Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From the Commons library a treasure trove of data for election

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    As Yanis Varoufakis points out, the EU are masters of fudge. If they genuinely believed that a fudge would get May over the line, they'd give her whatever she wanted.

But they don't believe that. They rightly believe she cannot pass her deal. There is a stench of political death hanging around her, and they can all smell it. They simply will not go out on a limb for her.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    rcs1000 said:

Because it's been such a disaster in New Zealand?

FFS its 2018. Why do people still argue tariffs work?

I'm not talking about whats right and whats wrong, but on what is politically possible.

Conservative MPs, a great number of whom are from rural constituencies, are not going to vote to eliminate tariffs on the imports of agricultural produce from places with much lower costs of production. (And New Zealand land costs are perhaps 10% of that of the UK, so that would include NZ.)
    When can we expect another YouTube video good sir?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Remain heading towards 60% on the latest YouGov. I remember when PBers said once polling reached 60% the game will change. Not there yet. But not far off.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Norm said:

Pulpstar said:

Last night provided a very strong argument for remaining. Our politicians are simply not up to the job of negotiating on the world stage.
    I wish it wasn't so, but it is.

This is actually one of my reasons for leaving. Being in the EU has hollowed out our political class. Signing off directives is easier than having to think for yourself.
    Easier money elsewhere has hollowed out our political classes. Nothing is going to fix that in a world with Social Media and 24 hour news - you have to be insane to do it for any money let alone the little you get paid.

Heck I work from home and rarely do anything and earn more than an MP does...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646

Give women the vote, and look where we are now!

This wouldnever have happened before we had the 1832 Reform Act.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Commentators confirm the ERG position that if we leave on no deal in March the EU will be forced into erecting a border and they have a real blind spot on this

The EU has said they won't erect a hard border in any circumstances (as as ROI and UK? )
    Have they? On the radio last night they were saying that they (and we) would be obliged to under WTO rules.
    I thought WTO had said exceptions can be made when the political situation is particularly "delicate" like with NI and ROI?
    Is there any truth in this?
    Yes and No.

We could choose not to enforce a hard border but another nation could bring a complaint which could force a hard border.

“There is nothing in WTO rules that forces anyone to put up border posts,” said WTO spokesman Keith Rockwell on a visit to Dublin last week.

“Someone has to bring a complaint and say that their interests have been hurt.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136?mode=amp

Given how many nations are looking to use the WTO to get a better deal from the UK a successful complaint is inevitable.
    We must treat every country that shares a land border with us equally and fairly.
    If only it was that simple.
    Is there any example of the WTO insisting on a hard border even if it would cause political upheaval and possibly bloodshed?

I am really dubious that this would ever happen.
    It's not about a physical border: it's about the explicit choice not to collect tariffs from a particular country.

The remedy the WTO would insist on would not be a border in Northern Ireland, but that the Uruguayan meat exporter was allowed to send their produce to the UK tariff free.

Which, by the way, means that the Professor Minford policy of "zero tariffs" would be a sensible way forward, except that it would be a disaster for rural seats in the rest of the UK.
    Why would it be a disaster there? We set the standards and can tailor them somewhat to assist domestic producers. And if the Uruguayans can meet those standards then at least our consumers benefit.
    If we set standards, who will enforce them and where? And if our standards are different from Europe's (or anyone else's) then exports will also need to be inspected.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018

As Yanis Varoufakis points out, the EU are masters of fudge. If they genuinely believed that a fudge would get May over the line, they'd give her whatever she wanted.

But they don't believe that. They rightly believe she cannot pass her deal. There is a stench of political death hanging around her, and they can all smell it. They simply will not go out on a limb for her.

I don't even think it's that. EUCO is a political body, not a legal one. The Commons doesn't want fudge, they want a legal undertaking. May is walking into a fishmongers and asking for a cabbage.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Looks like May's relationship with the main players in Europe has completely broken, needs to go.

I don't understand why the party kept her. No need to replace her with an ERGer. Someone sane in cabinet like Javid, Hunt or Gove could do the job.
    The risk is that the party picks the leader and Boris would have likely made the short list resulting in an ERG fan being leader...
  • Options
    I had not thought of it like this, but it is true, isn't it?
    https://twitter.com/tony_nog/status/1073534471385829377
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Looks like May's relationship with the main players in Europe has completely broken, needs to go.

I don't understand why the party kept her. No need to replace her with an ERGer. Someone sane in cabinet like Javid, Hunt or Gove could do the job.
    Because there was a risk of an ERGer succeeding her.

As we’ve seen the ERG aren’t interested in compromise and welcome No Deal.
    Whereas May is deadweight dragging us there.

The ERG have always said they are open to a deal but are ok with no deal. One of them in charge would, Nixon to China like, help get a deal over the line. If one of them takes over, gets the civil service in their ear, reaches a deal then that would be easier to ratify.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    geoffw said:

Why would it be a disaster there? We set the standards and can tailor them somewhat to assist domestic producers. And if the Uruguayans can meet those standards then at least our consumers benefit.

There are almost no agricultural products - whether milk, or wheat, or beef - where UK farmers are competitive with world prices. Our land is too expensive. Our farms are too small.

Look, I think we coddle our farmers, and it's just an industry like any other. We would be much better off being realistic, and saying "compete on the world stage, and let consumers decide if they want organic or GMO or not". But that's not going to fly with Conservative MPs in rural seats.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646
    Xenon said:

rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Commentators confirm the ERG position that if we leave on no deal in March the EU will be forced into erecting a border and they have a real blind spot on this

The EU has said they won't erect a hard border in any circumstances (as as ROI and UK? )
    Yes and No.

We could choose not to enforce a hard border but another nation could bring a complaint which could force a hard border.

“There is nothing in WTO rules that forces anyone to put up border posts,” said WTO spokesman Keith Rockwell on a visit to Dublin last week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136?mode=amp

Given how many nations are looking to use the WTO to get a better deal from the UK a successful complaint is inevitable.
    We must treat every country that shares a land border with us equally and fairly.
    Is there any example of the WTO insisting on a hard border even if it would cause political upheaval and possibly bloodshed?

If I'm a French milk
    France or Denmark are not going to insist on a hard border in Ireland. Neither are Norway.

Do people really believe that they will?
    The WTO would not insist on a hard border in Northern Ireland, they would say that the the French farmer should be allowed to export to the UK under the same terms as an Irish one. Effectively, the EU would get tariff free exports to the UK.
    And the UK tariff free exports to the EU. Simples. Problem solved.
    But then someone like Argentina kicks up a fuss and wins their complaint.

They have already been making noises.
    This would give the EU the incentive to make a free trade deal with us. It's them blocking the deal and not us.

A hard border is not going to happen.
    They are not blocking such a deal. Just the small matter of the UK signing the WA on the dotted line first.

• Options
    eek said:

DanSmith said:

The risk is that the party picks the leader and Boris would have likely made the short list resulting in an ERG fan being leader...
    If Boris was in charge he would reach a deal and he would back it because he reached it.
  • Options
    Owen Jones is a very useful barometer for the thinking of the Labour leadership. He's basically BFFs with McDonnell and Seumas Milne.
  • Options

If we set standards, who will enforce them and where? And if our standards are different from Europe's (or anyone else's) then exports will also need to be inspected.

No we could agree to the principle of mutual recognition in a trade deal.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

There are almost no agricultural products - whether milk, or wheat, or beef - where UK farmers are competitive with world prices. Our land is too expensive. Our farms are too small.

Look, I think we coddle our farmers, and it's just an industry like any other. We would be much better off being realistic, and saying "compete on the world stage, and let consumers decide if they want organic or GMO or not". But that's not going to fly with Conservative MPs in rural seats.
    Well then the argument should be that we can't leave on WTO terms because it would mean cheaper food for everyone and British famers will suffer and not scaremongering about a hard border.

The hard border is a complete red herring put about by people desperate to stay in the EU.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I don't even think it's that. EUCO is a political body, not a legal one. The Commons doesn't want fudge, they want a legal undertaking. May is walking into a fishmongers and asking for a cabbage.
    EUCO communiques are legal documents. They are multilateral undertakings made by national leaders, that establish a policy direction for the Union.

They could be described as "legally binding" if you squint your brain a bit.

Sadly, in this case, the communique has reaffirmed the backstop, which is the opposite of what May was asking for.
  • Options

John_M said:

EUCO communiques are legal documents. They are multilateral undertakings made by national leaders, that establish a policy direction for the Union.

They could be described as "legally binding" if you squint your brain a bit.

Sadly, in this case, the communique has reaffirmed the backstop, which is the opposite of what May was asking for.
    Because she won her vote of confidence. They are never going to give an iota more to May.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Xenon said:

rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes and No.

If I'm a French milk
    The WTO would not insist on a hard border in Northern Ireland, they would say that the the French farmer should be allowed to export to the UK under the same terms as an Irish one. Effectively, the EU would get tariff free exports to the UK.

This would give the EU the incentive to make a free trade deal with us. It's them blocking the deal and not us.

They are not blocking such a deal. Just the small matter of the UK signing the WA on the dotted line first.

I'm talking about once we've left on WTO no deal. There will be no WA for them to peddle anymore, we would be in a completely different situation.

Then they would be open to negotiating on an even playing field and any WTO complaints would hasten a deal as it will be in both parties' interests.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Xenon said:

Then they would be open to negotiating on an even playing field and any WTO complaints would hasten a deal as it will be in both parties' interests.

Here's the WTO director-general from 2005-2013 explaining how going from the Single Market to WTO terms is like going from the Premiership to the 4th division.

https://twitter.com/JezzyB/status/1070801726515625986
  • Options
    The French really seem to be enjoying being part of the fallout 76 LARPing club.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

I'm talking about once we've left on WTO no deal. There will be no WA for them to peddle anymore, we would be in a completely different situation.

Which is why they are desperately trying to trap us now. The alternative to the backstop is giving us what we want. Oh the horrors!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    kle4 said:

I think we need to hear from the DUP today.

Glad to be of service:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1073526065346301952
    Whatever the legitimate grievances may be a lot of people seem to believe even now that just 'standing up' gets new facts.
    It is pethaps at least worth a try.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Have they? On the radio last night they were saying that they (and we) would be obliged to under WTO rules.
    I thought WTO had said exceptions can be made when the political situation is particularly "delicate" like with NI and ROI?
    Yes and No.

The WTO is just an admin office. It can't call in a UN peacekeeping force. We can have whatever border we wish.

The trouble is that if the UK diverges from the EU in its regulations then a hard border becomes necessary. It the UK doesn't diverge, then what exactly was the point of this whole Brexit business?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Wouldn't they rather miss work and come out on Monday?
  • Options

Yes, but we cannot have mutual recognition of two completely different standards without inspections.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Remain heading towards 60% on the latest YouGov. I remember when PBers said once polling reached 60% the game will change. Not there yet. But not far off.

I think the exact phrase was 'wake me up when remain reaches 60%'. In the meantime they are presumably still asleep.
  • Options

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes and No.

The WTO is just an admin office. It can't call in a UN peacekeeping force. We can have whatever border we wish.

The trouble is that if the UK diverges from the EU in its regulations then a hard border becomes necessary. It the UK doesn't diverge, then what exactly was the point of this whole Brexit business?
    No it isn't necessary. Mutual recognition is an alternative option but the EU don't want to give us that.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Foxy said:

Give women the vote, and look where we are now!

This wouldnever have happened before we had the 1832 Reform Act.
    Poor people shouldn't be allowed to vote. We lost the Empire when we extended the franchise. Coincidence? I think not.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2018

Yes, but we cannot have mutual recognition of two completely different standards without inspections.
    Yes we can. That's the whole point of mutual recognition. When we first joined the EEC mutual recognition is the principle that underpinned most trade within it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

I think we need to hear from the DUP today.

Glad to be of service:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1073526065346301952
    Whatever the legitimate grievances may be a lot of people seem to believe even now that just 'standing up' gets new facts.
    It is pethaps at least worth a try.
    Futile displacement activity is very much le mot juste du jour, n'est-ce pas?
  • Options
  • Options
    At least under the empire those pesky bog-trotting potato-munchers knew their place.
  • Options

Anazina said:

I think the exact phrase was 'wake me up when remain reaches 60%'. In the meantime they are presumably still asleep.
    I've always been up for a second referendum. Democracy is a process not an event. Just make it happen, I don't see why I should have to do all the work around here.
  • Options

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes and No.

No it isn't necessary. Mutual recognition is an alternative option but the EU don't want to give us that.
    I remember mutual recognition of drug licensing when the EMA was still new. I don't recommend it.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

I've always been up for a second referendum. Democracy is a process not an event. Just make it happen, I don't see why I should have to do all the work around here.
    If you adjust for don't knows, it is very close to that threshold now.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Mutual recognition applies *only* to goods that are outside of EU harmonisation. Believing that the EU would give the UK, and only the UK, untrammeled permission to water down any and all EU standards as it saw fit, and carry on trading with the EU regardless?

Insanity. It's cake and unicorns. It's a unicorn made of cake.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Oh god. We really are fucked, aren't we?
    I am quite clear that nothing has changed.
    My deal is the only deal on the table.
    I am getting on with the job of delivering Brexit.
  • Options

Yes we can. That's the whole point of mutual recognition.
    No we can't. It only works once. As soon as you introduce a second such deal with a third country, you need inspections. Otherwise how does country A know we are not trying to slip them goods made to country B's different standards?

• Options

Yes we can. That's the whole point of mutual recognition. When we first joined the EEC mutual recognition is the principle that underpinned most trade within it.
    Again, mutual recognition applies only to markets where there has been no EU harmonisation.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there's been a *lot* of harmonisation in the last four decades.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can someone give me a reason to be cheerful. My soul doth fill with plenteous fear and forebodin'

A lot of your income is in foreign currencies.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

I’m really looking forward to No Deal.

We survived WWII we can survive this.
  • Options

John_M said:

Anazina said:

If you adjust for don't knows, it is very close to that threshold now.
    I've never insisted on any threshold. Behold the Tories. Behold Labour. One of them needs to instigate a referendum. Only they need to do it sharpish on account of the UK trundling inexorably towards the bright sunlit uplands/crocodile pit of doom (delete according to your sensibilities) on March 29th.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

With no Vaseline.
  • Options

No we can't. It only works once. As soon as you introduce a second such deal with a third country, you need inspections. Otherwise how does country A know we are not trying to slip them goods made to country B's different standards?

I think you'll find the EU already has multiple mutual recognition agreements. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/goods/international-aspects/mutual-recognition-agreements_en
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If the DUP want to kill the hated Deal. They just need to vote with Labour on a VONC

Simples

Why would they give up their stranglehold on the Tories ?
    If the DUP VONC the government simply as a warning shot. Vote with Labour, government falls. 14 day clock starts ticking. May would then be forced to find her majority somewhere else. Practically, that would leave May only one other option: the Lib Dems. I really doubt the DUP are minded to drive May into the arms of the Lib Dems.
    Cable's price would be a 2nd referendum.
    Well at least it breaks the deadlock and avoids Corbyn as PM.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

Apart from the sixty million people who died, obvs.
  • Options

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes and No.

I remember mutual recognition of drug licensing when the EMA was still new. I don't recommend it.
    So it's ok for Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Israel, Japan, Switzerland and USA but not us?

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/research-development/compliance/good-manufacturing-practice/mutual-recognition-agreements-mra
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    SeanT said:

Can someone give me a reason to be cheerful. My soul doth fill with plenteous fear and forebodin'

Druncker is about to retire.
    Soon no more whining supercilious Adonis on our screens.
    Trump is about to get impeached.

• Options
    Mr. T, shifts in sentiment only matter if there's another referendum. It's a credible possibility but far from nailed on.

(I hedged my 6.5 on one happening by backing 1.72 on it not a day or two ago).
  • Options

SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

Apart from the sixty million people who died, obvs.
    You need to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

A bit of short term pain for the long term gain of Rejoining.
  • Options

Again, mutual recognition applies only to markets where there has been no EU harmonisation.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there's been a *lot* of harmonisation in the last four decades.
    Within the EU it does. Not with external trade deals and we would be external. Hence why the EMA (harmonied) has mutual recognition with others in trade deals.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    I saw a whole bunch of them in London yesterday...

...OK, so it might have been a primary school class on a trip, but they looked the part!
  • Options
    Looking forward to hearing HYUFD explain how the events of the last 24 hours and the YouGov poll are good news for Mrs May's deal.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    SeanT said:

There's abundant reason - this was all meant to be, May's disastrous negotiation included. Perhaps this is the shot in the arm we need.
  • Options
    I see George Osborne has got yet another job !!!!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    Andrew said:

SeanT said:

Druncker is about to retire.
    Soon no more whining supercilious Adonis on our screens.
    Trump is about to get impeached.

How/why no more Adonis?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Clear where the momentum is heading here. And surely it is going to move even more in that direction by early next year....
    OK. These are big shifts. Finally. The stupid, witless, jellified, cowardly, spineless proles have got the heebie-jeebies, thank God.

Let's have another vote.
    No.

Why do you hate democracy?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,001
    SeanT said:

Perhaps #WRAF will catch on like #FBPE.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited December 2018
    https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-11th-september-2018-2-2-2/

Opinium has Remain leading 45% to 33% over the Deal, in a second referendum. Switchers from Leave to Remain, and Remain to Deal cancel each other out, but far more Leavers than Remainers are undecided.

Deal would likely win, if enough Brexiters could bring themselves to support it.

Supplementary questions suggest how that could be achieved.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,453
    edited December 2018

I see George Osborne has got yet another job !!!!

Needs one more Number 10.

Sigh.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    SeanT said:

Brexit has collapsed. We are going to remain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Clear where the momentum is heading here. And surely it is going to move even more in that direction by early next year....
    OK. These are big shifts. Finally. The stupid, witless, jellified, cowardly, spineless proles have got the heebie-jeebies, thank God.

Let's have another vote.
    Hold on. Didn't you vote for all this? Or did I miss something?
  • Options

SeanT said:

There's abundant reason - this was all meant to be, May's disastrous negotiation included. Perhaps this is the shot in the arm we need.
    If you're suggesting this is all being willed by some vengeful trickster old testament-style god then frankly, the Universe is in deep shit.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

I wonder how many instances are recorded of people surviving hari kari.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, shifts in sentiment only matter if there's another referendum. It's a credible possibility but far from nailed on.

(I hedged my 6.5 on one happening by backing 1.72 on it not a day or two ago).

By next year it will have percolated through to the public that we indeed heading for a big crash. It may only cause whiplash and bruises, or it may break an arm, both legs and take out an eye. Either way, no one denies we are heading towards a significant jolt.

The polls could swing 65-35 Remain/Leave, even 70-30. Could any prime minister ignore that?
    Was about to answer "No! Of course not!"

Then I remembered who our PM is :disappointed:
  • Options
    Mr. T, could Theresa May ignore something obvious and instead do something politically stupid?

I think that question's been answered just recently.
  • Options

I think you'll find the EU already has multiple mutual recognition agreements. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/goods/international-aspects/mutual-recognition-agreements_en
    Several, yes, but not many, hardly comprehensive, and they still depend on inspections, not magic. It is just accepting that it can be done in the other country.
  • Options

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

?
    Yes and No.
    r.

So it's ok for Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Israel, Japan, Switzerland and USA but not us?

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/research-development/compliance/good-manufacturing-practice/mutual-recognition-agreements-mra
    I think he exaggerated a little for dramatic effect, but I heard a talk about the international harmonisation of the pharmacopeial monograph for benzyl alcohol, which took from something like 1854 to 1992 to agree. Sure you can do it, but it isn't fun.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    He did.

He can’t say he wasn’t warned about No Deal.

He needs to sack up.
  • Options
    Toms said:

SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

Brexit, a warning from history.

http://www.historynet.com/a-kamikaze-who-lived-to-tell-the-tale.htm
  • Options
    What's that going over a cliff?

Is it a Brexit?

Is it a Brexit?
  • Options

Several, yes, but not many, hardly comprehensive, and they still depend on inspections, not magic. It is just accepting that it can be done in the other country.
    Bingo! No magic and not at the border.

We sign a mutual recognition agreement with the EU. We do inspections at businesses within the country.

No magic. No hard border. No unicorns, fairies or cake.
  • Options

All it takes is for the EU to wind back 40 years of harmonization and completely rewrite the very foundation of the single market as it has existed since the early 90s!

WHAT IS UNREASONABLE ABOUT THAT REQUEST?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

Because democracy is generally expressed through parliament, yet, right now, parliament is literally incapable of making a decision. There is a majority against No Deal, there is a majority against the only Deal on offer. It is the very definition of an impasse.

With parliament entirely paralysed, I think it is fair to go for the only other solution (none of this is ideal, clearly) and hand the choice back to the people.

I genuinely do not know who would win, but at least it is closer to sensible democracy than the shambling omnifuck we see in the Commons daily.
    the considered view of the regulars after several pints last night was theyre all a shower of shit. One bloke asked who would you vote for today and nobody in the pub could think of anyone. Across the board the politicans are damaging themselves.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

Because democracy is generally expressed through parliament, yet, right now, parliament is literally incapable of making a decision. There is a majority against No Deal, there is a majority against the only Deal on offer. It is the very definition of an impasse.

With parliament entirely paralysed, I think it is fair to go for the only other solution (none of this is ideal, clearly) and hand the choice back to the people.

I genuinely do not know who would win, but at least it is closer to sensible democracy than the shambling omnifuck we see in the Commons daily.
    We made the decision in June 2016.

The country was told No Deal was a possibility but they still voted Leave.

Say we have another referendum and Remain wins are Leavers going to accept it? Hell no.

We’ll be in never ending referenda.

The only way this is solved is by experiencing a few years outside the EU.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

The people have already voted to Leave so presumably you would be asking the people to choose by which route to Leave?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

the considered view of the regulars after several pints last night was theyre all a shower of shit. One bloke asked who would you vote for today and nobody in the pub could think of anyone. Across the board the politicans are damaging themselves.
    +12 pts for "shambling omnifuck"
  • Options

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    You missed SeanT's flip-flopping.,. you should be used to it by now.

but the numbers and the 'big mo' are going one way really..

Let's stay and piss inside their tent....
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

I guess that what happens is somewhat defined by what is happening in marginal Labour seats in the Midlands and Northern suburbs. If local canvassing indicates that those have tipped from Leave to Remain, it might change things a bit.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

The people have already voted to Leave so presumably you would be asking the people to choose by which route to Leave?
    That is indeed what most respondents to the Opinium poll I cited think.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Toms said:

SeanT said:

It’ll be fun.

The kamikaze pilots’ annual reunion was rarely well attended.
  • Options

All it takes is for the EU to wind back 40 years of harmonization and completely rewrite the very foundation of the single market as it has existed since the early 90s!

WHAT IS UNREASONABLE ABOUT THAT REQUEST?
    Well if they want to keep the border open ...

... plus they have done it for other countries.

It is a legitimate, viable solution. Just because they don't like the idea does not make it less so.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    You missed SeanT's flip-flopping.,. you should be used to it by now.

but the numbers and the 'big mo' are going one way really..

Let's stay and piss inside their tent....
    I think theyll get the full bladder. In an election if the stay in option is used we'll have a reaction like the SNP boost post Indyref imo. We will send a lot of very pissed off disruptive people to Brussels.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    Two years of project fear and bleating about how "impossible" it is and then make us vote again.

It was obvious from the start that they'd never let us leave.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat.

We live in bounteous times.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,010
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    Yep, I voted for this. I still think it was the right moral choice. We should be Out. I had under-estimated, however, the complete nightmare that is Article 50 (which, of course, should not and would not exist if we had been given our promised referendum, and then voted down the Lisbon Treaty).

Leaving under A50 without extreme pain is almost impossible. It is definitely impossible if you are led by a stubborn, autistic heifer with the political skills of the Ebola virus. From that first speech setting out her red lines, to the needless triggering of A50, on and on she went, error after error.

Now we are truly screwed.
    Article 50 would still exist (although of course be of no relevance to us).

I do query, however, the assumption that 'no' would have won a referendum on the Lisbon treaty (pre-Brown's signing), or that a 'no' would have automatically have led to us leaving the EU.

A referendum on Lisbon *after* Brown had signed would have been an expensive and meaningless affair.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,001
    SeanT said:

Leaving under A50 without extreme pain is almost impossible.

Leaving under A50 is very possible The UK is trying to leave while retaining most of the benefits of membership. That's impossible.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    No.

We made the decision in June 2016.

The country was told No Deal was a possibility but they still voted Leave.

Say we have another referendum and Remain wins are Leavers going to accept it? Hell no.

We’ll be in never ending referenda.

The only way this is solved is by experiencing a few years outside the EU.
    If a second referendum did result in our staying in, because enough Leavers stayed at home, there would likely be considerable buyers' remorse.

Again, Opinium have 57% believing we'll just be asked again until we give the "right" answer.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What’s the betting drunker made one of his famous quips, but Maybot is in angry setting today and not taking.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

SeanT said:

Let's have another vote.
    Two years of project fear and bleating about how "impossible" it is and then make us vote again.

It was obvious from the start that they'd never let us leave.
    Nonsense. We can leave, there's a perfectly good deal on the table, all 500+ pages of it fully agreed. It can come into force on the 29th March.

Bizarrely, though, a significant group of those who campaigned for exactly what is on the table have decided to throw their toys out of the pram. Lord only knows why, but that's what they are doing. They have trashed the deal, and therefore they have trashed Brexit. Up to them, of course, but you can't blame Remainers, or the government, for the fact that Brexiteers have changed their minds when faced with Brexit.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

SeanT said:

Leaving under A50 without extreme pain is almost impossible.

Leaving under A50 is very possible The UK is trying to leave while retaining most of the benefits of membership. That's impossible.
    SeanT said:

Anecdote. I sat down with my 23 year old wife last night and explained, as non-patronisingly as possible, exactly what Brexit means, and what No Deal could entail (she asked me to tell her, I did not offer this pompous advice)

She was sincerely horrified. She had literally no clue about any of it. She is smart, has 3As at A Level, went to SOAS (tho dropped out because it's too PC), etc. She just finds the news boring and depressing and avoids it. She says all of her friends are the same, none of them think or talk about Brexit, let alone worry about it. She also reckons this is true of much of her family, and relatives.

How many are like her. Have no real idea what is happening, or about to happen?

A lot - The fall out from No Deal is going to come as shock to a lot of people.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Foxy said:

Xenon said:

rcs1000 said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

John_M said:

Xenon said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes and No.

If I'm a French milk
    The WTO would not insist on a hard border in Northern Ireland, .

The tactic we should have employed from the start.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Here's one from left field. How about a referendum to rejoin on March 30?
    We will have Left. Referendum fulfilled. If we vote Leave again we stay out.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How must the ERG be regretting not waiting 2 days...

Their serial fuckups have cost them their lives dream. Heart of stone and all that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How must the ERG be regretting not waiting 2 days...

Their serial fuckups have cost them their lives dream. Heart of stone and all that.

I wonder if given the riducling today from EU officials if Maybot might just say fuck you all I’m off?
This discussion has been closed.