Deal chaos will leave a big footprint though (what would be the tariff status of goods which moved between March 29th and the Deal eventually being agreed?)
    I think that No Deal would most likely result a couple of weeks later with the WA.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

26%+ of No Deal Brexit's think that No Deal means we remain in the EU.....
  • Options

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.

No it will be because May threw away the majority leaving an irreconcilable majority in favour of Remain/frustrating the Tories.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Foxy said:

Excellent header, couldn't agree more.

The Tories have not really had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher - none of her successors has tried to take the party out of its comfort zone or challenged the unrealistic preconceptions of its membership. May is the latest in a long line of mediocrities who have placed the prejudices of the ageing, shrinking band of activists ahead of everything else, including those of the country. History will not look kindly on any of them, May least of all.

How does Cameron fit in that? For all his many faults, he did modernise the party, before the reactionaries took it back.
    His modernisation was merely cosmetic, photos with huskies, hug a hoodie etc. With the sole exception of gay marriage Cameron's "modernisation" was skin deep and, as we have discussed here many times, he failed to tackle the fundamental issue of Europe with results we will all be living with for decades to come.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

I think that No Deal would most likely result a couple of weeks later with the WA.
    Yes, I am inclined to agree now that @algarkirk has pointed it out to me.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

What do you think would happen to the Tory Party specifically? Is everybody going to leave?
    Difficult to say but it would certainly involve the loss of key people including some agents at a local level and the resignations of many members.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Has the EU said that the current WA would be available after 29 March?

They might be tempted - in the circumstances you describe - to impose a few more conditions, if Britain were desperate for a transition deal.

Unfair? Possibly. But the temptation to teach Britain a lesson will be there, from some EU countries, anyway. For instance, some affected countries might want to seek specific compensation for the damage suffered in the interim.

But sometimes it's the first offer which is the best, not the last, especially not if you're desperate or more desperate than your counterpart, and they're in a stronger position than you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    edited January 2019
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

I think if confronted by flames in the road people will slam the accelerator, thinking they'll come out ok on the other side. And it will work in the short term because it'll be a more positive message.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum where leadership was required. Anyone, even Andrea Leadsom, would have been better than this. They could hardly have been worse!

I tried speculating last night if there are any MPs who would be worse in this particular situation. Not that she does not have some qualities better than many, but thinking about how she is so clearly wrong for this situation as she is unwilling to act and is just pursuing options she knows will not work just to delay.

All I came up with were Chris Williamson and Chris Chope as being worse, but there have to be a full handful at least. Suggestions?
    Andrew Bridgen, Iain Duncan Smith, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, Steve Baker, and the woman who I helped to elect, Andrea Jenkyns, though I think David Herdson deserves the lion's share of the credit for that.
    You and David preferred Andrea Jenkyns to Ed Balls? You have never shown signs of being stark raving bonkers before.
    I'd be truly mortified if that were me TSE.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Until someone is elected you cannot always tell their quality. It's why we trust to the brand.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Iunlikely.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
    I don't know where that figure comes from, but even if correct, that leaves a big constituency of hardliners.

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

That support has an expiry date. You won't be able to resurrect it when we're no longer in a stand off with the EU.
    Easily. It's a hell of a lot of people who want out.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

I think if confronted by flames in the road people will slam the accelerator, thinking they'll come out ok on the other side. And it will work in the short term because it'll be a more positive message.
    Until the tyres melt, and the occupants asphyxiate
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

That's true, but I don't see how that changes. The ingredients for political paralysis seem strong enough to survive the immediate impacts of no deal, particularly when the stodge's of the world are mocking anyone who worries about it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Iunlikely.

I don't know where that figure comes from, but even if correct, that leaves a big constituency of hardliners.
    It does. I can live with that.

• Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

By which point it is too late.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Not enough, or parliamentarians would have snapped up the chance to leave by now.
  • Options
    One clever thing May has done is the £65 thing. That's the headline on the BBC main page, rather than her redundant plan which has already been attempted.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

To be fair, she’d probably have been shit on Strictly.....

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's a hell of a lot of people who want the government to "stand up to the EU" in the negotiations. It's context dependent.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    kle4 said:

One clever thing May has done is the £65 thing. That's the headline on the BBC main page, rather than her redundant plan which has already been attempted.

That’s more a reflection of gullibility at the BBC than cleverness in May.
  • Options
    https://www.derryjournal.com/news/abandoned-lorry-and-attempted-hijacking-of-bus-spark-two-more-derry-alerts-1-8778711

There have been two further security alerts in Derry this Monday evening, sparked by an abandoned lorry near the Glen and the reported attempted hijacking of a bus in Galliagh, the PSNI have confirmed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

28% according to ICM. It’s vaguely reassuring that less than a third of my countrymen and women are imbeciles.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited January 2019

kyf_100 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Why?

It's not about acceptance but about electoral appeal. Farage rode the wave before the referendum because mainstream politicians progressively legitimised fringe Eurosceptic positions.

That dynamic will now go into reverse. Saying "let's leave the EU" will go down like a lead balloon with people who are sick of hearing about Brexit and never want to hear the word again.
    Still living in that fantasy world William. The problems of the last few months have made hatred of the EU even greater amongst Leavers. There is no turning that back. No matter what happens now a huge part of the British public will continue to hate both the EU and its supporters.

I don't think it is a sensible attitude but it is becoming ever more prevalent and I suspect it accounts for that growth in No Deal support.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

They might be tempted - in the circumstances you describe - to impose a few more conditions, if Britain were desperate for a transition deal.

Unfair? Possibly. But the temptation to teach Britain a lesson will be there, from some EU countries, anyway. For instance, some affected countries might want to seek specific compensation for the damage suffered in the interim.

But sometimes it's the first offer which is the best, not the last, especially not if you're desperate or more desperate than your counterpart, and they're in a stronger position than you.
    All of that is true. But if the disruption is severe I think any hurdles in the way of the WA would all be swept away in a week or so.

Of course, if the ERG headbangers are right and the disruption is minimal then we would work it out as we go along.

But I think there are far, far too many things that will not work very well for the cumulative effect to be anything other than chaos.

And No Dealers should be well aware that all those voters who currently support No Deal will evaporate away faster than a puddle in the desert if it all goes pear-shaped - they will quickly claim to have been 'totally misled by politicians' or similar.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Not enough, or parliamentarians would have snapped up the chance to leave by now.
    I think one of the biggest errors in politics is the belief that people do not mean what they say.

• Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Isn't the legal position that if the WA is not agreed and enacted by 29 March (and assuming no extension of Article 50) then at that point Britain becomes a third country.

Legally, I'm not at all sure that the EU could sign a Withdrawal Agreement with a third country. It would not make any sense. All the rights and obligations of being a Member State would have gone and there would have been no mechanism to preserve them - as the WA does.

So you'd be looking to reinstate them in some way i.e. a sort of rejoining in order then to leave via a transition agreement.

Politically, who knows?
  • Options

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed, I wonder if that is May's Plan B
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The Tories have not really had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher - none of her successors has tried to take the party out of its comfort zone or challenged the unrealistic preconceptions of its membership. May is the latest in a long line of mediocrities who have placed the prejudices of the ageing, shrinking band of activists ahead of everything else, including those of the country. History will not look kindly on any of them, May least of all.

How does Cameron fit in that? For all his many faults, he did modernise the party, before the reactionaries took it back.

Which shows he never modernised it. He ended up doing what Blair did - he pushed his party to its extreme.

• Options

kyf_100 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Why?

Still living in that fantasy world William. The problems of the last few months have made hatred of the EU even greater amongst Leavers. There is no turning that back. No matter what happens now a huge part of the British public will continue to hate both the EU and it's supporters.

I don't think it is a sensible attitude but it is becoming ever more prevalent and I suspect it accounts for that growth in No Deal support.
    It doesn't matter how much you hate the EU. You still only get one vote.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Hmm .... see my post just now. That may be a misunderstanding of the legal position. And, possibly, also the political position.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Isn't the legal position that if the WA is not agreed and enacted by 29 March (and assuming no extension of Article 50) then at that point Britain becomes a third country.

Legally, I'm not at all sure that the EU could sign a Withdrawal Agreement with a third country. It would not make any sense. All the rights and obligations of being a Member State would have gone and there would have been no mechanism to preserve them - as the WA does.

So you'd be looking to reinstate them in some way i.e. a sort of rejoining in order then to leave via a transition agreement.

Politically, who knows?
    I think at that point it moves straight to the FTA negotiations. But you can bet they will he a lot tougher if we have just walked away with No Deal.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    kle4 said:

It was a transparent attempt to distract. It worked, but why did she need it?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

28% according to ICM. It’s vaguely reassuring that less than a third of my countrymen and women are imbeciles.

Worth noting again in the spirit of fairness that 26% of that 28% 'No Dealers' are actually imbecilic Remainers who think No Deal means stay in.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 2019
    Norm said:

Difficult to say but it would certainly involve the loss of key people including some agents at a local level and the resignations of many members.

That sounds survivable. If you're a non-EU-extremist leader like TMay it's better than survivable, because those people are your enemies.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

Apropos of nothing, today I found out that Eric Idle and John Major were born on the same day.

More of that here.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    Natalie Wood’s death at the tender age of 43 is one of the great Tinsel Town mysteries. I won’t mention names as Mike’s lawyers might get twitchy. Suffice to say it is easily googlable and the case remains open. She was a wonderful actress and memorable particularly for her role in The Great Race, one of the best race capers of all time.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Why?

Still living in that fantasy world William. The problems of the last few months have made hatred of the EU even greater amongst Leavers. There is no turning that back. No matter what happens now a huge part of the British public will continue to hate both the EU and it's supporters.

It doesn't matter how much you hate the EU. You still only get one vote.
    I wasn't referring to me. I already said it wasn't a sensible attitude.

Your mistake is forgetting that everyone only gets one vote... but those votes do tend to add up when people are angry.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

All of that is true. But if the disruption is severe I think any hurdles in the way of the WA would all be swept away in a week or so.

Of course, if the ERG headbangers are right and the disruption is minimal then we would work it out as we go along.

But I think there are far, far too many things that will not work very well for the cumulative effect to be anything other than chaos.

And No Dealers should be well aware that all those voters who currently support No Deal will evaporate away faster than a puddle in the desert if it all goes pear-shaped - they will quickly claim to have been 'totally misled by politicians' or similar.
    Politically you may be right. I certainly agree with your last paragraph.

I don't know if my legal interpretation is right (see my other posts). But if it is, it may be more difficult than you suggest.

Whatever happens, it will be a bit of a mess. Just as well we have such exceptional leaders to look after us, eh. ..... :(
  • Options

Foxy said:

Which shows he never modernised it. He ended up doing what Blair did - he pushed his party to its extreme.

Rather, it shows that "modernisation" is a dead end. The traditionalists push back.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Hmm .... see my post just now. That may be a misunderstanding of the legal position. And, possibly, also the political position.
    Tbh I still think it's unlikely we'll get to the point of No Deal. Next week could be pivotal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    I'm already out - I can't vote for Wollaston.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

It seems like this is where the emergency extension idea would need to come in, if there was clarity the deal would definitely be approved now but it was so late all the other preparatory work was not ready so could they give us more time. But with no realistic prospect of that it's not in their interests to extend.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

It was a transparent attempt to distract. It worked, but why did she need it?
    Because her plan is no plan at all, obviously. The headline should be 'May's plan in tatters' or something.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    Natalie Wood’s death at the tender age of 43 is one of the great Tinsel Town mysteries. I won’t mention names as Mike’s lawyers might get twitchy. Suffice to say it is easily googlable and the case remains open. She was a wonderful actress and memorable particularly for her role in The Great Race, one of the best race capers of all time.
    That is our number one family film. We watch it at least a couple of times a year. Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk are just a genius comedy pairing. And the pie fight at the end is by far the best in cinema history.
  • Options
    Still struggling to see how we avoid a No Deal departure. I just don’t see hundreds of career politicians having the ability, the bravery, to put the country first. There’s just too much incentive to carry on not finding a solution.
  • Options

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I'd vote for it.
    I'm already out - I can't vote for Wollaston.
    I don't think I could, either.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Until someone is elected you cannot always tell their quality. It's why we trust to the brand.
    Anyone even vaguely interested in politics ought to have been able to tell that Ed Balls is a class act.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Broadband

I am with thephone.coop. It is a reseller using talktalk wholesale for the backhaul and local loop unbundling (LLU). The prices are good and quality is reliable.

If you want good WiFi then either buy a better router than the one provided by your ISP or use powerline extenders if you have a large house.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Rather, it shows that "modernisation" is a dead end. The traditionalists push back.
    In what way did Cameron push the Tories to the extreme?

The traditionalists are not, IMO, traditionalists at all. They're nostalgic. The two are different.

Any good worthwhile tradition does reinvent itself and modernises, if subtly and slowly. Sensible traditionalists realise that times change and that they - and generations after them - have to change too. If you want to look at the famous father of conservatism, Burke, he wrote that we owe a duty not just to the current generation and to those who have died but also to those who have yet to be born. It seems to me that a lot of the traditionalists have forgotten that important bit of their Burkean Conservative tradition.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Politically you may be right. I certainly agree with your last paragraph.

I don't know if my legal interpretation is right (see my other posts). But if it is, it may be more difficult than you suggest.

Whatever happens, it will be a bit of a mess. Just as well we have such exceptional leaders to look after us, eh. ..... :(

Even if we had decent leaders it will be a mess simply because the EU isn't designed to do things in a great hurry with third parties and we would be a third party.

Given the leaders we have we are utterly screwed.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    _Anazina_ said:

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    Yes, could not agree more. George W Bush and Sly Stallone is a good one. And why did I not know Lincoln and Darwin? Two absolute giants.
  • Options

Broadband

I am with thephone.coop. It is a reseller using talktalk wholesale for the backhaul and local loop unbundling (LLU). The prices are good and quality is reliable.

If you want good WiFi then either buy a better router than the one provided by your ISP or use powerline extenders if you have a large house.

Thank you. Appreciate it.
  • Options

Still struggling to see how we avoid a No Deal departure. I just don’t see hundreds of career politicians having the ability, the bravery, to put the country first. There’s just too much incentive to carry on not finding a solution.

They only seem to care about who will be blamed for it, not avoiding it, or expecting the other side to crack and come to their side. We need some really senior people to break ranks. A Tory to confirm for definite they will vote with Labour on a vote of no confidence if it is no deal (I know some have said they will quit, but have they gone that far?), a senior Labour MP saying the deal is the only way to get out of this mess.

There's not much hope.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Tbh I still think it's unlikely we'll get to the point of No Deal. Next week could be pivotal.
    You are more optimistic than me.

Anyway, thanks for the chat all. Goodnight.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

You are more optimistic than me.

Anyway, thanks for the chat all. Goodnight.
    Goodnight!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Anyone even vaguely interested in politics ought to have been able to tell that Ed Balls is a class act.
    Oh how we forget. Ed Balls was part of the coterie of Death Eaters around Gordon Brown, happy to be part of really, really dark arts.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

People like party labels. They might know he was a class act, but not that his opponent was so bad that he was better than the person wearing the right rosette. We don't have much time to get to know candidates, and most only spout party slogans, it is hard to tell.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

_Anazina_ said:

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    Yes, could not agree more. George W Bush and Sly Stallone is a good one. And why did I not know Lincoln and Darwin? Two absolute giants.
    The story behind her sad demise has remained largely untold outside the treble-sourced confines of Wikipedia. When you read about the circumstances, and who was on the boat, you can see why. The story would have rejected by Hollywood on the grounds of it being too far fetched.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    edited January 2019

By the middle of March the House of Commons will, on current form, still have three poisoned chalices to choose from: TM's WA, revoke or no deal. (Defer makes no difference as Substantial re-negotiation isn't going to happen. Ref2 makes no difference because both results are equally divisive). As 29th March approaches there is no doubt which is the least unattractive of the chalices. Something close to the WA will pass.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    These people make no sense - the Grievers were there the whole time, and they knew that. Have they been asleep this whole time and were just ranting about how awful the deal was inadvertently?
  • Options
    Nadine on Newsnight in favour of DEAL!!!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

That's nice. Too late Nads, it's dead.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

They only seem to care about who will be blamed for it, not avoiding it, or expecting the other side to crack and come to their side. We need some really senior people to break ranks. A Tory to confirm for definite they will vote with Labour on a vote of no confidence if it is no deal (I know some have said they will quit, but have they gone that far?), a senior Labour MP saying the deal is the only way to get out of this mess.

There's not much hope.

Neither leadership will do anything to prevent No Deal. So it requires a Hammond or a Starmer to step up. Like you, I just cannot see it happening. I’m just thankful I’ll be able to look after my family when we crash out. Sadly, there are many millions out there who are not in that fortunate position. It’s going to get very nasty.

• Options

_Anazina_ said:

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

More of that here.
    That is our number one family film. We watch it at least a couple of times a year. Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk are just a genius comedy pairing. And the pie fight at the end is by far the best in cinema history.

We never tire of that film in our family. The Prisoner of Zenda subplot is inspired. And I love the scene in Alaska with the melting ice. “When the water reaches my bottom lip, I’m sure as hell gonna tell somebody.”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

That's nice. Too late Nads, it's dead.
    You do keep maintaining it is but if ERG and DUP do support it it virtually passes

This announcement has been one of a growing number from ERG since friday

It is in life support but dead, no
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Oh how we forget. Ed Balls was part of the coterie of Death Eaters around Gordon Brown, happy to be part of really, really dark arts.
    Balls is and was awesome.

A towering intellectual giant compared to the collection of dweebs, dullards, clowns, comedians and quarterwits that pollute the front benches of today.
This discussion has been closed.