Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Demographics Two. The Big Drag

Comments

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    48 votes for certain, then. That leaves Manchin, Collins, Murkowski, and Heller to determine the outcome.
    Kavanagh is fortunate indeed that his nomination has taken place so close to the mid-terms. If it had happened a year ago, there would have been plenty of time to find an alternative conservative justice.
    There still is (well, not 'plenty of time', but enough). Trump has his shortlist and there's the rest of the year in which to confirm someone before the new congress sits.
    As Cory Booker pointed out, Kavanaugh was not on Trump's list and seems to have been nominated for his opinion that presidents cannot be indicted while in office. That, and the corruption angle Harris was pursuing, might have made more interesting viewing.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed then it will be interesting to see if it has an effect on voting with the midterms imminent.

America is in a dark, dark place. And they have guns.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:
    That judicial activism is a bitch when it’s not for things you agree with.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    48 votes for certain, then. That leaves Manchin, Collins, Murkowski, and Heller to determine the outcome.
    Kavanagh is fortunate indeed that his nomination has taken place so close to the mid-terms. If it had happened a year ago, there would have been plenty of time to find an alternative conservative justice.
    There still is (well, not 'plenty of time', but enough). Trump has his shortlist and there's the rest of the year in which to confirm someone before the new congress sits.
    As Cory Booker pointed out, Kavanaugh was not on Trump's list and seems to have been nominated for his opinion that presidents cannot be indicted while in office. That, and the corruption angle Harris was pursuing, might have made more interesting viewing.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed then it will be interesting to see if it has an effect on voting with the midterms imminent.

It was fully on show yesterday. A country in serious decline and a threat to economic stability
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Polling shows how stark the divide is. Democrats overwhelmingly believe the allegations and Republicans overwhelmingly disbelieve them - and in reality, neither side really cares if they're true or not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    "Dark money" bingo !
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

It was fully on show yesterday. A country in serious decline and a threat to economic stability

I genuinely do not see how it holds together. I was at a conference in Sweden earlier this week and it was amazing how everyone took the US's decline for granted - it is putting up walls and driving the world away. It really isn't a country we should be tying ourselves to.

• Options
    Incidentally, Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian War (or Donald Kagan's single volume modern history thereof) is quite interesting because it has some similar factionalism within cities, whereby moderation is viewed as cowardice and stabbing people in the back 'for the cause' is wildly praised.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

stodge said:

European markets tanking. Something to do with risky Italian banks

And Norway's government in crisis. Seems to be the norm these days

Oddly enough, the CAC, DAX and MiB have all rallied off their mid-afternoon lows as soon as you said the markets were "tanking".

Hmm....
    Not much change since I last looked. Italian assets being hammered - Bloomberg commentator saying there will be an orderly or disorderly break up of the eurozone or a constant eurozone crisis. Even saying Italy may just leave the eurozone
    Hey, Bloomberg has me on to comment from time-to-time, so you shouldn't take commentators too seriously :)

The issue is that the Italian government (which, by the way has the worst demographics in Western Europe) has targeted a budget deficit above what is allowed under the Growth & Stability Pact, i.e. 2.4% of GDP. (And note, Italian governments have a tendency to be optimistic.)

This means that Italian government bond yields have shot out (5 years have increased 32 basis points that 2.23%), as investors worry that either:

a) the ECB will cease support for Italian government debt
    or
    b) Italy will leave the Eurozone

Bond yields are still pretty low by historic standards, so right now (a) looks the dominant concern.

Now, rising Italian bond yields mean that the cost of funding for Italian banks increases, and makes them less profitable. (Which, by the way increases the likelihood they will need a bailout, which further stuffs Italian government finances.)

There are two possible outcomes from here. First is the Eurofudge, where Italy agrees to reduce its planned deficit to (say) 2.2%, and the ECB supports it, and everyone claims victory. Second is where neither the Italian government nor the ECB wants to compromise. The ECB stops buying Italian government bonds, and then yields shoot out. This creates a cycle where banks can't fund themselves, the government can't borrow, and - potentially - Italy leave the Eurozone in a rapid and disorganised manner.

Right now, the first option still looks the most likely. But I suspect the markets are mispricing the tail risk.
  • Options
    Europe looking at a 4 - 0 total victory this pm

End of day likely 5 - 3 to Europe. US team utter rubbish this pm
  • Options

Europe looking at a 4 - 0 total victory this pm

End of day likely 5 - 3 to Europe. US team utter rubbish this pm

Christmas will be cancelled in Chez Urquhart if US Team do this for the rest of the weekend....
  • Options
    notme said:

Scott_P said:
    Roe vs Wade poisoned America. Much better that individual states legalised (or prohibited) abortion through the ballot box.
  • Options
    High approval for the Italian Gov't.

Italy, EMG poll:

Approval ratings (PM+party leaders)

Salvini (LEGA-ENF): 52% (+1)
    Conte (*-*): 47%
    Di Maio (M5S-EFDD): 46% (-1)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I genuinely do not see how it holds together. I was at a conference in Sweden earlier this week and it was amazing how everyone took the US's decline for granted - it is putting up walls and driving the world away. It really isn't a country we should be tying ourselves to.

Unlike an economic block that is currently quite happy to garrotte us in order to warn others of the danger of leaving. Naive people thought of the other EU member states as our friends, I just saw them as our competitors. Now I see them as enemies.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited September 2018
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Oddly enough, the CAC, DAX and MiB have all rallied off their mid-afternoon lows as soon as you said the markets were "tanking".

Hmm....
    Not much change since I last looked. Italian assets being hammered - Bloomberg commentator saying there will be an orderly or disorderly break up of the eurozone or a constant eurozone crisis. Even saying Italy may just leave the eurozone
    Hey, Bloomberg has me on to comment from time-to-time, so you shouldn't take commentators too seriously :)

The issue is that the Italian government (which, by the way has the worst demographics in Western Europe) has targeted a budget deficit above what is allowed under the Growth & Stability Pact, i.e. 2.4% of GDP. (And note, Italian governments have a tendency to be optimistic.)

This means that Italian government bond yields have shot out (5 years have increased 32 basis points that 2.23%), as investors worry that either:

or

Bond yields are still pretty low by historic standards, so right now (a) looks the dominant concern.

Now, rising Italian bond yields mean that the cost of funding for Italian banks increases, and makes them less profitable. (Which, by the way increases the likelihood they will need a bailout, which further stuffs Italian government finances.)

There are two possible outcomes from here. First is the Eurofudge, where Italy agrees to reduce its planned deficit to (say) 2.2%, and the ECB supports it, and everyone claims victory. Second is where neither the Italian government nor the ECB wants to compromise. The ECB stops buying Italian government bonds, and then yields shoot out. This creates a cycle where banks can't fund themselves, the government can't borrow, and - potentially - Italy leave the Eurozone in a rapid and disorganised manner.

Right now, the first option still looks the most likely. But I suspect the markets are mispricing the tail risk.
    I really appreciate your insight which is very interesting.

All my family love Italy from the first time I drove them from North Wales to Venice in the early 1980's with our three children to last year when we all went to Cortona (10 of us) and further cruises during this last year. The Italians are fabulous with families and children, generous and just great to be with, apart from their driving.

I really hope Italy gets out of it's troubles, the people deserve it
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Incidentally, Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian War (or Donald Kagan's single volume modern history thereof) is quite interesting because it has some similar factionalism within cities, whereby moderation is viewed as cowardice and stabbing people in the back 'for the cause' is wildly praised.

ah Mr D?

I have recently got into a war game called Field of Glory II - battles range from circa 680BC to 500 AD.

I do hope this isn't to modern a period for you, but are you able to recommend any decent books about the wars and battles of that era?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    Roe vs Wade poisoned America. Much better that individual states legalised (or prohibited) abortion through the ballot box.
    I absolutely agree. Total over reach. It’s not what the Supreme Court is supposed to be for. Maybe abortion was the first symptom of the Culture Wars?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    4-0.....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Hmm....

TS

or

Bond yields are still pretty low by historic standards, so right now (a) looks the IONconcern.P

I really appreciate your insight which is very interesting.

All my family love Italy from the first time I drove them from North Wales to Venice in the early 1980's with our three children to last year when we all went to Cortona (10 of us) and further cruises during this last year. The Italians are fabulous with families and children, generous and just great to be with, apart from their driving.

I really hope Italy gets out of it's troubles, the people deserve it
    heartily agree, with one glaring exception in Venice (yes Avis I mean you) - we found them, warm, generous and helpful.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited September 2018
    Mr. Floater, that's a pretty broad range of time (nearly coincides with the start and end of the Western Roman Empire).

The Punic Wars, particularly the Second, are well worth looking at. TA Dodge's biography/military history Hannibal is excellent (for ancient sources check out Livy and Polybius. Livy is more entertaining and complete, Polybius more neutral and accurate, though his account ends a bit early).

Dodge also wrote a similar book called Alexander. The Diadochi era (massive and long set of wars following Alexander's premature death) is fascinating but it's tricky finding a book that covers the whole thing. James Romm's[sp] Ghost on the Throne is very good, though.

Now I come to think of it, I wrote a couple of blogs (link the first in this one) with classical recommendations for beginners and intermediates:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2016/06/classical-history-for-intermediates.html

Edited extra bit: obviously I'm using the broadest definition of 'empire' above, including the regal and republican periods.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Listening this afternoon the US is descending into a sewer. The hard right republicans are disgusting
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Mr. Floater, that's a pretty broad range of time (nearly coincides with the start and end of the Western Roman Empire).

The Punic Wars, particularly the Second, are well worth looking at. TA Dodge's biography/military history Hannibal is excellent (for ancient sources check out Livy and Polybius. Livy is more entertaining and complete, Polybius more neutral and accurate, though his account ends a bit early).

Dodge also wrote a similar book called Alexander. The Diadochi era (massive and long set of wars following Alexander's premature death) is fascinating but it's tricky finding a book that covers the whole thing. James Romm's[sp] Ghost on the Throne is very good, though.

Now I come to think of it, I wrote a couple of blogs (link the first in this one) with classical recommendations for beginners and intermediates:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2016/06/classical-history-for-intermediates.html

Edited extra bit: obviously I'm using the broadest definition of 'empire' above, including the regal and republican periods.

In the Name of Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy, and The Pelopennesian War by Donald Kagan are pretty comprehensive, IMHO.

The problem with Alexander and the Successors is that there is no extant historian as close to the events in question as people like Caesar, Ammianus, Thucydides, Sallust, and Cicero were.
  • Options
    Mr. F, I did reference the Kagan book above (I realise there's a multi-volume series, but haven't read it myself).

Point of order: there was Hieronymous of Cardia. Sidenote: one of the reasons we know so little of Lysimachus, despite him being one of the longest-living and most successful of the Diadochi, was because when he founded his own city (a commonly done thing) he cannibalised the art and forcibly moved the people of Cardia to do it. Hieronymus was not amused.
  • Options
    thanks guys
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited September 2018
    notme said:

rcs1000 said:

notme said:

Scott_P said:
    I absolutely agree. Total over reach. It’s not what the Supreme Court is supposed to be for. Maybe abortion was the first symptom of the Culture Wars?
    That’s a lesson the EU should heed. Being seen to impose cultural values from the centre is a mistake.

PS: I don’t think the action against Hungary and Poland over democratic backsliding is in this category.
  • Options
    Mr. Floater, np, always happy to ramble about history and so forth.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    edited September 2018

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Although it's unappealing to see a liar elected to the Supreme Court, it would help my betting if Kavanaugh were. I'm heavy on the Democrats for the mid-terms and I should think their prospects will be enhanced if K is waved through by a partisan Republican vote.

In fact I'm tempted to speculate that the Democrat strategy all along has been to sherpen the partisan divide so it becomes difficult for the Republicans to replace someone who has clearly become an electoral liabilty,

But then again are they that smart?

Btw, I've spent about six months of my life in the USA and been involved in three uncomfortable gun incidents. I think it's time I stopped going.
  • Options
    Haha.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Although it's unappealing to see a liar elected to the Supreme Court, it would help my betting if Kavanaugh were. I'm heavy on the Democrats for the mid-terms and I should think their prospects will be enhanced if K is waved through by a partisan Republican vote.

In fact I'm tempted to speculate that the Democrat strategy all along has been to sherpen the partisan divide so it becomes difficult for the Republicans to replace someone who has clearly become an electoral liabilty,

Btw, I've spent about six months of my life in the USA and been involved in three uncomfortable gun incidents. I think it's time I stopped going.
    Some have suggested it is the other way round and the Republicans have given up on elections and are concentrating on getting right wing judges appointed across the states.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Or stopped drawing your weapon :).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,769
    Scott_P said:
    Well everyone knows she is, they just don't want to take over right now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I have to ask, were more gun incidents occurring but they were not uncomfortable?

In all seriousness, that's a lot of incidents in a short period, were they all in the same area?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Or stopped drawing your weapon :).
    Yes, well, one of these days somebody is going to fire back...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2018
    Flake backs Kavanaugh, it's done.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Haha.

Someday soon remainers will say we had a soft Brexit because Boris didn't become PM.

The rest of us will shrug.

• Options
    On the matter of the housing market this is an immigrant we don't need.The evil Japanese Knotweed which after a recent legal ruling can take £20k off the price.of your house.Moneywise has done some good reports and You Gov polling has revealed fewer in one in 5 can even recognise this highly dangerous plant.People it seems are more scared of a cannabis plant.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

I have to ask, were more gun incidents occurring but they were not uncomfortable?

In all seriousness, that's a lot of incidents in a short period, were they all in the same area?
    Two were when I was a student and working on a gas station in San Francisco. Hold-ups were regular occurrences and the incidents I witnessed were probably about par for the course. There are less risky jobs than working on a gas station though, so take that into account.

The other was more recent and in a way more disturbing. We were walking a friend's dog in Upper NY State and wandered accidentally onto somebody's land. It's the kind of thing that could happen anywhere, but you wouldn't expect the lady of the house to come out brandishing a rifle. She had about six kids in tow and it looked like a scene from the Beverley Hillbillies. We were about fifty yards away so she would have needed to be a good shot, but we didn't hang around to find out.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018

The other was more recent and in a way more disturbing. We were walking a friend's dog in Upper NY State and wandered accidentally onto somebody's land. It's the kind of thing that could happen anywhere, but you wouldn't expect the lady of the house to come out brandishing a rifle. She had about six kids in tow and it looked like a scene from the Beverley Hillbillies. We were about fifty yards away so she would have needed to be a good shot, but we didn't hang around to find out.

You were walking? No wonder you were regarded as a threat.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Still has to get past Collins and Murkowski next week who've stayed quiet so far.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Scott_P said:
    That joke’s so last year. ;)

Hope they’ve got a printed background this year though, that was rediculously embarrassing to have the sign fall down when the PM was on stage.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, we eagerly await the Ladbrokes market on what goes wrong during May's speech.

Sinkhole? Set collapsing? Audience spontaneously walks out? Attack by bats?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Some have suggested it is the other way round and the Republicans have given up on elections and are concentrating on getting right wing judges appointed across the states.
    Sadly, both sides see it in their own best interest to keep perpetuating the culture wars, it’s unlikely to end well.

Good point about Republicans in the States, they’ve got hold of a lot of State Governors and Senates, seem determined to do all they can while they have that power.

I’d guess that if the GOP hold the US Senate in November, Trump will push for at least one more Judicial retirement, probably Samuel Alito who’s 68.

The Republican dream would be the forced retirement of one of the liberal justices due to ill health. Ruth Bader Ginsberg is 85 and Stephen Breyer is 80. Either of them being replaced with a Conservative would shape the court for the next two or three decades at least.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Hope so, put £11.52 on with Paddy...
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

And the $US is the reserve currency for the rest of the world's countries. And if the Federal Reserve can admit, as it did recently to a House Committee, that they had "lost" 1 trillion dollars and they had no idea where it went, then it does become a little worrying.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps he doesn't want to be associated with the raving lefties at "Fuck The Tories" C4 News?
  • Options
    All this judicial vetting procedure shows to me is that you have to take politicians out of the process entirely.

I know that isn't the US way - but there should be no executive or legislative involvement in the appointment of judges at any level.

It is the only way to stop this sort of car crash happening time after time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    There is a division on western nations between the likes of France and New Zealand which have birthrates around replacement level and the likes of Germany, Japan and Italy which have an average birthrates of barely 1 child per woman
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646

All this judicial vetting procedure shows to me is that you have to take politicians out of the process entirely.

I know that isn't the US way - but there should be no executive or legislative involvement in the appointment of judges at any level.

The process is set in the US Constitution, so near impossible to ammend.

It does seem extraordinarily partisan, with little scrutiny seemingly applied to the more run of the mill issues of competence.

• Options
    tpfkar said:

Read through the whole of this morning's discussion without commenting - but striking how no one is defending No Deal any more. I understand why we've been talking tough on this throughout the negotiations, but there's a different dynamic in play now, as we get to the business end. Will any serious politician (i.e. not UKIP) be prepared to call for no-deal at this stage, the likes of Liam Fox and Moggy have made hints but not really been prepared to go there.

No Deal means economic collapse, chaos in Ireland and indyref2 in Scotland.

Parliament will not accept No Deal without EUref2 and in any case it would be highly likely No Deal both ends May's premiership and leads to another general election, maybe even by Christmas
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It does seem extraordinarily partisan, with little scrutiny seemingly applied to the more run of the mill issues of competence.

I know it is constitutional - but things have moved on since it was written. It is clearly not fit for purpose in the modern era.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps he doesn't want to be associated with the raving lefties at "Fuck The Tories" C4 News?
    Nothing like Watto, but Boris looks as if he's lost a few pounds there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Sorry to go off-topic, but this is a really interesting article on the factors helping or hindering Ted Cruz's chances of re-election in Texas (and here's a bit at the end about Nevada as a bonus):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-our-model-thinks-beto-orourke-really-has-a-chance-in-texas/?ex_cid=2018-forecast

Interesting, but even with all their 'fundamentals' adjustment, it isn't that close.
    It's not inconceivable, but if O'Rourke were to pull it off, it would be a surprise.
    OTOH Bob Menendez in NJ is facing a tough challenger with constant ads on area TV about his recent run-in with the law, although he was acquitted through a mistrial and the feds deciding not to attempt a retrial. I think he'll win, because NJ isn't the sort of place that minds too much if you're a bit dodgy so long as you're bringing home the pork, but it might get a bit squeaky-bum for the Dems there.
    New Jersey, Florida, West Virginia, Montana, North Dakota, Missouri, and Indiana are all possible Republican pick-ups. It's quite possible the Dems flip one or two of Nevada, Arizona and Texas, but lose three of their existing states.
    Latest polls have the Dems ahead in all bar North Dakota of the seats they are defending and ahead in GOP held Nevada, Arizona and Tennessee and close behind in Texas. They could well take the Senate if that stays the case
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There is a division on western nations between the likes of France and New Zealand which have birthrates around replacement level and the likes of Germany, Japan and Italy which have an average birthrates of barely 1 child per woman

There is.

France has the best pro-natal policies in the world. Which I will be discussing in my next video.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

France has the best pro-natal policies in the world. Which I will be discussing in my next video.
    Should be interesting
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉
  • Options
    Up to 50 million Facebook account compromised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45686890

Ooops.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646

Foxy said:

I know it is constitutional - but things have moved on since it was written. It is clearly not fit for purpose in the modern era.
    The principle of division of powers was critical to the Constitutional authors, between states and federal governments, and between the 3 arms of federal government. Hence President nominating, and Legislature approving the SCOTUS appointments. It is a feature, not a bug though this nomination does perhaps raise the possibility of breaking that deadlock and creating Republican hegemony.
  • Options
    http://hurryupharry.org/2018/09/27/the-lynching-the-anti-israel-herd-at-the-labour-conference-yesterday/

Take a look at the pics - so, what motivates a great turn out for Labour nowadays?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Ooops.

50.000.000 facebook accounts! Sounds about as exciting as a night out in Hartlepool
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Floater said:

http://hurryupharry.org/2018/09/27/the-lynching-the-anti-israel-herd-at-the-labour-conference-yesterday/

Take a look at the pics - so, what motivates a great turn out for Labour nowadays?

Floater-Harry's Place-Israel. The team's back
  • Options
    And in other tech news:, US electronic voting machines are even more pants than suspected:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/09/e-voting-researchers-warn-of-hack-that-could-flip-the-electoral-college/

Totally, utterly borken. I'm starting to think that these are so bad that any state or country that uses them isn't really a democracy, but a sham. The rewards of hacking these machines is so great, and the hacking so easy, it *will* be happening.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉
    :)

Actually, my next but one video.

My next video is "The Trouble With Share Options".
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ooops.

50.000.000 facebook accounts! Sounds about as exciting as a night out in Hartlepool
    And far more exciting than a night out with you. ;)
  • Options

Ooops.

It’s too early to say they’re falling apart, but Facebook are having one avoidable problem after another at the moment. To add to that, politicians have them on their radar in many countries including the USA.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

Not the raciest of titles is it?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

And in other tech news:, US electronic voting machines are even more pants than suspected:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/09/e-voting-researchers-warn-of-hack-that-could-flip-the-electoral-college/

Totally, utterly borken. I'm starting to think that these are so bad that any state or country that uses them isn't really a democracy, but a sham. The rewards of hacking these machines is so great, and the hacking so easy, it *will* be happening.

Voting is a really interesting technical problem. So much so, that almost every technologist without a vested interest will tell you that the best way to conduct elections is with pencils and paper and people counting votes manually. It’s about the only situation where I think everyone is in agreement that technology just doesn’t work, among those of us who get paid to implement technology!
  • Options
    Come on Flake, back the ABA and do the right thing.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It’s about the only situation where I think everyone is in agreement that technology just doesn’t work, among those of us who get paid to implement technology!

I can think of another.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

Could you suggest a better one?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The principle of division of powers was critical to the Constitutional authors, between states and federal governments, and between the 3 arms of federal government. Hence President nominating, and Legislature approving the SCOTUS appointments. It is a feature, not a bug though this nomination does perhaps raise the possibility of breaking that deadlock and creating Republican hegemony.
    Is it still possible for there to be more than 9 SC Justices? Is it just convention?

wikipedia "The Judiciary Act of 1789 called for the appointment of six "judges." ... In 1869, however, the Circuit Judges Act returned the number of justices to nine, where it has since remained. President Franklin D. Roosevelt attempted to expand the Court in 1937."
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Is it still possible for there to be more than 9 SC Justices? Is it just convention?

wikipedia "The Judiciary Act of 1789 called for the appointment of six "judges." ... In 1869, however, the Circuit Judges Act returned the number of justices to nine, where it has since remained. President Franklin D. Roosevelt attempted to expand the Court in 1937."
    It could be done but would take the nuclear option of ending the filibuster* altogether first in order to then pass a new Act increasing the number.

* The filibuster has already been removed for federal judicial appointments but not for new laws AFAIK.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

"Equity inequity"?
  • Options

Roger said:

Ooops.

Rog is good value on a night out actually !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

I might be a while.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Voting is a really interesting technical problem. So much so, that almost every technologist without a vested interest will tell you that the best way to conduct elections is with pencils and paper and people counting votes manually. It’s about the only situation where I think everyone is in agreement that technology just doesn’t work, among those of us who get paid to implement technology!
    And the supposed benefits just don't seem worth the risk either.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

I could, but it would be a poor in-vest-ment. I'll issue you the first half today, and the remainder in three years.
  • Options
    Great piece in the evening standard from Nick Boles on the best way forward now for brexit:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/emperor-may-has-no-clothes-it-s-time-to-stop-fooling-us-all-on-brexit-a3948351.html.
    I'd give one more summit to see if she can get chequers agreed. If that fails then:
    1. Leave with no deal
    2. Assert rights under EEA treaty (ie stay in it)
    3. Apply to EFTA
    4. Negotiate long term Canada plus deal whilst in EEA.

as per Boles in his article. Gets rid of May's ni problem, exit bill, and hard deadline to negotiate trade deal. Less legally questionable than the transition period.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Deafbloke said:

Great piece in the evening standard from Nick Boles on the best way forward now for brexit:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/emperor-may-has-no-clothes-it-s-time-to-stop-fooling-us-all-on-brexit-a3948351.html.
    I'd give one more summit to see if she can get chequers agreed. If that fails then:
    1. Leave with no deal
    2. Assert rights under EEA treaty (ie stay in it)
    3. Apply to EFTA
    4. Negotiate long term Canada plus deal whilst in EEA.

as per Boles in his article. Gets rid of May's ni problem, exit bill, and hard deadline to negotiate trade deal. Less legally questionable than the transition period.

Yes, just reading it now. Boles recommends we leave via the EEA/EFTA and longer term try and negotiate a Canada style FTA ie a policy with some appeal to both Norway and Canada option backers and also acceptable to the EU unlike Chequers
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Delay in vote on BK 19 Mins and counting
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

In a well-implemented 'traditional' pen-and-paper based system, it's relatively easy to change a vote or two. However it does not scale well: the more votes you want to alter, the harder it becomes, and the more likely it is for the fraud to be detected and for you are to be caught.

The problem with electronic voting is that it can be as easy to change a thousand or a million votes as it is one vote: in fact, there might be more difficulty in altering votes subtly.
  • Options

Dems yakking on ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Ooops.

Rog is good value on a night out actually !
    "Good value" != exciting.

Then again I am neither 'good value' or exciting ...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It’s about the only situation where I think everyone is in agreement that technology just doesn’t work, among those of us who get paid to implement technology!

I can think of another.
    Dare to enlighten us?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I can think of another.
    Dare to enlighten us?
    The Irish border. ;)
  • Options
    Flake demanding a delay of 1 week in floor vote
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dems yakking on ?
    Republican Flake reportedly having second thoughts. Should be an FBI investigation.
  • Options

Good. There's no reason they can't wait a week.
  • Options

If Flake flips, it's all over for Kavanaugh.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Flake voted 'Yes' so it's done.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's been voted to move to the floor I think.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

The U.K. system works pretty well. We have an election, lots of people help out and we generally know the result by the next morning. If there’s any dispute we can repeat the count in a transparent way until everyone is happy with the result. The biggest issues we face are around voter registration and postal votes.

Depending on the exact system used, electronic voting gives problems with recounts, accessibility, audit, secret ballot, hardware failures, power, and data comms and security issues, even before we get into software bugs or deliberate hacking.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I can think of another.
    Dare to enlighten us?
    The Irish border. ;)
    I had a feeling it would be something Brexit-related. ;)

As we discussed the other day, an electronic customs system is easy to implement if there is the political will to do it, it’s a pretty straightforward program, although like every other government IT program they’d insist on trying to re-invent the wheel when they can buy a perfectly serviceable one off the shelf.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is.

Is it the oysters?😉

'Call the lawyers', 'Exercise the lawyers', 'Put the brakes on', 'A time-dependent contract too far', 'Holy Strikes Batman', 'A Black day in Scholes City'

Nope, no suggestions.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

It's been voted to move to the floor I think.
    11-10 but only if a vote on floor is delayed by 7 days.

Flake will vote against on floor if it is brought to a vote early next without FBI enquiry
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    GOP just can't let it end. More mess and drama
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

GOP just can't let it end. More mess and drama

We don't get that sort of thing over here.
This discussion has been closed.