Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On this day lets not forget the 1998 Good Friday Agreement tha

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    slade said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Change of timing for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1085218412597600258

You have to love Parliament...

Fun and amendments..

I propose that this house bans low level letter boxes and revokes Article 50
    Even worse are the narrow vertical ones that require you to put everything else down and twist from the waist.
    Hold the bundle between your knees, or use a bag with a shoulder strap.

You’re welcome :wink:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Prediction time? I'm going optimistic, and saying May will lose the vote by 195.

I'll go for 198.
    I'll go for 178 on the back of abstentions.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Prediction time? I'm going optimistic, and saying May will lose the vote by 195.

I'll go for 198.
    125 but tbh I hope it's a lot, lot more.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

I've been unable to find any certain information about Kelvin Hopkins.
    Hoppo has an unusual profile insofar as he is a) a commitmented atheist and secularist b) a believer in homeopathy.

Ergo, he doesn’t believe the myth of a bloke turning water into wine but does believe in blokes turning water into medicine.

An odd combo!
    Oh superb.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Hi
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

I used to hate low level letterboxes when delivering newspapers. They were never big enough, chewed up the paper and all too often had a really annoying yappy dog on the other side of it trying to get your fingers. Sign me up for that one.
    Anyone who has ever done party leafletting would sign up for that in a flash!
    Can we not just ban all political junk mail? Mine go straight into the recycling. Does anyone actually read this dismal propaganda?
    It is not junk mail. It is political literature, fundamental to any healthy democracy.

Whether people read it or not depends on the area. Prosperous retireds? Oh yes. Working 30 or 40 somethings? Almost never.
    It’s utter bullshit that causes waste. Mostly lies and of zero entertainment value. Email me and save everyone the trouble recycling it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Hi

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

I used to hate low level letterboxes when delivering newspapers. They were never big enough, chewed up the paper and all too often had a really annoying yappy dog on the other side of it trying to get your fingers. Sign me up for that one.
    Can we not just ban all political junk mail? Mine go straight into the recycling. Does anyone actually read this dismal propaganda?
    It is not junk mail. It is political literature, fundamental to any healthy democracy.

Whether people read it or not depends on the area. Prosperous retireds? Oh yes. Working 30 or 40 somethings? Almost never.
    It’s utter bullshit that causes waste. Mostly lies and of zero entertainment value. Email me and save everyone the trouble recycling it.
    Heard of GDPR?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

I think the most sensible thing Theresa May could do is hold a series of indicative votes, asking the children whether they want:

- To leave with no deal
    - To revoke Article 50
    - To hold a Revoke vs Deal referendum.
    - Or whether they'd prefer the deal after all.

Those are the options. It's already ridiculously late to be be arguing about them, they need to choose one.

I think we'd need several goes around the block. Let's go full Papal Conclave: We should just lock all MPs in the Wesrninster Hall on bread and water rations until a winner finally emerges.

Nah: lots of tea, heating up high and no access to the loo. That should do it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

I'll go for 198.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823

It also constitutes more or less the sum total of her achievement as Prime Minister.

Oh, that's quite sad when you think about it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Assuming that the Withdrawal Agreement goes down to a heavy defeat, but also that the Prime Minister refuses to abandon it, the Brexit process, and her flat opposition to a second referendum, then this all comes down to what the pro-EU MPs - especially the Tory Hard Remainers - are prepared to do next.

One of the main criticisms of the Brexiteers over the last couple of years has concerned their inability to agree upon a common plan for leaving. It would therefore be a supreme irony if the much-ridiculed ERG checkmated the Remainers, and we left with no deal in place on March 29th, simply because they couldn't agree upon a common plan for staying.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

RobD said:

Rule out No Deal - and you rule out ANY chance of the EU blinking frst.

Which is why negotaition by House of Commons is stupid. In a commercial negotaition, you have a small team undertaking that negotiation, reporting to the Board (Cabinet). Ultimately the CEO (PM) will carry the can if that fails . But what you can NEVER have is not just every member of the Board giving direction - but every shareholder (MP) too.

In a commercial negotiation, the negotiators are given a clear set of objectives and constraints. Our negotiators have no clue what the end position is because our government has no clue.

The last two years have been a total waste of everyone's time. Whatever we settle on will be caused by force of circumstance rather than achieving what we wanted.
    The end position is immaterial, the EU are refusing to negotiate on that until we are a third party.
    I was referring to the Withdrawal Agreement. I suspect we also have not got the faintest idea about the next stage either and we will send another bunch of uninformed unfortunates to sit in Brussels to face a well-prepared EU team.

Frankly, I am getting to the point were I am amazed that those in govt can actually manage to write their names without help.
    Why haven't we set up our party yet? I mean: we could wipe the floor with the numpties in government. We have cats and other animals and your bacon rind all ready to take on their Cabinet jobs. What is stopping us?

I know, I know: we have a life and too much common-sense etc. Oh well, back to shoes: I have found a new website selling some utterly delightful ones and they are most diligent in sending me enticing looking emails. I have enough shoes left for the rest of my life - but, still.......
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

It should be subject to proper regulation and control. All too often the stuff that gets printed is not subject to scrutiny - meaning that blatant lies/misleading exaggeration is allowed to go properly unchallenged. There is also no mechanism to force those caught lying/misrepresenting to print and distribute corrections.

I think there is a difference between setting out your own position and the sort of mud-slinging that often goes on in this sort of literature.

I know this from personal experience when, following the death of my mother, the resulting council by-election saw a leaflet from the LDs smearing her reputation in the most blatant manner. It was only because I took the time to challenge them through the local press that I got a retraction and they got a lot of bad publicity. But that was because it was personal.

Too often, it just gets a free pass.

There should be tighter regulation of the whole thing. No a ban - but something better than we have at present. No more false bar charts!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
  • Options
    Evening all, just logging on.

Only four amendments selected out of 14? Seems a bit restrictive.
  • Options
    Hesitant from Jezza.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

It should be subject to proper regulation and control. All too often the stuff that gets printed is not subject to scrutiny - meaning that blatant lies/misleading exaggeration is allowed to go properly unchallenged. There is also no mechanism to force those caught lying/misrepresenting to print and distribute corrections.

I think there is a difference between setting out your own position and the sort of mud-slinging that often goes on in this sort of literature.

I know this from personal experience when, following the death of my mother, the resulting council by-election saw a leaflet from the LDs smearing her reputation in the most blatant manner. It was only because I took the time to challenge them through the local press that I got a retraction and they got a lot of bad publicity. But that was because it was personal.

Too often, it just gets a free pass.

There should be tighter regulation of the whole thing. No a ban - but something better than we have at present. No more false bar charts!
    So we should have some state-controlled body that gets to decide what political parties can say? What a dreadful idea. They probably had it in East Germany.

Unfortunately this is a not uncommon when it comes to the Lib Dems. It gives Labourites and Tories something to bond over at counts.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

I'll go for 198.
    145 and a surprising number of fearties abstaining
  • Options
    Let's remember that re-labelling terrorism as organised crime and stopping the media from reporting on it is not peace.
This discussion has been closed.