Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dismantling Obamacare could be what undermines Trump and the G

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

Alistair said:

Indiana purged at least 20,000 voters in direct contravention of a federal Court order. Potential as many as 450,000.

I'm glad I live in Britain.

As I've posted before, the Cameron government's use of similar Republican-inspired ruses led directly to losing the EU referendum and ending the Cameroon hegemony. The reduction in seats is part of that which is still in play.

Purge the rolls (disproportionately purging Remainers, though this was not the intention, which was to make Labour areas seem smaller).
    Reduce House to 600 MPs so that every constituency must be redrawn.
    Redraw boundaries on the new, Labour-light rolls.
    Result: more seats in Conservative areas; fewer in Labour areas.
    You may have posted it before, but that doesn't make it right ...

What is your non-partisan (ha!) alternative?
    You are missing the point. It is history, not advocacy. Brexit may or may not be a good thing; likewise Conservative governments. That was the plan. Losing the referendum was the result.
    It isn't 'history'; it's your opinion. The link you've made in the past between the changes and the Brexit referendum aren't that strong or convincing, at least to me.
    Remember the voter recruitment drive and the last-minute extensions to the registration deadline? It is clear Number 10 had made the connection. The Leavers did too, since they opposed the extension.
    Yes, I do. But that's not evidence, yet alone proof, of your claim.

Just because you want it to be true, doesn't make it true.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I note my prediction yesterday morning has come to pass, albeit a few hours late. 9am R4 news bulletin saw Downing St spokesman confirm that any customs union would be time limited.

Good.

I'll offer you a further prediction, that the time limit will be hedged in interesting ways, essentially coming down to "can end by mutual agreement".
    Then no deal. We cannot be tied into a customs union. That would be a humiliation for a sovereign nation.
    What is humiliating about entering into a voluntary agreement? Governments have done it all the time throughout history.
    Nothing, but you have to have trust and there is no sign of that
    I am sure the EU are as frustrated by our government's indecision as most of us are, but I don't think we have got to the stage they positively distrust us yet.
    There have been indications and statements that they do not trust us
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I note my prediction yesterday morning has come to pass, albeit a few hours late. 9am R4 news bulletin saw Downing St spokesman confirm that any customs union would be time limited.

Good.

I'll offer you a further prediction, that the time limit will be hedged in interesting ways, essentially coming down to "can end by mutual agreement".
    Then no deal. We cannot be tied into a customs union. That would be a humiliation for a sovereign nation.
    Oh dear, the headbanging Leavers have been at the cooking sherry a bit early this morning.
    In their customary aspirational manner the headbangers will be more offended at the suggestion that it might be cooking sherry rather than the finest products of Andalucian bodegas.
    Surely drinking anything other than british wine would be 'a humiliation for a sovereign nation'? :wink:

British wine is imported concentrate which is then bottled in the UK.

I think you mean English, Welsh or Scottish wine which is he real thing.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

What about NI staying in the SM during that period? I'm not clear on whether that's currently part of May's plan or not.
    No news on that in the bulletin.... I think we'll know as soon as the DUP do, they're very good at getting press releases out.
    Isn't that what they've been sabre-rattling about this week?
    Yep; but matters have been slightly confused because there was also Brexiteer objection to a mooted permanent Customs Union.
    I think May is now in the Trumpian position of agreeing with the last person she spoke to. When it's the EU, the backstop is permanent. When it's a Leaver, it's temporary
    It is not a leaver, it is her cabinet and she has no choice but to accept their collective view or the cabinet will seek her resignation
    That is a choice. Just one she's chosen not to make
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Oh dear, the headbanging Leavers have been at the cooking sherry a bit early this morning.
    In their customary aspirational manner the headbangers will be more offended at the suggestion that it might be cooking sherry rather than the finest products of Andalucian bodegas.
    Surely drinking anything other than british wine would be 'a humiliation for a sovereign nation'? :wink:
    There's always Buckfast I guess..
    'fraid not... made with imported red wine iirc.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

What about NI staying in the SM during that period? I'm not clear on whether that's currently part of May's plan or not.
    No news on that in the bulletin.... I think we'll know as soon as the DUP do, they're very good at getting press releases out.
    Yep; but matters have been slightly confused because there was also Brexiteer objection to a mooted permanent Customs Union.
    I think May is now in the Trumpian position of agreeing with the last person she spoke to. When it's the EU, the backstop is permanent. When it's a Leaver, it's temporary
    It is not a leaver, it is her cabinet and she has no choice but to accept their collective view or the cabinet will seek her resignation
    ... and then do what excatly? There are no happy choices for the Tories beyond sticking with May.
    Not if she cannot get collective cabinet responsibility
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Lovely, not 11 yet and already we are at headbangers. Couple of days ago some poster or other was bemoaning Leavers for their failure to reach out to Remainers over the past two years.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

British wine is imported concentrate which is then bottled in the UK.

I think you mean English, Welsh or Scottish wine which is he real thing.
    You're right of course. British wine is an abomination. English wine however is usually pretty good. Not tried Welsh or Scottish.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

But she has accepted the back stop has to be time limited
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

... and then do what excatly? There are no happy choices for the Tories beyond sticking with May.
    Not if she cannot get collective cabinet responsibility
    She could always follow Corbyn's approach and keep sacking cabinet members until she ends up with a set who will support her. :lol:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. 86, I suspect the whole paddock is wary of such things, after what happened to Kubica.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

You feel humiliated if you want to. But in the real world it will make no difference to anyone - except to save a lot of jobs.

That said, this is a backstop not a final arrangement. It would last until there is a deal, so it is inevitably time-limited.
  • Options
    What is the point of paying the EU £40bn in a withdrawal bill and still remaining in the single market and the customs union?
  • Options
    trawl said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Lovely, not 11 yet and already we are at headbangers. Couple of days ago some poster or other was bemoaning Leavers for their failure to reach out to Remainers over the past two years.

I can assure you 'twasn't me bemoaning it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

F1: George Russell will be driving for Williams next year:
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeRussell63/status/1050679444422180864

He looks about 12.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

But she has accepted the back stop has to be time limited
    Yep. But when the EU says no, what set of contortions will she go through next?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

There's always Buckfast I guess..
    'fraid not... made with imported red wine iirc.
    I hear the sound of Unionist jakeball hearts breaking across Glasgow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

What is the point of paying the EU £40bn in a withdrawal bill and still remaining in the single market and the customs union?

The point of it all is to get May through to the end of each day.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018

Mortimer said:

Good.

The EU suggests NI staying in the SM permanently to make a frictionless border with Ireland but a friction border with the rest of the UK (the main route for NI trade).
  • Options
    For me the real national humiliation is that the whole world can see what an incompetent bunch of charlatans we allow to run our country. It reflects very poorly on us that we all know they’re crap but we do nothing about it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

No point - next question
  • Options

He looks about 12.
    He's very. very good. He won the F4 series a few years back, came third in F3 a year later, won GP3 last year, and is leading F2 this year - and likely to win.

You don't get that sort of record without serious talent, even with a good car.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

What is humiliating about entering into a voluntary agreement? Governments have done it all the time throughout history.
    But th UK could only leave with the agreement of the EU. The UK would be a Vasal state.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Indiana purged at least 20,000 voters in direct contravention of a federal Court order. Potential as many as 450,000.

As I've posted before, the Cameron government's use of similar Republican-inspired ruses led directly to losing the EU referendum and ending the Cameroon hegemony.
    Likewise Labour's ruse of purging long-term overseas residents.

When two dogs are fighting for a bone etc etc.
    Labour should make polling day a national holiday
    Not another one!

• Options

He looks about 12.
    He's very. very good. He won the F4 series a few years back, came third in F3 a year later, won GP3 last year, and is leading F2 this year - and likely to win.

You don't get that sort of record without serious talent, even with a good car.
    I don't doubt his ability.

Just whether he is old enough for a licence....
  • Options
    BREAKING Guido sources say PM will be making a public statement later today that UK will not agree to be trapped permanently in a customs union in any circumstances. Kick back on @bbclaurak report was firm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

After meeting Arlene Foster, Gibralter's Chief Minister Fabian Picardo says he stands with Northern Ireland and the Union

https://mobile.twitter.com/FabianPicardo/status/1050460445151322112

Gibraltar's Chief Minister is very impressive.

He performed exceptionally well at a Select Committee of parliament.

Would make a good PM for the UK.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    tlg86 said:

@Morris_Dancer - I see Red Bull wouldn't let Max Verstappen have a go on a MotoGP bike:

http://motogpnews.com/2018/10/11/verstappen-denied-motogp-outing-by-red-bull/

Schumacher had a go and wasn't that good. He raced a few rounds of the German production series too and wasn't that good in that. I also recall Alonso having a stab at Motegi and he was decent within the limits of the demonstration tyres. The demonstration tyres are as hard as a brick to stop the teams getting any useful data out of running them.,
  • Options

BREAKING Guido sources say PM will be making a public statement later today that UK will not agree to be trapped permanently in a customs union in any circumstances. Kick back on @bbclaurak report was firm.

Cabinet won't wear it, even if she was prepared to.

She is in a very weak place.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Not trapped permanently: Does anyone else see some wriggle room there?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

For me the real national humiliation is that the whole world can see what an incompetent bunch of charlatans we allow to run our country. It reflects very poorly on us that we all know they’re crap but we do nothing about it.

I know you've been entirely consistent on this and were smart enough to call the referendum result, proving you are far more in tune with ordinary people than some of the supercilious sneerers we hear from.

But I see it differently. Yes, the govt hasn't covered itself in glory; May has proved an indecisive leader and the ERG a confused mess of disparate voices. But, I think many people across the world will be envious at how open and fractious our politics are, and how assertive us Brits are in debating the future of our democracy, no matter how wise or unwise the outcome will be.

Brexit has forced, and will continue to force, very many politicians and civil servants off their arses; demanding that they think clearly about building a better future for people (particularly the forgotten working classes), without the comfort of the 'EU prevents us from doing so...' refrain.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889
    The Siena College polls show further movement today, in Tennessee and Texas, to the Republicans, who have leads of 14% and 8% respectively.

North Dakota now looks as though it will be a Republican gain, West Virginia a Democratic hold, and the other toss-ups remain toss-ups.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

@Morris_Dancer - I see Red Bull wouldn't let Max Verstappen have a go on a MotoGP bike:

Schumacher had a go and wasn't that good. He raced a few rounds of the German production series too and wasn't that good in that. I also recall Alonso having a stab at Motegi and he was decent within the limits of the demonstration tyres. The demonstration tyres are as hard as a brick to stop the teams getting any useful data out of running them.,
    I think it's unlikely that John Surtees's achievement will ever be repeated.
  • Options

Yeah, Nick Palmer may be right that she's going to tie it to some conditions instead of time
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

You feel humiliated if you want to. But in the real world it will make no difference to anyone - except to save a lot of jobs.

That said, this is a backstop not a final arrangement. It would last until there is a deal, so it is inevitably time-limited.
    But how many decades will elapse before there is a deal? And what incentive will the EU or the Irish republic have to agree to one? The transition will effectively become permanent. Which would suit the EU just fine (Norway has technically been in a "transitional" position for more than 20 years IIRC).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

https://twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/1050675642763595776?s=21
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Alastair

Yes the daily spectacle of hardline young fogey book wallahs and Brit Nat Australians telling us what’s good for us brings joy to my life, I look forward to it every morning.
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited October 2018
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Surprise surprise.. all the negativity posted about dire consequences of brexit proves to be with little or no foundation..
    Way too early to say
    Actually it’s not.

“The UK's financial sector could lose more than 200,000 jobs after Brexit, experts have warned.

Xavier Rolet, chief executive of the London Stock Exchange Group (LSE), said two thirds of the job losses would be felt outside Greater London, with the blow coming as soon as Article 50 is triggered. ”

A50 has been triggered, the jobs haven’t been lost, it’s not too early to point that out.
    Cheap point scoring helps no-one. It is hardly consolation if the impact on real jobs and real lives comes after we leave. So it's too early to say.
    I am not scoring a point I am point out a fact. If you forecast rain at midday, and it still hasn't rained by 1pm, it's not too early to say the forecast was wrong
  • Options

Unless it turns out May was working to remain in the EU all along and has manipulated the situation brilliantly by salami slicing Brexit until there was nothing left.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Indeed, we can leave in 50 years’ time.
  • Options

Alistair said:

As I've posted before, the Cameron government's use of similar Republican-inspired ruses led directly to losing the EU referendum and ending the Cameroon hegemony.
    Likewise Labour's ruse of purging long-term overseas residents.

When two dogs are fighting for a bone etc etc.
    Labour should make polling day a national holiday
    Not another one!

It'd be popular, it'd help them get more of their voters out, and it's expanding the franchise rather than disenfranchising. Win-win-win from their perspective.
  • Options

If Penny Mordaunt doesn't resign, it will prove her bark is worse than her bite, and she will be a standing reproach to nominative determinism.

My favourite example of that was Lord. Justice Judge.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

I think it's unlikely that John Surtees's achievement will ever be repeated.
    The disciplines are too specialised now. Marquez and Lorenzo, who are superlative motorcycle racers with 11 world championships between, have both done F1 test drives and been nowhere near the pace.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

But th UK could only leave with the agreement of the EU. The UK would be a Vasal state.
    As we're often told, Parliament is sovereign, so we could quite easily abrogate any such agreement in the future.
    Of course there would be consequences - but there would likely be a set of very similar consequences if we simply exercised a unilateral option to leave a customs union arrangement.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

When you enter an agreement, how the agreement is to be ended is part of the agreement.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

If Penny Mordaunt doesn't resign, it will prove her bark is worse than her bite, and she will be a standing reproach to nominative determinism.

I'm going to name my next child 'nominative determinism researcher' as an experiment.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Alistair said:

As I've posted before, the Cameron government's use of similar Republican-inspired ruses led directly to losing the EU referendum and ending the Cameroon hegemony. The reduction in seats is part of that which is still in play.

Purge the rolls (disproportionately purging Remainers, though this was not the intention, which was to make Labour areas seem smaller).

You are missing the point. It is history, not advocacy. Brexit may or may not be a good thing; likewise Conservative governments. That was the plan. Losing the referendum was the result.
    It isn't 'history'; it's your opinion. The link you've made in the past between the changes and the Brexit referendum aren't that strong or convincing, at least to me.
    Remember the voter recruitment drive and the last-minute extensions to the registration deadline? It is clear Number 10 had made the connection. The Leavers did too, since they opposed the extension.

It is evidence, even if not proof. But suppose I am wrong -- surely that would just mean it was a different Cameroon wheeze that cost them victory because the registration drive recruited mainly Leavers. That sounds far less likely. I was right first time.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    Off topic and if I may flex my reactionary muscles for a moment.

I spotted the new mural referred to in the below link for the first time yesterday.

Linking injustices and atrocities of very different sizes, times and places is something I am quite keen on. How power behaves and how it is limited or abetted by authority is pretty much a common thread from slavery, famines, and massacres, and across gender, sexuality, class or racial justice struggles, from before The Harrying of the North to suffragism to Windrush and beyond.

Writing the working classes of Lancashire out of Peterloo, however, is very much not how to make such a link and is not OK.

https://phm.org.uk/axelvoid/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

As we're often told, Parliament is sovereign, so we could quite easily abrogate any such agreement in the future.
    Of course there would be consequences - but there would likely be a set of very similar consequences if we simply exercised a unilateral option to leave a customs union arrangement.
    There is a rather significant difference between abrogating a treaty that doesn't provide for a unilateral withdrawal and exercising a unilateral withdrawal provision of a treaty....
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, et al, in protest at an ID card scheme (I think), a huge number of Mongolian men renamed themselves Genghis Khan about a decade ago.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Off topic and if I may flex my reactionary muscles for a moment.

I spotted the new mural referred to in the below link for the first time yesterday.

Linking injustices and atrocities of very different sizes, times and places is something I am quite keen on. How power behaves and how it is limited or abetted by authority is pretty much a common thread from slavery, famines, and massacres, and across gender, sexuality, class or racial justice struggles, from before The Harrying of the North to suffragism to Windrush and beyond.

Writing the working classes of Lancashire out of Peterloo, however, is very much not how to make such a link and is not OK.

https://phm.org.uk/axelvoid/

Being slaughtered by cavalry is an order of magnitude worse than being wrongly scheduled for deportation. As you say, it should be about the Peterloo massacre, not modern politics.
  • Options

Mr. 86, I suspect the whole paddock is wary of such things, after what happened to Kubica.

Hamilton had a brief go fairly recently:
    https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/966400089391448064?lang=en
  • Options
    BBC reporting conservative mps opposed to TM are openly talking about how to replace her

I got an idea - just put in your letters to Graham Brady

Like so much of ERG they are all talk but little substance
  • Options

Alistair said:

It is evidence, even if not proof. But suppose I am wrong -- surely that would just mean it was a different Cameroon wheeze that cost them victory because the registration drive recruited mainly Leavers. That sounds far less likely. I was right first time.
    No, you were not.

For one thing, it's stupid to think that only one thing 'led directly' to the loss: the referendum was very multi-faceted, and the reasons people voted, yet alone the side they voted for, are complex.

You are just trying to make a political point using an (IMO) false conclusion.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    I see that the response to all the stresses caused by the arbitrary deadline of A50 is to insist that any future arrangements have arbitrary deadlines. Genius.
  • Options

Alistair said:

No, you were not.

For one thing, it's stupid to think that only one thing 'led directly' to the loss: the referendum was very multi-faceted, and the reasons people voted, yet alone the side they voted for, are complex.

You are just trying to make a political point using an (IMO) false conclusion.
    Changes to the registration process weren't worth a net 1.3 m votes.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm going to name my next child 'nominative determinism researcher' as an experiment.
    I'm going with 'billionaire who loves their aged parent'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That looks more like Mad Madam Mim from Disney's Sword in the Stone.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

BBC reporting conservative mps opposed to TM are openly talking about how to replace her

I got an idea - just put in your letters to Graham Brady

Like so much of ERG they are all talk but little substance

Difficult to speculate as we haven't seen the details of the deal.

But nothing is agreed until everything is agreed - including the £39Bn.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

With my surname, I should have been a really nasty litigator, rather than a probate solicitor.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hamilton had a brief go fairly recently:
    https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/966400089391448064?lang=en
    Yeah, on a production bike on a kart track (Chukwalla)!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

UK will be licking EU boots, total capitulation , just as Tories planned so they can then have another vote to go back in.
  • Options

Sky news trying to make a big event out of this royal wedding when in truth it is of little interest to most, indeed the crowds are wafer thin

I'm no supporter of the Royals (far from it) but I hope the weather in Windsor is a lot kinder to the happy couple than it is here in Dorset at the moment. Bit of a shock to come back to after 10 days in Andalucia!
    Seems to be but very windy. We are about to be hit by storm Callum

Hope you enjoyed your holiday
    Been howling here all night
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, intentions are not sufficient, the temporary or permanent nature of any such proposal must be clear in black and white.

Mr. G, some Conservatives may want that. I did say a while ago that we might get a departure so atrocious that a second referendum is held where the options are Remain or Leave With The Worst Deal Since Jovian's Negotiation With The Persians.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

UK will be licking EU boots, total capitulation , just as Tories planned so they can then have another vote to go back in.
    Sets a precedent for referendums malc - one isn't enough to leave. Have to win 2 in a row.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Shiw us how to do it Makc. You've been.licking Nicola,'s boots forever
  • Options

yes 20 or 30 years later we may come out.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, intentions are not sufficient, the temporary or permanent nature of any such proposal must be clear in black and white.

Mr. G, some Conservatives may want that. I did say a while ago that we might get a departure so atrocious that a second referendum is held where the options are Remain or Leave With The Worst Deal Since Jovian's Negotiation With The Persians.

If that was the choice a minimum turn out level of say 75% should be enforced. With all sensible leavers staying at home.
  • Options
    Just been on Sky confirming her support for TM
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I am impatiently awaiting my inheritance.
  • Options

Just been on Sky confirming her support for TM
    so really considering it then
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I am impatiently awaiting my inheritance.
    I hope my children aren't thinking that way !!!!!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763

So NI backstop with Irish Sea checks kicks iin when we leave the CU. Either way it's hypothetical. It's a question of what we say we agree to. It doesn't have anything to do what actually happens.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), any change to the approach taken in 2016 will be seen by many to make such a (secondary) result unfair/illegitimate.

Imposing a turnout filter when there wasn't one in the first referendum could justifiably be criticised as unfair.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Come on @Charles please, please let your prophecy come true, please let it be Leadsom.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

You stupid cretin, we don't lick anyone's boots up here , the people are sovereign , not grovelling subjects like halfwitted dullards such as yourself. She has only been there 5 minutes and if she does not do the business she will be out on her arse , no snivelling grovelling bunch of wobbly jellies like the Tories.
    Westminstrer Tories will stay at ground level with tongues extended.
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), any change to the approach taken in 2016 will be seen by many to make such a (secondary) result unfair/illegitimate.

Imposing a turnout filter when there wasn't one in the first referendum could justifiably be criticised as unfair.

Then the question needs to be binary - "do you support signing this deal Y/N"

• Options
    F1: for those who missed it, I've backed Bottas each way to win at 8.5 (half a point higher with boost). He's qualified 1st and 2nd recently and finished 2nd twice. Seems reasonable.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Sets a precedent for referendums malc - one isn't enough to leave. Have to win 2 in a row.
    We only need win the second one Harry and it is coming
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

You stupid cretin, we don't lick anyone's boots up here , the people are sovereign , not grovelling subjects like halfwitted dullards such as yourself. She has only been there 5 minutes and if she does not do the business she will be out on her arse , no snivelling grovelling bunch of wobbly jellies like the Tories.
    Lie down dear. Have a nice cup of tea. You’ll soon feel better!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited October 2018
    Mr b,

"As we're often told, Parliament is sovereign,"

A very good point. In voting for the referendum, Parliament abrogated it's responsibility to the voters, deciding this decision was too important to be left to mere representatives, rather than the voters themselves. Just because some MPs didn't like the result is no reason to try to change it. If they fail to leave, they will fail to carry out a direct promise to the electorate, do you still expect any credibility to remain?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Sean_F said:

Cardinal Sin?
  • Options
    Is Brexit currently fucked or probably going to be ok? I'm losing track.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Your responses are as consistent and colourful as ever Malc
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine."
  • Options
    That is cruel. Funny. But cruel.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    TOPPING said:

Come on @Charles please, please let your prophecy come true, please let it be Leadsom.
    If we’re war gaming resignations:

If Leadsom goes I suspect Mordaunt and McVey would follow.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    Dura_Ace said:

So is Theresa!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Rudd back in immediately thereafter.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Good.

Lie down dear. Have a nice cup of tea. You’ll soon feel better!
    Long ago Malc and I made our peace, and I believe I am one tory that he seems to think is ok but of course being married to a Scots lass for 55 years does help
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cardinal Sin?
    Oh yes, and I suppose the opposite of nominative determinism would be Archbishop Warlock.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Up shit creek without the proverbial. I think she might actually be less competent than Liam Fox, so I can't say my heart would break if she threw herself on her sword.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

While I rarely respond to colourful language I would say it is anybody's guess
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Rudd back in immediately thereafter.
    Hope so
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Dura_Ace said:

Yes! No! Maybe!

That is you up to date. You now know as much as anyone else.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Good result if Leadsom goes. I'm brighter than her and I'm a knuckle-scraper.
This discussion has been closed.