Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB would struggle to win a snap election with 50% of GE2017 L

124»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,302

Scott_P said:
    I hope this is just Downing Street spin designed to spook some of the backbench Brexit Ultras; if it's been leaked by a Cabinet Leaver in a panic, then most likely it's genuine and we're in a serious pickle.
    I hope we don't. Running out of pickle really would be a national emergency.
  • Options

Yes, there are still strawberries in the shops - even though we were told they would run out for Wimbledon last year.

Now lets talk about the WTO - how many people think there will be no bad consequences from that because the whole Project Fear of 2016 turned out to be bollox ?

George 'Punishment Budget' Osborne really did shit the bed when it came to economic warnings didn't he.

But you ignore the wider problems in the agriculture sector, which makes your comments irrelevant.

You have an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne, did he steal your strawberries or something?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

On the subject of treason:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper
    None dare call it treason.

During the Lee statue controversies, I seriously pissed off a number of Americans by asking if they were going to remove the statues of Washington as well. After all, he was a slave holder (who didn't emancipate his slaves until he died, at that) a Virginian, a crap general (unlike Lee) and had millions of statues everywhere. I was told that this was different because he wasn't a traitor...
    BTW thanks for your recommendation of the Pollard book on the War of the Roses. It has kept my brain working while recuperating from some treatment. I even learned some new words!
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Am now wondering what new words you have learned - catatonic schizophrenia perhaps?
    “Appenage” and “enfeoffment” for two.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

During the Lee statue controversies, I seriously pissed off a number of Americans by asking if they were going to remove the statues of Washington as well. After all, he was a slave holder (who didn't emancipate his slaves until he died, at that) a Virginian, a crap general (unlike Lee) and had millions of statues everywhere. I was told that this was different because he wasn't a traitor...
    The whole confederate statues issue is hardly a rational and learned discourse among historians, to put it mildly.
    Has there ever been such a thing as rational and learned discourse among historians?
  • Options
    In more uplifting news, I've already got a new job which means six months of paid gardening leave.

Hurrah, I won't be a doley.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

In more uplifting news, I've already got a new job which means six months of paid gardening leave.

Congrats, where will you be based?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

BTW thanks for your recommendation of the Pollard book on the War of the Roses. It has kept my brain working while recuperating from some treatment. I even learned some new words!
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Am now wondering what new words you have learned - catatonic schizophrenia perhaps?
    Tail male?

(Tail female being the section on Edward IV!)
  • Options

Do they by any chance need a history teacher for another job?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

I went to vote yesterday. Lined up for almost exactly an hour. There were 16 voting machines, so once you got in to vote it didn't take long.

I was told that about 30% have voted already in my district.

I have already been a poll worker in the UK and Canada. I was meant to be a poll worker on election day here, but due to a prior commitment won't be able to. Imagine not many people have voted legally in elections in 3 countries and even fewer have been poll workers in 3 too.

Any interesting differences in how the work was done in each?
    The UK and Canada were similar, but I've not done a poll stint here yet.
  • Options

Shame, I was going to suggest a career change to teaching.

One thing I’ve always wondered about gardening leave: do they check how good your allotment is at the end of it?
  • Options

Mostly Manchester with occasional visits to London and Edinburgh, which fortunately will be day trips.

No foreign relocation.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Why is thought the police under estimate numbers? I can't see why they would be biased or are they just awful at it?

Why did they not give an estimate this time? Have they stopped doing so or was it just too big to give a sensible number?

Did they provide a number for the Iraq and Countryside march?

I suspect the Met Police wanted to avoid getting embroiled in a political row by estimating numbers so instead steered clear. The result has been to leave the field clear for estimates by the 2nd Ref organisers alone.

I stand by what I said the other day/this morning (which I see seems to have triggered a few Remainers on the previous thread) between 250-300k people, and lower than the Countryside Alliance March.

I don’t think it’s anywhere near 700,000, and 400,000 is probably the absolute ceiling.
    Thedred people in Brexit related regalia milling around. There was a steady stream of people from the station to Hyde Park that was large enough to constitute a pretty decent demonstration in its own right. About half way there was a large contingent, well over a thousand, gathering. I don't know who they were, but obviously some organisation that was going on bloc.
    for the number of participants.

So, basically, it must be 700k because you were there and you were impressed.

Ok.
    So basically, it can't be 700k because you weren't there and you would rather it wasn't.

Ok.
    Only me!

People's Vote March in 2018 = 700,000 300,000
    People who voted Leave in 2016 = 17,400,000

:lol:
    I think you meant.

People's Vote March 20.10.18 = 700,000
    Leave Means 20.10.18 = 1200
    People who voted Leave in 2016 who weren't conned by a pack of lies...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Tim_B said:

I went to vote yesterday. Lined up for almost exactly an hour. There were 16 voting machines, so once you got in to vote it didn't take long.

I was told that about 30% have voted already in my district.

I have already been a poll worker in the UK and Canada. I was meant to be a poll worker on election day here, but due to a prior commitment won't be able to. Imagine not many people have voted legally in elections in 3 countries and even fewer have been poll workers in 3 too.

Who are your Congress choices ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not yet, I'll let you know if we do.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,808
    Fenman said:

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Why is thought the police under estimate numbers? I can't see why they would be biased or are they just awful at it?

Why did they not give an estimate this time? Have they stopped doing so or was it just too big to give a sensible number?

I suspect the Met Police wanted to avoid getting embroiled in a political row by estimating numbers so instead steered clear. The result has been to leave the field clear for estimates by the 2nd Ref organisers alone.

I stand by what I said the other day/this morning (which I see seems to have triggered a few Remainers on the previous thread) between 250-300k people, and lower than the Countryside Alliance March.

I don’t think it’s anywhere near 700,000, and 400,000 is probably the absolute ceiling.
    Thedred people in Brexit related regalia milling around. There was a steady stream of people from the station to Hyde Park that was large enough to constitute a pretty decent demonstration in its own right. About half way there was a large contingent, well over a thousand, gathering. I don't know who they were, but obviously some organisation that was going on bloc.

Ok.
    So basically, it can't be 700k because you weren't there and you would rather it wasn't.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

How amazing you are able to judge how many people believed what, particularly when so many super smart people were telling them otherwise the entire time too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Worth an ask. Congratulations and I hope it goes well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

I missed that term. I did have to look up “bastard feudalism”.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

Could easily be mistaken for a reference to the Earl of Richmond...
  • Options

Shame, I was going to suggest a career change to teaching.

One thing I’ve always wondered about gardening leave: do they check how good your allotment is at the end of it?
    I did think about becoming a (history) teacher over the weekend but thought better of it.

I suffer from hayfever, so I avoid gardens.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Congratulations TSE, but does that mean more or less from you for the next 6 months? I think we should be warned....
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

It is slightly alarming to realise how much of English history was the result of various kings’ inability to keep it in their trousers...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fenman said:

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

How amazing you are able to judge how many people believed what, particularly when so many super smart people were telling them otherwise the entire time too.
    People who post on PB.com who are 100% sure their opinion is the correct one.......?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ta
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

In the shed!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Juventus unlucky to be only one.
    United lucky to be nil.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Congratulations TSE, but does that mean more or less from you for the next 6 months? I think we should be warned....
    Am going to spend the next six months doing a bit of travelling around the UK, boxset binging, and mostly spending a lot of time with the family.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ta
    It was the no Cineworlds in Germany wasn't it!!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Fenman said:

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

People who post on PB.com who are 100% sure their opinion is the correct one.......?
    I would hope it is fewer than 100%, otherwise we're fools.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    kle4 said:

Fenman said:

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

Can we have that again. In English, please.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ta
    It was the no Cineworlds in Germany wasn't it!!
    Yup, I noticed that a lot of films are released in Germany weeks after they are released in the UK.

I ain't waiting two extra weeks for Avengers 4.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

I understand the skepticism because it does sound like a huge number, and with these things there is always a tendency for the numbers to be talked up. But I really think that 700,000 is a perfectly believable size for the number of participants.

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

Given last night's extrapolation that 1,200 -> 17m Leave votes meant 700,000 -> 10 billion Remain votes, which is greater than the population of earth, it was already obvious that there could only possibly be a maximum of about 450,000 on the People's Vote march.

The maths is sound, no?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    edited October 2018

Opinions are like penises.

I try and ram mine down the throats of other people and it is wrong when a woman has one.

#NotATransphobe
  • Options

Yes, there are still strawberries in the shops - even though we were told they would run out for Wimbledon last year.

Now lets talk about the WTO - how many people think there will be no bad consequences from that because the whole Project Fear of 2016 turned out to be bollox ?

George 'Punishment Budget' Osborne really did shit the bed when it came to economic warnings didn't he.

But you ignore the wider problems in the agriculture sector, which makes your comments irrelevant.

You have an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne, did he steal your strawberries or something?
    What wider problems in the agricultural sector ?

Lets face it I've been proved right about there being no shortages of food in the shops or of farmworkers in the fields this year.

And I'm truly baffled that you think I have an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne. For you he might have been the great hero but to me he was just another politician with an inattention to detail and unwillingness to do proper preparation. He was more capable than some and less capable than others, more likeable than some and less likeable than others, he had some good ideas and some bad ideas.

But we both still know he fucked up with Project Fear - its going to be a long time, or perhaps until some economic disaster, before people trust government economic warnings again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

Great news! Congratulations!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Fenman said:

kle4 said:

Fenman said:

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Thednts.

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

Can we have that again. In English, please.
    Your post seemed to presume that some number of people were conned by a pack of lies. I think that is a pointless route to go down, since what the lies were or were not is not agreed upon (clearly some were, but people will also include differences of opinion or incorrect predictions as lies, which are not the same thing), and whether they were told or not they were countered by the truth by others, so when people estimate how many were conned they will almost certainly pull a figure from their arse based on how angry or not they are about what happened.
  • Options

John_M said:

I don't understand the obsession with the exact number. Let's get Biblical and say there was a 'multitude'. It was a fine demonstration; peaceful and good humoured. It's probably too early to say whether it's influenced May et al, but kudos to the organisers and participants.

It is glorified willy waving, ignore the length, feel the girth.

I prefer the term a phalanx of patriots marched through London on Saturday.
    Patriots in the sense that Philby was patriotic to the Soviet Union.

People who actions serve to undermine the UK's negotiating position, encouraging Barnier to offer the toughest possible terms.
    You're talking about Leavers like IDS who have been to Bruxelles to try and undermine Mrs May's negotiations with Barnier right?

Remainers are traitors, no wonder you're prepared to be Barnier's little helpers.
    :innocent:
    Must have been a different Sunil moaning last week about putting the Union ahead of Brexit.
    Sunil's infamous "Leave is Good" speech:

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that LEAVE, for lack of a better word, is good. LEAVE is right, LEAVE works. LEAVE clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. LEAVE, in all of its forms; LEAVE for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And LEAVE, you mark my words, will not only save the Tory Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK. Thank you very much."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

It is slightly alarming to realise how much of English history was the result of various kings’ inability to keep it in their trousers...
    In many ways it's more disturbing to realise that one of about three exceptions to that rule was Charles I.

As was famously said of Nicholas II, he was a good husband.
  • Options

I'm sure ConHome will take on a very different line once you take over as editor.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

In many ways it's more disturbing to realise that one of about three exceptions to that rule was Charles I.

So I understand - who were the other exceptions?
  • Options

Congrats.

Do you have to do any gardening ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    Interesting betting related article in The Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/record-voter-turnout-for-midterm-elections-but-democrat-blue-wave-czjnhlkq0

Could end up being a rerun of 2016 with all of those Trump voters coming out to vote but not showing up in the polls.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

I just had a look to see where the next Leave Means Leave rally would be.

https://www.leavemeansleave.eu/events/

It seems they don't have any more planned. The figures for the meetings they held were -

Torquay 1500
    Bournemouth - sold out a hall that can take 2,000 standing, but presumably had seats for this event so probably around 1,000
    Gateshead - hasn't troubled Google but around 1,000 to judge by video
    Harrogate 1200

So all in all less than 5,000. As campaigns go, it isn't exactly the storming of the Bastille.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

George III and Henry VII so far as were known were devoted and loyal husbands (although Henry had one bastard born before his marriage).

I suppose you could add Henry VI to that list as well, but he wasn't exactly a good husband.

Edit - I suppose I am being unfair to George VI as well by not including him. Also George V who seems to have been pretty well-behaved (unlike his father and eldest son).
  • Options

It seems they don't have any more planned. The figures for the meetings they held were -

Torquay 1500
    Bournemouth - sold out a hall that can take 2,000 standing, but presumably had seats for this event so probably around 1,000
    Harrogate 1200

So all in all less than 5,000. As campaigns go, it isn't exactly the storming of the Bastille.

Perhaps, unfortunately for them, the majority of the 17 million are satisfied that any amount of leaving counts as leaving. After all, if the weekend was indeed a protest vote (seems like an odd term for it to my mind, since technically it is about a second vote, which could return any number of outcomes even if most of those involved would clearly prefer one particular one), then however crappily we are leaving there's no need to 'protest' via Leave means Leave.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Reaction to having to charter ships so we don't starve or die of scurvy or infections.
    https://twitter.com/Paine18Tom/status/1054793657335848961
  • Options

Lets face it I've been proved right about there being no shortages of food in the shops or of farmworkers in the fields this year.

And I'm truly baffled that you think I have an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne. For you he might have been the great hero but to me he was just another politician with an inattention to detail and unwillingness to do proper preparation. He was more capable than some and less capable than others, more likeable than some and less likeable than others, he had some good ideas and some bad ideas.

But we both still know he fucked up with Project Fear - its going to be a long time, or perhaps until some economic disaster, before people trust government economic warnings again.

UK farmers struggle to secure fruit and vegetable pickers

https://www.foodprocessing-technology.com/news/uk-farmers-struggle-secure-fruit-vegetable-pickers/

Lack of migrant workers left food rotting in UK fields last year, data reveals

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/09/lack-of-migrant-workers-left-food-rotting-in-uk-fields-last-year-data-reveals

Farmers in Kent are leaving food to rot in the fields because they cannot bring in enough workers

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/farmers-kent-leaving-food-rot-780192

Crops have gone unpicked and unharvested because of a growing shortage of agricultural labour.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/01/05/the-migrant-labour-shortage-is-already-here-and-agri-tech-cant-yet-fill-the-gap/

Fruit already rotting in Scottish fields

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/176189/fruit-already-rotting-in-scottish-fields

Farming union says visa scheme falls far short of needs

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/farming/1557750/farming-union-says-visa-scheme-falls-far-short-of-needs/

Lord knows what it looks like when you're proven wrong, strawberries aren't the only thing farmers pick/produce.

I can provide more links if you'd like.
  • Options
    We need a betting post with odds on what TSEs new job is.

Congratulations on the non-relocation mate, one of those life-changing job decisions. Frankfurt could have worked, but at what cost?
  • Options
    Surprised to see no discussion of Italy. The Commission rejecting an elected government's budget, only for the government to basically say "bugger off we don't care what you think" is setting up a rather interesting clash.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm sure ConHome will take on a very different line once you take over as editor.
    I'm going to be the new deputy editor of the Daily Mail.
  • Options

Surprised to see no discussion of Italy. The Commission rejecting an elected government's budget, only for the government to basically say "bugger off we don't care what you think" is setting up a rather interesting clash.

Is it the case they aren't even over the deficit limit rule, however unwise it may be due to other economic problems?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Interesting betting related article in The Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/record-voter-turnout-for-midterm-elections-but-democrat-blue-wave-czjnhlkq0

Could end up being a rerun of 2016 with all of those Trump voters coming out to vote but not showing up in the polls.

Now this is curious:

' The outcomes in Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Montana, Tennessee and Texas will decide who controls the chamber, where Democrats have a slim chance of overturning the Republicans’ 51-49 majority. More Republicans have cast ballots so far, consistent with early voting patterns in past midterms. '

IIRC the 538 article I linked to a few days ago said that Democrats tended to vote early, at least in North Carolina.

There does seem to be some confusion as to who early voting benefits and I dare say some people reading what they want to believe into incomplete data.
  • Options

kle4 said:

They've appointed somebody who doesn't drink alcohol?!!!!
  • Options

Congratulations on the non-relocation mate, one of those life-changing job decisions. Frankfurt could have worked, but at what cost?

It's like Chandler's job in Friends, no one can quite remember what it is.

Unofficially my current job was described as 'Head of Stopping Major Fuck Ups', I ruthlessly delegated minor fuck ups.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Tykie Poundbake
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited October 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I still don't get the medicines thing?

If EU countries for whatever reason don't want to sell the NHS their medicines why can't we just buy them from other countries outside the EU?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

Tykie Poundbake
    Sounds a bit too plebie working class for me.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

If EU countries for whatever reason don't want to sell the NHS their medicines why can't we just buy them from other countries outside the EU?

I hear Colombia has a great pharmaceutical industry
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403

Meanwhile, France gets excused from meeting its Maastricht criteria by the President of the EU Commission "because it's France."

The whole thing stinks.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

Tykie Poundbake
    Are you on a quest to troll absolutely everyone tonight?
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Scott_P said:
    I hope this is just Downing Street spin designed to spook some of the backbench Brexit Ultras; if it's been leaked by a Cabinet Leaver in a panic, then most likely it's genuine and we're in a serious pickle.
    Prison Hulks.

The coming success of WTO Brexit could see '000s of remoaners lapse into madness.

They'll feel better for a bit of sunshine&sea.
  • Options

Meanwhile, France gets excused from meeting its Maastricht criteria by the President of the EU Commission "because it's France."

The whole thing stinks.
    To think there's more than a few Leavers who think a no deal/WTO Brexit means we eventually end up joining the Euro.
  • Options

Unofficially my current job was described as 'Head of Stopping Major Fuck Ups', I ruthlessly delegated minor fuck ups.
    Have you perhaps gone into partnership with @Cyclefree?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Congrats on the new job.

I'm looking forward to seeing you troll the French.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

George III and Henry VII so far as were known were devoted and loyal husbands (although Henry had one bastard born before his marriage).

I suppose you could add Henry VI to that list as well, but he wasn't exactly a good husband.

Edit - I suppose I am being unfair to George VI as well by not including him. Also George V who seems to have been pretty well-behaved (unlike his father and eldest son).
    Edward V?
  • Options

https://www.foodprocessing-technology.com/news/uk-farmers-struggle-secure-fruit-vegetable-pickers/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/09/lack-of-migrant-workers-left-food-rotting-in-uk-fields-last-year-data-reveals

Farmers in Kent are leaving food to rot in the fields because they cannot bring in enough workers

Crops have gone unpicked and unharvested because of a growing shortage of agricultural labour.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/01/05/the-migrant-labour-shortage-is-already-here-and-agri-tech-cant-yet-fill-the-gap/

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/176189/fruit-already-rotting-in-scottish-fields

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/farming/1557750/farming-union-says-visa-scheme-falls-far-short-of-needs/

Lord knows what it looks like when you're proven wrong, strawberries aren't the only thing farmers pick/produce.

Please provide a link to the ONS data of actual agricultural employment.

Or perhaps the ONS agricultural output.

I trust that against farmers complaining that they can't get enough cheap workers - farmer claiming imminent disaster and wanting the government to provide hand outs being quite a tradition.

Alternatively we can all go down to the nearest Tesco and see how much fruit and veg is available for sale.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I hear Colombia has a great pharmaceutical industry
    USA? Canada? Japan?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

The whole thing stinks.
    To think there's more than a few Leavers who think a no deal/WTO Brexit means we eventually end up joining the Euro.
    The Brexit vote has already led to 700,000 people marching under the EU flag through London. It wouldn't have been possible without the Leavers.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

kjh said:

Re crowd numbers:

Ok.

Ok.
    Only me!

I think you meant.

Torquay 1500
    Harrogate 1200

Strangely enough I planned to attend the Gateshead one to see what was occurring. Then, when the day came, forgot all about it.
    There may be a metaphor in there.
    Oh and congrats to TSE.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Congrats on the new job.

I'm trolling the French this very weekend in one of my threads.

I troll them twice in fact.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

Edward V?
    Poor boy wasn't even at puberty when he was murdered! Would have been tough for him to emulate his father's ummmm, exploits at that age.

Edit - and for the same reason I'm disallowing Edward VI.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

It would be a rare year if this didn't happen with some crops. To be meaningful yield, supply, demand, weather and price have to be a part of a meaningful analysis.

Having not looked at your links, those aspects may be included, or maybe they are not.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Congrats on the new job.

If we veto the Brexit deal and decide to remain in the EU, we'll finally get our own back for being snubbed by De Gaulle. ;)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

Edward V?
    Poor boy wasn't even at puberty when he was murdered! Would have been tough for him to emulate his father's ummmm, exploits at that age.
    You don’t think Richard was framed then?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

Tykie Poundbake
    God's Own Countyman West Cornwall Pastie, perhaps??

If you don't get to deputy edit the Daily Mail, you'll be a shoo in for Crufts.

Anyway, gtr, the warning signs of wilful silliness are here.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

The whole thing stinks.
    The Brexit vote has already led to 700,000 people marching under the EU flag through London. It wouldn't have been possible without the Leavers.
    Losers consoling themselves with these posts.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    One of the things that has surprised me about the Brexit debate was that literally anyone would want leave the customs union. Indeed if I had thought for a minute that we would leave it that would have been my number one reason for voting remain. I can get a lot of the anti-EU arguments even though I don't see much merit in many of them. But I still cannot fathom how you get to the point where you regard losing the advantages of the customs union as an actual plus point. But here's an interesting point for anyone who does want to leave it. The latest EU trade deal will mean that nobody will want to build electric cars in Britain.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1054685773142863872

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

Edward V?
    It's not impossible. It's just much less likely than the obvious answer.
  • Options

I trust that against farmers complaining that they can't get enough cheap workers - farmer claiming imminent disaster and wanting the government to provide hand outs being quite a tradition.

Alternatively we can all go down to the nearest Tesco and see how much fruit and veg is available for sale.
    You'll have to wait until next February, the latest figures are pre referendum.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    ydoethur said:

Have you perhaps gone into partnership with @Cyclefree?
    We would of course be an awesome team!

One day, perhaps......
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

There are other countries outside the EU? Surely not. Europe is the only fount of all that is bounteous.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Treason never prospers;
    what’s the reason?
    If it do prosper

Derent because he wasn't a traitor...
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Tail male?

Edward V?
    It's not impossible. It's just much less likely than the obvious answer.
    Occam’s razor is sadly underused.
  • Options

The whole thing stinks.
    Losers consoling themselves with these posts.
    Just chronicling the Pyrrhic victory of the Brexiteers.
  • Options

Head of Oversight

i.e. making sure things get overlooked

I mean, overseen...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    New thread folks...
  • Options

The whole thing stinks.
    There weren't 700,000 people marching.

You need to get over this and accept this.

And no true patriotic Briton should be marching under the traitor's apron
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

One of the things that has surprised me about the Brexit debate was that literally anyone would want leave the customs union. Indeed if I had thought for a minute that we would leave it that would have been my number one reason for voting remain. I can get a lot of the anti-EU arguments even though I don't see much merit in many of them. But I still cannot fathom how you get to the point where you regard losing the advantages of the customs union as an actual plus point. But here's an interesting point for anyone who does want to leave it. The latest EU trade deal will mean that nobody will want to build electric cars in Britain.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1054685773142863872

He might have a point were it not for the fact that Singapore has committed to precisely the same for a UK trade deal over the last week, with scope to go further in the longer term.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Congrats on the new job.

Superb.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited October 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Important: Hunt and Javid leading the charge = the end for May

"Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt is said to have led the assault on May’s plan, with support from Home Secretary Sajid Javid, and fellow cabinet ministers Penny Mordaunt, Michael Gove, Andrea Leadsom, Geoffrey Cox and Liz Truss.

The group demanded a fixed end-date to the so-called backstop guarantee to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland, or at least some kind of mechanism for the U.K. unilaterally to escape the arrangement if necessary."
  • Options

Could be worse, could be like Barney's job in How I Met Your Mother. Please ...

https://how-i-met-your-mother.fandom.com/wiki/Provide_Legal_Exculpation_and_Sign_Everything
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2018
    My parting shot: I really don't like 'traitor' epithet being bandied around by either side. I'd hate to think PB was turning into yet another Internet cesspit. Good night all.
  • Options

You'll have to wait until next February, the latest figures are pre referendum.
    If you want employment in the agricultural sector see page 6 of the attached spreadsheet:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/summaryoflabourmarketstatistics

For the first two quarters of 2018 its averaged 431,000, for the equivalent two quarters in 2016 it was 403,000.

For output in the agricultural sector see

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/l2kl/ukea

For the first two quarters in 2018 it has averaged 102.1, for the equivalent two quarters in 2018 it was 100.2.

So what do we have ?

The ONS says that the agricultural workforce and agricultural output is higher in 2018 than in 2016.

The supermarkets are filled with food and the price doesn't seem to have changed.

Now we can believe that or we can believe some whiny farmers who don't want to pay the going rate and conditions and who want the government to provide an ever cheaper workforce.

There are many groups in this country who might deserve more help but exploitative farmers would not be on my list.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I wish Chuka was PM...
This discussion has been closed.