Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The DUP would be taking a big gamble defying Northern Ireland’

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Are the DUP serious ? Could they not just be bought on Vote 2 onwards ? I mean serious eye watering cash ?

On anything that makes the union weaker, the catchphrase is never x 4. They will never x 50 trust Jeremy Corbyn. Their supporters would show him even less trust.

Their backing of Brexit is the most inexplicable strategic error by any political party in my lifetime.
    Their voters want it.

The endlessly repeated 'NI voted Remain' is a generaliseation that misses the point.

SF, SDLP Alliance voted Remain. DUP and UUP voters were LEAVE.

The header article is wrong.
    The DUP exist to keep Northern Ireland in the union. Backing Brexit has imperilled that in a way no other development has for a generation. It was a ridiculous blunder.
    Only if MrsMay's 'Deal' is accepted.

NODEAL preserves the Union. And may well generate a fair bit of Us and Them with the EU given their likely behaviour. Solidarity will be useful.
    'NODEAL preserves the Union.' I cannot believe you can write such rubbish.

Not only does No Deal give the SNP their best ever chance for a Yes vote to independence it also means a hard border in Ireland hugely increasing the momentum for Irish Unity
    Yeah that will be why the DUP and Scottish Tories strongly support this deal, while Sinn Fein are vehemently against it right?

Oh wait, no you've got it 100% arse over tit. Sinn Fein love the deal and the DUP and Scottish Tories hate it - and the SNP are only pissed off they haven't got what Sinn Fein got. The backstop kills the union.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If a new Tory leader comes in on a platform of pursuing no deal (which they will have to after about 1 meeting with the EU) then i suspect a vote of confidence will be called in the HoC, and they will lose.

Yes, I expect Soubry, Grieve etc will no confidence a Tory PM installed after a coup to oust May and go for No Deal, though I think May survives anyway, her opponents do not have the numbers to no confidence her
    Grieve opposes May's plan. Moreover there are far more MPs willing to No Confidence May than there would be to No Confidence a successor that has been chosen by the party.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2018
    alex. said:

Tory MPs are also i suspect missing that the uncertainty is finally beginning to impact on ordinary people's lives. I have had conversations with people at work who are starting to discuss things like holidays next year, and how they can't plan ahead on their usual timescales, and the idea that this can go on for much longer, even theoretically right up to the wire on 31st March is for those away with the fairies. People are increasingly going to start getting very angry. God only knows what they would think of the Tories taking a couple of months out to have a leadership contest.

The message of the polls is strong - people still support May as the best option and don't want her to go.

The last Conservative leadership election took a couple of weeks, not a couple of months.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If a new Tory leader comes in on a platform of pursuing no deal (which they will have to after about 1 meeting with the EU) then i suspect a vote of confidence will be called in the HoC, and they will lose.

Yes, I expect Soubry, Grieve etc will no confidence a Tory PM installed after a coup to oust May and go for No Deal, though I think May survives anyway, her opponents do not have the numbers to no confidence her
    Grieve opposes May's plan. Moreover there are far more MPs willing to No Confidence May than there would be to No Confidence a successor that has been chosen by the party.
    I meant a formal no confidence vote in the Commons, not an internal no confidence vote in the Tory Party. Grieve may oppose May's deal, but that is because he supports Remain. I doubt he thinks May's deal is in the same league as no deal, in its economic consequences for the country.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The last Conservative leadership election coronation took a couple of weeks, not a couple of months.

Fixed
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited November 2018
    alex. said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Are the DUP serious ? Could they not just be bought on Vote 2 onwards ? I mean serious eye watering cash ?

On anything that makes the union weaker, the catchphrase is never x 4. They will never x 50 trust Jeremy Corbyn. Their supporters would show him even less trust.

Their backing of Brexit is the most inexplicable strategic error by any political party in my lifetime.
    Their voters want it.

The endlessly repeated 'NI voted Remain' is a generaliseation that misses the point.

The DUP exist to keep Northern Ireland in the union. Backing Brexit has imperilled that in a way no other development has for a generation. It was a ridiculous blunder.
    Only MrsMay 'Deal' is accepted.

NODEAL preserves the Union. And may well generate a fair bit of Us and Them with the EU given their likely behaviour. Solidarity will be useful.
    Erm in your Brexit insanity you miss the point. The DUP took a wholly avoidable risk at long odds in pursuit of a subsidiary prejudice. It’s playing out badly for them. This was entirely predictable.

Meanwhile the Northern Irish have learned just how little English nationalists care about them. Regardless of how this plays out now, the Northern Irish are going to be looking to their options in a way they never previously did.
    You clearly haven't been looking at how tight the mogg&co are with the DUP.

The 'wholly avoidable risk' has placed them as the kingmakers for probably 5y in the UK parliament. Such is 'playing out badly'

Given your condition, madness is unavoidable I suppose. Oh well

52:48
    Er, and then what happens when the "5y" are up?
    5y of NODEAL divergence will sort that out.

I should think both Leavers and Remainers can agree with that...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Geoffrey Cox putting out feelers for his leadership bid.

As is Stephen Barclay
    Stephen Barclaycard - your Brexitable Friend!
    Hahaha, if only you'd thought of that yesterday, eh? Oh...
  • Options

alex. said:

Tory MPs are also i suspect missing that the uncertainty is finally beginning to impact on ordinary people's lives. I have had conversations with people at work who are starting to discuss things like holidays next year, and how they can't plan ahead on their usual timescales, and the idea that this can go on for much longer, even theoretically right up to the wire on 31st March is for those away with the fairies. People are increasingly going to start getting very angry. God only knows what they would think of the Tories taking a couple of months out to have a leadership contest.

The message of the polls is strong - people still support May as the best option and don't want her to go.

The last Conservative leadership election took a couple of weeks, not a couple of months.
    So you expect a single overwhelming candidate to emerge, and the second stage vote bypassed? I suppose it's possible...

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Zac Goldsmith and Sir Bill Cash have submitted no confidence letters

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1063912262996508673

Appropriate to have a picture of Gove below a headline about rebellion, given his own more insidious and dishonourable rebellion.
    Gove is behaving honourably. Him resigning might well have done for May. He's showing loyalty by sticking with her and trying to improve a deal he thinks will not be supported in the Commons as it is.
    It is rather unusual for a group of cabinet ministers to campaign publicly against government policy.
    It's not government policy, it's May's policy. I doubt you've seen many members of the government supporting it in public. May says this agreement is the best we can get. The EU say they won't renegotiate. If the deal is defeated in the House both sides are looking down the barrel of no deal. In that instance I think there will be scope to renegotiate some key aspects of the deal as both sides want to avoid no deal. Gove has judged this correctly.
    They might be willing to, and he can argue it from outside Cabinet. Are you seriously telling me that the PM saying the Cabinet (as remains) backs her policy does not mean it is government policy? What is the government's policy then? How is it decided what is government policy if the PM saying her Cabinet back X does not count? Why did Raab and McVey resign if what May is saying is not government policy? They could have stayed in place because they don't need to back what the PM says.
    There is no Government policy. There never has been. There has been May's policy - or rather Olly Robbins' policy. That is the way it has been since the start of this process.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The last Conservative leadership election coronation took a couple of weeks, not a couple of months.

Fixed
    That may be true of the Howard coronation but the 2016 leadership election also took just a fortnight.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That may be true of the Howard coronation but the 2016 leadership election also took just a fortnight.

There was no vote
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

Erm in your Brexit insanity you miss the point. The DUP took a wholly avoidable risk at long odds in pursuit of a subsidiary prejudice. It’s playing out badly for them. This was entirely predictable.

Meanwhile the Northern Irish have learned just how little English nationalists care about them. Regardless of how this plays out now, the Northern Irish are going to be looking to their options in a way they never previously did.

The 'wholly avoidable risk' has placed them as the kingmakers for probably 5y in the UK parliament. Such is 'playing out badly'

You think the Northern Irish (NB not the DUP) haven’t noticed that Leavers are willing to see Northern Ireland go up in flames to secure Brexit? Irish unity has never looked closer. The DUP exist to ensure the opposite. They have walked into a strategic disaster.
    Interesting: you obviously missed Varadkar dail statement the other day.

He reiterated: The DUP has to agree for any change to NI status under the GFA.

No doubt your discovery of the 'Strategic Disaster' will change everything

Since the DUP opposed the Good Friday Agreement in the first place, the DUP unsurprisingly have no veto on any change to it. What’s the next idiocy you’re going to put forward?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

You think the Northern Irish (NB not the DUP) haven’t noticed that Leavers are willing to see Northern Ireland go up in flames to secure Brexit? Irish unity has never looked closer. The DUP exist to ensure the opposite. They have walked into a strategic disaster.

The people of NI decide.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

alex. said:

But that was because one of the final two, Leadsom, withdrew. Had she not done so it would have taken much longer.
  • Options
    Just the 62% who think a united Ireland is more likely as a result of Brexit:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/024943_99169b203a3f4a648bfa1448596005ea.xlsx?dn=BBCRTE-PollProject-FullResults.xlsx
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    There was no vote apart from the vote of MPs, you mean? It is true that the party in the country did not vote, and I expect that will be true again. Even if it is not, it is hard to see why sending and receiving postal ballots would add six weeks to the contest. Six days, maybe.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

Indeed. As far as I can see, with the devolved Government suspended there is no legal reason why the UK Government couldn't call a referendum on reunification in NI if they felt there was the public desire for one in the province. The DUP could very easily make themselves utterly irrelevant in that process if they follow a course opposed by the large majority of the province.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

Indeed. As far as I can see, with the devolved Government suspended there is no legal reason why the UK Government couldn't call a referendum on reunification in NI if they felt there was the public desire for one in the province. The DUP could very easily make themselves utterly irrelevant in that process if they follow a course opposed by the large majority of the province.
    Struggling to see how the government survives that vote being called on the present mathematics though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    There was no vote apart from the vote of MPs, you mean? It is true that the party in the country did not vote, and I expect that will be true again. Even if it is not, it is hard to see why sending and receiving postal ballots would add six weeks to the contest. Six days, maybe.
    The scheduled close of the 2016 Election was 9th September. Leadsom withdrew on 11th July.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

Struggling to see how the government survives that vote being called on the present mathematics though.
    Oh yes, I wasn't implying they would be clever to do so. Certainly not at the moment. Just that there is no DUP veto on it legally. Shiney2 seemed to be claiming they had some sort of veto over the process.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

With or without devolved government, there’s an obligation on the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland to call a referendum if he or she considers it likely that one would pass.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

With or without devolved government, there’s an obligation on the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland to call a referendum if he or she considers it likely that one would pass.
    Do the Republic get a say? What if they don't want them?
  • Options

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------
    Quite. I guess their majority party will have influence, possibly decisively.

I was simplifying for young meeks
  • Options
    alex. said:

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

Do the Republic get a say? What if they don't want them?
    Presumably the attitude of the Republic gets factored into the Northern Irish public’s view.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

The people of NI decide.

I wasn't aware of that. Cheers. That just reinforces the point.

Personally I think reunification is inevitable and welcome once the people of NI are ready for it. And of course I feel the same way about an Independent Scotland.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

Which majority party would that be?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

Varadkar actually said the draft withdrawal agreement "states in black and white" that Ireland and the EU fully respect the constitutional status of Northern Ireland as part of the UK.

"This can only change if the majority of people in Northern Ireland want it to," he said.

In which he is correct; the DUP have no veto.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1114/1010778-government-brexit/
  • Options
    @alastairm

shiney2 said:
    » show previous quotes

Since the DUP opposed the Good Friday Agreement in the first place, the DUP unsurprisingly have no veto on any change to it. What’s the next idiocy you’re going to put forward?

---------------

I was going to suggest you confirm your view with your subordinate Mr Varadkar.

• Options
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    The scheduled close of the 2016 Election was 9th September. Leadsom withdrew on 11th July.
    Yes but that was because the 1922 had a fairly relaxed timetable over the summer parliamentary recess. The MP voting stage took two weeks, which could easily be condensed. Even if the party in the country were to be consulted, and I doubt it will be, there is no need for that part to take more than a week.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI
  • Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Yes but that was because the 1922 had a fairly relaxed timetable over the summer parliamentary recess. The MP voting stage took two weeks, which could easily be condensed. Even if the party in the country were to be consulted, and I doubt it will be, there is no need for that part to take more than a week.
    Why do you doubt the party in the country would be consulted?
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI
    There is no majority party in Northern Ireland. In the more proportional assembly election, the largest party commands just over a quarter of the vote.

But like all Brexiteers, facts are just an inconvenient impediment to the desired argument for you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    A week? Given that the members are consulted by post? Both ways? Just before Christmas?
    With no time for hustings and debate about the most serious PM selection since 1940?
    Seems optimistic.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

To be fair Gove has actually been doing his job well, instead of spending all his time maneuvering like some.

Just doing what Sarah Vine tells him to do! Those curtains in her cupboard are ready and waiting to be hung in No. 10....
  • Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Ignoring the fact that giving people a week at short notice would make (even more of) a farce of the whole election process (and effectively disenfranchise large numbers of members who just weren't available in the tiny window you've given them to vote), have you remembered to potentially factor in the Christmas post to this absurd timetable?
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI
    There is no majority party in Northern Ireland. In the more proportional assembly election, the largest party commands just over a quarter of the vote.

But like all Brexiteers, facts are just an inconvenient impediment to the desired argument for you.
    Suspect you're wasting your breath (well, keystrokes) Alastair.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

The majority party representing NI in the UK parliament is the DUP.

Ability to count up to 10 will suffice.

• Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Because the party is in government, at a time of some political moment when it is important to establish a new Prime Minister as quickly as possible, so unless the MPs vote was neck-and-neck, the runner-up would likely stand down (as happened last time).
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

52:48 37:36
    Must be hard to see your Brexit slipping away Shiney :wink:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Today's polls JIPM
  • Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Because the party is in government, at a time of some political moment when it is important to establish a new Prime Minister as quickly as possible, so unless the MPs vote was neck-and-neck, the runner-up would likely stand down (as happened last time).
    In which case another Remainer will become the next PM.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
  • Options
    edited November 2018

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

The chances of one person having over 50% of the Parliamentary party backing them are not high in current circumstances.

Javid comes first (130 votes), Boris comes second (100 votes), Hunt comes third (70 votes).

Boris stands down? You think?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    No Deal No Chance
  • Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    As quickly as possible. Or as thoroughly, carefully, openly and democratically, within the Conservative Party as possible?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Scott_P said:
    If UKIP's leadership is still a shambles, I wonder if we'll see Farage having another go with a new party. But it's possible that they'd do quite well (if they can afford to put candidates up) merely by being a protest party on the dominant issue of the day.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Ignoring the fact that giving people a week at short notice would make (even more of) a farce of the whole election process (and effectively disenfranchise large numbers of members who just weren't available in the tiny window you've given them to vote), have you remembered to potentially factor in the Christmas post to this absurd timetable?
    Some people will be on holiday, yes. Oh dear; what a shame; never mind. Give the members a fortnight if you must by holding more than two ballots of MPs a week.

Last time the whole procedure took a fortnight. It took a week in 2003, when again the matter was not put to the membership. To pretend two months is needed is absurd.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    As quickly as possible. Or as thoroughly, carefully, openly and democratically, within the Conservative Party as possible?
    Having a leadership election at this time will baffle many across the country and look particularly self-indulgent.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Two of the last three elections did not go to the membership at all (Howard and May).
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    No Deal No Chance
    We'll see. The thing about defaults is they happen when agreement isn't reached ..
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Some people will be on holiday, yes. Oh dear; what a shame; never mind. Give the members a fortnight if you must by holding more than two ballots of MPs a week.

Last time the whole procedure took a fortnight. It took a week in 2003, when again the matter was not put to the membership. To pretend two months is needed is absurd.
    Frankly a month would make people angry enough.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    Having a leadership election at this time will baffle many across the country and look particularly self-indulgent.
    Brexit has already baffled the country. A leadership election will not add greatly, or at all, to its befuddlement.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Scott_P said:
    OK! See the figures, but how many Conservative voters will actually turn up to put a cross on the ballot paper with TMay in charge. Or BlowJob, JRM or anyone else in the running. Too many have been tarred with the TMay brush to be considered "clean"
  • Options

As is Stephen Barclay
    Stephen Barclaycard - your Brexitable Friend!
    Hahaha, if only you'd thought of that yesterday, eh? Oh...
    Just in case you missed it, Ben :)
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

The only people angered would be Theresa May's supporters who pretend it will take months to replace her even though it took just two weeks to install her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Broken, sleazy, DIVIDED Tories on the slide :lol:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
  • Options

As is Stephen Barclay
    Two Cambridge-educated lawyers: quite a dilemma for TSE.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

The only people angered would be Theresa May's supporters who pretend it will take months to replace her even though it took just two weeks to install her.
    It's got nothing to do with "May's supporters". The point is that the public are going to get increasingly angry about the fact that they are completely in the dark about what is happening post March next year, and the prospect of the Tories self indulgently seeking to increase the delay to resolving that uncertainty by a month (+the time after that when a new leader sets out to 'reset' the negotiations and start again) out of the 4 in total that remain is not going to improve their mood on this point.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Scott_P said:
    If UKIP's leadership is still a shambles, I wonder if we'll see Farage having another go with a new party. But it's possible that they'd do quite well (if they can afford to put candidates up) merely by being a protest party on the dominant issue of the day.
    Farage will see his credibility fall a large degree in time
  • Options
    Zac goldsmith is calling for May to go now.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

It's got nothing to do with "May's supporters". The point is that the public are going to get increasingly angry about the fact that they are completely in the dark about what is happening post March next year, and the prospect of the Tories self indulgently seeking to increase the delay to resolving that uncertainty by a month (+the time after that when a new leader sets out to 'reset' the negotiations and start again) out of the 4 in total that remain is not going to improve their mood on this point.
    Yes, which is why it will not take a month. That's where I came in.
  • Options

Zac goldsmith is calling for May to go now.

Wonder if he'll get as much as 25% of the vote in Richmond next time around?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

It's got nothing to do with "May's supporters". .
    Coronation is not easy when there is no consensus on who should take over. What is sauce for the Leaver is poison to the pragmatist. The chance of the second placed deferring to the first is slim for this reason.

If consensus was easy, we would have had agreement on Brexit. We clearly do not.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

Well you've already got it taking 3 weeks (Christmas post being ignored) with a sham election where no individual has got time to be truly scrutinised, or shorter if, inconceivably the parliamentary party that is split at least three ways, manages to agree overwhelmingly on a single individual and, presumably a Brexiteer, because i can't see a Brexiteer dropping out if a remainer comes first given that they will expect to win with the membership...
  • Options
    Huge difference between the typical reader and the BTL commentariat. Quite how worked up the typical Mail reader is about Brexit I'm not sure, but one third of Mail voters voted Remain after everything the Mail told them, and judging from that one presumes a good chunk of the Leave voters were weak or soft Leave. I would not be swayed by the argument that secular trends in decreasing dead-tree readership represent Disgusted of Brexbridge Wells using their wallet to express their view on the paper's editorial line.

(The Sun and Express still only had 70% Leave, and the Torygraph a surprisingly balanced 55%, which makes their headbanger position on Brexit look somewhat out of touch with their readership.)
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote

As would a stitchup. Especially if it were a Remainer. May 2.0.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Well you've already got it taking 3 weeks (Christmas post being ignored) with a sham election where no individual has got time to be truly scrutinised, or shorter if, inconceivably the parliamentary party that is split at least three ways, manages to agree overwhelmingly on a single individual and, presumably a Brexiteer, because i can't see a Brexiteer dropping out if a remainer comes first given that they will expect to win with the membership...

(Internal quotes deleted to meet Vanilla's ludicrous length restrictions.)

Two of the last three elections did not go to the membership. They took one and two weeks respectively, and that is with the leisurely pace of two MPs' ballots a week. A ballot of members could take a week, or certainly two, but I doubt they'd be consulted anyway. And, although this is really a separate point, since hardline Brexiteers can't conjure up 48 letters to force a vote of no confidence, it is reasonable to doubt they'll get one of their number into the final two.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    People have said that for months and in the meantime time has ticked away and we're no closer to an 'acceptable' deal.

We need a new leader who has the authority to go to the EU and say some home truths and mean it. That leader needs electing. The sooner that happens, the more time they have to reach an acceptable 11th hour deal.
  • Options
    Incidentally its hardly a ringing endorsement for May that the best line that can be used against ousting her is 'there isn't time' and not 'she's doing a good job'.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    edited November 2018

We need a new leader who has the authority to go to the EU and say some home truths and mean it.

"We send a plurality of our exports to you and if we don't get a deal things are going to go badly wrong. My colleagues are dumb as fuck or actively malevolent and we're running out of time. Heeeelp?"

Hometruth enough?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

We need a new leader who has the authority to go to the EU and say some home truths and mean it.

"We send a plurality of our exports to you and if we don't get a deal things are going to go badly wrong. My colleagues are dumb as fuck or actively malevolent and we're running out of time. Heeeelp?"

Hometruth enough?
    :)
  • Options
    Quick check. Things have gone a bit wrong my end and I need to know whether a leadership challenge will happen on Monday. Anybody know if the rebels are talking bollocks or are a real threat? They're a bit gutless but if you stack shit high enough it eventually stinks, so it's nontrivial.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    People have said that for months and in the meantime time has ticked away and we're no closer to an 'acceptable' deal.

We need a new leader who has the authority to go to the EU and say some home truths and mean it. That leader needs electing. The sooner that happens, the more time they have to reach an acceptable 11th hour deal.
    The only home truths being told would be by the EU with a 'sod off' it is the agreed deal or no deal and if no deal it will hurt you more than it hurts us
  • Options

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

There was no vote
    The MP voting stage can only be condensed if the rules are changed. The rules stipulate two votes a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the candidate gaining fewest votes knocked out after each round until there are only two candidates left. So, unless some candidates drop out voluntarily, how long it takes depends on how many candidates are nominated.

There is then a ballot of members, the rules for which are set by the party board in consultation with the executive committee of the 1922 Committee. If it goes to the members it is unrealistic to expect that ballot to take place in 1 or 2 weeks.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    No Deal leads to economic disaster and the potential breakup of the UK
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

Care to furnish some proof?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

Not only does No Deal give the SNP their best ever chance for a Yes vote to independence it also means a hard border in Ireland hugely increasing the momentum for Irish Unity
    Yeah that will be why the DUP and Scottish Tories strongly support this deal, while Sinn Fein are vehemently against it right?

Oh wait, no you've got it 100% arse over tit. Sinn Fein love the deal and the DUP and Scottish Tories hate it - and the SNP are only pissed off they haven't got what Sinn Fein got. The backstop kills the union.
    The DUP are totally oblivious it seems to the fact Northern Ireland voted Remain, Sinn Fein do not back May's Deal, they want to reverse Brexit but they would think Christmas had come early with No Deal.

The only polls which have Yes in front in Scotland are with No Deal. You have no clue clearly on the Union
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

Um, how could sunspots break up the UK? Did you mean solar flares?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Grieve wants Remain, as I said he would no confidence a No Deal backing PM without EUref2.

The majority of Tory MPs prefer May's Deal to No Deal despite what the noisy fanatics may say
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

The DUP are totally oblivious it seems to the fact Northern Ireland voted Remain, Sinn Fein do not back May's Deal, they want to reverse Brexit but they would think Christmas had come early with No Deal.

The only polls which have Yes in front in Scotland are with No Deal. You have no clue clearly on the Union
    No I do have a clue about the Union which is why I pay more attention to Unionists than meaningless hypothetical polls. I couldn't care less if a poll thought magical unicorns backed Remaining it is irrelevant what the polls say.
  • Options
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/no-deal-brexit-pushes-scots-to-break-from-the-uk-shows-poll-5kkpfb2dv
    http://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2018/10/stupefying-survation-survey-suggests.html

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-northern-ireland-voters-will-back-united-ireland-after-brexit-37275256.html

https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/society/18587/little-public-support-in-northern-ireland-for-a-no-deal-outcome-on-brexit

Even only 44% of NI Unionists back a No Deal Brexit

Fanatics like you though could not I presume care less
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Their voters want it.

No I do have a clue about the Union which is why I pay more attention to Unionists than meaningless hypothetical polls. I couldn't care less if a poll thought magical unicorns backed Remaining it is irrelevant what the polls say.
    No clearly you do not nor do you care less about it which is why you are determined to force a No Deal Brexit on Scotland and a hard border on Northern Ireland against their will
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No clearly you do not nor do you care less about it which is why you are determined to force a No Deal Brexit on Scotland and a hard border on Northern Ireland against their will
    The only hard border Northern Ireland is at risk at currently is the one down the Irish Sea that Sinn Fein are salivating over: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-46219457/brexit-sinn-fin-and-sdlp-welcome-draft-withdrawal-deal

Some odd unionist you are when you're on the same side as Sinn Fein and the SDLP but against the DUP and Scottish Tories.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/no-deal-brexit-pushes-scots-to-break-from-the-uk-shows-poll-5kkpfb2dv
    http://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2018/10/stupefying-survation-survey-suggests.html

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-northern-ireland-voters-will-back-united-ireland-after-brexit-37275256.html

https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/society/18587/little-public-support-in-northern-ireland-for-a-no-deal-outcome-on-brexit

He said proof not polls. Forget proof have you got any evidence, not looking at polls which are garbage.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

Selective polling is not proof, except of paucity of argument.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDdc0-JD8Dk
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Selective polling is not proof, except paucity of argument.

Precisely.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

Show me contrary polling then if you are so confidence Scots and the people of Northern Ireland are full of enthusiasm for a No Deal Brexit?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

viewcode said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDdc0-JD8Dk
    Sunil, if it has Nicolas Cage in it then it isn't real.

Pause.

Possibly including this reality, which let's face it is increasingly improbable.

Thinks for a moment.

Looks up.

"Computer, end simulation"

Damn
  • Options
    They welcome the avoidance of a hard border but would still prefer Remain, if you insist on a hard border you will be paving the way for a United Ireland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

@Yokel

The people of NI decide.

--------------------

NI

NODEAL is IDEAL

Its the law..
    So could sun spots.

Show me contrary polling then if you are so confidence Scots and the people of Northern Ireland are full of enthusiasm for a No Deal Brexit?
    What part of polling is meaningless are you struggling with?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

The only hard border Northern Ireland is at risk at currently is the one down the Irish Sea that Sinn Fein are salivating over: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-46219457/brexit-sinn-fin-and-sdlp-welcome-draft-withdrawal-deal

Some odd unionist you are when you're on the same side as Sinn Fein and the SDLP but against the DUP and Scottish Tories.

The whole UK will be in the Customs Union, it was by agreeing that May avoided a border in the Irish Sea.

I am a Unionist because I want to preserve a Union which relies on consent, you are clearly moving towards enforcing a Union reliant on a hard border in Ireland and riot police, the army and the gun
  • Options
    HYUFD is an Irish Nationalist ? Well , I'll go to 't foot of our stairs .
This discussion has been closed.