Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The new regime at the Daily Mail is going to make it make it h

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The new regime at the Daily Mail is going to make it make it harder to oust TMay

The Mail turns its fire on the Tory plotters who are trying to oust TMay pic.twitter.com/0EFC8l78w3

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    First! Like Mrs May & Leave...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Another Douglas.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I was once on a stag weekend on the Welsh coast. Things got a bit lively in the pub we were in and a young holidaymaker got out a knife and started brandishing at one of our party, yelling "I'm going to stab you through the heart". The threatened man looked at the lad with a mixture of pity and contempt and said "if you were going to stab me, you'd stab me. And you definitely wouldn't say you were going to stab me through the heart". The tension dissipated from there.

The lurid language of the ERG brings to mind the same overblown empty threat.
  • Options

The lurid language of the ERG brings to mind the same overblown empty threat.

As one US Teamster boss once memorably observed; 'Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are - you ain't'
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    It's not good when the change in the editorial line of one newspaper can have such a big impact on the UK's politics though is it. Anyone sane will be glad to see the ERG having their wings clipped - but this isn't the best way to do it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Remarkable how someone who claims that the influence of the dead tree press is in terminal decline suddenly thinks they can be very influential when it suits him.
  • Options
    Daily Mail comment:

Sadly, these obscure backbenchers (mainly anonymous of course, like cowards down the ages) are not alone in their bid to wreck the Prime Minister’s Brexit plans.

Iain Duncan Smith scuttled off to Brussels yesterday to tell Michel Barnier that the Chequers deal would never get through Parliament and that he should offer Britain a Canada-style deal instead. As a former leader who was brought down by disloyalty, Mr Duncan Smith really should know better.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6305601/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Saboteurs-endangering-nation.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Daily Mail comment:

Sadly, these obscure backbenchers (mainly anonymous of course, like cowards down the ages) are not alone in their bid to wreck the Prime Minister’s Brexit plans.

Iain Duncan Smith scuttled off to Brussels yesterday to tell Michel Barnier that the Chequers deal would never get through Parliament and that he should offer Britain a Canada-style deal instead. As a former leader who was brought down by disloyalty, Mr Duncan Smith really should know better.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6305601/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Saboteurs-endangering-nation.html

Well that's not true. Iain Duncan Smith was not brought down by disloyalty. He was brought down by being manifestly completely inept in the job.
  • Options

Daily Mail comment:

The PM has Brexit plans? That is news!

Has anyone told her what those plans are?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    ‘It must be true, I read it in the Daily Mail!’

Personal news; big day in the Cole household today; Eldest Grandson is getting married. First grandchild to do so, so it’s quite an event. Lots of our relations arriving; went out for very enjoyable dinner with what seemed quite a lot last night!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Daily Mail comment:

Well that's not true. Iain Duncan Smith was not brought down by disloyalty. He was brought down by being manifestly completely inept in the job.
    That's not true either. He was manifestly completely inept in only half of the job. Under Iain Duncan Smith, the Conservatives did surprisingly well at the ballot box. IDS was brought down because he got a weekly pasting at PMQs which is bad for backbench morale.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Remarkable how someone who claims that the influence of the dead tree press is in terminal decline suddenly thinks they can be very influential when it suits him.

Two points.

I don't think the press 'influence" voters much - they simply play back to them their world view and prejudices - Rebekkah Brookes stressed before Leveson how closely they pay attention to what their readers say - and as another relatively successful paper the Mail is doing that too:

Outside the Westminster bubble, the public are exasperated and exhausted by Brexit infighting and just want a sensible deal to be done – for the benefit of the 17.4 million people who voted Leave, as well as 16.1 million who voted Remain.

The dismal consequence could be Corbynism and a return to the economic paralysis and union domination of the 1970s.

I do think the press may influence some MPs and their Constituency chairman - so when a regular member or voter feeds back to them their own view - mirrored in the Mail, for example, they may think "aha, the Mail is influencing these people" when in truth its at least partly the other way round.

It will be interesting to see how Mr Greig fares - if Mail readers really are the Brexiteer hard core of Dacre's day then I would expect circulation to suffer - but given the hardest of hardcore Brexiteer newspapers, the Telegraph has seen some of the most precipitous declines I really don't think British voters are that ideological.

At bottom, what they really want to know is "how do we kick these buggers out?" And for the EU, they chose the only path open to them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Personal news; big day in the Cole household today; Eldest Grandson is getting married. First grandchild to do so, so it’s quite an event. Lots of our relations arriving; went out for very enjoyable dinner with what seemed quite a lot last night!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

First! Like Mrs May & Leave...

Ah, but which leave, to where, and when?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

Daily Mail comment:

And that's putting it politely.

Still a completely absurd thing to do though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

Daily Mail comment:

He was one of the Maastricht rebels, FFS. As with Corbyn, nobody felt the need to be loyal to him given he was a backstabbing lying two-faced serial rebel himself.

And as Alistair said, that wouldn't have been an issue if he'd been vaguely competent anyway.

And he was still, frighteningly, a better Leader of the Opposition than Corbyn.
  • Options

Hope they have a good one, your Venerable Cheerful Majesty. If the weather in your part of the world is as good as the weather round here has been for the last 72 hours they should have a lovely day for it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Congratulations! Hope the wedding passes off well and you get the chance to embarrass the grandson at some point.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Daily Mail comment:

Ah the anonymous plotters. Some scoop from the Mail.
  • Options
    On topic I think that the Mail has got this pretty much right. Everyone knows May is going to produce a shit deal but I think the vast majority recognise it is still much better than no deal and that she is doing her (slightly disappointing) best. We saw this in the leadership polling yesterday where she reached the giddy heights of beating don't know for PM and of course lengthened her lead on the pathetic Corbyn.

In my experience people are absolutely bored to tears about Brexit. They do not appreciate people on either side making life even more difficult for the PM, whether it is the second vote nonsense or the idiocies of IDS or the ERG. I am increasingly convinced that almost any deal that May brings back to the Commons will be voted through on this basis.

From May's point of view, she really needs to get on with it. The situation is febrile and changes of mood are entirely possible. The sooner she can get her deal signed off and in front of the Commons the better. I think the risks for her increase the longer this drags on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Daily Mail comment:

He was one of the Maastricht rebels, FFS. As with Corbyn, nobody felt the need to be loyal to him given he was a backstabbing lying two-faced serial rebel himself.

And as Alistair said, that wouldn't have been an issue if he'd been vaguely competent anyway.

In fairness I would say it was pretty close between them. IDS was absolutely awful.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In my experience people are absolutely bored to tears about Brexit. They do not appreciate people on either side making life even more difficult for the PM, whether it is the second vote nonsense or the idiocies of IDS or the ERG. I am increasingly convinced that almost any deal that May brings back to the Commons will be voted through on this basis.

I think you're right. The only issue that would cut through is if freedom of movement continued, that's a tangible thing that I think people care about.

All this blather about the single market, customs union doesn't mean much to ordinary people, although of course the impacts of those questions have the potential to be very politically significant.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    DavidL said:

On topic I think that the Mail has got this pretty much right. Everyone knows May is going to produce a shit deal but I think the vast majority recognise it is still much better than no deal and that she is doing her (slightly disappointing) best. We saw this in the leadership polling yesterday where she reached the giddy heights of beating don't know for PM and of course lengthened her lead on the pathetic Corbyn.

From May's point of view, she really needs to get on with it. The situation is febrile and changes of mood are entirely possible. The sooner she can get her deal signed off and in front of the Commons the better. I think the risks for her increase the longer this drags on.

If eople are bored to tears with Brexit, why did we have the second largest demonstration in British history just a few days ago?

Brexiteers may well be dividing between the bored and the bonkers, Remainers much less so.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I think you're right. The only issue that would cut through is if freedom of movement continued, that's a tangible thing that I think people care about.

All this blather about the single market, customs union doesn't mean much to ordinary people, although of course the impacts of those questions have the potential to be very politically significant.
    The implications of these factors for our trade and future prosperity have been massively overstated. The difference between membership of the SM and a FTA is below trivial, the long term implications of the CU may be capable of being spotted by a sharp eyed economist playing with the figures but, as you say, has nothing to do with 99.9% of peoples' lives. I think in a couple of years we will be wondering what all of the fuss was about.
  • Options
    On topic - you've got to wonder at a politician picking a fight with a hospitalised child and his step-father.
  • Options
    My brother used to work for IDS. Not the sharpest tool in the box by all accounts (to say the least) and actually quite an unpleasant individual on a personal basis as well.

One day, quite a number of years ago, he was apparently very angry, shouting to all and sundry “my phone is completely broken...I can’t believe it....someone fix it.....”

A quick press of the “On” button resolved the problem in 5 seconds - and I’m not joking about the above.
  • Options

My brother used to work for IDS. Not the sharpest tool in the box by all accounts (to say the least) and actually quite an unpleasant individual on a personal basis as well.

One day, quite a number of years ago, he was apparently very angry, shouting to all and sundry “my phone is completely broken...I can’t believe it....someone fix it.....”

A quick press of the “On” button resolved the problem in 5 seconds - and I’m not joking about the above.

The quiet man is here to stay but he can't turn himself on?

I'll get my coat. Have a good morning!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

If eople are bored to tears with Brexit, why did we have the second largest demonstration in British history just a few days ago?

Brexiteers may well be dividing between the bored and the bonkers, Remainers much less so.
    Because people in Davidl's group who likely voted both leave and remain are quietly sitting at home, going into the office and just getting on with life. No-one in this group (I'll put myself in this group) is going to bother heading down to London to march or indeed head to Harrogate for Farage march either. Plenty of remainders in Davidl's group, but getting on quietly with life.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

The implications of these factors for our trade and future prosperity have been massively overstated. The difference between membership of the SM and a FTA is below trivial, the long term implications of the CU may be capable of being spotted by a sharp eyed economist playing with the figures but, as you say, has nothing to do with 99.9% of peoples' lives. I think in a couple of years we will be wondering what all of the fuss was about.
    I'm not quite as optimistic as you on that - but I agree that the consequences have been overstated/confused with no deal scenarios which I see as very unlikely to happen. I've been convinced that losing the customs union would have a big impact on certain sectors.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Not a fan of indoctrinating kids (there was a 'backlash' video on Youtube of someone coaching their five year old with pro-EU propaganda), but calling a sick child in hospital a cretin is utterly boorish.

And not just that. It's stupid. Like the pubescent knife-twisting numpty, and disregarding the moral misjudgement of getting giddy over such things, it actively helps the other side. And it's obvious that's the case.

When arch-Remainers giggle about Leavers all dying off, it doesn't make them look good. Turns out, amazingly, being contemptuous about sick children doesn't make you look good either.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Because people in Davidl's group who likely voted both leave and remain are quietly sitting at home, going into the office and just getting on with life. No-one in this group (I'll put myself in this group) is going to bother heading down to London to march or indeed head to Harrogate for Farage march either. Plenty of remainders in Davidl's group, but getting on quietly with life.
    Yep - the no doubt substantial proportion of Eurosceptic remainers. People who like the idea of Leave, but voted remain because they foresaw the difficulties/complications of the process and just opted to vote against it. Having been proved right, they have no interest in lengthening this process by embarking on a further referendum which will do little or nothing to combat their original concerns (even if the difficulties/complications just become different).

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Not a fan of indoctrinating kids (there was a 'backlash' video on Youtube of someone coaching their five year old with pro-EU propaganda), but calling a sick child in hospital a cretin is utterly boorish.

And not just that. It's stupid. Like the pubescent knife-twisting numpty, and disregarding the moral misjudgement of getting giddy over such things, it actively helps the other side. And it's obvious that's the case.

When arch-Remainers giggle about Leavers all dying off, it doesn't make them look good. Turns out, amazingly, being contemptuous about sick children doesn't make you look good either.

Being a dick makes you look like a dick shocker.
  • Options
    Now I come to think of it, the obnoxiousness slightly reminds me of when children are deliberately dickish in front of their friends to try and impress them... when you're more concerned with what the in-group thinks than the out-group, norms can shift quite a lot.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, be fair. Baldrick had a thingy that looked like a turnip. #NotAllDicks
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    It looks like the Daily Mail is now moving to be the ultra May loyalist house paper much like the Daily Express was for John Major.

Of the other Tory papers the Express and Telegraph will be behind the ERG and for hard Brexit and No Deal if necessary and the Times and Evening Standard will be for soft Brexit having backed Remain
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    For balance, Graham Allen, for many years Labour MP for Nottingham North, thought highly of IDS and took a certain amount of partisan flak for working with him on addressing the causes of poverty (Graham's big thing is early education). He reckoned that IDS was the genuine article of a Christian Democrat who genuinely worried about people at the bottom of the heap. Doesn't make IDS necessarily competent or right, but more complex than just a shrill right-winger.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Paging @rcs1000 for a future video - an interesting chart potentially showing US consumers are starting to save their windfalls rather than spending them:

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1054001859180978176

I wonder 2 things:
    1) Is it a psychological hangover from GFC that is making people more cautious?
    2) How does this effect break down by income distribution?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Daily Mail comment:

In fairness I would say it was pretty close between them. IDS was absolutely awful.
    In electoral terms though IDS did better than Hague and may even have done better than Howard in 2005 and Corbyn has done better than Foot, Kinnock and Ed Miliband
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Paging @rcs1000 for a future video - an interesting chart potentially showing US consumers are starting to save their windfalls rather than spending them:

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1054001859180978176

I wonder 2 things:
    1) Is it a psychological hangover from GFC that is making people more cautious?
    2) How does this effect break down by income distribution?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

And what was the largest one?

:wink:
  • Options

For balance, Graham Allen, for many years Labour MP for Nottingham North, thought highly of IDS and took a certain amount of partisan flak for working with him on addressing the causes of poverty (Graham's big thing is early education). He reckoned that IDS was the genuine article of a Christian Democrat who genuinely worried about people at the bottom of the heap. Doesn't make IDS necessarily competent or right, but more complex than just a shrill right-winger.

IDS has a temper but so did John McCain, he is a socially conservative Christian who believes in social justice but focused on work and the family
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Any circulation figures for the Mail since the change of Editor?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    You
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

When numbers are confirmed it will be shown to be smaller than the Countryside Alliance March of 2004.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

For the same reason that maybe 50 to 100 people spend half their days in the comments section here, while the vast majority of people who visit this site (presumably several orders of magnitude larger) read the thread header and bugger off about their day.

Some people are hyper-engaged on political issues, for most it is a small part of their lives. When the countryside alliance marched many years ago, the whole country wasn't set alight by the issue of foxhunting. A small but vocal minority were extremely passionate about it. But it would be wrong to say that a silent majority throughout the country wanted the foxhunting ban overturned.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    edited October 2018
    President of Exeter Conservative Association calls for a united Ireland.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    HYUFD said:

It looks like the Daily Mail is now moving to be the ultra May loyalist house paper much like the Daily Express was for John Major.

Of the other Tory papers the Express and Telegraph will be behind the ERG and for hard Brexit and No Deal if necessary and the Times and Evening Standard will be for soft Brexit having backed Remain

It really makes no difference these days what newspapers say.

Ultimately May will have two choices - declare no deal herself, or come back with a ‘deal’ that clearly does not have the ability for the UK to exit the transition period on its own - eg a deal where it ends based on criteria that the EU control.

At that point, the public will focus on the matter and realise that Brexit will not be delivered because the UK has given away control instead of taking it back. Just like Cameron’s fudge, the public will turn on the deal and it will be defeated.

BTW yesterday’s quote from May was nothing like what you suggested. She simply repeated the formulation of the question when making her answer. The Government clearly set out that a second referendum was off the table permanently.

I always take heart when remainers start dreaming up new referendum questions because it shows how disconnected they are from reality. Tory MPs will never support it bceause it would cause carnage and achieve nothing.

May is boxed in by her conditions yesterday which obviously were a mile away from what she told Robbins to agree last week. It has been a good week for Brexit. Once the fuss about the unattributed comments dies down, the moves the remove her will return as soon as she tries to get away from her new red lines.

The only change I now see is that the chances of May declaring no deal have risen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    And what sort of low life politician uses such language towards either the kid or his family, or assumes that they have any insight into the lives of a family they have never spoken to ?

Oh, Stewart Jackson.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

HYUFD said:

Ultimately May will have two choices - declare no deal herself, or come back with a ‘deal’ that clearly does not have the ability for the UK to exit the transition period on its own - eg a deal where it ends based on criteria that the EU control.

At that point, the public will focus on the matter and realise that Brexit will not be delivered because the UK has given away control instead of taking it back. Just like Cameron’s fudge, the public will turn on the deal and it will be defeated.

BTW yesterday’s quote from May was nothing like what you suggested. She simply repeated the formulation of the question when making her answer. The Government clearly set out that a second referendum was off the table permanently.

I always take heart when remainers start dreaming up new referendum questions because it shows how disconnected they are from reality. Tory MPs will never support it bceause it would cause carnage and achieve nothing.

May is boxed in by her conditions yesterday which obviously were a mile away from what she told Robbins to agree last week. It has been a good week for Brexit. Once the fuss about the unattributed comments dies down, the moves the remove her will return as soon as she tries to get away from her new red lines.

The only change I now see is that the chances of May declaring no deal have risen.
    Most likely the Daily Mail will be as unreadable as it was under Dacre. The oh so typical..., "fury" outrage" anger" type headlines are not going away anytime soon. The editorial may well be different, but it is still a nasty paper designed to press peoples buttons.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

I went to a talk with IDS at the Union c.2007/8: he was decent, polite and cared deeply about reforming welfare to improve the lot of the poorest in society. He also answered every single question from the audience - which is always impressive.

It didn't surprise me in the least when he resigned after Osborne's budget cuts that undermined his flagship policy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    I'm sceptical the press view shapes opinion much so it's a question of if the tone of the mail reflects a mood well enough that the plotters end up thinking they should back down. I don't see why they would. They seem more likely to conclude better no brexit than shit deal brexit.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    DavidL said:

May will produce a shit deal because Brexit is shit. It's as simple as that. But because half the population think the direction is wrong and the other half don't face up to the consequences of their decision, May is the only politician taking Brexit seriously.
  • Options

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

When numbers are confirmed it will be shown to be smaller than the Countryside Alliance March of 2004.
    You clearly don’t want to believe that so many people are willing to show their support for the EU. Believe it. The next one will be even bigger if necessary.
  • Options

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

You clearly don’t want to believe that so many people are willing to show their support for the EU. Believe it. The next one will be even bigger if necessary.
    I thought they were supposed to be showing support for a second vote. As democrats they would presumably then accept it if that vote confirmed a leave position rather than continue to back the EU? After all it's about a confirmatory vote not being partisan right?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited October 2018

Firstly congratulations!

Pehaps you could discreetly ask some of your guests something that has left me scratching my head.......

I saw a group of the Peacocking Saboteurs yesterday filmed walking down a street like the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs (IDS Redwood Rees Mogg Patterson Davis..) and knew that no friend or relative or person who had ever worked for me or I had ever worked for or barman or caterer or hoteller or restaurateur or anyone I had ever had dealings with.....could possibly find common cause with a group of politicians as noxious as this....

....... so where is their support coming from?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

And what was the largest one?

:wink:
    Iraq war. Similar to Brexit in a strange way by being predicated on a false premise and therefore doomed to failure, divisive amongst the population and therefore creating a huge political mess.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    No10 has done a very good job at blunting the attacks. She soldiers on.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

More Brexiteer denial of inconvenient facts, but we are getting used to that.

I was there, I have never been in such a big crowd, nor one so positive and well behaved.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Roger said:

Firstly congratulations!

Pehaps you could discreetly ask some of your guests something that has left me scratching my head.......

I saw a group of the Peacocking Saboteurs yesterday filmed walking down a street like the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs (IDS Redwood Rees Mogg Patterson Davis..) and knew that no friend or relative or person who had ever worked for me or I had ever worked for or barman or caterer or hoteller or restaurateur or anyone I had ever had dealings with.....could possibly find common cause with this noxious group of politicians....

Given the level of support they have the simplest explanation is that you are simply incorrect in assuming no one you know could find common cause with them.

People can be odd. A BBC report on that Bolsanaro chap in Brazil did a thing I've noticed them do a lot with odious leaders in explaining how horrible they are, and in his case that included how hugely misogynist he is, then buries part way down that they are popular, and in his case despite being so misogynist he was leading in the polls with women. So chances are loads of people you think would never find common cause with those people do.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Daily Mail comment:

As bad as Blair. He needs to fucking shut his trap and let the nation speak with one voice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Daily Mail comment:

As bad as Blair. He needs to fucking shut his trap and let the nation speak with one voice.
    We are too divided for one voice, but people could at least wait their turn when it comes to attempting to negotiate with Brussels.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Daily Mail comment:

We are too divided for one voice, but people could at least wait their turn when it comes to attempting to negotiate with Brussels.
    It's not as though I agree with the voice, however, we need to play this out with one representative in Brussels, not Blair saying "keep up the heavy bombardment and the government will cave" or IDS turning up the volume about a deal the government has already ruled out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Foxy said:

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

I was there, I have never been in such a big crowd, nor one so positive and well behaved.
    Were there not more people at your title parade in 2016?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I'm not quite as optimistic as you on that - but I agree that the consequences have been overstated/confused with no deal scenarios which I see as very unlikely to happen. I've been convinced that losing the customs union would have a big impact on certain sectors.
    Its certainly more of an issue that the SM and I personally would be quite relaxed about a UK wide membership of the CU for a significant period as a part of the transition.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Daily Mail comment:

It's not as though I agree with the voice, however, we need to play this out with one representative in Brussels, not Blair saying "keep up the heavy bombardment and the government will cave" or IDS turning up the volume about a deal the government has already ruled out.
    It's unnecessary more than anything else. We have been told over and over the EU will act in it's best interests and not be diverted so they won't change tactics, therefore anyone wanting different tactics from us can send Barnier an email if they want and concentrate on defeating Mays position so they can try theirs.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Want to check the scale of the march on Saturday. Do so here with this time lapse video
    https://youtu.be/usw0TEjfdPo
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Its certainly more of an issue that the SM and I personally would be quite relaxed about a UK wide membership of the CU for a significant period as a part of the transition.
    Yes, as long as there was an end date in sight and we sacked Dr Fox and replaced him with someone not obsessed by a non-starter US trade deal or non-starter China trade deal I'd be ok with 5 years in the customs union.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

May will produce a shit deal because Brexit is shit. It's as simple as that. But because half the population think the direction is wrong and the other half don't face up to the consequences of their decision, May is the only politician taking Brexit seriously.
    She has to deal with the practical realities rather than the self indulgent fantasies of either side. I do not think she has made a good job of it but she is at least dealing with the real.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Want to check the scale of the march on Saturday. Do so here with this time lapse video

For balance, do you have a time-lapse of 17 plus million people voting to Leave over the course of one day?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

Yawn.....

How many of the 700,000 had voted Leave?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

You didn’t.

So you were at the Countryside Aliance march as well and can directly compare it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The quiet man is here to stay but he can't turn himself on?

I'll get my coat. Have a good morning!
    Having conjured up the image of IDS trying to turn himself on, you should be smuggled from the building with your coat over your head to preserve your anonymity.
  • Options

He should not be in the Conservative and Unionist party then, even if I do agree with SM and CU for NI and FTA for GB
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

For balance, do you have a time-lapse of 17 plus million people voting to Leave over the course of one day?
    Fish cùshion
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Daily Mail comment:

In electoral terms though IDS did better than Hague and may even have done better than Howard in 2005 and Corbyn has done better than Foot, Kinnock and Ed Miliband
    IDS was never tested in a general election
  • Options
    edited October 2018

HYUFD said:

As the quote made clear yesterday May refused to rule out a second EU referendum permanently if negotiations ended with no deal. She could have done so, she did not, that was telling.

At the end of the day May knows she will not last long as PM if No Deal, either her party will replace her with a hard Brexiteer as she will be seen to have failed and better get a true believer rather a Remainer as she was or she will lose the next general election so she May as well put Brexit back to the people in that circumstance, let them decide and she can stay PM. The People's Vote campaign are reportedly in contact with 50 Tory MPs who back EUref2 over No Deal according to the Sunday Times so that would give it a comfortable Commons majority with opposition support too, if May backed it even most Tory MPs may do, after all most of them backed Remain
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    I wonder what happened to that Interpol chap China disappeared? The Saudi problem seems to be not what they did but that they were hopelessly incompetent in it.
  • Options
    F1: hmm. Ferrari drivers shorter than Mercedes on Ladbrokes. And Red Bull shorter than the Finns.
  • Options
    Making decisions based on the number of people who turn up to a march is an even worse idea than trying to decide something by referendum.
  • Options
    Mr. D, a fair point, but that incompetence meant there was evidence against them.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

I wonder what happened to that Interpol chap China disappeared? The Saudi problem seems to be not what they did but that they were hopelessly incompetent in it.
    Charged with corruption in China. Nobody seems to be making a fuss except his wife, so maybe there is some truth to the charges.
  • Options
    Huzzah! I cunningly left myself notes from the past. I knew I would.

"Notes to self for future:
    Very hard to pass in Mexico. Thinner air reduces the effectiveness of DRS and slipstreams.
    Stupid track surface which means degradation is minimal. One stops very likely.
    Not a car breaker."
  • Options

You

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

We'll never know.

The Police have said they 'can't estimate the numbers' but in general "Police Estimates" are typically around half (or less) than the organisers estimate.

The biggest demo on record - against the Iraq war - was estimated by the organisers at 2 million - the police thought 750,000 - and I don't think anyone is claiming the Brexit demo was that big. So if we apply that rough & ready 'rule of thumb' perhaps 350-375,000 took part - which would put it a shade under the Countryside Alliance at 400,000 (a rare example of where organiser and police estimates coincide):

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/mar/28/demonstrations-protests-uk-list

None of this matters. What matters is the 17.4 million.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Charged with corruption in China. Nobody seems to be making a fuss except his wife, so maybe there is some truth to the charges.
    The arbitrariness of the puritanical state. Anyone is at risk when you set the bar so high nobody could hope to meet it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Just my guess, but I think could be where we will end up. May is going to need Labour votes, and I think that's the concession she can offer without losing too many of her own side. If the CU transition extends past the next GE, then Labour MPs will think they can stay in permanently, and Tories will think they can leave after next time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He should not be in the Conservative and Unionist party then, even if I do agree with SM and CU for NI and FTA for GB
    So you're not a unionist and want to dissolve the union? Under your logic you shouldn't be in the Conservative and Unionist Party either.

If your proposal goes ahead the union would already be dead. Which is why its opposed by unionists.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Just my guess, but I think could be where we will end up. May is going to need Labour votes, and I think that's the concession she can offer without losing too many of her own side. If the CU transition extends past the next GE, then Labour MPs will think they can stay in permanently, and Tories will think they can leave after next time.
    Having Liam Fox negotiated trade deals come into force before the next GE would be electorally 'brave'.
  • Options
    Government to move from warning business about no deal preparations to instructing them to act.

https://www.ft.com/content/313fde10-d61c-11e8-ab8e-6be0dcf18713?segmentId=a7371401-027d-d8bf-8a7f-2a746e767d56
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So you're not a unionist and want to dissolve the union? Under your logic you shouldn't be in the Conservative and Unionist Party either.

If your proposal goes ahead the union would already be dead. Which is why its opposed by unionists.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-44162470

Utter rubbish. Even most Protestants in Northern Ireland want to stay in the single market and customs union

It is No Dealers like you who risk destroying the Union as polling shows Scots could vote for independence if No Deal and a majority of Northern Ireland voters would vote for a United Ireland if a hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

F1: hmm. Ferrari drivers shorter than Mercedes on Ladbrokes. And Red Bull shorter than the Finns.

Wouldn't be betting on Daniel - I suspect he will need new parts / engine..
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Given NI outlaws gay marriage and abortion it hardly mirrors GB on everything now anyway
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    HYUFD said:

She even?
  • Options
    Just on the Mail and their stance, a few things to bear in mind:

1. Viscount Rothermere controls the shots;
    2. His wealth is directly tied into the value of his DMGT shares;
    3. The health of DMGT's newspaper business is important for the share price. The shares tend to react badly to weakening circulation / advertising numbers (stating the obvious here but...)
    4. Around 25% of DMGT's profits including its Euromoney associate come from newspapers. Ironically, because DMGT has sold off stakes in Zoopla and in Euromoney and made other disposals, newspapers are still important despite the profits declines.
    5. Losses in newspaper revenues have a high drop through to profits (roughly 2/3) on both circulation and advertising. Rising paper costs will also hit the newspapers next year.

Putting all the above into the mix, my view is that Rothermere is willing to give Greig the chance to go with a more loyalist line to May but if there is any prolonged signs that his stance is hurting the newspapers on circulation he will be forced to turn around pretty sharpish. The signs don't look great - Daily Mail circulation was down 11% yoy in September and the Mail on Sunday down 13%. That is probably average to slightly worse than the market in general (the Times, e.g. is down 5%, the Telegraph was down 23%) but the Mail always prided itself that its circulation declines were lower than the market average. What might also worry the Mail is that Mail Online readers were down 19% yoy, much worse than the other newspaper websites.

I personally don't think Rothermere will give Greig much more than a few months with his stance if there are signs the loyalist stance is driving away readers (by the way, I don't think they are going to the Express, their behaviour is a bit more complex).

Also worth noting that the Express, which is behind the ERG, is owned by....the pro-Labour supporting Reach (the ex-Trinity Mirror). The fact the new management haven't put pressure on the editors to change the stance is a sign they are worried about the circulation / advertising loss.
  • Options
    Mr. eek, indeed, plus he has a 39% DNF rate (7/18).

Bets I'm looking at currently:
    Verstappen, win (Betfair), 5.6, to hedge
    Raikkonen, fastest qualifier, 10 each way
    Force India, double points, 1.9 (they've had that in about 5/7 recent races and it would've been more if Ocon hadn't been disqualified on a technicality last time).
    Ricciardo, not to be classified, 3.5
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given NI outlaws gay marriage and abortion it hardly mirrors GB on everything now anyway
    That is their choice though. They could legalise it if they chose to.

Under your proposal they would be a colony of the EU. Forced to maintain EU laws but given no say in them.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-44162470

Utter rubbish. Even most Protestants in Northern Ireland want to stay in the single market and customs union

It is No Dealers like you who risk destroying the Union as polling shows Scots could vote for independence if No Deal and a majority of Northern Ireland voters would vote for a United Ireland if a hard border in Ireland
    Then let them elect people to choose that. It is democracy. Forcing them to against what they have elected is not.

Hypothetical polling shows nothing other than your obsession with hypothetical polling.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    Roger said:

Firstly congratulations!

I saw a group of the Peacocking Saboteurs yesterday filmed walking down a street like the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs (IDS Redwood Rees Mogg Patterson Davis..) and knew that no friend or relative or person who had ever worked for me or I had ever worked for or barman or caterer or hoteller or restaurateur or anyone I had ever had dealings with.....could possibly find common cause with a group of politicians as noxious as this....

Australia, if the PB posts are anything to go by :wink:
This discussion has been closed.