Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After Tuesday Trump surely has less than a 69% chance of being

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    Jonathan said:

So Corbyn becomes PM and does well. What next?

Revolution, comrade!
  • Options

If May goes, she will be replaced by a ERGer who seeks to delay A50 to attempt negotiation of Canada or perhaps even Norway (disguised as Canada).

May’s only way out is to “be forced” into a referendum situation.

It is possible but not certain an ERG supporter would win through.

It is interesting she has not rejected the no deal proposition put forward by her cabinet and neither has Hammond.

The road block to the second referendum is Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's refusal to endorse labour backing it thereby giving TM cover
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Could Boris and Mogg stand as Conservatives with Mays manifesto?

They would issue promises committing to a hard Brexit much as many Tories issued personal manifestoes ruling out the Euro in 1997 even as Major promised to 'wait and see'
    Mmm. And that turned out well.
    Corbyn is no Blair though, most likely Corbyn becomes PM without a majority
    Maybe. However, in such a scenario, the Tories would descend into open warfare. A giveaway Budget, promise of PR or a Second Referendum, and 6 months later JC would fancy his chances of a majority.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pigs and flying comes to mind
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A GE is not entirely within Mays power. Her MPs could refuse.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

May is not a tough act to follow. Seriously, he could do well. If he does, then the fun really starts.
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Being alleged that Brady is suppressing that he has enough letters to call a VONC in May.

Oh dear...

Link...
    Sunday Times. It’s mentioned in the story on the front page in the tweet below.
    To be honest if I was TM I would say I have done my best but others think they can do better so I am standing down and let them get on with it

No matter who takes over the maths does not change
    We don't really have time for a Coservative leadership election though do we?
    We don't really have time not to have one either. We could have had multiple leadership contests already in the time May has wasted since people started saying we don't have time.
    You have five months. Can the party unseat May and negotiate an entirely new deal in that time that has to be signed off by the UK Parliament, the European Council (and IIRC European Parliament)? I'll be honest: I don't think it can
    Yes.
    Can it? What's changing on the EU side?
    Nothing with May in charge because they know she's weak, incompetent and will surrender. We need a Churchill to take over.
    Even Churchill would not have changed the overwhelming number of mps who want to remain and in numbers leave ERG impotent
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848

RobD said:

Nothing with May in charge because they know she's weak, incompetent and will surrender. We need a Churchill to take over.

There isn't one. And I don't think it matters who is on the other end, their position won't change all that much.
    Then we prepare for no deal. If abject surrender is what we want then May should stay, if it isn't acceptable then we need someone prepared to take the fight to Europe and not back down.
    I keep on pointing this out but nobody is listening. We are asking them for a deal.
  • Options

RobD said:

There isn't one. And I don't think it matters who is on the other end, their position won't change all that much.
    Then we prepare for no deal. If abject surrender is what we want then May should stay, if it isn't acceptable then we need someone prepared to take the fight to Europe and not back down.
    You do know no deal is a minority view
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    HYUFD said:

So close to what May is proposing now except a permanent rather than temporary Customs Union.

So if Corbyn does scrape together enough seats to become PM Labour would then be squeezed between a Tory opposition going on a full, hard Brexit platform freed from the constraints of government and the LDs and SNP and Labour Remainer backbenchers demanding EUref2 or at least permanent single market membership as well

Yes, but also a reasonably coherent programme which is Not About Brexit. There's a real market for a government that isn't totally obsessed - loads of people have different issues that they care about more, from policing to housing to health to transport, which they see currently neglected as the Conservative Party goes round in circles. For instance, what is Conservative education policy these days? I genuinely have no idea, and doubt if most parents and teachers do either.

And remember, Corbyn actually doesn't care that much either way. I can perfectly well see him signing up for something akin to single market membership after all. Carries out Brexit as promised, but with minimal damage. Box ticked, on to the interesting stuff like ending austerity.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Jonathan said:

A GE is not entirely within Mays power. Her MPs could refuse.

Agreed, if she goes down the same 2/3 majority route as last time. I guess she could call a VONC in her own government and round up enough loyalists to vote with the entire opposition to depose her. The optics of this all would be, um challenging, though.
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Being alleged that Brady is suppressing that he has enough letters to call a VONC in May.

Oh dear...

Link...
    To be honest if I was TM I would say I have done my best but others think they can do better so I am standing down and let them get on with it

We don't really have time not to have one either. We could have had multiple leadership contests already in the time May has wasted since people started saying we don't have time.
    You have five months. Can the party unseat May and negotiate an entirely new deal in that time that has to be signed off by the UK Parliament, the European Council (and IIRC European Parliament)? I'll be honest: I don't think it can
    Yes.
    Even Churchill would not have changed the overwhelming number of mps who want to remain and in numbers leave ERG impotent
    Nature abhors a vacuum and May has provided such little leadership that her policy has been to just take the path of least resistance then surrender to those who object the most.

A real leader that comes out with a positive proposal could change the dynamics completely.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So close to what May is proposing now except a permanent rather than temporary Customs Union.

So if Corbyn does scrape together enough seats to become PM Labour would then be squeezed between a Tory opposition going on a full, hard Brexit platform freed from the constraints of government and the LDs and SNP and Labour Remainer backbenchers demanding EUref2 or at least permanent single market membership as well

Yes, but also a reasonably coherent programme which is Not About Brexit. There's a real market for a government that isn't totally obsessed - loads of people have different issues that they care about more, from policing to housing to health to transport, which they see currently neglected as the Conservative Party goes round in circles. For instance, what is Conservative education policy these days? I genuinely have no idea, and doubt if most parents and teachers do either.

And remember, Corbyn actually doesn't care that much either way. I can perfectly well see him signing up for something akin to single market membership after all. Carries out Brexit as promised, but with minimal damage. Box ticked, on to the interesting stuff like ending austerity.
    Nick - you are a true disciple of Corbyn
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

I keep on pointing this out but nobody is listening. We are asking them for a deal.
    Not at any price though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

May is not a tough act to follow. Seriously, he could do well. If he does, then the fun really starts.
    The competent government bar has been lowered somewhat lately.
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.
    Nature abhors a vacuum and May has provided such little leadership that her policy has been to just take the path of least resistance then surrender to those who object the most.

A real leader that comes out with a positive proposal could change the dynamics completely.
    Not from ERG
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.
    Which would still require agreement to a backstop for NI
  • Options

RobD said:

Every view on Brexit is a minority view. That’s the problem.
  • Options

RobD said:

Indeed its not my view. My view is a good deal is better than no deal. But there's no good deal being made available.

Whether its a minority view or not is moot since its also inevitable without an actual deal.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.
    A "what would Jesus do?” type question. Churchill would put more effort into getting his domestic ducks in a row so he can sell the inevitable compromise.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Every view on Brexit is a minority view. That’s the problem.
    Are you saying remain is a minority view among mps
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

If May goes, she will be replaced by a ERGer who seeks to delay A50 to attempt negotiation of Canada or perhaps even Norway (disguised as Canada).

It is interesting she has not rejected the no deal proposition put forward by her cabinet and neither has Hammond.

The road block to the second referendum is Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott's refusal to endorse labour backing it thereby giving TM cover
    She doesn’t need Corbyn and McDonnell.
    She just needs the Tory Remainers and enough Labour rebels to vote for her deal in exchange for a ref.

A ref may even bring the LDs on board.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

Maybe but taking any economic hit from Brexit with the Tories under a more charismatic leader rallying Leavers on a hard Brexit platform
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.

Not from ERG
    From any wing. ERG, reversal of Brexit or anyone else inbetween could change the dynamics from the worst leader of my lifetime. May is even worse than Gordon Brown.
  • Options

She just needs the Tory Remainers and enough Labour rebels to vote for her deal in exchange for a ref.

If they vote for the deal why a referendum
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

RobD said:

Compared with MrsMay's 'deal' it seems rather popular, particularly with tory mps..
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

They would issue promises committing to a hard Brexit much as many Tories issued personal manifestoes ruling out the Euro in 1997 even as Major promised to 'wait and see'
    Maybe. However, in such a scenario, the Tories would descend into open warfare. A giveaway Budget, promise of PR or a Second Referendum, and 6 months later JC would fancy his chances of a majority.
    Once May goes the Tories would elect a proper Leaver and it would be Labour with the Brexit divisions
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.
    A "what would Jesus do?” type question. Churchill would put more effort into getting his domestic ducks in a row so he can sell the inevitable compromise.
    By compromise do you mean abject surrender because otherwise we might face a little difficult in our 'darkest hour' (as an EU spokesman in the Guardian was quoted as referring to Brexit as)?
  • Options

As a labour supporter who wants to remain why are you not attacking Corbyn and McDonnell for complicity with leave
  • Options
    Anyways. Thanks for a really interesting poetry and books discussion earlier. I had actually forgotten all about Sir Hall Caine. And sorry for posting fake news. It is why I do not do Twitter.
    And the Tories would be insane to call an election. Which means we may have one.
    But, more importantly, be kind. To others and yourself.
    Good night.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

RobD said:

Compared with MrsMay's 'deal' it seems rather popular, particularly with tory mps..
    According to ERG tonight only 80 are against the deal
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018

shiney2 said:

RobD said:

According to ERG tonight only 80 are against the deal
    What deal? There is no deal.

The EU haven't agreed one, May has no deal.

Oh and are you including Jo Johnson, Justine Greening etc who are against it as being within the ERG's 80?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    dixiedean said:

Anyways. Thanks for a really interesting poetry and books discussion earlier. I had actually forgotten all about Sir Hall Caine. And sorry for posting fake news. It is why I do not do Twitter.
    And the Tories would be insane to call an election. Which means we may have one.
    Good night.

To be honest there is some merit in having a Corbyn minority government forced to deal with getting a Brexit deal than a Tory government dealing with No Deal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Good night.

Well said Dixie

And I join you in wishing everyone a good nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.

Not from ERG
    From any wing. ERG, reversal of Brexit or anyone else inbetween could change the dynamics from the worst leader of my lifetime. May is even worse than Gordon Brown.
    May is trying to get a Deal to satisfy Tory backbenchers, the DUP and the EU.

Almost impossible
  • Options
    Vince Cable's staffer is investigated over claims he tried to sleep with female colleague by 'taking her to dinner to discuss Brexit'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6375703/Vince-Cables-aide-investigated-claims-tried-sleep-female-colleague.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.

Not from ERG

Almost impossible
    Actually it is impossible. She's going to have to choose.
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Not at any price though.
    If the decision was down to May I am sure that it would be at any price. She doesn't care what is in the deal so long as she gets something she can sign. Thankfully it isn't just down to her.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

As a labour supporter who wants to remain why are you not attacking Corbyn and McDonnell for complicity with leave
    I have never been a labour supporter, and I detest Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.

Not from ERG

Almost impossible
    Which is the problem, she's acting as an arbiter and not a leader. And there is no arbitration between all those sides.

We need a leader who is prepared to disappoint someone and say "this is what the UK is doing" and then get on with it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Ah so close (not). Bellew was shading it right up until he got knocked out!

• Options

I have never been a labour supporter, and I detest Corbyn.
    I am sorry. I though you were but thinking is not knowing. Apologies
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    TOPPING said:

Ah so close (not). Bellew was shading it right up until he got knocked out!

It was a good tear up early on, but Usyk was well on top by the end. Not only is he an exceptional boxer, he is also massive for 14st.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Well quite.

The recantation&selfcriticism interviews with Chucka and Leslie etc will be fascinating.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Once May goes the Tories would elect a proper Leaver and it would be Labour with the Brexit divisions
    Greening, Grieve, Soubry, Jo Johnson, etc, etc.? The vast majority of Tory MPs voted Remain. Unless you propose a thorough purge of MPs, and, by extension, members and voters.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Greening, Grieve, Soubry, Jo Johnson, etc, etc.? The vast majority of Tory MPs voted Remain. Unless you propose a thorough purge of MPs, and, by extension, members and voters.
    They'll be an awkward squad just as all parties have always had an awkward squad.

But the difference is that they can't actually stop the clock without voting down their own government. The die is cast.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    RoyalBlue said:

Theresa May thinks she’d get to call a GE on her turd of a deal?

Hilarious. There’d be 200 letters in Mr Brady’s postbox.

There might already be.....
  • Options
    A new levy targeted at the over-40s is being considered by ministers to help solve the social care funding crisis.

Matt Hancock, the Health and Social Care Secretary, told the Telegraph he was “attracted to” a cross-party plan for a compulsory premium deducted from the earnings of the ­middle-aged and over-65s to fund the cost of their care in later life.

The proposals, set out by two Commons committees, are based on the system in Germany under which all workers over 40 pay 2.5 per cent of their wages into a pot formally earmarked for social care.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/10/health-minister-ponders-tax-age-pay-social-care/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

rpjs said:

Oh dear...

Link...

Yes.

Not from ERG
    From any wing. ERG, reversal of Brexit or anyonee than Gordon Brown.

Almost impossible
    Which is the problem, she's acting as an arbiter and not a leader. And there is no arbitration between all those sides.

We need a leader who is prepared to disappoint someone and say "this is what the UK is doing" and then get on with it.
    Which may require a spell in opposition then, let Corbyn be lumbered with dealmaking if Tory MPs are not prepared to get behind May
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

120 voted Leave which is more than enough to get a Leaver in the ballot to the members, even Leadsom got to the final two in 2016
  • Options

A new levy targeted at the over-40s is being considered by ministers to help solve the social care funding crisis.

Matt Hancock, the Health and Social Care Secretary, told the Telegraph he was “attracted to” a cross-party plan for a compulsory premium deducted from the earnings of the ­middle-aged and over-65s to fund the cost of their care in later life.

The proposals, set out by two Commons committees, are based on the system in Germany under which all workers over 40 pay 2.5 per cent of their wages into a pot formally earmarked for social care.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/10/health-minister-ponders-tax-age-pay-social-care/

Sounds sensible
  • Options

Vince Cable's staffer is investigated over claims he tried to sleep with female colleague by 'taking her to dinner to discuss Brexit'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6375703/Vince-Cables-aide-investigated-claims-tried-sleep-female-colleague.html

I think "Brexit positioning" is the new "Ugandan discussions".

"How many LibDem Brexit positions are there? I can only think of 69....."
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

If Florida election officials are involved in counting, extremely possible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    Except, start it at 25 for those who smoke, drink or eat pies......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

120 voted Leave which is more than enough to get a Leaver in the ballot to the members, even Leadsom got to the final two in 2016
    But who? Does Raab's political hinterland now extend much further inland than Dover?

• Options

Probably BS, but...Brenda should be notified.

https://twitter.com/oflynnmep/status/1061226840260599811?s=21

FTPA requires 66% of MPs to vote Aye.

How many Tory MPs will vote for this in the sure knowledge of Theresa's vote winning skills??

MrsMay herself, and....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

RoyalBlue said:

She would probably win, then what?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Needless complexity. Just take away the age restriction for paying national insurance.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    Why tax those public spirited citizens that expire before dementia catches up with them?
  • Options

Farron might approve of missionary...just don't mention Thorpe and doggy...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    Why tax those public spirited citizens that expire before dementia catches up with them?
    To make sure you get the money off them before they die of course!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RoyalBlue said:

She would probably win, then what?
    I've said before and I will say again - as soon as the starting pistol gets fired, May is toast.

Hunt and/or Javid are key.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011
  • Options

MrsMay should put it in her next manifesto.

Bound to have an effect on potential Tory voters..
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farron might approve of missionary...just don't mention Thorpe and doggy...
    There's so much uncertainty around Brexit positioning, that today's cow-girl could easily become tomorrow's reverse cow-girl.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    shiney2 said:

How many Tory MPs will vote for this in the sure knowledge of Theresa's vote winning skills??

MrsMay herself, and....
    I think the letters get sent in before a GE
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    To make sure you get the money off them before they die of course!
    A new Dementia Tax? What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Calm down everybody.

It is that professional shithead Andrew Bridgen who is accusing Sir Graham Brady of surpressing a VONC.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    So any graduates under 40 will have NI, student loan and this levy to pay whilst people over 65 who didn't need to a degree to get whatever job back in the day are still dodging NI ?
    The govt can fuck off on this one.

Anyone born in the early 80s or later is going to be paying plenty of NI after 65 too. Take that to the bank
  • Options

Calm down everybody.

It is that professional shithead Andrew Bridgen who is accusing Sir Graham Brady of surpressing a VONC.

Bridgen's probably sent in 48 letters himself so can't understand why Brady hasn't got 48.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

But who? Does Raab's political hinterland now extend much further inland than Dover?

Boris but only in opposition if May loses on a manifesto commitment to her deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible
    So any graduates under 40 will have NI, student loan and this levy to pay whilst people over 65 who didn't need to a degree to get whatever job back in the day are still dodging NI ?

Anyone born in the early 80s or later is going to be paying plenty of NI after 65 too. Take that to the bank
    This new levy would apply only to over 40s presumably to 65s, though I would extend it to over 65s too
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    May loyalists and the Opposition parties
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

No add in the Opposition parties plus the Cabinet, plus Remainers on the backbenches who prefer a general election to No Deal and you get over 60%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

No add in the Opposition parties plus the Cabinet, plus Remainers on the backbenchers who prefer a general election to No Deal and you get over 60%
    Like Amber Rudd (majority = rounding error) and the others with majorities<5k?

Like all the tories with BTL property empires (Hammond &dozens more) who Corbyn will asset strip?

Like all the payroll vote who gamble their sinecures on MrsMay's vote winning skills?

Well, its view..

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

This new levy would apply only to over 40s presumably to 65s, though I would extend it to over 65s too
    so all under 40s would have 25+ years of it to look forward to, i.e. more than those already over 40.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do better is more realistic, which is not shooting for the moon tbh.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

No add in the Opposition parties plus the Cabinet, plus Remainers on the backbenchers who prefer a general election to No Deal and you get over 60%

Like all the tories with BTL property empires (Hammond &dozens more) who Corbyn will asset strip?

Like all the payroll vote who gamble their sinecures on MrsMay's vote winning skills?

Well, its view..

</p>
    Soubry, Wollaston, Lee, Morgan etc will certainly do so, the alternative is sabotaging the government's agenda at every turn until EUref2 is granted which is the inevitable alternative if No Deal
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

so all under 40s would have 25+ years of it to look forward to, i.e. more than those already over 40.
    Yes and fine by 50 many if not most will have paid off the mortgage and tuition fees and their children will soon have left home.

Social care has to be paid for somehow and the 2017 election proved swing voters refused to see any further levy on their inheritance under any circumstances whatsoever
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>
    Soubry, Wollaston, Lee, Morgan etc will certainly do so, the alternative is sabotaging the government's agenda at every turn until EUref2 is granted which is the inevitable alternative if No Deal
    You may wish to consider just *how* EURef2 actually gains parliamentary approval, which it requires, in the absence of HMG scheduling & proposing a motion for a vote.

No motion > No Vote > No Law > No EURef2.

It ain't happening until HMG starts the process. Today both May&Corbyn specifically said they won't.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

Good isn't it. I was born in 81 btw..
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

Yes and fine by 50 many if not most will have paid off the mortgage and tuition fees and their children will soon have left home.

Social care has to be paid for somehow and the 2017 election proved swing voters refused to see any further levy on their inheritance under any circumstances whatsoever
    Paid off the mortgage by 50 ?!

Lol what planet are you on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>
    You may wish to consider just *how* EURef2 actually gains parliamentary approval, which it requires, in the absence of HMG scheduling & proposing a motion for a vote.

It ain't happening until HMG starts the process. Today both May&Corbyn specifically said they won't.

May has said she would allow Parliament to consider the way forward if No Deal.

Otherwise prepare for economic collapse and potentially the break up of the UK with Scotland voting for independence and Northern Ireland for a United Ireland and the biggest crisis this country has faced since WW2 if No Deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

55 is the average age the mortgage is paid off in the UK so not far off

https://www.yourmortgage.co.uk/news/mortgage-paid-off-next/
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

+1

+10

If the dementia tax was dumb this is practically suicidal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>

So what?

MrsMay has said a lot of things.

Today it was no new eu referendum.

History teaches her assertions have a diminishing value.

Find me one supporting a new EUref or propose a way for Parliament to make new EUref lawful.

Alternatively, stop being silly.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

Paging Brenda....

How's your popcorn supply? And when did we last have a December general election?
    Too late for that unless called by middle of next week! Realistically 17th January is probably the earliest date an election is at all likely!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2018

Although emotionally I don't like Corbyn failing to oppose this terrible government's terrible policy, I don't think the *current*, *overt* Labour position is the problem. If Labour was going to advocate a re-referendum, the best peg to hang it on would be an actual deal, because then they can blame the thing on the government's failure to deliver what the voters thought they voted for. This is more defensible than "wrong answer, try again" and also lets them continue to ride both horses and attack the government for betraying Leave voters. From a Remain perspective it's inevitable that the government will fail to deliver what the voters think they voted for because it's full of contradictions and magical thinking, but politically it won't matter why it happened, as long as it did.

The problem with Corybn from the Remain perspective is that it's not really clear that he's on our side at all. The signs are that he'd be quite happy to let the Tories drive the economy off a cliff to give him a shot at the left-wing version of Disaster Capitalism. This is important because getting to a second referendum involves some fairly delicate footwork, and if the main opposition wants to sabotage it, they probably can.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>

So what?

Find me one supporting a new EUref or propose a way for Parliament to make new EUref lawful.

Anyone who thinks No Deal will lead to anything but economic calamity and the potential breakup of the UK is the one being silly.

Anything from.a general election to EUref2 could happen, we know backbenchers will use guerrilla tactics to block every single piece of government legislation if No Deal until they get EUref2 they see it as that serious
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

ROFL, that's for a cohort of 62 year olds. They'll have been buying in 1986 and though they started off with high interest rates, rates will have been falling g and home values rising throughout their mortgage paying lives. Today's first time buyers are around 35 ! Multiples of income much higher for homes.

And anyone who rents isnt going to have to stop paying it by 55...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kyf_100 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

+1

+10

Polling shows support for higher NI to pay for the NHS and social care additional funds, polling shows clear opposition to the dementia tax and any new inheritance tax to pay for social care
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

ROFL, that's for a cohort of 62 year olds. They'll have been buying in 1986 and though they started off with high interest rates, rates will have been falling g and home values rising throughout their mortgage paying lives. Today's first time buyers are around 35 ! Multiples of income much higher for homes.

And anyone who rents isnt going to have to stop paying it by 55...
    A majority still own and certainly by their 40s as you say and even if they have to pay for a few more years monthly mortgage payments are lower than rental payments
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Needless complexity. Just take away the age restriction for paying national insurance.
    +1
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

+1

+10

No polling shows support for higher NI to pay for the NHS and social care additional funds, polling shows clear opposition to the dementia tax and any new inheritance tax to pay for social care
    I remember the Tory Party when it was in favour of less tax. Have you considered joining New Labour?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>

So what?

Anyway one who things No Deal will lead to anything but economic calamity and the potential breakup of the UK is the one being silly.

Anything from.a general election to EUref2 could happen, we know backbenchers will use guerrilla tactics to block every single piece of government legislation if No Deal until they get EUref2 they see it as that serious
    So, you think its bad, and therefore won't be allowed to happen by other people you assume also think its bad.

I have news for you: shit happens and, quite often, other people call it sunshine.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds sensible

+1

+10

No polling shows support for higher NI to pay for the NHS and social care additional funds, polling shows clear opposition to the dementia tax and any new inheritance tax to pay for social care
    I remember the Tory Party when it was in favour of less tax. Have you considered joining New Labour?
    I am in favour of less tax, I am vehemently opposed to higher inheritance tax or a dementia tax.

National Insurance though is not called a tax for a reason, it was originally set up as an insurance to fund health and welfare needs etc and should return to that purpose to fund more funds for the NHS and social care
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

HYUFD said:

shiney2 said:

MrsMay herself, and....
    Well that's 49%.

Well, its view..

</p>

So what?

Anyway one who things No Deal will lead to anything but economic calamity and ous
    So, you think its bad, and therefore won't be allowed to happen by other people you assume also think its bad.

I have news for you: shit happens and, quite often, other people call it sunshine.

There is shit and there is shit, the economy collapsing and the UK breaking up would be the biggest disaster this country has faced, potentially for centuries.

Everything else would be irrelevant bar stopping the utter calamity of No Deal
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Democrats now almost 30,000 ahead in Arizona.
This discussion has been closed.