Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Tory Brexit crisis continues Corbyn’s “Best PM” ratings

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Re Citizens Assembly. What a good idea. Local areas could each choose a representative by each person having one "vote" and send them somewhere, probably to London, (would need a large building). There they could debate Brexit and vote about the outcome. I'm sure they'd reach a consensus. After a successful parlaying, maybe we could make it permanent, choosing people every few years. I suggest, at most five. Maybe it could decide other things like, oh I don't know, changes to the Law, or how much taxes we pay? This could be a way of deciding things without relying on a Monarch, or just who had the most money, land or physical strength.
    Maybe it will catch on. Mmm, what to call it though?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1085976286529490944

A Citizen's Assembly, what sort of nonsense is Gordon Brown proposing. Sounds wonderful but cannot over ride primacy of Parliament.

A Citizen's Assembly is even more bonkers than any of the other muted ways forward. What makes anybody think that some randoms of the street with have any more of an idea than MPs?

And of course the cynical side of me says it is just a way of stuffing the process with people who agree with your side of the argument.
    What if Brown was suggesting a PB Assembly?
    I would not let PB's commenters run a dog pound, never mind set the country's political direction.
    I would let them select the location for a decent meal though....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125

Chris said:

I see Betfair's implied probability of leaving on schedule has moved back up from about 15% earlier to more than 20% now.

Has anything happened to justify that?

Cold, hard realisation that No Deal Brexit is unstoppable?
    I wonder whether there was any definite news driving it. The pound still seems to be rising, so I doubt it's what you say.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited January 2019

Brexit is now globalish for massive, self-inflicted fuckstorm.

https://twitter.com/matthaig1/status/1085795949727883265?s=21

And? Brexit being a bad idea is a reason to stop it. Brexit causing other nations to laugh at us is a shame. But the open weeping and shame people seem to feel because others laugh at us is an incredibly disproportionate reaction. We have seem deep shit to work out, and we need to do that without focusing on whether other nation's laugh at us or not. Once we sort things out, nation's will react to however we choose to move forward. Remaining may be the best option for us - though people would laugh at us for capitulating then - but the 'woe is us' whines are, sorry to say, absolutely pathetic. We're in deep trouble and embarrassing ourselves, that's true enough - is crying about it every time a taxi driver or late night talk show host does a piece on us really the right way to react?
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

A Citizen's Assembly, what sort of nonsense is Gordon Brown proposing. Sounds wonderful but cannot over ride primacy of Parliament.

Isn't the House of Commons a 'citizen's assembly'? Or is he really suggesting we need more (presumably) paid politicians?
    Good question. Is it just another Parliament of Saints? Problem with giving a political question over to non politicians is it turns them into politicians, so what's the point?
    No, because they don't have members, and party executives, and career prospects, and elections to worry about
    And what it we citizens disagree with what a citizens assembly thinks it the best approach?

More than anything else the idea our parliament should essentially give up on its responsibility because they are finding it hard is just preposterous. What next difficult thing should be turned away from politicians? Why have a parliament at all? The NHS, Climate Change, Welfare, Defence, these and more are all issues that get caught up in politics, why should we let politicians near them?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited January 2019
    dixiedean said:

Re Citizens Assembly. What a good idea. Local areas could each choose a representative by each person having one "vote" and send them somewhere, probably to London, (would need a large building). There they could debate Brexit and vote about the outcome. I'm sure they'd reach a consensus. After a successful parlaying, maybe we could make it permanent, choosing people every few years. I suggest, at most five. Maybe it could decide other things like, oh I don't know, changes to the Law, or how much taxes we pay? This could be a way of deciding things without relying on a Monarch, or just who had the most money, land or physical strength.

A bunch of mindless jerks who'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

The world is wonderful. The political edifice called the EU is shit. Backward looking, shrinking and doomed to irrelevance. It is your vision that is the gloomy one.

Me, a gloomy dimwit pessimist: "The EU is imperfect but the freedom to live, work and love anywhere in a united and peaceful Europe is a dream that millions fought for."

You, a brexiteer intellectual optimist: "EVERYTHING IN EUROPE IS SHIT AND DOOMED"
    It was a bit silly of you to vote Leave, then
    With Tim, the clue is in his new username.
    I may flatter myself that I have a decent eye for writing styles, but GC really isn't Tim.
    Tim and I used to argue ferociously all the time (I used to post under my real name back then, before my John Prescott incident). I could never begin to achieve his levels of masterful irritancy. He soared like an eagle.
    Och, you're both entertaining, just in v. different ways :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    kle4 said:

And? Brexit being a bad idea is a reason to stop it. Brexit causing other nations to laugh at us is a shame. But the open weeping and shame people seem to feel because others laugh at us is an incredibly disproportionate reaction. We have seem deep shit to work out, and we need to do that without focusing on whether other nation's laugh at us or not. Once we sort things out, nation's will react to however we choose to move forward. Remaining may be the best option for us - though people would laugh at us for capitulating then - but the 'woe is us' whines are, sorry to say, absolutely pathetic. We're in deep trouble and embarrassing ourselves, that's true enough - is crying about it every time a taxi driver or late night talk show host does a piece on us really the right way to react?
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

Isn't the House of Commons a 'citizen's assembly'? Or is he really suggesting we need more (presumably) paid politicians?
    Good question. Is it just another Parliament of Saints? Problem with giving a political question over to non politicians is it turns them into politicians, so what's the point?
    No, because they don't have members, and party executives, and career prospects, and elections to worry about
    And what it we citizens disagree with what a citizens assembly thinks it the best approach?

More than anything else the idea our parliament should essentially give up on its responsibility because they are finding it hard is just preposterous. What next difficult thing should be turned away from politicians? Why have a parliament at all? The NHS, Climate Change, Welfare, Defence, these and more are all issues that get caught up in politics, why should we let politicians near them?
    As I understand it the focus of a CA would be on the process and how the matter should be decided; they wouldn't have the decision itself, which stays with Parliament
  • Options
    Rory the Tory vs Diane Abbott on QT this evening. I won't be watching.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

The world is wonderful. The political edifice called the EU is shit. Backward looking, shrinking and doomed to irrelevance. It is your vision that is the gloomy one.

Me, a gloomy dimwit pessimist: "The EU is imperfect but the freedom to live, work and love anywhere in a united and peaceful Europe is a dream that millions fought for."

You, a brexiteer intellectual optimist: "EVERYTHING IN EUROPE IS SHIT AND DOOMED"
    I may flatter myself that I have a decent eye for writing styles, but GC really isn't Tim.
    Tim and I used to argue ferociously all the time (I used to post under my real name back then, before my John Prescott incident). I could never begin to achieve his levels of masterful irritancy. He soared like an eagle.
    I'm sure OGH or TSE will be able to confirm I am not Tim.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

As I understand it the focus of a CA would be on the process and how the matter should be decided; they wouldn't have the decision itself, which stays with Parliament
    Nevertheless, why would a CA be better at coming up with process, and why should it have the authority to decide on it, when we already have a body to do that? If one body is failing to do what it is supposed to, you fix that, you don't create a brand new one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

The only reason for the PM to give the CA even a moment's consideration is that it could eat up another month towards 29th March.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

I see Betfair's implied probability of leaving on schedule has moved back up from about 15% earlier to more than 20% now.

I wonder whether there was any definite news driving it. The pound still seems to be rising, so I doubt it's what you say.
    Yes, my trades on the £ are looking good with only one position left in the red. I doubt this is because currency markets think a no deal Brexit more likely.
  • Options
    Just remember, no matter how bad things get, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WATCH QUESTION TIME.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

The only reason for the PM to give the CA even a moment's consideration is that it could eat up another month towards 29th March.
    It couldn't be done without more time
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Nevertheless, why would a CA be better at coming up with process, and why should it have the authority to decide on it, when we already have a body to do that? If one body is failing to do what it is supposed to, you fix that, you don't create a brand new one.

Citizen's Assemblies are meant to fix the issue of low-information voters, but the problem facing us is really low-information politicians.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

I don't think it would have authority, per se. The answers to your other questions are downthread.
  • Options
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Wow, maybe you are actually Tim's nemesis George Osborne.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Just remember, no matter how bad things get, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WATCH QUESTION TIME.

I never do. I gave up in disgust five or six years ago. Dianne Abbot was still on the TW couch back then as well...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

But Rory the Tory is on.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

A Citizen's Assembly is even more bonkers than any of the other muted ways forward. What makes anybody think that some randoms of the street with have any more of an idea than MPs?

And of course the cynical side of me says it is just a way of stuffing the process with people who agree with your side of the argument.
    I would not let PB's commenters run a dog pound, never mind set the country's political direction.
    There are some exceptions......
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited January 2019

We still are spared fucking ukelele muzak in every public space though....
    For the first time my Canadian daughter in law in Vancouver text after the vonc last night to ask what on earth is going on in the UK. She has not asked about brexit before

I told her we were having a collective nervous breakdown and there is no obvious answer
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That is a quite beautiful photo.

I think it's the Carnegie Hall
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

I can confirm too!
  • Options

For the first time my Canadian daughter in law in Vancouver text after the vonc last night to ask what on earth is going on in the UK. She has not asked about brexit before

I told her we were having a collective nervous breakdown and there is no obvious answer

Conference call with the US today they wanted to know what was going on.

Even with their own Trump dumpster fire
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Just tell her Corbyn crashed the country into Phil the Greek's Range Rover, it sort of summarises today's news.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

I thought that was bully-boy Bercow's job?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

You’re being much too hard on yourself.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

I would not let PB's commenters run a dog pound
    Would that include your good self? :lol:
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Indeed. A great shot.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

You don't understand percentages, do you?
    No, YOU clearly don't understand percentages.

Was 15% chance we leave on time, now 20% chance we leave on time. 20% is the bigger number, indicating more likely we leave on time. Because punters realise MPs are such tossers, they can't STOP us leaving on time.

OK, one last time. 15% is small, but the 20% is far away....

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Conference call with the US today they wanted to know what was going on.

Even with their own Trump dumpster fire
    At least we don't have a Shutdown with thousands of government employees held hostage by Donald Jerk Trump.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    I have been looking again at numbers.

I think a commitment to seek single market membership (ie Norway) in the Political Declaration would get through the House.

So would, but perhaps more tightly, a People’s Vote.

I am less sure about a commitment to a permanent Customs Union because I think May would carry even less of her Party than her Deal did.

So: which will May cave on: the No FOM redline or the No More Vote redline?
  • Options

Just tell her Corbyn crashed the country into Phil the Greek's Range Rover, it sort of summarises today's news.

Oh dear.

Sky News called it a Range Rover too, but the picture is a Freelander...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

I would not let PB's commenters run a dog pound
    Would that include your good self? :lol:
    Absolutely!!!
  • Options

I think a commitment to seek single market membership (ie Norway) in the Political Declaration would get through the House.

I am less sure about a commitment to a permanent Customs Union because I think May would carry even less of her Party than her Deal did.

You really think she's going to cave on any red line?
  • Options
    Grabcoque

You are/were both top class posters.

I must admit though the Prezza reference has gone over my head!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

You’re being much too hard on yourself.
    :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Not the same guy.
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options

Just tell her that after centuries of being famed for our "stiff upper lip", we are getting it out of our system in one manic burst....
  • Options

My late Mother used to say 'patience is a virtue'

I think a lot of us need to remember that, even though time is short

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Two thoughts on "another" vote

Those who say it betrays Leave voters. You do realise they get to vote again, right?

Those who say May's deal can't be on the ballot after Parliament rejected it. That's the whole fucking point. Parliament can't get their shit together. That's why it goes back to the people. What the Parliamentarians thought at that point is completely irrelevant.

The people told them what to do and parliament has already legislated for it. It got its shit sufficiently together. Sending it back to the people is a means of undoing that.
  • Options

She may have to blur her lines
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Yes.
    May's apparent interest in the citizens' assembly idea suggests she'll compromise on process in order to kick the can rather than compromising on content.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I’m at loss to explain that.

Unless it’s solely a trolling mechanism, which it might well be.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

Even worse idea...we would get far too bogged down in if Die Hard is a Christmas movie, how bad radiohead live really is and can boxed wine ever be ok...
    I can live with all that.

As long as we avoid debates over which airline offers the best First Class lounge, and who can come up with the most falsely modest nickname for Oxbridge.
  • Options
    Gordo’s citizens’ assemblies and A50 extension is possibly the best option so far amid a rum bunch.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

Most of the world is not interested in us. They have their own problems.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Trolling via ballot paper. I guess I could vote UKIP next time just for shit and giggles?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

You seem to think that Brexit will slow down rather than accelerate the process. Brexit really was turkeys voting for Christmas, finding the way of making a trend that they hated even worse.

you EU.
    ones.
    Not at all. The remain pitch was based on telling people with nothing to loset that they would lose something, Its a vote for things might get better versus the certainty that they wont.
    The vote was won because the cohort of appalling golf club real interest to them.
    Now youre simply showing your prejudices rather than any understanding of why people voted leave. As an observation let them eat cake tends not to end well.
    The referendum was won in the Tory shires not the hard scrabble wastelands. It was the collective decision of affluent reactionaries to put prejudice ahead of pragmatism that won it.

Look around you: pb is full of them.
    Now youre just off on one, Places like Stoke, Redcar, Nuneaton, the Welsh valleys are not natural golf club country. There was a surprising consensus across the social spectrum in my area on why they were voting.
    There you go again, using the poor as human shields. Look at the Leave vote in the Tory shires. Their decision to put shrivelled hearts over heads was the key difference and provided what passes for the intellectual leadership of the whole campaign.
    Provincial England and Wales, whether Tory Shire or Labour heartland, mostly voted Leave. Centres of government, academia, and finance voted Remain.
    An intelligent poster would ask himself the more interesting question: why a majority of the electorate on a high turnout voted that it had no confidence in a political and economic union we’d been in for over 40 years, and what it might have done and how it might have acted to have led to such an astonishing result.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's like me favouring joining the Euro.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Trolling via ballot paper. I guess I could vote UKIP next time just for shit and giggles?
    You could. And many will.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

Even worse idea...we would get far too bogged down in if Die Hard is a Christmas movie, how bad radiohead live really is and can boxed wine ever be ok...

As long as we avoid debates over which airline offers the best First Class lounge, and who can come up with the most falsely modest nickname for Oxbridge.
    and as for pineapples on pizzas.... You'd need a Citizens' Senate for that!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    This whole Citizens' Assembly thing sounds terribly worthy, but I'm not entirely convinced. Won't it just result in MPs being fed useless reports of what people recommended, which will be waved enthusiastically by those with whom said reports agree and tossed in the waste paper baskets of those with whom they don't, changing precisely zero Parliamentary minds in the process?

Besides which, you'd not only need quite a lot of time to conduct them, you'd presumably have to pass legislation first, in order to provide similar powers of compulsion to attend, rights of anonymity, and so on as with jury service?

I don't know, perhaps this idea can be made to work for helping to inform decision making in some future areas of contention - the long-term relationship with the EU, or constitutional reform, for example? But as far as the proximate crisis is concerned, we don't have the time to muck about for ages: regardless of whether there's any need for a technical extension of the A50 deadline (even assuming the EU27 are willing to permit such a thing,) Parliament needs to get on with it and make up its mind what it wants to do.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

and as for pineapples on pizzas.... You'd need a Citizens' Senate for that!
    :)
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Yes.
    May's apparent interest in the citizens' assembly idea suggests she'll compromise on process in order to kick the can rather than compromising on content.
    That's why it's an easier option for her, and for most politicians. It doesn't reflect anyone's preexisting position. They don't have to concede anything, other than time, to do it. And if and when the outcome cuts across their personal red lines, well the CA having recommended it gives politicians the cover they need to change their position.
  • Options

Just tell her that after centuries of being famed for our "stiff upper lip", we are getting it out of our system in one manic burst....
    Political turmoil is almost the norm. It 's just that we avoided it for a generation, up to the 2010's.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes.
    That's why it's an easier option for her, and for most politicians. It doesn't reflect anyone's preexisting position.
    But I sense she and we are not quite ready for this denouement yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

dr_spyn said:

Most of the world is not interested in us. They have their own problems.
    I think much of the world has a solid baseline level of affection and respect for the UK, together with some historic resentment too, and as much of that is based on cliched, outdated and anachronistic perceptions of what the UK is about and like as what Brexit’s detractors like to accuse its supporters of domestically.

It works both ways. Russia treats us in its foreign policy with far more attention than the raw numbers might suggest.
  • Options

Yes.
    "Let's get some ordinary people to talk about Brexit and come up with a solution! What a clever idea."

***various focus groups held***

Some time later (circa March 27th): "What interesting reports. Unfortunately, these ideas are unworkable/will never be accepted by that nice Mr Barnier/do not deliver Brexit. Such a shame. Now, let's have another vote on my superb Withdrawal Agreement."
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Political turmoil is almost the norm. It 's just that we avoided it for a generation, up to the 2010's.
    Despite all that, the UK is safe, secure and stable. Just with a lot more political division and drama and slightly lower growth than usual.

I’m not sure we’d have escaped much of that in the long term, even without a referendum.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WilliamGlenn would argue it’s only a matter of time before you see the light.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Extreme europhilia is the destiny of the intelligent man.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You could. And many will.

More evidence that one is unwise to take Kip voters seriously
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes.
    That's why it's an easier option for her, and for most politicians. It doesn't reflect anyone's preexisting position.
    No, we are in for days of everyone putting forward their originally preferred solution as the only way out of the impasse. Just like on PB.

It would need an extension, however, to avoid coming up against the deadline.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782

dixiedean said:

A bunch of mindless jerks who'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.
    No, we are in for days of everyone putting forward their originally preferred solution as the only way out of the impasse. Just like on PB.

Yes - but PB are on a higher level than our mps and broadcast journalists and even we have no ides
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

He’s definitely not tim but very likely another, well, distinctive, former denizen of this site.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Excellent news for once - the public is finally seeing through Magic Grandpa, and Vince Cable has made an intervention that has real political significance. Now Corbyn has to either stick to his position (in which case he can never get an early election) or do a 180 to campaign for a second referendum and Remain (in which case he can never win one, as his Old Labour base stays home).

Given this, why not call a GE? Now that the public is seeing through Corbyn, we can be confident he’ll be destroyed, surely....

As for Corbyn’s Brexit position I think he’ll find various ways to keep being ambiguous on the issue. He’s gone with this no deal line knowing that not only will many of the moderates will back it, but that May will never rule out no deal. In order to do that, May would have to commit to revoking article 50 if it came down to it, and she won’t do that knowing that her coalition of voters will not be happy with this at all.

On VC - Stephen Bush has an interesting peace on that today: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/01/how-liberal-democrats-coalition-past-endangers-their-anti-brexit-future
    Why not call a GE? Because an electorate that could breezily cripple the country by first voting for Brexit and then depriving the party enacting it of a working majority needs a long spell away from the voting booth, that's why!
    So you believe the public are seeing through Corbyn but aren’t willingly to test that theory by having a GE?
    I'm a Conservative, so I like ... conserving things. Like my sanity, my money, and the country. So even though I'm very happy the polling evidence is moving against Corbyn, there's no effing way I'd test it a day sooner than we have to - in 2022!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You two should get married.
  • Options
    Great report on C4 News about the government shutdown.

Federal employees (prison officers in this case) working full time and not getting paid.

The disgraceful act of a banana republic.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Coming up against the deadline may be the only way of getting a decision (in any direction). As long as people have time to argue their own position then that's exactly what they'll do. It's a bit like making people stand up in meetings; you get quicker (if not better) decisions. I favour making the Commons sit non-stop with no provisions until they agree something (meaningful).
  • Options
    What does Prince Philip and Corbyn share today

A big car crash !!!!!
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You two should get married.
    Or get a rEUm.

(I'll fetch my coat....)
  • Options

Yes.
    "Let's get some ordinary people to talk about Brexit and come up with a solution! What a clever idea."

Some time later (circa March 27th): "What interesting reports. Unfortunately, these ideas are unworkable/will never be accepted by that nice Mr Barnier/do not deliver Brexit. Such a shame. Now, let's have another vote on my superb Withdrawal Agreement."
    From it being A Very Bad Idea to let the plebs have a vote because they know nowt and might vote the wrong way, we're now allowed a people's vote (as long as the right people guarantee to come out and vote the right way) and we're even allowed a citizen's assembly! What the feck are we bothering with that 8 billion quid decrepit dump in Westminster for? I despair. Our politicians have dug a massive stinking pit for themselves and are furiously shovelling the shit out with a teaspoon as the fetid water rises ever higher. Let's hope it drowns the lot of 'em.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Yes - but PB are on a higher level than our mps and broadcast journalists and even we have no ides
    Beware the ides of March!
  • Options
    She's a liar. She said it would be a disaster but she's made her fortune out of Brexit!
  • Options

Yes.

From it being A Very Bad Idea to let the plebs have a vote because they know nowt and might vote the wrong way, we're now allowed a people's vote (as long as the right people guarantee to come out and vote the right way) and we're even allowed a citizen's assembly! What the feck are we bothering with that 8 billion quid decrepit dump in Westminster for? I despair. Our politicians have dug a massive stinking pit for themselves and are furiously shovelling the shit out with a teaspoon as the fetid water rises ever higher. Let's hope it drowns the lot of 'em.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the Palace of Westminster's ancient sewage system relies on an enormous tank under the building, that was installed in around 1880 and is in dire need of replacement.

I sometimes imagine said tank collapsing and the House of Commons chamber falling into it one Wednesday lunchtime during PMQs. It would be a fitting climax to this sorry debacle.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anazina said:

Federal employees (prison officers in this case) working full time and not getting paid.

Do they have a choice as to whether they work or not?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Excellent news for once - the public is finally seeing through Magic Grandpa, and Vince Cable has made an intervention that has real political significance. Now Corbyn has to either stick to his position (in which case he can never get an early election) or do a 180 to campaign for a second referendum and Remain (in which case he can never win one, as his Old Labour base stays home).

Given this, why not call a GE? Now that the public is seeing through Corbyn, we can be confident he’ll be destroyed, surely....

As for Corbyn’s Brexit position I think he’ll find various ways to keep being ambiguous on the issue. He’s gone with this no deal line knowing that not only will many of the moderates will back it, but that May will never rule out no deal. In order to do that, May would have to commit to revoking article 50 if it came down to it, and she won’t do that knowing that her coalition of voters will not be happy with this at all.

On VC - Stephen Bush has an interesting peace on that today: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/01/how-liberal-democrats-coalition-past-endangers-their-anti-brexit-future
    Why not call a GE? Because an electorate that could breezily cripple the country by first voting for Brexit and then depriving the party enacting it of a working majority needs a long spell away from the voting booth, that's why!
    So you believe the public are seeing through Corbyn but aren’t willingly to test that theory by having a GE?
    I'm a Conservative, so I like ... conserving things. Like my sanity, my money, and the country. So even though I'm very happy the polling evidence is moving against Corbyn, there's no effing way I'd test it a day sooner than we have to - in 2022!
    Thought you’d be for avoiding the prospect of a Corbyn govt as early as possible - oh well....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Beware the ides of March!
    The ides of January has been bad enough
  • Options

She's a liar. She said it would be a disaster but she's made her fortune out of Brexit!
    Not sure that she made her fortune out of brexit but her fame, yes.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Chances of a GE before 29th March: 0%.
    Chances of another referendum before 29th March: 0%.

So it's either extend the negotiation period, revoke A50, or No Deal.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

Not in a banana republic! Work or join the inmates in prison. Errrr......

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2019
    One for the "Corbyn is the only person standing in the way of a People's Vote!!!!111" brigade:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/17/corbyn-could-face-string-of-resignations-if-he-backs-peoples-vote
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's clearly incorrect. The adjectival phrase "widely understood" shouldn't be hyphenated.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Speak for yourself. I think we will get to "Back against the wall" time and then go for the only solution that is near instant - revocation. One letter and it is done.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Not Brexited yet.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

Not in a banana republic! Work or join the inmates in prison. Errrr......

Surely they must get it all back once the government opens up again? That'd be the only thing that would keep me at work. If I wasn't going to get get paid, I'd just walk off the job.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chances of a GE before 29th March: 0%.
    Chances of another referendum before 29th March: 0%.

So it's either extend the negotiation period, revoke A50, or No Deal.

Or Deal.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    In view of everything, there is one really off-the-wall idea it might be worth considering. How about asking Her Majesty what we ought to do?

If only she would play ball .....

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Speak for yourself. I think we will get to "Back against the wall" time and then go for the only solution that is near instant - revocation. One letter and it is done.
    I agree. But this won't happen until a few days, maybe even a few hours, before March 29.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Not Brexited yet.
    Even better for her then. There is a high probability that we don't leave, so even the idea of Brexit has set her up for life. Win/win for the Miller family!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

One for the "Corbyn is the only person standing in the way of a People's Vote!!!!111" brigade:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/17/corbyn-could-face-string-of-resignations-if-he-backs-peoples-vote

Yes, some would have people believe the whole parliamentary party are behind a second ref. 71 MPs have come out for one so far.
This discussion has been closed.