Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May is more popular through the first thirty months of

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited January 2019
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Have we done this?

A new YouGov poll of 25,000 people has found that the Tories are now on 40 points - while Jeremy Corbyn's Labour are lagging behind on just 34 points.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6562311/Tories-six-point-lead-Labour-despite-Brexit-civil-war.html

I don't believe it to be possible, in the present climate. Ok that's my gut vs polling which, imperfect though it is, is generally better than mere gut feeling, but I just cannot believe that, for instance, Corbyn dragging his feat on second referendum support could see such a drop, resulting in the Tories, this divided, barely coherent Tory party, so far ahead.
    Bank Holiday polling is not reliable. Moreover, this was carried out over a two week period - three or four times as extended a period than is normal.
    Nothing to do with Bank Holiday polling, the movement was all Labour to LD, the Tory share was actually down 1% but the reason was clearly Remainers abandoning Labour for the LDs as Corbyn still refuses to back EUref2. If other polls confirm that trend that is great news for the Tories, the more Labour voters shift to the LDs the greater the chance of a Tory majority under FPTP even if they do not add one extra voter from 2017
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    HYUFD said:

A poll of Tory Party members by Queen Mary University, London, and Sussex University for their Party Members' Project finds Boris Johnson Tory members preferred candidate to succeed May on 20%. Rees-Mogg is second on 15%, Davis third on 8%. Javid was the only former Remainer in the top 5

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/05/labour-faces-mass-challenge-over-brexit-policy-second-referendum

I wondered when you would pick this up seeing as you have been saying Boris for some time. Also seeing as you keep getting into tussles over Conhome surverys, over on Conhome they have been comparing thier surveys versus this poll. You may find them of interest.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. HYUFD, the Lib Dems could do with a rather more proactive leader, though.

Interesting to consider how Farron would be doing if he'd stayed on.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,994

kinabalu said:

It is fascinating, isn't it? Blair, what a phenom. A politician with sustained popularity ratings equal to that of apple crumble and custard on a winter's afternoon. Amazing. Will we ever see the like again?

No, there will never be another Tone. The stars aligned amazingly in his favour:

End of an unprecedentedly long, yet often divisive, era of Tory rule.

Tories rancorous and divided over Maggie's ousting.

Tories dubious about or downright hostile to her wishy washy replacement.

Sexual and financial Tory sleaze (real or imagined) all around.

Tory MPs popping off at regular intervals, providing lots of juicy by-elections to feed the narrative.

The dramatic calamity of Black Wednesday.

A feverishly hostile press consumed with blood lust.

A government with a tiny, or non-existent, majority held to ransom by fringe euro-sceptic fanatics.

The British Left in retreat, allowing Tone to concentrate fully on his right flank.
    If you could ignore Iraq - and that is some caveat - he was actually a pretty decent PM.
    Let's not forget that Blair won a majority AFTER Iraq. Looking back, that result is more remarkable than the two landslides.
    I wonder how much 2005 was actually Gordon's election. Amazing to think that at the time many regarded Tony's premiership as merely a kind of warm-up act - preparation for the golden age of Brown that was to come.
    I know I posted that Blair made one mistake but in fact there were two significant ones. Iraq, of course, and why he backed Bush, God alone knows. However his other was hanging on and making Brown wait. If it hadn't been for Iraq, of course, Brown might have led the party into the 2005 election.
    Interesting light shed on both those, Stark, in Andrew Rawnesly's excellent book The End Of The Party.

Blair and Clinton were very close. When Bush was elected, Clinton warned Blair that you could only be for or against him - nothing in the middle. Blair decided (disastrously) that he had to be for.
    Blair once asked Alex Ferguson what he would do with a star player who would not support the Manager, or play for the Team. Fergy said get rid of him. Blair asked 'what if you can't'. 'Then you have a problem', the great man replied.

Now I wonder who Blair had in mind?
    Robin Cook or John Prescott? Actually I understand Blair and Prescott got along quite well.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

I was beginning to wobble in my prediction that we wont in the end actually leave the EU.

Rentoul has cheered me up no end:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-referendum-final-say-leave-split-remain-a8713046.html

That could happen, but to prevent Brexit, I think one needs a change of government.
    I thought that until Theresa May was made bombproof within her party for a year courtesy of the ERG. Much depends on what Theresa May would do if her deal is decisively defeated. Offering it to the country for a referendum looks one of the likelier possibilities.
    A referendum would require Article 50 to be extended, which requires the unanimous consent of the 27 EU countries.

What would they want in return? Wouldn't they want a clear choice on the Referendum question e.g. Remain or the Deal, No Deal being the default option if there is no referendum?
    I can't see the Irish government in particular putting itself in the situation of facilitating a referendum which could result in a vote for "No Deal". And laying itself open to the accusation that this wouldn't have happened if the decision had been left to the UK Parliament.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited January 2019

Farron would quite possibly be doing worse. He was dreadful. However, had they elected Norman Lamb as leader in 2015, I think they would be doing considerably better than they are now.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    It is surely not the case that all but 19 Labour MPs would be prepared to vote positively for a 2nd referendum, particularly if Corbyn continues to be opposed to that course. The number who would not do so is far higher than 19, so the "the rest" count is exaggerated, although many would just choose not to go through the lobbies.
  • Options

Farron would quite possibly be doing worse. He was dreadful. However, had they elected Norman Lamb in 2015, I think they would be doing considerably better than they are now.
    I like Norman Lamb a lot, but don't forget he is very much we must leave because must respect the referendum. I don't think that is what Remainers want to hear.
  • Options

It's hard for any leader of the third party (by vote share) to get media coverage, especially if it is the sensible party.
  • Options

May didn’t inherit the problems that Thatcher did which is just as well because she is a isn’t fit to deal with the issues she does have to deal with. Cameron was saddled with Coalition partners and most people had worked out after 30 months that the Big Society was totally meaningless.

Being relatively unpopular doesn’t have any correlation to electability. Her successor may fare better or worse but the Tories are heading for opposition against the most incompetent Labour Party since Foot’s with May. At least with someone new leading, they have a chance of becoming electable again.

Please stop ignoring the facts just to confirm your bias.

The Tories are 6% ahead with YouGov today led by May, that is not 'heading for opposition' on any definition
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Have we done this?

A new YouGov poll of 25,000 people has found that the Tories are now on 40 points - while Jeremy Corbyn's Labour are lagging behind on just 34 points.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6562311/Tories-six-point-lead-Labour-despite-Brexit-civil-war.html

I don't believe it to be possible, in the present climate. Ok that's my gut vs polling which, imperfect though it is, is generally better than mere gut feeling, but I just cannot believe that, for instance, Corbyn dragging his feat on second referendum support could see such a drop, resulting in the Tories, this divided, barely coherent Tory party, so far ahead.
    Bank Holiday polling is not reliable. Moreover, this was carried out over a two week period - three or four times as extended a period than is normal.
    Shouldn’t more people be home during this particular bank holiday though?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A poll of Tory Party members by Queen Mary University, London, and Sussex University for their Party Members' Project finds Boris Johnson Tory members preferred candidate to succeed May on 20%. Rees-Mogg is second on 15%, Davis third on 8%. Javid was the only former Remainer in the top 5

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/05/labour-faces-mass-challenge-over-brexit-policy-second-referendum

I wondered when you would pick this up seeing as you have been saying Boris for some time. Also seeing as you keep getting into tussles over Conhome surverys, over on Conhome they have been comparing thier surveys versus this poll. You may find them of interest.
    I hope this poll will finally shut up those saying ConHome polls with Boris ahead amongst Tory members are outliers and wrong
  • Options

Probably about the same, it does not matter who leads the LDs they will get more support from former Labour Remainers the closer we get to Brexit Day and the longer Corbyn refuses to back EUref2
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    HYUFD said:

Nothing to do with Bank Holiday polling, the movement was all Labour to LD, the Tory share was actually down 1% but the reason was clearly Remainers abandoning Labour for the LDs as Corbyn still refuses to back EUref2. If other polls confirm that trend that is great news for the Tories, the more Labour voters shift to the LDs the greater the chance of a Tory majority under FPTP even if they do not add one extra voter from 2017

If this is true surely Labour will back the Referendum (and therefore it happens) - which goes against the our mutual view from yesterday that the Deal will pass?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

kinabalu said:

It is fascinating, isn't it? Blair, what a phenom. A politician with sustained popularity ratings equal to that of apple crumble and custard on a winter's afternoon. Amazing. Will we ever see the like again?

No, there will never be another Tone. The stars aligned amazingly in his favour:

Tory MPs popping off at regular intervals, providing lots of juicy by-elections to feed the narrative.

A government with a tiny, or non-existent, majority held to ransom by fringe euro-sceptic fanatics.

The British Left in retreat, allowing Tone to concentrate fully on his right flank.
    If you could ignore Iraq - and that is some caveat - he was actually a pretty decent PM.
    Let's not forget that Blair won a majority AFTER Iraq. Looking back, that result is more remarkable than the two landslides.
    I wonder how much 2005 was actually Gordon's election. Amazing to think that at the time many regarded Tony's premiership as merely a kind of warm-up act - preparation for the golden age of Brown that was to come.
    I know I posted that Blair made one mistake but in fact there were two significant ones. Iraq, of course, and why he backed Bush, God alone knows. However his other was hanging on and making Brown wait. If it hadn't been for Iraq, of course, Brown might have led the party into the 2005 election.
    Interesting light shed on both those, Stark, in Andrew Rawnesly's excellent book The End Of The Party.

Blair and Clinton were very close. When Bush was elected, Clinton warned Blair that you could only be for or against him - nothing in the middle. Blair decided (disastrously) that he had to be for.
    Blair once asked Alex Ferguson what he would do with a star player who would not support the Manager, or play for the Team. Fergy said get rid of him. Blair asked 'what if you can't'. 'Then you have a problem', the great man replied.

Robin Cook or John Prescott? Actually I understand Blair and Prescott got along quite well.
    More likely Brown..
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

The EU eventually forced France to lift its ban on British beef. The other countries were already compliant. The EU would have kept its ban just as the US did, if we weren't members. Definitely an instance where membership was beneficial.

On topic, sort of, with Corporal's excellent spreadsheet mini-series, Thatcher was far less popular than made out to be in hindsight. She benefited from a divided opposition.

No, it didn't 'force France to lift its ban on British beef.' It allowed France to keep its ban in place for seven years AFTER the ban had been revoked, despite numerous rulings from the CJEU that it should be lifted. And it has never forced France to pay the £2.1 billion in fines it should have had for that breach of the rules.

As for the suggestion that if we had not been in the EU there would have been somebody to impose a blanket ban on the export of all British beef - what are you smoking?

It was not only not beneficial, it was a disaster, a criminal enterprise put forward by certain elements that shall be nameless to exploit a public health emergency for their personal gain - and people died as a result.

That is not to say the EU is all bad - if it was, I wouldn't have voted remain - just to remind people that there are times when it got it appallingly badly wrong and showed itself in the darkest of lights.

Of course, if we had behaved like France and ignored the EU when it didn't suit us, we would not be about to leave. That's the irony.
    Rightly or wrongly, consumers found the idea of eating mad cows abhorrent. All the bans on British beef were driven by consumer pressure. The EU lifted its ban on British beef after three years only because the UK was a member and could bring pressure to bear. Otherwise it would have left its ban in place - as the Americans did for twenty years!
    So we should be a member because otherwise corrupt and illegal things will be done to hurt us?
    I don't get your point. I am simply pointing out, as a matter of fact, that the EU lifted its ban on British beef far earlier than it would have done otherwise and well before other administrations. Unfortunately British beef was seen worldwide as poison.
    The EU ban lasted 10 years, not 3. (1996-2006)

We could, of course, taken the EU to the WTO for illegal restraint of trade if we were not a member
    Did we take the USA to the WTO?
    We couldn't because of the EU I thought?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

kinabalu said:

True best PM in my lifetime .
    Personally I'd go for Major, although he was regularly stymied by the dysfunctional state of his Party.
    Thatcher, for me.
    She was the worst - and by far the most venal - in my lifetime.
    Do you understand the meaning of 'venal'?

Thatcher was many things, but there is little to no evidence she was willing to behave in a way that is not honest or moral in exchange for money.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/venal

If anyone came closest to that it was Blair - and I don't remotely think he was.
    Mr. and Mrs. Blair were like truffle hounds, in their pursuit of the fruits of office.
    They were certainly quick to pick up the scent, Sean. I guess that bothers you more than me, but that they were is indisputable.
    I don’t mind the wealth seeking.

It bothers me that they adopted a complex tax structure to minimise their payments to the Treasury
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    It looks the only thing that can be definitively ruled out is May's deal. So we'll probably persist with that fantasy for another couple of months.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Urquhart,

"I like Norman Lamb a lot, but don't forget he is very much we must leave because must respect the referendum. I don't think that is what Remainers want to hear."

What's he doing in the Liberal Democrats then? I assumed their title was meant to be sarcastic?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    There is something of Dr Strangelove about Theresa May. She will get her deal, but at all costs.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It looks the only thing that can be definitively ruled out is May's deal. So we'll probably persist with that fantasy for another couple of months.
    With respect nothing can be ruled out in this crazy business. However, you may like it to be, but that is different
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I know Corbyn (and presumably Gardiner too) are intent on making the point that a Labour leave would be better than a Tory leave, rather than just do what their members want and come out for Remain, but surely there's better ways?
    Labour leave is as mythical as the unicorn farms. It is a load of hot air about negotiating a jobs first Brexit. The EU wont give Labour the cake they want and the only way to really protect thousands of jobs is to remain.
    It is too late for a new negotiation under Corbyn, this is true, and I am surprised they are still pushing it, but I understand why, but there's unrealistic claims and then theirs very unrealistic claims.

I don't think Maggie's reputation will pass the test of time as well as I once thought. I know of ardent admirers of her back then who now express reservations or downright hostility. Yes, she dragged Britain from the mire of the 1970s, but that seems increasingly like a battle of its time. Pointing to an enduring legacy is more difficult.

I upset a family member of mine recently when I expressed the view, oft mentioned, that I really hope we are getting to a point whereby people stop trying to scare and inspire me by banging on about Thatcher. Which is not to say I think any legacy of hers, positive and negative, should be dismissed or forgotten, and in fairness the deification/demonisation of her has not seemed particularly prominent in the past few years, but it can be wearying how passionate people can get and think others should get about it still.
    WTF! It’s not even 30 years since she was fired.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

If this is true surely Labour will back the Referendum (and therefore it happens) - which goes against the our mutual view from yesterday that the Deal will pass?
    It does not happen unless TM legislates for it or Corbyn wins a GE endorseing a second referendum, both of which seem very unlikely
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Farron would quite possibly be doing worse. He was dreadful. However, had they elected Norman Lamb in 2015, I think they would be doing considerably better than they are now.
    I like Norman Lamb a lot, but don't forget he is very much we must leave because must respect the referendum. I don't think that is what Remainers want to hear.
    He's pragmatic and sensible, and his stance on Brexit would have attracted many voters from both main parties.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Why? Deal + No Deal = 339 MPs, comfortably more than the 300 MPs for EUref2 and Remain.

Either Dealers shift to EUref2 or EUref2 MPs shift to the Deal, otherwise No Deal by default given neither Deal nor EUref2 has the 326 MPs needed for a majority at the moment
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Yorkcity said:

kinabalu said:

I used to be able to completely ignore politics in his day, safe in the knowledge that they were quietly getting on with it. The hunting and shooting lot around my way didn't like him much, which was a nice bonus.

Please let us get back to this state of affairs.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Even on Rentoul's figures the vast majority of Labour MPs are assumed to ultimately back the Referendum, including Corbyn. Yet even then the Referendum does not get the 326 votes needed for a majority.

In fact given Deal or No Deal MPs combined have 339 MPs and a majority the only likely referendum that could carry the Commons and indeed the only one May would be likely to consider would be straight Leave with Deal v Leave with No Deal. Given Leave beat Remain in 2016 that would be fair enough, we should just be deciding on the method of leaving not whether we Leave or Remain
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,785

Yorkcity said:

kinabalu said:

I used to be able to completely ignore politics in his day, safe in the knowledge that they were quietly getting on with it. The hunting and shooting lot around my way didn't like him much, which was a nice bonus.

Please let us get back to this state of affairs.
    +1
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

kinabalu said:

Personally I'd go for Major, although he was regularly stymied by the dysfunctional state of his Party.
    Thatcher, for me.

Thatcher was many things, but there is little to no evidence she was willing to behave in a way that is not honest or moral in exchange for money.

If anyone came closest to that it was Blair - and I don't remotely think he was.
    Mr. and Mrs. Blair were like truffle hounds, in their pursuit of the fruits of office.
    They were certainly quick to pick up the scent, Sean. I guess that bothers you more than me, but that they were is indisputable.

It bothers me that they adopted a complex tax structure to minimise their payments to the Treasury
    Used to be in the tax racket, Charles, and had a simple view - legal avoidance ok, evasion not.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617

kinabalu said:

David Beckham.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    kle4 said:

I know Corbyn (and presumably Gardiner too) are intent on making the point that a Labour leave would be better than a Tory leave, rather than just do what their members want and come out for Remain, but surely there's better ways?
    He is Fox’s shadow so perhaps trying to one-up him.

Seriously though, when is the media going to call out what are bald-faced lies?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Agreed. You cannot get huffy about one and not the other.

Mumbling "stupid woman" under your breath as a woman who is more powerful than you behaves crassly.

A loud instruction to "calm down dear!" in an amused and patronizing tone directly to a woman less powerful than you who is being animated.

There is a distinction. Quite a clear one.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

kinabalu said:

Thatcher, for me.

Used to be in the tax racket, Charles, and had a simple view - legal avoidance ok, evasion not.
    For normal people yes.

Former Prime Ministers should hold themselves to a higher standard.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Nashe, aye, they should've gone for Lamb.

Woe unto thee who yields not to the wisdom of Morris Dancer.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Some grim reading about the lack of a benefit from devaluation which leavers keep saying will help business ...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/01/05/markets-climb-wall-worry-no-deal-brexit-least/
    Extract only:

'The biggest victim of the vote for Brexit to date has been the value of sterling. Since the final quarter of 2015, when Brexit first became a distinct possibility, the pound has lost nearly a quarter of its value on a trade weighted basis, making this one of the most serious devaluations of the post-war period. You’ll be pleased to know, however, that according to true believers in the economic benefits of Brexit, this is a good thing, as it ought, by making exports cheaper and imports more expensive, help induce a much-needed rebalancing in the UK economy towards net trade.

Unfortunately, there is as yet no sign of it. As a proportion of GDP, net trade is no higher today than it was three years ago when the devaluation began. Indeed, the only observable impact of the exchange rate correction so far is that relative to the rest of the world it has made us all notably poorer. This should in truth come as no surprise, since none of the previous devaluations have had any long-term impact on trade either. Down and down the pound has gone, but just as dependent on household and government consumption for our growth do we seem to remain.

Why is this? Why has the economy failed to adjust as you might expect? Samuel Tombs, of Pantheon Macroeconomics, suggests three explanations. One is that UK exporters are these days highly integrated into international supply chains. The price advantage they gain from currency devaluation in export markets is therefore largely lost on the higher prices they pay for imported components and raw materials.

Second, Brexit uncertainty is causing European customers to shun British suppliers in favour of Continental alternatives. Supply chains are being reworked in preparation for barriers to trade.

And third, there has been surprisingly little import substitution, possibly because British manufacturing has become so acutely hollowed out over the years that it is incapable any longer of responding to increased demand. Brexit uncertainty has also depressed business investment, further crimping the UK’s ability to substitute for imports.

The upshot is that so far there has been zero gain from currency devaluation, only cost. ...'
  • Options

Some grim reading about the lack of a benefit from devaluation which leavers keep saying will help business ...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/01/05/markets-climb-wall-worry-no-deal-brexit-least/
    Extract only:

'The biggest victim of the vote for Brexit to date has been the value of sterling. Since the final quarter of 2015, when Brexit first became a distinct possibility, the pound has lost nearly a quarter of its value on a trade weighted basis, making this one of the most serious devaluations of the post-war period. You’ll be pleased to know, however, that according to true believers in the economic benefits of Brexit, this is a good thing, as it ought, by making exports cheaper and imports more expensive, help induce a much-needed rebalancing in the UK economy towards net trade.

Unfortunately, there is as yet no sign of it. As a proportion of GDP, net trade is no higher today than it was three years ago when the devaluation began. Indeed, the only observable impact of the exchange rate correction so far is that relative to the rest of the world it has made us all notably poorer. This should in truth come as no surprise, since none of the previous devaluations have had any long-term impact on trade either. Down and down the pound has gone, but just as dependent on household and government consumption for our growth do we seem to remain.

Why is this? Why has the economy failed to adjust as you might expect? Samuel Tombs, of Pantheon Macroeconomics, suggests three explanations. One is that UK exporters are these days highly integrated into international supply chains. The price advantage they gain from currency devaluation in export markets is therefore largely lost on the higher prices they pay for imported components and raw materials.

Second, Brexit uncertainty is causing European customers to shun British suppliers in favour of Continental alternatives. Supply chains are being reworked in preparation for barriers to trade.

And third, there has been surprisingly little import substitution, possibly because British manufacturing has become so acutely hollowed out over the years that it is incapable any longer of responding to increased demand. Brexit uncertainty has also depressed business investment, further crimping the UK’s ability to substitute for imports.

The upshot is that so far there has been zero gain from currency devaluation, only cost. ...'

Who knows, without that devaluation the net trade figures might have been even worse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Agreed. You cannot get huffy about one and not the other.

Mumbling "stupid woman" under your breath as a woman who is more powerful than you behaves crassly.

A loud instruction to "calm down dear!" in an amused and patronizing tone directly to a woman less powerful than you who is being animated.

There is a distinction. Quite a clear one.
    Then I do not see it. A good rule of thumb to determine if it is actually something worthy of complaint is would the people complaining do so if someone on their side said it. In both cases that was not the case, Labour would not have complained if their PM had done what Cameron did (that is, mock an opponent, and pretending it was more than that because it happened to be a woman), and Tories would not have complained if their leader had done what Corbyn did.

Therefore both were a nonsense. And we can be confident that is the case because if there was a distinction as you claim, Labour would have claimed there was. And they didn't. Some supporters did, but Labour instead said that he simply hadn't said it.

If you were correct he would at least have said 'I did not say what is claimed, but it would be ok because X'. They didn't, because they knew attempting to draw that distinction was a fool's errand.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Even on Rentoul's figures the vast majority of Labour MPs are assumed to ultimately back the Referendum, including Corbyn. Yet even then the Referendum does not get the 326 votes needed for a majority.

In fact given Deal or No Deal MPs combined have 339 MPs and a majority the only likely referendum that could carry the Commons and indeed the only one May would be likely to consider would be straight Leave with Deal v Leave with No Deal. Given Leave beat Remain in 2016 that would be fair enough, we should just be deciding on the method of leaving not whether we Leave or Remain
    But....but...but that wouldn't be A People's Vote!

(Would love to see it though - watching Remainers going out to vote for May's Brexit to prevent End of Days Brexit.....)

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Cable’s problems (soporific, grey, tainted by coalition, potential health issues) are all shared by Lamb.

Cable’s strength and electoral USP (strongly pro-Remain) is not.

Lamb would have had less electoral appeal than either Farron (gay sex aside) or Cable. The Lib Dems’ mistake was not to get Swinson or Moran into leadership last year when no-one was looking. It’s probably too late now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Extract only:

Who knows, without that devaluation the net trade figures might have been even worse.
    Would you like to buy an elephant gun? I've owned it for years and I've had absolutely no elephant attacks. Just think of all the elephant attacks I would have suffered if I hadn't have had it. Whew, it's quite a worry, I can tell you... :)
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2019
    HYUFD said:

May didn’t inherit the problems that Thatcher did which is just as well because she is a isn’t fit to deal with the issues she does have to deal with. Cameron was saddled with Coalition partners and most people had worked out after 30 months that the Big Society was totally meaningless.

Being relatively unpopular doesn’t have any correlation to electability. Her successor may fare better or worse but the Tories are heading for opposition against the most incompetent Labour Party since Foot’s with May. At least with someone new leading, they have a chance of becoming electable again.

The Tories are 6% ahead with YouGov today led by May, that is not 'heading for opposition' on any definition
    Please stop ignoring the fact she lost a 20% lead in the polls in the last GE; lost her majority in a snap election she called and wont be leader when the next GE is held as the price she had to pay for not having the vote of confidence go against her.

A Tory lead in the polls when she is gone will be meaningful. Until then she a deadweight the Tories can do without.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

The EU eventually forced France to lift its ban on British beef. The other countries were already compliant. The EU would have kept its ban just as the US did, if we weren't members. Definitely an instance where membership was beneficial.

On topic, sort of, with Corporal's excellent spreadsheet mini-series, Thatcher was far less popular than made out to be in hindsight. She benefited from a divided opposition.

's the irony.
    Rightly or wrongly, consumers found the idea of eating mad cows abhorrent. All the bans on British beef were driven by consumer pressure. The EU lifted its ban on British beef after three years only because the UK was a member and could bring pressure to bear. Otherwise it would have left its ban in place - as the Americans did for twenty years!
    So we should be a member because otherwise corrupt and illegal things will be done to hurt us?
    I don't get your point. I am simply pointing out, as a matter of fact, that the EU lifted its ban on British beef far earlier than it would have done otherwise and well before other administrations. Unfortunately British beef was seen worldwide as poison.

We could, of course, taken the EU to the WTO for illegal restraint of trade if we were not a member
    That was the EU ban on UK beef exports to third countries to head off third country bans and consumer boycotts being extended to all EU beef rather the UK part of it. To be fair the export ban wouldn't have applied if the UK hadn't been a member. The UK will have lost some sales to countries that didn't already have bans in place.

The EU ban on exports to other EU countries was lifted after three years, as I said.

As far as I know, no WTO action was taken over bans on UK beef because of BSE. In any case that's a question for third countries as the EU had lifted its ban by then.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    kinabalu said:

We can only hope not. Smarmy, self righteous git that he was.

Its worth remembering how much respect both Cameron and (especially) Osborne had for him. I remember an incident in a biography of Osborne that he and his good pal Danny the Fink had gone to hear Blair speak at a Labour Party Conference (they were there representing the Tories, somewhat weirdly). After the speech George was deeply despondent. "We'll never beat him," he said. And they never did.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    edited January 2019
    On topic: sort of. Thatcher and Blair are the finest leaders of the last 40 years because they both had a vision of what they wanted to achieve, and set out to achieve it, ultimately changing the country.

Thatcher may have been divisive, but one can argue she had to be given the nature of the changes she wished to make. Blair may indeed have squandered his high polling, playing too conservative in his first term.

Both, in their pomp, extraordinary leaders with a global presence.

After that, Callaghan and Major are probably much of a muchness. Cameron would have scored higher than both for public appeal and administrative competence but for the referendum: that one act puts him below both and exposed a lethal complacency. Neither Callaghan, Major or Cameron bequeathed any kind of ideology or vision.

Brown had the intellectual potential to be great, but let down by terrible administrative skills.

Too early to place May. However, she has neither the charm of Callaghan or Cameron, the bravery of Major, nor the intellect of Brown. She is, however, and this pains me, head and shoulders above both her current Cabinet and the shadow one - with one exception noted below.

On today’s political scene, she is outclassed only by Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davison, and potentially John McDonnell.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Please stop ignoring the fact she lost a 20% lead in the polls in the last GE; lost her majority in a snap election she called and wont be leader when the next GE is held as the price she had to pay for not having the vote of confidence go against her.

A Tory lead in the polls when she is gone will be meaningful. Until then she a deadweight the Tories can do without.
    The Tory share actually held up pretty well, it was the opposition vote that coalesced around Labour.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Cable’s problems (soporific, grey, tainted by coalition, potential health issues) are all shared by Lamb.

Cable’s strength and electoral USP (strongly pro-Remain) is not.

Lamb would have had less electoral appeal than either Farron (gay sex aside) or Cable. The Lib Dems’ mistake was not to get Swinson or Moran into leadership last year when no-one was looking. It’s probably too late now.
    Swinson had it for the asking but essentially turned it down.
  • Options

It is surely not the case that all but 19 Labour MPs would be prepared to vote positively for a 2nd referendum, particularly if Corbyn continues to be opposed to that course. The number who would not do so is far higher than 19, so the "the rest" count is exaggerated, although many would just choose not to go through the lobbies.
    Indeed. Unless the leadership back the referendum I would have thought the number of Labour MPs voting for it would be in the low 2 digits.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Have we done this?

Since when have you been in a position to dismiss the warnings attached to Bank Holiday polls? I am sure there are very sound reasons why newspapers and other media organisations tend to refrain from using them during such periods.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Extract only:

There were news items on the BBC in the run up to Christmas on people crossing the border from Eire to shop in NI due to the bargains to be had. Wonder when / if those sales figures will be out?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

No, it didn't 'force France to lift its ban on British beef.' It allowed France to keep its ban in place for seven years AFTER the ban had been revoked, despite numerous rulings from the CJEU that it should be lifted. And it has nev

That is not to say the EU is all bad - if it was, I wouldn't have voted remain - just to remind people that there are times when it got it appallingly badly wrong and showed itself in the darkest of lights.

Of course, if we had behaved like France and ignored the EU when it didn't suit us, we would not be about to leave. That's the irony.
    He's almost admitting that the EU is no more than a dressed up protection racket. Surprising honesty from the most EUfanatic member on here.
    Jeez, you guys!

A club supports its members. If you want to call that a protection racket go ahead. But then NATO is a protection racket too. The UK is a protection racket.

The Conservative party is a protection racket... (hang on, you might have a point on that one.)
    No: what @FF43 said was the ban was illegal but it was only lifted as quickly as it was because we were a member.

My view is that an illegal ban should never have been imposed.
    I didn't say the ban was illegal. It almost certainly wasn't illegal. I was making the specific point, as a matter of fact, that, uniquely, the EU shortened its ban because the UK was a member. This contradicts the assertion that the beef ban was a negative of membership. Whether the EU could have done more for a member is a different discussion that is made moot if we are no longer actually a member.
  • Options

Would love to see it though - watching Remainers going out to vote for May's Brexit to prevent End of Days Brexit.....)

I don't think there will be a second referendum because of time constraints, and I'm not convinced there should be one at all. However should one occur without a "Remain" option, then I will cheerfully vote for the deal. I believe I have been making this or similar points for several weeks now.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/NoaiT/1/

PM's ratings change in the run-up to elections. Just to illustrate that May's performance in 2017 was off the charts terrible.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    MikeL said:

Betfair continues to suggest almost ZERO chance of leaving on 29 March with No Deal.

Look at the two markets:

Will UK leave by 29 March? No: 1.61 Back, 1,65 Lay

When will Commons pass Brexit vote? Not before 30 March: 1.56 Back, 1.6 Lay

So odds are within a whisker of identical.

Assuming that if the vote passes we 100% do leave (seems reasonable) then if vote doesn't pass then there is only a miniscule chance (literally about 2% - ie difference between 1.56 and 1.61) of leaving on 29 March.

Yes I've pointed that out too. I think that is why bookies are confident in offering 3/1 against a No Deal. It's more like 10/1 against.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,070

Would love to see it though - watching Remainers going out to vote for May's Brexit to prevent End of Days Brexit.....)

A Tspiras-style referendum would result in a vote for no deal, followed by the government climbing down humiliatingly.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FF43 said:

I didn't say the ban was illegal. It almost certainly wasn't illegal. I was making the specific point, as a matter of fact, that, uniquely, the EU shortened its ban because the UK was a member. This contradicts the assertion that the beef ban was a negative of membership. Whether the EU could have done more for a member is a different discussion that is made moot if we are no longer actually a member.

Save your breath. This is the sort of EU-bashing we have had for decades that painted the EU in the minds of many as a big, bad bogeyman.

The reality is that all the Leavers are interested in is Leaving, so do not expect much in the way of agreement that the EU is not the consumer of firstborns or the breeder of anti-UK locusts.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

I was beginning to wobble in my prediction that we wont in the end actually leave the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-referendum-final-say-leave-split-remain-a8713046.html

That could happen, but to prevent Brexit, I think one needs a change of government.
    I thought that until Theresa May was made bombproof within her party for a year courtesy of the ERG. Much depends on what Theresa May would do if her deal is decisively defeated. Offering it to the country for a referendum looks one of the likelier possibilities.
    I think that would require her to be like Sir Robert Peel, and to break with her party. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

I've gone back and forth over this, but while I think only 100 or so MP's favour No Deal, as their preferred outcome, a far greater number think that there is political advantage to be gained from it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think that would require her to be like Sir Robert Peel, and to break with her party. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

I've gone back and forth over this, but while I think only 100 or so MP's favour No Deal, as their preferred outcome, a far greater number think that there is political advantage to be gained from it.
    +1
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You think they're plotting to become the first Prime Minister of an independent England?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TM is keeping the conservative ratings where they are. She is not a deadweight but then she is not pleasing your view of Brexit and therefore you live your dream that some other conservative mp could lead the country into some brexit wonderland that does not exist
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Then I do not see it. A good rule of thumb to determine if it is actually something worthy of complaint is would the people complaining do so if someone on their side said it. In both cases that was not the case, Labour would not have complained if their PM had done what Cameron did (that is, mock an opponent, and pretending it was more than that because it happened to be a woman), and Tories would not have complained if their leader had done what Corbyn did.

Therefore both were a nonsense. And we can be confident that is the case because if there was a distinction as you claim, Labour would have claimed there was. And they didn't. Some supporters did, but Labour instead said that he simply hadn't said it.

If you were correct he would at least have said 'I did not say what is claimed, but it would be ok because X'. They didn't, because they knew attempting to draw that distinction was a fool's errand.

The distinction between the incidents that I see and you do not is as follows:

If the PM opposing him had been male but behaving in the same manner, one can imagine JC mumbling "stupid man" to himself in the same way. It was tetchy, a weakness of his, but no more than that. The subsequent lie was worse. That showed a certain weakness of character. Similar to his 'didn't lay a wreath' nonsense.

DC's comment, which he boomed out in the chamber rather than whispered to himself, was taken from a TV commercial starring Michael Winner. "Calm down dear, it's only a commercial." The vibe of it was about how men often have to deal with excitable females getting themselves all in a tizz about nothing. Winner was chosen for the advert because he was famously sexist and patronizing. Or that was the image he sold rather. DC's use of it was clearly in that vein, and (since directed at somebody far less powerful than himself) a little bit bullying too.

So in summary, JC's comment was not sexist, patronizing or bullying, whereas that of DC was all three.

Phew!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

+1
    Indeed. Anyone who doubts Mrs May’s devotion to the Tory party hasn’t been paying attention for the past 25 years. She was canvassing on Saturday, according to my timeline.

There is still an awful lot of Never Brexit wish fulfilment projection going on...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

(Would love to see it though - watching Remainers going out to vote for May's Brexit to prevent End of Days Brexit.....)

They had their People's Vote in 2016, they lost.

A lot of Remainers would stay home but enough would still vote for the Deal to see it win reasonably comfortably, about 60% to 40%. Given Northern Ireland and Scotland would also likely vote for the Deal over No Deal it would have the added bonus of shutting up the DUP and SNP
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

+1
    Indeed. Anyone who doubts Mrs May’s devotion to the Tory party hasn’t been paying attention for the past 25 years. She was canvassing on Saturday, according to my timeline.

There is still an awful lot of Never Brexit wish fulfilment projection going on...
    It's her devotion to the Tory party that led her to pursue a strategy aimed at exorcising the dark heart of Euroscepticism that threatens its survival.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

If Layla Moran agrees to stand as leader, I can see Vince cable resigning as leader in York on 17th March.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

+1

TM confirmed that on Marr this morning and said a couple of constituents had asked her to agree a second referendum while another had wanted no deal, but the vast majority just want her deal and to get on with it

I actually believe that is a wide held view among the populace
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

A lot of Remainers would stay home but enough would still vote for the Deal to see it win reasonably comfortably, about 60% to 40%. Given Northern Ireland and Scotland would also likely vote for the Deal over No Deal it would have the added bonus of shutting up the DUP and SNP
    No Deal = No Brexit. The same logic that applies in parliament would apply in a referendum, and enough Remainers would vote down the deal to ensure the gambit failed.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

+1

TM confirmed that on Marr this morning and said a couple of constituents had asked her to agree a second referendum while another had wanted no deal, but the vast majority just want her deal and to get on with it

I think the common sentiment is not so much "get on with it" but "get it over with", and May has dishonestly positioned her deal as the end of the matter when in fact it means years more divisive negotiations, conducted from a weaker position.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Barnesian said:

If Layla Moran agrees to stand as leader, I can see Vince cable resigning as leader in York on 17th March.
    She would be an excellent leader.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

+1

I think the common sentiment is not so much "get on with it" but "get it over with", and May has dishonestly positioned her deal as the end of the matter when in fact it means years more divisive negotiations, conducted from a weaker position.
    I do not think she has been dishonest. She has agreed a deal that is brexit but is business friendly, but above all else she has a WDA that is widely supported by business and across Northern Ireland. Trade talks will take a long time and will evolve almost certainly not under TM
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Barnesian said:

"She will make an excellent drone!" :lol:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We can only hope not. Smarmy, self righteous git that he was.

Its worth remembering how much respect both Cameron and (especially) Osborne had for him. I remember an incident in a biography of Osborne that he and his good pal Danny the Fink had gone to hear Blair speak at a Labour Party Conference (they were there representing the Tories, somewhat weirdly). After the speech George was deeply despondent. "We'll never beat him," he said. And they never did.

Yes, they were 'Heirs to Blair' and proud of it.

TB fell foul of Messiah complex IMO. If you watch him now, there's something in his eye that is not quite right, and I don't mean a stray hair.

Still, he gave us 1st May 1997, and for that he will always have a place in my heart.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Fenman said:

Barnesian said:

Fully agree. Charismatic, good on policy, untainted by coalition but able to work cross-party, and as a social liberal, better positioned than the Orange Bookers to peel off Labour voters.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

I do not think she has been dishonest.

She agreed a deal with the EU that she knew for a fact would not get through the HoC. What do you call that?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

She agreed a deal with the EU that she knew for a fact would not get through the HoC. What do you call that?
    Certainly not dishonest. And it may yet get through in fullness of time
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So TM offers nothing for a three week delay. Can we get on with it now? Have the blasted vote, lose it and let’s get closer to whatever actually will happen. No more time to waste.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,229
    Jonathan said:

So TM offers nothing for a three week delay. Can we get on with it now? Have the blasted vote, lose it and let’s get closer to whatever actually will happen. No more time to waste.

I fear you are about to be disappointed again.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

You think they're plotting to become the first Prime Minister of an independent England?
    Remainers expect No Deal to result in horrors, and that will be a fitting punishment for our original sin in having voted for Leave. Socialists think it will usher in the revolution. Scots Nats think it will produce independence. Ambitious Tories think it will propel them to high office. The DUP think it will copper-fasten partition. And the ERG love No Deal.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

No Deal = No Brexit. The same logic that applies in parliament would apply in a referendum, and enough Remainers would vote down the deal to ensure the gambit failed.
    The voters voted to Leave in 2016, whatever method they then decide to Leave with ie Deal or No Deal would then have to be accepted by MPs.

326 MPs are needed for a Commons majority. According to Rentoul 339 MPs back Deal or No Deal, only 300 MPs back EUref2 with a Remain option, so the only way to avoid No Deal by default which could get a Commons majority and May's support may indeed be a Leave with the Deal v Leave with No Deal referendum.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

She has no parliamentary experience, has a majority of only 816 votes, and is unknown.

I am not convinced she would be any better than Norman Lamb or Jo Swinson
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Remainers expect No Deal to result in horrors, and that will be a fitting punishment for our original sin in having voted for Leave. Socialists think it will usher in the revolution. Scots Nats think it will produce independence. Ambitious Tories think it will propel them to high office. The DUP think it will copper-fasten partition. And the ERG love No Deal.

Some worry about the so called calculated risk.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Fenman said:

Barnesian said:

Fully agree. Charismatic, good on policy, untainted by coalition but able to work cross-party, and as a social liberal, better positioned than the Orange Bookers to peel off Labour voters.
    I'm convinced that if Layla Moran does decide to stand then she will secure the LD leadership which would have a big impact on the party's visibility. She's got s lot going for her and has an amazing amount of presence. She's been very strong on Brexit and it is noticeable how she is getting more media slots. The big question is whether she wants it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

TM is keeping the conservative ratings where they are. She is not a deadweight but then she is not pleasing your view of Brexit and therefore you live your dream that some other conservative mp could lead the country into some brexit wonderland that does not exist
    Tory ratings are much more to do with Labour’s chronic problems with misogyny and antisemitism than May. She is trying to railroad a deal through Parliament that 57% of her own party’s members think is second best to no deal. She blew a 20% lead in the polls and lost her majority in a snap election she called.

She is a deadweight and only an unthinking sycophant would think otherwise.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,437

kinabalu said:

I think you forgot 'Golden economic legacy that he and the iron chancellor could then piss away for the next decade.'.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,647

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, the Yougov poll did seem to think May's Deal is less popular than No Deal with the voters.

Personally, I have no fears about it.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1081682656734126085?s=19
  • Options

Barnesian said:

She has no parliamentary experience, has a majority of only 816 votes, and is unknown.

Layla Moran was educated at Roedean, the girls equivalent to Eton.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tory ratings are much more to do with Labour’s chronic problems with misogyny and antisemitism than May. She is trying to railroad a deal through Parliament that 57% of her own party’s members think is second best to no deal. She blew a 20% lead in the polls and lost her majority in a snap election she called.

You are becoming very repetitive and Con home do not represent conservative voters.

And as far as your last sentence is concerned suggesting I am an unthinking sycophant is a very sad reflection on your attitude to others, not my postings or thoughts expressed on here
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory share actually held up pretty well, it was the opposition vote that coalesced around Labour.

UKIP voters didn’t exactly swell Labour numbers though did they and nor did LibDems. The support he got was new support (students attracted by his unfunded promise on tuition fees for example), Labour support that was minced to vote Tory but stayed loyal when they saw some of her policies like social care and fox hunting, and few odds and sods from the SWP and the Communist Party.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,437
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

No, it didn't 'force France to lift its ban on British beef.' It allowed France to keep its ban in place for seven years AFTER the ban had been revoked, despite numerous rulings from the CJEU that it should be lifted. And it has never forced France to pay the £2.1 billion in fines it should have had for that breach of the rules.

As for the suggestion that if we had not been in the EU there would have been somebody to impose a blanket ban on the export of all British beef - what are you smoking?

It was not only not beneficial, it was a disaster, a criminal enterprise put forward by certain elements that shall be nameless to exploit a public health emergency for their personal gain - and people died as a result.

Did we take the USA to the WTO?
    We couldn't because of the EU I thought?
    So the moral of this little tale is, there's no benefit to be found there. Non shock.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Corbyn won only 4 more seats than Gordon did in 2010. Corbyn 55 seats behind the Tories.
  • Options

Fenman said:

Barnesian said:

I'm convinced that if Layla Moran does decide to stand then she will secure the LD leadership which would have a big impact on the party's visibility. She's got s lot going for her and has an amazing amount of presence. She's been very strong on Brexit and it is noticeable how she is getting more media slots. The big question is whether she wants it.
    LibDems - Spinning Here!
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP voters didn’t exactly swell Labour numbers though did they and nor did LibDems. The support he got was new support (students attracted by his unfunded promise on tuition fees for example), Labour support that was minced to vote Tory but stayed loyal when they saw some of her policies like social care and fox hunting, and few odds and sods from the SWP and the Communist Party.
    The entire fractured left went in behind jezza, as he’s about as left as they mostly are. Unite the left against a monstrous three figure Tory majority was the mantra.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Layla Moran was educated at Roedean, the girls equivalent to Eton.
    Is that a good thing
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,647

Barnesian said:

Yes, she has a freshness and normality that would play well with an electorate sick of Westminster hacks.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

Corbyn won only 4 more seats than Gordon did in 2010. Corbyn 55 seats behind the Tories.
    Brown had far more Scottish seats though which Miliband lost.
  • Options

Fenman said:

Barnesian said:

But thus unable to implement the economic liberalism needed for UK success.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Brown had far more Scottish seats though which Miliband lost.
    May won 13 Scottish Tory seats to Cameron's grand total of 1.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Barnesian said:

Leanne Wood of the LibDems......
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

Yes, she has a freshness and normality that would play well with an electorate sick of Westminster hacks.
    I cannot comment as I do not know her but the Lib Dems are fishing in a very small pool of talent

Leicester making heavy weather at Newport - just over 10 minutes to equalise
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

Doesn’t have the baggage of Coalition, which is critical, but lacks common touch. Does nothing for me.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Stupid.
This discussion has been closed.