Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Beto O’Rourke, third favourite for WH2020, gets closer to putt

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

If the deal is rejected by Parliament , then a new Con leader with some skill could return to Brussels with say a top 10 concerns, get 5-6 of them fudged and the deal could very well pass if the revisions were sold well.

No he could not. Barnier and Juncker have made abundantly clear it is this Deal or No Deal and the backstop is non negotiable
    Well lets test out that theory....

At which point Juncker stands up at an EU press conference rips the Deal in half after Parliament rejects it and says we now go to No Deal, no more negotiation
    As long as they promise to have a video camera in the room when Juncker orders Leo Varadkar to get his transit van full of 2x4 down to the border and start building that fence.

To the EU if Northern Ireland is outside the customs union and single market that is a hard border
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    felix said:

All roads seem to point to May having to go - and go now. She's going to lose the vote, massively. Get the letters in, get her gone, save her the embarrassment. For one thing, it amply demonstrates how toxic this deal is in the UK in language the EU understand: "My god, she lost her job! Unthinkable....."

Another run around, with a new leader - who tries to get SOME movement from the EU against the back-drop of the ticking clock of No Deal. "Pop quiz, EU: What do you do?"

May will clearly never countenance this. Bye-bye time.

That is just plain silly. This deal needs full exposure to the HOC. The agenda can only move on after the vote. And as for a quick installation of a new leader that will not happen with the two extremes in my party fighting like rats in a sack
    The site is full od Don Qs today tilting at unicorns - all will be easy peasy once May is gone. The EU will roll over and play ball. I cannot believe I'm reading it.
    Indeed. And the very last thing needed is a coronation of a Unity candidate. None of any of these problems will be solved by changing the framed photo on Comservative club walls.
    They really need to have it out. In public. With blood on the floor. When they have decided what they want, then, and only then can we begin to move on.
  • Options
    felix said:

All roads seem to point to May having to go - and go now. She's going to lose the vote, massively. Get the letters in, get her gone, save her the embarrassment. For one thing, it amply demonstrates how toxic this deal is in the UK in language the EU understand: "My god, she lost her job! Unthinkable....."

Another run around, with a new leader - who tries to get SOME movement from the EU against the back-drop of the ticking clock of No Deal. "Pop quiz, EU: What do you do?"

That is just plain silly. This deal needs full exposure to the HOC. The agenda can only move on after the vote. And as for a quick installation of a new leader that will not happen with the two extremes in my party fighting like rats in a sack
    The site is full od Don Qs today tilting at unicorns - all will be easy peasy once May is gone. The EU will roll over and play ball. I cannot believe I'm reading it.
    It is polarised and at the extremes. Change leader but the maths and arguments remain
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    DavidL said:

I think May must have her chance to win the MV. I don't see how she can at present, I don't see how it can even be close, but she must get a chance.

If the vote is decisively against, 100+, as looks nailed on at the moment she will need to resign. She has failed to carry Parliament with her in her journey to this deal and she will have failed to convince a meaningful proportion of her own party.

TBH she hasn't really tried. What's happening now is part of an inexplicable failure to build a cross party consensus, or even keep her own backbenchers on board.

Which given the fragility of her majority, is UTTERLY incomprehensible behaviour.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Welcome to another edition of Dan Hannan: disingenuous and dishonest, or merely dismally dim?

Today's challenge: https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1067397393581252609

He's probably got the idea from being part of the golden shower of leavers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

@Richard_Nabavi - I cannot agree with you. I have changed my mind on this.

Leaving with no deal is the only option that undoubtedly respects the Conservative manifesto of 2017. More importantly, it is the second-most popular option with the public, with the Deal in dismal 3rd place. If No Deal is not on the ballot, there will be very loud cries that the second referendum is illegitimate. I can then see us voting to Remain on a sub-50% turnout.

That really will clear the way for the rise of the Far Right.

To be clear, my personal preference is that MPs just vote for the Deal. There isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell of it happening.

Deal beats No Deal 34% to 27% head to head with Ashcroft's latest poll
    That leaves a lot of people still to come off the fence. If - as I suspect - the narrative on any second vote gets turned into "who governs Britain, the MPs or the voters?", it could get very messy....
    When they realise they will be voting for potentially losing their jobs, their wages and seeing shortages in the shops and a shortage of workers in.public services in the event of No Deal minds could be concentrated
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

If the deal is rejected by Parliament , then a new Con leader with some skill could return to Brussels with say a top 10 concerns, get 5-6 of them fudged and the deal could very well pass if the revisions were sold well.

No he could not. Barnier and Juncker have made abundantly clear it is this Deal or No Deal and the backstop is non negotiable

At which point Juncker stands up at an EU press conference rips the Deal in half after Parliament rejects it and says we now go to No Deal, no more negotiation
    As long as they promise to have a video camera in the room when Juncker orders Leo Varadkar to get his transit van full of 2x4 down to the border and start building that fence.

To the EU if Northern Ireland is outside the customs union and single market that is a hard border
    If that's the extent of a hard border why does the Uk give a toss ?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    DavidL said:

I think May must have her chance to win the MV. I don't see how she can at present, I don't see how it can even be close, but she must get a chance.

If the vote is decisively against, 100+, as looks nailed on at the moment she will need to resign. She has failed to carry Parliament with her in her journey to this deal and she will have failed to convince a meaningful proportion of her own party. It will be time for someone else to have a go.

My guess then is that we will have Hunt or Javid as PM. They will go back to Brussels to seek more time and some re-negotiation. They are likely to get the former but not the latter except in the most flimsy of ways. Some progress on the political statement is possible and that might give some assurance to those worried about the backstop and other provisions of the WA which tie us into EU law.

What do we do then? I'm not sure but a referendum on the new improved deal is increasingly a possibility. It could be yes or no of course in which case the alternative is a no deal Brexit but I think that we have gone past that. It seems likely that remain will be on the ballot paper although we will need clarity of what remain would mean and that what we think it would mean is acceptable to the EU. We might even find that the EU doesn't really fancy the UK being a continuing member and is not minded to grant the option.

IMO the most likely outcome is that MPs will do nothing, except to point the finger at each other.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2018

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Any referendum cannot have a No Deal option* and hence I can't see how there could be one.

* because NI blah blah said it a thousand times before.

Yes exactly - and also because no even vaguely sane minister is going to commit the country to the chaos, having heard the industry and civil service briefings.
    If the referendum is between Deal and Remain, turnout will be very low. It will store up trouble for the future.
    Still better than crashing out, which is unthinkable, and would store up hugely more trouble. For Remainers who supported going ahead with Brexit on the basis that the democratic decision had to be respected, the fact that Leavers are no longer happy with the Brexit they campaigned for removes the obligation to respect the referendum result.
    Leaving without May's deal can happen, it should be on the ballot. It is important that it is defeated and seen to be defeated.
  • Options
    felix said:

Clueless the lot of them. If the Deal is rejected and May goes it will be worse than Suez, it will be the biggest crisis for Britain since 1940. Though it will give Boris the chance to do his Churchill Darkest hour tribute act as replacement PM though
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2018
    The problem with a three-way referendum

- Deal
    - No Deal
    - Remain

is it splits the Leave vote. You could quite conceivably have Remain at 48% and the other two at 26% each. You would need the single transferable voting system (I think that's the right one?) in which voters give their first and second choice, so that if no answer receives 50%+ it goes to a second round of counting. In that scenario, ironically after everything, 'Deal' could quite well come through the middle, being the second preference for both No Dealers and Remainers (well, most of them).

Is the above just a short way of saying, to save all the hassle the MPs should just back May's deal?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

As we need a Deal more than them
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

felix said:

Indeed. And the very last thing needed is a coronation of a Unity candidate. None of any of these problems will be solved by changing the framed photo on Comservative club walls.
    They really need to have it out. In public. With blood on the floor. When they have decided what they want, then, and only then can we begin to move on.
    Yeah, cos what we need is a bloody leadership contest whilst we're going full pelt towards no-deal in March.

Corbyn will be PM by Xmas in those circumstances.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:
    I fully expect Corbyn to be an unenthusiastic advocate of a people's vote, just as he was an unenthusiastic advocate of remain. The weight of opinion in Labour is such that he really has no choice in the matter.

And, to give him his due, he really does pay more than lip service to the concept of a member-led party. He has accepted the party position on Trident, despite it being diametrically opposed to his personal view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

Clueless the lot of them. If the Deal is rejected and May goes it will be worse than Suez, it will be the biggest crisis for Britain since 1940. Though it will give Boris the chance to do his Churchill Darkest hour tribute act as replacement PM though
    2 years of not selling the deal and not bringing her colleagues or voters along with her.

2 years of this chicken licken sky is falling berating of the public.

It's been tried and is about to fail - time for something different and better.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Scott_P said:
    Backing a #peoplesvote at the debate with May would be a gamechanger. She would either have to agree.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

If the vote is decisively against, 100+, as looks nailed on at the moment she will need to resign. She has failed to carry Parliament with her in her journey to this deal and she will have failed to convince a meaningful proportion of her own party. It will be time for someone else to have a go.

My guess then is that we will have Hunt or Javid as PM. They will go back to Brussels to seek more time and some re-negotiation. They are likely to get the former but not the latter except in the most flimsy of ways. Some progress on the political statement is possible and that might give some assurance to those worried about the backstop and other provisions of the WA which tie us into EU law.

What do we do then? I'm not sure but a referendum on the new improved deal is increasingly a possibility. It could be yes or no of course in which case the alternative is a no deal Brexit but I think that we have gone past that. It seems likely that remain will be on the ballot paper although we will need clarity of what remain would mean and that what we think it would mean is acceptable to the EU. We might even find that the EU doesn't really fancy the UK being a continuing member and is not minded to grant the option.

IMO the most likely outcome is that MPs will do nothing, except to point the finger at each other.
    First time around that looks inevitable. Our MPs are pompous, preening fools who love the sound of their own voice and are convinced in the inevitable correctness of their positions, whatever they might be from day to day. If May gets it close, within 30, then she just might get another go. But I am not seeing that outcome at the moment.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Any referendum cannot have a No Deal option* and hence I can't see how there could be one.

Yes exactly - and also because no even vaguely sane minister is going to commit the country to the chaos, having heard the industry and civil service briefings.
    If the referendum is between Deal and Remain, turnout will be very low. It will store up trouble for the future.
    Still better than crashing out, which is unthinkable, and would store up hugely more trouble. For Remainers who supported going ahead with Brexit on the basis that the democratic decision had to be respected, the fact that Leavers are no longer happy with the Brexit they campaigned for removes the obligation to respect the referendum result.
    Your last sentence is utter rubbish. How many Leavers campaigned for May’s deal?

You also need to look longer term. If we offer the referendum you suggest, there will be a whole swathe of mainly older voters, most of whom are staunch Tories, who will never vote again. We will be handing the country to a Corbynite Labour Party for a generation.

If you think that’s worse than crashing out, I strongly disagree.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Leaving without May's deal can happen, it should be on the ballot. It is important that it is defeated and seen to be defeated.
    Tell that to Sir Keir.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

felix said:

Yeah, cos what we need is a bloody leadership contest whilst we're going full pelt towards no-deal in March.

The Conservative Party will fully deserve that outcome, but those of us who voted for them will suffer the consequences.
  • Options

- Deal
    - No Deal
    - Remain

is it splits the Leave vote. You could quite conceivably have Remain at 48% and the other two at 26% each. You would need the single transferable voting system (I think that's the right one?) in which voters give their first and second choice, so that if no answer receives 50%+ it goes to a second round of counting. In that scenario, ironically after everything, 'Deal' could quite well come through the middle, being the second preference for both No Dealers and Remainers (well, most of them).

It must be a ranked vote. And BTW it should be

This Deal
    Not This Deal (which includes the uncertainty of no deal and other deals)
    and Remain

May should be promoting her deal as the Goldilocks solution.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

felix said:

It is polarised and at the extremes. Change leader but the maths and arguments remain
    They do, but whatever happens next, May has has chosen to die on this hill.

The reconstruction era will have to be led by somebody not tainted by this deal. She does not have the moral authority to ask remainers and leavers, to suddenly ignore years of abuse, disingenuous briefings, and general failure to be consulted, and suddenly fall in line behind her as she proclaims herself a born-again healer.

Truth and reconciliation will have to be done by somebody not tainted by May.

From noises off, sounds like Gove might be offering up his services to serve as temporary PM for the duration of the EEA/EFTA pivot.

I think Labour could be encouraged to get behind that if Gove is prepared to sweeten the deal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

DavidL said:

If the vote is decisively against, 100+, as looks nailed on at the moment she will need to resign. She has failed to carry Parliament with her in her journey to this deal and she will have failed to convince a meaningful proportion of her own party.

TBH she hasn't really tried. What's happening now is part of an inexplicable failure to build a cross party consensus, or even keep her own backbenchers on board.

Which given the fragility of her majority, is UTTERLY incomprehensible behaviour.
    She's tried for the last 7-10 days. Before that....not so much.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697

"Among the mysteries of our time is why some of those in Britain who’ve fought hardest to see the nation freed from the shackles of the European Union are in the forefront of the campaign to kill of Theresa May’s hard-won Brexit deal."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6432015/ALEX-BRUMMER-believe-vote-against-Mays-deal-act-national-stupidity.html

It is not really a mystery - it is the wrong kind of Brexit. That is all there is to it.
    To jettison the package now, after so much blood, sweat and tears, would be an historic act of national stupidity.
    The "... historic act of national stupidity ..." was Cameron agreeing to have the referendum on such lax standards (50% + 1 vote) in the first place. Most countries set a level of 66% for constitutional stuff.
    You're right, and its quite interesting that. If that had been in place, we probably wouldn't have got Maastrict. Not because the UK would have voted it down, but because Denmark would have.
  • Options
    Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have agreed to take part in a live TV debate on Brexit before MPs vote on the deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46355299
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

- Deal
    - No Deal
    - Remain

Is the above just a short way of saying, to save all the hassle the MPs should just back May's deal?

No Deal can't be on the ballot paper. And without No Deal as an option the second referendum is meaningless.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Tell that to Sir Keir.
    I'll tell him, I am meeting him at Nando's later before we go ten-pin bowling. Half the problem with Brexit is that govts have been acting as Nanny knows best, withdrawing options, which means they never get clearly defeated and the wounds fester.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RoyalBlue said:

Your last sentence is utter rubbish. How many Leavers campaigned for May’s deal?

Hannan, Banks and Farage specifically advocated remaining in the single market - ie a softer Brexit than May is proposing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have agreed to take part in a live TV debate on Brexit before MPs vote on the deal.

Fair enough, May needs to roll the dice at this point.
  • Options

felix said:

The reconstruction era will have to be led by somebody not tainted by this deal. She does not have the moral authority to ask remainers and leavers, to suddenly ignore years of abuse, disingenuous briefings, and general failure to be consulted, and suddenly fall in line behind her as she proclaims herself a born-again healer.

From noises off, sounds like Gove might be offering up his services to serve as temporary PM for the duration of the EEA/EFTA pivot.

I think Labour could be encouraged to get behind that if Gove is prepared to sweeten the deal.
    Labour is opposed to EFTA/EEA pivot, Labour will only back permanent Customs Union
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which Christmas pantomime is this?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

I think Mrs May has made that very very clear to them and its reflected in the dogs breakfast they have offered up.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

2 years of not selling the deal and not bringing her colleagues or voters along with her.

Most of the public are not that bothered about the Deal, it is Remainers trying to reverse Brexit and Leavers trying to enforce an economically catastrophic No Deal who are the fanatics really dividing
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Half the problem with Brexit is that govts have been acting as Nanny knows best, withdrawing options, which means they never get clearly defeated and the wounds fester.

That was Cameron's view, and he gets a lot of flak for it (including from you IIRC), because regrettably the bad option wasn't rejected.
  • Options

May has her faults but I think that anyone who brought a deal with the EU back to the Commons as it is constituted would be getting the same treatment.

The ERG would remain twats, and too many MPs who voted to trigger A50 weren't prepared to accept that to so meant that they were running down the clock for leaving.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Aladdin with May as Princess Jasmine and Corbyn as the Genie.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

I think Mrs May has made that very very clear to them and its reflected in the dogs breakfast they have offered up.
    It is economic reality, 44% of UK exports go to the EU, only 16% of EU exports go to the UK.

The EU have no incentive to make big concessions to the UK and risk other nations thinking of leaving the EU
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

May has her faults but I think that anyone who brought a deal with the EU back to the Commons as it is constituted would be getting the same treatment.

The ERG would remain twats, and too many MPs who voted to trigger A50 weren't prepared to accept that to so meant that they were running down the clock for leaving.

The funny thing is the ERG would have killed for this 3 years ago.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    TOPPING said:

If you voted leave you should have wargamed the most likely outcome. Surely no one in their right mind could have thought the Brexit *they* voted for would be the one we would end up with.

Comedy answer. Who the hell wargames their vote?

What about those who wanted (3), but 'wargamed' the situation into realising they'd get (1)? Maybe they should switch to LEAVE to get (4) (their second preference)?

• Options
    edited November 2018

dixiedean said:

felix said:

Corbyn as PM of a minority government agreeing a permanent Customs Union and Boris as leader of the Opposition on a pure Brexit platform may end up being the least worst option for the country and the Tory Party now
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Can't see how Corbyn can do well here without having a more coherent stance on Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

Labour is opposed to EFTA/EEA pivot, Labour will only back permanent Customs Union
    Yeah, Norway+.

If there is to be a consensus in Parliament, and Parliament will need to come to this view rather quickly, Norway+ looks to me like it has the easiest path to getting enough Labour, SNP, DUP, LD nods to be viable.

This, of course, is the discussion May should have been having with Parliament a while ago. Certainly after her disastrous election fiasco, ideally before invoking A50.

Still, better late than never I guess.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Most of the public are not that bothered about the Deal, it is Remainers trying to reverse Brexit and Leavers trying to enforce an economically catastrophic No Deal who are the fanatics really dividing
    Do you think Mrs May has done a good job of keeping her party onboard during this process ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    TOPPING said:

- Deal
    - No Deal
    - Remain

No Deal can't be on the ballot paper. And without No Deal as an option the second referendum is meaningless.
    I disagree with that. Any negotiated withdrawal agreement would look like this one and is the only way to leave in an orderly manner. Anyone who *really* wants to leave the EU would vote for the deal as the 'freedom to win freedom' option. Removing No Deal just removes the populist stick it to the man element so people have to make a reality-based choice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    If we have a second referendum and vote to Remain, we then get to vote in the EU parliamentary elections in June. Using d'Hondt.

Referendum, local elections, euro-election, all in the space of 6 months.

Get in!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

Corbyn as PM of a minority government agreeing a permanent Customs Union and Boris as leader of the Opposition on a pure Brexit platform may end up being the least worst option for the country and the Tory Party now
    Boris is never the least worst option for anything.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Which again, makes me wonder how many of them ever supported Brexit at all. I do think that for a lot of MPs, it's all part of some elaborate game that we don't know the rules of.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Half the problem with Brexit is that govts have been acting as Nanny knows best, withdrawing options, which means they never get clearly defeated and the wounds fester.

That was Cameron's view, and he gets a lot of flak for it (including from you IIRC), because regrettably the bad option wasn't rejected.
    Cameron deserves all the the flak he gets and more. But lets not go there. Too much of Brexit is how did we get here, not how do we get out of it. It is useful to learn from past errors, but not use the future to settle old scores.

We would do better on Brexit if everyone's memory was wiped and we looked at the three options in front of us (and the fact that no deal is default) and made a choice based on what looks good going forward.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018

Can't see how Corbyn can do well here without having a more coherent stance on Brexit.
    He drops the I have listened to the overwhelming opinion of my party and I will go along with them in recommending a People's Vote. Media go wild, Jezza wins.

It is as predictable as Jezza will propose free uni at the last GE and at the next legal weed.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

felix said:

There Is No Alternative. May has no majority, no authority. Neither would anyone else without a contest.
    We are heading for No Deal anyway.
    If that means Corbyn PM, then there we go.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

You also need to look longer term. If we offer the referendum you suggest, there will be a whole swathe of mainly older voters, most of whom are staunch Tories, who will never vote again. We will be handing the country to a Corbynite Labour Party for a generation.

You'll also win plenty of centrist voters who are sick of Corbyn's prevarication on Brexit.
  • Options

Thing is, as in 2017, the bar for Corbyn is set so low he only has to get on stage without tripping over to carry the day.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Who is the front of the donkey, who is the rear?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Yeah, Norway+.

If there is to be a consensus in Parliament, and Parliament will need to come to this view rather quickly, Norway+ looks to me like it has the easiest path to getting enough Labour, SNP, DUP, LD nods to be viable.

This, of course, is the discussion May should have been having with Parliament a while ago. Certainly after her disastrous election fiasco, ideally before invoking A50.

Still, better late than never I guess.
    Single Market plus Customs Union is effectively not Brexit at all in almost every respect but would still be better than No Deal
  • Options

TOPPING said:

If you voted leave you should have wargamed the most likely outcome. Surely no one in their right mind could have thought the Brexit *they* voted for would be the one we would end up with.

What about those who wanted (3), but 'wargamed' the situation into realising they'd get (1)? Maybe they should switch to LEAVE to get (4) (their second preference)?

Most of us, like good students, just answer the question that has been set.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I fully expect Corbyn to be an unenthusiastic advocate of a people's vote, just as he was an unenthusiastic advocate of remain. The weight of opinion in Labour is such that he really has no choice in the matter.

And, to give him his due, he really does pay more than lip service to the concept of a member-led party. He has accepted the party position on Trident, despite it being diametrically opposed to his personal view.
    I think his rhetoric will be (sort of) supportive of a second referendum, whilst his parliamentary actions and party administrative actions will be based on sitting out the clock for no deal.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Do you think Mrs May has done a good job of keeping her party onboard during this process ?
    Her party is now impossible to manage, it looks and feels now more like a party ready for opposition than the party of government it was in 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Because he won't talk about Brexit much. He'll do what worked so well during the election campaign: hijack the discussion and drag it onto your turf, and bombard May with endless emotive onslaughts. Austerity, poverty, jobs, workers rights, the NHS, tax, food banks. He'll lay into May from every possible angle.

He'll claim to want a Jobs First brexit. He'll promise unicorns and cake in abundance.

Meanwhile, May will be quoting tractor production stats from the people's commissariat for agricultural output and wondering why she isn't getting applause.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She should resign if and when she loses by something approaching that margin, although she won't no doubt citing the national interest as her reason.

The interesting point about Fallon's intervention is not his opposition to her deal but the pointed refusal from a natural ally to commit to backing her in a future no confidence vote, suggesting to me that she is now odds on to lose one when it comes in December.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Which again, makes me wonder how many of them ever supported Brexit at all. I do think that for a lot of MPs, it's all part of some elaborate game that we don't know the rules of.
    I do fear it's more animalistic than that: many of the ERGers are, frankly, non-entities. There are those that want power and could conceivably get it (e.g. Boris, Davis). For the rest, they've become MPs and will get no further. Being against the EU is a position that gets their face on the TV, attracts a favourable crowd around them and gives them a feeling of self-importance.

If the EU issue ever becomes settled, they'll return to being non-entities, instead of the really important people they feel they deserve to be.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

TOPPING said:

You are confirming that people are too stupid to know what they are voting for.

Reading the leavers on this website I am inclined to agree with you.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

If May goes she takes all Chequers and Deal backers with her leaving Boris the likely successor
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Wargames on Brexit...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Her party is now impossible to manage, it looks and feels now more like a party ready for opposition than the party of government it was in 2010
    Just say it - no.

When even Fallon has had enough the writing is on the wall.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Because he won't talk about Brexit much. He'll do what worked so well during the election campaign: hijack the discussion and drag it onto your turf, and bombard May with endless emotive onslaughts. Austerity, poverty, jobs, workers rights, the NHS, tax, food banks. He'll lay into May from every possible angle.

He'll claim to want a Jobs First brexit. He'll promise unicorns and cake in abundance.

Meanwhile, May will be quoting tractor production stats from the people's commissariat for agricultural output and wondering why she isn't getting applause.
    You have a point, but I'm not sure how much scope Corbyn will have to do that when the topic of the debate is supposed to be Brexit. I'm sure he'll manage somewhat, but it'd look absurd if he refused to mostly talk about Brexit.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

You'll also win plenty of centrist voters who are sick of Corbyn's prevarication on Brexit.
    I think both of them are on holiday during election week.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Backing a #peoplesvote at the debate with May would be a gamechanger. She would either have to agree.
    Do you say the hashtag when you say #peoplesvote?

Does it need distinguishing from a different people's vote campaign without the hashtag?

And if you must insist on it, why don't you at least make it useful, with a link, like this #peoplesvote?

• Options
    Meeting between opposition MPs and Barwell gets duff reviews. Snell says "insipid" will vote against. Creasy "death by PowerPoint ". Questions not answered.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

If May goes she takes all Chequers and Deal backers with her leaving Boris the likely successor
    Most Conservative MPs hate him. They hate everyone, but him in particular.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

It’s remarkable how few Leavers can see this.

Personally, I think the most likely outcome of voting down this deal is that we Remain or Leave on even closer terms (e.g. full SM/CU permanently) than we have on the table now.

At every point I expect the ERG and other leading Leavers to blame everyone but themselves.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Just say it - no.

May has got the best possible Deal from the EU in terms of respecting the Leave vote, if her party refuse to back it they should prepare for Corbyn as PM and a more BINO deal and go into opposition under Boris
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If May goes she takes all Chequers and Deal backers with her

What, all four of them?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

There are enough Leavers to get him in the final 2 and most members love Boris as Yougov and Con home polls attest. Boris will succeed May if she goes
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

I trust May far more than Boris, who’d sell out his own family to further his career.

May has integrity and a sense of duty, even when I don’t agree with her and her hamfisted approach to politics.

Boris has neither.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Meeting between opposition MPs and Barwell gets duff reviews. Snell says "insipid" will vote against. Creasy "death by PowerPoint ". Questions not answered.

Does "death by powerpoint" simply mean politicians had to immerse themselves in the actual detail for five minutes without checking Twitter?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think a lot of it is peer group pressure mixed with personal ambition and longstanding grudges.

That should end at school, but Westminster has a very peculiar culture.
  • Options

The detail in May's deal is absolutely toxic. All Corbyn needs to do is to repeatedly pick out examples from that to show that the EU has got us over a barrel, taking the stance that it's the worst of all worlds and thus simultaneously appealing to Remainers and Leavers. He can call out May for rolling over like a patsy in negotiations and claim that he would and could do better in the negotiations. Well he could hardly have done worse given what we have ended up with.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Who is the front of the donkey, who is the rear?
    Think I may have spotted where Boris may be the least worst option!
  • Options

I trust May far more than Boris, who’d sell out his own family to further his career.

May has integrity and a sense of duty, even when I don’t agree with her and her hamfisted approach to politics.

Boris has neither.

I blame Angus Deaton for all this.

No crack cocaine and he would have remained host of HIGNFY. Boris would not have found exposure on the show that gave him a platform to run for mayor. If he hadn't run for mayor, he would not have nudged the Leave campaign over 50%.

Damn you Angus. You're almost as bad as the producer that cast Trump on the Apprentice.
  • Options

You have a point, but I'm not sure how much scope Corbyn will have to do that when the topic of the debate is supposed to be Brexit. I'm sure he'll manage somewhat, but it'd look absurd if he refused to mostly talk about Brexit.
    Derailing a conversation is an easy skill for a politician. Corbyn is a rambling, incoherent politician at the best of times. It'd take a moderator far more skilled than any the BBC can muster to keep Corbyn on topic and stop him launching a multi-pronged assault on May from every possible angle.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

Boris has neither.
    @grabcocque summed him up correctly as an "amoral sociopathic snake."

He backed Brexit to advance his career, he flounced out of the Cabinet to advance his career, and he'd campaign to join the Euro if it would advance his career.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    The only course that can heal the nation now is no deal followed by rejoin. We'll still fucking despise each other but the remainers will be back in the EU and the leavers will have had their crackpot ideas indulged and tested to destruction but still have their eternal grievance to burnish.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Incorrect. He's my least worst choice for MP I'd like to see fired into a woodchipper.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Does "death by powerpoint" simply mean politicians had to immerse themselves in the actual detail for five minutes without checking Twitter?
    I think it does.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1067346680549384192
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The only course that can heal the nation now is no deal followed by rejoin. We'll still fucking despise each other but the remainers will be back in the EU and the leavers will have had their crackpot ideas indulged and tested to destruction but still have their eternal grievance to burnish.

I can definitely see this as a possible future.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    HYUFD said:

May has got the best possible Deal from the EU in terms of respecting the Leave vote, if her party refuse to back it they should prepare for Corbyn as PM and a more BINO deal and go into opposition under Boris

You say it, you may even be right but that doesn't seem to be how many people see it. The view is there was a better deal to be done - it might have been the best deal May could get - it doesn't mean it was the best deal.

The other aspect is the lamentable lack of preparation for "No Deal" though how much of that is part of Project Fear to scare people into backing the Deal remains to be seen.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Or vice versa...
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    If Theresa May actions do not make sense looking at the forthcoming vote in Parliament, perhaps her actions are focused on preparing the ground for what she is going to do next?
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think a lot of it is peer group pressure mixed with personal ambition and longstanding grudges.

That should end at school, but Westminster has a very peculiar culture.
    Or maybe they can just see that this deal isn't very good.

What is it with the demonisation of anyone who represents the majority of the country that actually wants to leave the EU in a meaningful way?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

felix said:

I suggest you watch last night's episode of the documentary "Inside the Foreign Office":
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bsvdw3/inside-the-foreign-office-series-1-2-brave-new-world
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Another referendum would have to include the 3 main options, the deal, no deal, remain. Equally what it could not include are the deal (complex and in any event doesn't include the all important future relationship), no deal (no agreement on what that means) or remain (already rejected). It's IMO a non starter. Ditto a general election. Cannot see a realistic route to that.

So surely we leave on 29 March next year with some sort of deal, either this one with TM still in place or with something different under a new tory PM?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

I think it does.
    It does make me wonder about Barwell's grasp on the seriousness of his predicament or reality.

His job depends on somehow avoiding a catastrophic shellacking for his boss, which by this point, barring a miracle, seems now absolutely certain.

His solution was a powerpoint presentation.
  • Options
    May vs Corbyn debate could be Clegg vs Farage all over again. Polished facts vs rage, narrative and populism. All the while elevating the outsider to the rank of the incumbent. I'm astonished she's offering it to him. Another sign she's cracked and needs removing.
  • Options
    If you don't want to watch the whole thing (I imagine many of here would find it fascinating) here's a clip:
    https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1067397558828453888
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

They're putting it on at the same time as the SCD Final - I think Theresa will waltz it and quickstep her way past the rumbaing Corbyn who really can't can't dance and the audience will tell him to Foxtrot off the stage!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Nearly all Leavers (with the notable exception of Patrick Minford) campaigned for a form of Brexit like May's deal:

- A 'free trade area from Ireland to Turkey': Tick
    - A deal which protects supply chains: Tick
    - An end to free movement: Tick
    - Out of the CAP: Tick
    - Out of the CFP: Tick
    - End to ever-closer union: Tick
    - No even hypothetical chance of getting involved in an EU Army: Tick
    - An end to ECJ jurisdiction in UK domestic law: Tick
    - An end to megapayments to the EU: Tick
    - Possibility of agreeing our own trade deals: Only half a tick, I concede

I've no idea why they no longer favour these things, but as I said, the fact that they don't means we no longer should feel obliged to respect the result of the first people's vote. If they don't want to take Yes for an answer, why on earth should those who preferred No in the first place disagree with their new position that the Brexit campaigned for is worse than Remain?
This discussion has been closed.