Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB moves to 11 percent lead in first of tonight’s polls

13»

Comments

• Options
    If the Telegraph has done in depth analysis and found the BBC to be biased that totally nails the Beeb. Whoever would have that the Telegraph would come to such a conclusion?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    GIN, I don't think that Cable holds that much sway with Clegg or his team any more. I think that Carlotta has called this one right, 'Clegg goes on education.....the Tories go on energy'.
    Only one problem for Clegg and the Libdems, they are gathering a lot of form when it comes to trying to distancing themselves from their own Coalition Government's flag ship policies, whereas the Conservatives have consistently stood firm.
    GIN1138 said:

fitalass said:

Clegg distancing himself from yet another flagship Coalition policy, this is a bad habit that he seems incapable of breaking as we head to the next GE. Clegg, the man from the Libdems who likes to say 'yeah, but no' every time one of his own Coalition Government's policies hit a few rough headlines.

TGOHF said:

Clegg condemns schools which are allowed to hire "under qualified" teachers - like academy schools.

Clegg sends his kids to an academy school.....

"Do as I say, not do as I do....."

He must be under serious internal pressure.
    I get the feeling Vince and Lord Oakshott are calling the shots at the moment...

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,775
    edited October 2013
    No sign of the YouGov in the Sunday Times yet.

However, there's something in the Sunday Times that will make Paul Dacre upset

A Special Branch assessment of Ed Miliband’s father, Ralph, found he was an exemplary character, loyal to his adopted country and with unblemished wartime naval service.

The assessment, held in files at the National Archives in Kew, southwest London, opened the way for permission for Miliband to become a British subject in September 1948.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1329889.ece
  • Options
    fitalass said:

GIN, I don't think that Cable holds that much sway with Clegg or his team any more. I think that Carlotta has called this one right, 'Clegg goes on education.....the Tories go on energy'.
    Only one problem for Clegg and the Libdems, they are gathering a lot of form when it comes to trying to distancing themselves from their own Coalition Government's flag ship policies, whereas the Conservatives have consistently stood firm.

GIN1138 said:

fitalass said:

Clegg distancing himself from yet another flagship Coalition policy, this is a bad habit that he seems incapable of breaking as we head to the next GE. Clegg, the man from the Libdems who likes to say 'yeah, but no' every time one of his own Coalition Government's policies hit a few rough headlines.

TGOHF said:

Clegg condemns schools which are allowed to hire "under qualified" teachers - like academy schools.

Clegg sends his kids to an academy school.....

"Do as I say, not do as I do....."

He must be under serious internal pressure.
    I get the feeling Vince and Lord Oakshott are calling the shots at the moment...

Doesn't look like the Tories are standing firm on being the Greenest government this country has ever had.

• Options
    perdix said:

So Osborne has announced that the British people need to 'up their game'.

That's coming from the man behind the Conservative election strategy of 2010, who preferred political tourism to preparing a budget and who is basing British energy security on PFI deals with the Chinese government.

"Political tourism".... just because GO went to the States before his budget but after he had completed the work on it. Just because you are a kipper there's no need to regurgitate Labour's propaganda.

I am not a 'kipper'. Nor do I regurgitate Labour's propaganda.

On the contrary there are people her on the left who repeat things which I've written and people on the right who repeat other things which I've written.

I think for myself.

You though are a cheerleader.

You will launch into ecstatic imbecility if your side does something and froth into furious indignity if the other side does the same.

Hence your pavlovian claim that Osborne had competed work on his budget before he went off to America to make a fool of himself.

Try thinking for yourself for once.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,775
    edited October 2013
    Iff it is the economy.

However, rising energy bills seem to have knocked the feelgood factor. For the first time in six months, the proportion of households who expect to be worse off in 12 months’ time (48%) exceeds those who are optimistic (46%), according to the Sunday Times YouGov poll
  • Options
    Carola said:
    £160 a week dole in Ireland sounds way too high. That can't be right surely.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:
    £160 a week dole in Ireland sounds way too high. That can't be right surely.

Dunno. Nor what relative living costs etc are. Just thought I'd lob it into the arena before I head off to bed :)
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited October 2013
    For the sake of balance, can I just add that the BBC's entirely disinterested analysis of their own behaviour and that of their competitors can also be hilarious. Lets be clear, there is only one taxpayer funded media organisation involved here, and that is the one that has to be absolutely nailed on impartial and balanced in its delivery of the news. But simple having to be impartial or balanced doesn't automatically make it fact. So pouring scorn on another media outlet who might have an interest in scrutinising or questioning the BBC's very large monopoly in this area is pretty hypocritical.

Thankfully, another TV company decided to dig where the BBC were to scared to tread on their flagship evening political news programme when it came to investigating a huge scandal within the BBC. Had they not done so, would that scandal have ever come to light?

The Telegraph's entirely disinterested analysis of the BBC is hilarious.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

A Special Branch assessment of Ed Miliband’s father, Ralph, found he was an exemplary character, loyal to his adopted country and with unblemished wartime naval service.

The assessment, held in files at the National Archives in Kew, southwest London, opened the way for permission for Miliband to become a British subject in September 1948.

Considering the Soviet Union had just ripped the heart out of the Nazi war machine they were enjoying great popularity in Britain at the time.

The Communist takeovers in Eastern European countries was still to come - as was Churchill's defining 'Iron Curtain' speech.

Not really a surprise that Communists like Milliband were regarded as 'loyal'.

If the Communist takeovers didn't wake him up, Hungary and Czechoslovakia bloody well should have.

I thought you were sharper than that, TSE.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:
    It was good enough for Blair & the Hon Hunt.....and Clegg.....
    Not state funded, you dropped your academy argument sharpish I see.
    Unqualified people can homeschool if they like but they don't get state funding

You won't mind their taxes being returned then, will you?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Churchill's speech on the Iron Curtain was delivered on 5th March 1946 in Fulton, Missouri.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/churchillwinston/a/Iron-Curtain.htm

All of the eastern European countries had communist governments by September 1948

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/ir2/sovietexpansionineasterneuroperev2.shtml

I'd humbly submit that TSE is one of the sharper contributors to this website.
    Ninoinoz said:

Considering the Soviet Union had just ripped the heart out of the Nazi war machine they were enjoying great popularity in Britain at the time.

The Communist takeovers in Eastern European countries was still to come - as was Churchill's defining 'Iron Curtain' speech.

If the Communist takeovers didn't wake him up, Hungary and Czechoslovakia bloody well should have.

• Options

Churchill's speech on the Iron Curtain was delivered on 5th March 1946 in Fulton, Missouri.

All of the eastern European countries had communist governments by September 1948

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/ir2/sovietexpansionineasterneuroperev2.shtml

Ninoinoz said:

Blimey, what the hell were Special Branch thinking then? I note some of those Communist Governments were elected, but some weren't.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Special branch had reds under the bed ;)
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Blimey, what the hell were Special Branch thinking then? I note some of those Communist Governments were elected, but some weren't.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,897
    Ninoinoz said:

Probably because he was. Why would anyone think a newly demobbed student at the LSE in his early twenties who'd just served three years in the navy was anything else?

I wonder if there are subsequent analyses by MI5 after Miliband rose to prominence as a Marxist academic?

They may paint a more nuanced picture - which of course will say as much about MI5 as Miliband.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,897
    YouGov in the middle with Lab 39 (+6)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/97oer2oipq/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-181013.pdf

Cameron's approval slips, -15 (-4), while Miliband's improves, -26 (+4) and state of the economy -46 (-7) and personál financial situation -36 (-10) also take big hits.

On the 'trust' index the big losers are (net) Local Police: +40 (-8) and "upmarket newspaper" journalists: -22 (- 19), while My local MP ; -15 (+8) and judges +44 (+9) get a boost. The question was not asked about BBC or ITV journalists.

Belief that Mitchell told the truth grows; 36 (+6) but as many (40) believe he said "pleb" as do not (38). Opinion pretty evenly split on 'stitch up' (30) vs "misunderstanding" (21) vs "police telling truth" (24). Plebgate has not shifted overall trust in the police.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Probably because he was. Why would anyone think a newly demobbed student at the LSE in his early twenties who'd just served three years in the navy was anything else?

I wonder if there are subsequent analyses by MI5 after Miliband rose to prominence as a Marxist academic?

They may paint a more nuanced picture - which of course will say as much about MI5 as Miliband.....
    Perhaps I am guilty of judging MI5 with the hindsight of knowing of knowing the subsequent history of those regimes in Eastern Europe. But, the example of Poland was known even then.

Perhaps you are right and Miliband had failed to build up a track record in his support of communism, especially after his support after Hungary and Czechoslovakia when many British communists were completely disillusioned.
This discussion has been closed.