Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In contrast to new reports of a TMay confidence move YouGov gi

Comments

• Options
    I am convinced that this weekends lurid and threatening abuse directed at TM has had a very real negative effect for ERG

Yvette Cooper has absolutely condemned the abuse and demanded the mp/mps are identified and held to account by the HOC and party
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Scott_P said:
    Makes sense to me - Parliament can demand anything it likes, but as has been made repeatedly clear the EU will do what it will do.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Scott_P said:
    To be pedantic, the Titanic only completed approximately 64-65% of its planned route - evidently accuracy with facts and figures is not required for Labour shadow Chief Secretaries!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    edited October 2018
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    To be pedantic, the Titanic only completed approximately 64-65% of its planned route - evidently accuracy with facts and figures is not required for Labour shadow Chief Secretaries!
    Ha.. have *just* been looking on Google for a map showing exactly that :)

Perhaps he's angling for promotion to Shadow Home Secretary?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-2126457-128078B5000005DC-189_634x265.jpg
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    Shame to let facts get in the way of a decent joke, but he could have chosen another analogy no doubt.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

On topic, I agree with Mike that now would be a stupid time to dump May for many reasons.

However, Westminster has its own rhythms and just because May is relatively popular in the country doesn't mean she'll survive. MPs need to weigh up not just what would happen were May to lose the vote but what would happen if she won it.

To my mind, by far the best option is for her to step down next summer (and if she won't go voluntarily, to be pushed then). There is insufficient impetus on domestic policy and what instincts for action she has are often bad ones. She certainly cannot be allowed to fight another general election.

However, if a vote comes before then, it's almost certain that if she wins, she will either do so by a narrow enough margin that her authority is shot, or by a big enough margin to see her through future threats. The former should lead to her resignation anyway, the latter would see her through to 2022. But if she cannot be allowed to go through to 2022, then MPs who would otherwise back her will still need to vote against that outcome and hope that they can rally around a sensible option to succeed her. For that reason if a vote is called, I reckon it's likely that she'd lose (I'd make it about a 4/7 shot at the moment), whatever the other risks and consequences.

I have said before, that as soon as a vote gets called, that is the starting pistol for her replacement. Enough would vote against her to ensure that a new leader was in place before the election. After the 2017 Election and Brexit fiascos, no-one is going to allow her the opportunity for a hat-trick.

And it looks like that vote could now get called.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-2126457-128078B5000005DC-189_634x265.jpg
    I'm not sure that's quite the killer rebuttal you hope it is.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It's statesman like behaviour when someone approved of does it - see Tusk.

Edit - And yes, Leaver examples are available.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:
    I’m not sure replying like that on a thread promoting Ireland joining the UN Security Council was entirely wise......
  • Options
    Dominic Raab ensuring John Bercow remains Speaker for the rest of the Parliament.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it was intended a rhetorical point rather than an interesting factoid.
  • Options
    Listening to Dominic Raab he is far more impressive than David Davis
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Listening to Dominic Raab he is far more impressive than David Davis

If you set the bar any lower it would be a ridge.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I see no reason both of those things cannot be true. Not everyone believes A50 can be withdrawn (even if parliament wanted it to), and it is almost certainly the case that it is not practical for parliament to alter a deal that the EU has agreed to, even if it is possible. But of course the government would have an interest in parliament being involved as little as possible, which of course is why they tried not to have MPs involved in declaring A50. Why they did that I don't know, since having MPs authorise it is I would think a useful reminder to make to many MPs.
  • Options
    TM on her feet now
  • Options

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it was intended a rhetorical point rather than an interesting factoid.
    That's why it isn't embarrassing, its just amusing.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. I imagine May's feeble capitulation will get waved through.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure that's quite the killer rebuttal you hope it is.
    Questioning the accuracy of that dubious figure only serves to highlight the fact that the ship did actually sink. I'm sure there's an analogy in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Impotent though they are by definition eunuchs have nevertheless held great influence in many societies of course.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
  • Options
    On that subject, I was reading about the last Chinese imperial eunuch who died in 1998.

He was made a eunuch when a boy when his father (sensitive readers may want to look away) sliced off his penis and testicles with a carving knife. The father was engaged in a long-running boundary dispute, and hoped that having a son as imperial eunuch would help get judgement in his favour.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Makes sense to me - Parliament can demand anything it likes, but as has been made repeatedly clear the EU will do what it will do.
    How can anyone think that it would be possible to debate the deal that TM has negotiated forensically with a view to going back to the EU with loads of changes?? Anyone suggesting this is not in touch with reality.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

On that subject, I was reading about the last Chinese imperial eunuch who died in 1998.

He was made a eunuch when a boy when his father (sensitive readers may want to look away) sliced off his penis and testicles with a carving knife. The father was engaged in a long-running boundary dispute, and hoped that having a son as imperial eunuch would help get judgement in his favour.
    See bribery is the best option sometimes.
  • Options
    It's Chequers or Chequers Minus
  • Options
    currystar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    How can anyone think that it would be possible to debate the deal that TM has negotiated forensically with a view to going back to the EU with loads of changes?? Anyone suggesting this is not in touch with reality.
    So long as someone acknowledged the difficulties in doing so, and the risk of no deal as a result, then I don't have an issue with someone pushing it. But to merely trash the deal, which let's face it will be pretty crappy if agreed at all, and insist they don't want no deal, then add in a bunch of additional conditions which may not be possible to deliver? That would, I think, be unreasonable, and be little different than those that claimed it would all be very easy, knowing it would not be.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2018
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    I reckon Peter Dowd was (largely) right.

95% of the journey the Titanic actually made was completed successfully. You could make a case that the other 5% of the journey made was in the z plane rather than the x/y (lon/lat) planes and wasn't very successful.

Only 65% of the Titanic's planned journey was completed successfully, sure. But he didn't say "planned journey".
  • Options
    It's all a bit teetering on the edge - extension of transition period comes at the end of the transition period. How's that for certainty for business and the like?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Did the legal ruse work?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    TOPPING said:

It's all a bit teetering on the edge - extension of transition period comes at the end of the transition period. How's that for certainty for business and the like?

It might not be needed.
  • Options
    Mr. P, if that's accurate, someone should tell May Northern Ireland is in the UK.
  • Options
    Something to take your mind off...well, everything really.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1054396468692508673
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

It might not be needed.
    The transition is, amongst other things, to not have to worry about the NI border. Nothing is likely to have changed by then to have made the issue any more soluble.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    In terms of total elapsed time, it'll be closer to 95% (though still less), given that Titanic stopped off in (IIRC) Cherbourg and Cobh after leaving Southampton.
  • Options

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    I reckon Peter Dowd was (largely) right.

95% of the journey the Titanic actually made was completed successfully. You could make a case that the other 5% of the journey made was in the z plane rather than the x/y (lon/lat) planes and wasn't very successful.

Only 65% of the Titanic's planned journey was completed successfully, sure. But he didn't say "planned journey".
    -_-
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited October 2018
    Corbyn is more than hopeless

He is just reading his response
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Did the legal ruse work?
    No. The Ching dynasty lost power shortly afterwards.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't quite see what the two issues have to do with one another. A second referendum won't be able to propose meaningful amendments either. If the people can approve or reject a deal unamended, so can parliament, the people are not required to become involved.

Personally I back a second vote as I don't think parliament is capable at present to approve anything otherwise, leave remain or deal, but I think she is rather looking for an excuse there. If she wants to remain, or another GE, or no deal, or anything else, you don't need a second vote for that, parliament can just do it, so lack of ability to amend the proposal doesn't add to the need for a second vote at all, it's irrelevant.

Nor does it answer the point that it is not absurd to note that whatever parliament amends it to does not necessarily have any bearing on the EU.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
  • Options
    I might be talking my book here, but I thought May's speech was pretty good.
  • Options
    Mr. F, one imagines the eunuch was peeved.

Mr. Eagles, that's an astoundingly self-absorbed perspective (that you've cited).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

She knows her subject far more than most
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Mr. P, if that's accurate, someone should tell May Northern Ireland is in the UK.

It's not quite accurate. Full unfettered access from NI to Great Britain is what was said
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I see no reason both of those things cannot be true. Not everyone believes A50 can be withdrawn (even if parliament wanted it to), and it is almost certainly the case that it is not practical for parliament to alter a deal that the EU has agreed to, even if it is possible. But of course the government would have an interest in parliament being involved as little as possible, which of course is why they tried not to have MPs involved in declaring A50. Why they did that I don't know, since having MPs authorise it is I would think a useful reminder to make to many MPs.
    One side-effect of MPs having had to endorse the invocation of A50 by primary legislation is that it now almost certainly means that the government doesn't have the power to revoke A50 without further primary legislation (even if it's allowed to do it under EU law, which is itself as yet unknown), for the same reason that it wasn't allowed to make the original notification.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

As I said the moment it was suggested.

It was hopeless then, it's hopeless now.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, cheers for the clarification.

Mr. Herdson, did said invocation only occur following Gina Miller's court case? Or would it have happened anyway?
  • Options
    Outside the chamber, I think we can count the number of people who care on one hand. And they both post on here.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Has Theresa resigned yet? :D
  • Options
    The thing about Ireland - you're ALWAYS going to need a Rainy Day Fund....
  • Options
    I'm calling it now.

We're going to get a court case that will have even more impact than R v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.
  • Options

kle4 said:
    One side-effect of MPs having had to endorse the invocation of A50 by primary legislation is that it now almost certainly means that the government doesn't have the power to revoke A50 without further primary legislation (even if it's allowed to do it under EU law, which is itself as yet unknown), for the same reason that it wasn't allowed to make the original notification.
    Seems very probable. And someone would certainly launch a challenge if the government tried to withdraw without parliamentary approval. As per last night
    kle4 said:

Not so sure about that. The executive has the power to do many things without H of C votes. Just because they had a vote on it before, does not mean they have to do the inverse of the vote to retract article 50.

Sounds like a matter for the Supreme Court to weigh in on, but since legislative approval was required to issue A50, I would imagine whether the government now has the power to rescind it (or request rescinding or pausing it at least) would depend on what power the Act conferred upon the government. Since the text was so short and was explicitly about being able to notify the EU of the UK's intention to withdraw, I would not be entirely surprised if a strict interpretation would be that no other power was given, including a power to rescind said intention was given. It did say the PM 'may notify' of the intention in the Act, so I guess maybe you could interpret it since whether to do so was still in the discretion of the PM then suspending or withdrawing the intention would be too, but as a lay person that looks convoluted.

Edit: And of course the legal case which determined parliament had to confer the power to notify the EU via A50 to the government had both parties accept that A50 was irrevocable. Now, I believe even in that case it was noted that other opinions exist - it may well be revocable - but I wonder if that fact of its irrevocability was a factor in the decision that Parliament needed to grant the government the power in the first place, and therefore the same would need to happen in reverse unless explicitly stated. In matters of such import, would the courts be inclined to take broad interpretations of implied rules like that? Mr Meeks would be a better judge on that I am sure.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Has Theresa resigned yet? :D

Lord Falconer is on stand-by - for solidarity.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Pulpstar said:

As with last weeks PMQs she seems to have recovered some confidence.
  • Options

I'm calling it now.

We're going to get a court case that will have even more impact than R v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.

Do explain...
  • Options

I'm calling it now.

For those of us not watching - what is it (not pineapple & pizza, surely?)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited October 2018

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

I suspect we shall see a court case to determine whether if Raab's definition of a meaningful vote is correct, ie the vote will be to accept May's deal or No Deal.

Assuming if Parliament doesn't override him and offer other options, which is what Frank Field suggested.

We are getting into even more messy constitutional grounds.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, did said invocation only occur following Gina Miller's court case? Or would it have happened anyway?

The Miller case determined that parliament had to invoke it, hence the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017.

Section 1(1) says

The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.

There is no other clause, beside technical ones. While it is possible to read into that an implied power that if A50 implies a power to revoke then the Act implies a similar power, I don't buy it. I think the words say what they say and no more and that an amending Act would be necessary to grant an equivalent power to notify revocation.
  • Options
    The one thing uniting the HOC today is the utter condemnation of the abuse directed at the PM. Yvette Cooper has just added to the condemnation.

A complete own goal by ERG
  • Options

The one thing uniting the HOC today is the utter condemnation of the abuse directed at the PM. Yvette Cooper has just added to the condemnation.

Well it is clearly not united since some of them will be the ones who said it in the first place.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    (Thanks TSE.)

Great-Uncle Vince actually asks a useful question for once (about the Government "war-gaming" a second referendum) and gets a classic non-denial from May...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well it is clearly not united since some of them will be the ones who said it in the first place.
    Steve Baker asking for the whip to be withdrawn from those abusing TM
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

I assume you have no idea who actually made the comments?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    May dropped another big hint that she's preparing for a second referendum there by ruling it out "at this stage of the negotiations".
  • Options

I assume you have no idea who actually made the comments?
    I have a good idea but I am keeping it to myself
  • Options

The Miller case determined that parliament had to invoke it, hence the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017.

Section 1(1) says

The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.

There is no other clause, beside technical ones. While it is possible to read into that an implied power that if A50 implies a power to revoke then the Act implies a similar power, I don't buy it. I think the words say what they say and no more and that an amending Act would be necessary to grant an equivalent power to notify revocation.
    The legal basis for the UKSC decision was that A50 changed the rights of UK citizens and it is this that requires primary legislation. There is a risk that the SC would rule that withdrawing A50 would not change citizens rights because we have not actually left.
  • Options

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

I suspect we shall see a court case to determine whether if Raab's definition of a meaningful vote is correct, ie the vote will be to accept May's deal or No Deal.

Assuming if Parliament doesn't override him and offer other options, which is what Frank Field suggested.

You won’t see anything of the sort. The Courts do not interfere in Parliamentary procedure.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

You won’t see anything of the sort. The Courts do not interfere in Parliamentary procedure.
    Gina Miller?
  • Options

kle4 said:

So possibly it was not a leading light of the ERG...
  • Options

kle4 said:

I am not saying who it was
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,453
    The headbangers know they have the numbers and the discontent to trigger the election but they know also that if they act she will win.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

kle4 said:

Do you know? Tim Shipman denied Bridgen was the source of his quotes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    May is clearly the PM the voters want now to negotiate the Deal with the EU rather than Corbyn or an ERG backed candidate. If she did face a No confidence vote I expect she would win it with over 60% of Tory MPs backing her. At the end of the day less than a third of Tory MPs are affiliated to the ERG
  • Options
    A few weeks ago JohnO and myself spent an afternoon denouncing Andrea Jenkyns and Andrew Bridgen as being the worst Tory MPs out there.

We might have to revise our opinion and put Steve Baker atop that list.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited October 2018

May dropped another big hint that she's preparing for a second referendum there by ruling it out "at this stage of the negotiations".

Looks like if No Deal May could indeed consider EUref2 but she is clearly doing her upmost to ensure no hard border in Ireland and secure the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period
  • Options

kle4 said:

I will not reveal who I am confident is involved.
  • Options

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

Gina Miller?
    Was that quite the same thing? That case did not proscribe how parliament went about authorising the notification of A50, the procedure of it (though IIRC did provide an example of how it could) only that parliament needed to do that authorising. Whereas this would be to rule on a matter of procedure and not a question of if the government has the power to take specific actions?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited October 2018

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

They were willing to set parameters in R v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.

Understandable if the Aussie media didn't cover the story.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Bridgen and Baker have attacked the abuse. I am sure they can see the damage it has caused to ERG
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    1. Margin of error stuff. But
    2. The way negotiations have gone isn't, I wouldn't think, convincing wavering leavers that this is a big group of friendly nations that we really ought to be part of.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, ha, your denouncing comment made me think of this:
    https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/1054280691654053888
  • Options

I'm calling it now.

(And for El_Capitano)

They were willing to set parameters in R v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.

Understandable if the Aussie media didn't cover the story.
    I am in the UK, thanks.

The Miller case was not about Parliamentary procedure, it was a matter of the powers of the executive as against Parliament. There is a timless Convention that Courts do not interfere (and in fact have no rights to interfere) in Parliamentary procedure. The meaningful vote issues relate entirely to this and will not be subject to Court challenge.
This discussion has been closed.