Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Elizabeth Warren’s WH2020 annoucement is bad news for Bernie

2»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

There's a good chance that most of us include William the Conqueror and Mohammed among our ancestors.

Got some of that all conquering Khan DNA in there as well...
    Anyone with Russian or Cental Asian ancestry probably has Genghis as an ancestor.
    How Khan you tell the difference?
    You need to steppe back in time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

I really don’t see Pocahontas being a serious candidate. She is far too old, made herself look ridiculous with the Indian nonsense and is far too left wing to win a mainstream election. Tbh it’s time she retired altogether.

Trump would eat her for breakfast.

Just what the US needs! Another 70+ President!

Not ageist (I'm nearer her age then the vast majority of US voters) - but it strikes me that the US needs new answers, not old ones....
    Come on Carlotta, bigotry on grounds of age doesn’t sit well with you. Gladstone was introducing new bills in his 80s, while Pitt the Younger did a good job despite being in his 20s. Character, intelligence and policies should trump age everytime.
    TBF, most of Gladstone's really useful work was done and dusted by the time he was 63. At 82, all he was really doing was adding as a bed-blocker for Harcourt or Asquith.
    I was just reading what a ghastly man was Harcourt 's son, "Lulu."
    With a name like that what would you expect
    His name was actually 'Lewis,' 'Loulou' was his nickname.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest everyone called Lewis is a predatory and insatiable rapist and paedophile. I mean, I'm not Hamilton or Clive's hugest fan, but I don't think they're quite that bad.
    sounds like a lovely chap right enough
    Probably not a total tragedy that the line has died out.
    His descendants are still alive, actually.
    Male line I mean. The Harcourt Viscountcy is extinct, I believe.
    Yes, that's true.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

There's a good chance that most of us include William the Conqueror and Mohammed among our ancestors.

Anyone with Russian or Cental Asian ancestry probably has Genghis as an ancestor.
    It's plain you're on good form tonight.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, I'm currently reading a war account (sci-fi story) of a 2060s conflict between the Caliphate and Europe. Things aren't going terribly well.

It's called Repulse. My uncle rather liked it.
  • Options

I have, in the past. been told I am a distant relative of Henry Ford, and also of George Eliot.

We're also apparently linked to the family that started Royal Crown Derby. (I'm sad to say my mum's side of the family were bankers, though thankfully distant. I'd like to think we've atoned since those dark days.) ;)

I have seen no firm evidence for either (e.g. family trees), but believe the links with Eliot and Royal Crown Derby are firm. But I'd be very, very careful before attempting to make any political advantage out of such claims as they're currently just family hearsay.

Warren was very silly. But I bet we all have such stories in our families about our ancestors, and few of us would have researched them.

But if one of your alleged distant famous relatives was an ethnic minority, would you put your official ethnicity down as that minority despite your appaearance being white & sit on committees for that minority group?
    I hate these identity politics.
    I did one of those DNA test things....

I am (a very small part) Japanese.....how the heck, that got there, who knows, but Here's To Mongrels!"
    I've done my bit to turn Britain to even more of a mongrel race.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, I'm currently reading a war account (sci-fi story) of a 2060s conflict between the Caliphate and Europe. Things aren't going terribly well.

It clearly doesn't have wide Renown though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

This is just getting flat and boring. And too windy for comfort.
  • Options

I have, in the past. been told I am a distant relative of Henry Ford, and also of George Eliot.

We're also apparently linked to the family that started Royal Crown Derby. (I'm sad to say my mum's side of the family were bankers, though thankfully distant. I'd like to think we've atoned since those dark days.) ;)

I have seen no firm evidence for either (e.g. family trees), but believe the links with Eliot and Royal Crown Derby are firm. But I'd be very, very careful before attempting to make any political advantage out of such claims as they're currently just family hearsay.

Warren was very silly. But I bet we all have such stories in our families about our ancestors, and few of us would have researched them.

But if one of your alleged distant famous relatives was an ethnic minority, would you put your official ethnicity down as that minority despite your appaearance being white & sit on committees for that minority group?

I am (a very small part) Japanese.....how the heck, that got there, who knows, but Here's To Mongrels!"
    Why on Earth would you voluntarily give strangers your DNA for testing unless it's really necessary (e.g. paternity/maternity tests)? It's putting an amazing amount of trust that they'll maintain your privacy.
    It was a long time ago and I was curious.

In truth it didn't tell me anything that immediate family history wouldn't - but it was interesting to survey the hand I've been dealt.
    Worth doing a bit of reading up on how they do the analysis. It's not quite as scientific and objective as their blurb initially suggests; indeed it is quite possible to get significantly different results from the different testing companies, because of their varying databases.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well, that was just corny.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A few slightly different discussions...

I don't particularly think of anyone with one descendent 10 generations back who is X and the rest Y as a member of X group, nothing more than a distant connection.

Did Warren actively lie in full knowledge that it wasn't true. Which is possible but I lean against the idea.

That she used or abused that identity would be a slightly different charge which would still exist even if she was Native American to whatever fraction she claimed.

I have a cousin whose last common ancestor with me died on 17 January 1719 (we are having a mass and party in remembrance which is how I know the date!)

We regard each other as family.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Why on Earth would you voluntarily give strangers your DNA for testing unless it's really necessary (e.g. paternity/maternity tests)? It's putting an amazing amount of trust that they'll maintain your privacy.
    It was a long time ago and I was curious.

In truth it didn't tell me anything that immediate family history wouldn't - but it was interesting to survey the hand I've been dealt.
    Worth doing a bit of reading up on how they do the analysis. It's not quite as scientific and objective as their blurb initially suggests; indeed it is quite possible to get significantly different results from the different testing companies, because of their varying databases.
    Also worth reading this about, umm, significant results:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46600325
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,738
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Up to you to gee it up then
  • Options
    The correct answer is train station and if you disagree then you're a degenerate monster.

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1079427146185990146
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,738

The correct answer is train station and if you disagree then you're a degenerate monster.

Just outside Clapham Junction, due to trespassers on the line/staff shortages/a previous laterunning train... :(
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I really don’t see Pocahontas being a serious candidate. She is far too old, made herself look ridiculous with the Indian nonsense and is far too left wing to win a mainstream election. Tbh it’s time she retired altogether.

Not only did she make herself look ridiculous but she has over her career continuously played this fraudulent card.
    I think fraudulent is a bit harsh. It was clearly a family legend that she believed but which turned out not to be true. But Pocohontas is a killer, even by Trump’s standards. Even better than lying Ted.
    In fairness didn't she have a Native American ancestor just the connection was a few generations further back?

You could easily imagine that getting lost in the movement of time with either a forgetful older relative or just a 'creative story teller' to a younger relative who then passed the information on in good faith.

It is one of the silly little stories that people (and the media) run with but I think would have very little effect when it comes to the vote in a presidential race. Although it could harm her more in a democratic race if the story makes people think she would be more likely to lose the presidential election.
    If we're honest, the only question that should ever be asked in a primary race is, 'would this person make a good president?'

Unfortunately, as we saw last time, that question doesn't always get asked. That's how one party ended up with a dodgy failed property developer with a history of marital problems who seemed to be evading awkward questions at every stage, and the other ended up with, God help us, Donald Trump.

Therefore, the question for the Democrats must be - who can beat Trump? I'd like to think anything above 'plant life' would be in with a shout, and it's therefore doubly depressing to say I don't think Warren can. She's a slightly less tainted Hilary Clinton.

They need someone fresh. Harris would be a better bet.
    Actually, I don’t think that the right question; Clinton was an awful candidate, but would probably have made a half way decent President. Warren has been a more than respectable senator, and would quite possibly cope well with the presidency - but not the campaign.

I have been laying her ever since she was a near favourite (and recently closed out the position in order to free up some cash to back other runners).

Biden/Harris would probably be the optimum ticket for the Democrats, and would crush Trump (or any of his replacements). But I’m not 100% convinced that Biden will even run - one of the reasons I like him is that he actually has a life outside of politics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited December 2018

An old colleague of mine would have you hanged if he could.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Not seen that one

Read one called Invasion which was pretty far fetched tbh
  • Options

Their follow up tweet with the result is quite amusing, and topical.

In Britain the right answer is surely railway station. Train station is American.
  • Options

Amusingly, if you google ‘King’s Cross train station’, the links provided are just about all for ‘King’s Cross railway station’.

Apart from a couple for ‘rail station’, whatever that might be.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The correct answer is Railway Station. If you're a customer of Northern Rail, there's seldom a train there.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Happy New Year to everyone

(Even Brexiteers)

:D:D:D

Anyway, it is time to pop a cork or two and slave over the cooker.

Can understand how you would pop a cork or two over the cooker, but dare I ask how you would go about popping a slave over the cooker?

Must be some party you are having tonight. :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    CD13 said:

The correct answer is Railway Station. If you're a customer of Northern Rail, there's seldom a train there.

If trains are now called services, shouldn’t it be “service station”?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    IanB2 said:

In Britain the right answer is surely railway station. Train station is American.
    Of course it’s railway.

Dad is a big train buff, from the midlands. I grew up down south. So despite being a Baggie, whats the only word I say with a Brummy accent?

Yep. Ralway.
  • Options

Happy New Year to everyone

(Even Brexiteers)

:D:D:D

Anyway, it is time to pop a cork or two and slave over the cooker.

Yes, best wishes for 1972 to all PB Brexiters!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Tough one for me, this.

I hate Trump. There is to my mind no single thing that would benefit the developed world more than the ghastly creature and his enabling 'base' being utterly crushed and humiliated in WH2020. I have it just above a cure for Alzheimer's.

So in my fantasy world what happens is he loses by a landslide to a member of the east coast liberal elite who also happens to be of Mexican heritage, gay, and fluid of gender. Either a cis lesbian who has transitioned to male, or a bi man who has become a woman who likes whatever she likes, either will do.

However. Back to reality. What's most important is the landslide, and the chances of that (I fear) are strongly and positively correlated to how close the chosen Dem is to the mainstream template of white male with some 'good ole boy' appeal.

That is not Elizabeth Warren and so, much as I like her, I am hoping for A. N. Other to emerge.

And preferably someone who can still touch his toes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, best wishes for 1972 to all PB Brexiters!

LOL. VG. (although 1952 I'd more say ... pre Suez)

HNY to all too.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kinabalu said:

Tough one for me, this.

I hate Trump. There is to my mind no single thing that would benefit the developed world more than the ghastly creature and his enabling 'base' being utterly crushed and humiliated in WH2020. I have it just above a cure for Alzheimer's.

So in my fantasy world what happens is he loses by a landslide to a member of the east coast liberal elite who also happens to be of Mexican heritage, gay, and fluid of gender. Either a cis lesbian who has transitioned to male, or a bi man who has become a woman who likes whatever she likes, either will do.

However. Back to reality. What's most important is the landslide, and the chances of that (I fear) are strongly and positively correlated to how close the chosen Dem is to the mainstream template of white male with some 'good ole boy' appeal.

That is not Elizabeth Warren and so, much as I like her, I am hoping for A. N. Other to emerge.

That's a new one on me - why is touching one's toes a marker for POTUS?

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

I'd say Sunil can provide a definitive answer to that question.
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    That awful word 'progressive' (ie left wing) strikes again.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Of course it’s railway.

Dad is a big train buff, from the midlands. I grew up down south. So despite being a Baggie, whats the only word I say with a Brummy accent?

Yep. Ralway.
    Agreed. But either is better than the East Midlands Trains "station stop".
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kinabalu said:

Tough one for me, this.

Good evening, everyone.
    It shows they can be flexible.

Although the number of different positions Trump adopts with every Tweet wouldn't disgrace a contortionist.
  • Options
    Awb683 said:

I'm not opposed to things being left wing, but progressive seems to be used by some people in the same way as others use the word liberal, as a synonym for good without further explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Progressive Conservative party picked it for that reason too, albeit a lot longer ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Awb683 said:

I'm not opposed to things being left wing, but progressive seems to be used by some people in the same way as others use the word liberal, as a synonym for good without further explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Progressive Conservative party picked it for that reason too, albeit a lot longer ago.
    'Progressive' implies that you have views that everyone else will inevitably hold shortly because they are naturally correct. The opposite is 'reactionary.'

It's always amused me because to be 'progressive' in 1801 you would therefore have had to be a temperance activist dedicated to enforcing sexual morality and Christian religious conformity on everyone else.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    Charles said:

I don't particularly think of anyone with one descendent 10 generations back who is X and the rest Y as a member of X group, nothing more than a distant connection.

Did Warren actively lie in full knowledge that it wasn't true. Which is possible but I lean against the idea.

That she used or abused that identity would be a slightly different charge which would still exist even if she was Native American to whatever fraction she claimed.

I have a cousin whose last common ancestor with me died on 17 January 1719 (we are having a mass and party in remembrance which is how I know the date!)

According to our family tree, I'm a direct descendant of King Edward III. Only snags: (1) so are a zillion other people by now (2) the shared genes must rather few in number.

I sometimes wonder how many generations one has to go back before the relationship ceases to feel significant. If you heard that your father was a notorious criminal, it'd be embarassing. If seven generations back there was a pirate ancestor, that'd be rather fun. Once they're beyond living memory I think one loses the sense of connection.

Anyway, happy 2019 all, and may every apparent inconsistency in our wishes for Brexit mysteriously disappear.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Yes, sorry. Ageist comment. Ashamed of it already.

If the person who hammers Trump is 102, that is aye ok with me.
  • Options

Charles said:

According to our family tree, I'm a direct descendant of King Edward III. Only snags: (1) so are a zillion other people by now (2) the shared genes must rather few in number.

I sometimes wonder how many generations one has to go back before the relationship ceases to feel significant. If you heard that your father was a notorious criminal, it'd be embarassing. If seven generations back there was a pirate ancestor, that'd be rather fun. Once they're beyond living memory I think one loses the sense of connection..
    I think that's true, which is why it is, as you say, fun - sure probably millions of people are descended from Edward III, but not as many can prove it (as much as it is possible to prove). There's only one family it actually matters for, so for everyone else it's just neat.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes, sorry. Ageist comment. Ashamed of it already.

If the person who hammers Trump is 102, that is aye ok with me.
    Seems unlikely. The oldest assassin of a US President was Charles Guiteau, who was 40 in 1881. 102 also strikes me (for once, no pun intended) as a bit old to be using a hammer.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am a distant relative of David Lloyd George - so I have been told. Apparently in the 1860s when his father was a schoolmaster in Pembrokeshire , he and my great grandmother were playmates as young children.
  • Options
    @ ydoethur,

:-) No I don't want him 'book depositoried'. That way he'd always be a hero. Forever 72 and full of promise, if only etc etc. Has to be the ballot box and it has to be YUGE.
  • Options

CD13 said:

If trains are now called services, shouldn’t it be “service station”?
    Replacement bus service station?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Awb683 said:

'Progressive' implies that you have views that everyone else will inevitably hold shortly because they are naturally correct. The opposite is 'reactionary.'

It's always amused me because to be 'progressive' in 1801 you would therefore have had to be a temperance activist dedicated to enforcing sexual morality and Christian religious conformity on everyone else.
    I don’t think progressive means today quite what it did in Hegel’s time...

The idea of progress isn’t so much about historical inevitability (unless you’re Jeremy Corbyn); rather something a bit more provisional.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2018
    I hope Warren's appearance belies a tough cookie.
    I'll have to read up about her, but that limp-wristed advertising her tad of Indian blood isn't a good start. Does she realise how thick-skinned and loose-canoned Trump-world is?
    Yes, I think I do like hyphens.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    justin124 said:

I am a distant relative of David Lloyd George - so I have been told. Apparently in the 1860s when his father was a schoolmaster in Pembrokeshire , he and my great grandmother were playmates as young children.

I suspect a large number of people are distant relatives of Lloyd George. As my A-Level History teacher said, the song should have been “Lloyd George Knew my Mother
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd say Sunil can provide a definitive answer to that question.
    Railway station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_railway_station
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    rpjs said:

justin124 said:

I suspect a large number of people are distant relatives of Lloyd George. As my A-Level History teacher said, the song should have been “Lloyd George Knew my Mother
    In effect, it was. The implication of the song is that Lloyd George is the singer's father.

Edit - although to my knowledge only one child born out of wedlock has ever been convincingly attributed to him - Frances Stevenson's daughter.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    kinabalu said:

@ ydoethur,

:-) No I don't want him 'book depositoried'. That way he'd always be a hero. Forever 72 and full of promise, if only etc etc. Has to be the ballot box and it has to be YUGE.

A full ballot box, or an empty one?

An empty one would be easier to lift but only a full one would have the necessary lethal force. So some kind of mechanism to elevate it to head height may be required.
  • Options

It’s railway station, of course.

They are stations on a railway, not somewhere you station trains, which stop there only temporarily.

• Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73
    Lloyd George anecdote - of no consequence.....

In the late 1970s - whilst visiting an off licence in Porthmadog - I queued behind a very old lady. When she had been served - and left - the woman behind the counter asked me"Do you know who that was?"
    "No." I replied.
    "That was Lloyd Geoerge's mistress." was her response.

I should have said "Which one ?" - but I didn't.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    junius said:

In the late 1970s - whilst visiting an off licence in Porthmadog - I queued behind a very old lady. When she had been served - and left - the woman behind the counter asked me"Do you know who that was?"
    "No." I replied.

Frances Stevenson?
  • Options
    junius said:

"No." I replied.

There's a good one in the Benn diaries. A colleague of Benn, visiting Anglesey, met an old man, who was introduced as 'a man who knew Lloyd George.' This white haired old man replied sonorously: 'That I did. He had a prick like a donkey, you know.' Startled, the Bennite muttered something about Lloyd George being remembered as 'a man of many parts,' to get the further withering comment, 'Yes, but that one most of all.'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    Run Pocahontas, run
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Run Pocahontas, run

You can never step in the same river twice.

(Although Heraclitus said that before Pocahontas.)
  • Options
    New thread - Marf's cartoon of the year
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A full ballot box, or an empty one?

An empty one would be easier to lift but only a full one would have the necessary lethal force. So some kind of mechanism to elevate it to head height may be required.

If it has to be the reaper rather than due electoral process (and please not, think about Barron) then let it be painless, quick, accidental.

Also be good if it was televised*, so that we don't get tons of silly conspiracy theories.

* You know, like with JFK.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    ydoethur said:

junius said:

"No." I replied.

There's a good one in the Benn diaries. A colleague of Benn, visiting Anglesey, met an old man, who was introduced as 'a man who knew Lloyd George.' This white haired old man replied sonorously: 'That I did. He had a prick like a donkey, you know.' Startled, the Bennite muttered something about Lloyd George being remembered as 'a man of many parts,' to get the further withering comment, 'Yes, but that one most of all.'
    http://glyn-davies.blogspot.com/2009/01/prime-minister-who-was-hung-like-donkey.html

D LL G the mighty member for Carnarvon Boroughs.
  • Options

Charles said:

I sometimes wonder how many generations one has to go back before the relationship ceases to feel significant. If you heard that your father was a notorious criminal, it'd be embarassing. If seven generations back there was a pirate ancestor, that'd be rather fun. Once they're beyond living memory I think one loses the sense of connection.

Anyway, happy 2019 all, and may every apparent inconsistency in our wishes for Brexit mysteriously disappear.
    Sir Richard watches over the family still

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Sir_Richard_Hoare_%281648%E2%80%931718%29.jpg/220px-Sir_Richard_Hoare_%281648%E2%80%931718%29.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hoare&docid=HZA_NZpeC4uycM&tbnid=1YWtGNSR1Ut4RM:&vet=1&w=220&h=260&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

DavidL said:

Not only did she make herself look ridiculous but she has over her career continuously played this fraudulent card.
    Citation Needed.
This discussion has been closed.