Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By 55% to 37% women say Kavanagh’s Supreme Court nomination sh

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

One good idea that is being suggested is, quoting the BBC. 'Middle-class drug users will be targeted as part of a crackdown on the causes of violent crime, Home Secretary Sajid Javid will announce.’
    Why Upper-class users should be exempt, I’ve no idea, but the basic idea is sound. If there are no customers.....

Demand side measures are better than supply side. They could start by hanging Freddie Pargiter

Hangings too good for him. Make him go live with Lily and Russ in Manchester.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    There’s a new thread and the first is there for the grabbing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s something similar to the USA/Canada Trusted Trader scheme, which operates along long unmanned sections of their shared border.

Regular border crossers fill in a form online with details of truck and cargo, paying taxes and tarrifs as appropriate. Occasional crossers can either register for the scheme or use the existing self-assessment procedures for VAT to square duties. Police and customs in the border region stop vehicles based on intelligence (as they do now) but there are no checks at the border. No physical border infrastructure is required except for the existing ANPR cameras that read numberplates of vehicles crossing the border, again as they do now.

Do you have a link explaining this? I googled it up and the what I'm seeing doesn't seem to match your description at all - it seems like there are lots of areas without physical barriers, but if you try to cross there you'll get arrested - see https://www.quora.com/Are-there-really-parts-of-the-US–Canada-border-that-are-unprotected
    Canada have a scheme of registered travellers who are allowed to cross borders in rural areas. https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html

The main difference between this border and Ireland is that policing of the border in Ireland is only necessary for goods, not for people who are covered by the Common Travel Area agreement which isn’t changing.
  • Options

Allegations of rape or ATTEMPTED rape? Big difference that Mike's post should change if incorrect

Ford accused Kavanaugh of attempted rape, but the other accusations are of rape
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Sandpit said:

One good idea that is being suggested is, quoting the BBC. 'Middle-class drug users will be targeted as part of a crackdown on the causes of violent crime, Home Secretary Sajid Javid will announce.’
    Why Upper-class users should be exempt, I’ve no idea, but the basic idea is sound. If there are no customers.....

Drugs policy is a mess. It either needs to be like Portugal and Amsterdam or like Dubai and Bangkok.

That said, a few high-profile middle-class people in court for cocaine, which has become pretty much acceptable in many social groups, might make people with a lot to lose think twice before indulging.
    Wonder if the crackdown will begin at Party conferences? This has Back to Basics written all over it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Anger will get us everywhere.

Where the f*ck are the grown ups?

And there are fools who think this non-entity will be next Tory leader. What a tool he is! Lay him!!
    I think even Mrs Hunt would balk at that
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,761
    tlg86 said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to annoy @SeanT, here's a piece on Kavanaugh vs Ford that's worth a read:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/how-we-know-kavanaugh-is-lying

I didn’t find that piece convincing tbh.

Intriguing though what @Alistair posted earlier - that the Republican identified someone else for the attack *who was dating Ford at the time* and who was a regular companion to Kavanaugh

If Kavanaugh was the attacker then attacking a mates girlfriend is particularly brazen

If the other person was I could see how the transference could work in Ford’s mind: she’s obviously not stupid enough to date someone who would attack her so it must have been someone else. Probably that drunken buffoon her boyfriend hangs out with.
    Convoluted. Did you work backwards from your desired outcome?
    No. I find it curious that the person who the Republican investigator identified was her boyfriend. But I know nothing about the quality or otherwise of their investigation.

There’s been no evidence that Javanaygh (sic) committed this attack beyond “he drank a lot and hung out with a group of kids”.
    So you completely dismiss Dr. Ford's testimony ?
    For some it is very simple: Republicans right, Democrat wrong. The truth needs to be fitted around that, no matter how bent it becomes.
    I agree. What proof do you have that a Kavanaugh attacked Dr Ford?
    You don't need proof. This is about the court of public opinion. Kavanagh was very unlucky that his accuser turned out to be so believable. If you were casting the witness who exposes the corrupt judge she would get the part without needing a recall. What's more if you got Reginald Rose to write her testimony he couldn't have done a better job.
    And that’s where I have a problem with how this has been handled. I do t like the politicisation of judicial appointments but, equally, this one has been particularly egregious

The selection itself was highly partisan. It will tip the balance on SCOTUS definitively to the right for decades to come. Trump did not have to select Kavanaugh in the first place. When he did, it was inevitable the process would become highly politicised.

Would you be making the same complaint if Hillary was POTUS and doing the same thing?
    Merrick Garland was hardly a partisan nominee.
This discussion has been closed.