Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The deal splits the Tories whilst a referendum would split LAB

Comments

• Options
    Barnesian said:

notme said:

Can we not just have sodding membership of efta, must of this drama would disappear. The Eu cannot be relied on to hold to any agreement of understanding for future trading deal.

EFTA doesn’t respect the referendum result which voted to end free movement.
    The referendum result doesn't deserve respect. It was based on widespread ignorance and corrupt practices. Why respect it?
    Sounds like every time we elect a Labour Government. A dangerous line to take I would suggest.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    currystar said:

currystar said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

A second referendum would split the Tories too.

I think that an awful lot would turn on the question that was actually put to the voters.

I guess it will be remain or May's deal. I don't think Parliament would risk a no deal option.
    In which case remain could well win. Too manyleavers publicly saying deal is worse than remain to change tack.
    Why did they bother supporting Leave in the first place?
    They took a gamble that they would get perfect brexit and are pretending the question was more than it was. If they genuinely feel some brexits are not worth it then they must feel duty bound to support remain should they fail to get support for no deal.
    I don't think anyone predicted that remainer May would serve up such a terrible deal. The assumption was it would be Cameron or somebody competent.

Do you really think if a brilliant brexiteer was in charge the deal would have been any different. The EU would still be the same EU
    But there were plenty of people accurately pointing out the mistakes that were being made before they were even agreed. I mean people who genuinely wanted things to go well rather than hardline opponents on either side. It was obvious from the start that agreeing the EU scheduling was a ridiculous idea. If the UK had stood their ground on that and made a cogent argument even the EU would have seen it was daft. Agreeing the Irish backstop was another daft idea. Deciding to represent only the views of a tiny hardline minority of the electorate rather than having a Brexit for the widest number of people.

A moderate Brexit supporter would have been able to see these things - as did many on both sides of the referendum divide - and would have had a far better chance of selling a sensible compromise than someone who clearly did not understand or even want to understand why people voted Brexit.

I can well imagine May sat in meetings in Brussels saying ' look I am really sorry about this. I didn't vote for Brexit and have no idea why people did'. It may be a way to keep friends in the EU but it is no way to try and run a negotiation.
    With their treatment of Greece I just can't see the EU acting any differently towards us.
    Come come, you know very well that the EUs need to sell us prosecco and BMWs means that they will give us everything we want before we have even asked for it. The easiest trade deal in human history......
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,757

felix said:

OT: A second referendum would be a just reward for the idiots on the extrme right of the Tory party. I firmly believe it would be a vote to Remain in the EU.

Raab and the others in the ERG display an IQ of the kindergarten

Going round saying this is worse than remain invites 48% of the Country saying we have told you so for the last two years so let's agree to remain

Indeed almost guaranteeing a substantial remain vote in a referendum

It's only a poor idea if they are doing it as a tactic. If they believe it they should welcome a remain vote to save them from this deal.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Something to lighten the mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyd-5iEvrE
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Barnesian said:

notme said:

Can we not just have sodding membership of efta, must of this drama would disappear. The Eu cannot be relied on to hold to any agreement of understanding for future trading deal.

The referendum result doesn't deserve respect. It was based on widespread ignorance and corrupt practices. Why respect it?
    For the same reason that one respects any election result. It's better to face one's opponents on the hustings than on the battlefield/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Barnesian said:

notme said:

Contempt for democracy is such an ugly look.
  • Options

DavidL said:

This jury are being very slow. Unlike Ms Onasanya's car.

Joyridden by a mystery Russian...
    Surely this happens to your car all the time. And you lend out both your phones at the same time of course. Nothing surprising about that at all.
    Will this come down to a technicality? As I understand it the offence is that the NIP form was filled in incorrectly. If the prosecution can not prove that she had knowledge of the filling in of the form has she not broken that law?
    Being really dumb is not a crime in most instances I get, as that appeared to be her defence
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sobering reading for PB Tories from Goodwin:

" ‘Corbynomics’, which is cutting through."

https://unherd.com/2018/11/corbynomics-winning-britain/

Why is his best PM rating falling like a house brick then ?
    Goodwin says poor best PM ratings don't matter so much, if there is a message that resonates e.g. 'for the many'.

OGH will disagree no doubt.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,448
    edited November 2018
    Or we could listen to the evil genius behind Vote Leave

Dominic Cummings, Campaign Director of Vote Leave wrote in The Spectator in January 2017 on "how the Brexit referendum was won"

"Leave won because 1) three big forces [the immigration crisis, the 2008 financial crisis and the euro crisis] created conditions in which the contest was competitive, AND 2) Vote Leave exploited the situation imperfectly but effectively, AND 3) Cameron/Osborne made big mistakes. If just one of these had been different, it is very likely IN would have won."

"Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No.

Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No."

"If Boris, Gove, and Gisela had not supported us and picked up the baseball bat marked ‘Turkey/NHS/£350 million’ with five weeks to go, then 650,000 votes might have been lost."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/dominic-cummings-brexit-referendum-won/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

A second referendum would split the Tories too.

I think that an awful lot would turn on the question that was actually put to the voters.

I guess it will be remain or May's deal. I don't think Parliament would risk a no deal option.
    In which case remain could well win. Too manyleavers publicly saying deal is worse than remain to change tack.
    Why did they bother supporting Leave in the first place?
    Or become the Brexit Minister who negotiated it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

felix said:

OT: A second referendum would be a just reward for the idiots on the extrme right of the Tory party. I firmly believe it would be a vote to Remain in the EU.

Raab and the others in the ERG display an IQ of the kindergarten

Going round saying this is worse than remain invites 48% of the Country saying we have told you so for the last two years so let's agree to remain

Indeed almost guaranteeing a substantial remain vote in a referendum

It's only a poor idea if they are doing it as a tactic. If they believe it they should welcome a remain vote to save them from this deal.
    ERG do not seem to have a clue what they are doing. If it ends up remain with big margin it will be so ironic
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Surely this happens to your car all the time. And you lend out both your phones at the same time of course. Nothing surprising about that at all.
    Will this come down to a technicality? As I understand it the offence is that the NIP form was filled in incorrectly. If the prosecution can not prove that she had knowledge of the filling in of the form has she not broken that law?
    She is legally responsible for what is on the form so she would be guilty of an offence about that but I agree that the much more serious charge requires her to be shown to have had knowledge about what was allegedly declared on her behalf or at the very least recklessly indifferent to what was said.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Sounds like every time we elect a Labour Government. A dangerous line to take I would suggest.
    Malpractice and illegality from either campaign would be sufficient reason to rerun it. The main reason to run it though is that there is significant new information about the choice. A second vote would be far better informed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited November 2018

But there were plenty of people accurately pointing out the mistakes that were being made before they were even agreed. I mean people who genuinely wanted things to go well rather than hardline opponents on either side. It was obvious from the start that agreeing the EU scheduling was a ridiculous idea. If the UK had stood their ground on that and made a cogent argument even the EU would have seen it was daft. Agreeing the Irish backstop was another daft idea. Deciding to represent only the views of a tiny hardline minority of the electorate rather than having a Brexit for the widest number of people.

A moderate Brexit supporter would have been able to see these things - as did many on both sides of the referendum divide - and would have had a far better chance of selling a sensible compromise than someone who clearly did not understand or even want to understand why people voted Brexit.

I can well imagine May sat in meetings in Brussels saying ' look I am really sorry about this. I didn't vote for Brexit and have no idea why people did'. It may be a way to keep friends in the EU but it is no way to try and run a negotiation.

The best negotiating tactic is to be extremely nice, while being very clearly prepared to walk away. We instead went for nasty but unprepared. We got everyone's back up in the EU at the beginning of the process, while doing exactly nothing to be ready for a situation where we left the EU without a deal. We probably shouldn't even have triggered Article 50 until we had agreed replacements for the EU's existing arrangements - but sadly politics came first.

I think the government - and particularly Dr Liam Fox - was also staggered to discover that other (non-EU) countries saw this as an opportunity to get one over the UK. British Airways and Virgin are going to end up losing a ton of transatlantic Heathrow slots as that is the price that is being demanded by the US to get an aviation deal concluded before 1 May next year. Which sucks for those of us have to regularly cross the Atlantic, and who hate flying United or Delta.

Nevertheless, for the reasons articulated by @DavidL below, I think this deal is much better than a No Deal scenario. It respects the referendum result, as far as both leaving the political project that is the EU and ending Free Movement, while also minimising economic disruption.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Malpractice and illegality from either campaign would be sufficient reason to rerun it. The main reason to run it though is that there is significant new information about the choice. A second vote would be far better informed.
    Again : Sounds like every time we elect a Labour Government. A dangerous line to take I would suggest
  • Options
    Met police announce they will use their cars to knock moped criminals off their mopeds.

Excellent news
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I take it you are in favour of an informed referendum on the actual deal. That's democracy in action, - not the perverse imitation of 23 June 2016.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

We'll be even better I formed for the third one then.

I back one but mostly on the grounds that it seems likely Mps will refuse to positively make a decision one way or another.
  • Options

Dominic Cummings, Campaign Director of Vote Leave wrote in The Spectator in January 2017 on "how the Brexit referendum was won"

"Leave won because 1) three big forces [the immigration crisis, the 2008 financial crisis and the euro crisis] created conditions in which the contest was competitive, AND 2) Vote Leave exploited the situation imperfectly but effectively, AND 3) Cameron/Osborne made big mistakes. If just one of these had been different, it is very likely IN would have won."

"Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No.

Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No."

"If Boris, Gove, and Gisela had not supported us and picked up the baseball bat marked ‘Turkey/NHS/£350 million’ with five weeks to go, then 650,000 votes might have been lost."

And yet the polling you linked to shows that Cummings' opinion on this is flawed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

For the same reason that one respects any election result. It's better to face one's opponents on the hustings than on the battlefield/
    That's good.
  • Options

And yet the polling you linked to shows that Cummings' opinion on this is flawed.
    There's other polling which backs up my point and his view as mine.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I take it you are in favour of an informed referendum on the actual deal. That's democracy in action, - not the perverse imitation of 23 June 2016.
    No. You need to enact a decision before you ask people again.

When we’ve left, I have no objection to a rejoin referendum in, say, 45 years time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Again : Sounds like every time we elect a Labour Government. A dangerous line to take I would suggest
    Not at all, in BAU politics we get to vote on experience after 5 years when we have more information.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

But without the first we'd never have a deal to put to people in the first place.
  • Options
    It turns out that pandering to xenophobia to win a referendum leads to suboptimal outcomes. Who would have guessed that?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

But without the first we'd never have a deal to put to people in the first place.
    That's true. Good point.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I do think the line about the ignorance and corrupt practices is the remainer's mangra to try to discredit the referendum. I doubt the vast majority of those voting care too much for that argument
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, saw some good footage of miscreants being introduced to the pavement on the news earlier. Amused it was preceded by a rather unnecessary warning that some viewers might find it disturbing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Met police announce they will use their cars to knock moped criminals off their mopeds.

Excellent news

Does this refer to suspects -innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Or criminals who have actually been convicted?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

Of course. Only this afternoon, this bloke who said his name was Sergei knocked on my door. He said he was an DPD delivery driver and could he borrow my car and mobiles for the afternoon, so he could finish his rounds.

Should I be getting worried he hasn't returned yet?
    Nah, it'll be fine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I’ve had the democracy discussion with @Barnesian several times. We always come back to variations on the theme of the electorate don’t know what’s good for ‘em. Not a good look for those involved in politics since the 19th century.
  • Options
    Would any of the PB lawyers please provide comment on Martin Howe's analysis of May's deal? Is he correct in law?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/11/mays-brexit-deal-the-legal-verdict/
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It turns out that pandering to xenophobia to win a referendum

But not elections - Corbyn lost in 2017.
  • Options

Excellent news

Some amazing footage here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-46321715/thieves-knocked-off-mopeds-by-police-in-london
  • Options

Excellent news

There is an epic video from the Met on social media of them doing just that - Judge Dredd stuff.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    If Anna votes down the deal then she too is part of the problem, I hope she realises this.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Pulpstar said:

If Anna votes down the deal then she too is part of the problem, I hope she realises this.
    She does have a horribly arrogant "I am better than you " look about her.
  • Options

Would any of the PB lawyers please provide comment on Martin Howe's analysis of May's deal? Is he correct in law?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/11/mays-brexit-deal-the-legal-verdict/

Martin Howe is on the Leaver's payroll (including the ERG), not convinced I should bother.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Ken's going to have a word.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

When we’ve left, I have no objection to a rejoin referendum in, say, 45 years time.
    If a General Election took place at the beginning of 2019, and a party was elected with a majority favouring a Remain referendum, then we'd have to respect that.

I don't see it happening, but we can't ban voters from choosing things we don't like. They are allowed to change their minds.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Pulpstar said:

How crap would you have to be to lose an election to Ms Soubry ?
  • Options
    BudG said:

Excellent news

Does this refer to suspects -innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Or criminals who have actually been convicted?
    Those in the process of the crime or aftermath
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    currystar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think that's just her official MP picture (which I think they've done a pretty good job on for most MPs/peers).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from? It seems to have been conjured up out of nowhere.

In real life, in business or personally, one often makes a joint decision (to acquire a company or buy a house) but as more information emerges, and before you enact the decision, you change your mind.

"I know we agreed to acquire this company but having looked at the books it's crap. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."

"Look dear - I know we agreed to buy this house but the survey is awful. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

If a General Election took place at the beginning of 2019, and a party was elected with a majority favouring a Remain referendum, then we'd have to respect that.

I don't see it happening, but we can't ban voters from choosing things we don't like. They are allowed to change their minds.
    Hmm. Only if staying in was in their manifesto, I’d suggest.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

It turns out that pandering to xenophobia to win a referendum leads to suboptimal outcomes. Who would have guessed that?

During one of the referendum press conferences someone asked Gove whether "the choice for Vote Leave was to lose with a technocratic argument, or win with an ethnic appeal to the English nation".
  • Options

notme said:

Anazina said:

notme said:

Nope. Not you as well. There was nothing about free movement on the ballot paper.

I fear a 'word cloud' is heading my way.
    Were you in a coma during the referendum, did you miss all the stuff about ending free movement?
    Some people voted leave for reasons other than migration.
    I know but it was the second most important reason, in fact you could argue that it was a subset of number one.

So as we have said all along, immigration was not the main driving factor behind the Leave vote and yet we have sacrificed every other possible Brexit on the alter of ending EU migration. I hope HYUFD sees that.
    The principal decision that people would want to be taken here is deciding who can come here. For many, "sovereignty" was just code for immigration.
    You of all people have no idea why people voted for Brexit. You are utterly removed from any understanding of normal everyday motivations.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Excellent news

There is an epic video from the Met on social media of them doing just that - Judge Dredd stuff.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1065942786254561280
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mortimer said:

Unless you are incapable.

After the last general Election , without the DUP agreement, we would have had another election...

This government have had 2 years to secure a deal, and they have manifestly failed.

Another vote would be entirely constitutional, and many would argue imperative at this point.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    BudG said:

Excellent news

Driving dangerously is a crime.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Surely "only if having a referendum was in their manifesto"?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Part of Mays problem is people are planning to vote it down while claiming it's not their fault they voted it down. Which is not quite the same thing as voting it down for good reasons, if which there are some.

It's also why, I suspect, plenty of Tories argued not to bring it to parliament at all, to avoid any responsibility, good or bad, for voting it down.

But Soubry at least is transparent that she is prepared to risk it all in pursuit of a goal of remain, so any arguments are in context to justifying that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from? It seems to have been conjured up out of nowhere.

In real life, in business or personally, one often makes a joint decision (to acquire a company or buy a house) but as more information emerges, and before you enact the decision, you change your mind.

"I know we agreed to acquire this company but having looked at the books it's crap. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."

"Look dear - I know we agreed to buy this house but the survey is awful. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."
    Poltics is not marriage or business.

You disagree with the decision. Fine. But you lost. Acceptance of that is the grown up thing to do.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

It is called democracy. Maybe we should just ignore any election result we don't like. Or have an election every time a Government falls behind in the polls. The principles would be exactly the same.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I do think the line about the ignorance and corrupt practices is the remainer's mangra to try to discredit the referendum. I doubt the vast majority of those voting care too much for that argument
    Agreed. I was just reminding TSE. He mentioned, umm, "respect".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

... or is she part of the solution?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Yep - misread your post!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

After the last general Election , without the DUP agreement, we would have had another election...

This government have had 2 years to secure a deal, and they have manifestly failed.

Another vote would be entirely constitutional, and many would argue imperative at this point.
    They've achieved a deal.

It's up to the Commons to decide whether the want it, and if not, what they want in its place.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Unfortunately as many would, as many wouldn't. The result of a polarised argument while some of us are left out in the cold
  • Options

There's other polling which backs up my point and his view as mine.
    And of course you are only interested in the polling that supports your own view.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The best negotiating tactic is to be extremely nice, while being very clearly prepared to walk away. We instead went for nasty but unprepared. We got everyone's back up in the EU at the beginning of the process, while doing exactly nothing to be ready for a situation where we left the EU without a deal. We probably shouldn't even have triggered Article 50 until we had agreed replacements for the EU's existing arrangements - but sadly politics came first.

I think the government - and particularly Dr Liam Fox - was also staggered to discover that other (non-EU) countries saw this as an opportunity to get one over the UK. British Airways and Virgin are going to end up losing a ton of transatlantic Heathrow slots as that is the price that is being demanded by the US to get an aviation deal concluded before 1 May next year. Which sucks for those of us have to regularly cross the Atlantic, and who hate flying United or Delta.

Nevertheless, for the reasons articulated by @DavidL below, I think this deal is much better than a No Deal scenario. It respects the referendum result, as far as both leaving the political project that is the EU and ending Free Movement, while also minimising economic disruption.

How does the withdrawal agreement end free movement?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Where was the mandate for the AV referendum? Based on the same precedent all that is needed is a deal between the parties.
  • Options

During one of the referendum press conferences someone asked Gove whether "the choice for Vote Leave was to lose with a technocratic argument, or win with an ethnic appeal to the English nation".
    Oh a question at a press conference- that proves that the minds of the 17.4 million were at one then.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Part of Mays problem is people are planning to vote it down while claiming it's not their fault they voted it down. Which is not quite the same thing as voting it down for good reasons, if which there are some.

It's also why, I suspect, plenty of Tories argued not to bring it to parliament at all, to avoid any responsibility, good or bad, for voting it down.

But Soubry at least is transparent that she is prepared to risk it all in pursuit of a goal of remain, so any arguments are in context to justifying that.
    People like Soubry should never have voted to trigger A50, if they could not accept the result of the referendum.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

I’ve had the democracy discussion with @Barnesian several times. We always come back to variations on the theme of the electorate don’t know what’s good for ‘em. Not a good look for those involved in politics since the 19th century.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    Winston Churchill
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

notme said:

Anazina said:

notme said:

Nope. Not you as well. There was nothing about free movement on the ballot paper.

I fear a 'word cloud' is heading my way.
    Were you in a coma during the referendum, did you miss all the stuff about ending free movement?
    Some people voted leave for reasons other than migration.
    I know but it was the second most important reason, in fact you could argue that it was a subset of number one.

So as we have said all along, immigration was not the main driving factor behind the Leave vote and yet we have sacrificed every other possible Brexit on the alter of ending EU migration. I hope HYUFD sees that.
    The principal decision that people would want to be taken here is deciding who can come here. For many, "sovereignty" was just code for immigration.
    You of all people have no idea why people voted for Brexit. You are utterly removed from any understanding of normal everyday motivations.
    There are 17.4 million answers to the question "why did you vote for Brexit?" That is the nub of the problem - everyone has a different view of what Brexit means and so it is impossible to find a way forward which satisfies more than a small minority of voters. As Theresa May is now learning.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    You can lay at 370 on BF.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

You disagree with the decision. Fine. But you lost. Acceptance of that is the grown up thing to do.

I don't support a second referendum, but your logic there is utterly rotten.

If 75% of the public regularly said they wanted a second referendum, would you still deny it them?

You are clinging on to the fact that any second referendum is, like the first one, unlikely to be conclusive one way or another.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

They have not failed to secure a deal. They've (we assume based on statements so far) failed to secure one which will get through the commons.

It's an important distinction even if the latter is still a big failure.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

If 75% of the public regularly said they wanted a second referendum, would you still deny it them?
    That would depend if They vote for a party promising to hold one or not. They might support one but due to other reasons back parties which don't promise one. The public would then in effect deny itself one.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    Winston Churchill
    He almost certainly never said that.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

You are clinging on to the fact that any second referendum is, like the first one, unlikely to be conclusive one way or another.
    Not at all.

If a poll indicated that 75% of the population wanted a referendum, politics would come into play. One party would offer one. Or a new party promising one would come into play.

This is the beauty of democracy.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

People like Soubry should never have voted to trigger A50, if they could not accept the result of the referendum.
    And some did not. More should have if they were this opposed. Not saying thatwpukd be politically easy but if some managed it so could others.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

It is called democracy. Maybe we should just ignore any election result we don't like. Or have an election every time a Government falls behind in the polls. The principles would be exactly the same.
    Totally agree - but if in the impasse we might have another referendum is offered it would be legal and I would certainly vote Remain again.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

You haven't answered the question Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from?
  • Options

There are no new circumstances that would justify a second referendum.

The only purpose of a second referendum (if it occurs) is to dig the Commons out of the hole it dug for itself.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Winston Churchill
    Not refuting opposition to democracy I see. Quelle surprise.
  • Options

During the transition period free movement continues, but only during that period. The Institute for Government summary - https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/framework-uk-eu-future-relationship - explains it best:

"End of freedom of movement, but both sides will ‘aim to provide’ visa-free travel.

UK not able to discriminate between member states.

Arrangements on temporary entry for business.

Specific schemes covering research, study, training and youth exchanges, as well as social security coordination to be negotiated."

A great deal of the problems with this debate is that people confuse the transition period with what follows it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They have not failed to secure a deal. They've (we assume based on statements so far) failed to secure one which will get through the commons.

It's an important distinction

It really isn't. It might also not get through the EU process.

The deal is about secure as the job of Brexit secretary...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Winston Churchill
    Perpetuating another myth there Barnesian. It is an internet meme which has no basis in fact. There is absolutely no evidence of it even existing before 2000.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

You haven't answered the question Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from?
    Generally happens at General Elections :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The passage of 30-35 years might be a reasonable justification..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Generally happens at General Elections :)
    I suppose we should excuse supporters of parties that have never won a majority from understanding how the process works :)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It removes us from the single market and allows us to set our own migration policy. The Political Document includes an aspiration to visa free travel but that is not part of the WA.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

And some did not. More should have if they were this opposed. Not saying thatwpukd be politically easy but if some managed it so could others.
    They should have followed the example of Kenneth Clarke, and voted against the legislation.

Voting in favour of it, while agitating for a new referendum, is a bit despicable.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    TGOHF said:

Excellent news

This sort of stuff might be necessary in some cases but salivating over 'epic' videos of it happening is a bit weird.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Winston Churchill
    He almost certainly never said that.
    After all, he's unlikely to have spent five minutes talking to the average voter.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The only purpose of a second referendum (if it occurs) is to dig the Commons out of the hole it dug for itself.

Your second sentence refutes your first.

Headbanging Leavers have no right to drive the rest of us off a cliff without a further mandate. The only mandate they sought was to spunk money on the NHS and to be unpleasant to foreigners. They need more before they can follow through on their mad project.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Look you are embarrassing yourself with these anti-democratic arguments. They show a disdain for the voters which you should be ashamed of. If Parliament , which is sovereign opts for a second referendum that would be legitimate but not on the basis that you lack any respect for the choices of your fellow citizens.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Commons hole is a new circumstance, and it absolutely justifies asking the people to help them
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Headbanging Leavers have no right to drive the rest of us off a cliff without a further mandate.

Leavers aren't driving Alistair. Its a cabal of Remainers at the wheel.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Sean_F said:

Headbanging Leavers have no right to drive the rest of us off a cliff without a further mandate. The only mandate they sought was to spunk money on the NHS and to be unpleasant to foreigners. They need more before they can follow through on their mad project.
    If so, the Commons can revoke A50, and request agreement from the EU.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I agree - but we are where we are and if the deal falls it will be because of the DUP and the right wing of the Tory party primarily. A referendum would be legitimate and I would shed no tears if the vote was to stay in the EU.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Winston Churchill
    Perpetuating another myth there Barnesian. It is an internet meme which has no basis in fact. There is absolutely no evidence of it even existing before 2000.
    Barnesian

Right. I'm off to the pub with neighbours at 5:30pm. I'm going to try my democracy sucks shtick on them. I've rehearsed my arguments here and am forewarned with the counter arguments.
  • Options
    I don’t actively support a second referendum, but I can’t see how else there can be any clarity on where to go from here. So what is the solution? There is no mandate from the country for no deal, there seems to be no mandate in Parliament for May’s deal, there’s no mandate anywhere for a referendum or to Remain. We need a solution.

The sensible, grown-up way out would be for both sides to tear up Article 50 and begin a proper FTA negotiation while the UK remained inside the EU. That would enable proper No Deal planning and give much needed time and space. Obviously, though, that won’t happen. So what will?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If so, the Commons can revoke A50.
    It's very doubtful that they can in theory and they also have no mandate to do that either.
This discussion has been closed.